or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad finds enterprise adoption at Wells Fargo, SAP

Apple's iPad finds enterprise adoption at Wells Fargo, SAP

post #1 of 35
A number of companies have turned to Apple's iPad for their business needs, with the hardware used by employees in giving presentations, accessing work e-mail, approving shipping orders, and a variety of other tasks.

Wells Fargo initially bought 15 iPads, and used two of them in May to demonstrate products at an investor conference, the company told Businessweek. Wells Fargo spent two years looking at the iPhone, but approved the iPad in just two weeks after it was released in April.

Now, the bank plans to buy more -- when they're available. Megan Minich, senior vice-president with the San Francisco, Calif., company, reportedly said they have "a bunch" ordered that they have not yet received.

And Amy Johnson, vice president with Wells Fargo for the company's online portal and mobile strategy, said she envisions finance officials or account representatives using devices like the iPad to approve multimillion-dollar wire transfers. The company found that finance executives of large companies had used the iPad to access corporate Wells Fargo accounts.

Author Rachael King also noted that SAP, Tellabs, and Mercedes-Benz have all embraced the iPad.

Use of the iPad by Mercedes-Benz to sell cars was detailed in May. The Daimler-owned brand equipped 40 dealerships with Apple's device in an effort to more effectively sell and lease cars, using the hardware to handle credit applications. Now, the company is considering using iPads at all of its 350 U.S. dealerships.

Rob Enslin, president of SAP North America, told Businessweek that when he travels, he only carries an iPad and a BlackBerry. He said Apple's new hardware has almost allowed him to "run a paperless office." SAP developed an application that lets managers approve shipping of customer orders, and has a handful of other apps planned.

King also penned a second story in which she spoke with Tim Markley, president of Markley Enterprise, a 75-person Indiana firm that designs marketing displays for stores and trade shows. Markley's company uses three iPads to replace paperwork and also serve as a portable computing device. They found that the use of the iPad cut down on 30 percent of employee's walking time, making them more efficient.

Another company, Arhaus Furniture, expects to save $100,000 in annual paper costs when it issues 50 iPads to its delivery drivers. The company will rely on a custom iPad application that is being developed.

But Markley didn't want to pay to have his own application developed, so he searched the App Store and found one created by a Japanese developer for $1.99.

Apple made it clear it sees the iPad as a potential business tool when it released its Office-compatible iWork productivity suite for the multitouch device. But that was only the beginning for Apple's enterprise push. It is expected that future software updates will allow direct network printing from IPad apps, as well as support for accessing shared files from a local file server.

Users, too, have seen the iPad as a device they can use for work. A survey conducted in March, before the iPad was released, found that more than half of prospective buyers planned to do as Enslin does, and use their iPad for work while traveling.
post #2 of 35
First!

Just a little thinking outside the box - and more iPads sold.

Funny how no one was ever going to buy these - and they're still sold out months after their introduction. This is only the beginning.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #3 of 35
It's good to see Apple getting a head start with inclusion of its tablet in business settings, as opposed to its impending competitors(cisco, HP, etc.).
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
post #4 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But that was only the beginning for Apple's enterprise push. It is expected that future software updates will allow direct network printing from IPad apps, as well as support for accessing shared files from a local file server.

...and when they update the iOS for this functionality, as well as modifying the "Notes" tool to allow sketching/doodling/handwriting recognition (either with your finger or a stylus). I will be first in line to buy one. YES YES YES, AutoDesk (amongst others) "has an App for that" but i want more integration of native tools. This device should be a digital notepad, IMO
post #5 of 35
Just think it it allowed you to print from the darn thing...
That's the main thing I miss.
post #6 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

First!

Funny how no one was ever going to buy these - and they're still sold out months after their introduction. This is only the beginning.

It's way past time for normal people to completely ignore what the so-called tech types predict. declare, and otherwise pontificate about. And that includes the "I'll buy one when it has XXX" posts in this very thread. They have been totally, completely, embarassingly, ignorantly WRONG about every single product release by Apple in the last 5 years. They have no clue about the market, no clue about what normal users want, and clearly no clue about what a company like Apple is all about. They don't have even a tiny bit of a clue when it comes to useability and customer satisifaction.

It's time we start calling these people out on their crap. The tech/nerd wannabe emperors have no clothes. They live in their holier-than-thou fantasy world of technical specs and features. They lord it over on their family members and co-workers. They as ludicrous as the Saturday Night Live "your company computer guy" sketches of a few years ago.
post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proximityeffect View Post

I agree, that's a pretty big omission. I hope Apple are working on a solution to this - it's pretty much the only thing on my iPad that I really could do with.
post #8 of 35
Quote:

Patience, Grasshopper. Patience.
post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

It's way past time for normal people to completely ignore what the so-called tech types predict. declare, and otherwise pontificate about. And that includes the "I'll buy one when it has XXX" posts in this very thread. They have been totally, completely, embarassingly, ignorantly WRONG about every single product release by Apple in the last 5 years. They have no clue about the market, no clue about what normal users want, and clearly no clue about what a company like Apple is all about. They don't have even a tiny bit of a clue when it comes to useability and customer satisifaction.

It's time we start calling these people out on their crap. The tech/nerd wannabe emperors have no clothes. They live in their holier-than-thou fantasy world of technical specs and features. They lord it over on their family members and co-workers. They as ludicrous as the Saturday Night Live "your company computer guy" sketches of a few years ago.

Well, consider that most tech journalists aren't really expert in tech, or they'd be doing that instead. They also aren't top notch journalists, or they wouldn't be relegated to the tech pages. They can do ok when they are reporting straight facts -- except when they are simply regurgitating company press releases, which is often -- but when they start opining, all bets are off. Checklist specs and features are easy to focus on when you don't really understand what you are writing about, so it's no surprise that a lot of tech journalism is heavily concentrated on those.
post #10 of 35
Looks like the iPad will reach feature parity soon with the Mac. Then... well, let the best platform win
post #11 of 35
So Wells Fargo is dropping all their netbooks for iPads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I agree, that's a pretty big omission. I hope Apple are working on a solution to this - it's pretty much the only thing on my iPad that I really could do with.

You can’t expect everything at once and for it be a competent device. If that were the case the decade head start everyone else’s tablet had would be the de facto standard. Didn’t Jobs say this will be coming to iOS or the iPad? I think it’s a powerful start. Maybe in v4.0.

BTW, how will printing happen from the device? With an intermediary print server or will the iPad contain all the drivers for printing?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #12 of 35
Having been part of the folks that helped SeaFirst Bank establish their Mac setup a long, long time ago (with the horrific Macintosh Office network), I wonder if the younger folks here can even appreciate just what the iPad and iPhone represent to business at large?
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #13 of 35
Quote:

There are currently several apps that allow this. I use Air Sharing, which advertises in the product description:

Requires Mac OS X (10.5+) or Linux with Printer Sharing
Prints most viewable formats
No special desktop software required

I've never had a problem printing anything that Air Sharing can open. It can directly get all attachments from your email, pictures from the Photo gallery, and it automatically opens some downloads from Safari.
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You expect everything at once and be a competent device. If that were the case the decade head start everyone elses tablet had would be the de facto standard.

BTW, how will printing happen from the device? With an intermediary print server or will the iPad contain all the drivers for printing?

I said no such thing. I said lack of printing was a big omission, which I think on a device which has an office suite it true.

I never said I expect everything at once, I said I hoped they were working on it.

You have to drop the thought that just because someone would like Apple products to be able to do something extra that they are anti-Apple or somehow stupid.

And as for how it will happen, I've no idea, but if every other computer I have can find the printer that's plugged into my router, I think it would be good if the iPad could too.
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I said no such thing. I said lack of printing was a big omission, which I think on a device which has an office suite it true.

I never said I expect everything at once, I said I hoped they were working on it.

You have to drop the thought that just because someone would like Apple products to be able to do something extra that they are anti-Apple or somehow stupid.

And as for how it will happen, I've no idea, but if every other computer I have can find the printer that's plugged into my router, I think it would be good if the iPad could too.

Mea culpa, typing on the iPhone and not proofreading before sending has its pitfalls.
post #16 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

King also penned a second story in which she spoke with Tim Markley, president of Markley Enterprise, a 75-person Indiana firm that designs marketing displays for stores and trade shows. Markley's company uses three iPads to replace paperwork and also serve as a portable computing device. They found that the use of the iPad cut down on 30 percent of employee's walking time, making them more efficient.

But Markley didn't want to pay to have his own application developed, so he searched the App Store and found one created by a Japanese developer for $1.99.

I am curious what the app mentioned is.
post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

First!

It is the new post-Mac platform. Not saying Mac is going to die out in the next 5 years, but the iPad platform will outsell Mac by about 5:1 over the next few years... my humble prediction.

The iPad is pretty great, really. Limitations exist, but for so many non-Mac users to accept such limitations is really surprising and bodes well.
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Not saying Mac is going to die out in the next 5 years, but the iPad platform will outsell Mac by about 5:1 over the next few years... my humble prediction.

I predict the iPad will outsell the Mac in unit sales and total revenue for this last quarter that included all those new Mac notebooks.
post #19 of 35
Quote:

I predict the iPad will outsell the Mac in unit sales and total revenue for this last quarter that included all those new Mac notebooks.

What are the major markets for MBP? I think college students and technology professionals. In both of those fields the iPad would be totally inadequate. On the other hand there are millions of casual users, children, technophobes, sales people, soccer moms, etc. that the iPad is perfect for. So I don't think the cannibalization or MBP replacement factors into the equation at all.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What are the major markets for MBP? I think college students and technology professionals. In both of those fields the iPad would be totally inadequate. On the other hand there are millions of casual users, children, technophobes, sales people, soccer moms, etc. that the iPad is perfect for. So I don't think the cannibalization or MBP replacement factors into the equation at all.

Ive theorized that the iPad and iPad0like devices could lead to a resurgence of desktop PCs and a slight slowing in notebook growth, but my comment wasnt about cannibalization, it was about the profit centers for Apple. The iPhone quickly became the most profitable leg for Apple. I think the iPad will be 2nd most profitable leg for Apple. pushing the Mac to 3rd place, with iPod pulling up the rear for their HW categories.
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If there were a FileMaker Pro client for the iPad, it would be my primary work tool. I have a client base I keep records on with FMP. Printing from that would be key also.

For now my MBP meets my needs for work, but I have to say I love my iPad for keeping my calendar (via MobileMe), surfing the web and just having fun.

Edited to ad: Bento doesn't count. I created the database from scratch. I need FMP.
post #22 of 35
Quote:

Mea culpa, typing on the iPhone and not proofreading before sending has its pitfalls.

Solipsism, not trying to be a wiseass or anything, but I'm truly curious. I've re-read your post and I'm trying to figure out how typing it on an iPhone as opposed to a regular keyboard would change the meaning of your post .... what am I doing wrong?
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Solipsism, not trying to be a wiseass or anything, but I'm truly curious. I've re-read your post and I'm trying to figure out how typing it on an iPhone as opposed to a regular keyboard would change the meaning of your post .... what am I doing wrong?

I left out the word cant, which changed the tone. The amount of text I can see on the iPhone screen is small and auto-correction isnt always accurate. Its my fault for not proofreading before submitting. I got into a bad habit of doing that after the fact as its easier to read than in the text window, but if Im posing on the iPhone I am usually busy doing other tasks and can forget to check. So, its squarely fault and I will try to be proofread before submitting in the future.
post #24 of 35
Quote:

It is the new post-Mac platform. Not saying Mac is going to die out in the next 5 years, but the iPad platform will outsell Mac by about 5:1 over the next few years... my humble prediction.

The iPad is pretty great, really. Limitations exist, but for so many non-Mac users to accept such limitations is really surprising and bodes well.

I think your prediction is a good one, not because the iPad is a better product than my 24" iMac, for instance .... but because it is fills a need at a better price for a lot more people.
.. In my case, even 'tho I really like having the ability to do a lot more on my iMac ... and I actually do, sometimes ... the vast majority of my computing time is spent doing all the things that an iPad can handle very nicely. Combine that with cloud computing and an iPad may very well be the top seller in the future.
post #25 of 35
Quote:

I left out the word cant, which changed the tone. The amount of text I can see on the iPhone screen is small and auto-correction isnt always accurate. Its my fault for not proofreading before submitting. I got into a bad habit of doing that after the fact as its easier to read than in the text window, but if Im posing on the iPhone I am usually busy doing other tasks and can forget to check. So, its squarely fault and I will try to be proofread before submitting in the future.

It all makes sense to me now ... you fixed it before I read it ... I gotta get faster at this.
post #26 of 35
Quote:
A number of companies have turned to Apple's iPad for their business needs...

The camel's nose is under the tent.
post #27 of 35
They should have called it the TARDIS - and then advertised with "It's Bigger on the Inside"

T= Time
A = And
R = Relative
D = Dimension
I = In
S = Space

or

T = Total
A = Apple
R = Reality
D = Distortion
I = In
S = Space

hmm, might need some work yet.
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Such malevolent naysayers never had it on their minds for one moment to present the cold technical facts, except where it suits their ill-hidden agendas.

They are for the main paid shills of opposing corporate forces and rivals who would stoop to any base and unethical tactics to undermine their rivals. Companies whose philosophy is summed up by the maxim: "It is not enough that we succeed - others must fail". The Western corporate world is chock-full of these abominations to enterprise, and they justify their ethos by their need to be ruthless on the Capitalist battlefield.

Then we also have, synchronising with these base sentiments, techno-zealots and fanatics with massive inferiority complexes and irrational preferences that override their reason and lead them to continually predict failure and doom even in the face of the most obvious.

This sentiment, which does them no credit (indeed grave discredit) runs really deep, and no amount of "calling these people out on their crap" will deter them. It's no exaggeration to say that these people have been at it for over a decade now, and show no sign of abatement.
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMacGuy View Post

The camel's nose is under the tent.

And the eagle flies only at midnight.

Now, shouldn't we both be wearing dark glasses, trenchcoats and funny hats?
post #30 of 35
Quote:

Free Wireless Printing From The iPad Is Already Happening. Several Free apps let you do it now.

PrinterShare
HP iPrint
ePrint Free
More if you just look
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormM View Post

There are currently several apps that allow this. I use Air Sharing, which advertises in the product description:

Requires Mac OS X (10.5+) or Linux with Printer Sharing
Prints most viewable formats
No special desktop software required

I've never had a problem printing anything that Air Sharing can open. It can directly get all attachments from your email, pictures from the Photo gallery, and it automatically opens some downloads from Safari.

Or print from a Mac or PC to the iPhone or iPad with ACTPrinter - Virtual Printer

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy;

If there were a FileMaker Pro client for the iPad, it would be my primary work tool. I have a client base I keep records on with FMP. Printing from that would be key also.

For now my MBP meets my needs for work, but I have to say I love my iPad for keeping my calendar (via MobileMe), surfing the web and just having fun.

Edited to ad: Bento doesn't count. I created the database from scratch. I need FMP.

Odd, isn't it? The iPhone platform has been around for three years, and FileMaker - a subsidiary of Apple Inc. - thinks that Bento is good enough. If I remember correctly, there is no compatibility between the two products either... There was better integration between Appleworks and the Newton over a decade ago.

The database component seems like a piece of the puzzle that's been missing for a while now, both from iWorks and the iPhone. I've always wondered why that is.
post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proximityeffect;

Funny... I work in the print industry and gave up owning a printer about ten years ago. Remember the 'paperless office' (ca. 1987??). It's here people! Embrace it!

I know, I know, it doesn't work for every scenario, but I think the major obstacle is human inertia, not technical feasibility. What are these documents that call for the sacrifice of ancient forests? I wonder how much crap gets printed just to be tossed after one read...

(totally not directed at you, but thank you for indulging me. ;-)
post #33 of 35
Quote:

the iPad platform will outsell Mac by about 5:1 over the next few years... my humble prediction.

The iPad and iOS devices to follow will outsell Windows within the next five years. That's what I see coming. The iPad and the "walled garden" are perfect for the majority of users who are looking to accomplish work and tasks and not "compute" for the sake of computing.
post #34 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

Funny... I work in the print industry and gave up owning a printer about ten years ago. Remember the 'paperless office' (ca. 1987??). It's here people! Embrace it!

I know, I know, it doesn't work for every scenario, but I think the major obstacle is human inertia, not technical feasibility. What are these documents that call for the sacrifice of ancient forests? I wonder how much crap gets printed just to be tossed after one read...

(totally not directed at you, but thank you for indulging me. ;-)

+1 - and I work in the advertising and packaging industry. Over the last few years, with around a thousand projects per year, I actually use about a one package of A3 and A4 paper each, per year. All of the daily correspondence is done with email, PDFs, and workgroup (web) collaboration software.

There is a serious advantage to not using paper, and that is having years and years worth of info at your fingertips. That is if you know how to organize on your computer, use tagging software, and know how powerful Find, Spotlight, or apps like HoudaSpot are. Far superior to digging through paper files.

@psych guy - my team actually likes and uses Bento. You can export your data from FM, and with a few workarounds, get it to be useful and workable within Bento without "too" much hassle. Give it a try at least.

PS: this just in for people wanting to migrate FM data FMTouch Enterprise deploys FileMaker databases to iOS devices
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #35 of 35
TOA Technologies is developing the app for Arhaus, and we're delighted to help make this exciting innovation in service and efficiency possible our long-time customer. In addition cutting down costs and delivery time, the iPad will function as an on-the-go marketing tool, allowing Arhaus' drivers to showcase their product line to customers on the spot. http://www.toatech.com

The iPad's unique features (built-in GPS function, ability to collect electronic signatures) allow companies to streamline current operations and increase productivity. It's no surprise that more than 50% of the fortune100 deploying or piloting the ipad within the first 90 days of its fallibility. We hope to see more businesses take advantage of the iPad in the near future.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad finds enterprise adoption at Wells Fargo, SAP