or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple says Steve Jobs' email replies on iPhone 4 reception were faked

Apple says Steve Jobs' email replies on iPhone 4 reception were faked

post #1 of 146
A top Apple spokesperson has emphatically denied that Steve Jobs was the author of a series of comments in an email exchange regarding iPhone 4 reception.

The comments, published earlier today by Boy Genius Report, attributed a series of email-based replies to Jobs, including the responses:

"No, you are getting all worked up over a few days of rumors. Calm down."
"You are most likely in an area with very low signal strength."
"You may be working from bad data. Not your fault. Stay tuned. We are working on it."
"Retire, relax, enjoy your family. It is just a phone. Not worth it."

After the report was picked up and spread by various blogs, BGR corrected it, saying the last line was actually written by the customer, and not Jobs.

Shortly after the edit was made, Philip Elmer-DeWitt of the Fortune Apple 2.0 blog reported that a top Apple public relations spokesperson, speaking on the record, "emphatically denied" that Steve Jobs "was the author of any of these statements."

AppleInsider had previously reported that the source of the email exchange had originally offered the emails as a story, "for sale," without asking for a specific price.

The incident highlights an emerging trend where blog sites quickly publish alleged email conversations with Apple's chief executive under "exclusive" headlines designed to attract attention, with little or no effort made to either verify or or qualify the emails as potentially fake.

Many reports of email-based exchanges describe "verifying email headers," which is a completely unreliable method of determining the legitimacy of a purported exchange. Email headers are trivial to fake, and even a real email exchange could be edited afterward without any indication in the email headers or elsewhere.
post #2 of 146
So the dork who sold the fake e-mails to BGR is now guilty of fraud. Nice. And now everyone knows what a tool he is... and that everyone who violently reacts to fake Internetz stories with no proof is also guilty of toolish behavior.

I think we've all learned a very valuable lesson today...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #3 of 146
Oh boy... I'm sure tomorrow the headlines will be "Authorities seize computers and servers at Gizm... I mean... BGR HQ."
post #4 of 146
Well well well, whaddya know? Hands up if you're surprised. Nobody? Really?

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.8
White iPad (3G) with Wi-Fi | 16GB | Engraved | Blue Polyurethane Smart Cover
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.8
White iPad (3G) with Wi-Fi | 16GB | Engraved | Blue Polyurethane Smart Cover
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

post #5 of 146
What a pathetic display of collective bullshit by the tech media. (At least, AI was a bit cautious and tentative).

Not surprising, though.
post #6 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

Oh boy... I'm sure tomorrow the headlines will be "Authorities seize computers and servers at Gizm... I mean... BGR HQ."

Big difference: BGR didn't buy equipment stolen from Apple and then attempt to extort further documents from Apple before agreeing to return the property.

BGR has the right to print bullshit. Fox News has set legal precedent for that in US court (!): you can't sue the media for printing things that are inaccurate, even if they are purposely, known lies.
post #7 of 146
I wish the spokesperson had said whether or not the "you are holding it wrong" email
was legitimate.

Also, one of the bogus Jobs quotes was something to the effect that "we are working on it".
That is now out the window.
post #8 of 146
Makes sense. What would make even more sense would be for the Apple people to say something so crap like this isn't all over the net.
post #9 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Also, one of the bogus Jobs quotes was something to the effect that "we are working on it".
That is now out the window.

I thought the exact same thing. However, with all the bad PR and lawsuits arising because of this, I have to believe that they are, in fact, working on it.

At least, as an owner of an iPhone 4 that can't be held but one way, I truly hope they are...
post #10 of 146
Also throws a vat of boiling hot oil on BGR's cred, doesn't it?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #11 of 146
Big surprise. I wouldn't be surprised if Jizzmodo had their grubby little paws in this. They've been on an anti- Apple crusade ever since...

Wow! Notice the "Stay Tuned" comment at the end of Burford's bio in AI's original story in the pic. Coincidence??
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
post #12 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This episode could also have an effect on BGR's future access to Apple events. I hope the
clicks they got today were worth it.
post #13 of 146
Amazing how few haters are posting to this thread, and the iPhone 4 screen wins thread. Nothing to see here, Trolls. Move along.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #14 of 146
Apple 1, Haters 0.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #15 of 146
Quote:

So the dork who sold the fake e-mails to BGR is now guilty of fraud. Nice. And now everyone knows what a tool he is... and that everyone who violently reacts to fake Internetz stories with no proof is also guilty of toolish behavior.

Nope!
post #16 of 146
Quote:

I'll never trust them again. Seriously.
post #17 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockpop View Post

BGR has the right to print bullshit. Fox News has set legal precedent for that in US court (!): you can't sue the media for printing things that are inaccurate, even if they are purposely, known lies.

I'm sorry. You seem to have misspelled "CBS".
post #18 of 146
Quote:
A top Apple spokesperson has emphatically denied that Steve Jobs was the author of a series of comments in an email exchange regarding iPhone 4 reception.

Was this so called apple spokesperson with jobs when this was supposed to have happened.

Every comment is something jobs would say, and of course the apple spin machine is going to once again make this the publics fault.

I repeat, it is time for jobs to go, he is hurting apple in the worst way.
post #19 of 146
Now Steve should start sending ACTUAL emails that are totally off-the-wall scary nuts, just for fun because nobody will believe it

These fake ones were a smart fraud: they werent anything too interesting, making them plausible enough to find a buyer more easily.
post #20 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stkorean View Post

Words fail to describe your idiocy.
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
post #21 of 146
Quote:

Was this so called apple spokesperson with jobs when this was supposed to have happened.

Every comment is something jobs would say, and of course the apple spin machine is going to once again make this the publics fault.

So you think the Apple spokesperson didn't check with Jobs? Or that Jobs is lying publicly? That's truly delusional.

No spin is needed. Some greedy person thought he could make some money by fabricating pretend emails from Jobs and he got caught at it. End of discussion.

I wouldn't say that it's the public's fault, but it's clearly the fault of the lying scumbag who came up with this idea. The public, in general, doesn't give a hoot one way or the other. There is a significant subset of people who jump in on every rumor and seem to live for the latest gossip about Apple - and this encourages this type of crap, though.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #22 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by vercordio View Post

I thought the exact same thing. However, with all the bad PR and lawsuits arising because of this, I have to believe that they are, in fact, working on it.

At least, as an owner of an iPhone 4 that can't be held but one way, I truly hope they are...

the bumpers completely solve the problem, help protect the screen and make the phone less likely to slip out of your hand.
post #23 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by vercordio View Post

I heard they have the manufacturers using a cad-cam system to mirror image the entire production so they have an iPhone 4 for both types, lefties and righties.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #24 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Big surprise. I wouldn't be surprised if Jizzmodo had their grubby little paws in this. They've been on an anti- Apple crusade ever since...

Wow. Notice the "Stay Tuned" at the end og Burford's bio in the pic - in AI's original story! Coincidence??

EDIT: Darn .... I meant to edit my post in #11 but hit the "reply" button instead.
post #25 of 146
Quote:

Did you wake up this morning planning to be the stupidest guy on the Internet, or did you just luck out?

post #26 of 146
Quote:

Best joke all day. Best CEO of the decade, top in several industries, unprecedented company valuation increase, second most, soon to be most valuable company in the US ... of yes really hurting Apple. ROFL ...
post #27 of 146
Mister Snitch, you need to learn to spit, and stop swallowing all the stuff jobs and apple is feeding you, swallowing is dangerous you know!.
post #28 of 146
Check 1stkorean's other posts. His Troll credentials are quite in order. The only good thing is that there have been relatively few of them . . . so far. Can we just build a virtual fence around him?
post #29 of 146
No one at BoyGReport knows much about email. And that *ANY* email can be faked to look like it was sent/received by ANYONE.
post #30 of 146
Quote:

That you think you know what Jobs would say is similar to fraudster thinking he knows what Jobs would say.
post #31 of 146
Quote:

LOL this must be sarcasm or something.
post #32 of 146
Quote:

Mister Snitch, you need to learn to spit, and stop swallowing all the stuff jobs and apple is feeding you, swallowing is dangerous you know!.

Lewinsky, is that you?
post #33 of 146
Quote:

Surely you jest. You can't be that out of touch.
post #34 of 146
Quote:

Hey now! No need to bring in the Brady Family. We all questioned Pork Chops and Apple Sauce as kids.
post #35 of 146
Quote:

Oh goodness. This is what happens when 13-year-olds try to take over a blog.
post #36 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockpop View Post

Big difference: BGR didn't buy equipment stolen from Apple and then attempt to extort further documents from Apple before agreeing to return the property.

Except the Libel laws might come into play here.
post #37 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow415 View Post

I'm sorry. You seem to have misspelled "CBS".

No,he's perfectly correct. FOX won the right to lie, in court. Actual case in Florida
post #38 of 146
I can bet that Steve Jobs isn't waiting for any apologies. The past few days of ranting prove why it's a waste of time reading most of these stories. This my last post on any of these Apple-related blogs until I read something that is based on reality. I always thought the odds were high that those so-called Steve Jobs emails were forged.

I'll be watching for Apple stories on what the company is doing to address valid iPhone issues. Fake emails and speculation about iPhone design flaws can take a hike. I know the bottom-feeding lawyers are disappointed.
post #39 of 146
I swear on a stack of Bibles, cross my heart hope to die, and I have the email headers to prove it. He said:

"Gooch, my good friend, don't worry. Hold your iPhone 4, which comes with iOS 4, the proper way, dude. It's the best phone we've ever made. I'll send you a couple more free of charge."
post #40 of 146
So the owner of the advertising agency can't spell AND he's stupid. I feel sorry for his employees.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple says Steve Jobs' email replies on iPhone 4 reception were faked