or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sued over iPhone 4 reception issues
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple sued over iPhone 4 reception issues - Page 11

post #401 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

The fact that Apples only case ever for an iPhone covers only the part that causes the issue, is the most telling that they knew about the issue.

1) And just look at how much the iPad case covers, that thing must be really poorly made.

2) You say that as if Apple is never scrutinized, that they could pull a fast on on all their users and scam an extra charge from them. They are evil, after all¡ What CE company is put more under a microscope or sued over as many silly things as Apple.

3) Or, you are saying Apple doesnt realize they are scrutinized, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Could they really be that stupid?

4) The next step is saying they designed it that way to require Bumpers. But I guess they only designed some units that way, because not all are experiencing it. Today I was I had the worse 3G Ive ever had, had to turn 3G off to get EDGE and GPRS just to get any data. Even with less than 5 bars I still couldnt get it to freak out and go to No Service.

5) General rule of thumb: If you have a theory that screams conspiracy, its best to never speak aloud.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #402 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious View Post

TWELVE plaintiffs??? That's all they've got? Ambulance-chasers, indeed!

I'd say, for that class-action status to be granted, they'd need (for example) 1% of purchasors (speculating: not really 'my' point of law) to join the action...which means they need to recruit at least another 14,988 of Mama's precious darlings before this gets to be more than a very public hissy-fit.

and those 12 plaintiffs better think of a good reason why they did not just return the phone.
post #403 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) And just look at how much the iPad case covers, that thing must be really poorly made.

2) You say that as if Apple is never scrutinized, that they could pull a fast on on all their users and scam an extra charge from them. They are evil, after all¡ What CE company is put more under a microscope or sued over as many silly things as Apple.

3) Or, you are saying Apple doesnt realize they are scrutinized, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Could they really be that stupid?

4) The next step is saying they designed it that way to require Bumpers. But I guess they only designed some units that way, because not all are experiencing it. Today I was I had the worse 3G Ive ever had, had to turn 3G off to get EDGE and GPRS just to get any data. Even with less than 5 bars I still couldnt get it to freak out and go to No Service.

5) General rule of thumb: If you have a theory that screams conspiracy, its best to never speak aloud.

ZDNet are reporting that as impact protection, the bumper is a fail. They're including a video from iFixYouri showing 3 consecutive drops, the third resulting in a broken screen.

Looks like the media are not going to let up on the iP4 anytime soon.
post #404 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) And just look at how much the iPad case covers, that thing must be really poorly made.

2) You say that as if Apple is never scrutinized, that they could pull a fast on on all their users and scam an extra charge from them. They are evil, after all¡ What CE company is put more under a microscope or sued over as many silly things as Apple.

3) Or, you are saying Apple doesnt realize they are scrutinized, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Could they really be that stupid?

4) The next step is saying they designed it that way to require Bumpers. But I guess they only designed some units that way, because not all are experiencing it. Today I was I had the worse 3G Ive ever had, had to turn 3G off to get EDGE and GPRS just to get any data. Even with less than 5 bars I still couldnt get it to freak out and go to No Service.

5) General rule of thumb: If you have a theory that screams conspiracy, its best to never speak aloud.

1) The iPad cover covers the full unit and is in fact protection. It does NOT just cover the edge. It also acts as a stand to prop up the iPad for viewing and use. The iPhone bumper does NONE of these.

2, 3) Apple may be scrutinized, but they are not infallible. IMO they did not find out about the problem in time as they always had it in a case during field testing. At that point when they finally found out, they could delay the release by months and redesign the phone, or they could make their first ever iPhone "case" and cover just the part that is the problem. What do you think would have happened to their stock if they had delayed the iPhone for months? NO way they'd go that route.

4) I know of no iPhone 4 that you can bridge the two antenna's and get no attenuation problem. The exception might be in very close proximity to a tower.

5) General rule of thumb: Juts because there's a conspiracy theory, does not mean there is not an issue in truth.
post #405 of 413
It's worth listening carefully to what AnandTech say in this podcast

Reporters' Roundtable: What's the iPhone 4's problem?


http://www.cnet.com/8301-30976_1-200...eadlinesArea.0
post #406 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic8Ball View Post

It's worth listening carefully to what AnandTech say in this podcast

Reporters' Roundtable: What's the iPhone 4's problem?

http://www.cnet.com/8301-30976_1-200...eadlinesArea.0

Finally some informed, intelligent discussion on this matter. Quite interesting.

So the antenna on the outside seems to give better reception, except touching it causes poorer reception. This combined with the vagaries of cellular network conditions, means... Well, for me anyway it means I don't need to upgrade yet, it's not available in my country anyways.

Back to my iPad
post #407 of 413
Guys at AnandTech worked from wrong data.

Apple's acknowledgement of their signal strength display algorithm stunningness stands to reason like nothing else on the earth (for those who can see what all that is about).

Still the conclusions of AnandTech are somewhat valid.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #408 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Guys at AnandTech worked from wrong data...

Not sure if you're making a joke here, in reference to Steve's email about "you're working from the wrong data"...

But the guys at AnandTech used an actual dB readout.
post #409 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Not sure if you're making a joke here, in reference to Steve's email about "you're working from the wrong data"...

But the guys at AnandTech used an actual dB readout.

Actual dBm readout by iPhone.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #410 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Actual dBm readout by iPhone.

OK, I see what you're saying...
post #411 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

OK, I see what you're saying...

Glad to know. The display algorithm is indeed breathtaking. So is data download standstill.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #412 of 413
Hi

we live in Switzerland, altough the iPhone 4 is not officially available here, we drove quickly over to France and bought a couple of iPhone 4. We came back and tested them really hard... espescially we tested this reception issue and we have no issues here.

We use Swisscom in Switzerland, that's the largest Operator and there are no dropped calls, no signal loss, nothing ! We use to touch it around the antenna, we even touched it with our tongue ! nothing... it works, no issues here...

We think you have a problem with the operator, in Switzerland there is absolutely no signal issues and dropped calls, nothing! Think a bit out of the box and try it outside the US and you'll see it works absolutely perfect! So the device can't be the problem...

Greeting

G
post #413 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapguru View Post

Hi

we live in Switzerland, altough the iPhone 4 is not officially available here, we drove quickly over to France and bought a couple of iPhone 4. We came back and tested them really hard... espescially we tested this reception issue and we have no issues here.

We use Swisscom in Switzerland, that's the largest Operator and there are no dropped calls, no signal loss, nothing ! We use to touch it around the antenna, we even touched it with our tongue ! nothing... it works, no issues here...

We think you have a problem with the operator, in Switzerland there is absolutely no signal issues and dropped calls, nothing! Think a bit out of the box and try it outside the US and you'll see it works absolutely perfect! So the device can't be the problem...

Greeting

G

Can you post any European/UK tech blog/ newspaper articles that review the phone's reception issues? Thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sued over iPhone 4 reception issues