or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple says iPhone 4 calculates bars wrong, software fix forthcoming
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple says iPhone 4 calculates bars wrong, software fix forthcoming - Page 5

post #161 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

but part of the reason why it is worse to John Q public is because the iPhone 4 is the only one with a totally exposed external antenna.

Fixed that for ya. This is basic engineering.

No, reception is better because of the exposed antenna.
The perception by John Q is completely due to the hysterical parroting of nonsense by ignorant bloggers and media.
post #162 of 434
Glad i sold my AAPL on Monday.
Not buying this as a software issue only.

Still believe in Apple as the best innovators we've seen in a long while but this is a mistake in an otherwise great run of products - admit it and fix it.

I'll be buying back in when the stock market crashes later in the year - which is bound to happen and like last time, Apple won't be immune.

If you hold AAPL, get out now, take your profits and buy back in in a few months time.
post #163 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

This is a sad day for Apple.

26 years ago, Apple threw the hammer at Big Brother.

Now, Apple is Big Brother.

2 + 2 = 5


That's the thing about revolutionaries, they usually become a lot like what they replace.
post #164 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So basically they are saying that they're going to update your phone to tell you that your reception is worse than it really is, bar wise. This doesn't fix anything. This isn't going to fix the people who live in lower reception areas from losing service completely or drop low enough to drop calls, where their previous iPhones or whatever they used works fine.

This is just smoke and mirrors. They also need to address the proximity sensor, although I think they are going to sneak it in. It's a real simple fix, just give it more tolerance.

Wow... the American school system really does produce illiterates, doesn't it?
What they're saying (and as those of us who actually have one in marginal reception areas have been saying) is that the display has been over-reporting strength in weak areas, making normal drops in the display look more dramatic.
Actual reception has been improved greatly.

I'm curious.. when you go to a restaurant, do you eat the menu instead of the actual food? Just wondering.
post #165 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by amature geek View Post

That doesn't explain this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq4dfeSiOWw

If I grip my original iPhone around the bottom (where the black plastic covers the antennas) I can make my reception go from 3 bars with Edge to NO SERVICE - takes about fives seconds. I have learned not to hold my phone that way in areas where signal strength is poor. I don't really consider this to be a defect in the original iPhone.
post #166 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

So basically, Apple is saying there is no problem with the antena, the only issue is you thought you were getting better reception thatn you were?

Even more BS that they say they've always calculated things this way. This means people should not be seeing any worse problems with the 4 than the earlier 3. Evidence does not bear this out.

This makes no sense. People's calls are dropping and data speed is much slower when portions of the antenna and touched and/or bridged. Apple's solution is to show you that you have less signal all the time?

I know all phones lose some signal when the antenna is covered, but APPLE'S IS THE ONLY EXTERNAL ANTENNA TOTALLY EXPOSED TO SKIN ETC.

If this indeed Apple's solution, ie. screw you, then I suspect they'll get a lot of phones back. When mine comes, if I have this issue I will take the opportunity to return it and go Android (not what I want to do). Apple is still in denial there there is a problem.

Whoa their pardner.
If you've been spouting off all this time WITHOUT EVEN HAVING ONE, you really need to show some intellectual honesty be returning it before you even open it.
You have NO grounds for griping.
Return it now so someone who deserves it can get their hands on it.
post #167 of 434
... nvm its not even worth my time lol
post #168 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockman View Post

A software fix to only change the display behavior is a fail.

It does not fix the REAL PROBLEM of DROPPED SIGNAL!

I can reproduce the issue 100% of the time with my phone and it is truly insulting for Apple to refuse to accept this fact even after multiple independent studies.

Using the 3rd grade term 'fail' is a fail.
Return to beneath your bridge.
post #169 of 434
How does is this a "solution" in any sense? It just makes it look like it has more bars but the problem is still there. This isn't a surprise to apple, they meant from the start to inflate that bars.

I'm extremely disappointed in apple, they're still denying the problem rather that doing what's best for the customers and fixing it.
post #170 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

That's fine, but it doesn't solve this issue at all.

Simply because there IS no issue.
post #171 of 434
Oh brother. Looking like round two.

Keep it up. Only another 230 something posts to go and you'll beat yesterday's total.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
post #172 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Apple/Steve Jobs: 2 + 2 = 5, 5 bars means 0 bars, 1 bar means 5 bars, antenna in grip of phone where one finger kills all reception = best antenna design ever, iPhone 4's inferior reception compared to iPhone 3gs means iPhone 4 has "best reception ever".

That is unfair. The iPhone 4's antenna has been tested externally and shown to have far superior reception to previous models. It has also been shown to be more susceptible to signal loss.

They could have stuck the antenna back inside and shielded the shit out of it to prevent any loss from physical contact. That would also have resulted in it having shittier reception. Perhaps they missed the mark on balancing sensitivity and protection, but is dishonest to imply they are lying or misleading when they claim it has better reception. It does.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #173 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphtashu Fitz View Post

Yeah, a full refund IF you bought your phone from Apple. Buy it from an AT&T store, Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc. and you're stuck with restocking fees. And unless you return it in 3 days you also get stuck with ETF's from AT&T unless you get a different phone for the 2 year contract you signed with them.

Prove that the non Apple vendors will require enforcing fees when the manufacturer has indicated otherwise.
Prove, not whine.
post #174 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

No, reception is better because of the exposed antenna.
The perception by John Q is completely due to the hysterical parroting of nonsense by ignorant bloggers and media.

It really is all semantics. If you read Anand's article technically the iPhone does get better reception but if you "hold it the wrong way" the reception drop negates the benefits of the antenna and then some.

Even Anand himself said that Apple should be giving away free bumpers with this issue being such a problem.

Everyone might as well get a case anyway since Apple decided to choose form over function and make a glass phone that can shatter from a two foot drop.

Apple's intent concerning bars, from Anand's article, was to clearly make it seem as if the iPhone was getting so much more reception than the previous generation.
post #175 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Using the 3rd grade term 'fail' is a fail.
Return to beneath your bridge.

oh lol because he's being a troll right? By saying the obvious truth?

Do you even know what trolling is? It has nothing to do with trolls that live under bridges. Think of a fisherman trolling for fish.
post #176 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Wow. A software fix for a situation that half the community here said didn't even exist. And I thought you guys knew everything!

I hate to bring you the news, but this wasn't the reported software fix Daniel Eran reported. He was talking about a frequency switch update which didn't exist. Still doesn't, and from what Apple says, won't.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #177 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrkiran View Post

A wonderfully sensible statement!

I wish other people could think beyond the "oh, Apple is so great" and look at each product objectively and say "oh, iPhone 2G is so great", "oh, iPhone 3G is so great", "oh, iPhone 3GS is so great" and "BTW, something is amiss with iPhone 4". Just because the last few products were good, how can people simply ignore the complaints of thousands of other users who have genuine problems?

What do they want us to do? Fucking take a mentos and put a smile back on our faces? It is really fucked up with the AT&T signal arguments all these years and now, oh my bad, its been misleading all this time.

Put *3001#12345#* back on IOS4
post #178 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

And that is exactly what Apple is fixing here; the actual reporting of signal strength. But, in your analogy, if it was not uncommon for some drivers to reproduce a problem where when they pressed the gas not only did the fuel gage show a sudden drop, but the gas tank actually emptied itself. In that case, the fuel gage might be faulty, but there is still no gas in the tank. The iOS might be misreporting the signal strength, but the iPhone 4 design still seems to lead to greater actual signal loss than designs with an internal antenna.

Admitting to the accuracy problem is good. Failing to address or acknowledge the actual physical problems caused by the physical design is not.

Again, we are only 8 days into the issue. And Apple must be careful how it responds.

As you say, addressing the accuracy problem is good!

Because of all the hysteria, I think they focused on that first.

If a large number of devices (above normal manufacturing defects) have additional problems, I am sure that Apple will address these, too.

I suspect they are, as we speak, looking at the hardware, cell radios, software, etc. to see if there are any other potential exposures/defects.

There are certain "fixes" that are preferred over others-- for obvious reasons (cost). Other "fixes" might involve recall, reengineering with re-submission for FCC approval if the changes are significant.

In 32 years of dealing with Apple, I have found them to do the "right thing" by their customers. That's one of the reasons that Apple's customer satisfaction ratings are among the highest.

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
Reply
post #179 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobility View Post

What's your experience been like with your iPhone?

I can't say enough good things about. I won't give a review but the screen, camera and video combined with the simplicity and buttery smoothe and quick OS make this feel like everything that Apple has stuck too and improved has been all for the right reasons. I compared the screens and browsers on a couple of top of the line Androids yesterday and whilst I was impressed by them the clarity and detail of the iPhone is far superior and their jitteryness was extremely noticeable compared to the flawlessness of the ip4.

The reception issues are truly horrendous without a case, it's annoying to always have to hold the phone differently, but it's certainly possible to do so. You win some you lose some, but I'm very disappointed by Apple's stance since up till now I personally have always found them extremely helpfully, often going out of their way to not just fix an issue but to fix it and help me with any smaller issues etc too. I have no doubt that I will love using this phone for the time I own it as, I currently do. The extra effort is well worth it.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #180 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsak View Post

How does is this a "solution" in any sense? It just makes it look like it has more bars but the problem is still there. This isn't a surprise to apple, they meant from the start to inflate that bars.

I'm extremely disappointed in apple, they're still denying the problem rather that doing what's best for the customers and fixing it.

How can there be such a mental disconnect from their PR letter and what they are actually doing? Or perhaps is a lack of critical thinking on many of the posters here. Besides the letter clearing stating the bars fix will show less bars, not more bars, they stated "weeks" to usher in this update, which clearly means thy are altering a lot more than just the way bars are represented.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #181 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

It really is all semantics. If you read Anand's article technically the iPhone does get better reception but if you "hold it the wrong way" the reception drop negates the benefits of the antenna and then some.

Even Anand himself said that Apple should be giving away free bumpers with this issue being such a problem.

Everyone might as well get a case anyway since Apple decided to choose form over function and make a glass phone that can shatter from a two foot drop.

Apple's intent concerning bars, from Anand's article, was to clearly make it seem as if the iPhone was getting so much more reception than the previous generation.

It doesn't 'technically' get better reception... it really does get better reception. I live in AT&T hell... wilderness edge in Marin, and spend time in SF.
Reception in both has greatly improved.
Frankly, if the price for most people getting better reception is that a few folks have to use a bumper (I use one simply because its a great case, btw) or have to skootch their fingers a centimeter one way or the other, then its an overall win, and the disaffected can now take theirs back if they're truly that lazy, and stop whining. (I'm really searching for another term, but its SO appropriate here.)
post #182 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So basically they are saying that they're going to update your phone to tell you that your reception is worse than it really is, bar wise. This doesn't fix anything. This isn't going to fix the people who live in lower reception areas from losing service completely or drop low enough to drop calls, where their previous iPhones or whatever they used works fine.

Don't waste your breath, people round here won't take that sort of a comment seriously. Even if they should.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #183 of 434
So in this case when I hold my phone in landscape mode it will drop to no signal sooner? and kill of data connection...
post #184 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Just to re-write your list based on the technical explanations I've read:

1. Signal attenuation caused by something (your hand) blocking the signal.
2. Antenna de-tuning caused by direct physical contact with the antenna and/or bridging the gap between the two antennas.

3. The proximity sensor issue.

#3 I think is irrelevant to this discussion. My understand is that is simply a display issue with the the sensor not properly lighting/dimming the display when the phone is held close to your face.

#1 is the issue Apple says common to all cell phones. They are right about that. All cell phones, all radios, will suffer in performance when something blocks (attenuates) the signal from getting to the antenna. You don't need direct contact for signal attenuation. Just something between the receiver and the transmitter.

#2 is the issue Apple is completely ignoring/denying. Their design exposes the antenna to direct contact, which affects antenna performance. Anyone who has ever used rabbit ears on a TV knows this. Standing near the TV can have a mild effect on the reception. Actually touching the rabbit ears has a huge effect on the reception.

I disagree with your rephrasing of the issues involved, as I think your analysis confuses the issues in a way that distracts from the actual issues involved. To repeat, I think the issues are correctly defined as:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

  1. Attenuation caused by touching the antenna
  2. Complete data service [interruption] caused by bridging the seam
  3. Misfuntioning of the proximity sensor

Not being an antenna expert, I will defer as to whether attenuation or de-tuning is the correct word to describe issue 1, however, I don't think that changes the correct description of the issues. (And, no, I don't think one needs to be an antenna expert to correctly analyze the issues. Perhaps to solve them, but not to identify them.)

Issues 1 & 2 need to be distinctly and precisely delineated because issue 1 affects all iP4s, whereas, issue 2, based on reports, affects only some iP4s irrespective of location*. On affected iP4s, bridging the antenna seam results in predictable and repeatable interruption in data service. On unaffected iP4s, it does not. The effects from simply touching the antenna vs. bridging the seam are quite distinct, with a random touch on any iP4 causing issue 1 and bridging the seam causing issue 2, but only on some iP4s. This is a very important and defining characteristic of issue 2, which is not the case with issue 1, and strongly indicates that it is not a design issue, but some issue specific to only some iP4s.

You are correct, however, that Apple has not, at least in this announcement, addressed issue 2. That doesn't preclude the possibility that they are aware of it, investigating it, or may address it with a software update (if possible). They may simply not be addressing it at this time because they don't yet fully understand it. But this is in fact the primary issue that does need to be addressed.

I also disagree that issue 3 is irrelevant. Clearly this is causing some number of disconnected calls from the end call button being accidentally pressed. It's quite likely that at least some number of reported "dropped calls" are related to this issue**. So, I think it's important that this issue be part of the discussion.


* With 2 iP4s in close physical proximity to each other, a case where they should be receiving approximately the same signal, one iP4 may display this behavior while the other may not.

** This assumption is based on reports of "dropped calls" that don't appear in the logs as dropped calls.
post #185 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobility View Post

Even if this is true, it doesn't seem to be true for a vast number of people. There have been over 2 million phones sold (if you ask me to prove that I will ignore that request for a couple of reasons). Where are the numbers? How many people actually wind up in a situation where the signal degradation is "worse than other phones"? Then, when you factor in the issue of holding different phones in different places along their edges, how does the iPhone 4 stack up then?

My point is, there may be an issue, affecting a tiny percentage of people more because of where they use it than the actual device (as compared to other iP4 devices) they are using. However, the amount of ink spilled over this is completely and totally out of sync with the actual magnitude of the problem.

We don't know the number, because Apple hasn't released the numbers. You are right, where they are using it is a factor, as the Anand article points out. But, it is simply physics that a contact with an antenna will cause signal degradation and the iPhone 4 is the first iPhone to have an external antenna. How much of a problem it is needs to be determined, but it is a obvious issue. Is too much being made of this? Probably. But for anyone in an area with moderate to low signals, it is a real issue where it might not have been with earlier models. At the same time, the improved reception by moving outside, means those same people can get a usable signal if they aren't holding it wrong, where the older models might not have been able to get on network at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobility View Post

Also, do you know anything about how field tests are done and certification with carriers is performed? Serious question.

Apparently in German bars?

Actually, nothing at all.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #186 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I've noticed that the bars sometimes seem to be showing more bars than I would expect however the simple fact still remains that I can download 3G radio streams with no issues and then lightly hold the phone in my left hand and drop out of 3G to to the slower network and then get no service all within 10 seconds or so. And Apple thinks that normal!

Whatever Apple thinks they aren't admitting an antenna design issue. Which looks to be the case. For whatever reason it doesn't seem to affect those with a very strong signal, so Apple are using that to help their denial argument.

I personally don't want to spend 599 to try it out. I'll be awaiting iPhone 5 - with it's: "there was nothing wrong with the last antenna design, but for some strange reason we have redesigned it."
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #187 of 434
Everyone take a breath and read Gruber on this...
http://daringfireball.net/2010/07/translation_iphone_4
post #188 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As a reminder, if you are not fully satisfied, you can return your undamaged iPhone to any Apple Retail Store or the online Apple Store within 30 days of purchase for a full refund.

Likely discussed in this thread somewhere, but has anyone done this and been told their ATT contract renewal is terminated as part of the "full refund?"
post #189 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by iadroidx View Post

The iPhone 4's Solution:
image: http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...tch_tape2a.jpg
image: http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...ail_polish.jpg
image: http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r.../tape_duct.jpg
image: http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...pple7/band.jpg
image: http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...e7/2dcfgis.jpg
^bandaids come in a variety of colors

or for a last resort just use a pair of....
image: http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...le7/Empire.jpg
or fork over 30 dollars for an apple bumper.

*this new design should have been tested without a rubber case/cover before launch. If they did, they would have discovered how bad this issue really is.

There is another option and that would be,
image: http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...droidxalot.jpg

I'll add to your list...



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Whatever Apple thinks they aren't admitting an antenna design issue. Which looks to be the case. For whatever reason it doesn't seem to affect those with a very strong signal, so Apple are using that to help their denial argument.

I personally don't want to spend 599 to try it out. I'll be awaiting iPhone 5 - with it's: "there was nothing wrong with the last antenna design, but for some strange reason we have redesigned it."

Considering every iPhone is redesigned each year I guess your pretty safe on being able to claim victory on your prediction. Being pragmatic isn't a crime.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #190 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The part you keep leaving out is that EVEN WITH THE SIGNAL ATTENUATION, the iPHone 4 gets better reception than other phones. So why fix something that's already better than the alternatives?

Oh, fucking stop with the bullshit lying. I actually quoted that part of the article in another post.

Yes, the iPhone 4 antenna and baseband work vastly better in low signal conditions. This doesn't change the fact that it creates conditions for low signal simply by allowing the antenna to be touched by having it on the outside.

Again, the 4 uses the signal it gets better and will better reception overall. It will also lose signal more dramatically when touched than previous models. A fix would be to prevent such a dramatic loss of signal.

It is insane that people try to ignore this is an actual issue. Even Apple admits a case will improve the situation. Head up ass is not a flattering look for anyone.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #191 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

No, reception is better because of the exposed antenna.
The perception by John Q is completely due to the hysterical parroting of nonsense by ignorant bloggers and media.

The reception is better due to the better antenna and external placement. However, as a result of the antenna's location under certain commonly occurring conditions, the reception is vastly worse. The two are not contradictory. Apple can still have the ebtter reception but with a slightly different design to avoid the problem. This is basic.
post #192 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

It doesn't 'technically' get better reception... it really does get better reception. I live in AT&T hell... wilderness edge in Marin, and spend time in SF.
Reception in both has greatly improved.
Frankly, if the price for most people getting better reception is that a few folks have to use a bumper (I use one simply because its a great case, btw) or have to skootch their fingers a centimeter one way or the other, then its an overall win, and the disaffected can now take theirs back if they're truly that lazy, and stop whining. (I'm really searching for another term, but its SO appropriate here.)

You are getting better reception because you're holding it the right way. For those like me who are lefties or hold it in their left hand there will be worse reception.

I'll get the new iPhone with a Bumper anyway because the phone is so fragile. Tests from Anandtech have shown the signal drop is at par with other phones which theoretically means better reception than my 3G.

Even that poses new problems since many third party cases and docks can't connect through the Bumper.
post #193 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

The problem here is the return window is going to close before Apple admits the antenna problem lat alone comes up with a solution that might or might not help. We're over a week in and they've still not admitted the real issue exists.

Do you know a real issue exists?

Do you know that an above normal percent of the 2.5-3 million devices are experiencing the real issue?

Do you know that Apple won't resolve any real issue? problems to the satisfaction of the customer, regardless of return window (including: refund, replacement, compensation, etc)?

I don't know you-- but you appear (according to your posts) to be a whiny complainer.

I know Apple! They make excellent products. They pride themselves in customer satisfaction!

My bet is on Apple!

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
Reply
post #194 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Whoa their pardner.
If you've been spouting off all this time WITHOUT EVEN HAVING ONE, you really need to show some intellectual honesty be returning it before you even open it.
You have NO grounds for griping.
Return it now so someone who deserves it can get their hands on it.

No thanks. I've used them and operated them from other people and in AT&T stores. I have hands on experience with the phone and the issue. I am waiting to see if my phone with a case is usable. If it is, as I hope it to be great. If not some other person can deal with it's quirks.
post #195 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

And you explain the fact that most users (myself included) are experiencing far better reception in weak areas... how?

Because it is an improved design. By moving the antenna outside (and improving the baseband) you get much better reception in low signal areas.

Moving it outside results in it doing a better job at doing what it does. It makes it a better antenna. It also makes it more susceptible to degradation sue to touch.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #196 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Emphasis mine!

No, they are going to more-accurately report your true reception!

The truth hurts... fact of life!

.

But how does that explain the people who no get slower speeds and dropped calls going from a 3G or 3G S to an iPhone 4? It doesn't. Fair enough if they reporting the bars wrong, but simply side by side tests of different iPhone show the iPhone 4 cannot transmit data when held a certain way. Whereas other iPhone can. They might slow, but they don't slow like iPhone 4. Location dependent of course.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #197 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple

... Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong ... since this mistake has been present since the original iPhone, this software update will also be available for the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G ...

I find this to be absolutely hilarious.

If this isn't the most obvious lie and the most facile cover-up of said lie in Apple's entire history I don't know what is. They (and especially Steve Jobs), often bend the truth a bit but they rarely outright lie like this.

It also sounds like valley girl talk. "Dood! we totally didn't notice! Srsly!"

What's really "stunning" is that we are supposed to believe that they have been doing this since the very inception of the iPhone and never noticed it? Riiiight.
post #198 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Because it is an improved design. By moving the antenna outside (and improving the baseband) you get much better reception in low signal areas.

Moving it outside results in it doing a better job at doing what it does. It makes it a better antenna. It also makes it more susceptible to degradation sue to touch.

Freudian slip?
post #199 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

No, reception is better because of the exposed antenna.
The perception by John Q is completely due to the hysterical parroting of nonsense by ignorant bloggers and media.

It is ignorant to say someone like Anand is an 'ignorant blogger'.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #200 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by moofrank View Post

I like Apple, and I actually adore the Iphone, but I seriously hope they get crucified over this.
While there is often some amount of confusion and tiny deceptions permeating the computer industry, this is actually close to full out deception and fraud.

Their response to this issue has actually caused me to rethink future Apple purchases.

The actual problem is not really that bad. You just have to use the new iphone in a case or suffer dropped calls and data in weak signal locations. If Apple had admitted it, sent out a few free Itunes credits or some bumpers, we would have just all moved on.

I bet the next round of Apple job reqs will be PR people.

So true.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple says iPhone 4 calculates bars wrong, software fix forthcoming