or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Why is AppleInsider overrun with right-wing extremists?

Why is AppleInsider overrun with right-wing extremists? - Page 2

post #41 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

What was going on went way beyond that. Like a certain member calling me a " Dick ". When stuff like that happens communication has ceased. After that there's no point in talking.

Go back to the Fireside Chat days. This forum is downright civil compared to then. Even in the pre-Lundy days. And going off about name calling for either side the political spectrum here is disingenuous at best. I think that has less to do with political stripe than it does with maturity level.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #42 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Go back to the Fireside Chat days. This forum is downright civil compared to then. Even in the pre-Lundy days. And going off about name calling for either side the political spectrum here is disingenuous at best. I think that has less to do with political stripe than it does with maturity level.

Go back to say 03' in PO on and see if that was true.

Quote:
And going off about name calling for either side the political spectrum here is disingenuous at best.

In the 10 years I have been coming to AI ( before the blackout in 2000 or was it 01' so much time has gone by ) I have never had to stoop to calling someone a body part. When you start doing something like that there's no real communication on the subject anymore.

Quote:
I think that has less to do with political stripe than it does with maturity level

In this we are in total agreement!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #43 of 227
Quote:

Go back to say 03' in PO on and see if that was true.

In the 10 years I have been coming to AI ( before the blackout in 2000 or was it 01' so much time has gone by ) I have never had to stoop to calling someone a body part. When you start doing something like that there's no real communication on the subject anymore.

In this we are in total agreement!

I have been here, prior to the blackout as well. You will find that my name calling has not gone much further than "idiot". However, I was not saying you do name calling, but that both sides of the spectrum here are not innocent.

Glad we agree on something.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #44 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

I have been here, prior to the blackout as well. You will find that my name calling has not gone much further than "idiot". However, I was not saying you do name calling, but that both sides of the spectrum here are not innocent.

Glad we agree on something.

Quote:
However, I was not saying you do name calling,

Hey! I know you weren't.

I'm just saying when that stuff starts you might as well be singing the national anthem for all the good it will do for communication.

And yes both sides have done it.
post #45 of 227
Rather I think Obama's obvious failures become difficult and unfun to defend and so his supports don't bother anymore.
post #46 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Rather I think Obama's obvious failures become difficult and unfun to defend and so his supports don't bother anymore.

Uh no. Because what's talked about here is much larger than just Obama or Bush.
post #47 of 227
Quote:

Unlike Republicans who will defend their politicians no matter how stupid and wrong they are.
post #48 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Unlike Republicans who will defend their politicians no matter how stupid and wrong they are.

Uhhh...I've seen a fair amount of defense of Obama no matter how stupid and wrong he is.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #49 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Uhhh...I've seen a fair amount of defense of Obama no matter how stupid and wrong he is.

Of course you'd say that, you're a Republican. Incapable of critical thinking and only seeing what your Republican goggles allow through (i.e., FOX News).

Plenty of Liberals have criticized various Obama policies openly and publicly. The difference is that we don't demonize the man and every little thing he says and does the way you do.
post #50 of 227
Quote:

Of course you'd say that, you're a Republican. Incapable of critical thinking and only seeing what your Republican goggles allow through (i.e., FOX News).

How clever. Let's dissect and translate this shall we?

1. When you claim "Republicans who will defend their politicians no matter how stupid and wrong they are." you are being objective, unbiased and thinking critically, but when someone else claims that many Obama supporters also "defend their politicians no matter how stupid and wrong they are." this then is merely tunnel vision, partisan blindness from someone "Incapable of critical thinking." Brilliant.

2. Your critical thinking skills lead you to assume (incorrectly) that I am: a) a Republican, b) looking at things only through "Republican goggles", c) "Incapable of critical thinking" and, d) a regular Fox News watcher (and regurgitator). Again, brilliant.

Quote:

Plenty of Liberals have criticized various Obama policies openly and publicly.

Here we have an insight into both your critical thinking and reading comprehension skills. I have not claimed that liberals have not "criticized various Obama policies openly and publicly." I merely said that I've seen a fair amount of defense of Obama no matter how stupid and wrong he is.

I was tempted to borrow from one of MaxParrish's earlier posts and say:

"I have too much respect for your intelligence to believe that you believe what you just said"

But my tongue would snap right out of my mouth and I'd likely be struck by lightning instantly.

post #51 of 227
Quote:

How clever. Let's dissect and translate this shall we?

Oh, do lets!!

Quote:

1. When you claim "Republicans who will defend their politicians no matter how stupid and wrong they are." you are being objective, unbiased and thinking critically, but when someone else claims that many Obama supporters also "defend their politicians no matter how stupid and wrong they are." this then is merely tunnel vision, partisan blindness from someone "Incapable of critical thinking." Brilliant.

Exactly! Doesn't it feel good to use your brain for a change? I am brilliant, aren't I.

Quote:

2. Your critical thinking skills lead you to assume (incorrectly) that I am: a) a Republican, b) looking at things only through "Republican goggles", c) "Incapable of critical thinking" and, d) a regular Fox News watcher (and regurgitator). Again, brilliant.

Thanks! But you already said I was brilliant earlier, no need to grovel.

Quote:

I was tempted to borrow from one of MaxParrish's earlier posts and say:

"I have too much respect for your intelligence to believe that you believe what you just said"

But my tongue would snap right out of my mouth and I'd likely be struck by lightning instantly.

LOL! You are SOOOOO funny!! What wit! I'd sure get a kick out of seeing that lightning strike. Will there also be thunder?
post #52 of 227
Quote:

And I still will defend Obama on some things. I just have issues with other things he's done or hasn't. I still like him better than the two mavericks ( ) or Bush. If the president's job was just one thing your statement might have merit.
post #53 of 227
( Note to Self: Don't feed trolls. )

post #54 of 227
Quote:

I've said the very same thing myself!
post #55 of 227
Quote:

And I still will defend Obama on some things. I just have issues with other things he's done or hasn't. I still like him better than the two mavericks ( ) or Bush. If the president's job was just one thing your statement might have merit.

So then Trajectory's statement: "Unlike Republicans who will defend their politicians no matter how stupid and wrong they are."

Has no merit either?

My statement wasn't that Obama doesn't do anything right and people still defend him its that when he does things that are "stupid and wrong" he still has a wide array of defenders for those actions also. Do deny this is either lying or willful ignorance. The point here is that this sort of blind partisanship exists going both ways but some (Trajectory seems to be an example, you also at times) try to pretend that this is an affliction of conservatives and Republicans only.

post #56 of 227
Gosh! Which post will appear first ( grabs popcorn )?
post #57 of 227
Quote:

Yes, that's right, I'm a troll. A Liberal Trolley Troller Troll. My entire reason for being here and creating this account is to troll AI and you.

Wow, you're good. I just can't fool someone as clever as you.

I bow down in front of your superior intellect and witty witticisms.
post #58 of 227
Quote:

So then Trajectory's statement: "Unlike Republicans who will defend their politicians no matter how stupid and wrong they are."

Has no merit either?

My statement wasn't that Obama doesn't do anything right and people still defend him its that when he does things that are "stupid and wrong" he still has a wide array of defenders for those actions also. Do deny this is either lying or willful ignorance. The point here is that this sort of blind partisanship exists going both ways but some (Trajectory seems to be an example, you also at times) try to pretend that this is an affliction of conservatives and Republicans only.

Let me say it slowly for youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. If one item was on the agenda that might be true. However Bush in my view had very little going for him across the board. There's alot I like about Obama. Some I don't. It isn't enough to make me pick a Republican ( or some independent candidiate who claims to be different who really isn't or worse and has no chance of being elected ) over him.
post #59 of 227
Quote:

Yes, that's right, I'm a troll. A Liberal Trolley Troller Troll. My entire reason for being here and creating this account is to troll AI and you.

Wow, you're good. I just can't fool someone as clever as you.

I bow down in front of your superior intellect and witty witticisms.

Read your PMs.
post #60 of 227
Okay, look. This has nothing to do with "you don't criticize Obama enough," or "you didn't criticize Bush enough." They are straw-man arguments.

This is all about Republicans/Conservatives wanting to push their regressive, Dark Ages view of the world, and Democrats/Liberals wanting to push their progressive, Enlightenment view of the world.

Some people are just happier living in the past, while some of us would like to move on into the future.

Now let's watch them twist and turn this very simple, true statement into hair-splitting mind-blowing nonsense.
post #61 of 227
Quote:

Okay, look. This has nothing to do with "you don't criticize Obama enough," or "you didn't criticize Bush enough." They are straw-man arguments.

This is all about Republicans/Conservatives wanting to push their regressive, Dark Ages view of the world, and Democrats/Liberals wanting to push their progressive, Enlightenment view of the world.

Some people are just happier living in the past, while some of us would like to move on into the future.

Now let's watch them twist and turn this very simple, true statement into hair-splitting mind-blowing nonsense.

Yes let's all just go back to the 50's! Weren't they nice ( McCarthyism and all )! Except that the 50's led to all of this ( they always ignore that fact ).

And the 50's have about as much chance of addressing modern issues as me trying to live like I was 20 again!

How's that for a self abasing metaphor?
post #62 of 227
Quote:

Yes let's all just go back to the 50's! Weren't they nice ( McCarthyism and all )! Except that the 50's led to all of this ( they always ignore that fact ).

Actually, my theory is that they still haven't accepted that they lost the Civil War and continue to fight it to this day. In other words, they are sore losers and are intent on making all of America suffer.
post #63 of 227
Quote:

Actually, my theory is that they still haven't accepted that they lost the Civil War and continue to fight it to this day. In other words, they are sore losers and are intent on making all of America suffer.

I tell ya' The South Shall Rise Again!
post #64 of 227
Quote:

Let me say it slowly for youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Quote:

If one item was on the agenda that might be true.

I think you are the one that needs to have things explained slowly in order to understand them...and even then it's a crap shoot.

Quote:

However Bush in my view had very little going for him across the board. There's alot I like about Obama. Some I don't.

Bush did everything wrong. Obama does most things right. I get how you see things.

Quote:

It isn't enough to make me pick a Republican ( or some independent candidiate who claims to be different who really isn't or worse and has no chance of being elected ) over him.

Good for you.

post #65 of 227
Quote:

Read your PMs.

Oh dear, jimmac and Trajectory are going to whisper about me behind my back.

post #66 of 227
Quote:

I think you are right here on this point... Obama's cadre of advocates built him up to be some sort of deity and now the poor liberal leftists are so disappointed with the village idiot's performance... I just read that not a single Democrat running for office this fall wants Obama to campaign for them in their state... that's the kiss of death for a Democrat these days... be seen with Obama... he's like the bubonic plague... so when Democrats read about that they get sad and refuse to discuss it herein...
post #67 of 227
What's funny is that being president, any president, is not easy. Obama had it all set in his mind that the reason why Bush was so unpopular was because Bush was doing it "wrong" and Obama thought he would obviously do it "right". But there is no "right" these days only "wrong".

What's that quote: What makes a good movie? Three good scenes and no bad ones.
post #68 of 227
Quote:

If you actually think the term "progressive" means forward-leaning, then you disqualify yourself from being taken seriously.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #69 of 227
Progressive as in progressive lenses?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #70 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

If you actually think the term "progressive" means forward-leaning, then you disqualify yourself from being taken seriously.

If there was one person who would even have trouble with the word " Progessive " it's you.

Quote:
pro·gres·sive   /prəˈgrɛsɪv/ Show Spelled[pruh-gres-iv] Show IPA
–adjective
1. favoring or advocating progress, change, improvement, or reform, as opposed to wishing to maintain things as they are, esp. in political matters: a progressive mayor.
2. making progress toward better conditions; employing or advocating more enlightened or liberal ideas, new or experimental methods, etc.: a progressive community.
3. characterized by such progress, or by continuous improvement.
4. ( initial capital letter ) of or pertaining to any of the Progressive parties in politics.
5. going forward or onward; passing successively from one member of a series to the next; proceeding step by step.
6. noting or pertaining to a form of taxation in which the rate increases with certain increases in taxable income.
7. of or pertaining to progressive education: progressive schools.
8. Grammar . noting a verb aspect or other verb category that indicates action or state going on at a temporal point of reference.
9. Medicine/Medical . continuously increasing in extent or severity, as a disease.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/progressive
post #71 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Progressive as in progressive lenses?

Yes. So you can see reality better.
post #72 of 227
Quote:

If there was one person who would even have trouble with the word " Progessive " it's you.

Yeah, well "liberal" has to do with liberty too but it has been quite a while since many self-proclaimed modern day liberals really care much about liberty. So...

post #73 of 227
Quote:

No, jimmac. That is not what progressive means in the political sense. Does Republican mean "one who favors the Republic?" Does Democrat mean "one who believes in Democracy?" Of course not. Words have different meanings in different contexts. Welcome to the English language.

Progressivism is favors redistribution, greater government control. It tends to be pro-labor, anti-wealth, etc. It now includes concepts such as "social justice" and "economic justice." It's essentially communism-light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressivism

Quote:
Today, most progressive politicians in the United States associate with the Democratic Party or the Green Party US. In the US Congress there exists the Congressional Progressive Caucus, which is often in opposition to the more conservative Democrats, who form the Blue Dogs caucus. Some of the more notable progressive members of Congress have included Dennis Kucinich, Barney Frank, Bernie Sanders, Sherrod Brown, John Lewis, and Paul Wellstone.

Quote:
American progressives tend to support international economics: they advocate progressive taxation and oppose the growing influence of corporations. Progressives are in agreement on an international scale with left-liberalism in that they support organized labor and trade unions, they usually wish to introduce a living wage, and they often support the creation of a universal health care system. Yet progressives tend to be more concerned with environmentalism than mainstream liberals[citation needed] In the United States, liberals and progressives are often conflated, and in general are the primary voters of the Democratic Party which has a "large tent" policy, combining similar if not congruent ideologies into large voting blocs. Many progressives also support the Green Party or local parties such as the Vermont Progressive Party. In Canada, liberals usually support the national Liberal Party while progressives usually support the New Democratic Party, which traditionally has had provincial electorial success in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and British Columbia.

Have a nice day. Don't forget to wash your hands before lunch and have a good recess. Back to the playground for you.
post #74 of 227
Quote:

Yeah, well "liberal" has to do with liberty too but it has been quite a while since many self-proclaimed modern day liberals really care much about liberty. So...

MJ's version of reality so you all should take this as gospel.
post #75 of 227
Quote:

No, jimmac. That is not what progressive means in the political sense. Does Republican mean "one who favors the Republic?" Does Democrat mean "one who believes in Democracy?" Of course not. Words have different meanings in different contexts. Welcome to the English language.

Progressivism is favors redistribution, greater government control. It tends to be pro-labor, anti-wealth, etc. It now includes concepts such as "social justice" and "economic justice." It's essentially communism-light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressivism

Have a nice day. Don't forget to wash your hands before lunch and have a good recess. Back to the playground for you.

SDW's definitions better than those you can get from a dictionary. You should take them as gospel.
post #76 of 227
Quote:

MJ's version of reality so you all should take this as gospel.

Relax sparky.

post #77 of 227
Quote:

Relax sparky.

I am relaxed. I'm on vacation.

Cheers!
post #78 of 227
Quote:

SDW's definitions better than those you can get from a dictionary. You should take them as gospel.

Are you saying that Political parties names exactly match their dictionary definitions for what their party represents?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #79 of 227
Quote:

They're not my definitions. They are definitions according to wikipedia. Would you like some other sources?
post #80 of 227
Quote:

They're not my definitions. They are definitions according to wikipedia. Would you like some other sources?

So the dictionary I quoted was wrong. I see..........
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Why is AppleInsider overrun with right-wing extremists?