or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple gives one business free bumpers for iPhone 4 reception issues
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple gives one business free bumpers for iPhone 4 reception issues

post #1 of 109
Thread Starter 
Though it has not given away protective cases to the masses to alleviate reception issues with the iPhone 4, Apple did attempt to appease one small New York business owner with five free $30 bumpers, AppleInsider has learned.

The business owner, who asked not to be named, said they are a longtime Apple customer that has supplied iPhones to their employees since the device was first released in 2007. Every year since, they have upgraded to Apple's latest handset.

But when they were among the first to receive their five iPhone 4s a day early last week, it was readily apparent something was wrong with the phones: Just touching the bottom left of the phone would cause a call to drop within 10 seconds.

"Literally, we live in an area where we get five bars," they said. "You can almost see a line-of-site cell tower. But if you literally just touch the black line (in the bottom left of the iPhone 4), you lose a call."

They soon contacted Apple to find out if they had a faulty batch of phones. At the time, the company's representatives were not yet aware of any issues with the device.

The business owner spoke with an entry Apple representative, and then they were transferred to an expert with Apple technical support. A representative even admitted that they, too, were experiencing reception issues when gripping their own, personal iPhone 4 on the left side.



An Apple employee last Thursday, June 24, requested that the business owner send videos of the issue so they could see what was happening. They even wanted to have all five phones brought in to a local retail store so the company could see it in person.

But by the end of launch day, a senior iPhone support representative informed them that all iPhone 4 hardware was experiencing the same problem. That Apple employee then offered free bumpers for their troubles.

Last week, Apple issued a formal statement in which the company said that using a case, such as Apple's $30 protective bumpers, can lessen the reception issue. The problem occurs when a user's bare skin bridges the two antennas found on the metal perimeter of the device.

Then, on Friday, Apple wrote an open letter to iPhone 4 users, in which the company repeated its stance that holding any phone will result in some lost reception. But it also said that the formula used to calculate bars of signal strength on the iPhone 4 is inaccurate, and will be corrected in the coming weeks with a free software fix.

One in-depth look at the iPhone this week found that cupping the iPhone 4 tightly can result in a loss of 24.6 dB of signal. The effect can be lessened with an exterior case, that prevents one's hand from acting as a conducting agent between the phone's antennas.

Some have even suggested that Apple may give away bumpers to address the issue, though one alleged internal AppleCare employee memo specifically stated that the company is not "appeasing customers with free bumpers." While that may be the official policy now, it was not last week, when Apple promised the small business owner in New York that they would receive some for free. That person has received their order confirmation, and the black-color cases currently have a wait of 5 to 7 days before they ship.

And despite their unhappiness with the reception on the iPhone 4, they said Apple's customer service was kind and helpful, and they plan to continue doing business with the Cupertino, Calif., company.

"Apple is a great company," they said. "We've always liked Apple."
post #2 of 109
Ugh! Bad move, Apple. Now that gets added to the court case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

An Apple employee last Thursday, June 24, requested that the business owner send videos of the issue so they could see what was happening. They even wanted to have all five phones brought in to a local retail store so the company could see it in person.

This shows an Apple employee don't disclosing they were aware of the issue last Thursday which destroys the conspiracy theorist claim that Apple built the Bumpers specifically to deal with this issue. Though I suppose Apple didn't tell their trusted employees about this or this employee was being coy and going the extra mile by having the customer send in video of this issue. Sneaky¡

Quote:
But by the end of launch day, a senior iPhone support representative informed them that all iPhone 4 hardware was experiencing the same problem. That Apple employee then offered free bumpers for their troubles.

This is the closest we've come to this affecting all iPhone 4s, but that could simply be an acknowledgement of the signal bars representation sensitivity issue.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #3 of 109
Where the FAAAAACK is my bumper for free?! I have a family of four and we had to pay for our bumpers to fix the reception issue. This dude had a business of 5? Come on Apple. Get it together.

EDIT:

This is what I think on the issue.

Apple says that all phones do this. Yes, I agree. My 3Gs did it too. They say that it is a software issue because the bars don't correctly resemble your real signal strength. That's fine. So, if that is the case, why would a bumper fix it? It isn't that you are COVERING the area, it is that you are touching the metal in that one specific spot. The bumper allows you to keep your kung fu death grip and not lose signal. That says that it isn't software but design issues. I think personally that Apple figured this out too late and decided to magically start making Bumpers that magically fix the problem. When has Apple ever made iPhone covers in the last 3 years. Never. And now they start making them when the iPhone has serious issues that these magic bumpers seem to fix. Come on. Really? If the software issue was true and my 3Gs did it too, why would my iphone 4 be soooooo much worse than it? If my finger on my RIGHT hand slightly slides down the phone and hits that spot....blam! call dropped.

I ordered my bumper not because I wanted to, but because I want to stopped dropping calls and there aren't any better cases out there yet.

I want a freaking refund.

Oh, and FIX THE DAMN PROXIMITY SENSOR PROBLEMS TOO!!!! I am sick of muting, holding, ending, etc calls with my ear!!!

I have been a dedicated Fanboy for years. But this is starting to piss me off. I spent a lot of money on these phones.
post #4 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

Where the FAAAAACK is my bumper for free?! I have a family of four and we had to pay for our bumpers to fix the reception issue. This dude had a business of 5? Come on Apple. Get it together.

This is exactly why they told their employees not to give them out.

Once one guy gets one, everyone will demand one.
Andrew
Reply
Andrew
Reply
post #5 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrubhar View Post

This is exactly why they told their employees not to give them out.

Once one guy gets one, everyone will demand one.

I agree. but read my edit. I don't think Apple is being truthful.
post #6 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

Where the FAAAAACK is my bumper for free?! I have a family of four and we had to pay for our bumpers to fix the reception issue. This dude had a business of 5? Come on Apple. Get it together.

This is what I think on the issue.

Apple says that all phones do this. Yes, I agree. My 3Gs did it too. They say that it is a software issue because the bars don't correctly resemble your real signal strength. That's fine. So, if that is the case, why would a bumper fix it? It isn't that you are COVERING the area, it is that you are touching the metal in that one specific spot. The bumper allows you to keep your kung fu death grip and not lose signal. That says that it isn't software but design issues. I think personally that Apple figured this out too late and decided to magically start making Bumpers that magically fix the problem. When has Apple ever made iPhone covers in the last 3 years. Never. And now they start making them when the iPhone has serious issues that these magic bumpers seem to fix. Come on. Really? If the software issue was true and my 3Gs did it too, why would my iphone 4 be soooooo much worse that it? If my finger on my RIGHT hand slightly slides down the phone and hits that spot....blam! call dropped.

I ordered my bumper not because I wanted to, but because I want to stopped dropping calls and there aren't any better cases out there yet.

I want a freaking refund.

Oh, and FIX THE DAMN PROXIMITY SENSOR PROBLEMS TOO!!!! I am sick of muting, holding, ending, etc calls with my ear!!!

I have been a dedicated Fanboy for years. But this is starting to piss me off. I spent a lot of money on these phones.

Jeez dude... you sound like someone killed your dog.
post #7 of 109
and a call went out across the land

free the bumpers
free the bumpers



9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #8 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrubhar View Post

This is exactly why they told their employees not to give them out.

Once one guy gets one, everyone will demand one.

Thanks for watching out for Apple. That'll help them save money!
post #9 of 109
My gut feeling is that at the end of the day, Apple will identify a manufacturer of an inexpensive edge case that they will make available to anyone who asks.
It won't be fashionista level, but will do the job and cost very little to distribute to anyone who wants one.

They will not give out the official Apple case, because that is NOT a cheapo device. If they need to give out something, it will be one aimed at functionality, not style.
post #10 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Jeez dude... you sound like someone killed your dog.

You are entitled to your opinion!
post #11 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

I want a freaking refund.

What's stopping you?


Quote:
Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

I don't think Apple is being truthful.

Where did they lie? Note, there is a reason why the statement, "The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth" exists. PR isn't designed to say the whole truth (I don't they even know it), they aren't designed to say nothing but the truth (they are designed to smooth relations), but they do have to tell the truth or they are liable.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #12 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

My gut feeling is that at the end of the day, Apple will identify a manufacturer of an inexpensive edge case that they will make available to anyone who asks.
It won't be fashionista level, but will do the job and cost very little to distribute to anyone who wants one.

They will not give out the official Apple case, because that is NOT a cheapo device. If they need to give out something, it will be one aimed at functionality, not style.

Wish Apple said the same! (Not that I agree with the "fashionability" of the Apple bumper, it sucks in my opinon. It undermines all the great work Jonathan Ive, the style guru, put in).
post #13 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

Where the FAAAAACK is my bumper for free?! I have a family of four and we had to pay for our bumpers to fix the reception issue. This dude had a business of 5? Come on Apple. Get it together.

EDIT:

This is what I think on the issue.

Apple says that all phones do this. Yes, I agree. My 3Gs did it too. They say that it is a software issue because the bars don't correctly resemble your real signal strength. That's fine. So, if that is the case, why would a bumper fix it? It isn't that you are COVERING the area, it is that you are touching the metal in that one specific spot. The bumper allows you to keep your kung fu death grip and not lose signal. That says that it isn't software but design issues. I think personally that Apple figured this out too late and decided to magically start making Bumpers that magically fix the problem. When has Apple ever made iPhone covers in the last 3 years. Never. And now they start making them when the iPhone has serious issues that these magic bumpers seem to fix. Come on. Really? If the software issue was true and my 3Gs did it too, why would my iphone 4 be soooooo much worse than it? If my finger on my RIGHT hand slightly slides down the phone and hits that spot....blam! call dropped.

I ordered my bumper not because I wanted to, but because I want to stopped dropping calls and there aren't any better cases out there yet.

I want a freaking refund.

Oh, and FIX THE DAMN PROXIMITY SENSOR PROBLEMS TOO!!!! I am sick of muting, holding, ending, etc calls with my ear!!!

I have been a dedicated Fanboy for years. But this is starting to piss me off. I spent a lot of money on these phones.

A bumper would fix it. A larger phone (essentially the bumper is built in) would also fix it—but that’s not something people want, either. Ditto for a big antenna sticking out the top, 80s-style: it may work, but people want compact. (I know I do.) And this effect is only important in certain situations, not worth making the phone bigger for everyone.

Apple has always been nice about bending the rules sometimes and offering you more than they have to. They gave me a bigger HD in my PowerBook once, for instance, at no charge. But any time a rule is bent, by definition, other people didn’t get that benefit. I can sympathize with the frustration of hearing about someone else getting something you didn’t. Did you ask and were turned down, or did you not think to ask? Either way—frustrating, but that’s life. You might consider calling Apple to ask for a refund on the bumpers, if the only reason you got them is because you couldn’t reliably make calls without them. (And if you’re in an area where coverage is THAT bad, then I sympathize with that too! For most people, the signal-loss is non-critical, and of concern in theory much more than in practice.)

Re software issue: Apple isn’t saying the signal loss is a software issue—it’s real and they acknowledge that (like all phones). The iPhone’s antenna design can even make the problem worse—but at the same time, the iPhone 4 gets much better reception overall, so I’ll still prefer the new design antenna! The software issue is the bar graph, which is making the physical problem seem BIGGER than it is. Making people think holding their phone is destroying reception when it’s only harming it a little. This is a real software problem, noted by Anandtech’s review long before Apple ever made this announcement (they noted it all the way back to the first iPhone). So it’s a software issue that should indeed be fixed. The bargraph will then be more accurate.

I definitely hope a software fix comes for the poxy sensor issue (that will bug me too when me iPhone 4 arrives). And I hope that you remember the 30 day deadline for returning your phone to Apple! You CAN get a refund, and you won’t have to bend any rules to get it You might need to try Verizon unfortunately, since it sounds like your AT&T coverage is near worthless. I’m lucky in my city. But there’s hope: the iPhone may come to Verizon in the next year, and then you’ll have another option.

If, on the other hand, you CAN make calls without a bumper, then maybe you’re a victim of the software problem: making you think something is seriously wrong when in fact the effect is minor. How often are those dropped calls? (The effect all depends how good the signal is where you live/travel. In a bad area, a small signal loss can be a killer, no doubt.)
post #14 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Jeez dude... you sound like someone killed your dog.

Lol, sorry! Just fired up cause I am having serious problems and never did with any of the previous iPhones. I am away from home all of the time so my phone is pretty important. Sucks when you start having such serious issues.

Maybe I should hire Lassie to carry paper messages here and there? Lol.
post #15 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

free the bumpers
free the bumpers

I think that would be the next move. They are letting people get used to the idea that it is an inherent flaw but everything else is so cool no one wants to give it up. They will likely send everyone a black or white bumper depending on the color they purchased. I personally like it naked and will buy one despite the antenna issues since I'm in a strong signal location. I am waiting for the proximity sensor issue to get sorted out which is likely fix in software, then I'm ready to buy one.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #16 of 109
After the $200 price drop on the original iPhone, there was such an out cry and bad publicity that Apple was forced to issue a $200 credit to all iPhone purchasers.

Again Apple needs to "do the right thing" and issue a $30 credit to all iPhone purchasers to cover the cost of purchasing a ($1) Apple bumper or a 3rd party case.

Regardless of what the iPhones software is reporting, the fact of the matter is that the faulty hardware design of the unit NECESSITATES the use of a bumper or case. The new hardware design is FAR MORE PRONE to signal attenuation than previous or competing designs. It is great that the iPhone 4 has a better antenna design. It is unfortunate that it is INCOMPATIBLE with human hands.
post #17 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What's stopping you?



Where did they lie? Note, there is a reason why the statement, "The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth" exists. PR isn't designed to say the whole truth (I don't they even know it), they aren't designed to say nothing but the truth (they are designed to smooth relations), but they do have to tell the truth or they are liable.

I agree but don't get me wrong, sure the software BS is true, but how will that fix the dropped calls that are ever so increased on the iPhone 4. Just because my bars are more reliable the problem will fix. No. You can't say that will fix the issue when the 3Gs that had similar problems isn't nearly as bad as the iPhone 4.

I want to love this phone, but when it comes down to it, it needs to be a reliable phone like the previous iPhones were for me.
post #18 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

A bumper would fix it. A larger phone (essentially the bumper is built in) would also fix itbut thats not something people want, either. Ditto for a big antenna sticking out the top, 80s-style: it may work, but people want compact. (I know I do.) And this effect is only important in certain situations, not worth making the phone bigger for everyone.

Apple has always been nice about bending the rules sometimes and offering you more than they have to. They gave me a bigger HD in my PowerBook once, for instance, at no charge. But any time a rule is bent, by definition, other people didnt get that benefit. I can sympathize with the frustration. You might consider calling Apple to ask for a refund, if the only reason you got bumpers is because you couldnt make calls without them. (And if youre in an area where coverage is that bad, then I sympathize with that too! For most people, then signal-loss is non-critical.)

I hope a software fix comes for the poxy sensor issue (that will bug me too when me iPhone 4 arrives). And I hope that you remember the 30 day deadline for returning your phone to Apple! You CAN get a refund, and you wont have to bend any rules to get it You might need to try Verizon unfortunately, since it sounds like your AT&T coverage is near worthless. Im lucky in my city. But theres hope: the iPhone may come to Verizon in the next year, and then youll have another option.

Keep in mind that if you break the plastic, there is a 10% restock fee. That ain't cheap. I sold my other iPhones just like I did the previous years. There is no going back without spending more loads of money. I am going to stick it out to see what happens. If the bumper fixes it, so be it. If the sensor gets fixed that would be fantastic. If not, then I am stuck with a bumper until a cooler case comes out and people constantly asking me "are you there" until I realize I muted them.

Just sucks to start having problems like this on a 4th gen device.

Might have flown off the handle a bit at first. Sorry everyone.
post #19 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

After the $200 price drop on the original iPhone, there was such an out cry and bad publicity that Apple was forced to issue a $200 credit to all iPhone purchasers.

Again Apple needs to "do the right thing" and issue a $30 credit to all iPhone purchasers to cover the cost of purchasing a ($1) Apple bumper or a 3rd party case.

Regardless of what the iPhones software is reporting, the fact of the matter is that the faulty hardware design of the unit NECESSITATES the use of a bumper or case. The new hardware design is FAR MORE PRONE to signal attenuation than previous or competing designs. It is great that the iPhone 4 has a better antenna design. It is unfortunate that it is INCOMPATIBLE with human hands.

I wouldn't even mind a partial refund. But, like you said, they are making a killing off the Bumpers. Things get marked up so much. I would give 10-15$ for them and not have been so upset.
post #20 of 109
Quote:
Apple is the dude lying in bed saying, "It happens to all men." Tech blogs are the chick next to him saying, "I know, it's ok"

This is my favorite quote about the matter so far.
post #21 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post


Apple says that all phones do this. Yes, I agree. My 3Gs did it too. They say that it is a software issue because the bars don't correctly resemble your real signal strength. That's fine.

That comment is a direct response to all the folks saying "I touch it and the bars go down" believing that they are losing reception. When in many cases they are not. They are either calling during a busy time for the nearest tower (which the bars dont have anything to do with) or you just generally have shit reception.

Quote:

So, if that is the case, why would a bumper fix it? It isn't that you are COVERING the area, it is that you are touching the metal in that one specific spot.
The bumper allows you to keep your kung fu death grip and not lose signal. That says that it isn't software but design issues.

or perhaps it is neither and it's that folks insist on trying to squeeze the phone to death when they hold it. Putting on a case is a placebo for many cause they kung fu grip the 'slick' phone out of fear they will drop it. With a case on, they have some 'grip' on the surface and can ease up on the squeeze

As for the policy I can see why they don't want to do it. If you just start slapping bumpers on phones for everyone that says anything about having low bars or shit reception you will miss some phones that really are defective. And then it gets out that the bumpers don't really do anything and Apple was conning everyone to avoid fixing the problem.

Quote:
I think personally that Apple figured this out too late and decided to magically start making Bumpers that magically fix the problem. When has Apple ever made iPhone covers in the last 3 years. Never.

when have they made a phone with glass that is much stronger than any previous cases to the point that they feel that all you might need is a little something around the sides to smooth off the edges etc.

And if the bumper was the cure for some major flaw, why didn't they put one in the box and thus encourage folks by having it there, to use it and thus no one would know about this issue at all

Quote:
If the software issue was true and my 3Gs did it too, why would my iphone 4 be soooooo much worse than it? If my finger on my RIGHT hand slightly slides down the phone and hits that spot....blam! call dropped.

Because the sweet spot was in a different place on the previous phones.

Quote:


I ordered my bumper not because I wanted to, but because I want to stopped dropping calls and there aren't any better cases out there yet.

I want a freaking refund.

take the case and the receipt back to the store and get your refund. Mind you, they will keep the case also.

In fact, since you are having such lousy receptions, why don't you just transfer your number to a new phone and return it also. Wait until Apple admits there is a major design flaw (in perhaps 1% of the phones they made) and fixes it and buy an iphone 4 then.

Quote:
Oh, and FIX THE DAMN PROXIMITY SENSOR PROBLEMS TOO!!!! I am sick of muting, holding, ending, etc calls with my ear!!!

Curiosity. When you set up your new iphone 4 did you do it using a back up of your old phone, rather than setting it up new. Cause all the sensor reports I've seen that is what they did and when they restored, set it up as new etc, no more problems.
post #22 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

I agree but don't get me wrong, sure the software BS is true, but how will that fix the dropped calls that are ever so increased on the iPhone 4.

Many, if not most, of the well respected reviewers and testers who have the 3G-Spot issue with their phone also claim they have better reception than before, so your claim that the dropped calls are increased doesn't hold water.


Quote:
Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

I wouldn't even mind a partial refund. But, like you said, they are making a killing off the Bumpers. Things get marked up so much. I would give 10-15$ for them and not have been so upset.

You only want a partial refund? Like 90%? How about a full refund and your AT&T contract with AT&T tore up with no requirement to pay the ETF fee?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #23 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Curiosity. When you set up your new iphone 4 did you do it using a back up of your old phone, rather than setting it up new. Cause all the sensor reports I've seen that is what they did and when they restored, set it up as new etc, no more problems.

I am going to do a clean install now, during the World Cup match. I've been having the proximity issue and can recreate it in any decently lit room. In a dark room, it appears to work perfectly.

While this isn't a fix for the problem, it is a decent work around for those not willing to wait a couple weeks for an update to appear.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #24 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

...
Regardless of what the iPhones software is reporting, the fact of the matter is that the faulty hardware design of the unit NECESSITATES the use of a bumper or case.
....

Yes it does. For some people in some areas. I agree that you should be able to hold a phone any way you like. (Which is not true of ANY phone in the right circumstances. Still the iPhone’s new design is extra sensitive because the metal is external.)

Despite this, testers have been showing the new iPhone getting BETTER reception—a LOT better—over all. So for most people, nothing is necessitated.

Gruber put it well I think: the new antenna is two steps forward, one step back. The step back is aggravating, but reception is still better in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

Might have flown off the handle a bit at first. Sorry everyone.

Well, dropped calls are no fun. And there is a LOT of hysteria over anything Apple. We understand


Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Many, if not most, of the well respected reviewers and testers who have the 3G-Spot issue with their phone also claim they have better reception than before, so your claim that the dropped calls are increased doesn't hold water.

It does hold water, if his experience is different from reviewers because he lives in a different area from them. Cell reception varies widely, so people will experience all kinds of things. There isn’t one single reception experience that all phone users share.
post #25 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I am going to do a clean install now, during the World Cup match. I've been having the proximity issue and can recreate it in any decently lit room. In a dark room, it appears to work perfectly.

While this isn't a fix for the problem, .

If you set up using a back up then in fact it may be a fix. The theory as to why it works is a bad setting/preference from the back up

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

Keep in mind that if you break the plastic, there is a 10% restock fee.

No there isn't. Not on the iphones. Because starting with the 3g you can't leave the store without them at least activating the phone to ensure that it will (so you don't walk out with a dead phone that won't pick up in itunes). Thus you didn't open the box, they did. So why penalize you for it.

For at least a few weeks at the start of the whole ipad thing they were having folks apparently pack dud stuff in the boxes and reseal them so they were opening all boxes, even breaking the plastic. No restocking fee for that either.
post #26 of 109
Good job Apple.

Now just give out 1,699,995 more free bumpers!
post #27 of 109
Disable the 3G capabilities (Settings - General - Network).

Sure, your internet speed will be Edge; but my iPhone 4 now ACTUALLY works better! I'm getting a better signal, longer battery life.

Give this a shot ... am I the only one that this seems to make a difference?

I have a iPhone G4 with a iFrogz case and work in a building with really BAD coverage. Since switching, I'm no longer dropping calls and my Edge downloads are 161-181 kbps and uploads at 14 kbps.

But, at least my freakin' phone works!!!
post #28 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple did attempt to appease one small New York business owner with five free $30 bumpers.

"Literally, we live in an area where we get five bars," they said. "You can almost see a line-of-site cell tower.

"Apple is a great company," they said. "We've always liked Apple."

If the company is in New York the bumpers ain't gonna fix the problem. It's the network.
post #29 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

That comment is a direct response to all the folks saying "I touch it and the bars go down" believing that they are losing reception. When in many cases they are not. They are either calling during a busy time for the nearest tower (which the bars dont have anything to do with) or you just generally have shit reception.



or perhaps it is neither and it's that folks insist on trying to squeeze the phone to death when they hold it. Putting on a case is a placebo for many cause they kung fu grip the 'slick' phone out of fear they will drop it. With a case on, they have some 'grip' on the surface and can ease up on the squeeze

As for the policy I can see why they don't want to do it. If you just start slapping bumpers on phones for everyone that says anything about having low bars or shit reception you will miss some phones that really are defective. And then it gets out that the bumpers don't really do anything and Apple was conning everyone to avoid fixing the problem.



when have they made a phone with glass that is much stronger than any previous cases to the point that they feel that all you might need is a little something around the sides to smooth off the edges etc.

And if the bumper was the cure for some major flaw, why didn't they put one in the box and thus encourage folks by having it there, to use it and thus no one would know about this issue at all



Because the sweet spot was in a different place on the previous phones.



take the case and the receipt back to the store and get your refund. Mind you, they will keep the case also.

In fact, since you are having such lousy receptions, why don't you just transfer your number to a new phone and return it also. Wait until Apple admits there is a major design flaw (in perhaps 1% of the phones they made) and fixes it and buy an iphone 4 then.



Curiosity. When you set up your new iphone 4 did you do it using a back up of your old phone, rather than setting it up new. Cause all the sensor reports I've seen that is what they did and when they restored, set it up as new etc, no more problems.


Ok. First it sounds like you don't even have a new phone to compare to an older iPhone. If you even had an older one.

From the way you speak, you sound like someone outside the box looking in that is only assuming.

1- I am using my iPhone 4 in the exact same places/times as my 1st, 2, and 3rd gen iPhones. Now I am having these problems with the new phone only. So that negates your first quote and comment towards me.

2- I can hold my phone in my right hand and ever so slightly touch the single spot on the phone and reception is dead. I have wanted so badly for it to be something that I am doing wrong. Trust me. Kills number 2

3- Like none of the previous phones had glass!? Really, you say they made this bumper only because they started using more "STRONGER" glass on the phone. Man, get your facts straight. The other iPhones shattered too. #3 dead

4- The sweet spot on the other phone WAS in a diff spot but covering it mistakenly or purposely didn't result in calls dropped. Only worse quality. These puppies drop fast on the iPhone. Do I need to say dead again?

5- I will take the case back and ask for a refund when I can get a better one. I honestly think that apple will drop the price anyway because a lot of people are bitching.

6- I don't know where you are reading your stuff because I have already read that and seen the multitudes of people being suggested that and then writing back later to say it either didn't fix at all or was only temporary. That's from Apples Support community.

I was going to try the fresh restore install until I kept reading.
post #30 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Ugh! Bad move, Apple. Now that gets added to the court case.


This shows an Apple employee don't disclosing they were aware of the issue last Thursday which destroys the conspiracy theorist claim that Apple built the Bumpers specifically to deal with this issue. Though I suppose Apple didn't tell their trusted employees about this or this employee was being coy and going the extra mile by having the customer send in video of this issue. Sneaky¡


This is the closest we've come to this affecting all iPhone 4s, but that could simply be an acknowledgement of the signal bars representation sensitivity issue.

I don't know if it destroys the conspiracy theory. This was low level front line employee that was appeasing a customer. If the leaked documents are true that surfaced earlier in the week then Apple was instructing employees to NOT promise bumpers to customers. This employee.... it could be argued went against company policy out of conscience to help a customer.
Personally I don't adhere to the conspiracy theory....... I don't Apple is that malevolent.

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #31 of 109
lol they gave out free bumpers to these people when earlier they said they could fix it with a software update.

what a nightmare for Apple.
post #32 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

Disable the 3G capabilities (Settings - General - Network).

Sure, your internet speed will be Edge; but my iPhone 4 now ACTUALLY works better! I'm getting a better signal, longer battery life.

Give this a shot ... am I the only one that this seems to make a difference?

I have a iPhone G4 with a iFrogz case and work in a building with really BAD coverage. Since switching, I'm no longer dropping calls and my Edge downloads are 161-181 kbps and uploads at 14 kbps.

But, at least my freakin' phone works!!!

The Apple store manager I was working with to fix my 4G phone did that exact same thing to my phone. My reply was that so now I have a sub standard Edge phone that was advertised as 3G?
He switched it back........

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #33 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

If you set up using a back up then in fact it may be a fix. The theory as to why it works is a bad setting/preference from the back up



No there isn't. Not on the iphones. Because starting with the 3g you can't leave the store without them at least activating the phone to ensure that it will (so you don't walk out with a dead phone that won't pick up in itunes). Thus you didn't open the box, they did. So why penalize you for it.

For at least a few weeks at the start of the whole ipad thing they were having folks apparently pack dud stuff in the boxes and reseal them so they were opening all boxes, even breaking the plastic. No restocking fee for that either.

Yes there is. I paid it when I took back the 1st iPhones. I bought the originals way back and didn't like AT&T. 10% restock. They might have changed it but it's been since then.

AT&T has actually improved greatly in my area since then.
post #34 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Ugh! Bad move, Apple. Now that gets added to the court case.

Uhhhh, good move Apple. Those bumpers cost less than $1 to manufacture.
post #35 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

My gut feeling is that at the end of the day, Apple will identify a manufacturer of an inexpensive edge case that they will make available to anyone who asks.
It won't be fashionista level, but will do the job and cost very little to distribute to anyone who wants one.

They will not give out the official Apple case, because that is NOT a cheapo device. If they need to give out something, it will be one aimed at functionality, not style.

does anyone remember when apple "quietly" recalled the A/C USB wall plug from the iPhone 3g? I can't remember if it was an email from apple, a post on their support site or a blog from AI but it was very quiet. Those A/C adapters go for about $29 on apples website, come on! Why couldn't they just do the same with the bumpers. I know a recall of millions of handsets would kill the profit margin for the iphone division budget so that's probably not going to happen...but, please...charging $30 to fix a problem they allegedly knew about...that's BS! How much can those bumper really cost Apple? maybe $1-$2 per item? It's freakin' rubber and plastic. they used to charge $1-$2 for those crazy Swatch Watch protectors...seriously Apple? Enough has been reported and enough people have complained.
post #36 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

lol they gave out free bumpers to these people when earlier they said they could fix it with a software update.

what a nightmare for Apple.

Dont feel too bad for Apple.

They never said a software fix could solve the signal loss. Thats not what the software fix doesthis was made clear.

And one Apple rep doing one thing in one case is not the same they who made the official announcement.

Apples nightmare is simple: the media will jump on anything, make a stink and sell ads, and if it has Apple or iPhone in the story, thats worth extra And that is a great nightmare: it helps Apple far more than it hurts them. We could say its not fair that Nokia isnt getting equal press for pretending their phone doesnt suffer similar issues, when their own manual states otherwise. But Nokias also not getting their name dropped every 4 seconds, building mindshare. Apple just has to take the rough with the smooth.
post #37 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Uhhhh, good move Apple. Those bumpers cost less than $1 to manufacture.

I've been quite critical of apple and think that Apple needs to address the reception problems in a public statement. Perhaps they should even offer free bumpers if the problem can't be fixed via software.

However those bumpers certainly cost more than $1 to produce. I've got one on my phone (which thankfully fixed the reception problem) and I've got to say that the bumper is much more complex than it looks on the Apple website.

It is comprised of quite a few intricate pieces. There are three captive buttons with chrome finish. The equator of the bumper is hard plastic while the outer rings are rubber.

Sure, it isn't expensive in raw material, but it is one of the most complex cases to manufacture. It actually involves assembly, not just dropping plastic out of a mold.
post #38 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

...
Enough has been reported and enough people have complained.

A lot has been reported... but only some of it true.

A lot of people have complained, but what tiny fraction of ALL iPhone 4 users are they?

The question is the magnitude of the problem. If it’s a massive killer failure affecting a huge % of users, denied and covered up by evil villains in a tower somewhere (as people make it out to be) then that’s one thing. Maybe that will turn out to be the case.

If, on the other hand, it’s a more minor problem, then all the enraged shrieking by people who are NOT personally affected is a little silly. (People who are in the situation where this kills calls have every right to complain—and we should thank them for it, because that’s how improvements can happen.)

I also don’t blame people for overreacting to a video where the right circumstances, coupled with a software problem in the bargraph, cause a bunch of bars to disappear quickly. But the reality is what matters more—and the reality seems to be that most people are getting excellent coverage and signal with the new iPhone—better than ever, in fact.

Remember, people with a problem will speak up—it’s human nature. Online, they’ll seem to be a huge group, while the silent masses don’t bother posting threads to say “Still getting good signal with my iPhone 4.” There’s little motivation to speak up when you are happy with the way things are.
post #39 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Uhhhh, good move Apple. Those bumpers cost less than $1 to manufacture.

I'm guessing you don't actually own a bumper.

They're a combination of plastic, rubber, and metal. It's not a simple thing to make.
Andrew
Reply
Andrew
Reply
post #40 of 109
To add to my previous post, I think the reason why they aren't just handing out the bumpers is because, unlike the USB power adapter recall of the iPhone 3g, they can't jsut fix the problem in the factory, or haven't found a reason to fix anything yet, or don't know how to fix it in the manufacturing process. That could answer my question about just handing these out to everyone, because now they would have to hand them out for free UNTIL they fix the problem, allegedly.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple gives one business free bumpers for iPhone 4 reception issues