or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › "6 Months Until the Largest Tax Hikes in History"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"6 Months Until the Largest Tax Hikes in History" - Page 10

post #361 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post

To effectively implement their proposals Rs need a majority in the House, and a supermajority in the Senate - a complete reversal of Congress's 2007 composition. I don't know if they've ever experienced that, but if such a happy event were to occur, BHO is likely to veto anything Congress proposes (such as repeal of his health insurance mandate, for instance). While their opposite parties ruled Congress, both Clinton and Reagan vetoed just about everything that crossed their desks.
.

I think your point here is quite valid; the repeal of ObamaCare is the very least that needs be done by the new Republican majority after November, in addition to an immediate halt on deficit spending! Not a single Democrat is even mentioning ObamaCare in their campaigns and this was suppose to be the signature Democrat achievement! Most Americans were against ObamaCare and are still against it... Democrats must be willing to accept the will of the majority of Americans and repeal ObamaCare as soon as possible... Further along, an immediate 20% across the board cut in all federal spending is needed....
post #362 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

I think your point here is quite valid; the repeal of ObamaCare is the very least that needs be done by the new Republican majority after November, in addition to an immediate halt on deficit spending! Not a single Democrat is even mentioning ObamaCare in their campaigns and this was suppose to be the signature Democrat achievement! Most Americans were against ObamaCare and are still against it... Democrats must be willing to accept the will of the majority of Americans and repeal ObamaCare as soon as possible... Further along, an immediate 20% across the board cut in all federal spending is needed....

Quote:
the repeal of ObamaCare is the very least that needs be done by the new Republican majority after November,

Good luck with that one!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #363 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Of course you do. And it shows us your capacity for serious, thoughtful analysis and logic.



And all of his prescriptions are making it worse. Sad but true.

Actually Obama didn't even come close to what he said should be done.

Answer that question yet?
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #364 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Wouldn't.




Only with people who are concerned with such irrelevancies.




Won't, not can't. Learn the difference.




I was asking what Evolution was. Not his opinion. Not his beliefs. He may share those if he likes, but that's not the discussion.

Now are you going to derail this thread with your complaints about what's happening in another thread?

Quote:
I was asking what Evolution was.

By asking that he has to provide some of what he believes. Something you refuse to do yourself!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #365 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

By asking that he has to provide some of what he believes. Something you refuse to do yourself!

Take it to the other thread.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #366 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Actually Obama didn't even come close to what he said should be done.

I know...Krugman wanted trillions more to be spent. What the heck it isn't his money. It isn't his job. Krugman is a first class idiot.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #367 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Take it to the other thread.

Ok. Already did.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #368 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

the repeal of ObamaCare is the very least that needs be done

The could just simply gut it and starve it. That might work. Unfortunately remnants of its destructive distortions will likely live on and screw up and already screwed up system which will lead to further asinine claims that the "free market" in health care has failed ("See! See how fucked up it is! We need the government to DOOOO something!") At which point a bunch of mindless lemmings, like the ones who were dumb enough to believe what Obama promised during his campaign, will start dragging us further down the road toward the destruction of health care in this country. Or we could try freedom, but what fun would that be.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #369 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

The could just simply gut it and starve it.

Can't be done, without at least a simple majority in both houses.

Then, they'll have to grow some balls. Like hers:

A is A
Reply
A is A
Reply
post #370 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post


God please! I just ate.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #371 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

God please! I just ate.

Ugh. I wonder if she gets eye socket lint.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #372 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

... further asinine claims that the "free market" in health care has failed

Few are familiar with what a "free market" in health care means, despite the fact it's incredibly easy to find out.

Try going to a doctor or dentist and asking up front what a visit or procedure will cost. Explain you do not have insurance and that you will be paying cash. Reasonable question, right? Most of the time you'll get a blank stare or the answer will be "what insurance company do you use", so you have to reiterate the question and explain what "cash" means. You might have to do this with several doctors, that's OK, there are lots of them (at present). Some even speak English.

Eventually you'll find one that will say "cash? You betcha! Office visit, sixty bucks." Or something. If it's too much take your business elsewhere. I've been doing this for years. I estimate I pay about 1/3 of what would the cost would be with insurance.

You also see the free market at work with cosmetic surgery (see pic above) since most of that is performed outside the insurance realm. Apparently she went the cheap route. Perhaps the expensive ones didn't want to go there.

Now, of course you need insurance for unexpected events and continued care, but routine office visits and minor procedures are negotiable, and - for the time being - legal.

Sounds like an improbable idea to implement on a wide scale? I understand your skepticism. Read how this company is doing it right now:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/11/te...r=1&ref=global
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124536722522229323.html

Like it? So did Obama, who publicly endorsed the plan, saying "...we are open to doing more to help employers adopt and expand programs like this one." Meanwhile, the bill he signed into law last March kills it in 2014! Apparently "helping employers" was utter bull. Surprise!

Is it any wonder Americans are fed up with these guys?
A is A
Reply
A is A
Reply
post #373 of 683
Former Obama apologist Peter Orszag favors extending the Bush tax cuts... all of them.

Quote:
"Congressional deadlock works in its favor."

Close, Mr. Former Apologist, close. Congressional deadlock works in our favor.

Obama, between vacation breaks, sticks to his guns - which means sticking it to US:

White House Rejects New Orszag Proposal

Those evil, obstructionist Rs say "Good idea - why didn't we think of that?"

Boehner Offers Concession on Tax Cuts

It would appear he's now "howling with laughter".
A is A
Reply
A is A
Reply
post #374 of 683
Republicans are telling the country they have raped that she actually liked it and let's compromise by submitting to further rape.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #375 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Republicans are telling the country they have raped that she actually liked it and let's compromise by submitting to further rape.

You "progressives" are quite fond of violent hyperbolic descriptions of things aren't you?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #376 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

You "progressives" are quite fond of violent hyperbolic descriptions of things aren't you?

They have to show they're "progressive" by moving beyond such things as courtesy, moderation, and civil discourse. Those are such outdated, "conservative" notions, anyway. It's much more effective to get your point across using vulgarity, crudeness, and hyperbole. That's why MSNBC dominates in the ratings.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #377 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

You "progressives" are quite fond of violent hyperbolic descriptions of things aren't you?

It's an attempt to compensate for their unique inability to predict history.
A is A
Reply
A is A
Reply
post #378 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post

It's an attempt to compensate for their unique inability to predict history.

this is not even a sentence.

predicting history???
I predict your history: You will be born from an anus. You will also be voted the least intelligent person ever measured.

wow this must be the worst juxtaposition of words I have ever seen.
yes I want oil genocide.
Reply
yes I want oil genocide.
Reply
post #379 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post

It's an attempt to compensate for their unique inability to predict history.

History is in the past. Prediction is for future events. Now, you may want to rewrite history all you want in an attempt to claim that Republican policies didn't fuck 95% of the country against their will, but the facts are the facts and you can't do a goddamn thing to change them.

I saw a comment on reddit earlier and it very much rings true. All this nonsense with the mosque and immigration before that and homosexuality before that...all this stuff is to keep the 95% of the population split against each other. Racial warfare keeps the 95% who get fucked by Republican policies in check. Racial warfare distracts the 95% from what Republicans fear the most: class warfare.

When a CEO gets a bonus because he met fiscal goals by slashing wages or jobs, that's fucked up. That's what the 95% of Americans should be angry about. We shouldn't be fighting each other. We should be shouting in unison that corporate greed at the expense of the overwhelming majority of the population NEEDS TO STOP.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #380 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Ugh. I wonder if she gets eye socket lint.

I'm guessing you'd have unkind things to say to liberals if they treated your leaders with the same childish disrespect.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #381 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

I'm guessing you'd have unkind things to say to liberals if they treated your leaders with the same childish disrespect.

I suppose I have to put [joke] tags around comments that are not meant to be taken seriously, now.

Where's your sense of humor? Look at the picture. Her eye sockets are cavernous.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #382 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I suppose I have to put [joke] tags around comments that are not meant to be taken seriously, now.

Where's your sense of humor? Look at the picture. Her eye sockets are cavernous.

Alright alright don't get your magic underwear in a bunch. Fine, I'll play your game, too. Glenn Beck seems like a reasonable representative of how batshit crazy mormons are. I mean, seriously. His empty skull is cavernous!

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #383 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Alright alright don't get your magic underwear in a bunch. Fine, I'll play your game, too. Glenn Beck seems like a reasonable representative of how batshit crazy mormons are. I mean, seriously. His empty skull is cavernous!

You think I consider him a leader. Now THAT'S funny.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #384 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

History is in the past. Prediction is for future events. Now, you may want to rewrite history all you want in an attempt to claim that Republican policies didn't fuck 95% of the country against their will, but the facts are the facts and you can't do a goddamn thing to change them.

I saw a comment on reddit earlier and it very much rings true. All this nonsense with the mosque and immigration before that and homosexuality before that...all this stuff is to keep the 95% of the population split against each other. Racial warfare keeps the 95% who get fucked by Republican policies in check. Racial warfare distracts the 95% from what Republicans fear the most: class warfare.

When a CEO gets a bonus because he met fiscal goals by slashing wages or jobs, that's fucked up. That's what the 95% of Americans should be angry about. We shouldn't be fighting each other. We should be shouting in unison that corporate greed at the expense of the overwhelming majority of the population NEEDS TO STOP.

Quote:
Now, you may want to rewrite history all you want in an attempt to claim that Republican policies didn't fuck 95% of the country against their will, but the facts are the facts and you can't do a goddamn thing to change them.

I've tried to tell the Spinmaster this but he won't listen. He either replies with stuff that doesn't relate to what I've said or he uses the typical Republican talking points. It's colossal waste of time. And of course if the Republicans win big this election and they can't change things over night like they wanted Obama to do then we're " truly fucked " according to him because of course the Republicans are our only hope and they'll make it all better. Just like they did last time
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #385 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormhole View Post

...
predicting history???

Since humor requires a minimum amount of intelligence to appreciate, I wouldn't expect you to comprehend a thing I wrote.

Which, by the way, I meant precisely as written.
A is A
Reply
A is A
Reply
post #386 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post

Since humor requires a minimum amount of intelligence to appreciate, I wouldn't expect you to comprehend a thing I wrote.

Which, by the way, I meant precisely as written.

Quote:
I wouldn't expect you to comprehend a thing I wrote.

Yes you're so superior. What a crock!

Quote:
Since humor requires a minimum amount of intelligence to appreciate, I wouldn't expect you to comprehend a thing I wrote.

Some humor is unintentionally funny. Sometimes it takes a little more grey matter to appreciate that.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #387 of 683

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #388 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post


And pretty telling also!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #389 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post


Cute straw man.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #390 of 683
Just the facts, ma'am.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #391 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Just the facts, ma'am.

Actually, it's not just the facts. Because if it was the facts then the cartoon would portray all of the things that Obama is doing (or proposing)...not just one thing...and look at the entire body of policies and run that up against the accusations people are making and labels their claiming.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #392 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Just the facts, ma'am.

Select "facts".

Where's Bush 41? Carter?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #393 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Cute straw man.

Cute quip.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #394 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Actually, it's not just the facts. Because if it was the facts then the cartoon would portray all of the things that Obama is doing (or proposing)...not just one thing...and look at the entire body of policies and run that up against the accusations people are making and labels their claiming.


It's addressing one subject!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #395 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

It's addressing one subject!

Yes, and it's implying that people are labeling him in a particular way because of only one subject. That's an error. A big one.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #396 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Select "facts".

Where's Bush 41? Carter?

Not only that, but it focuses on only a single tax (top marginal income tax rate). There's no mention of capital gains tax rate going up, or the tax for people who don't buy health insurance. Or any other taxes. The whole cartoon is silly and stupid. It's a typical liberal tactic. Focus on one specific thing, ignore all the other crap that's going on and assume that that one thing is what everyone it up in arms about. Morons.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #397 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Cute straw man.

They're all fixated on who occupied the Oval Orifice. As I've stated many times in the past, it's a simplistic and meaningless comparison, and appropriate only for the simpleminded. The "chart" is a cartoon, devoid of any meaningful information.

Quote:
Where's Bush 41? Carter?

Found 'em. Kennedy, and Truman too:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_djgssszshg...rent+taxes.gif

Note the rapid rates of increase under LBJ, Carter, and Clinton.

As I've said the President is of little consequence. What matters is not the top tax rate - which no one pays anyway - it's not even taxes collected as %GDP as depicted in the chart above. As you see, for the past 60 years it's remained within a small range no matter what the top tax rate happens to be. What matters is GDP itself, an indicator of prosperity as well as predictor of total Treasury revenue.

What I don't understand about you socialists is if you want higher tax revenue to support your big fat government ideas, why do you support high tax rates?
If anything, the two bear an inverse relationship to one another.

Taxing an activity results in less of it. Higher taxes equates to less GDP. Tax policy that encourages economic growth resulting in increased GDP is the only way out of our present economic mess.
A is A
Reply
A is A
Reply
post #398 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Yes, and it's implying that people are labeling him in a particular way because of only one subject. That's an error. A big one.

Only someone with that mindset would see it that way.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #399 of 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Only someone with that mindset would see it that way.

I think what you mean is that only someone who saw the cartoon would it it that way.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #400 of 683
Now...back to those modest tax increases:

Business Income to Shoulder Over a Third of Tax Increase on Top Earners:

Quote:
39 Percent of $630 Billion in Revenue from Expiration of Top Two Rates Would Come from Business Income

Advocates of allowing the top two federal income tax rates to expire claim that only 2 or 3 percent of businesses would be affected, but a new Tax Foundation report shows that more than one-third of the revenue from an increase in the top two rates would come from business income.

About 39 percent of the $630 billion tax increase on high-income taxpayers (defined by President Obama as individuals earning more than $200,000 and married couples earning more than $250,000) in 2011 would come from business income. This amounts to an extra $246 billion in taxes on business income over 10 years.

The fact that only 2 or 3 percent of taxpayers with business income would face higher taxes is meaningless to the debate, said Tax Foundation President Scott Hodge, who authored the paper. What matters most is not the number of taxpayers impacted, but the amount of business income and, therefore, business activity impacted.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › "6 Months Until the Largest Tax Hikes in History"