or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Uncertainty - The New Drinking Game
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Uncertainty - The New Drinking Game

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
I'm going to propose a drinking game. Everyone should take a shot every time the word "uncertainty" is used to explain away the fact that no one appears willing to hire due to the rather insane policies of the Obama administration.

Uncertainty is one of those nice words the pundit class uses when they want to passively address the problem without just outright calling the Obama administration a massive job killing machine. Much like how people won't say politicians are lying, merely that they are being disingenuous, we are going to be fed the line that it isn't the fact that Obama extorts money from certain companies or cheats bondholders in another that kills jobs outright, rather it merely creates "uncertainty" and thus companies aren't hiring.

Obama is suing his states claiming they are infringing on federal obligations while at the same time warning citizens of the dangers associated with the fact that the federal government has forsaken their obligation.


Quote:
DANGER - PUBLIC WARNING, TRAVEL NOT RECOMMENDED

* Active Drug and Human Smuggling Area

* Visitors May Encounter Armed Criminals and Smuggling Vehicles Traveling at High Rates of Speed

* Stay Away From Trash, Clothing, Backpacks and Abandoned Vehicles

* If You See Suspicious Activity, Do Not Confront! Move away and call 911

Make sure you when you see that suspicious activity and call 911, that they don't ask for the parties reported for any paperwork or else you and the authorities called are of course racists.

Obama's agenda is so radical that the only bipartisan support has been in opposition to it and members of his own party are so worried about losses both of votes and fiscal support that they haven't been able to pursue additional tenants of it besides massive spending, and health care. This has lead to new "uncertainty" created by Obama executive orders and these orders are increasingly being overturned by federal judges.

Democrats lose Wall Street Big Donors

Quote:
A revolt among big donors on Wall Street is hurting fundraising for the Democrats' two congressional campaign committees, with contributions from the world's financial capital down 65 percent from two years ago.

Judge Blocks Obama Order at Yucca Mountain

Quote:
Three administrative judges within the Nuclear Regulatory Commission ruled last week that President Barack Obama and Department of Energy Secretary Steven Chu don't have the authority to close the controversial site unilaterally. That can only be accomplished, the judges said, by an act of Congress.

Judge halts Obama drilling ban.

Quote:
A federal judge in New Orleans halted President Obama's deepwater drilling moratorium on Tuesday, saying the government never justified the ban and appeared to mislead the public in the wake of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.

Judge Martin L.C. Feldman issued an injunction, saying that the moratorium will hurt drilling-rig operators and suppliers and that the government has not proved an outright ban is needed, rather than a more limited moratorium.

He also said the Interior Department also misstated the opinion of the experts it consulted. Those experts from the National Academy of Engineering have said they don't support the blanket ban.

Add to this the 20 states suing the Federal government over health care matters and we grow to understand that hope+change= I'll see you in court.

Quote:
Calling it an "unprecedented exercise of congressional power," Parnell said Alaska would follow the other states in challenging the constitutionality of the mandate that people buy health care insurance or pay a fine.

"For the first time we now have a federal government dictating our economic activity," Parnell said. "Alaska will use the courts to fight this federal encroachment on our citizens."

People are even catching on to the "uncertainty" in labor participation rate numbers that show quite the interesting trend.



See people who don't participate in the labor market can't be unemployed. They are just choosing not to seek work and under Obama's policies, apparently more people are choosing not to work than ever before.

If they were choosing to participate, well then the unemployment rate would be up around 12%.

Just remember though, it isn't really 12%. Instead it is only 9.5% because of "uncertainty" and how it is affecting the markets. Uncertainty means that some people are simply choosing not to work nor even seek work. Other businesses are not hiring due to "uncertainty" but if you were to not the uncertainty is the Obama administration changing the rules and rates at any point, then you might just be a racist per the made up polls of Research 2000 which would show that only southern white males and their dog whistles think this way.

In the meantime, we can find every instance where a judge has overturned an arbitrary Obama administration action or a report that blames bad news on uncertainty and can drink so hard we forget the national debt hitting a new historic high.

Quote:
The national debt will make up 62 percent of the U.S. economy by the end of the year, the highest percentage since the end of World War II, according to a report released Wednesday by the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office.

Here's to you!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #2 of 29
I've got a better one: we take a shot of heroin every time there's an irrational extremist right-wing nonsensical knee-jer re....aghh......I'm....de...a......d......

uff
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #3 of 29
Thread Starter 
Drink mother fucker drink.

Quote:
There is a remarkably testy debate going on about the tension between the desire for a coherent fiscal policy and the anemic recovery of the global economy. The most abrasive voice is that of economist Paul Krugman, who has been attacking German policymakers for addressing their fiscal deficits, loudly insisting on the need for more stimulus in the U.S. and labeling everyone who disagrees with him asinine. There was a lot of debate at the recent G-20 meetings but no support for the Obama administration's view that fiscal sustainability should be a "medium-term" goal (whatever that means) and that they should not abandon stimulus at a time when the recovery is fragile.

See there is a debate between what the money is being spent on and the fact that what was claimed would happen has completely failed to materialize. The debate is testy because people don't like being called names when they notice the claims about what would happen with the spending haven't actually materialized.

Remember the word for this.... it is UNCERTAINTY. When you declare that spending $787+ billion dollars will improve the economy and it doesn't improve the economy it doesn't mean the spending was wrong, it just means there is.... UNCERTAINTY.

Quote:
Every sentient being knows that the U.S. faces serious fiscal problems, but there is a lot of uncertainty about how extensive they are. ..............There is also a lot of uncertainty about the extent of underfunded pension liabilities and the impact they will have because they do not typically show up on budgets.

The highest level of debt to GDP ever is normally might be cause for alarm but in this case it isn't because...highest level in history is just such an.... UNCERTAIN term. We can't really understand or know what that means apparently because highest level in history just isn't well defined or understood as a term.

Likewise the fact that the federal government has massive obligations for Social Security and Medicare at levels that any private enterprise would be declared bankrupt for owing and also the fact that they aren't funding their pensions leads to issues that are UNCERTAIN and that we can't understand.

Most people would say they really can understand them and that when government takes money to pay for things but instead steals it and redistributes it to buy votes that this is theft and wrong this is a bad thing. However we now know that these folks really DON'T understand are really just greedy, racist, ignorant liars. Also per Paul Krugman they are asinine for thinking such things.

Remember not funding pensions and not having the money to pay them can't be declared a bad thing. It is only an uncertain thing because we can't really know the IMPACT of not funding or paying these things. Again many of you might say that you can know the impact of not funding or paying pensions but just remember, when you think that, you are asinine, greedy, racist, ignorant liars.

Quote:
Everyone knows there is a problem but not what the solutions are going to be.

Everyone knows... well then it must be a consensus, unless of course you are are AGRIL. (asinine, greedy, racist, ignorant liars.) Some of these AGRILs might even think they remember those stimulus and bailout measures were the solutions but clearly they are just remembering wrong and are making up stuff because they like their dog whistles and are worried about where Obama was born. The stimulus and bailouts were not the answers or solutions. If you thought that then you are remembering wrong.

Quote:
The Bureau of Economic Analysis reports that U.S. corporations are sitting on $1.6 trillion in cash reserves, a record amount, because they are reluctant to expand in the uncertain policy environment. Even looking at the companies in the Standard & Poor's 500 index of blue chips--and stripping out financials, which are required by regulators to keep large cash reserves in order to cushion against risk--the cash-on-hand number is a whopping $1.1 trillion. Would a more transparent, business-friendly environment turn that cash into investment and jobs?

The corporations out there have money they could hire people with and yet they aren't doing so. We could ask if the environment changed if that they are doing with the money might change. We could ask that but why do that when the answers would merely be so.... UNCERTAIN.

You could declare that you aren't uncertain and in fact are certain about what would bring about this change, but you are mistaken. You must be UNCERTAIN because the only certain people are AGRILS.

Here is a pretty picture.



Quote:
The more optimistic picture is one in which taxes increase sharply, health care costs are brought under control and spending is somewhat constrained. It still implies higher long-term levels of debt than we have experienced for the last 40 years. The other picture is one where we look like Japan. It is pretty sobering.

The better line is one in which the government takes all the remaining money of these AGRILS and uses it to make things better. The worse line is the one in which the continue to spend but don't steal the money and that is very bad of course.

There is no line where the spending is cut or does more than be somewhat constrained. We aren't certain of much in this age of uncertainty, but we are certain such a choice cannot be made. The only people who would think about such a choice are those damn AGRILS.



DRINK, DRINK, DRINK!!!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #4 of 29
Can we also use the word "unexpected" in this drinking game? I believe I've seen that word used in almost every bit of (negative) economic news in the past 2 years.

So if everything is so uncertain (and unexpected) why is it that we ought to trust these people to "run" the economy?

This would also be so hilarious if it wasn't all so frightening.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #5 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Can we also use the word "unexpected" in this drinking game?

Any Drinking Game based on idiot Obama's disaster of an economy can't use the word "unexpected" since we all know any action from the White House is destined to damage the nation. We expect Obama to hurt America; nothing unexpected about it!!!
post #6 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

Any Drinking Game based on idiot Obama's disaster of an economy can't use the word "unexpected" since we all know any action from the White House is destined to damage the nation. We expect Obama to hurt America; nothing unexpected about it!!!

True enough. But I think the point is that when the media reports it, all pieces of bad news seem to be "unexpected."

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #7 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Can we also use the word "unexpected" in this drinking game? I believe I've seen that word used in almost every bit of (negative) economic news in the past 2 years.

So if everything is so uncertain (and unexpected) why is it that we ought to trust these people to "run" the economy?

This would also be so hilarious if it wasn't all so frightening.

I suggest that you feel free to use that and also note any other wonderful spin words here. The more the merrier.

Time for the daily dose of.... UNCERTAINTY.


Today's dose and double shot rationale comes from the Dallas Federal Reserve president.

Quote:
We need clarity," said Fisher. "My background [in business] tells me that you cant eliminate uncertainty, but you have to reduce it as much as possible.

Questions about healthcare expenses, for instance, have kept businesses from hiring new workers, said Fisher, because executives don't know how much it will cost them. Businesses also have concerns about other costs, such as whether a VAT [value-added tax] will be imposed.

"How do you cost a worker?" Fisher said. "Lets say you run a delivery-truck system. Whats the price of a new delivery-truck driver? You dont [know]. So how, as the CFO, do you go to your CEO or the board and say, 'I need to budget a new workforce.' And they say: 'What's it going to cost us?' And you say, 'I cant tell you the answer.' "

Of course we are talking about a Congress that rather than engage in the budget process that uses a five year timeline, decided they would "deem" the spending for the year passed. This bit summarizes the matter nicely.

Quote:
Never before -- since the creation of the Congressional budget process -- has the House failed to pass a budget, failed to propose a budget then deemed the non-existent budget as passed as a means to avoid a direct, recorded vote on a budget, but still allow Congress to spend taxpayer money.

The politics of this is laid bare right there. You can't be condemned or on record for votes that didn't happen. The country has no budget and presidential double-speak while shaking down companies and labeling anyone who disagrees as an AGRIL isn't leadership. All of this lack of leadership and lying creates a lot of ......wait for it.... uncertainty.

People should call the uncertainty what it reflects, lack of leadership and lack of proper governing. Until that changes though we can still....DRINK.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #8 of 29
Lunatics guard asylum doors
Empty vessels scream and talk
All medicine is ineffective.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #9 of 29
There's certainly much less "uncertainty" about the effectiveness of tax cuts as an economic stimulus, given the dismal economic condition in which those dedicated tax-cutters in the Bush administration left the nation.
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
post #10 of 29
Thread Starter 
How come it is never the dedicated spenders who leave the nation in a bad spot?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

How come it is never the dedicated spenders who leave the nation in a bad spot?

I take it you're ignoring BH Obama intentionally?
post #12 of 29
Thread Starter 
Nope. Uncertainy is the word being used to ignore BHO and the Congress.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #13 of 29
Thread Starter 
Another day, another round of UNCERTAINTY. Wouldn't it be nice if people just stopped using this word, and started being forthright about what this Congress and this administration is doing to our country? With millions too discouraged to even look for work anymore, isn't it time to stop being polite? The left will destroy cars, shops and engage in outright theft at the G20 and will riot when they don't like a court verdict but of course it is the right they always point their finger out as the ominous and scary ones for doing things like... having grandma hold a placard calling Obama a socialist.

Enough of that though because it is time to note the daily destruction hidden with the politeness.


Quote:
But change that is too arbitrary and too frequent petrifies firms, especially before their rules have been tested in the courts. As Verizon Communications chief executive Ivan Seidenberg noted recently in a Business Roundtable speech: "By reaching into virtually every sector of economic life, government is injecting uncertainty into the marketplace and making it harder to raise capital and create new businesses."

This analysis echoes those of Depression-era entrepreneurs. In 1938 Lammot du Pont, head of the eponymous chemical concern, spoke of a "fog of uncertainty" slowing business and noted in the company's annual report that arbitrary government always slowed business down: "by land and sea the universal practice under conditions of fog is to slacken speed."

What about the old spend-or-save debate? The evidence suggests that easier money did indeed help end this second slump. But a larger factor was Roosevelt's decision to stop attacking business and turn to foreign policy. When Republicans made gains in the 1938 midterms, it became clear that the New Deal era of mega-intervention was ending.

It is that backtracking of the later '30s that is relevant to recovery today.

People need to stop being polite. They need to say to the looters that they are indeed shrugging and won't stop shrugging until the random threats and arbitrary changes of laws, rates and rhetoric that declares that they must be the movers of society while also being greedy and evil for moving it all come to an end.

Until then, we will have....UNCERTAINTY.

So drink mf drink!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

How come it is never the dedicated spenders who leave the nation in a bad spot?

I just remember when there was "too much consumin' goin' on out there". And that was the cause of all the problems with the economy...
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #15 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

I just remember when there was "too much consumin' goin' on out there". And that was the cause of all the problems with the economy...

Of course it was and also too much debt so of course the answer to that solution is... much more debt to try to generate consumption.

Another day, another article about that wonderful word... UNCERTAINTY.

Businessweek.com

Lots of great news and great figures, but what is holding the economy and the U.S. back? The answer lies in the last paragraph and as usual, they name the symptoms but not the cause.

Quote:
However, we are not going to get higher sales until people and companies can figure out what is happening. Uncertainty is everywhere: taxes, health care, jobs, stimulus, cut-backs, How do you invest if you dont know where you are going? With all due respect to Simon & Garfunkels Seven Oclock News (44 years ago), Uncertainty is the greatest single weapon working against the U.S..

Taxes, health care, stimulus, claims to generate jobs... I wonder who we could associate with all those UNCERTAIN issues?

Isn't it amazingly ironic that the white elephant in the room that one will discuss is our first black president?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #16 of 29
Thread Starter 
There is no uncertainty. A law has been passed against it.

Now much like unemployement, and too big to fail, all our troubles are over gone and solved!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #17 of 29

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #18 of 29
Time for another shot. Make it tequila this time please.

Cisco sees "unusual uncertainty," sales disappoint:

Quote:
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO.O) CEO John Chambers warned of "unusual uncertainty" in the economy and forecast revenue that missed Wall Street targets, sending its shares plummeting and raising fears that a nascent recovery in technology spending could be derailed.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #19 of 29
Thread Starter 
I guess this one requires a double-shot.

The uncertainty of our economic uncertainty.


Quote:
Yet if the last two years have toppled confidence in unhindered progress, its worth considering as well that they have also given us plenty of cause to doubt the economic consensus, whether positive or negative. Just as nobody has figured out how to fix the economy, no one has figured out how to reliably predict its changes in direction. Nearly a decade ago, a paper from the International Monetary Fund noted drily that the record of economists at predicting recessions was one of virtually unblemished failure. Since then, things havent changed all that much. Of 54 leading economists consulted by Business Week for its 2007 survey of economic forecasts, only two predicted that the country would hit a recession in 2008. Well, it certainly did.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #20 of 29
Regime Uncertainty: Are Interest-Rate Movements Consistent with the Hypothesis?:

Quote:
In the latter half of the 1930s, many investors feared that the government would destroy the private enterprise system and replace it with fascism, socialism, or some other extreme transformation of the existing economic order.

In testing my hypothesis, I marshaled three distinct types of evidence: historical documentation of government actions and public reactions; findings of public opinion surveys, especially surveys of businessmen; and evidence from financial markets.

Quote:
My most striking financial evidence for the New Deal episode pertains to the yield curve for corporate bonds, that is, to the spreads between the effective yields on high-grade corporate bonds with various terms to maturity. I found that this yield curve became suddenly much steeper sometime between the first quarter of 1934 and the first quarter of 1935 (a period when the New Deal lurched from its first, or business tolerant, phase to its second, or business hostile, phase) and remained very steep until sometime between the first quarter of 1941 and the first quarter of 1942 (a period when the New Deal handed over the reins to the military and the big businessmen who, along with the president himself, ran the war-command economy for the duration). I interpreted these extreme spreads as risk premiums on longer-term investments caused by regime uncertainty.

Given the extraordinary scale and scope of the actions the government has taken since mid-2008 and the many expressions of uncertainty (and hence of unwillingness to undertake long-term investments) voiced by businessmen and others as a result of this flurrybailouts, unprecedented monetary policies, surges in government spending, and tremendous regulatory undertakings in health care and financial markets, among other things one wonders whether the corporate bond yield curve shows the same kind of movement it displayed in the face of the regime uncertainty that prevailed from 1935 to 1941.

Quote:
I find that back in 2008, before the onset of the financial panic in September, the corporate bond yield curve was rather flat that is, the yields increased only slightly with term to maturity. At the lower end of the yield curve, yield spreads were tending to narrow slightly until late September. When the panic hit, yields became extremely volatile, especially for the bonds with 2 years to maturity (the shortest term in the data), and remained volatile for almost a year. After mid-2009, the volatility diminished greatly.

Examining these data, I find that once this dust had settled, the yield curve for corporate bonds had become substantially steeper.

Quote:
Thus, just as the steep yield curve for the New Deal years corresponds precisely with the so-called Second New Deal, when Roosevelt and his leading subordinates and advisers went on the warpath against investors as a class, the recent transition corresponds to the volatility associated with the period of frenetic government action and financial market fluctuations between September 2008 and the middle of 2009, leaving in its wake a much steeper yield curve.

Quote:
I view these financial data as consistent with the hypothesis of recently heightened regime uncertainty. Of course, they do not prove that it is true, just as the striking data I found for the 1930s do not prove the hypothesis as applied to that episode. But in economic history, one looks above all for the correspondence of various forms of evidence with the interpretation one places on the observations. In the current episode, as during that of the latter 1930s, we find that (1) a great deal of direct testimony by businessmen and investors, (2) an account of the governments ideological character and the historical narrative of what the government has done and, and (3) the bond-market evidence (as well as the movements of the stock market, although they are more difficult to interpret) all conform with a hypothesis that places significant weight on regime uncertainty.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post


Isn't it amazingly ironic that the white elephant in the room that one will discuss is our first black president?

And the president's colour is relevant... how, exactly?

post #22 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

And the president's colour is relevant... how, exactly?


If you could link to where I said it was relevant, then you might have a little bit of merit to your claim.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

If you could link to where I said it was relevant, then you might have a little bit of merit to your claim.

I didn't make "a claim." I asked a question. You didn't answer it.

You mentioned the president's colour.

And now you're claiming it wasn't relevant.

OK.

You mentioned the president's colour... for no reason at all. Your hand slipped, and you mentioned the president's colour. That must have been it.

You mentioned it. Now you're saying it wasn't relevant.

So why did you mention it?
post #24 of 29
Thread Starter 
If I mentioned he was the 44th president would I now me a numberist?

Citing irony shows it is a joke. Large white elephant. Thin black Democrat. Irony.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

If I mentioned he was the 44th president would I now me a numberist?

Citing irony shows it is a joke. Large white elephant. Thin black Democrat. Irony.

You shoehorned the president's race into a comment where it was absolutely irrelevant by actually inventing a new term. "The white elephant in the room." Kind of... half "white elephant" and "the elephant in the room."

But... OK. Yes, it's really "ironic".
post #26 of 29
I think we should get back to the elephant in the room which is the uncertainty this president has created in the economy and how it is affecting the economy.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #27 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

You shoehorned the president's race into a comment where it was absolutely irrelevant by actually inventing a new term. "The white elephant in the room." Kind of... half "white elephant" and "the elephant in the room."

But... OK. Yes, it's really "ironic".

It's amazing how that works. It's almost like I'm trying to be funny by weaving together existing idioms and playing with them in new ways. Hard for you to imagine such things I know, especially in a thread called "Uncertainty - The New Drinking Game" whereby the entire point is noting word use and substitution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

I think we should get back to the elephant in the room which is the uncertainty this president has created in the economy and how it is affecting the economy.

Good point, and better still, get back to the drinking because there hasn't yet been any discussion of pink elephants which would be the Recovery Summer.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Good point, and better still, get back to the drinking because there hasn't yet been any discussion of pink elephants which would be the Recovery Summer.

Ah yes "Recovery Summer"...I knew thee well.

This is what happens when you elect a guy to the presidency whose only demonstrable skill is giving good speeches...they tend to think that all they need to say something eloquently (and persistently and hopefully and confidently) enough for it to be true.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #29 of 29
Didn't you hear? Ben Bernanke said we're already in the "recovery phase", but it'll take a really, really long time.

How much is he getting paid?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Uncertainty - The New Drinking Game