or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Consumer Reports: signal issues not unique iPhone 4, no reason not to buy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Consumer Reports: signal issues not unique iPhone 4, no reason not to buy - Page 11

post #401 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'm not disagreeing with Apple on this fact. I say give it back too.

I say put a damn case around it like you always did with every iPhone before it.
post #402 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSwitcher View Post

I got myself all six of them to match different outfits for different occasions (some still on their way). If you are poor any $1.99 case will do too. But no, it's all about complaining.

And what about all of us that look STUNNING with silver accessories without some dumpy looking case?
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #403 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No, he said one of. It's your reading into it that make you come up with the fact that he was actually saying that was the one and only iPhone in the world that worked correctly.

Besides, most think at this stage that most are actually affected, but it depends on a few factors whether or not you'll actually notice it. Judging by the Macrumors poll half will notice it.

It's clear what his implication was. I would also point out, besides the fact that such a poll will tend to attract those affected more so than those not affected, "half" is not "most"
post #404 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

People's interpretations aren't dropping calls and slowing data, those facts aren't up to interpretation. Like I said, those that are giving out are doing so because their older model iPhones didn't have this issue, where you touch a spot and the signal dies. A speedtest is the best test and shows the speed slowing and speeding up as if that spot were a brake pedal.

There you go, confusing the issues again.
post #405 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Now you're just making shit up.

No. You must be so focused on your anger that you don't realize that this post actually contradicts one of the last few you made, the one where you say half of iP4 owners are affected. You aren't being rational.
post #406 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'm not disagreeing with Apple on this fact. I say give it back too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSwitcher View Post

I say put a damn case around it like you always did with every iPhone before it.

Actually, I (and I'm sure most people too) would have loved and bought the iPhone4 anyway even if Apple had made it with this Bumper built-in and unremovable. And yes, even if they charged $29 more for it too. You know that is true. Apple always sets the standards that everyone else will desire and follow, be it metal, plastic, glass, rubber, b/w, color or else.

That said, the fact that they sell me 6 different colors of their take on the iPhone 'finish' only makes it even better. Again, if you're smart, you won't leave it unprotected.

Only wanna use it bare AND have to endure AT&T in the US, then I'm sorry for you. Yes, give all that iPhone goodness back to Apple and get a robot, or cyborg or whaddayacallit.
post #407 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

It's clear what his implication was. I would also point out, besides the fact that such a poll will tend to attract those affected more so than those not affected, "half" is not "most"

Yeah, but they've only just got it. Even more people will experience issues as people travel, move homes, move jobs etc.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #408 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

No. You must be so focused on your anger that you don't realize that this post actually contradicts one of the last few you made, the one where you say half of iP4 owners are affected. You aren't being rational.

You lost your rationality many moons ago.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #409 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

And what about all of us that look STUNNING with silver accessories without some dumpy looking case?

Oh, well... wait for the iP4 version of this:


post #410 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

It's clear what his implication was. I would also point out, besides the fact that such a poll will tend to attract those affected more so than those not affected, "half" is not "most"

If the poll went the other way you'd be linking to it, and you know it.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #411 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSwitcher View Post

I say put a damn case around it like you always did with every iPhone before it.

A damn case? Don't tell me or anyone what to do with their phone. The last thing I'm going to do is cover up a major engineering mishap. I use Apple products because of their attention to the details, not so I can hide the side of the phone to get it to work.

You're all full of shit.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #412 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Yeah, but they've only just got it. Even more people will experience issues as people travel, move homes, move jobs etc.

No..... they'll experience less issues as they get cases for their brand-new iPhones.

Admit it, this is only an issue because most people still haven't got their cases. They will get them eventually, and not even more because of this issue.

The iPhone is like your dick. You should always use it with protection, for several reasons.

- further discussion is OT
post #413 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSwitcher View Post

No..... they'll experience less issues as they get cases for their brand-new iPhones.

Admit it, this is only an issue because most people still haven't got their cases. They will get them eventually, and not even more because of this issue.

The iPhone is like your dick. You should always use it with protection, for several reasons.

- further discussion is OT

Protection doesn't prevent dropped calls or slower or no data it just helps reduce it. I think there sill be cases out sooner or later that do solve the issue but they'll be noticeably bulkier.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #414 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

A damn case? Don't tell me or anyone what to do with their phone. The last thing I'm going to do is cover up a major engineering mishap. I use Apple products because of their attention to the details, not so I can hide the side of the phone to get it to work.

You're all full of shit.

Everyone is full of shit until they relieve themselves of it. But it seems YOU are mistaking AI for your toilet by trying to bring insults up over here...

The last thing I'm covering the sides of my phone for is covering an engineering mishap. I'm covering it for (in order of priority):

- customizing it to my liking
- protecting it from accidents
- protecting it from scratches when lying flat
- improving my grip
- avoiding any signal attenuation (last, because I'm not in the US and never had a dropped call)

So, whether I suffered AT&T or not I would still have four other reasons for using a case, and those are the same reasons most people have used cases for their iPhones since the first one. Won't be different this time around.
post #415 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Protection doesn't prevent dropped calls or slower or no data it just helps reduce it. I think there sill be cases out sooner or later that do solve the issue but they'll be noticeably bulkier.

According to AnandTech's study, which seems to be the most reliable so far, using a case did bring the attenuation on par with the other phones. Which means that, as long as you use a case, all that is left of the dropped calls problem is AT&T's poor network. We all know that is not exactly news... and overall connection even seems to have improved compared to the 3GS.
post #416 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Yeah, but they've only just got it. Even more people will experience issues as people travel, move homes, move jobs etc.

More intentionally baseless speculation on your part.
post #417 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If the poll went the other way you'd be linking to it, and you know it.

You mean if it said half of them didn't have it?
post #418 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSwitcher View Post

Everyone is full of shit until they relieve themselves of it. But it seems YOU are mistaking AI for your toilet by trying to bring insults up over here.

The last thing I'm covering the sides of my phone for is covering an engineering mishap. I'm covering it for (in order of priority):

- customizing it to my liking
- protecting it from accidents
- protecting it from scratches when lying flat
- improving my grip
- avoiding any signal attenuation (last, because I'm not in the US and never had a dropped call)

"avoiding any signal attenuation"

You forgot the other part, avoiding touching a black line on the side of your phone which is proven in cases to completely stop antenna signal going anywhere, which has nothing to do with the usual "attenuation" phones get. It's a completely different issue altogether.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #419 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

You mean if it said half of them didn't have it?

Exactly, you're hypothesis is nonsense either way. And judging by the amount of denial round here I'd say if the poll is skewed it's in favour of denying the issue exists not the other way around.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #420 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Exactly, you're hypothesis is nonsense either way. And judging by the amount of denial round here I'd say if the poll is skewed it's in favour of denying the issue exists not the other way around.

OK, sanity check. Half having the problem and half not having the problem are exactly the same thing. So, in this case, "if it were the other way around," is exactly what it is. This is pretty basic stuff, yet you're acting like it would mean something different. I think you need to step back, take a deep breath, and seriously consider that you've abandoned all objectivity and rationality on this issue, fueled on perhaps by the handful of posters here that would like to provoke you into doing just that.
post #421 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

"avoiding any signal attenuation"

You forgot the other part, avoiding touching a black line on the side of your phone which is proven in cases to completely stop antenna signal going anywhere, which has nothing to do with the usual "attenuation" phones get. It's a completely different issue altogether.

Yes, it is a completely different issue altogether, that's exactly the point. And, based on what reports there are, unless, for example, you wish to assert that solipsism is lying to us on this point, it's a completely different issue that doesn't affect all phones.

If you try to lump all the issues together, which you seem to be doing most of the time, while sometimes acknowledging that they are different issues, all you end up doing is creating confusion.
post #422 of 452
Ireland,

You’ve resorted to trolling once again. On top of that you have nothing to say but to make abusive posts. I think this is in direct correlation to the media frenzy on this dying down but you need to cool it or you’re likely going to cross the one line here at AI. For all out sakes, at least pretend to be civil.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #423 of 452
Lets wait till after the software fix comes out. I have a feeling it will be more than a cosmetic fix. Hopefully the software update will enhance the signal (Maybe just wishful thinking but we'll see soon enough).
As has been mentioned, A Case or Bumpers will do alot to alleviate dropped calls. I know it's almost impossible to find a case but cases will begin appearing in about another two weeks if last years senario follows suite.
Yes its frustrating, but not everyone is encountering the problem.
post #424 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Lets wait till after the software fix comes out. I have a feeling it will be more than a cosmetic fix. ...

Yes, clearly, the bar display will not be the only change in the upcoming update.
post #425 of 452
Today I spent half the day in Edinburgh. Mixed results that's for sure. There were some places where I had 5 bars on 3G where holding the phone as usual made no difference at all (felt pretty strange ) but that wasn't the norm. Most places I went the phone varied between dropping all 5 bars and going down to the slower network and then usually dropping down to 1 bar to just dropping one bar. Overall even though I usually lost bars the internet speeds weren't too bad unless it switched to the slower network which happened only about a quarter of the time. This was all in the center of the city as I went out of town even after half a mile or so the network would switch over from 3G to the slower network far more often, at least half probably closer to 3/4 of the time, and if I'd given it more time I wouldn't be surprised if it happened nearly all the time.

Overall though in the very center of Edinburgh I could use 3G. However, about a quarter of the web pages on 3G wouldn't load. Repeatedly my phone would just try loading a page and then give up after a long time trying. The only way I could get back 3G was to switch airplane mode on and then off again, it would quickly find 3G again and my pages would load. But it kept happening at the most I only ever got 7 or 8 web pages to load before I would have to switch on airplane mode on then off. Switching 3G on and off didn't work the few times I tried it. Hopefully there will be a SW fix for this.

On my old 3G I had 3G pages not load but only very occasionally.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #426 of 452
Here is another take on it
The only conclusion I can draw from these data is that the iPhone 4 3G cell signal reception is really inconsistent. A few outliers in these datasets appear to throw thing off significantly - check out that 0.3 Mbps download with the full-on death grip. Id discard the outliers, but the thing is, in every round of tests I get crazy outliers. This, I think, shows the inconsistent results (both in usage and measuring) in real-life scenarios.

All the tests were done using the FCC Mobile Broadband Test app. I sat in the same spot in downtown Portland, away from any obvious sources of interference. A larger dataset would likely flatten out the deviations. This is all I had time for.



(link)
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #427 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Here is another take on it…
The only conclusion I can draw from these data is that the iPhone 4 3G cell signal reception is really inconsistent. A few outliers in these datasets appear to throw thing off significantly - check out that 0.3 Mbps download with the full-on death grip. I’d discard the outliers, but the thing is, in every round of tests I get crazy outliers. This, I think, shows the inconsistent results (both in usage and measuring) in real-life scenarios.

All the tests were done using the FCC Mobile Broadband Test app. I sat in the same spot in downtown Portland, away from any obvious sources of interference. A larger dataset would likely flatten out the deviations. This is all I had time for.



(link)

Not good. You might want to check this out too- http://www.tuaw.com/2010/07/06/video...ime-with-real/

And just the YouTube link- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCfyK...layer_embedded
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #428 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Not good. You might want to check this out too- http://www.tuaw.com/2010/07/06/video...ime-with-real/

And just the YouTube link- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCfyK...layer_embedded

I like Ericas app. While it seems pretty clear there is a larger issue at play they really do need to adjust the way the bars are calculated. −95dB for 5 bars doesnt seem right.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #429 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I like Ericas app. While it seems pretty clear there is a larger issue at play they really do need to adjust the way the bars are calculated. −95dB for 5 bars doesnt seem right.

I don't know anything about the db's but it's odd that Apple didn't either!
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #430 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Here is another take on it[INDENT]The only conclusion I can draw from these data is that the iPhone 4 3G cell signal reception is really inconsistent. A few outliers in these datasets appear to throw thing off significantly - check out that 0.3 Mbps download with the full-on death grip. Id discard the outliers, but the thing is, in every round of tests I get crazy outliers. This, I think, shows the inconsistent results (both in usage and measuring) in real-life scenarios.

All the tests were done using the FCC Mobile Broadband Test app. I sat in the same spot in downtown Portland, away from any obvious sources of interference. A larger dataset would likely flatten out the deviations. This is all I had time for.

Actually, it tells you another thing - you have a lousy connection at all times. Even your best performance ratings are dismal.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #431 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Actually, it tells you another thing - you have a lousy connection at all times. Even your best performance ratings are dismal.

Well, these particular tests, depending on when they were done, may not mean anything at all. There are reports scattered about of AT&T experiencing network problems since at least the beginning of this past holiday weekend, which might also explain some of the outliers as well.

EDIT: Although, some of the reports are of the nature of "Did AT&T cap upload[/download] speeds."
post #432 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I don't know anything about the db's but it's odd that Apple didn't either!

Of course Apple knows what dBs are and how to measure them. They pulled a marketing stunt that others clearly have done to make their device (or network for devices reworked by carriers) to give the illusion of better reception, but its not a lie because the bars dont have resolute values.

Consumers as a whole dont understand signal strength as an absolute value, they only understand the bars. More bars is better, even if you are comparing to another phone with 4 bars to yours with 5 bars even if the phone with less bars actually has a higher strength signal.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Actually, it tells you another thing - you have a lousy connection at all times. Even your best performance ratings are dismal.

You' isnt me.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #433 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I like Ericas app. While it seems pretty clear there is a larger issue at play they really do need to adjust the way the bars are calculated. −95dB for 5 bars doesnt seem right.

But why does her app only go up to -80dB instead of -50dB?

That way it indicates that -95dB is a good signal even though it's not.

An HTC Nexus One will also drop to -113dB when gripping at -95dB.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
post #434 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Of course Apple knows what dBs are and how to measure them. They pulled a marketing stunt that others clearly have done to make their device (or network for devices reworked by carriers) to give the illusion of better reception, but it’s not a lie because the bars don’t have resolute values.

I figured that they might have been doing that. It sort of negates their "stunned" response. Indeed you may say they lied.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #435 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSwitcher View Post

I say put a damn case around it like you always did with every iPhone before it.


right on, this is a non issue---and it doesn't cause dropped calls as per recent articles

can't wait for the white ones, we'll get two!!!!
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #436 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

right on, this is a non issue---and it doesn't cause dropped calls as per recent articles:

http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=11158
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #437 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

"avoiding any signal attenuation"

You forgot the other part, avoiding touching a black line on the side of your phone which is proven in cases to completely stop antenna signal going anywhere, which has nothing to do with the usual "attenuation" phones get. It's a completely different issue altogether.

Different issue, same solution.
post #438 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSwitcher View Post

Different issue, same solution.

Huh? No. No. No.

Attenuation has always affected phones, it's a fact of life using a mobile phone. So users have used their iPhones without cases since the first one. This issue is far more serious, in that it can "completely" stop signal going anywhere. So if you are like me, and you used no case - and believe it or not there are many people like this, particularly in Europe it seems - you now have to change the way you used your phone by adding on a case - at an additional cost too mind you.

Interesting enough, you have to wonder why they make the iPhone 4 so pretty given that you have to cover it up for it to work properly. And you have to wonder why they never felt like they had to mention: "oh yeah, just so you know if you don't use a case with this iPhone it may not work as we have advertised it to work without a case in our advertisements" - before the iPhone went on sale. This is false advertisement.

People think by Apple saying you can return your phone within 30 days that this issue is just going to go away like it never happened, but it's not. It's more serious than that, and Apple aren't addressing it as such. In fact Apple has refused to acknowledge the issue is a problem. This has surprised me the most of all about the situation, given that Apple normally are great with the littlest of details. It's like as un-Apple as things go, really.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #439 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerten-flash View Post

No! MY iPhone 4 is the best. I fart in your iPhone 4's general direction.

Love the "Holy Grail" reference.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #440 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You're wasting your time. Any kind of logic left this forum weeks ago. It's like trying to make a point while surround by a thousand vuvuzelas.

Frankly, the vuvuzelas make a far less irritating noise than you do lately.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Consumer Reports: signal issues not unique iPhone 4, no reason not to buy
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Consumer Reports: signal issues not unique iPhone 4, no reason not to buy