or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Lenovo says Apple is missing out in China, curtains off Shanghai store

Lenovo says Apple is missing out in China, curtains off Shanghai store

post #1 of 43
The chairman of PC maker Lenovo said this week that Apple doesn't care about China because Steve Jobs has a "bad temper," while Apple has taken the wraps off of the grand entrance to its forthcoming Shanghai retail store.

Lenovo is 'lucky' Apple doesn't compete in China

Lenovo Chairman Liu Chuanzhi believes that Apple is missing a huge opportunity in the Chinese market, according to the Financial Times. He said his company is "lucky" that Apple doesn't compete, as it would likely be to Lenovo's detriment.

"We are lucky that Steve Jobs has such a bad temper and doesn't care about China," Chuanzhi reportedly said. "If Apple were to spend the same effort on the chinese consumer as we do, we would be in trouble."

Lenovo recently launched its LePhone designed specifically for Chinese consumers. The chairman said he believes his handset had an advantage because of that localization. He also praised Jobs, calling him a "genius."

The Times noted that Apple's products are desirable in China, but there is limited availability due to a small number of retail options.

Shanghai store to open this Saturday

This Saturday, Apple will hold a grand opening for its new flagship store in Shanghai, China. For weeks now, the megastore has been hidden behind red curtains pictured on its massive glass storefront. But this week, they were removed to reveal its exterior.

AppleInsider reader Matthew Lesh sent in photos he took of the cover being removed from the store's entrance in preparation for the grand opening. The cylindrical glass structure serves as the entrance to the store, which is located underneath and accessed via staircase.

White iPhone 4 unboxed

Finally, Chris Chang of MIC Gadget sent along photos of Apple's forthcoming white iPhone 4, in and out of its box. The box looks identical to the packaging for the black iPhone 4, except the pictured hardware on the front includes the white glass front and back.

In June, just before the iPhone 4 launched, Apple announced that the white model will not arrive until late July. The company said the device proved "more challenging to manufacture than expected," forcing the delay.

The pictures of the handset show holes above the earpiece that are not found on the already released black model. These are likely to allow the handset's proximity sensor to work through the colored glass.

post #2 of 43
Here comes yet another sales surge...
(If they have sufficient quanity to sell!)
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #3 of 43
So does this mean that Lenovo is in trouble?

I respect Chuanzhi for his candidness, but it sounds much like a dare and one that is already on its way of happening with this known store and increase Apple product sales in China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Here comes yet another sales surge...
(If they have sufficient quanity to sell!)

At least shipping with be faster and more cost efficient.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #4 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

At least shipping with be faster and more cost efficient.

?????
post #5 of 43
Imagine that. Just a few short years ago none of these big companies even knew that Apple existed. And even of they did know about Apple they laughed and snickered. Remember Michael Dell and his famous putdown? These days Apple is looming large on their radar screens, a giant blip heading straight for their balance sheets. It gives me great pleasure to see a bozo like this getting nervous and sweaty.
post #6 of 43
How does the chinese iPhone compared to the "real" one, is it still somewhat crippled?
post #7 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

?????

Foxconn, Shenzhen, China to Apple Store, Shanghai, China
post #8 of 43
Lenovo sucks! The IBM thinkpad was an awesomely built system. But when Lenovo bought it they totally screwed it up.
Anyway!!!!!!
Now watch for Apple's stock to sore to close to $400.00 especially with iad on the iphone and soon the ipad.
Sorry Google! Your a** is grass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 43
HTML Code:
So on first glance it appears that because Apple is missing out in China, Lenovo curtained off (screened off) the Lenovo Shanghai store. I guess a semicolon rather than a comma would have helped!
post #10 of 43
Something just doesn't sound right... Did something get lost in the translation. The way he said Jobs doesn't care about China becuase he has a bad temper sounds like a 4th grader poking fun at someone. Jobs isn't the only one running the company. Then in the next breath he praises Jobs? How about Apple is slowly entering that market because like most foreign countries the process of building takes time. Then the article talks about a store opening in Shangai.. well isn't that competing in China??? Clearly he and Apple care because they are opening a store?? If you move to quick you could seriously miss something and completley destroy what your trying to do. Last time I checked China is still a communist country that doesn't like to give a whole lot of power to the population. The iPhone would have to be seriously tuned down and what Apple wants to accomplish might be missed. If they can't sell a product to the best that they can deliver then why bother trying in the first place.
post #11 of 43
Bad temper=Genius???

what is Lenovo? - never heard of it
post #12 of 43
"Lenovo is 'lucky' Apple doesn't compete in China"

Kind of the way Creative was 'lucky' that Apple didn't sell MP3 players. Back in 2001.

We'll see how lucky Lenovo is in about 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #13 of 43
Definitely something lost in translation.

I suspect "bad temper" = unwillingness to customize Apple devices and services to accommodate China's censorship of information.
post #14 of 43
I don't think Liu Chuanzhi really understands Apple and how they think about products and markets. That's OK though. Hardly any of Apple's competitors do.
Soon enough he'll come to see that Apple's drinking Lenovo's milkshake, but just easiest to get and most profitable part of it.
post #15 of 43
Anyone wanna bet the China store opening is why the iPhone 4 still has a 3 week lead time?
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #16 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Anyone wanna bet the China store opening is why the iPhone 4 still has a 3 week lead time?

No...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #17 of 43
Quote:

Oh, I thought you were referring to the white iP4s.
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanotech View Post

How does the chinese iPhone compared to the "real" one, is it still somewhat crippled?

I believe so. But the legal shackles have been removed, so I would expect the next iPhone released in the PRC will be a "normal" one.
I don't think there is as huge a market for Apple products in China as everyone seems to think. Not for a while anyway. Apple products are just too high end for all but the most affluent Chinese. I see them hitting a few big cities hard (Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, etc.) There are plenty of affluent people in those locations to support Apple infrastructure, but probably not enough elsewhere.
post #19 of 43
That new store looks like a keyhole with the Apple store as the key.

Symbolism, perhaps?
post #20 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

So on first glance it appears that because Apple is missing out in China, Lenovo curtained off (screened off) the Lenovo Shanghai store. I guess a semicolon rather than a comma would have helped!

Exactly my reaction to seeing the headline...Lenovo curtained off a store? Huh?
post #21 of 43
From the actual FT article:
“My theory is that a manager needs to be the string on which he puts one pearl after another. But Jobs himself is a big pearl.”
--- did he just call Steve Jobs a pearl necklace!?!! (sorry, but I had to do it)

I've been to China a few times pre-iPhone launch there and when I showed folks my iPod touch and later iPhone many wanted it and said Apple is highly thought of there, because they symboloze American success and innovation. I did see a couple iPhones there, but guessing folks got 'em from HK, and was offered a fake iPhone on the street, but I just kept walking.

I feel Apple has the interest there, but need to make it easier to get products and although the Chinese middle-class is growing fast a lot of people still can't afford them, so they go with the cheaper homegrown items they are familiar with and trust. Of course many can and do buy Apple, I'm just talking about the avg buyer or lower income buyer. That's my 2cents.
post #22 of 43
Ah, the headline is much clearer now. Thanks.
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

Definitely something lost in translation.

I suspect "bad temper" = unwillingness to customize Apple devices and services to accommodate China's censorship of information.

it should be "unwillingness to customize apple devices and services to accommodate chinese customers' special requirements".

couple of possible requirements and rationale about them:

1: provide some low end devices to chinese market:

regardless how many upper class chinese customers they are, majority of chinese can not simply afford apple products. if apple can strip down some products and sell them cheaper in china, it would be great.

2: provide localized app market to chinese market:

99% of those who can afford apple products simply DONT speak english or read it well. without local support and localized app, the full potential of apple devices are not utilized.

3: build apple devices in china for local chinese users:

yes, apple products are built in china, but all of them are shipped out, not for internal consumption. the ridiculous thing is that chinese re-imported those apple devices to its internal market through tariff channel. thus there are an extra charge on apple devices. maybe WTO membership might reduce the tariff a lot.

the potential of apple's present in china is hugh, particularly on those young who start to know there is an alternative platform, if not the best, in their computational needs.
post #24 of 43
Why was it difficult to manufacture the white iPhone 4 and is it prone to discoloration?
post #25 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHead75 View Post

Why was it difficult to manufacture the white iPhone 4 and is it prone to discoloration?

As a guess, I would say the colour is part of the glass so it wont discolour over time and the white colouration is the reason its harder to produce a consistence look, whereas with black infused glass any variances will be completely unnoticeable to the eye.
post #26 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHead75 View Post

I'm guessing it's those little holes for the proximity sensor. Guessing they have to be laser cut and they had to experiment to get the right power settings, etc.

Daniel Swanson

Daniel Swanson

post #27 of 43
Still waiting to hear how Apple intends to appease iPhone 4 customers over the death grip issue. (The "stunning" bars issue is entirely separate). A free bumper or credit for a previously purchased bumper seems reasonable to me.
post #28 of 43
Quote:

HTML Code:

Do you honestly think grammar is a part of an editorial review at AI? I hope not, expectation certainly leads to disappointment here.
post #29 of 43
despite the ipod and iphone sales explosion, apple has always been very sensible about retail expansion, and about expanding into new territory. before apple can reach the chinese masses, they need to establish a premium prescience making the iphone and macs the desired product for the wealthy in china. only then will they be able to introduce products that cater to the chinese mass consumer.

and if you think about it, apple is in no position to make a fully localized product designed for the masses. lenovo is chinese, and manufacturers their own product, while apple struggles sometimes with maintaining its fast growing array of software and hardware products. in just a few years, apple has gone from a company with one operating system, to two, spanning lots of different hardware. apple came out of never making a phone to making one of the best on the market, and that's no small feat when compared to the relatively slow improvements the rest of the industry has made (the iphone is only as good as it is as a brand new product because of steve jobs' extremely high standards, and vision of how this product should work. i think that's the only thing that can explain the original iphone's groundbreaking interface and breakthrough deal apple made with at&t to put more power in the hands of cell phone manufacturers)

in short, you can see the shanghai store being built now, so don't you think this has a lot to do with the timing of lenovo's statements? they are scared silly of apple, and this guy even admits that if apple put more resources into china (which they will very, very soon) that they will crush lenovo.

lenovo admitting this is absolutely incredible.

lenovo is scared shitless because lenovo makes higher quality, more expensive computers and hardware, just like apple. they are only recently starting to make products intended for the chinese mass market.

lenovo, apple, and sony are essentially the only major premium computer makers on the planet. apple makes up something like 80% of computer sales $1000+, and while not that many people buy computers at that pricerange, nobody makes a better profit margin in the computer industry than apple. yeah lenovo, be very, very scared.
post #30 of 43
Quote:

HTML Code:

i've seen newspapers separate this kind of thing with a comma. i believe it is the proper method of separating two separate thoughts in a headline.

the only problem is that the two thoughts are far too unrelated, it should read:

Lenovo says Apple is missing out on China, curtains off Apple Shanghai store
post #31 of 43
This seems like poking Steve with a stick to see if he get's pissed.
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

i've seen newspapers separate this kind of thing with a comma. i believe it is the proper method of separating two separate thoughts in a headline.

the only problem is that the two thoughts are far too unrelated, it should read:

Lenovo says Apple is missing out on China, curtains off Apple Shanghai store

Might as well add my $0.02.

The headline as you phrase it reads like Lenovo is saying that Apple is missing out on China, and that Lenovo has curtained off Apple Shanghai store.

Or Lenovo is saying that Apple is missing out on China, and that Lenovo is also telling everyone that the curtains are off Apple Shanghai store.

Perhaps the following...

Lenovo says Apple is missing out in China even as the curtains are removed from the new Apple Store Shanghai.

Any advance on that?
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

Might as well add my $0.02.

The headline as you phrase it reads like Lenovo is saying that Apple is missing out on China, and that Lenovo has curtained off Apple Shanghai store.

Or Lenovo is saying that Apple is missing out on China, and that Lenovo is also telling everyone that the curtains are off Apple Shanghai store.

It’s ambiguous but if someone is only reading the headline then it’s not really an issue. If the headline grabs them then that is okay. Sometimes headlines aren’t very forthcoming or simply funny.
"Tired Gay succumbs to Dix in 200 meters"
Quote:
Perhaps the following...

Lenovo says Apple is missing out in China even as the curtains are removed from the new Apple Store Shanghai.

Any advance on that?

Your seems too long to me. How about:

“Lenovo says Apple is missing out in China; curtains off Apple’s Shanghai store"

Specify the store as being Apple’s and use a semicolon, as previously mentioned.
post #34 of 43
Quote:

Lenovo says Apple is missing out in China; curtains off Apples Shanghai store"

Specify the store as being Apples and use a semicolon, as previously mentioned.

Still ambiguous though, semicolon notwithstanding. I guess the matter comes down to clarity vs brevity and the article as posted favors the latter over the former as does your suggestion.

You could use a period to improve clarity, thus...

"Lenovo says Apple is missing out in China. Curtains taken off Apples Shanghai store."

Writing headlines for a living probably causes me to try and avoid ambiguity so I'm no doubt biased. I'd personally err on the side of clarity but then I'm not blogging.
post #35 of 43
IBM was Thinkpad's origin but passing the baton (not torch) to Lenovo liken the downhill of this once great product line

If you don't innovate don't salivate at others and worst bad mouthing. So just move go!
iMac i7
iMac i7
post #36 of 43
Quote:

It’s ambiguous but if someone is only reading the headline then it’s not really an issue. If the headline grabs them then that is okay. Sometimes headlines aren’t very forthcoming or simply funny.
"Tired Gay succumbs to Dix in 200 meters"

“Lenovo says Apple is missing out in China; curtains off Apple’s Shanghai store"

Specify the store as being Apple’s and use a semicolon, as previously mentioned.

Why not just flip the title first giving Apple the lime light then the bad mouthing by Lenovo. Still works!
iMac i7
iMac i7
post #37 of 43
Quote:

As a guess, I would say the colour is part of the glass so it won’t discolour over time and the white colouration is the reason it’s harder to produce a consistence look, whereas with black infused glass any variances will be completely unnoticeable to the eye.

Maybe they also had trouble with the proximity sensor.... it is already inconsistent on the black models, and the white ones further need holes on the glass...
post #38 of 43
Lenovo who?
post #39 of 43
Fashionable hardware is part of the whole appeal. Chinese are well aware that most other, locally manufactured, hardware is nearly worthless.

Consider that a new PC's can be had for little over USD100. Windows XP is everywhere available for less than USD1.00.

No "cool" Chinese kid wants to be seen or wishes for such a computer.
With China's One-Child-Policy, kids are priority #1. Family money flows together to buy that MacBook Pro, iPhone or iPad, absolutely no problem.

The growth of Apple in China will be phenomenal.
post #40 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by doko View Post

Fashionable hardware is part of the whole appeal. Chinese are well aware that most other, locally manufactured, hardware is nearly worthless.

Consider that a new PC's can be had for little over USD100. Windows XP is everywhere available for less than USD1.00.

No "cool" Chinese kid wants to be seen or wishes for such a computer.
With China's One-Child-Policy, kids are priority #1. Family money flows together to buy that MacBook Pro, iPhone or iPad, absolutely no problem.

The growth of Apple in China will be phenomenal.

Yes agreed. The "only one" demand is like an emperor's command!
iMac i7
iMac i7
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Lenovo says Apple is missing out in China, curtains off Shanghai store