or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T not throttling iPhone 4 upload bandwidth
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AT&T not throttling iPhone 4 upload bandwidth - Page 2

post #41 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by milan03 View Post

Tell that to hundreds of att users that expressed themselves on this topic. If this wasnt discussed on macrumors forum, we wouldnt have respectable sites like Engadget, Gizmodo, Tuaw, 9to5mac picking the story up and talking on this issue, and making some positive actions by contacting att and requesting the official statement.
Maybe you see it only as a forum nonsense, maybe that is how you want it to be, but the fact of the matter is that power of internet is much greater, and thanks to those sites, we may get some positive outcome pretty soon.

Melgross is experiencing it, too. The problem is your implied malfeasance by AT&T without a consideration of it being an accident, or some other occurrence.

Thats the problem with the internet. Even a pin drop can echo so loud and so long that you think its the the only thing that ever made a sound. Step out and look at the big picture.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #42 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by milan03 View Post

Tell that to hundreds of att users that expressed themselves on this topic. If this wasnt discussed on macrumors forum, we wouldnt have respectable sites like Engadget, Gizmodo, Tuaw, 9to5mac picking the story up and talking on this issue, and making some positive actions by contacting att and requesting the official statement.
Maybe you see it only as a forum nonsense, maybe that is how you want it to be, but the fact of the matter is that power of internet is much greater, and thanks to those sites, we may get some positive outcome pretty soon.

You entirely missed the point I made.
post #43 of 95
The accident or not, we are paying our bill and as end users, and contractualy tied with ATT, and we can certainly speak our mind if we feel that somethign isn't right.
I'm not sure if I missed your point or you missed mine, but I never claimed that att is purposely capping the speeds. I said that they are capping them. I don't care what is the problem, but until they come out and first of all acknowledge that there is an issue, then give us the time frame, I am an unhappy customer, and experiencing upload speed throttling at 100kbs 24/7 for the last 5 days.

Simple as that.
post #44 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

LOL Thats pretty funny. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks! I had to check why I'm getting EDGE speeds when my display shows I have a 3G connection. Another software "glitch"?

I think I'm going to test drive the Evo and/or the Droid X (ETA July 15th).

In the mean time I'm going to make some pop corn and have some fun following this thread.
post #45 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's far worse than usual. Some of the worst delays have seen the best speeds, and visa versa. Really odd all around.

I just tried again, and got latency of 3341, download of 776, and upload of 55.

Now I used a server from Philly, and got a latency of 2364, download of 974, and upload of 34.

Those upload numbers are so low, that there's got to be a major bottleneck somewhere.

Just for the heck of it, I used a server from Toronto. I got a DOWNLOAD of 72, but an upload of 136. What does THAT mean?

Now to dinner.


According to apple, you are holding it wrong or are in a low service area. Ohhh I like this icon:

What does the apple store say? Did they resolve your problem? Please stop making up stuff or post some proof please. KTHX MOEW!
post #46 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by plovell View Post

It maybe true that although the NOC folks are there over the holiday weekend, the coders are not. No surprise.

But who then is the dork who approved deployment of new software on the Friday before a holiday weekend??

That is just plain stupid.

Well there is little doubt what you do for a living. 24/7 ball and chain. Been there. Come to think of it, still there.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #47 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meh View Post

Thanks! I had to check why I'm getting EDGE speeds when my display shows I have a 3G connection. Another software "glitch"?

I think I'm going to test drive the Evo and/or the Droid X (ETA July 15th).

In the mean time I'm going to make some pop corn and have some fun following this thread.


I only got edge speeds with a 3G icon on ATT. I'm not going into many details but a year or so of fighting with them.

I even asked if they have a speed test server, even though I know that it won't be 100% accurate, and they said NO WE DON'T HAVE ONE. I was just asking, as an engineer, about their methodology for speed problems.

ATT DSL services has a speed test server FWIW. I had to cancel that.

Meh, you might be better off with an Evo if you like a city carrier, or a Droid X for much better coverage, especially driving or in rural areas. Don't forget the Incredible, which is simply incredible, or the Moto Droid, which has a LOT of development behind it!

But let's not get way off topic. Let's try to focus on the ATT issues over this weekend.
post #48 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You're assuming that this is affecting everyone, everywhere. This isn't the case. It's sporadic.

I just did my own test again. I went back to Optima Online, the NYC server. Last time, with them, I got absurd times. This time I got 974 download, and 125 upload. The upload is still low, but several times higher than before, and the download is almost 20 times faster.

So there is some problem here, but it also is dependent on the local server being used. With Speedtest, I find that choosing different servers gives me different speeds, sometimes several times as much. That's not AT&T's fault. Certainly not in the sense of something deliberately applied to the network.

As Mods, we have nothing to do with the reportage. Apparently, someone was spoken to about this, as the info was specific.

Check the spreadsheet of speeds at the end of the article from Wired. Look at 7/3, 7/4, and 7/5 compared to dates prior. Certainly doesn't look sporadic to me.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/...le+Feedfetcher
post #49 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by milan03 View Post

Whatever it is, the speeds ARE capped at 100kbps.

No, they're not. 'Capped' implies an intentional limit. As it is, the fact that SOME people in SOME cities get less than that doesn't tell you much of anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milan03 View Post

Seriously, you should read the whole post on macrumors forums before assuming that i think that everyone is affected.
AGAIN, there is a list with over 30 markets that is affected with upload speed issue. So, read the whole thing, then make the conclusion. There are about 350 posts on this issue, please do some reading, and inform yourself.

Sorry, I'm in one of the 'affected' markets. 1215 kbps up, 735 kbps down. It's not a universal problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milan03 View Post

Tell that to hundreds of att users that expressed themselves on this topic.

350 posts.

Of the 350:

20 - people experiencing a problem (actually, more like 5 people reporting a problem 4 times each)
120 - people saying "I don't have a problem"
90 - people saying AT&T sucks - on general principles
110 - people saying that real men use Android phones
10 - people who write mindless anti-Apple posts simply because it's a Mac forum

Besides, even if all 350 were unique, AT&T has something like 60 million customers. At any one time, I'm sure that there are thousands of people who have problems for one reason or another.


Quote:
Originally Posted by opmisk View Post

Check the spreadsheet of speeds at the end of the article from Wired. Look at 7/3, 7/4, and 7/5 compared to dates prior. Certainly doesn't look sporadic to me.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/...le+Feedfetcher

You might want to learn a little bit about statistics and random events before making a big deal about one phone with a dozen data points. Out of the 2 million AT&T iPhones, you can probably find one with almost any pattern you wish. Heck, I'm sure there are iPhones that have never gone below 2 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up over that time frame. Does that mean that EVERYONE gets the same results?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #50 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

No, they're not. 'Capped' implies an intentional limit. As it is, the fact that SOME people in SOME cities get less than that doesn't tell you much of anything.



Sorry, I'm in one of the 'affected' markets. 1215 kbps up, 735 kbps down. It's not a universal problem.



350 posts.

Of the 350:

20 - people experiencing a problem (actually, more like 5 people reporting a problem 4 times each)
120 - people saying "I don't have a problem"
90 - people saying AT&T sucks - on general principles
110 - people saying that real men use Android phones
10 - people who write mindless anti-Apple posts simply because it's a Mac forum

Besides, even if all 350 were unique, AT&T has something like 60 million customers. At any one time, I'm sure that there are thousands of people who have problems for one reason or another.

Im not getting your point. At all. Are you happy that customers are getting 100kbps for the past 5 days? Or what exactly is it? Also I didnt get your area. I could claim that I'm from LA and getting capped but that would be a lie.

And just to clarify something... When you connection is at 100kbps constantly, and you see in the speedtest how your upload starts at about 800kbps, then by the end of the test drops to about 80kbps, you realize that the soft cap has to be put on those markets. Now I'm not trying to get into the reason why they've done it, if they are upgradin, having outages, or something else, but the fact of the matter is that our upload is maxing out at about 100kbps 24/7. Tested it on my unlimited plan, my friends's metered plan, metered + tethering plan, iPad, etc... Not trying to flame here, but where did you guys get the info that AT&T is not throttling the speeds down for selected markets? Just curious..
post #51 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

No, they're not. 'Capped' implies an intentional limit. As it is, the fact that SOME people in SOME cities get less than that doesn't tell you much of anything.



Sorry, I'm in one of the 'affected' markets. 1215 kbps up, 735 kbps down. It's not a universal problem.



350 posts.

Of the 350:

20 - people experiencing a problem (actually, more like 5 people reporting a problem 4 times each)
120 - people saying "I don't have a problem"
90 - people saying AT&T sucks - on general principles
110 - people saying that real men use Android phones
10 - people who write mindless anti-Apple posts simply because it's a Mac forum

Besides, even if all 350 were unique, AT&T has something like 60 million customers. At any one time, I'm sure that there are thousands of people who have problems for one reason or another.




You might want to learn a little bit about statistics and random events before making a big deal about one phone with a dozen data points. Out of the 2 million AT&T iPhones, you can probably find one with almost any pattern you wish. Heck, I'm sure there are iPhones that have never gone below 2 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up over that time frame. Does that mean that EVERYONE gets the same results?

Just as you obviously didn't read the macForums link, you certainly didn't hit the Wired link. Try it again bro, and this time, when you examine the spreadsheet, tell me you don't see a pattern in EVERY city listed for the days following July 2nd ( that would be 7/3, 7/4, and 7/5, if you're having trouble following ).

And, since you're obviously qualified to weed out who the 'data experts' are, I'm sure you'd be more than happy to explain the apparent pattern.

Additionally, I've not had a single upload speed over 100 kbps since 7/2. That is 'throttling'.
post #52 of 95
This doesn't make sense at all. I'm getting 1.10 Mbps down and 0.78 up on my Droid Incredible in Albany, NY on Verizon. I'd be interested in seeing what AT&T customers are getting in this area. This is a little slower than normal both up and down at this time of night.
post #53 of 95
I'm sure you "experts" are not helping by running speed tests. You're only making things worse! AT&T's network is overloaded as it is. Let AT&T fix the issue and let's see what excuse they give.
post #54 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by milan03 View Post

Im not getting your point. At all. Are you happy that customers are getting 100kbps for the past 5 days? Or what exactly is it? Also I didnt get your area. I could claim that I'm from LA and getting capped but that would be a lie.

The point is that you are looking at a very small number of data points out of tens of millions of users. AND, those data points are self-selected.

Why not wait for real facts and evidence rather than the self-selected complaints from a few people who are having problems?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #55 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The point is that you are looking at a very small number of data points out of tens of millions of users. AND, those data points are self-selected.

Why not wait for real facts and evidence rather than the self-selected complaints from a few people who are having problems?

Well, with your posts titled AT&T NOT thottling speeds, we might have to wait till the next iPhone release to get this problem solved. You're are helping, clearly...
post #56 of 95
It's not just iPhone 4, and it's not just upload speeds. I'm experiencing the same issues on an iPhone 3G, and I suspect everyone is seeing some degradation in download speed too.

I've been getting less than ~150kbps down and less than 100kbps up (typically much less.)
post #57 of 95
Something seems to be going on.

Could it be that AT&T has discovered that the poor transmission capability of iPhone 4 is harming the 3G network when it tries to upload fast, and they are capping to limit the damage?

Suppose I'll also add that I think it could just be an accidental throttle. But it certainly looks like a throttle of some kind, with numerous devices (but apparently not all?) in widely dispersed areas suddenly hitting the same number, starting at the same time.
post #58 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amdahl View Post

Something seems to be going on.

Could it be that AT&T has discovered that the poor transmission capability of iPhone 4 is harming the 3G network when it tries to upload fast, and they are capping to limit the damage?

Negative.
post #59 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by milan03 View Post

The accident or not, we are paying our bill and as end users, and contractualy tied with ATT, and we can certainly speak our mind if we feel that somethign isn't right.
I'm not sure if I missed your point or you missed mine, but I never claimed that att is purposely capping the speeds. I said that they are capping them. I don't care what is the problem, but until they come out and first of all acknowledge that there is an issue, then give us the time frame, I am an unhappy customer, and experiencing upload speed throttling at 100kbs 24/7 for the last 5 days.

Simple as that.

When you say that a company is "capping" speeds, that strongly implies that it is a deliberate action. I believe you know that, and are now dissembling.

The point it that it's not likely that this is intentional. There is no reason why AT&T would do this after so publicly enabling HSUPA.

Will they acknowledge this? I hope so. Will they fix it? I would expect so. But it's better than having service go out entirely.
post #60 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amdahl View Post

Something seems to be going on.

Could it be that AT&T has discovered that the poor transmission capability of iPhone 4 is harming the 3G network when it tries to upload fast, and they are capping to limit the damage?

I'm having a hard time understanding why people are trying so hard to make this an iPhone 4 issue. This is happening to other devices too. I personally am experiencing it on an iPhone 3G, and it has been reported for android users and iPad too. You can't chalk it up to just the iPhone 4, just iOS 4, etc.
post #61 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meh View Post

Thanks! I had to check why I'm getting EDGE speeds when my display shows I have a 3G connection. Another software "glitch"?

I think I'm going to test drive the Evo and/or the Droid X (ETA July 15th).

In the mean time I'm going to make some pop corn and have some fun following this thread.

Don't go to the EVO. In order to get a halfway useful battery life, you're going to have to turn 4G, 3G, WiFi and Bluetooth off. Doesn't leave much. It also has a terrible screen.
post #62 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOEW View Post

According to apple, you are holding it wrong or are in a low service area. Ohhh I like this icon:

What does the apple store say? Did they resolve your problem? Please stop making up stuff or post some proof please. KTHX MOEW!

You don't know what you're talking about, or you don't read carefully. I said I still am using my 3G. I also tested this on my iPad.

I know you think it's a funny joke, but it just makes you seem silly.

And if you're going to insult me by accusing me of lying, you won't last long.
post #63 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by opmisk View Post

Check the spreadsheet of speeds at the end of the article from Wired. Look at 7/3, 7/4, and 7/5 compared to dates prior. Certainly doesn't look sporadic to me.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/...le+Feedfetcher

Sporadic in that not everyone is seeing this problem. Sol showed a short while ago that he isn't having the problem at all, for instance. Mine has bounced from between 40 to 140 in the same day. Mostly below 100 to be sure, but not always.
post #64 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

I'm having a hard time understanding why people are trying so hard to make this an iPhone 4 issue. This is happening to other devices too. I personally am experiencing it on an iPhone 3G, and it has been reported for android users and iPad too. You can't chalk it up to just the iPhone 4, just iOS 4, etc.

Ah.. Then if it is intentional, it is probably a result of AT&T trying to favor download speed performance over upload speeds. However, 100kbps is probably a little bit too low. 100kbps generally implies you don't expect downloads over approximately 2000kbps.
post #65 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

It's not just iPhone 4, and it's not just upload speeds. I'm experiencing the same issues on an iPhone 3G, and I suspect everyone is seeing some degradation in download speed too.

I've been getting less than ~150kbps down and less than 100kbps up (typically much less.)

My download speeds are varying wildly. I just tried it twice. first time, I got 1868 down, and 94 up. Second time, I got 978 down, and 103 up.

This is using Optima Online NY server as the point.
post #66 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amdahl View Post

Something seems to be going on.

Could it be that AT&T has discovered that the poor transmission capability of iPhone 4 is harming the 3G network when it tries to upload fast, and they are capping to limit the damage?

Suppose I'll also add that I think it could just be an accidental throttle. But it certainly looks like a throttle of some kind, with numerous devices (but apparently not all?) in widely dispersed areas suddenly hitting the same number, starting at the same time.

We're not all using the iPhone 4.
post #67 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

My download speeds are varying wildly. I just tried it twice. first time, I got 1868 down, and 94 up. Second time, I got 978 down, and 103 up.

This is using Optima Online NY server as the point.

Yes, download speeds can vary greatly when the upload is overly constricted. It prevents the TCP ACK packets from getting back to the other host. A dropped ACK packet is no different than a dropped data packet. As far as the other end is concerned, you never got it, because you never confirmed it. The result: It slows down sending.

Hmm.. I wonder if the throttle point isn't 100kbps, but a per packet rate? Maybe that is why some speed tests show 100kbps, and the other one is 200 or 250kbps. They set the per packet rate to be equal to the 100kbps divided by the maximum packet size.
post #68 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amdahl View Post

Yes, download speeds can vary greatly when the upload is overly constricted. It prevents the TCP ACK packets from getting back to the other host. A dropped ACK packet is no different than a dropped data packet. As far as the other end is concerned, you never got it, because you never confirmed it. The result: It slows down sending.

Of course, All data networks do something similar.

But that doesn't explain why download speeds can be so high one time, and much less another, unless something is causing packets to get lost or re-routed. I've gotten downloads today as low as 250, from my regular server, and as high as 2150, while the upload speeds were almost the same, and pretty low.

In the past, I've gotten download speeds about as low, while upload speeds were in the 400 range.
post #69 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Of course, All data networks do something similar.

But that doesn't explain why download speeds can be so high one time, and much less another, unless something is causing packets to get lost or re-routed. I've gotten downloads today as low as 250, from my regular server, and as high as 2150, while the upload speeds were almost the same, and pretty low.

In the past, I've gotten download speeds about as low, while upload speeds were in the 400 range.

What have the latency numbers been? If they are elevated (and I know I see a lot of what I would call lunar-high numbers on some people's tests) it can amplify the effect of packet loss, because odds are that you do not have a TCP Receive Window that is large enough to accommodate your 'hoped for' download speed and the latency.

We don't know how this theorized cap is implemented. Is it an IP level thing, or is it at the cellular/3G level?
post #70 of 95
I'd really like to hear some good news or Positive news about AT&T. Its just unreal how they keep shooting themselves in the foot. And the sad part is that all the Iphone customers in the U.S. have to suffer for their mistakes.
post #71 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Of course, All data networks do something similar.

But that doesn't explain why download speeds can be so high one time, and much less another, unless something is causing packets to get lost or re-routed. I've gotten downloads today as low as 250, from my regular server, and as high as 2150, while the upload speeds were almost the same, and pretty low.

In the past, I've gotten download speeds about as low, while upload speeds were in the 400 range.

It's the upload that causes even download speed to underperform, as well as latency. It's something that isn't in favor of the regular tax payers. If they are working on something, that doesnt mean that the network incidentaly throttled itself to 100kbps. It means human came out with this number in order to offload the plants if they are doing a meaintenance for instance. THAT STILL MEANS THAT IF WE SEE THE UPLOAD BEING PULLED DOWN TO UNDER 100kbps THAT OUR SPEEDS ARE GETTING CAPPED.
Why, I expect ATT to answer that, but there isnt a single proof that this is done by noone else but ATT. duh.....
And I'm still waiting to see where did you guys get the "intel" confirming that ATT is NOT throttling the upload, as your front page topic claims.

Thanks for your clarification.
post #72 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Before going off half-cocked why not wait for some real information to emerge. I know it's the new nerd mantra to bash at&t but you will be depressed and suicidal if you actually think at&t will lose all of its iPhone customers, or even a significant percentage. Not going to happen. Just as the antenna issue is over hyped hysteria by a vocal minority so is this. You won't even get the trolls to agree. They'll swear it's the iPhone doing this and not at&t.

I'm having no problems with upload speeds in my EDGE-only area. There, happy now?
post #73 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPaladin;

I'm having no problems with upload speeds in my EDGE-only area. There, happy now?

Funny. I'm in the same boat. I WISH I had these problems for almost a week (do I hear Class Action Lawsuit? Anyone?). Try a couple of years of being neglected in a rural town. Puts things into perspective.
post #74 of 95
a lot of iphone 3gs users are completely losing data access with the iOS 4 update.

this too? and antenna "software issues"?

apple, TEST YOUR SOFTWARE!
post #75 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ok, stop the trolling, or you're out.

Don't argue with emotional ignorant trolls, it just detracts from the otherwise interesting and positive discussions on AI. Please do us all a favor and don't roll in the mud with the pigs cause the pigs like it.
post #76 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoozz View Post

Don't argue with emotional ignorant trolls, it just detracts from the otherwise interesting and positive discussions on AI. Please do us all a favor and don't roll in the mud with the pigs cause the pigs like it.


You must be new...
post #77 of 95
More BS, I'm uploading at 1.6 mbps over 3G in mid, Coastal, NJ

Edit: How I do post a screen shot of my speedtest on my iPhone here?
post #78 of 95
Ok, wtf, suddenly I'm not getting the upload speeds I've been getting for 2 weeks!

now i'm getting 100 kbps instead of 1.6 mbps.............?
post #79 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If it was a simple matter of artificial throttling then this should easily be done to affect all phones on all networks with essentially the flip of a switch. The idea that you think companies ever willingly come clean about a boondoggle they created means you aren’t experienced with the world and therefore likely very young.

How is it I am the only one with this magic iPhone? Note: These speeds up and down are well below what they were this morning and days prior, but it 6pm here.

(click for larger image)
PS: The two fastest download and upload speeds are when I touched my iPhone 4 in the 3G-Spot. Go figure!

You might be in an area with good coverage... err no, sorry I... how can you have an good iPhone. It's from a company who is evil and shows nothing but contempt for there customers. Buy Androids it's got Ehunixs-like kernel and a terminal.... oh terminal how we used to be together, me and you we 'apt-get' on Debian while the sun went down.
post #80 of 95
Unreal, look at the trend of speeds, and where upload suddenly tanks the last few days.....

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T not throttling iPhone 4 upload bandwidth