or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Why is AppleInsider overrun with right-wing extremists?

Why is AppleInsider overrun with right-wing extremists? - Page 3

post #81 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Are you saying that Political parties names exactly match their dictionary definitions for what their party represents?

Words have meaning and if you are a master of them at all you realize that the meanings don't change because of political parties. Read the Definition I quoted from a dictionary.

Jesus what subterfuge!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #82 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Yeah, well "liberal" has to do with liberty too but it has been quite a while since many self-proclaimed modern day liberals really care much about liberty. So...

From MJ's collegiate first addition I assume?
post #83 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

So the dictionary I quoted was wrong. I see..........

Context...
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #84 of 227
Quote:

Words have meaning and if you are a master of them at all you realize that the meanings don't change because of political parties. Read the Definition I quoted from a dictionary.

Jesus what subterfuge!

Context... Language has meaning in the context of the discussion. Evasion notwithstanding....
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #85 of 227
Quote:

Context... Language has meaning in the context of the discussion. Evasion notwithstanding....

Hey SDW made the original questioning comment. Progressive is often associated with Democrats or liberals. Forward thinking, forward motion, Progression.

Sorry if you don't like that. In this case the context changes nothing.
post #86 of 227
Quote:

Hey SDW made the original questioning comment. Progressive is often associated with Democrats or liberals. Forward thinking, forward motion, Progression.

Even still, in the context of the discussion the definition you should have stood on was the first one:

1. favoring or advocating progress, change, improvement, or reform, as opposed to wishing to maintain things as they are, esp. in political matters: a progressive mayor.

Clearly the discussion was around politics. Then the question becomes, what is deemed progress, change or improvement, which is where SDW was taking issue.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #87 of 227
Quote:

From MJ's collegiate first addition I assume?

No. I learned addition before college.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #88 of 227
Quote:

Oh...I thought number 8, the idea of a progressive disease was a more apt decription of "progressives" Huh...

Actually "Progressive" has had more than one meaning. During the late 1800's progressives were WASP middle class types who were tired of big city corruption and political machines...the same fellows that used and represented urban ethnics. Under their banner they often eliminated ward systems and created City Manager run governments and merit based hiring (civil servants).

Of course today big City machines are usually Democratic and certainly anti-progressive. So a good progressive should be appalled at Chicago's corruption. Correct?
post #89 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Yeah, well "liberal" has to do with liberty too but it has been quite a while since many self-proclaimed modern day liberals really care much about liberty. So...

Yeah. It's the Liberals who want to pass laws banning same sex union. It's the Liberals who want to take away a woman's right to choose. It's the Liberals who enacted the PATRIOT Act. It's the Liberals who push for warrantless wire tapping, and sneak restrictions on internet freedom into copyright tightening laws. It's the Liberals who pass laws that preclude probable cause like the Arizona immigration control law. Yeah. It's the Liberals who hate freedom.
post #90 of 227
Quote:

So the dictionary I quoted was wrong. I see..........

Quote:

Jesus what subterfuge!

Quote:

The term progressive, in a political context, does not only mean what you quoted from the dictionary. There is literally no one that disagrees with this, other than you.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #91 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Yeah. It's the Liberals who want to pass laws banning same sex union. It's the Liberals who want to take away a woman's right to choose. It's the Liberals who enacted the PATRIOT Act*. It's the Liberals who push for warrantless wire tapping, and sneak restrictions on internet freedom into copyright tightening laws. It's the Liberals who pass laws that preclude probable cause like the Arizona immigration control law. Yeah. It's the Liberals who hate freedom.

It is interesting to cherry pick examples to fit your argument.

The PATRIOT ACT is still in existence and, in fact, has been renewed with support from so-called Washington liberals.

post #92 of 227
Oh look! Three more pages sprinkled with Republican bullshit and lies. What a surprise.

There is a distinct whiff of Fox Hole News stinking up this forum.
post #93 of 227
Quote:

Even still, in the context of the discussion the definition you should have stood on was the first one:

1. favoring or advocating progress, change, improvement, or reform, as opposed to wishing to maintain things as they are, esp. in political matters: a progressive mayor.

Clearly the discussion was around politics. Then the question becomes, what is deemed progress, change or improvement, which is where SDW was taking issue.

You really mean he's a Republican and doesn't like the association. Too bad.

So we should ignore the other definitions. They shouldn't even be there. What a crock!
post #94 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

The term progressive, in a political context, does not only mean what you quoted from the dictionary. There is literally no one that disagrees with this, other than you.

Quote:
There is literally no one that disagrees with this, other than you

So you say. Prove that because that's not what I''m seeing. The one's that disagree are Republicans or their conservative counterparts.
post #95 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Oh look! Three more pages sprinkled with Republican bullshit and lies. What a surprise.

Anyone you disagree with must surely be a Republican, eh?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #96 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

No there are thiose who claim not to be but have the same values or worse.
post #97 of 227
Quote:

You really mean he's a Republican and doesn't like the association. Too bad.

So we should ignore the other definitions. They shouldn't even be there. What a crock!

Is the word ignore anywhere in my post? You don't even try to understand what people are writing.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #98 of 227
Quote:

Is the word ignore anywhere in my post? You don't even try to understand what people are writing.

Quote:
Even still, in the context of the discussion the definition you should have stood on was the first one

I think I understood quite well.
post #99 of 227
Quote:

I think I understood quite well.

Yeah, where is the context? When the person you are talking to lets you know that you did not understand what they were saying calling them a liar is not trying to understand their position, is it?

In case you forgot already what I wrote:

Quote:

Obvious emphasis was put on the definition that matches the context of a political discussion. And the question from there remains.

Then the question becomes, what is deemed progress, change or improvement, which is where SDW was taking issue.

Can you answer without obfuscating?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #100 of 227
Quote:

No there are thiose who claim not to be but have the same values or worse.

So if someone is not a registered Republican and openly denounces both major parties as corrupt to the core, you still consider them a Republican if they "have the same values"?

post #101 of 227
Quote:

In this forum, Yes. Repubican/Conservative/NeoCon/TeaBagger.
post #102 of 227
Quote:

So if someone is not a registered Republican and openly denounces both major parties as corrupt to the core, you still consider them a Republican if they "have the same values"?

Well if you share the same values as a Republican/Conservative/NeoCon/TeaBagger, why do you care about being labeled one? If it looks like a duck and ducks like a quack...
post #103 of 227
Quote:

Well if you share the same values as a Republican/Conservative/NeoCon/TeaBagger, why do you care about being labeled one? If it looks like a duck and ducks like a quack...

It is possible to share some of the same values with someone you disagree with on other issues. Surely you can see this? But I am sure the labels comfort you...
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #104 of 227
Quote:

You misunderstand. I don't care. You can label and categorize me and those you disagree with to your heart's content.

I'm merely pointing out that it is wrong to do so. But if it makes things easier for you, go right ahead.

post #105 of 227
Quote:

It is possible to share some of the same values with someone you disagree with on other issues. Surely you can see this? But I am sure the labels comfort you...

Not in this forum.

Yes, I find labels very comforting. Like a Snuggie.
post #106 of 227
Quote:

You misunderstand. I don't care. You can label and categorize me and those you disagree with to your heart's content.

I'm merely pointing out that it is wrong to do so. But if it makes things easier for you, go right ahead.

No, it is not wrong to do so. But you just did it yourself. Was that wrong or are you just always right?
post #107 of 227
Quote:

No, it is not wrong to do so. But you just did it yourself. Was that wrong or are you just always right?

I labeled you? How?

post #108 of 227
Quote:

Yeah, where is the context? When the person you are talking to lets you know that you did not understand what they were saying calling them a liar is not trying to understand their position, is it?

In case you forgot already what I wrote:

Obvious emphasis was put on the definition that matches the context of a political discussion. And the question from there remains.

Then the question becomes, what is deemed progress, change or improvement, which is where SDW was taking issue.

Can you answer without obfuscating?

Ok. I'll use one of SDWs tricks. Prove to me that the context is wrong in modern reference.

Meanwhile here's a little something for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Party_(US)

Quote:
Ideology
Further information: Political ideologies in the United States and Factions in the Democratic Party (United States)
Since the 1890s, the Democratic Party has favored "liberal" positions (the term "liberal" in this sense describes social liberalism, not classical liberalism). In recent exit polls, the Democratic Party has had broad appeal across all socio-ethno-economic demographics.[9][10][11] The Democratic Party is currently the nation's largest party. In 2004, roughly 72 million (42.6%) Americans were registered Democrats, compared to 55 million (32.5%) Republicans and 42 million (24.8%) independents.[5]

Historically, the party has favored farmers, laborers, labor unions, and religious and ethnic minorities; it has opposed unregulated business and finance, and favored progressive income taxes. In foreign policy, internationalism (including interventionism) was a dominant theme from 1913 to the mid-1960s. In the 1930s, the party began advocating welfare spending programs targeted at the poor. The party had a pro-business wing, typified by Al Smith, and a Southern conservative wing that shrank after President Lyndon B. Johnson supported the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The major influences for liberalism were labor unions (which peaked in the 19361952 era), and the African American wing, which has steadily grown since the 1960s. Since the 1970s, environmentalism has been a major new component.

In recent decades, the party has adopted a centrist economic and socially progressive agenda, with the voter base having shifted considerably. Today, Democrats advocate more social freedoms, affirmative action, balanced budget, and a free enterprise system tempered by government intervention (mixed economy). The economic policy adopted by the modern Democratic Party, including the former Clinton administration, has been referred to as the "Third Way".[12] The party believes that government should play a role in alleviating poverty and social injustice and use a system of progressive taxation.

The Democratic Party, once dominant in the Southeastern United States, is now strongest in the Northeast (Mid-Atlantic and New England), Great Lakes region, and the Pacific Coast (including Hawaii). The Democrats are also very strong in major cities.

Liberals
Main articles: Modern liberalism in the United States and Liberalism in the United States

Opinions of liberals in a 2005 Pew Research Center study.Social liberals (modern liberals) and progressives constitute roughly half of the Democratic voter base. Liberals thereby form the largest united typological demographic within the Democratic base. According to the 2008 exit poll results, liberals constituted 22% of the electorate, and 89% of American liberals favored the candidate of the Democratic Party.[13] White-collar college-educated professionals were mostly Republican until the 1950s; they now compose perhaps the most vital component of the Democratic Party.[14] A large majority of liberals favor universal health care, with many supporting a single-payer system. A majority also favor diplomacy over military action, stem cell research, the legalization of same-sex marriage, secular government, stricter gun control, and environmental protection laws as well as the preservation of abortion rights. Immigration and cultural diversity is deemed positive; liberals favor cultural pluralism, a system in which immigrants retain their native culture in addition to adopting their new culture. They tend to be divided on free trade agreements and organizations such as the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). Most liberals oppose increased military spending and the display of the Ten Commandments in public buildings.[15]

This ideological group differs from the traditional organized labor base. According to the Pew Research Center, a plurality of 41% resided in mass affluent households and 49% were college graduates, the highest figure of any typographical group. It was also the fastest growing typological group between the late 1990s and early 2000s.[15] Liberals include most of academia[16] and large portions of the professional class.[9][10][11]

Progressives
Main articles: Progressivism in the United States and Progressive Democrats of America
Many progressive Democrats are descendants of the New Left of Democratic presidential candidate Senator George McGovern of South Dakota; others were involved in the presidential candidacies of Vermont Governor Howard Dean and U.S. Representative Dennis Kucinich of Ohio. The Congressional Progressive Caucus (CPC) is a caucus of progressive Democrats, and is the single largest Democratic caucus in the House of Representatives. Its members have included Dennis Kucinich of Ohio, John Conyers of Michigan, Jim McDermott of Washington, John Lewis of Georgia, Barbara Lee of California, the late Senator Paul Wellstone of Minnesota, and Sherrod Brown of Ohio, now a Senator. America Votes and the Leadership Conference on Civil Rights are liberal umbrella organizations that push for progressive causes.

Oh my! Just look at how many times they use the word " Progressive ".

Sorry but you and SDW are just out in left field on this.
post #109 of 227
Quote:

Apple is a liberal and progressive company, partly because they cater to creative industries and the location of its headquarters.

So, I wonder why this forum has such a large number of seemingly right-wing political extremists who come here regularly? Why do they come here and post mostly in the PoliticalOutsider forum? You rarely see these same people participating in any other threads here. Why don't they go to a right-wing political site instead? Do they like the abuse? Do they like the depressing blue/gray color scheme here? Are they hoping to convince people that their failed ideas are still valid?

Help me unlock this AI PO enigma.

it's not - if it appears that way to you, I'm guessing you're so far left that the center look right. Seriously, if half the people you know aren't more left than you are... then you're looking at the world through liberal colored glasses.

Same goes for the conservatives.
post #110 of 227
Quote:

We have our fair share of liberal Obama fellatio from the Huffingtonpost kids too...
post #111 of 227
Doesn't this line of discussion sound a bit juvenile to some? People used self-described labels all the time, it hardly means that the labels are accurate or meaningful.

Does anyone really think that the GDR (the German Democratic Republic) was democratic or a republic? Or that the United Soviet Socialist Republics were, in fact, republics? (And some would dispute that it was even truly socialist.)

Or that the Church of the Latter Day Saints are really derived from, or represent, saints?

Or that Christian Scientists are really scientists?

Or that Christian Democrats have much to do with Christianity?

Or that the Tea Party is mainly a group of folks who party and drink tea?

Isnt everyone aware that the word "progressive" has meant different things in different era's?

So when someone calls themselves "Progressive" it is likely that they like think of themselves as representing progress, even if they actually represent something far different and regressive.

Man, I know the word liberal remains a dirty word to the majority of Americans, but thre is no point in trying to claim a jackass is really a derby horse, most of us are not fooled.
post #112 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxParrish View Post

Doesn't this line of discussion sound a bit juvenile to some? People used self-described labels all the time, it hardly means that the labels are accurate or meaningful.

Does anyone really think that the GDR (the German Democratic Republic) was democratic or a republic? Or that the United Soviet Socialist Republics were, in fact, republics? (And some would dispute that it was even truly socialist.)

Or that the Church of the Latter Day Saints are really derived from, or represent, saints?

Or that Christian Scientists are really scientists?

Or that Christian Democrats have much to do with Christianity?

Or that the Tea Party is mainly a group of folks who party and drink tea?

Isnt everyone aware that the word "progressive" has meant different things in different era's?

So when someone calls themselves "Progressive" it is likely that they like think of themselves as representing progress, even if they actually represent something far different and regressive.

Man, I know the word liberal remains a dirty word to the majority of Americans, but thre is no point in trying to claim a jackass is really a derby horse, most of us are not fooled.

Max

When you play in the sand box you have to use a toy shovel the same as anyone else.

Quote:
I know the word liberal remains a dirty word to the majority of Americans

Can you prove this statement please?
post #113 of 227
Quote:

Ok. I'll use one of SDWs tricks. Prove to me that the context is wrong in modern reference.

Meanwhile here's a little something for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Party_(US)

Oh my! Just look at how many times they use the word " Progressive ".

Sorry but you and SDW are just out in left field on this.

I did not think you could. But I gave you a chance to show your greater maturity.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #114 of 227
Quote:

I did not think you could. But I gave you a chance to show your greater maturity.

So I'm immature because you disagree with me and you didn't have a better counter argument?

Wow!

Forgive me but that seems kind of immature to me.
post #115 of 227
Quote:

So I'm immature because you disagree with me and you didn't have a better counter argument?

Wow!

Forgive me but that seems kind of immature to me.

Not what I said. You still have not answered the question, you have continued to obfuscate.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #116 of 227
Quote:

Not what I said. You still have not answered the question, you have continued to obfuscate.

Which question was that? And who's since all of the rightwingers seem to answer for each other now days?

And just because it's your opinion that Obama isn't progressive or that the Democrats aren't is still your opinion. That doesn't change the context or the fact that they are generally refered to as progressive in common reference.
post #117 of 227
Quote:

Which question was that? And who's since all of the rightwingers seem to answer for each other now days?

And just because it's your opinion that Obama isn't progressive or that the Democrats aren't is still your opinion. That doesn't change the context or the fact that they are generally refered to as progressive in common reference.

Wow, you really did not read nor understand what I wrote. At all...
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #118 of 227
Quote:

This happens about 90% of the time, in my observation.

post #119 of 227
Quote:

Quote:
You still have not answered the question, you have continued to obfuscate

What are you refering to? If it was the context question I've already answered that. It's ok to refer to the Democrats as progressive because of common reference ( I've shown that ). It doesn't matter if you don't agree with the assesment. Many people still do. Hence the context is ok.
post #120 of 227
Quote:

What are you refering to? If it was the context question I've already answered that. It's ok to refer to the Democrats as progressive because of common reference ( I've shown that ). It doesn't matter if you don't agree with the assesment. Many people still do. Hence the context is ok.

With the argument you just made there, any position, no matter how odd or wrong, is fully defensible so long as you can find many people who agree. I understand your position and in the context you are trying to frame it in, it is fine. But. It is not the same context you are claiming SDW is arguing from. Can you not see that?
NoahJ
NoahJ
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Why is AppleInsider overrun with right-wing extremists?