or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nokia turns to Russian police to recover lost prototype smartphone

Nokia turns to Russian police to recover lost prototype smartphone

post #1 of 45
In a move similar to the ongoing investigation of a "missing" iPhone 4 unit involving Apple and Gizmodo, Nokia has contacted Russian police in an effort to regain a prototype smartphone from a blogger who leaked details of the device.

The Wall Street Journal published a report this week detailing Nokia's attempts to recover a prototype N8 smartphone from Russian blogger Eldar Murtazin. In April, the Moscow-based blogger published a preview on his blog Mobile Review, critiquing the handset a day before Nokia officially announced the device, due to be released in the third quarter of this year.

The Finland-based communications company turned to the police after its requests to Murtazin for the return of the device went unanswered.

According to the Journal, Murtazin claimed in an interview that he "was given the prototype by a source he declined to identify." He has claimed he attempted to contact Nokia in recent months, but no longer has the phone in his possession.

"I can never give back to Nokia anything I don't have," he reportedly said.

The blogger also denied that he had worked as a consultant for Samsung, a claim that Nokia made on its corporate blog. Murtazin said he was "contacted Wednesday by the Russian Interior Ministry's economic-crimes department" and had agreed with officials on Friday.

The incident closely mirrors a recent dispute between Apple and the technology blog Gizmodo over a lost iPhone 4 prototype. In April, Jason Chen, an editor for Gizmodo, published pictures and details confirming the design and specs of the then unreleased iPhone 4.

It was later revealed that the blog, owned by Gawker Media, had paid $5,000 for an exclusive hands-on look at the hardware. A week after the leak, California authorities seized several computers and servers from Chen's residence.

In both the Nokia and Apple incidents, the corporations have publicly highlighted their efforts to retrieve the prototypes and resorted to legal and official channels to continue their quest, while the bloggers assert that they made numerous attempts to return the devices to the companies. Although both investigations are ongoing, they have ignited controversy online and in the press, with many analysts viewing the resolution as having broad implications for journalists and bloggers alike.

Speaking on the Gizmodo incident at the All Things D conference in early June, Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said some people advised him to take no action in the incident. But Jobs said he feels as though Apple would not be the same company, and he would not be the same person, if he were to let such incidents occur without recourse. Jobs, at the conference, asserted that the prototype was stolen, and Gizmodo engaged in extortion in returning the device to Apple.

"I thought deeply about this, and I ended up concluding that the worst thing that could possibly happen as we get big and we get a little more influence in the world is if we change our core values and start letting it slide," Jobs said. "I can't do that. I'd rather quit."
post #2 of 45
The difference, of course, is that 'innovation' in the Nokia sense probably means that it was the same, old clunky phone as the previous one but they painted it yellow instead of blue.

It's hard to be impressed with what passes for innovation at Nokia.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #3 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The difference, of course, is that 'innovation' in the Nokia sense probably means that it was the same, old clunky phone as the previous one but they painted it yellow instead of blue.

Sometimes I hope Nokia could stop "innovating", because their version of innovating really is just putting things in different places.

I have 2 Nokia dumb phones, and software on both of them are totally different for no good reason.
post #4 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Why not click on the link and view the pictures?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #5 of 45
Lol NOKIA.
post #6 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... In both the Nokia and Apple incidents, the corporations have publicly highlighted their efforts to retrieve the prototypes and resorted to legal and official channels to continue their quest, while the bloggers assert that they made numerous attempts to return the devices to the companies. ...

Should you really be publishing this when it's been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that it isn't actually true in the Gizmodo case?

Sure, that's what Gizmodo and the guy that stole the phone *said*, but it's already been proven to be a lie. Why confuse the issue and compound the rumors and bad feelings by repeating something that is known to be false?
post #7 of 45
Well, this news had me checking out what the heck N8 was, so good move Nokia. Too bad your demo movie was a bit... eh... what's the word? The opposite of smooth and snappy? Symbian! Yeah, that's the word.. I guess..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrXHXin9Iio
post #8 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I did.

It came out in 2005. They took the zero off the N80.
post #9 of 45
In America, when you lose a phone you call the police. In Russia, when you find a phone the police lose YOU! What a country.
post #10 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Should you really be publishing this when it's been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that it isn't actually true in the Gizmodo case?

Sure, that's what Gizmodo and the guy that stole the phone *said*, but it's already been proven to be a lie. Why confuse the issue and compound the rumors and bad feelings by repeating something that is known to be false?

Exactly. With the iPhone prototype there was never any effort made to contact Apple. The first story was that he had tried to contact Apple, but after he was busted, his official statement from his attorney was that "one of his friends offered to call AppleCare". There was no mention if that friend ever made the call, meaning the chances it actually happened are slim to nil.
post #11 of 45
Come on ! NOKIA , dont joke the world with your crap prototype smartphone...nobody will be interested to see ...
post #12 of 45
How far the mighty has fallen!!!!!!!!
post #13 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

In America, when you lose a phone you call the police. In Russia, when you find a phone the police lose YOU! What a country.

Hmm. While I appreciate the somewhat stale humor, at this point of time I see no difference in the police actions in the US and Russia.

As for that Russian blogger, I seem to remember him involved in some other obscure phone-related scandals over the years, and bickering with other phone-related bloggers.
post #14 of 45
The irony of the Finns asking the Russians for help!
post #15 of 45
looks like a Palm PDA of the '90's. No thanks Nokia and many thanks to Apple!
post #16 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I agree with your comment, he was spot on with his comment, since when I looked at the Nokia 'new' smartphone, it was the same old same old. Nothing new in terms of design and would not cause me to drop my iPhone 3GS and buy new phone, when it is released in India.
post #17 of 45
First of alll, he is not a blogger, he is a journalist. Both he and Nokia had good relationships till recent time. Murtazin was disappointed with the quality and features Nokia's latest phone. He wrote quite aggressive review of N8 smartphone. The review was the last straw that broke the camel's back and the both side started arguing.

The fun part of the story is that Nokia doesn't know what equipment Murtazin has got. No one of N8 has been stolen
American centrism dominates 50% of the population here. That half don't think outside the box ... or perhaps just don't think. © digitalclips
American centrism dominates 50% of the population here. That half don't think outside the box ... or perhaps just don't think. © digitalclips
post #18 of 45
What? No Russian knockoff of Gizmodo?

Das Gizmodo?
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #19 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

Just what I was thinking.

Anyone want to place bets that when Nokia's phone reappears Eldar Murtazin will be the one missing?

Although it might take Russian police a little while to get to this one. They've got ten busted spies to "process" first....
post #20 of 45
More Finnish angst.
post #21 of 45
In Soviet Russia, Nokia smartphone steals you!

(Sorry, I just had to do it... )

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

post #22 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Wall Street Journal published a report this week detailing Nokia's attempts to recover a prototype N8 smartphone from Russian blogger Eldar Murtazin. In April, the Moscow-based blogger published a preview on his blog Mobile Review, critiquing the handset a day before Nokia officially announced the device, due to be released in the third quarter of this year.

A month before Murtazin's review another site posted preview of N8. No legal action has been taken against the site yet.
post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by gin_tonic View Post

First of alll, he is not a blogger, he is a journalist. Both he and Nokia had good relationships till recent time. Murtazin was disappointed with the quality and features Nokia's latest phone. He wrote quite aggressive review of N8 smartphone. The review was the last straw that broke the camel's back and the both side started arguing.

That's not true. Eldar has been reviewing stolen prototypes for years.

He used to spin all of his reviews with a massively pro-Nokia bias. Eventually, Nokia took notice that he was using stolen prototypes and tried to take action against him. Once that happened, Eldar swung wildly in the other way, into his current strong anti-Nokia reviewing bias.

He's always been a thieving scumbag.
post #24 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

That's not true. Eldar has been reviewing stolen prototypes for years.

Really? And you can prove it?
Can you explain how the man who reviews stolen phones is invited to almost all mobile phone presentation in Russia?
post #25 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Eldar swung wildly in the other way, into his current strong anti-Nokia reviewing bias.

He swung before the review and this caused the current fight.

Do you speak Russian? Can you read all the reviews at MR site?
post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Well, this news had me checking out what the heck N8 was, so good move Nokia. Too bad your demo movie was a bit... eh... what's the word? The opposite of smooth and snappy? Symbian! Yeah, that's the word.. I guess..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrXHXin9Iio

After watching the video, I don't think the phone looks too exciting, but I have a strange urge to go disco dancing.
post #27 of 45
I had a VCR in the 80s that had a better looking interface. Maybe they stole it to make fun of it.
post #28 of 45
Staged. They think that the 1.7 million iPhone 4s sold in the first weekend are a result of the Gizmodo leaks. Show your sisu, Nokia, and admit that you've been beaten in the smartphone world.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #29 of 45
Where're the outraged trolls calling for Nokia's head for being "arrogant" and "paranoid."
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #30 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Where're the outraged trolls calling for Nokia's head for being "arrogant" and "paranoid."

: Why?
: Nokia can do it, but Apple cannot?
: Because it makes apple lose its cool, that is why.
post #31 of 45
In Soviet Russia, phone steals YOU!

Thank you, thank you... I'll be here all week!
post #32 of 45
Apples vs Oranges right?
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkid View Post

In Soviet Russia, phone steals YOU!

Soviet Russia ended in 1989.

MAFIA Russia started up right after...
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

What? No Russian knockoff of Gizmodo?

Das Gizmodo?

I think that would be Гызмодо using Cyrillic.

Quote:

I can but chose not to because I really don't necessarily care if he's biased one way or another. It's not even relevant after seeing what is alleged to be the "stolen prototype". Still thinking Nokia is trying to stir up interest for their crappy phone because if that's what it is, God it looks dreadful.

How the mighty have fallen indeed.
post #35 of 45
first, microsoft trains its employees to spontaneously line dance and now this?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickwalker View Post

I think that would be Гызмодо using Cyrillic.

Not quite correct. It would be Гизмодо
post #37 of 45
This is their attempt in trying to get a reality show. What a lame excuse. No?

Nokia- The Wannabes.
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlink View Post

The irony of the Finns asking the Russians for help!

I'm Finnish, yet I fail to see the irony.
post #39 of 45
Quote:

Not quite correct. It would be Гизмодо

My version (Гызмодо) would sound more marketable in Russia. Most non-Russians can't do yerih for squat.
post #40 of 45
Quote:

Really? And you can prove it?
Can you explain how the man who reviews stolen phones is invited to almost all mobile phone presentation in Russia?

Nope, can't prove it publicly. However, I know people who work and have worked for Nokia, Sony Ericsson and various other high profile manufacturers. They tell me that his early reviews are not authorised. He's not the only one doing it as well.

As I said, whilst his reviews remained positive and he didn't leak anything too early, he was tolerated. Just like Apple tolerates some leaks and not others.

Quote:

Google translate is your friend. Many of his reviews are translated into English by humans too.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nokia turns to Russian police to recover lost prototype smartphone