or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon mocks Apple's iPhone 4 antenna issue with full-page NYT ad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Verizon mocks Apple's iPhone 4 antenna issue with full-page NYT ad - Page 4

post #121 of 152
Verizon's backing the wrong horse again.
post #122 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenG4 View Post

Evidence that they will NOT, in fact, be getting the iPhone any time soon.

I hear Verizon are testing a new network - something that allows voice and data at the same time. My bet would be they'll get the iPhone when this new network becomes active, provided the iPhone is still the phone to get.
post #123 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It will be different this time. Steve will quietly go, never to be heard from again.

Sarcasm at it's finest........

Personally I don't see Verizon getting iphone until LTE, whenever it is viable.
post #124 of 152
Is Lil' Marissa Mayer certain that oddball UI design is optimal for eliciting ad clicks?

http://www.theonion.com/video/new-go...ads-dir,17470/
post #125 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Verizon's backing the wrong horse again.

Um... more like Apple is backing the wrong horse, again. AT&T sucks and Verizon is better. They know it. We know it.
post #126 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamiend View Post

Um... more like Apple is backing the wrong horse, again. AT&T sucks and Verizon is better. They know it. We know it.

You're dealing with the same people who threw tantrums when Apple switched from PowerPC to Intel. Better to let it go... fortunately the people who run Apple are looking at things from a business perspective.
post #127 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Frankly Apple should get slammed for this. They've shown a lack of respect for it's users by saying "don't hold it that way" and saying there is no problem.

Bitter, party of a small few.

My iPhone 4 is awesome-no signal problems even when i bridge the little gap with my tongue trying to reproduce this issue!
I get better service now than i did with the 3g or 3gs.
Apple should be praised for a wonderful new phone period.
post #128 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcarswell View Post

Bitter, party of a small few.

My iPhone 4 is awesome-no signal problems even when i bridge the little gap with my tongue trying to reproduce this issue!
I get better service now than i did with the 3g or 3gs.
Apple should be praised for a wonderful new phone period.

It's a good thing your iPhone is working well for you but for others it didn't. Not everyone is in your situation. Apple's response simply wasn't good enough. They deserved to be attacked over it by competitors just like Apple attacked Vista in the Mac vs. PC ads.
post #129 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrkiran View Post

Thanks for defending Apple's rights! It's always nice to see some support for the underdog!

I'm sorry, but I must respectfully disagree with your assertion that Apple is the underdog. Yes, it USED to be, but it is no longer--far from it. With the largest App Store in the world, the raging success of the iPhone, iPod, iPod Touch, and now the iPad, Apple is now the leader.

Additionally, with this newfound lead comes responsibility. And there's where Apple is failing. It's now under investigation for antitrust concerns on several fronts.
post #130 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Worse case you slide your hand a millimeter in any direction. It still takes 'supposedly' more than a few conditions to be met to drop the signal a trivial amount.


It's not a trivial signal amount as is shown in dB's here with an app specifically written to test it- http://www.tuaw.com/2010/07/06/video...ime-with-real/

Just the YouTube link- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCfyK...layer_embedded

With a bumper on 5 to 1 bars in 25 seconds- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUX1t...eature=related

And this is what Daniel Eran Dilger didn't include in his article here at AI on the Consumer Reports blog-

"While we've been unable to date to create the reported conditions in our National Testing Center in Yonkers, New York, I and a colleague did repeatedly experience loss of signal when using an iPhone 4 a few miles north of there today.

While in my home, I held the iPhone in my left hand, gripping it with normal pressure. My palm covered a gap between parts of the metal band that forms the outer ring of the iPhone and serves as its antenna. As I did so, I moved my pinky finger to the corresponding gap on the other side.

Almost immediately, the signal strength began to drop in the meter from the original three or four bars—depending on my location within the house—to zero bars. The drop took about 5 seconds.

Apple has admitted to problems with the metering on its iPhones, and there's some question about whether the drop in displayed signal is merely a metering issue, and whether call quality or the ability to place calls is affected.

In my informal tests today, however, the drop had a significant effect on both call success and quality. When the phone was in the low-signal state in my hand, calls placed to it from another cell phone (a Motorola Droid, running on Verizon's network) repeatedly failed.

And when I initiated a series of calls to editor Paul Reynolds, and then placed my pinky over the gap in the iPhone 4's band as I continued speaking, the calls consistently deteriorated. Paul first heard my voice breaking up, followed by static and the dropping of the call; again, the elapsed time from the placing of the pinky to the call being dropped was about 5 seconds.
~ http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ele...reports-s.html
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

Reply
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

Reply
post #131 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

...Do people forget how much Apple mocked intel chips?

No, so what's your point? Intel wants Apple as a customer: Intel better watch how they discuss Apple (there was an instance of this a year or so ago). If Verizon wants an Apple phone, Verizon better watch how they discuss Apple. Apple can say whatever the heck it wants to about either of them. The cachet is in the Phone with the Apple name -- not in the chip it uses, nor in the carrier that carries it. Apple will be dictating the terms of any deal.

Anyhow, companies (good companies) use different suppliers for different things at different stages of evolution. The Pentium series was really bad. And what was particularly being mocked was that people were saying how wonderful it was that clock speed was going up and up on Intel chips, while G4's and G5's were not going up in clock speed so quickly with each new update. The G4 and G5 had a different design approach that looked at reducing the instruction set, shortening the pipeline, broadening the through-put, reducing the heat and power consumption, I/O controller, back-side cache, 64-bit-ness, etc. etc. These features all made for a better chip. But people looked at one spec, the clock-speed number, and not the actual processing that was being done (hence the need to explain the Megahertz Myth).

But IBM hit a wall and started going in a different direction (servers or embedded chip designs or whatever). And Intel scrapped the Pentium designs and went back to the drawing board for the Core Duo line (you did notice that clock speeds went back down to around 1.8 MHz, didn't you, from well over 3 for the Pentium line) before going slowly back up to where they are now. Shows that Intel acknowledges the design principles that went into the PowerPC chips. Shows that the Megahertz Myth as explained by Apple fans really did hold water. But PC fans like to forget that.

Apple critics like to say how inconsistent Apple is (suddenly using Intel after badmouthing it, etc.), but it is completely consistent of Apple that it looks at all aspects of a design and not just one or two raw specs. They have shown overwhelming consistency and singleminded focus on making the best products they can. Much more so than anyone else. Apple doesn't go for the special of the week and throw in a particular chip just because they can get an extra boatload that no-one else wants. For the most part, Apple commissions (and even largely designs) the parts that Apple wants its suppliers to build. If a supplier can't deliver it, they look elsewhere.

Same thing happens now in other areas -- people go off on this or that spec quoting the better numbers on paper for competing products, but Apple doesn't play that game; Apple quietly tweaks a bunch of things under the hood that actually make a real difference to the user when you put them all together. People like to quote raw power and raw specs, but Apple actually builds something that is more than the sum of its parts.

Chips from IBM yesterday, Intel today, and who knows, maybe an AMD or NVidia chip tomorrow. Depends who innovates with their chip designs. Pretty simple principle, really. An overlooked piece of genius is the fact that Apple can actually move its OS between platforms and processors. Windows is pretty stuck.

Intel was happy to get Apple -- Apple didn't need to court them and say, "oh sorry about the teasing, we didn't really mean it." Judging by the Keynote when Ortellini made an appearance, Intel is happy that it can push the envelope and make new and interesting things for an innovative company. They are tired of pushing out the same old crap to box suppliers. Apple will push Intel, and everyone benefits.

However, Intel isn't competing well in the mobile device space -- Apple is looking to ARM for that. So there you go. Apple can diss Intel mobile chips and what's Intel gonna do, stop selling Apple millions of high-end desktop processors? You often compete with your suppliers -- Samsung makes phones, but Apple still uses Samsung as a supplier for RAM or screens or whatever.
post #132 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

It's not a trivial signal amount as is shown in dB's here with an app specifically written to test it ...

So now you are just repeating the same posts over and over again? OK, I'll repeat a summary of the truth.

See the post above from the guy whose iP4 doesn't drop signal from bridging the seam. See the reports all over from people saying the same, which are just as valid as the blog entry you reference. The signal drop from touching the antenna is a non-issue, as all the tests and reviews and analyses have shown. The signal drop from bridging the seam is only an issue on some iP4s, and there is no data on how many iP4s are affected (so no claims that it's most or half or almost none are valid), nor is the cause of this behavior publicly known at this time, nor does Apple's "letter" address the issue.

OK, carry on with your insane, mindless trolling.
post #133 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by krabbelen View Post

... But IBM hit a wall and started going in a different direction (servers or embedded chip designs or whatever). ...

More that they started going in a different direction than that they hit any sort of wall.

Quote:
... IBM yesterday, Intel today, who knows, maybe an AMD or NVidia chip tomorrow. Depends who innovates with their chip designs. Pretty simple principle, really. An overlooked piece of genius is the fact that Apple can actually move its OS between platforms and processors. Windows is pretty stuck. ...

I wonder how many A4s it would take to equal the performance of say a quad core i7 CPU?
post #134 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

More that they started going in a different direction than that they hit any sort of wall.

agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I wonder how many A4s it would take to equal the performance of say a quad core i7 CPU?

That would indeed be cool. Still, I didn't realize Core i7 was in Intel's mobile family of chips. If size, heat and power consumption don't matter, I guess you can use the highest performance chip for anything. And if you do stick it in a phone, I am sure there will be some geeks who will buy it. Thankfully, Apple does look at more than one spec when designing products.

More to my point though, I would imagine that Apple could diss a phone manufacturer all day long for putting a Core i7 in a phone (arguably the *wrong* chip for a phone) and still expect that Intel will be happy to sell them the i7 for MacPros. On the other hand, if Intel dissed Apple I could see Apple increasing its efforts to do more in-house (A4); or more to make itself less reliant in total upon Intel by moving toward chipsets by Nvidia rather than Intel (that may have happened already).

All this to say, I don't find it ironic or hypocritical that Apple fans warn of the consequences to Verizon of dissing Apple, while Apple for its own part has done a little dissing of its own and has dissed Intel, Windows and others. I'm not politically correct, so I don't feel the need to shout "unfair, you hypocrite" at the least little discovery of past instances of something so objectionable as good old fashioned dissing, without first weighing the quality, context, purpose and relative merits of the dissings in question. The politically correct seem to imagine that Apple should give Verizon every consideration simply because Apple has done a little dissing of its own in its own way at one time or another.

If it seems, on the balance of analysis, that Verizon rather looks like it is shooting itself in the foot, I would like to think someone could make that argument without others equating Verizon's dissing of Apple with Apple's dissing of Intel and dissing Apple for it. That Apple may dare to diss upon occasion is not in itself an argument that Verizon's dissing should escape all critique. On the contrary, to his credit Jobs is a superlative disser, and who doesn't love a good disser? To diss or not to diss, that is not the question. The question in this instance is whether your dissing will lose you a contract.

Is there a way I can measure the level of dis-interest in this post?
post #135 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by krabbelen View Post

... That would indeed be cool. Still, I didn't realize Core i7 was in Intel's mobile family of chips. If size, heat and power consumption don't matter, I guess you can use the highest performance chip for anything. And if you do stick it in a phone, I am sure there will be some geeks who will buy it. Thankfully, Apple does look at more than one spec when designing products.

More to my point though, I would imagine that Apple could diss a phone manufacturer all day long for putting a Core i7 in a phone (arguably the *wrong* chip for a phone) and still expect that Intel will be happy to sell them the i7 for MacPros. ...

Actually, I was thinking the other way around: the possibility and practicality of putting an array of A4s (or other "lightweight' processor) in a Mac.

(The i7 is not a mobile chip, at least not yet, I believe.)
post #136 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhammy View Post

You can't be serious! First, Jobs said to "not hold the phone that way." Are you kidding me? I should be able to hold my phone any way I'd like...with or without a "bumper." None of my Blackberry or Android devices has EVER had an attenuation problem that Jobs claims every device has. This is complete and utter BS on Apple's part to save face. They've put out a defective product and a massive recall at this point would be disastrous. But it would be the right thing to do.

I remember in 1999 when I had a flame thrower at Steve Jobs head and he told me not to hold it that way. THE CHEEK! I AM AN AMERICAN (not really), I CAN HOLD MY WEAPONS OF MASS APPLE CEO DESTRUCTION ANY WAY I WANT! He advised you dumb ass, it's not like he's holding you hand. The reason why you don't get problems on your Blackberry is because you never searched out the problem. I can replicate the problem on my iPod touch for crying out loud. Steve Jobs only mistake is giving a piece of advice, which of course made every single minded 'Apple is evil Big Brother' geeks replicate the problem so it boosted there ego knowing that Android will take us into a world of open source where nothing works, BUT WE ARE FREE AND OPEN!
post #137 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Gilling View Post

I remember in 1999 when I had a flame thrower at Steve Jobs head and he told me not to hold it that way. THE CHEEK! I AM AN AMERICAN (not really), I CAN HOLD MY WEAPONS OF MASS APPLE CEO DESTRUCTION ANY WAY I WANT! He advised you dumb ass, it's not like he's holding you hand. The reason why you don't get problems on your Blackberry is because you never searched out the problem. I can replicate the problem on my iPod touch for crying out loud. Steve Jobs only mistake is giving a piece of advice, which of course made every single minded 'Apple is evil Big Brother' geeks replicate the problem so it boosted there ego knowing that Android will take us into a world of open source where nothing works, BUT WE ARE FREE AND OPEN!

Well, maybe open, at least.
post #138 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

(The i7 is not a mobile chip, at least not yet, I believe.)

Yes, there is a mobile i7. What do you think Apple uses in the high end MacBook Pro?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #139 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

It's not a trivial signal amount as is shown in dB's here with an app specifically written to test it- http://www.tuaw.com/2010/07/06/video...ime-with-real/

Just the YouTube link- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCfyK...layer_embedded

With a bumper on 5 to 1 bars in 25 seconds- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUX1t...eature=related

And this is what Daniel Eran Dilger didn't include in his article here at AI on the Consumer Reports blog-

"While we've been unable to date to create the reported conditions in our National Testing Center in Yonkers, New York, I and a colleague did repeatedly experience loss of signal when using an iPhone 4 a few miles north of there today.

While in my home, I held the iPhone in my left hand, gripping it with normal pressure. My palm covered a gap between parts of the metal band that forms the outer ring of the iPhone and serves as its antenna. As I did so, I moved my pinky finger to the corresponding gap on the other side.

Almost immediately, the signal strength began to drop in the meter from the original three or four barsdepending on my location within the houseto zero bars. The drop took about 5 seconds.

Apple has admitted to problems with the metering on its iPhones, and there's some question about whether the drop in displayed signal is merely a metering issue, and whether call quality or the ability to place calls is affected.

In my informal tests today, however, the drop had a significant effect on both call success and quality. When the phone was in the low-signal state in my hand, calls placed to it from another cell phone (a Motorola Droid, running on Verizon's network) repeatedly failed.

And when I initiated a series of calls to editor Paul Reynolds, and then placed my pinky over the gap in the iPhone 4's band as I continued speaking, the calls consistently deteriorated. Paul first heard my voice breaking up, followed by static and the dropping of the call; again, the elapsed time from the placing of the pinky to the call being dropped was about 5 seconds.
~ http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ele...reports-s.html

Thank you for pointing out the Consumer Reports Blog update.

While I don't know the percentage of iPhone 4 owners actually experiencing problems, it should be clear by now that this isn't just a handful of units. And while there will always be people trolling with ridiculous accusations about Apple, that annoying fact should be irrelevant. Just ignore those trolls and instead take note of how many respected sources are describing their own real world problems with iPhone 4 reception. How many confirmations, how many videos of the problem will it take before it is acknowledged as an actual phenomenon?

People like me aren't trolling and aren't looking for an argument. Getting a rise out of Apple connoisseurs isn't the goal. Instead, we're simply pointing out that we have experienced the problem. It has a significant impact on how some people use their iPhone and it is only logical to discuss it in the news and on forums such as this.
post #140 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yes, there is a mobile i7. What do you think Apple uses in the high end MacBook Pro?

Ah, correct, slipped my mind.

EDIT: Although, that's not a quad core i7, which the original reference was to.
post #141 of 152
Me thinks Verizon should avoid throwing stones - for example, google verizon htc drop phone signal -iphone and read how the Incredible ain't so incredible.
post #142 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Of course side-by-side with my 3G the 4 gets BETTER actual calls - no dropping in the same place at the 3G and clearer to my ear. This is all consistent with both the Anandtech and Consumer Reports that this is all a wild goose chase. They both report that the iPhone 4 is better than its predecessors. Maybe not quite as good as the X but certainly not the problems that are being reported.

This is again another example of the bias of Internet reporting of problem where only those having problems speak out so there is no way to compare the true severity of the problem. Is this just problems with the typical 1% of and CE product (or whatever the real percentage is)? remember with over 2 MILLION sold already there will be 20,000 complainers at the 1% level which is far more than you could currently count by unique complaints. My guess is that one problem is simply the huge number of initial sales is create a lot (by number, not percentage) of purchasers with problems.

Bias on the internet? Steve Jobs told people they were holding their phone wrong. Your warped version of reality is simple: Your phone doesn't have issues, so obviously the people complaining about the issue AND HOW APPLE HANDLED IT are bias.lol
post #143 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What's worse is that Verizon is flat out lying and you're accepting it. To say that their phone won't ever lose signal if you hold your hand over the antenna is a flat out lie. By the laws of physics, the radio signal is absorbed by the human body. Even if the absorption is small, under some circumstance where your signal is marginal, even a small reduction in signal can result in a lost call.

And your acceptance of that statement without question indicates that you are incapable of discerning that kind of blatant falsehood - or that you know they're lying and will continue to attack Apple using facts that you know are false. Which is it?

Oh and I'M accepting it? What the hell are you talking about? When did I ever say that I fully believe this ad, or that their phone was immune to this stuff? You do know what a strawman argument is don't you? Well since clearly you don't, I'll explain it: It's when you set someone's "argument" up to be something it's not, then attack that. That's the strawman. What I in fact DID say is that people with these issues with the ip4 might respond positively to the ad.

I'll tell you what it is: It's the third option, which is you're trying to pick an argument with me because I'm unhappy with how poor ol appwel responded to this mess.

Good God man.
post #144 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Bias on the internet? Steve Jobs told people they were holding their phone wrong.

Well, if you're going to talk about bias, Steve Jobs never said people were "holding their phone wrong." Yet, you and others, are repeating this over and over again as if those were his actual words, rather than words that were stuffed into his mouth by interested and biased detractors. So, it's more than a bit dishonest to be be harping about bias when your every post demonstrates your own.
post #145 of 152
Hmmm, where have I seen "X" before as a product brand - ohh that's right Apple Mac OS X!
good job Verizon and Motorola for copy-catting Apple yet again. One could easily conclude that Verizon and Motorola wouldn't have any marketing ideas at all if it weren't for Apple.
post #146 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcarswell View Post

Bitter, party of a small few.

Donner, party of 50!

Uh, 47!

43!

38!

Anyone? Anyone?
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #147 of 152
MAY I POINT OUT THAT... this Droid's UI for calling looks veryyy similar to that of the iPhone when placing a call. VZW and others need the iPhone to figure out how the $@$$ to make a good phone UI. Conclusion: AT&T sucks, but VZW sucks just as much.
post #148 of 152
There will never be a Verizon iPhone.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #149 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, if you're going to talk about bias, Steve Jobs never said people were "holding their phone wrong." Yet, you and others, are repeating this over and over again as if those were his actual words, rather than words that were stuffed into his mouth by interested and biased detractors. So, it's more than a bit dishonest to be be harping about bias when your every post demonstrates your own.

Wow, you're right. He never said "you're holding it wrong" or anything like that. No, what he in fact said is "Just avoid holding it in that way." "Just avoid holding it in that way" means stop holding it in a way that is considered "wrong" since if it was correct, the issue would not arise. Yes, thank you for pointing out MY blatant bias, and showing me how what he said and how Apple handed it is in no way any excuse to be in any way upset with them and respond positively when seeing this ad.
post #150 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There are videos showing that doesnt work either. One even has the Bumper on and as soon as you cover that area the signal drops.

I've done my own controlled and repeatable tests and covering just the lower left corner with scotch tape works fine. Before there was a repeatable loss of bars which could be seen correlated on-off-on-off-on. After the effect was significantly reduced. Repeatably. It was not eliminated as the is certainly both conduction and capacitive coupling and the tape would only reduce conductive. But then all the phone will have some degree of capacitive shielding due to the saline in the human body.

Keep in mind that these effects have has zero impact on calling quality for me as th 4 is much better in all situations than the 3G.
post #151 of 152
Originally posted by Thomas Gilling:
I remember in 1999 when I had a flame thrower at Steve Jobs head and he told me not to hold it that way. THE CHEEK! I AM AN AMERICAN (not really), I CAN HOLD MY WEAPONS OF MASS APPLE CEO DESTRUCTION ANY WAY I WANT! He advised you dumb ass, it's not like he's holding you hand. The reason why you don't get problems on your Blackberry is because you never searched out the problem. I can replicate the problem on my iPod touch for crying out loud. Steve Jobs only mistake is giving a piece of advice, which of course made every single minded 'Apple is evil Big Brother' geeks replicate the problem so it boosted there ego knowing that Android will take us into a world of open source where nothing works, BUT WE ARE FREE AND OPEN!


My response:
calling other forum members a "dumb ass" is inappropriate. We all have the right to make our opinions known. I've noted all your other points (which, in my opinion are still wrong).

Respectfully.....

Oh, by the way, when has any other CEO even "advised" a user to hold their phone a different way just to MAKE IT WORK? lol.
post #152 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by physguy View Post

I've done my own controlled and repeatable tests and covering just the lower left corner with scotch tape works fine. Before there was a repeatable loss of bars which could be seen correlated on-off-on-off-on. After the effect was significantly reduced. Repeatably. It was not eliminated as the is certainly both conduction and capacitive coupling and the tape would only reduce conductive. But then all the phone will have some degree of capacitive shielding due to the saline in the human body.

Keep in mind that these effects have has zero impact on calling quality for me as th 4 is much better in all situations than the 3G.

I tried that at my home which inside just catches a signal and the signal still dropped off completely but that was from an already very low 1 or 2 bars on Edge that could drop out unexpectedly even when it is just sitting on the desk. If I'd have tried it in a stronger area, I can well believe it would have prevented a lot of signal loss.

Today I got a replacement phone from my carrier, it has behaved exactly like my old one as far as reception "death grip" etc. But today I also got an Apple bumper, which I'm extremely pleased with. I prefer the feel, it feels less likely to drop out of your hand, it seems very well made, looks good and is light. First case I will keep on gladly. Another added bonus is that the mute button is now more recessed which prevents it from ever switching itself accidentally.

My reception problems have all but vanished, the most drop I have detected is one bar and nothing almost everywhere else. My house is a slightly different story (2 feet thick stone walls) and given that, it's only just getting reception. Unfortunately holding the phone cupped in my palm I'll often lose signal to "no service" but like I say, it's almost at no reception inside anyway. Outside without the case I would go from 5 bars to 1 or "no service" very quickly without a case, now I might be dropping 1 bar sometimes, but most of the time on full bars. Whatever difference is very minimal.

I think Apple should have given free bumpers to people and they'd be smelling better right now.

One thing though is my accessories (battery pack, car kit and small radio transmitter) now don't work with the case on.
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

Reply
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon mocks Apple's iPhone 4 antenna issue with full-page NYT ad