or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple unveils redesigned MobileMe Calendar, begins beta signups

Apple unveils redesigned MobileMe Calendar, begins beta signups - Page 2

post #41 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebjesus View Post

Some people here don't know how spam actually works.

Just because MobileMe is a pay service does not mean you are any safer than someone with a free email host. What matters is this, do you use your @me address with friends, family, web sites, on forms, resumes etc? If you do you run the HIGH risk of getting spam email. The more you use (and post) your email address the worse it will get.

So for instance if you sign up to an online site like AppleInsider with your @me address you run the risk of getting spam. Certain sites sell their member email lists to third parties for this very reason....to make money!

Some people are really naive. You don't need a @me email to spam @me members.

hmm, interesting. i have one gmail account that i never -ever- use for online forms etc, and i have only given the address out to 3 or 4 close friends. at this very point in time, there are 172 items in the spam folder.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #42 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core;

snip

The next morning everyone, but one, was thanking me on how great a time they had had. The one dissenter could only complain loudly that the bar 'help' couldn't speak English, the bear tasted like shit, and how he felt he was being ripped off. It was obvious that it wasn't that they 'couldn't speak English to hem, but that they wouldn't..
Snip.

Having lived in Germany half my life and the other half in Canada, I can attest to the fact that bear always tastes like shit.
post #43 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

Just quoting the last sentence. Read each word carefully.

N.B. If you're done with the sentence and didn't notice anything... something's wrong.

I'm very surprised that AppleInsider writers and the none of the commenters picked up on that other than you.

This is the seedling for iTunes in the Cloud.
I'm psyched about it.
post #44 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core;

I can't wait.

Have 5 Mac and the iPad using MobileMe Mail. Beautiful interface. Makes emaiing a dream to use.

I would suggest that before anybody dises it to keep an open mind at least try it first.

BTW, compared to the cost of 2-3 coffees at Starbucks, or the like, a month, MobileMe is a fantastic bargain. And somehow, I am more confident that Apple will be around a lot longer than a coffee house. However, I do like the idea of a monthly or quarterly subscription payment service via the iTunes Store.

Totally agree.

As an iTools, .mac, MobileMe user for ten years or so, the money spent on the service is trivial for the convenience of keeping 8 macs, two iPods, an iPhone, an iPad synced, my airport stations accessible from everywhere and having the ability to jump on other people's macs and within minutes of creating a user account on it to have my preferences, mail accounts, contacts, bookmarks, calendars, transmit favorites, etc at my disposal.

I understand that it's not for everybody. A single Mac user probably doesn't see the value in it in the same way I do. For me it's a no brainer. In order to duplicate the functionality it offers, google alone won't do. The fact that I pay around $10 bucks a month for a family account that offers all that, without handing my address book to a company like google that thinks that 'privacy is dead' is not worth bitching about.

Obviously YMMV. I just wish people would stop whining about it. Don't want to pay for it? Fine. Just don't add up the time it takes to set up an equivalent service with 'free' providers. Flipping burgers will pay better.
post #45 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob1varghese View Post

I'm very surprised that AppleInsider writers and the none of the commenters picked up on that other than you.

Surprised myself. But it got fixed. So I suppose that someone must have seen it.

iMac mid 2011 • 27 in • 3,4 GHz Core i7 • 32 GB RAM • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM

iMac mid 2011 • 27 in • 3,4 GHz Core i7 • 32 GB RAM • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM

post #46 of 52
Have way too many files uploaded to my MobileMe account, and too many years at the same address to kill it really.

Sync between my MacBook and PowerMac has broken so many times that I gave up. Tried every hint I could find and nothing works. I have to access iDisk with Cyberduck because Finder's WebDAV implementation (or maybe it's an iDisk issue, I don't know) is completely unreliable and unpredictable.

I won't be rushing to sign up for the beta, if ever. Still. the $79 or so from Amazon is probably cheaper than paying for hosting considering how much bandwidth I use up. Also, I find MobileMe's IMAP access more reliable than my Yahoo POP account.
post #47 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

Having lived in Germany half my life and the other half in Canada, I can attest to the fact that bear always tastes like shit.

The bloke was from Whales.
post #48 of 52
Right now I use Google Apps because I have a custom domain. Costs me $0 to get everything Apple charges for, and they don't even support custom domains. The only compelling feature Apple has is Find My iPhone, which there's no way I'm paying $100 a year for.
post #49 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Costs me $0 to get everything Apple charges for

Not even close to being accurate.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #50 of 52
It doesn't work behind Proxies like ISA server
post #51 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

ROFLMAO!
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #52 of 52
The beta is now open and people (including me) are getting their invites. On first impression, I like the design a lot. It's very slick, but still casual friendly and that's fine with me. I also like the blue much more than the brown hue in the iPad app.

The CalDAV breaking the push calendar on the iPad doesn't bother me too much. Slightly put out by the fact that it means having a second account specifically for the beta account, but I can live with it until it goes final and presumably integrates back into the original MobileMe account. I'd rather make use of the new design and features of the beta and wait for the iPad to catch back up.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple unveils redesigned MobileMe Calendar, begins beta signups