or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Why is AppleInsider overrun with right-wing extremists?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why is AppleInsider overrun with right-wing extremists?

post #1 of 227
Thread Starter 
Apple is a liberal and progressive company, partly because they cater to creative industries and the location of its headquarters.

So, I wonder why this forum has such a large number of seemingly right-wing political extremists who come here regularly? Why do they come here and post mostly in the PoliticalOutsider forum? You rarely see these same people participating in any other threads here. Why don't they go to a right-wing political site instead? Do they like the abuse? Do they like the depressing blue/gray color scheme here? Are they hoping to convince people that their failed ideas are still valid?

Help me unlock this AI PO enigma.
post #2 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Apple is a liberal and progressive company, partly because they cater to creative industries and the location of its headquarters.

So, I wonder why this forum has such a large number of seemingly right-wing political extremists who come here regularly? Why do they come here and post mostly in the PoliticalOutsider forum? You rarely see these same people participating in any other threads here. Why don't they go to a right-wing political site instead? Do they like the abuse? Do they like the depressing blue/gray color scheme here? Are they hoping to convince people that their failed ideas are still valid?

Help me unlock this AI PO enigma.

Apple is the type of company that tells you that you won't be getting a free bumper with your iPhone 4 and to hold it differently.

There have been dozens of people who have posted here of leftist persuasion. Their delusional inability to separate political disagreement from personal disagreement (the very same state that is causing your bewilderment above) is what led them to repeatedly break the posting guidelines and be perma-banned.

Like most on the left, they took even more extreme action after the bans but felt it must be okay because of course their intentions are good so the rules, the ownership of the board, the actual outcomes, well they could all go to hell.

The board ownership obviously didn't feel that way about it.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #3 of 227
It's ridiculous for anyone to assume he can convince anyone of anything in a venue such as an internet forum. I simply enjoy reading opinions and conversations regarding current events, politics, etc.

And I chime in when I feel so inclined.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #4 of 227
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Their delusional inability to separate political disagreement from personal disagreement (the very same state that is causing your bewilderment above) is what led them to repeatedly break the posting guidelines and be perma-banned.

And how many times have you been banned?
post #5 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Why do they come here and post mostly in the PoliticalOutsider forum?

Because speaking about the tremendous merits of Sarah Palin as president in the MacBook forum would not be proper...

post #6 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

And how many times have you been banned?

If you want to discuss personal information then PM's are best. You asked a general question and received a general answer.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #7 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

Because speaking about the tremendous merits of Sarah Palin as president in the MacBook forum would not be proper...


Also it's important to note that some of us have been here for a while. Times have changed. It's a little hard to argue the merits of the Motorola G4 over Intel chips when Apple now uses Intel chips as an example. Apple was on the verge of dying and needed strong advocacy back when many of us joined. That strong advocacy desire is still there but now Apple is the leader in MP3 players and smartphones and is the second most valuable U.S. company having surpassed both Microsoft and Dell.

I've been personally seeing the iPhone forums heat up now that Android is coming on so strong and have been posting there much more frequently. The forums themselves obviously see most of their views and posts there now. Lots has changed over the years.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #8 of 227
I would think that any truly random sampling of Americans would seem overrun with right-leaning folks simply because that represents a majority of Americans.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #9 of 227
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

Because speaking about the tremendous merits of Sarah Palin as president in the MacBook forum would not be proper...


No it wouldn't. And what exactly are those tremendous merits? I can only think of one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

If you want to discuss personal information then PM's are best. You asked a general question and received a general answer.

Why is that personal all of sudden? You're the one openly reminiscing about the "perma-bans" of other members, so, it's a perfectly legitimate question. How many times have you been banned? Are you reluctant to answer because it's only fun to talk about other members who were banned and not yourself?

I know you'd prefer to talk about all the other members you got banned, but, this one is all about you, Trumples!
post #10 of 227
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I would think that any truly random sampling of Americans would seem overrun with right-leaning folks simply because that represents a majority of Americans.

30% is a majority?
post #11 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

30% is a majority?

You should talk to segovious and other lefties on this board. According to them that number is MUCH higher.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #12 of 227
"Why is America overrun with right-wing extremists?"

FTFY
post #13 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Apple is a liberal and progressive company, partly because they cater to creative industries and the location of its headquarters.

So, I wonder why this forum has such a large number of seemingly right-wing political extremists who come here regularly? Why do they come here and post mostly in the PoliticalOutsider forum? You rarely see these same people participating in any other threads here. Why don't they go to a right-wing political site instead? Do they like the abuse? Do they like the depressing blue/gray color scheme here? Are they hoping to convince people that their failed ideas are still valid?

Help me unlock this AI PO enigma.


I think this thread could really use an answer from someone who isn't a right-wing extremist.

EDIT - exception, tonton

The short answer is:

There used to be quite a few moderates and liberals posting here regularly, but they've all grown frustrated with the constant repetition of right-wing talking-points and the ignoring of facts contrary to said talking points. As a result, they've either stopped posting, or been banned for being reported for expressing their frustration in a non-approved manner.

This disappearing lib/mod phenomenon has been especially pronounced in the last year or so.

If you go through some older, longer threads and start at the beginning, you will see the evidence of the above for yourself.

Examples of such threads would include

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=86217
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=74427
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=73876
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=62943
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=58654
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=55859
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=55725
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=53846
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=47799

and, more recently:
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=104998
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=99545
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=90447




and some of the disappeared (or nearly inactive) moderate or liberal posters would include:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=18326
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=9271
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=31733
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=28504
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=10495
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=16744

(all banned)

and
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=4249
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=3357
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=511
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=3967
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=13659
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=1913
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=392
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=6875
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=557
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=8147
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=22947
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=4573
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=1155
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=16141
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=62
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=52115
(all currently inactive, or nearly so)

You can view some of their posting histories for more evidence supporting my explanation.


Another factor that seems to affect internet political discussion in general: right-wingers are more obsessed with airing and sharing their political views than most liberals or moderates. This, by the way, is also the single biggest reason for the ratings success of FOX News.
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
post #14 of 227
Can we define what exactly a "right-wing extremist" is?

Is this defined as a collection of specific views/positions?

Is using the word "extremist" merely editorializing?

Is this an objectively definable thing or merely a matter of your point of view?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #15 of 227
+1 FormerLurker

There's no point in arguing with a brick wall. One thing I'll say about right-wing extremists. They are definitely stubborn to the point of being impervious to reason.
post #16 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Can we define what exactly a "right-wing extremist" is?

Is this defined as a collection of specific views/positions?

Is using the word "extremist" merely editorializing?

Is this an objectively definable thing or merely a matter of your point of view?

One example. Making any sort of connection between Obama's health plan and Soviet Communism. Anyone who can do that is beyond reason.
post #17 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

You should talk to segovious and other lefties on this board. According to them that number is MUCH higher.

Nah, it's just that a small percent of that 30% know how to scream the loudest.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #18 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Nah, it's just that a small percent of that 30% know how to scream the loudest.

No, seriously. Read sego's posts in the very recent past. According to him and others agreing with him, there is not but a handful of true left wing people in the US. Come to think of it. You were recently labled as a right winger by him. The is almost funnier than when you were labled as my girlfriend!
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #19 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

No, seriously. Read sego's posts in the very recent past. According to him and others agreing with him, there is not but a handful of true left wing people in the US. Come to think of it. You were recently labled as a right winger by him. The is almost funnier than when you were labled as my girlfriend!

I would agree with that as a general rule. Most people who we might consider left wing in the US are probably center right in the rest of the world.

I mean, if there was a true left wing party single payer healthcare would have been passed through without too much fuss at all, instead we have all these people on both sides of the aisle worrying about moochers, the extra costs associated with unhealthy people, and company profits, completely ignoring the fact that every other first world nation has been able to manage single payer healthcare.
post #20 of 227
There are honestly very few "real" left-wing Liberals in America. Those who do exist should all gang up and support Kucinich, who seems to be the only real Liberal in the government any more.
post #21 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I would think that any truly random sampling of Americans would seem overrun with right-leaning folks simply because that represents a majority of Americans.

Good point... this nation is indeed center right politically and primarily Christian in religious affiliation. Obama and his far leftist atheist pals comprise the minority. Thus this forum, if expressing a conservative message from time to time, is simply reflecting the majority view.
post #22 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

Obama and his far leftist atheist pals...

LMFAO.

Case and point. Extremist.

Obama has proven again and again that he stands where most around the world will consider him far right of center.
post #23 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

One example. Making any sort of connection between Obama's health plan and Soviet Communism. Anyone who can do that is beyond reason.

Well this a broad characterization and doesn't really make much effort to answer my serious questions. But I'll bit anyway.

So you say "Making any sort of connection between Obama's health plan and Soviet Communism" is an example of "right-wing extremism?"

But what if there are valid comparative links to make? What if someone is not simplistically saying "ObamaCare is Soviet Communism" but, instead, is saying something like "Hey, I see some similarities between this policy prescription and policy prescriptions under communist systems of the past, including the Soviet Communist system?"

Are you simply trying to make the blanket statement that any comparison of Obama (or other Democratic) policies to discredited political/economic systems of history is "right-wing extremism?" Or would it actually be valid to note the similarities when they do exist?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #24 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

30% is a majority?



Actually per Gallup, it is at 42% which is double the percentage that will call themselves liberal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerLurker View Post

The short answer is:

There used to be quite a few moderates and liberals posting here regularly, but they've all grown frustrated with the constant repetition of right-wing talking-points and the ignoring of facts contrary to said talking points. As a result, they've either stopped posting, or been banned for being reported for expressing their frustration in a non-approved manner.

This disappearing lib/mod phenomenon has been especially pronounced in the last year or so.

Another factor that seems to affect internet political discussion in general: right-wingers are more obsessed with airing and sharing their political views than most liberals or moderates. This, by the way, is also the single biggest reason for the ratings success of FOX News.

The even shorter answer to your question lies at the premise of this thread which is that liberals presume control and throw a tantrum or quit when they can't have it. Stranger still is to blame their own ACTIONS, on everyone else. Look at all the colorful euphemisms there.

They didn't express their "frustration in a non-approved manner" they went off on people and couldn't tolerate their own ban and then went off on the board mods and operators.

You go into a thread and do something like call someone a racist, wife-beating cunt and then get a ban for that, and then create multiple duplicate accounts to come back and keep doing the same thing, you end up perma-banned.

Such actions do not reflect a slip up related to frustration. They reflect malicious intent.

As for ignoring facts, they don't have the facts on their side and that has become plain enough to them now, especially with the last four years of Democratic Congressional control and last two years of Obama, and that has disillusioned a lot of them.

Here is a fact. The left has gone from "General Betray Us?" to just having the Senate confirm him 99-0 to help save OBAMA'S war in Afghanistan. Here' another fact, the group declaring they were fiscally sane and that $250 billion a year deficits were morally wrong are now having to defending trillion dollar a year deficits. They've gone from Bush can't deal with New Orleans to Obama can't deal with BP and the Gulf.

Most just can't stomach the hypocrisy of defending full reversals of said positions and wisely shut up. Who would want to defend such positions? Also the threads you posted show the group think with regard to Bush and with regard to creating caricatures. Those caricature are fully formed for them now after 8 years of Bush and they certainly have no need to question them now with the Democrats in power. They are just going to keep repeating them to themselves until Democratic loss of control snaps them out of their trance and forces them to come back to reality.

Until then they just keep repeating it. Bush/God/Guns/Gays/Palin/ID/Warmonger/Cheney/Haliburton/Iraq/White People racist/Greedy Rich etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

+1 FormerLurker

There's no point in arguing with a brick wall. One thing I'll say about right-wing extremists. They are definitely stubborn to the point of being impervious to reason.

Yes, and that impervious reasoning apparently is going to be either close to a majority or an actual majority this November after two years of Obama. Isn't it amazing how all the people actually living under the control of the Obama government see it differently than you do? You mentioned coming back to California soon. Let's have that beer and we can discuss how California can no longer build infrastructure aka make concrete for public works unless it can be proven carbon neutral and how their is an actual initiative on the ballot to counter-act this law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsLan^ View Post

I would agree with that as a general rule. Most people who we might consider left wing in the US are probably center right in the rest of the world.

I mean, if there was a true left wing party single payer healthcare would have been passed through without too much fuss at all, instead we have all these people on both sides of the aisle worrying about moochers, the extra costs associated with unhealthy people, and company profits, completely ignoring the fact that every other first world nation has been able to manage single payer healthcare.

You know I'm not sure what I would call the left in the U.S. except true utopians. I've noted left wing examples through out the world they could follow and they just don't. Even the soviets were willing to exploit natural resources to help the common man. The left in the U.S. just want the common man to die and go away to save the planet. France will build nuclear reactors. The U.S. cannot. Canada will drill for oil and mine for minerals. In the U.S. we can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

Good point... this nation is indeed center right politically and primarily Christian in religious affiliation. Obama and his far leftist atheist pals comprise the minority. Thus this forum, if expressing a conservative message from time to time, is simply reflecting the majority view.

That and the Democratic Congress and Obama have proven so completely and utterly incompetent on all levels that no one, even someone who agrees with them politically, cares to defend them any more. It may have taken Republilcans 12 years of Congressional control and 6 years of Bush to reach that point but the Democrats have gotten there in record time.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #25 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

LMFAO.

Case and point. Extremist.

Obama has proven again and again that he stands where most around the world will consider him far right of center.

Hmmm. Trying to figure out why this is a "case and [sic] point" exactly. Does calling someone an extremist make you an extremist? Does calling someone a far-left extremist make someone extremist? Does characterizing someone, politically, differently than you see them make someone an extremist?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #26 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Obama has proven again and again that he stands where most around the world will consider him far right of center.

tonton: do try to read posts before making a point about them; my post DID NOT speak to "most around the world" but the demographic of this nation =>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David

Good point... this nation is indeed center right politically and primarily Christian in religious affiliation. Obama and his far leftist atheist pals comprise the minority. Thus this forum, if expressing a conservative message from time to time, is simply reflecting the majority view.

What "most around the world" think, in terms of this nation, is irrelevant, at least as far as the point under discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

One example. Making any sort of connection between Obama's health plan and Soviet Communism. Anyone who can do that is beyond reason.

There is a link between state-provided care, health treatment, and communism so dismissing it casually as you have done is disingenuous.
post #27 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerLurker View Post

I think this thread could really use an answer from someone who isn't a right-wing extremist.

EDIT - exception, tonton

The short answer is:

There used to be quite a few moderates and liberals posting here regularly, but they've all grown frustrated with the constant repetition of right-wing talking-points and the ignoring of facts contrary to said talking points. As a result, they've either stopped posting, or been banned for being reported for expressing their frustration in a non-approved manner.

This disappearing lib/mod phenomenon has been especially pronounced in the last year or so.

If you go through some older, longer threads and start at the beginning, you will see the evidence of the above for yourself.

Examples of such threads would include

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=86217
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=74427
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=73876
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=62943
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=58654
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=55859
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=55725
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=53846
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=47799

and, more recently:
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=104998
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=99545
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=90447




and some of the disappeared (or nearly inactive) moderate or liberal posters would include:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=18326
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=9271
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=31733
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=28504
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=10495
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=16744

(all banned)

and
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=4249
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=3357
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=511
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=3967
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=13659
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=1913
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=392
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=6875
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=557
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=8147
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=22947
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=4573
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=1155
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=16141
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=62
http://forums.appleinsider.com/member.php?u=52115
(all currently inactive, or nearly so)

You can view some of their posting histories for more evidence supporting my explanation.


Another factor that seems to affect internet political discussion in general: right-wingers are more obsessed with airing and sharing their political views than most liberals or moderates. This, by the way, is also the single biggest reason for the ratings success of FOX News.

Trajectory

This is the correct answer. They became frustrated with the constant assault, circular logic, and being talked at not with. So they lost their cool and got banned or just left in frustration. There are still many of us here however.

Also I wouldn't say that PO represents a good microcosmic cross section of what's happening in the world. Liberals had a very strong presence during the 8 long years of Bush. What you're seeing is only reflective of here. This isn't the real world by a long shot.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #28 of 227
I love the logic that states the rational ones lost their cool and got banned by acting irrationally and the irrational ones continued on without getting banned because they were so rational in applying their irrationality.

Talk about some twisted reasoning!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #29 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I love the logic that states the rational ones lost their cool and got banned by acting irrationally and the irrational ones continued on without getting banned because they were so rational in applying their irrationality.

Talk about some twisted reasoning!

Extremist.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #30 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

tonton: do try to read posts before making a point about them; my post DID NOT speak to "most around the world" but the demographic of this nation =>

What "most around the world" think, in terms of this nation, is irrelevant, at least as far as the point under discussion.



There is a link between state-provided care, health treatment, and communism so dismissing it casually as you have done is disingenuous.

Even in terms of this nation, to say Obama is "far leftist atheist" is batshit crazy far-right wignut extremist talk.
post #31 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Hmmm. Trying to figure out why this is a "case and [sic] point" exactly. Does calling someone an extremist make you an extremist? Does calling someone a far-left extremist make someone extremist? Does characterizing someone, politically, differently than you see them make someone an extremist?

Calling Obama far leftist atheist does indeed. It is insane. Totally oblivious of the truth.

Bill Clinton was right of center. Obama is right of Reagan, for christsakes.
post #32 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I love the logic that states the rational ones lost their cool and got banned by acting irrationally and the irrational ones continued on without getting banned because they were so rational in applying their irrationality.

Talk about some twisted reasoning!

You act like you've never gotten banned ( just not in a permanent sense ). Were you acting irrationally then?
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #33 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

You act like you've never gotten banned ( just not in a permanent sense ). Were you acting irrationally then?

No I don't think I was and as I said all humans have bias and points where they are irrational and in this instance I think I hit that particular button for our moderator.

However where I acted quite rationally is I just took the time off and went about my regular business and came back and had no problems. When or if the Kennedy's come up again, I'll either tiptoe around that topic or else be prepared to enjoy some days off.

What I didn't do is create a second (or fourth or fifth) account called Trumptman's Return or Trumptman Wants Kennedy Dead or Trumptman thinks you are all pig fuckers, and then come back here spewing crap all over the forums talking about how wronged I was and how this board and all who run it suck, etc.

If I had done that, then yes I would have been behaving irrationally and those who have done that are behaving irrationally.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #34 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Calling Obama far leftist atheist does indeed. It is insane. Totally oblivious of the truth.

Bill Clinton was right of center. Obama is right of Reagan, for christsakes.

And Obama is not an atheist.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #35 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

No I don't think I was and as I said all humans have bias and points where they are irrational and in this instance I think I hit that particular button for our moderator.

However where I acted quite rationally is I just took the time off and went about my regular business and came back and had no problems. When or if the Kennedy's come up again, I'll either tiptoe around that topic or else be prepared to enjoy some days off.

What I didn't do is create a second (or fourth or fifth) account called Trumptman's Return or Trumptman Wants Kennedy Dead or Trumptman thinks you are all pig fuckers, and then come back here spewing crap all over the forums talking about how wronged I was and how this board and all who run it suck, etc.

If I had done that, then yes I would have been behaving irrationally and those who have done that are behaving irrationally.

Quote:
What I didn't do ..........

Did all of the people we were discussing do that?
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #36 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Trajectory

This is the correct answer. They became frustrated with the constant assault, circular logic, and being talked at not with. So they lost their cool and got banned or just left in frustration. There are still many of us here however.

Also I wouldn't say that PO represents a good microcosmic cross section of what's happening in the world. Liberals had a very strong presence during the 8 long years of Bush. What you're seeing is only reflective of here. This isn't the real world by a long shot.

The Internet is not the "real political world" either - it is a self-selected group that enjoys discussing or arguing politics.

That said, the most obvious and simplist explanation for the lack of participation is that , in general, they don't have the fortitude to discuss or argue in a more civil manner. The decline, I suspect, started when the mods started clamping down on invective and personal insults. Hence, the need to present an argument that is both logical and supported.

As T. pointed out, it is quite inventive to claim that the rational "left" people are gone because they became irrational and emotional and were sometimes banned, while the irrational right stayed because they were less prone to bouts of irrational and rude discourse that results in banning.

So why do more rightists come to argue? Perhaps it is because the informed like to share knowledge with the less informed. After all, being altrustic sorts, we don't like folks to dwell in darkness
post #37 of 227
My 2 cents: Right-wingers have a very low 'quality threshold' to coin a phrase (ie any old crap will suffice in general) which I think might be linked to lower IQ levels but am not sure.

Couple this with the fact that to them truth and facts are malleable - ie interchangeable to convey the point they are trying to make and you have a situation where they will be able to stick it out longer than anyone else.

Lefties will get fatigued and leave before the Right even notice something is noxious - which to them of course it isn't.

I suppose a fair analogy would be stick a bunch of rocket scientists in the gorilla house at the zoo and they might have a go on the swinging tyres for a few days but soon they will be thinking of escape.

The gorillas meanwhile will probably never notice they are in captivity. I know it's a poor analogy because gorillas are noble and intelligent beasts but you get the picture...
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #38 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxParrish View Post

The Internet is not the "real political world" either - it is a self-selected group that enjoys discussing or arguing politics.

That said, the most obvious and simplist explanation for the lack of participation is that , in general, they don't have the fortitude to discuss or argue in a more civil manner. The decline, I suspect, started when the mods started clamping down on invective and personal insults. Hence, the need to present an argument that is both logical and supported.

As T. pointed out, it is quite inventive to claim that the rational "left" people are gone because they became irrational and emotional and were sometimes banned, while the irrational right stayed because they were less prone to bouts of irrational and rude discourse that results in banning.

So why do more rightists come to argue? Perhaps it is because the informed like to share knowledge with the less informed. After all, being altrustic sorts, we don't like folks to dwell in darkness

Quote:
they don't have the fortitude to discuss or argue in a more civil manner

Max

What we didn't do is list all the right wingers here who aren't here anymore because they have been banned as they couldn't discuss things in a civil manner.

I know some didn't like the increased inforcement of the rules however before Lundy as mod this really was kind of the " Wild West " of political forums.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #39 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Max

What we didn't do is list all the right wingers here who aren't here anymore because they have been banned as they couldn't discuss things in a civil manner.

I know some didn't like the increased enforcement of the rules however before Lundy as mod this really was kind of the " Wild West " of political forums.

I rather enjoy a bit of rudeness; but one might expect that given that I have also enjoyed HL Mencken's writings as well. Is there no room for the clever shot? For example (forgive my poor memory for quotes) "I have too much respect for your intelligence to believe that you believe what you just said"... (WFB).

Okay, it is a backhand way of saying to a person that he/she is BSing...but it is amusing.
post #40 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxParrish View Post

I rather enjoy a bit of rudeness; but one might expect that given that I have also enjoyed HL Mencken's writings as well. Is there no room for the clever shot? For example (forgive my poor memory for quotes) "I have too much respect for your intelligence to believe that you believe what you just said"... (WFB).

Okay, it is a backhand way of saying to a person that he/she is BSing...but it is amusing.

What was going on went way beyond that. Like a certain member calling me a " Dick ". When stuff like that happens communication has ceased. After that there's no point in talking.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Why is AppleInsider overrun with right-wing extremists?