or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › NYT: Redesigned Apple TV interface, possible new hardware in the works
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NYT: Redesigned Apple TV interface, possible new hardware in the works - Page 2

post #41 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I think you are missing the bigger picture here. Apple redefined all of the markets you cite, by taking them in new directions. No small thing. This is why I think whatever they do in the TV market won't be any more obvious than their previous efforts. If they can't redefine a market, they won't get into that market. We should know that about Apple already.

i'm not sure what you mean by bigger picture?
The iPod was just the natural evolution of the portable music player. Before that, we did have MP3 Players. And i will argue that wasn't really a re-invention either, just the natural evolution of portable music players. All Apple did was market it in such a way to allow the music industry to gain sales back from people who turned to the black market illegal downloads. Ok, 99 cents per song was a brilliant move. The iTunes Store was a great way to sell it, but not a re-invention. It all boils down to the most compelling argument to obtaining (leagally) music. They didn't create a device that psycically transmits the music to our brain or anything that would fundimentally change how we listen to music. We used to listen in the car, at home, in the office, on trips on portable devices. Apple (and many before them) just allowed us to take a greater amount of it with us, on a smaller device. we don't have to plan on bringing the music we like with us becuase is all there, in the size of a deck of cards.
post #42 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

It is really impressive when friends come over.

I have this all the time. Recently I had 4 people staying with me and none of them had ever heard of an AppleTV, but when I showed them all the content I had available without having to flick through DVDs or rentals, they were amazed. It was the hit of my house. The AppleTV is truly a great product, and if they upgrade it and make it more like an iOS device, but for the living room, even better.
post #43 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Why would adding an HDMI port indicate a future plan to sell internet connected TVs?

Because Apple like to buy parts in volume to keep costs down.
By incorporating HDMI ports into more products they can purchase them for less.

This fall Apple will most likely introduce a 4th gen iPod Touch for $299 that mimics the iPhone 4.
The most expensive components of the iPod Touch are the Display, RAM and battery.
An AppleTV based on the iPod Touch would not need a display, battery, multitouch, speaker, accelerometers, etc.

Apple could offer it as a $99 set top box that bring an App Store to your TV.
At $99 they would sell like hotcakes.
It would also serve to reinforce the iOS ecosystem, as certain apps would require an iPod, iPhone or iPad as a controller. I think it could also be a revolutionary gaming platform. It would be very similar to how Scrabble for iPad can use iPods and iPhones as virtual tile racks. It adds a very cool dimension to gaming that Apple's competitors can't.
post #44 of 75
The current Apple TV has proven that simply delivering media isn't enough. I think Apple should try to leverage the App Store's success and make Apple TV a third "screen size" for iOS apps. Apple was surprised to see that iOS games are becoming extremely popular on iPhone/iPod touch and iPad, so that obviously wasn't part of the plan for the original and current Apple TV.

But to fully leverage iTunes and its App Store, Apple needs to get developers to build yet another class of iOS apps for big screen HDTVs. Doing so could make the next Apple TV a far better value if the price is kept down. Gaming, TV/movie purchase and rental, HTML5 web apps, and general-purpose iOS apps would make Apple TV a great product. (Blu-Ray? PVR features? Forget it - Apple wants you to go through iTunes for everything except YouTube and Hulu.)

I think iAd is another essential ingredient to any future Apple TV success. In fact, I think iAd is designed for Apple TV more than any other Apple product. The first thing I thought when I saw that Nissan Leaf iAd was "The production quality is almost that of a TV ad." So yes, free and paid iPod/iPhone/iPad apps can benefit from iAd. But I would expect iAd's real value to come from replacing both traditional TV ads and web ads on Apple TV content.

Traditional TV ads are time-based. Advertisers buy 30 seconds of time on a network, pay an ad agency to create a commercial, then ask the network to fill the time slot with that ad. It's too easy for viewers to just fast-forward over them. iAds seem to be time-independent. The user can launch the iAd, play around and watch videos, then quit back to the app whenever they want.

Traditional web ads are just plain boring, and users have been conditioned to ignore them. They're hardly more effective than spam email. And Apple is strongly motivated to out-do AdMob and other web ad agencies in the long run. Hardware costs keep going down every year, and it will get harder and harder over the years for Apple to sustain its profits, which come mostly from hardware. At the moment.

iAds could also reduce the retail price of a future Apple TV by subsidizing its cost with ad revenue. The same way that iPhone is subsidized by the various cell carriers around the world.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #45 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

I have this all the time. Recently I had 4 people staying with me and none of them had ever heard of an AppleTV, but when I showed them all the content I had available without having to flick through DVDs or rentals, they were amazed. It was the hit of my house. The AppleTV is truly a great product, and if they upgrade it and make it more like an iOS device, but for the living room, even better.

For all its faults, limitations and seemingly "left for dead" HW and SW, it's still the best user interface of any media extender appliance I've used.

With iOS, a 1GHz A4 with Imagination GPU and 1080p decoder it will be even better. Add in an SDK and you have a product no one will be able to compete one-on-one and Apple can carve a profitable chunk out the last remaining media holdout.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Because Apple like to buy parts in volume to keep costs down.
By incorporating HDMI ports into more products they can purchase them for less.

This fall Apple will most likely introduce a 4th gen iPod Touch for $299 that mimics the iPhone 4.
The most expensive components of the iPod Touch are the Display, RAM and battery.
An AppleTV based on the iPod Touch would not need a display, battery, multitouch, speaker, accelerometers, etc.

Apple could offer it as a $99 set top box that bring an App Store to your TV.
At $99 they would sell like hotcakes.
It would also serve to reinforce the iOS ecosystem, as certain apps would require an iPod, iPhone or iPad as a controller. I think it could also be a revolutionary gaming platform. It would be very similar to how Scrabble for iPad can use iPods and iPhones as virtual tile racks. It adds a very cool dimension to gaming that Apple's competitors can't.

I wholeheartedly disagree with your reasoning aston why Apple will make HDTVs, but I think the other paragrpahs are dead on. I especially love the example of playing Scrabble in the living room using iDevices but displaying the board on the TV. That's excellent imagery and would sell thing faster than you can yell, "Developers! Developers! Developers!"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #46 of 75
Imagine iOS on Apple TV - like the article mentions. Now you got your games and favorite apps on your TV. Now imagine "Microvision inside"
There's an interesting article on MyAppleSpace on it.

Also discussed in this thread on AppleInsider
twitter and facebook is your life, MyAppleSpace is your iLife
Reply
twitter and facebook is your life, MyAppleSpace is your iLife
Reply
post #47 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

i'm not sure what you mean by bigger picture?
The iPod was just the natural evolution of the portable music player. Before that, we did have MP3 Players. And i will argue that wasn't really a re-invention either, just the natural evolution of portable music players. All Apple did was market it in such a way to allow the music industry to gain sales back from people who turned to the black market illegal downloads. Ok, 99 cents per song was a brilliant move. The iTunes Store was a great way to sell it, but not a re-invention. It all boils down to the most compelling argument to obtaining (leagally) music. They didn't create a device that psycically transmits the music to our brain or anything that would fundimentally change how we listen to music. We used to listen in the car, at home, in the office, on trips on portable devices. Apple (and many before them) just allowed us to take a greater amount of it with us, on a smaller device. we don't have to plan on bringing the music we like with us becuase is all there, in the size of a deck of cards.

If the evolution was so "natural," somebody else would have done it. It took Apple to put the pieces together in a way which redefined the experience of owning a digital music player. The results speak for themselves. The same goes for the iPhone. It doesn't require science fiction fantasies coming to life to break new ground. The same goes for the iPad. Lots of people around here and elsewhere complained that the iPad was a big yawn because it wasn't Star Trek enough. But that's looking like yet another category redefined by Apple.

So the bigger picture is that total reinventions are not the key to Apple's success. What they've been doing is looking at existing products and rethinking the way they work. They've had three big hits in a row from doing just this. They only look like natural evolutions after the fact. As with any good idea, lots of people slap their foreheads when they first see it, and say, "I could have thought of that!" But they didn't, did they?
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #48 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

If the evolution was so "natural," somebody else would have done it. It took Apple to put the pieces together in a way which redefined the experience of owning a digital music player. The results speak for themselves. The same goes for the iPhone. It doesn't require science fiction fantasies coming to life to break new ground. The same goes for the iPad. Lots of people around here and elsewhere complained that the iPad was a big yawn because it wasn't Star Trek enough. But that's looking like yet another category redefined by Apple.

So the bigger picture is that total reinventions are not the key to Apple's success. What they've been doing is looking at existing products and rethinking the way they work. They've had three big hits in a row from doing just this. They only look like natural evolutions after the fact. As with any good idea, lots of people slap their foreheads when they first see it, and say, "I could have thought of that!" But they didn't, did they?

Exactly - the world is full of people who "could have thought of the air plane ...".
twitter and facebook is your life, MyAppleSpace is your iLife
Reply
twitter and facebook is your life, MyAppleSpace is your iLife
Reply
post #49 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zab The Fab View Post

Exactly - the world is full of people who "could have thought of the air plane ...".

One of the great intangibles in any kind of art is making the impossible look obvious, effortless, and even easy.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #50 of 75
The new ATV will need a USB port ala WDTV if it wants to succeed.
"-but Jimmy has fear? A thousand times no. I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey strong bowels were girded with strength like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the...
Reply
"-but Jimmy has fear? A thousand times no. I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey strong bowels were girded with strength like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the...
Reply
post #51 of 75
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #52 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkaratemonkeydeathcar View Post

The new ATV will need a USB port ala WDTV if it wants to succeed.

I want "Light Peak" instead of USB and Firewire
twitter and facebook is your life, MyAppleSpace is your iLife
Reply
twitter and facebook is your life, MyAppleSpace is your iLife
Reply
post #53 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

One of the great intangibles in any kind of art is making the impossible look obvious, effortless, and even easy.

and since Apple is VERY good at doing just that, it makes everyone go "I could have done that douh".

I agree.
twitter and facebook is your life, MyAppleSpace is your iLife
Reply
twitter and facebook is your life, MyAppleSpace is your iLife
Reply
post #54 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zab The Fab View Post

Exactly - the world is full of people who "could have thought of the air plane ...".

my point is, there were iPod, iPad, iPhone - like products out there ALREADY!
Granted they weren't succesful becuase they didn't know how to market and design them and back them with the quality/namesake that Apple has.

we've had this discussion already years ago on the forums. Apple didn't do anything that hadn't already been done before. They just did it better and more compelling.

here's a few examples.

Online digital Music Store - IUMA (internet underground music archive) 1992, 9 years before iTunes

Digital Music Application and organization: Windows Media Player 2000 - Windows ME/2000, 1+ years before iTunes

First commercial MP3 Player - Audio Highway 1996, 5+ years before the first iPod

First smartphone - Simon by IBM 1992, 15 years before the iPhone, 10 years before the Blackberry

First iPad-like device - that's a tough one because they've been around in many forms...let's just say the iPad is like a PDA, which Apple did coin the term in 1992 with the Newton, so i'll give you that one. They just "revolutionized" the idea this year...18 years later, and after countless other less successful tries at it. However, if you were to find a deivce that was like the iPad out there prior to launch, the Archos devices, the first closest to the iPad being the AV300 in 2004.

E-Book Readers, the first was called the SoftBook and the Rocket Ebook in 1998, 9 years before the Kindle and 12 years before the iPad, granted the iPad isn't only an Ebook reader but it falls into the category, so i'll give that the iPad is still the only leg you got.

my point being, Apple wasn't the first, they just did it better, with better marketing and design and reputation. I wouldn't call that a bunch of "could-have's". But, i'm beating a dead horse. I respect your opinion, I have mine.
post #55 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

my point is, there were iPod, iPad, iPhone - like products out there ALREADY!
Granted they weren't succesful becuase they didn't know how to market and design them and back them with the quality/namesake that Apple has.

we've had this discussion already years ago on the forums. Apple didn't do anything that hadn't already been done before. They just did it better and more compelling.

here's a few examples.

Online digital Music Store - IUMA (internet underground music archive) 1992, 9 years before iTunes

Digital Music Application and organization: Windows Media Player 2000 - Windows ME/2000, 1+ years before iTunes

First commercial MP3 Player - Audio Highway 1996, 5+ years before the first iPod

First smartphone - Simon by IBM 1992, 15 years before the iPhone, 10 years before the Blackberry

First iPad-like device - that's a tough one because they've been around in many forms...let's just say the iPad is like a PDA, which Apple did coin the term in 1992 with the Newton, so i'll give you that one. They just "revolutionized" the idea this year...18 years later, and after countless other less successful tries at it. However, if you were to find a deivce that was like the iPad out there prior to launch, the Archos devices, the first closest to the iPad being the AV300 in 2004.

E-Book Readers, the first was called the SoftBook and the Rocket Ebook in 1998, 9 years before the Kindle and 12 years before the iPad, granted the iPad isn't only an Ebook reader but it falls into the category, so i'll give that the iPad is still the only leg you got.

my point being, Apple wasn't the first, they just did it better, with better marketing and design and reputation. I wouldn't call that a bunch of "could-have's". But, i'm beating a dead horse. I respect your opinion, I have mine.

With all due respect to your opinion I think it's hard to argue in any way shape or form that Apple is "only" ... anything. It kind of makes all the other companies out there look incredibly stupid since they can't seem to do what Apple is [only] doing.

Apple has invented so many things in it's lifetime, and reinvented a lot as well. So they are doing "just" a big thing
twitter and facebook is your life, MyAppleSpace is your iLife
Reply
twitter and facebook is your life, MyAppleSpace is your iLife
Reply
post #56 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zab The Fab View Post

With all due respect to your opinion I think it's hard to argue in any way shape or form that Apple is "only" ... anything. It kind of makes all the other companies out there look incredibly stupid since they can't seem to do what Apple is [only] doing.

Apple has invented so many things in it's lifetime, and reinvented a lot as well. So they are doing "just" a big thing

that's exactly it, Apple was following a natural progression of technology, they just happend to skip steps 4-9 on a 10-point process. Some call that a re-invention, other call it an evolution. I am the later.
post #57 of 75
Let's hope so. If android is first to market it would easily take the market. I hope apple stirkes first or at least very close to Google's release date.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #58 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Because Apple like to buy parts in volume to keep costs down.
By incorporating HDMI ports into more products they can purchase them for less.

That's right, Apple adds HDMI just in time for its death?

http://www.thinq.co.uk/2010/7/1/tv-b...-hdmi-goodbye/
post #59 of 75
The device could also be control by a magic mouse since its wireless and multi-touch. But I am more than curious on what controller will be used out of the box. At 99 its probably gonna be the cheap apple remote. But I hope for a revolutionary small multi-touch pad that would be very low cost.
post #60 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


ZZZZZZZZZZZZ............

You have been talking about this Apple Television for the past 6 years if I recall exactly.
Boy, let's keep waiting for it.
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
post #61 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugy View Post

ZZZZZZZZZZZZ............

You have been talking about this Apple Television for the past 6 years if I recall exactly.
Boy, let's keep waiting for it.

I only registered 4 years ago, but yes, it feels like 6 years.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #62 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

that's exactly it, Apple was following a natural progression of technology, they just happend to skip steps 4-9 on a 10-point process. Some call that a re-invention, other call it an evolution. I am the later.

No. Apple did not simply follow a natural progression of technology (whatever that means). They advanced the progression of technology with their inventions and re-inventions. Big difference.
post #63 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

No. Apple did not simply follow a natural progression of technology (whatever that means). They advanced the progression of technology with their inventions and re-inventions. Big difference.

Some get a satisfaction from taking incredible things in our world and reducing them to something simple they can better deal with. There is no room for amazement in this world view.

There is in mine and I recognize it when I see it.
twitter and facebook is your life, MyAppleSpace is your iLife
Reply
twitter and facebook is your life, MyAppleSpace is your iLife
Reply
post #64 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Well put.
Monitors (or as the pundits seem to be implying, 'TVs') are a commodity item. Low margins, high warehousing costs. In addition, they are not 'one size fits all', the way peripherals are. Where is Apple going to display the variety of monitors necessary to serve the wide variety of needs out there? Scrap and rebuild ALL of the Apple Stores?

Come one... this is what Best Buy is for.


You people are short-sighted. An HDMI port is only good for one thing... hooking up to a TV. Thus including an HDMI port on the Mini is an indicator that Apple is heading more directly into the home theater arena. What form that may take will be revealed shortly... stay tuned for further exciting developments.
post #65 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

The device could also be control by a magic mouse since its wireless and multi-touch. But I am more than curious on what controller will be used out of the box. At 99 its probably gonna be the cheap apple remote. But I hope for a revolutionary small multi-touch pad that would be very low cost.

Duhh. It will be an iPhone or iPod Touch.
I control my laptop and iTunes when hooked up to my big screen tv via my iPod Touch. This is an amazing set-up really and the way of the future.
post #66 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I only registered 4 years ago, but yes, it feels like 6 years.

yeah, it does indeed.
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
post #67 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I've been a big fan of AppleTV and have owned one for years now. Just having the internet radio for music and playing all my photos in a slide show with the Ken Burns effect on my 50" flat screen TV is worth the price of admission.

It is really impressive when friends come over.

To me it has revolutionized how I view my photos and listen to music. Not to mention getting rid of all my stereo components and the attendant wires, pwr bricks and clutter!

I used to order movies on AppleTV, but now have a redbox across the street and a free 6mo movie channels and a cox cable DVR (free) so I just record movies and shows.

Mostly have cable for TigerGolf and Formula One. Cannot watch TV with stupid, inane commercials anymore! Agghhhhh

Best

I got the ATV so that I could dump all our videos into one place and keep our original DVDs safely locked away where they won't scratch or crack. Since doing so I discovered it opens up more than just being able to play movies without putting in a disc each time.

For our Kids I have special playlists setup so that their shows will play through to the next automatically. I know what you are thinking, we do regulate how much TV they can watch, it is just an extra plus that my wife now can put on some videos while she does some baking and doesn't have to stop every 15min or so to change out a disc.

The Internet Radios is awesome, and YouTube surfing from the couch is a big plus. I also love that I can get HD movies for similar cost as a regular DVD, though I'm disappointed at how many movies the studios have refused to allow Apple to cary in HD for purchase. Studios loss really, as we usually skip getting those movies and instead buy another one we like that is carried in HD. Disney is getting most of our movie fund right now.

The AppleTV really is a great start but if it went iOS4 it would really be amazing. If they do go this route I really hope they don't leave out us early adopters.
post #68 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

I got the ATV so that I could dump all our videos into one place and keep our original DVDs safely locked away where they won't scratch or crack. Since doing so I discovered it opens up more than just being able to play movies without putting in a disc each time.

For our Kids I have special playlists setup so that their shows will play through to the next automatically. I know what you are thinking, we do regulate how much TV they can watch, it is just an extra plus that my wife now can put on some videos while she does some baking and doesn't have to stop every 15min or so to change out a disc.

The Internet Radios is awesome, and YouTube surfing from the couch is a big plus. I also love that I can get HD movies for similar cost as a regular DVD, though I'm disappointed at how many movies the studios have refused to allow Apple to cary in HD for purchase. Studios loss really, as we usually skip getting those movies and instead buy another one we like that is carried in HD. Disney is getting most of our movie fund right now.

The AppleTV really is a great start but if it went iOS4 it would really be amazing. If they do go this route I really hope they don't leave out us early adopters.

It's the only interface my dad can figure out, so it's a pretty good one

It's still using 10.4 Tiger and 1GHz Pentium M CPU with 256MB RAM and nVidia G72M GPU with 64MB RAM. With a 1GHz A4 ARM CPU with 512MB RAM and an Imagination POWERVR SGX GPU and VXD decoder for 1080p it can do a lot more using less power and a lower cost. iOS 4.0 would be gravy making it a very efficient machine. I'd wager the interface would get even more responsive.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #69 of 75
As great a device as the apple TV (in its current conception) might be, it's not selling well. This is the main reason I could see Apple making an HDTV.

Let me explain:

I don't own an aTV and I don't want one. Furthermore, I've never used an aTV. It seems like its only purpose is to sell iTunes content; it's not clear to me why I would want to buy such a device--especially when there are so many other content options besides iTunes out there (like Netflix). I would however, love to have a small computer (namely, the new mini) hooked-up to a nice HDTV.

I think lots of people are in the same boat as me on this.

So, what is one supposed to think about the mini's inclusion of HDMI? I think it's rather odd that Apple would be positioning one of its computers so closely with its aTV.

The only way to broaden the appeal of an aTV is to include it in something else, like a BluRay player or game console. I'll state it as an axiom that Apple will not support BluRay (on the mini or aTV); nor will Apple make a game console any time soon.

Accordingly, one could surmise that an Apple HDTV is around the corner because it is the only other way to bundle the aTV (and iTunes TV/movie service) with an existing appliance that people actually want (and which Apple will let them have).

An Apple HDTV would be a big hit with people like me who actually want to hook a small computer up to their TV for entertainment content. I think this desire is becoming a mainstream thing. Even if it's not a ubiquitous inclination, it's at least a large and growing niche. (Did I mention that my primary TV is a 19" CRT and that I'm just waiting for the right TV to come along before I plunk down ~$3,000 on a flatscreen?)

All those people (like me) who think they don't need an aTV buy the HDTV to hook it up to the mini. It's at least a double win for Apple and the consumer, triple if the consumer finds value in the now relevant iTunes TV service.

Apple could be banking on this last prospect more than anything. Once I have an Apple HDTV, whoa, I'll suddenly care about the marvelous interface of the aTV; its phenomenal usability will then compel me to buy iTunes content for my TV. --Me, and lots of other folks (even if they never had any desire to hook-up a computer to their TV).

Apple is a hardware company becoming a service company. That is why Apple could conceivably get into the low-margin TV business. It's the only way they can sell aTVs and related iTunes content without undermining the very idea of iTunes TV content.

On its face, the idea of Apple making TVs may seem pretty stupid. As mentioned, they're low-margin; also, individuals don't buy them very often. But, computers are generally low-margin too and Apple does its thing there. And the fact that individuals don't buy TVs very often also offers potential for an Apple HDTV since CRT users are still out there, just waiting to upgrade; just by virtue of this reality Apple is already missing out on a huge market that its existing aTV can't serve (a modern flat-screen is required for aTV).

If you figure that Apple could swing a sweet deal with AT&T or Verizon to subsidize the hardware somehow, or that the holy grail of Ã* la carte cable could be achieved, then its a slam dunk. Who knows, maybe Apple could use the iPhone on Verizon as reason for FiOS/Apple HDTV integration and Verizon subsidies of same.

If Apple were to enter the HDTV market, the set would be gorgeous (of course) and would compel some people to buy it just for that reason. While most people don't buy TVs very often, some people buy them as often as they buy computers...
When will the governments realize it's got to be funky, sexy ladies?
-Flight of the Conchords
Reply
When will the governments realize it's got to be funky, sexy ladies?
-Flight of the Conchords
Reply
post #70 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

The Internet Radios is awesome, and YouTube surfing from the couch is a big plus. I also love that I can get HD movies for similar cost as a regular DVD, though I'm disappointed at how many movies the studios have refused to allow Apple to cary in HD for purchase. Studios loss really, as we usually skip getting those movies and instead buy another one we like that is carried in HD. Disney is getting most of our movie fund right now.

Think yourself lucky. Here in Europe (the UK in my case) we have exactly no movies available for purchase in HD. Zero. None. We can rent some in HD (although they are only available for rental for a brief period), but other than that movies are SD all the way here.

TV content fares even worse, with a tiny selection of HD content available. Big US shows (such as 24) are SD only, and even UK made HD shows are usually SD on iTunes. No idea why, and the situation is actually getting worse. Recently Fox, who used to provide HD movie rentals here have pulled ALL their HD content from iTunes UK.
post #71 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

... No idea why...

It's all about licensing. The future should be better for the most part as these things are being considered more often now, but it'll always likely be a rocky road.

Note that it affects every nation, the US is not immune.

Exhibit A

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ally_McBeal#DVD_releases
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #72 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugy View Post

yeah, it does indeed.

same to u
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #73 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIJG View Post

As great a device as the apple TV (in its current conception) might be, it's not selling well. This is the main reason I could see Apple making an HDTV.

Let me explain:

I don't own an aTV and I don't want one. Furthermore, I've never used an aTV. It seems like its only purpose is to sell iTunes content; it's not clear to me why I would want to buy such a device--especially when there are so many other content options besides iTunes out there (like Netflix). I would however, love to have a small computer (namely, the new mini) hooked-up to a nice HDTV.

I think lots of people are in the same boat as me on this.

The only way the Apple Tele would have an asses roar of a chance of being a hit for Apple is when they get a subscription TV Show deal 'of some kind' ironed out for the device. Then it's interesting. Without that it will always be a niche. If they got that though they could make a compelling AIO TV product. And they could continue to sell the box also which would mirror the TV functionally, but wouldn't quite have everything the TV had, the AIO nature being the obvious feature it couldn't imitate.

Until they have that all-you-can-eat (or best-of-TV) deal the Apple Tele would just be a luxury item, without being of great use to all that buy it. With the deal it could conceivably replace your cable box, and that's when it becomes interesting enough to get some mainstream interest.

Then even subsidies can come into play.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #74 of 75
I don't need a simple interface for the living room. I want to be able to play all my media. I want to have 1080p iTunes visuals when I play music.

Those are just a few of the myriad reasons why I'm getting a Mac Mini instead of an Apple TV.
post #75 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I don't need a simple interface for the living room. I want to be able to play all my media. I want to have 1080p iTunes visuals when I play music.

Those are just a few of the myriad reasons why I'm getting a Mac Mini instead of an Apple TV.

And at the price of that thing you've made Apple happy with your choice too. Subscription TV will be the key to Apple TVs success or failure - irregardless of whether it's a TV or a box or both that are sold concurrently.

What the TV has going for it is simplicity of use and setup, with space-saving style. The box can remain an add-on to make your existing TV look like an Apple Television.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › NYT: Redesigned Apple TV interface, possible new hardware in the works