Originally Posted by wizard69
That upside coming when iPad TWO comes out. To be perfectly honest I'm holding off on an iPad because I don't think the curreent model, as configure, can realize it's full potential. For one the current model doesn't have enough RAM. More so the base model needs the GPS and Gyro. On top of all of that a much faster processor would be a huge advantage.
It would be extremely nice if Apple could get such a platform out by November. Frankly it has been extremely hard to resist this version one device, in many ways it is excellent for a version one device and using one is most impressive (magical). It is easy to see why Steve Jobs said more than a year and a half ago that he was most impressed with things he didn't release which was later revealed to be a comment about the iPad.
IPad is one seriously nice piece of hardware with a few quirks. One being tying the GPS to the 3G model. GPS should really be base line functionally on such devices. On top of that a simple USB port would have solved many issues including the availability of a web cam.
On the otherhand I avoid the Apple stores just to make sure a snap purchase is not made. I'm still more impressed by iPad than iPhone 4 as I think it will fit my needs better.
Ha Ha Ha... especially the last sentence!
I don't think you'll see a new iPad before January, for a couple of reasons:
1) the current model is supply constrained... what, me worry?
2) Apple needs to use its resources (read consumer product launches) efficiently. This includes human resources, manufacturing lines, and component supplies.
3) Apple is trying to space these launches throughout the year so they/we/and our wallets
have some breathing room between the last and next big thing.
4) If they accomplish 3), they will always be in the news (reviews of the last, speculation about the next).
5) doing 3) and 4) will keep us customers occupied/pacified, and the competition churning to react/catch up.
Here is what I think will be Apple's major
events for a typical calendar year.
Q1 == iPad
Q2 == iMacs, Power Macs
Q3 == iPhone
Q4 == laptops, iPods, iPod Touch
I suspect the iPad 2 will be announced in early-mid Jan, delivery in late Jan-early Feb.
The current iPads will continue to be offered, starting at $199-$299.