or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple posts five new job listings for antenna engineers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple posts five new job listings for antenna engineers

post #1 of 62
Thread Starter 
Apple posted five new job listings for antenna engineers June 23, the day before iPhone 4 launched.

The listings, including three positions for an "Antenna Engineer - iPad/iPhone" and two for an "iPhone OTA Wireless Systems Engineer," join nine other open positions related to antenna design and testing for iOS devices, with the oldest dating back to last summer.

The most recent postings were highlighted in a blog post by Engadget, which said that Apple began hiring "the same day that we started seeing widespread reporting of the left-handed reception issues."

In addition to the nine antenna-related positions, Apple lists at least 388 open positions related to the iPhone, from Acoustics Engineers to Camera Design Engineers to a Cellular Systems Architect to Cellular Protocol Software Engineers to Embedded Display Driver Engineers to iOS Battery Life Engineers to Analog Sensor Design Engineers, and Bluetooth and WiFi Engineers.

The company is not acknowledging any problem with the iPhone 4 antenna design, and instead noting to customers calling AppleCare that "gripping almost any mobile phone in certain areas will reduce its reception. This is true of the iPhone 4, the iPhone 3GS, and many other phones we have tested. It is a fact of life in the wireless world."

Independent testing by Anandtech found that iPhone 4 does suffer the highest signal drop when holding the phone without a case, compared to the iPhone 3GS and Nexus One, but also noted that the iPhone 4 antenna system is "reception is absolutely definitely improved," over the iPhone 3GS.

A parallel test by Richard Gaywood reported a drop in data throughput when the phone was held without a cover in a way that appeared to allow skin contact to interfere with antenna performance. "This is a factor that doesn't apply to other modern cell phones, because other modern cell phones don't have electrically active components in contact with their bare skin," he wrote.

An iPhone user demonstrated in a Vimeo video that cupping the phone to cause its signal bar to reach zero did not have a discernible effect on the actual quality of the call, suggesting that phone's software may be excessively sensitive in reporting signal drop.

iPhone 4 Reception "Issue" Has No Real Effect on Calls from P S on Vimeo.
post #2 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The most recent postings were highlighted in a blog post by Engadget

is "highlighted" code-word for "we had no idea until another site broke the news"?
post #3 of 62
This is about as close as we are going to get to Apple publicly acknowledging its royal screw-up.

If only Steve Jobs had the humility to tell everyone he made a mistake instead of saying "you're holding it wrong" or "there is no problem".
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #4 of 62
Apple listed jobs for display and battery engineers so that means the display is shitty and the battery sucks, right?¡
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #5 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple listed jobs for display and battery engineers so that means the display is shitty and the battery sucks, right?¡

Heck, he must have fired the entire iPhone team based on this article. It's just Steve and Jony left now.
post #6 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple listed jobs for display and battery engineers so that means the display is shitty and the battery sucks, right?¡

Heh...

And those jobs posted for engineers at Siemens, Philips, GE and the like means that their engineering sucks too

Didn't you know companies only hire when they've had rabid bloggers complaining about a minority hardware issue?
post #7 of 62
post #8 of 62
Hiring antenna peeps? For what? Hmmm....
post #9 of 62
The hiring managers were probably given the headcount months ago. They would write the job description, get it through the HR department before it would show up in the public job listings.

It wouldn't be surprising if half of those job openings were in the final stages of candidate interviewing or have already been filled (i.e., the posting is a mere formality). Note: there are a bunch of Palm engineers looking for a change of scenery.

It's just business as usual.
post #10 of 62
Posted this a few days ago, antenna is working great, just not the bars. Digging around for the post.
post #11 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Hiring antenna peeps? For what? Hmmm....

To bend coat hangers.
post #12 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple listed jobs for display and battery engineers so that means the display is shitty and the battery sucks, right?¡

The hiring announcement has nothing to do with the thousands of reports of antenna malfunctions. Why? Because there is no antenna problem, period.

Everyone who is complaining about dropping signal is fabricating a story and using CGI effects.

Again for everyone else who has "problems" with their antennae: YOU ARE MAKING IT UP.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #13 of 62
These postings simply emphasize that the tin-foil-hat-wearing conspiracy-theorists honestly have no clue what's going on.

So they are hiring antenna engineers. So what? Apple is growing by leaps & bounds with their iOS products and they are constantly on the edge of innovation. They will certainly need more headcount to continue their R&D. The way corporations do their staffing, it just does not make any sense (except to you whiners) that Apple suddenly realized a goof after-the-fact and decided to suddenly increase their engineering department to do damage control. Makes no sense at all.

I'll bet you're all the same critics that complain why Apple doesn't hire more people when you felt they were ignoring OSX and shuffling people to work on iOS. This is exactly what they are doing. Just goes to show that you'll always have something to complain about.

My iPhone4 works great. Never a dropped call. Call-quality is leaps-and-bounds better compared to my 2g phone, and this is from San Francisco. That 5-bar fiasco seems more related (imho) to software algorithms than an actual (i.e. "real") problem.

Compared to the other handset makers, I'll place my trust that Apple will have a solution for this and snap you guys shut.
post #14 of 62
Shouldn't they have done this like months ago....?
Want to save America?

Vote Ron Paul for President in 2012
Reply
Want to save America?

Vote Ron Paul for President in 2012
Reply
post #15 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

The hiring announcement has nothing to do with the thousands of reports of antenna malfunctions. Why? Because there is no antenna problem, period.

Everyone who is complaining about dropping signal is fabricating a story and using CGI effects.

Again for everyone else who has "problems" with their antennae: YOU ARE MAKING IT UP.

You are succumbing to paranoia and hysteria, which is what almost all conspiracy theorists suffer from. And Bush ordered the World Trade Center to be blown up, right?
post #16 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

The hiring announcement has nothing to do with the thousands of reports of antenna malfunctions. Why? Because there is no antenna problem, period.

Everyone who is complaining about dropping signal is fabricating a story and using CGI effects.

Again for everyone else who has "problems" with their antennae: YOU ARE MAKING IT UP.

There is more than enough evidence to support an issue with a subset of iPhone 4s being shipped. To say otherwise a week after they've arrived is shortsighted. Do you honestly think it's in any way likely all those people and reviewers also experiencing this issue have made CGI videos?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #17 of 62
I have no problem believing that some people have a real problem with their iPhone 4 — and that that would be really irritating for them. After all, one wants to trust one's phone.

I'm pretty sure that different people can have very different effects on antennas (due to big differences in skin surface conductivity, fat layers etc.)

For instance, in my case (me being an alien), if I even walk near a radio antenna — it detunes!

Anyway, I tried this out on my iPhone 3G - trying to grip/squeeze the bottom part of it as tightly as possible, and yes — I managed to reduce the bars from 5 to 1! (although it went back up to five again while I was holding it ) Cool.

But generally I try to hold my phone like a normal human, ie. thumb one edge, index finger on the back and the remaining two (or three) fingers on the other edge.
post #18 of 62
Unlikely that this has any relation whatsoever to the iPhone 4 antenna debate going on.
post #19 of 62
At least have the decency to post a link to a second video where calls are a affected to show at least some level of balanced reporting. Even Leo Laporte admitted he's being affected by it.

http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=11158
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #20 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There is more than enough evidence to support an issue with a subset of iPhone 4s being shipped. To say otherwise a week after they've arrived is shortsighted. Do you honestly think it's in any way likely all those people and reviewers also experiencing this issue have made CGI videos?

Sol, I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #21 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Sol, I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic...

I'm pretty sure you read my mind.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #22 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Hiring antenna peeps? For what? Hmmm....

Perhaps they're to replace the previous ones.
post #23 of 62
It'll be interesting to see if this antenna design makes it to the next revision of the iPhone.

Remember that Mr. Ive's other stroke of genius, the recessed headphone jack on the original iPhone, wasn't a mistake either (but funnily enough was replaced with a standard headphone jack ASAP).
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
post #24 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

It'll be interesting to see if this antenna design makes it to the next revision of the iPhone.

Remember that Mr. Ive's other stroke of genius, the recessed headphone jack on the original iPhone, wasn't a mistake either (but funnily enough was replaced with a standard headphone jack ASAP).

Just curious, what was the justification for recessed headphone jack? Can you send some links?
post #25 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrkiran View Post

Just curious, what was the justification for recessed headphone jack? Can you send some links?

Sturdier and lower profile.
post #26 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Hey guys, cheer up. Microsoft has already killed the KIN

That is, by far, the best news I have heard all day.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #27 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

You are succumbing to paranoia and hysteria, which is what almost all conspiracy theorists suffer from. And Bush ordered the World Trade Center to be blown up, right?

Seriously, you don't think he had anything to do with it?
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #28 of 62
Returned mine today. After having the phone for a few days, I realized that I could live with my 3GS just fine, better in some ways. I found that I prefer the curved, "sticky" plastic back of the 3GS over the newer "boxy" form of iphone 4. -- just easier and more comfortable to hold IMO. The 3GS is also a bit lighter and less "dense" feeling; the trade off for a larger, more robust battery. And yes, I had reception issues from day 1 that did affect call quality. Incidentally, I tried the scotch tape trick which.. worked. I will surely miss that screen though.

..But what bugs me here is the fact that Apple knew that attenuation was going to be an issue(don't kid yourselves otherwise), yet had the balls to introduce the "bumper" for an absurd premium of$30. $14.99, ok fine but $30 is a goddamn insult to it's customers. *end rant*
post #29 of 62
The iPhone 4 launched on June 24, the antenna jobs have dates of June 16 and June 23 I believe. Therefore, the jobs postings have nothing to do with the alleged iPhone 4 antenna issues, they were already looking for antenna engineers for future development and probably to just simply make their antenna better for future development and who knows - maybe for the Verizon phone.
post #30 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Returned mine today. After having the phone for a few days, I realized that I could live with my 3GS just fine, better in some ways. I found that I prefer the curved, "sticky" plastic back of the 3GS over the newer "boxy" form of iphone 4. -- just easier and more comfortable to hold IMO. The 3GS is also a bit lighter and less "dense" feeling; the trade off for a larger, more robust battery. And yes, I had reception issues from day 1 that did affect call quality. Incidentally, I tried the scotch tape trick which.. worked. I will surely miss that screen though.

..But what bugs me here is the fact that Apple knew that attenuation was going to be an issue(don't kid yourselves otherwise), and had the balls to introduce the "bumper" for an absurd premium of$30. $14.99, ok fine but $30 is a goddamn insult to it's customers. *end rant*

Couldn't agree more. My iPhone 4 is out too. Back to good old 3GS. I too miss the screen and the camera.
post #31 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

The iPhone 4 launched on June 24, the antenna jobs have dates of June 16 and June 23 I believe. Therefore, the jobs postings have nothing to do with the alleged iPhone 4 antenna issues[...]

Walt Mossberg, who notably complained about iP4 connectivity, published his review in the WSJ on June 20th, in which he states "I've been testing the iPhone 4 for more than a week."

I've not had the opportunity to test the death grip on voice calls but on data communications, the death grip kills throughput immediately--and often completely--in areas of likely weak signal strength but 5 bars (before applying the death grip).

As for bumpers, I bought one so I don't have to hold the phone differently or wonder if I'm not getting the best possible Wi-Fi, BT, GSM and UMTS reception anywhere, any time. As for their price, IMHO bumpers are well designed and contain many more precision parts than perhaps any other iPhone/iPod case out there.
post #32 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Heck, he must have fired the entire iPhone team based on this article.

If I were Steve it certainly would have crossed my mind.

At minimum I would've held a close and friendly discussion with them. In the boardroom.
post #33 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Returned mine today. After having the phone for a few days, I realized that I could live with my 3GS just fine, better in some ways. I found that I prefer the curved, "sticky" plastic back of the 3GS over the newer "boxy" form of iphone 4. -- just easier and more comfortable to hold IMO. The 3GS is also a bit lighter and less "dense" feeling; the trade off for a larger, more robust battery. And yes, I had reception issues from day 1 that did affect call quality. Incidentally, I tried the scotch tape trick which.. worked. I will surely miss that screen though.

..But what bugs me here is the fact that Apple knew that attenuation was going to be an issue(don't kid yourselves otherwise), yet had the balls to introduce the "bumper" for an absurd premium of$30. $14.99, ok fine but $30 is a goddamn insult to it's customers. *end rant*

1) You could have made a couple hundred dollars on it from eBay or Craig's List. I did the same thing with my iPad WiFi, only later realizing it.

2) I disagree with your assessment of the reason the Bumpers exist. Your entire premise is that Apple knew some (not all) phones would be affected, and thought "no one scrutinizes our products so they'll never know a subset of iPhone 4s will have service issues." That makes absolutely no sense when a cheap fix at the factory would be an invisible film over the metal band.

3) People are saying it costs 3¢ to make the Bumper so there is no price that would make everyone happy. You eventually get to a point where, say, "it's only $2.99 they should give anyone one because they can afford it." It's silly! You shouldn't need a Bumper or any other insulator on the iPhone 4. Mine doesn't need it. Other people I know don't need it!
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #34 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

You are succumbing to paranoia and hysteria, which is what almost all conspiracy theorists suffer from. And Bush ordered the World Trade Center to be blown up, right?

Nicely said!
post #35 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

The hiring announcement has nothing to do with the thousands of reports of antenna malfunctions. Why? Because there is no antenna problem, period.

Everyone who is complaining about dropping signal is fabricating a story and using CGI effects.

Again for everyone else who has "problems" with their antennae: YOU ARE MAKING IT UP.

You don't own an iPhone 4, hysterical troll.

Also, if you'd ever had any exposure to math, you'd know that "thousands" of reports are a tiny proportion of the millions sold. Also, this is not a "malfunction." Keep masturbating, stop sharing.
post #36 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


An iPhone user demonstrated in a Vimeo video that cupping the phone to cause its signal bar to reach zero did not have a discernible effect on the actual quality of the call, suggesting that phone's software may be excessively sensitive in reporting signal drop.

iPhone 4 Reception "Issue" Has No Real Effect on Calls from P S on Vimeo.


Typical AI, scouring the web for anything that makes Apple look good, or Android look bad, and ignoring anything that doesn't fit these criteria.

The bit I have quoted is classic. PCmag.com actually did a test with data and found that it is more than just a glitch in the signal strength meter and that the signal is actually being affected:

Quote:
However, in an experiment conducted by PCMag.com Thursday, the iPhone 4 reception problem could indeed be replicated, with the so-called "death grip" where the iPhone 4 was held with fingers touching the three antenna "lines" circling the device causing the signal to drop.

In our testing, we discovered that the iPhone 4 "death grip" is definitely real. Using the Speedtest.net speed testing software, we started a test with the phone sitting on a tabletop. If we picked up the phone with a slightly sweaty hand and purposefully put one finger on each of the three "lines" around the edge of the device, with the corner tucked into the pad of the hand, the speed dropped dramatically and sometimes stalled out. Returning it to the tabletop caused things to speed up again.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2365650,00.asp
post #37 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) You could have made a couple hundred dollars on it from eBay or Craig's List. I did the same thing with my iPad WiFi, only later realizing it.

2) I disagree with your assessment of the reason the Bumpers exist. Your entire premise is that Apple knew some (not all) phones would be affected, and thought "no one scrutinizes our products so they'll never know a subset of iPhone 4s will have service issues." That makes absolutely no sense when a cheap fix at the factory would be an invisible film over the metal band.

3) People are saying it costs 3¢ to make the Bumper so there is no price that would make everyone happy. You eventually get to a point where, say, "it's only $2.99 they should give anyone one because they can afford it." It's silly! You shouldn't need a Bumper or any other insulator on the iPhone 4. Mine doesn't need it. Other people I know don't need it!

1) I know, and I had considered craigslist as well, but didn't just didn't want the hassle. Iphones do have incredible resale value.

2) I don't know, it seems like quite a coincidence to me, you know, especially since the bumper is just that, and not a fully protective case. But yes, in the same breath, I am perplexed as to why a coating/film wasn't added.

3) I can't agree with your rebuttle on this one. $30 is egregious pricing IMO. I'm willing to pay a fair premium for Apple products because they are usually of solid value, but $30? No way.
post #38 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockpop View Post

"thousands" of reports are a tiny proportion of the millions sold.

That's going to make the thousands of people who bought a piece of junk nice and happy. They are JUST in the unlucky 1% to spend several hundred dollars on a phone which can not make phone calls when held.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #39 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

2) I don't know, it seems like quite a coincidence to me, you know, especially since the bumper is just that, and not a fully protective case. But yes, in the same breath, I am perplexed as to why a coating/film wasn't added. .

They sold a case for the newly released iPad, too. They even sold socks for the iPod years ago. I don't think either one of those products indicated that there was an issue with the product. The protection over the antenna is purely coincidental. The device is flat on either end so capping the obvious rim so the glass ends don't touch a flat object makes perfect sense. Again, if the solution is insulation at a single point on the phone and it's known, then selling an expensive accessory is the worst possible way to handle the issue. The only rational conclusion is this isn't some huge conspiracy to sell Bumpers with Jobs sitting in his office crossing his fingers thinking "I hope people don't realize how we designed it to be defective so you'd be forced to by a Bumper."

Also, if they were designed because the external antenna was a problem and they couldn't put a layer of insulating spray over the frame during production, it seems likely that they would have included the Bumper with every iPhone 4, in the box and already on by default. They would have all been black-on-black or white-on-white, allowing the consumer to by the other colours, or maybe nicer ones as accessories. I guarantee you that if this was a "design flaw" the cost of a class action, just for a fraction of the lawyer fees, would be more than all the Bumpers they could have shipped on iPhone 4s in the box from day one. All this conspiracy talk makes no sense if we assume Apple has no idea how people tear their products apart and what people sue them over. I can assure everyone that they most certainly do.

Quote:
3) I can't agree with your rebuttle on this one. $30 is egregious pricing IMO. I'm willing to pay a fair premium for Apple products because they are usually of solid value, but $30? No way.

I bought a Bumper today. Not because I have an signal loss issues as I have none even when I don't have five bars. I bought it because the much smaller size coupled with the slightly heavier weight and dense feeling materials makes me wonder if I'm going to break it. As Andy Ihhatko stated, it's slippery and the Bumpers give you that added grip and insurance when using it. The metallic buttons on the Bumper make it feel right, too.

I paid $367.xx (with tax for my iPhone 4. I pay $80/month for AT&T service. I go out to restaurants and pay $50 for a steak and $10-20 for a drink. Since I'm not going to spend money per month for iPhone insurance that also comes with a hefty deductible I'll gladly spend $30 for something that makes me feel assured my investment is protected.


PS: Sold my 3GS on Craig's List for $275. Could have gotten quite a bit more a week earlier. Oh well.

PPS: A bit off topic, but the reason I sold my iPad was the mobileSafari cache issue. That is apparently a definitely bug with all other iOS devices having an unlimited cache and the iPad having 25Kb cache. LOL

http://www.yuiblog.com/blog/2010/06/...-cache-limits/
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #40 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

That's going to make the thousands of people who bought a piece of junk nice and happy. They are JUST in the unlucky 1% to spend several hundred dollars on a phone which can not make phone calls when held.

If only there was some way to return it for a refund and a cancelation of their contract or to sell it to some else for a huge profit. These people are so stuck!
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple posts five new job listings for antenna engineers