or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple's new iPod touch rumored to have 5MP camera, FaceTime

Apple's new iPod touch rumored to have 5MP camera, FaceTime - Page 2

post #41 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Wrong... No GPS, no Gyroscope, no camera... It's NOT the iPhone minus the phone. Take out all the features that make the iPhone an actual phone and its 3G network chips, and call it an iPod Touch. Same apps work in either. Right now, some apps work in iPhone but not iPod Touch because they are not the same.

It’s not the iPhone minus the phone unless it has EVERYTHING EXACTLY like the iPhone 4 has, minus the phone? Is there an app for splitting hairs?

Let’s look at what you’re arguing. You’re saying the iPod Touch isn’t pretty much an iPhone because it doesn’t have a gyroscope. Note that they gyroscope only came out with the iPhone 4 and the iPods haven’t been refreshed yet. When you consider the primary use for the gyroscope it seems very likely that the next Touch will have it.

Then there is the GPS. Do you know how pointless GPS is without local maps Do you know how slow GPS is with assistance? I’d like to see this added, too, but Apple doesn’t usually add features that can’t be used out of the box.

Phones ≠ cameras, but it seems very likely, just like the gyroscope that it’s coming to the Touch. Not only because of the space found last time but because Apple is pushing FaceTime and the Touch is a way to do that.

So it looks like the only thing you’re complaining about is GPS, which still makes little sense as it would require a $50 TomTom or some other App Store purchase just to use it.

Think about it: Who else comes close to offers a smartphone and PMP that are so close together, can use almost all the same apps, can be transitioned between users without them skipping a beat?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #42 of 77
post #43 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Then there is the GPS. Do you know how pointless GPS is without local maps Do you know how slow GPS is with assistance? Id like to see this added, too, but Apple doesnt usually add features that cant be used out of the box.

I just bought an iPhone 3G off of eBay for my daughter. It doesn't have a SIM in it and we do not have any GSM cell towers in my area, and the GPS locks in pretty quickly, quicker than my Garmin Forerunner. I've added Open Maps for $3 which allows me to download the maps for it, so she can now use it when she's not connected with wifi. Runkeeper runs just fine on it too.

It's a lot better than any iPod Touch, and cost me less than $150. If Apple doesn't add a camera and GPS to the iPod Touch this fall I will be upgrading my 1G iPod Touch with a used iPhone 3GS from Ebay (I'm assuming the iPhone 4 will still be too expensive used). It's nice that Apple has to come out with a new iPhone every year.
post #44 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by gozar View Post

I just bought an iPhone 3G off of eBay for my daughter. It doesn't have a SIM in it and we do not have any GSM cell towers in my area, and the GPS locks in pretty quickly, quicker than my Garmin Forerunner. I've added Open Maps for $3 which allows me to download the maps for it, so she can now use it when she's not connected with wifi. Runkeeper runs just fine on it too.

It's a lot better than any iPod Touch, and cost me less than $150. If Apple doesn't add a camera and GPS to the iPod Touch this fall I will be upgrading my 1G iPod Touch with a used iPhone 3GS from Ebay (I'm assuming the iPhone 4 will still be too expensive used). It's nice that Apple has to come out with a new iPhone every year.

Wow! Maps for $3. They also have a Free version. I dont expect much, but at that price they dont have to do much to impress me.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/ize-ltd/id323114550 As I understand it, A-GPS can work over WiFi, so when WiFi is off how long does it take to lock?

PS: iSuppli says the Broadcom A-GPS is only $1.75.
post #45 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

U.K. retailer John Lewis said the information is based on "noises we're hearing from suppliers," according to electricpig.co.uk. Though no mention was specifically made of a forward-facing camera at the company's presentation in London, it did say that FaceTime calling over Wi-Fi would be possible "so you can communicate with friends at zero cost."

Not necessarily According to the OECD*, their are countries that cap bandwidth on the high-speed internet services. For example, they list Canada, Iceland, Australia, New Zealand, Portugal, Belgium, Luxembourg, United Kingdom, Ireland, Turkey, Slovak Republic, Spain and Hungary that do so now; and a number of other countries are considering to follow.

In Canada, Rogers, as well as all the other ISPs', have a number of high-speed internet plans with capped usages; e.g., Rogers' Ultra-Lite Internet package provides up to 500Kbps download and 2BG/month usage for $28/month; to their Ultimate Internet service with download speed of 50Mbps and 175GB/month of data @ $100/month.†

Obviously, it is important to understand that using FaceTime calling over Wi-Fi at home is on your nickel, i.e., it is not free if you are writing the monthly cheques, and it could be potentially expensive, especially if you have a couple of school age kids using it.

So for some, it begs the question, just how much data is being consumed per minute using FaceTime? Unfortunately, the only information that I have found indicates that it is about 400Kbps using a VGA camera. But nothing absolute.

AT&T has a Data Calculator**, but I don't know if their streaming video calculator could be used to help determine FaceTime calling.

If anybody in the UK has an iPhone 4 and could supply some usage figures, i.e., upload and download, it would be appreciated. It would also be interesting how much data the HD camera consumes.

*OECD Broadband statistics [oecd.org/sti/ict/broadband]
http://www.rogers.com/web/link/hispe...owDefaultPlans
**http://www.att.com/standalone/data-c...tor/index.html
post #46 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Why not add FaceTime to desktop Mac OS X as well? since it is WiFi only anyway - and tons of Macs out there already have built-in camera - would allow video chat with far more folks. Maybe even an option to forward a FaceTime chat request from one device to the other.

I love this idea! I think you could accomplish this fairly easily... I guess we wait for Facetime 2.o
post #47 of 77
this is such a brainless and obvious rumor to come up with.
post #48 of 77
Quote:

Wow! Maps for $3. They also have a Free version. I dont expect much, but at that price they dont have to do much to impress me.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/ize-ltd/id323114550 As I understand it, A-GPS can work over WiFi, so when WiFi is off how long does it take to lock?

The free version doesn't download the maps. $3 isn't bad though, I spent twice that on lunch today! :-)

I tested it with Runkeeper, with the Wifi off, and it still locked on pretty quickly.
post #49 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post

The irony is that Apple painted themselves into a corner by making the iPod Touch so thin. Now, it's impossible for them to put any significant technologies into it without making it thicker again. Again, that goes against their grain. It's un-Apple like to make bigger or thicker.

Yes, this is annoying. Once they've gone in one direction, they refuse to go back. The camera rumored for the iPod touch last year was supposedly cancelled primarily because it wouldn't fit into that thin form factor. Rather than change the form to fit the function, they just dropped the function. Weak.

There's a similar thing with cars. I personally find modern cars have paid far too much attention to aerodynamics. Windshields are damn near horizontal nowadays. But manufacturers won't allow themselves to go back to something more upright. Apparently, they thing changing their minds is a bad thing. People might accuse them of being "retro". The horror.
post #50 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

this is such a brainless and obvious rumor to come up with.

If that is true, then by definition, your comment falls into the same categories.
post #51 of 77
Quote:

Its not the iPhone minus the phone unless it has EVERYTHING EXACTLY like the iPhone 4 has, minus the phone? Is there an app for splitting hairs?

Lets look at what youre arguing. Youre saying the iPod Touch isnt pretty much an iPhone because it doesnt have a gyroscope. Note that they gyroscope only came out with the iPhone 4 and the iPods havent been refreshed yet. When you consider the primary use for the gyroscope it seems very likely that the next Touch will have it.

Then there is the GPS. Do you know how pointless GPS is without local maps Do you know how slow GPS is with assistance? Id like to see this added, too, but Apple doesnt usually add features that cant be used out of the box.

Phones ≠ cameras, but it seems very likely, just like the gyroscope that its coming to the Touch. Not only because of the space found last time but because Apple is pushing FaceTime and the Touch is a way to do that.

So it looks like the only thing youre complaining about is GPS, which still makes little sense as it would require a $50 TomTom or some other App Store purchase just to use it.

Think about it: Who else comes close to offers a smartphone and PMP that are so close together, can use almost all the same apps, can be transitioned between users without them skipping a beat?

Dang, take it and run with it. I certainly don't agree with all of your response. For instance, GPS. Yes, if you want turn-by-turn directions, you'd need the TomTom or other app for that. Of course, there's all kinds of other apps that take advantage of the GPS functionality. And why couldn't performance of GPS be just as fast as normal hand-held GPS units from Garmin, etc.? Those devices don't have a 3G link to assist.

Not sure what you're argument about the gyro is about. Yes, the current touch doesn't have one. But the point is that we're talking about the next generation of touch. It should be made available for the touch.
post #52 of 77
Quote:

Its not the iPhone minus the phone unless it has EVERYTHING EXACTLY like the iPhone 4 has, minus the phone? Is there an app for splitting hairs?

Lets look at what youre arguing. Youre saying the iPod Touch isnt pretty much an iPhone because it doesnt have a gyroscope. Note that they gyroscope only came out with the iPhone 4 and the iPods havent been refreshed yet. When you consider the primary use for the gyroscope it seems very likely that the next Touch will have it.

Phones ≠ cameras, but it seems very likely, just like the gyroscope that its coming to the Touch. Not only because of the space found last time but because Apple is pushing FaceTime and the Touch is a way to do that.

So it looks like the only thing youre complaining about is GPS, which still makes little sense as it would require a $50 TomTom or some other App Store purchase just to use it.

Talk about splitting hairs... Seriously? The point I try to make is to make it the same piece of hardware sans phone and 3G capabilities. Yes, camera will allow Facetime. GPS could be a problem, I guess, without local maps or at least a fast connection. However, Tom Tom seems to have it working on iPod Touch with additional hardware to provide GPS chip...

You really tried to pick it apart to make it look like an iPod Touch is the same thing, but the missing stuff is just niggles. It's not the same thing. It's the same thing minus the phone, 3G, GPS, camera, etc. etc.
post #53 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Yes, this is annoying. Once they've gone in one direction, they refuse to go back. The camera rumored for the iPod touch last year was supposedly cancelled primarily because it wouldn't fit into that thin form factor. Rather than change the form to fit the function, they just dropped the function. Weak.

This can't be a reason since the 2G iPod Touch is thicker than the 1G. And the iPhone 3GS is huge compared to the 1G iPod Touch.
post #54 of 77
Quote:

Not sure what you're argument about the gyro is about. Yes, the current touch doesn't have one. But the point is that we're talking about the next generation of touch. It should be made available for the touch.

That doesn’t fit with his statement of "Wrong... No GPS, no Gyroscope, no camera..” if he’s only talking about the current iPod Touch compared to the iPhone version it’s based. It seems likely the next Touch will get the gyroscope for games and camera for FaceTime, so it’s just the GPS and foolish to complain about Schrödinger's cat being dead before you open the box.
post #55 of 77
Quote:

It makes sense to the millions of people who play golf and consider buying a standalone
golf gps device.
post #56 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

It makes sense to the millions of people who play golf and consider buying a standalone
golf gps device.

Oh, I hope they add it, but this is Apple were talking about and we cant yell FAIL! when they dont do what we want, we need to look at a company from their perspective if were even going to come close to seeing what they might release in the future.

How many components have they added in the past that dont have direct use out of the box? Is the gyroscope one of them or does iOS or its default apps also use that? Id even like GPS in all Mac notebooks for various reasons: HTML5 GeoLocation; timezone location for system time, Dashboard widgets for weather movies, etc.; and Find My Mac in Mobile Me.
post #57 of 77
Quote:

Oh, I hope they add it, but this is Apple we’re talking about and we can’t yell “FAIL!” when they don’t do what we want, we need to look at a company from their perspective if we’re even going to come close to seeing what they might release in the future.

How many components have they added in the past that don’t have direct use out of the box? Is the gyroscope one of them or does iOS or its default apps also use that? I’d even like GPS in all Mac notebooks for various reasons: HTML5 GeoLocation; timezone location for system time, Dashboard widgets for weather movies, etc.; and Find My Mac in Mobile Me.

Who yelled "FAIL!"?
You want GPS in all Mac notebooks and I want GPS in the iPod Touch.
WIth regard to Apple's perspective, a well functioning GPS capability in an
iPod Touch could do to those devices to which I referred the same thing the iPad
is doing to the Kindle. The superior multi-function device at the same (or lower)
price as the single function device wins the market.
post #58 of 77
Quote:

Well, if they also add the rumored camera, there's geotagging the photos you take. I would guess that might be the biggest use of GPS on an iPhone. It's just that people don't notice it because it's buried in the EXIF metadata of their photos. Apple's MacOS photo software also allows you to use a geotagged iPhone photo as a baseline to geotag photos you take with another camera. So a touch with GPS and a camera could also be used for that. (Of course, a slow-start up time for the GPS would frustrate users who just turn on their touch to grab a quick picture.)

And even if you could only use the Maps app when on wifi, it would be useful for it to know where you are. If you are getting directions to someplace, chances are you are leaving from where you are now.
post #59 of 77
Quote:

There should be at least one model of the iPod touch that is exactly the same as the iPhone except for the actual phone features. Everything else should be identical, including the A4 process, the Retina display, GPS, compass, two cameras, gyroscope, accelerometer, etc.

Apple make more money on the iPhone.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #60 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer01 View Post

Considering that the only ipod shown in that slide that already has a camera in is the nano, the slide says 'improved 5m pixel camera'

All speculation anyway, what does John Lewis know?

It's obvious that it's a matter of time before the Touch gets the iPhone features anyway.

Being a billion $ company I'd say they know more than any of us. The probably even get some stuff built in the same factory. Who knows.
post #61 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuchmee View Post

Let's see. . . .the touch is still a member of the iPod family, right? Well, Apple, how about finally addressing music playback sound quality? Radical, huh?

Offer better mid-range and bass, and a user-adjustable equalizer. Not exactly exotic stuff by 2010.

Whoever Apple uses to engineer and QA iPod sound quality is clearly not even remotely an audiophile-in-training. Cupertino's been too stubborn about this for too long.

I think Apple uses the lowest bidder approach to sourcing iPod chips. They seem to think only a tiny minority cares about sound quality and they may be right. Not too long ago the general public was happy downloading 96 kbps MP3 versions of bad rips.

I'm no audiophile. I listen to AAC compressed music using relatively inexpensive Sennheiser ear buds, but I'm not impressed with the sound I get from my iPod. I think an equalizer would help because having one in iTunes makes a big difference.
post #62 of 77
The new iPhones have fantastic sounds. Rich and full is how I would describe it. They must have had it tuned to those new white headsets. I think it sounds fabulous now.

Hopefully, the new iPods will get the same treatment. It's probably a combination of better chipset and better firmware which tunes the output.
post #63 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

What are you talking about?

Skype has been on the iPhone/iPod touch for a long, long time. There are other third-party apps that also feature Skype functionality (Nimbuzz, fring).

There are probably forty or fifty VoIP apps including a bunch of SIP clients which you can use with whatever SIP provider you choose. I use Acrobits Softphone with Gizmo5 SIP on my iPod touch. With Google Voice and push notifications, this has allowed me to make calls back to the United States from abroad.

Skype/VoIP/SIP functionality has been on iOS devices for ages.

Wake up and get with the program, please!

What are you talking about? You are obviously not a Skype user. No push notifications, no background multitasking, no Bluetooth (that part is not their fault) make it a less than stellar phone.
post #64 of 77
@solipsism: You seriously don't think the iPhone is overpriced at $700?

iPod Touch - $200
iPad - $500
iPhone - $700

Uh.... I think the margin must be at least a little fatter on that last one.
post #65 of 77
teckstud must miss the good times
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #66 of 77
Oh boy i want this touch deal sooo bad
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #67 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Well, if they also add the rumored camera, there's geotagging the photos you take. I would guess that might be the biggest use of GPS on an iPhone. It's just that people don't notice it because it's buried in the EXIF metadata of their photos. Apple's MacOS photo software also allows you to use a geotagged iPhone photo as a baseline to geotag photos you take with another camera. So a touch with GPS and a camera could also be used for that. (Of course, a slow-start up time for the GPS would frustrate users who just turn on their touch to grab a quick picture.)

And even if you could only use the Maps app when on wifi, it would be useful for it to know where you are. If you are getting directions to someplace, chances are you are leaving from where you are now.

That sounds useful and marketable but how effective are they? I've seen Eye-Fi for years and never understood the appeal unless your mostly taking pictures in densely populated areas since it requires WiFi to grab your location. I have o wonder if they aren't using GPS because it would take too long to lock on.

Technically speaking, Apple has all the components to allow you to take picture after picture before the GPS lock takes place, with the coordinates then being added after the fact, once a lock has been established and you've left te location.

By that I mean, the compass and accelerometer could used to accurately track your distance between snapshots, then could be used to extrapolate your previous locations and added to the EXIF data.

There are obvious caveats, but perhaps it could ask you to varify or let you alter it with the Maps API right from Photos on the iPod Touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

@solipsism: You seriously don't think the iPhone is overpriced at $700?

iPod Touch - $200
iPad - $500
iPhone - $700

Uh.... I think the margin must be at least a little fatter on that last one.

32GB iPod Touch is $299
32GB iPad WiFi+3G is $729
32GB iPhone is $699

Why did you chose the least expensive models of the first two and the most expensive of the last one while ignoring comparing them as equally as possible, I'll chock up to a simple oversight, not a blatant attempt at fudging the numbers.

So why is the iPhone only $30 less than the iPad. Surely it's larger so it costs more. But wait! In computers it cost money to shrink things. But it's also a new product and Apple may have underpriced it considering how poorly tablets did the decade prior and general lack of need compared to a PC or phone, which are oft considered necessities. In fact, judging by the demand they did price it too low, by $100 on all models.

So why is the iPhone $400 more than the iPod Touch. The cellular and GPS chips in the iPhone account for $130 But wait! Have you seen the iFixit teardowns of each. The iPad looks simple compared to double-stacked silicon in the iPhone. Regardless, that won't account for the other $270.

So let's consider the product types. iPhone is Apple's flagship product while the iPod, even the Touch, is not. It often seems to get cheaper components, like a display that isn't quite as good (though the same resolution).

But none of that is of consequence. The entire iPod line has plateaued, so it can't demand the same profit margin, and it's possible it's used as a gateway to those who are afraid to or can't switch phones and carrier right now, so it's sold at a lower margin to attract people to the iPhone as their next sale.

Companies do this all the time, so I wonder why it's always seen as the iPod Touch being priced "correctly" and the iPhone being priced "incorrectly". There is no universal right or wrong in this case, it's what you are willing to pay or not pay. I returned my iPad because it wasn't right for me and have interest in any iPod anymore. Only the $300 iPhone holds my interest. Surely not the Nexus One. How much are those for 32GB?

Finally, let's not forget th subsidy. You pay the same for data, at least on AT&T, if you paid for your phone upfront or not, so the point is moot for pretty much every iPhone user, at least in the US. I paid the same for my 32GB iPhone as I would have for the 32GB Touch, but I get a phone with data and don't have to carry a separate device.

So how is that is overpriced if the convenience and product is worth the expense to their intended market?

PS: Always remember, it's about supply and demand and each year the iPhone seems to be sold out a lot longer than the iPod Touch.
post #68 of 77
Its about time they updated the Touch. That 8gb model is two years old!
post #69 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new report alleges that Apple's next iPod touch, expected to arrive this September, will have a 5 megapixel camera, capture HD video, feature FaceTime connectivity, and include a gyroscope, like the iPhone 4.

U.K. retailer John Lewis said the information is based on "noises we're hearing from suppliers," according to electricpig.co.uk. Though no mention was specifically made of a forward-facing camera at the company's presentation in London, it did say that FaceTime calling over Wi-Fi would be possible "so you can communicate with friends at zero cost."

The purported details of Apple's new iPod touch were revealed at the John Lewis "Xmas in July" event. The retailer also claimed that the new iPod touch will include a camera flash for improved pictures in the dark, like the iPhone 4. It also said that users would be able to upload their HD videos directly to YouTube from the device, over Wi-Fi.

Finally, John Lewis also said the new iPod touch is expected to include both an accelerometer and a gyroscope. The hardware addition already found in the iPhone 4 allows a new, more precise control method for game titles on the App Store.

The company made no mention whether the iPod touch would receive some of the other additions of the iPhone 4, namely the 640-by-960 pixel Retina Display, or Apple's custom-built A4 processor.

Apple was originally rumored to add a camera to its iPod touch at last year's annual September iPod event, but the feature was allegedly pulled due to bad parts with the camera modules. But the Cupertino, Calif., company did add a video camera to last year's updated iPod nano.

If it comes with a Retina display, I'll probably buy one.
post #70 of 77
@solipsism:

You can pretend you only paid $200 for your iPhone if you like but it's really either $700 or maybe $2600 if you include the AT&T subsidy over two years, take your pick.

No way the cell gps and camera add anywhere near the premium they get over the Touch. Yes I do believe the Touch is priced correctly. If Apple turned it into an IP phone it could rule the world.

Edit: oh and $229 for +16gb +3G on the iPad? Apple knows how to upsell at a very nice margin.
post #71 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriok View Post

I've always wondered how FaceTime would work to devices that doesn't have telephony, such as computers and iPod touches. How does the initiating device know where to call? I thought that FaceTime uses telephony for discovery and handshaking. Does anyone have a good take on this?

Ah! Good question, that...

Think about it. On the iPod Touch, it would probably have links to the upcoming Game Centre (or whatever it's going to be called). So there would probably be an element of Social Networking about it, possibly allied to iChat, and there you have it... FaceTime as a visual, real-time, gaming FaceBook will sweep the floor with the youthful crowd and save their cellular minutes as well by using Wi-Fi / VoIP.

My $0.02.
post #72 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

@solipsism:

You can pretend you only paid $200 for your iPhone if you like but it's really either $700 or maybe $2600 if you include the AT&T subsidy over two years, take your pick.

No way the cell gps and camera add anywhere near the premium they get over the Touch. Yes I do believe the Touch is priced correctly. If Apple turned it into an IP phone it could rule the world.

You still don't understand. In a free market the product's price is base on what the consumer is willing to pay, not what 'a' consumer is willing to pay (because I know right now you what to call people fanboys and iSheep). If suitable competition happens then the price will lower accordingly. Right now, no one is even close to competing with any of markets Apple sells most their HW in. If you think you can do better for less then you have the right to show them up, but otherwise stop your whining. If you hate Capitalism and the free market so much then move somewhere it won't affect you, but we both know that's not what you hate, you hate the companies that are successful AND sell products you secretly want.

BTW, your argument that my carrier cost should be included is so incredibly weak. What other smartphone would be different? How much would my AT&T plan be if I bought at Nexus One at full price plus a slow Class II (2Mb/s) Micro-SD card to put in it? Or any other smartphone or that matter? how about if I then bought an iPod Touch to use alongside that smartphone so I have a decent PMP to use?

Quote:
Edit: oh and $229 for +16gb +3G on the iPad? Apple knows how to upsell at a very nice margin.

Ah, so the original prices you listed were intended and objectivity and fair-mindedness had nothing to do with your post. I think I know Whig poster you used to be now. Ignore list for you.
post #73 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

teckstud must miss the good times

You really think he is not here?
post #74 of 77
Quote:

You still don't understand. In a free market the product's price is base on what the consumer is willing to pay, not what 'a' consumer is willing to pay (because I know right now you what to call people fanboys and iSheep). If suitable competition happens then the price will lower accordingly. Right now, no one is even close to competing with any of markets Apple sells most their HW in. If you think you can do better for less then you have the right to show them up, but otherwise stop your whining. If you hate Capitalism and the free market so much then move somewhere it won't affect you, but we both know that's not what you hate, you hate the companies that are successful AND sell products you secretly want.

This is so far off the mark it's practically funny. How do you jump from my belief that the profit margin on an iPhone is MUCH higher than it is on the iPod Touch that a) I hate capitalism b) what a consumer is willing to pay proves the profit margin is not higher and c) even mentioning any of this means I hate capitalism and should move to Cuba.

Obviously the sales figures and Apple's profits prove that the iPhone is not 'overpriced' above what consumers are willing to pay. But the prices we (happily or reluctantly) pay are a direct result of the hamstrung bent over position the cell phone carriers have put us in. Kindle and the iPad have both shown that 3G data can be uncoupled from the ridiculous voice contract charges the cell companies get away with.

I would love to see the Touch become a VOIP phone feature matched with the iPhone. Apple probably has more of a chance to pull off a truly disruptive game changer for that industry than anyone.

Quote:

BTW, your argument that my carrier cost should be included is so incredibly weak. What other smartphone would be different? How much would my AT&T plan be if I bought at Nexus One at full price plus a slow Class II (2Mb/s) Micro-SD card to put in it? Or any other smartphone or that matter? how about if I then bought an iPod Touch to use alongside that smartphone so I have a decent PMP to use?

Your mother would say: "If your friends jumped off a cliff to their death, does that mean you should too?" Just because the other cell companies also rip us off with alacrity doesn't mean we're paying a fair price.
post #75 of 77
@solipsism one more time:

Funny your sig riffs on Godwin's Law. As a relative newbie here, I'll put forth one for you:

iGuessSo's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving TekStud approaches 1."
post #76 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabsgwu View Post

It would be awesome to see future MacBooks integrate an A4 processor and iOS side-by-side with OSX. The benefit would be an instant-on browsing/App experience for when full OSX is overkill. This could mean ridiculous battery life and further integration with iPhone/iPod.

I don't want to run iPhone/iPad apps on a MacBook. You would not get "ridiculous" battery life when you are still powering a hard drive and much larger display. If you want instant-on browsing/app experience, maybe you should learn about the Sleep feature of the Mac and MacBook. Waking from Sleep provides the same instant-on browsing/app experience too.
post #77 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

I agree... Make it an iPhone without the phone part. Wouldn't that just be simpler? I know it would make everyone that buys them happy.

What about an iPod touch with all the enmities of the iPad plus A4 processor, the Retina display, GPS, compass, two cameras, gyroscope, accelerometer, etc. for face time. This way you can have WiFi and 3G without a voice contract, only a data plan. Then add in your favorite VoIP app and your all good. I currently use Whistle on my iPad and it works great on WiFi and 3G.

2 cents
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple's new iPod touch rumored to have 5MP camera, FaceTime