or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Viewing videos embedded in PDF on iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Viewing videos embedded in PDF on iPad

post #1 of 41
Thread Starter 
I embedded a video and link to a website in a .pdf file. I converted the .pdf to a .epub for iBook, but I can't view the video or click the link in iBook. What's the solution?
post #2 of 41
How does it work if you placed the PDF file directly into iBooks without any conversion?
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
Reply
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
Reply
post #3 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresee View Post

How does it work if you placed the PDF file directly into iBooks without any conversion?

It doesn't work. iBook can only recognize .epub files to my understanding.
post #4 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCorn View Post

It doesn't work. iBook can only recognize .epub files to my understanding.

Update iBooks to v 1.1, it reads PDFs.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #5 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Update iBooks to v 1.1, it reads PDFs.

Updated. Didn't help. Issue still stands.
post #6 of 41
I've never tried to imbed a video in a PDF (to be honest, I didn't even know it was possible), but if I was determined to make this work I'd probably try different types of video.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #7 of 41
I'm not positive, but I think embedded media is part of the current PDF spec which Adobe has not released into the open yet.

Adobe holds onto the newest most advanced version to make a business case for it's Acrobat Pro line. They will publish the current spec as an update to the Open PDF Standard when they feel they have wrung out enough $$ from it. There are also all kinds of security problems in Acrobat related to the embedded media. Enough that several weeks ago Adobe published steps to configure Acrobat Pro to reduce the vulnerabilities.
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #8 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

I'm not positive, but I think embedded media is part of the current PDF spec which Adobe has not released into the open yet.

Adobe holds onto the newest most advanced version to make a business case for it's Acrobat Pro line. They will publish the current spec as an update to the Open PDF Standard when they feel they have wrung out enough $$ from it. There are also all kinds of security problems in Acrobat related to the embedded media. Enough that several weeks ago Adobe published steps to configure Acrobat Pro to reduce the vulnerabilities.

That being said...what's the best way for me to amalgamate the information contained within my .pdf and a video file? I tried converting the .pdf to .html and then inserting the code for a video manually, but the .pdf loses some of its formatting when being converted to .html, and I can't have that.
post #9 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCorn View Post

That being said...what's the best way for me to amalgamate the information contained within my .pdf and a video file? I tried converting the .pdf to .html and then inserting the code for a video manually, but the .pdf loses some of its formatting when being converted to .html, and I can't have that.

A Keynote presentation saved to Quicktime?
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #10 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

A Keynote presentation saved to Quicktime?

Not using a MAC, no keynote.

Basically what I'm trying to accomplish is that I have a .pdf file, and I want to some how replace a picture in the file with a clickable video. And then somehow be able to view this on the iPad, ideally through one of their free pdf viewers.
post #11 of 41
I've never seen any PDF with a clickable imbedded video. If you could direct me to one, I'd like to see it.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #12 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I've never seen any PDF with a clickable imbedded video. If you could direct me to one, I'd like to see it.

Voila (I put this up as a test). http://chronicle.ca/ipadtest2.pdf
post #13 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCorn View Post

Voila (I put this up as a test). http://chronicle.ca/ipadtest2.pdf

Thanks. FWIW, the video does not play in Preview on the Mac, but it does in Adobe Reader. So as was suggested above, this feature appears to be currently proprietary to Adobe products.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #14 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Thanks. FWIW, the video does not play in Preview on the Mac, but it does in Adobe Reader. So as was suggested above, this feature appears to be currently proprietary to Adobe products.

I can play it straight from my PC's browser...don't have to save the file to open it with adobe (so I'm not sure what you mean by proprietary to adobe products). Anyways, however, when I try the url on iPad's Safari, I can see the pdf file, but the video isn't present.
post #15 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCorn View Post

I can play it straight from my PC's browser...don't have to save the file to open it with adobe (so I'm not sure what you mean by proprietary to adobe products). Anyways, however, when I try the url on iPad's Safari, I can see the pdf file, but the video isn't present.

Which means you are opening it via the Adobe Acrobat Reader browser plugin. A proprietary Adobe product.

The Safari default is to use Preview, which is not owned or produced by Adobe. And Preview, or any other non-Adobe PDF viewer, is prevented from using all the current PDF functionality because Adobe hasn't made that part of the standard available to anyone else yet.
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #16 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Which means you are opening it via the Adobe Acrobat Reader browser plugin. A proprietary Adobe product.

The Safari default is to use Preview, which is not owned or produced by Adobe. And Preview, or any other non-Adobe PDF viewer, is prevented from using all the current PDF functionality because Adobe hasn't made that part of the standard available to anyone else yet.

Is there some other more public file format I can convert the file to without losing any formatting?
post #17 of 41
Don't know, sorry.
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #18 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCorn View Post

Is there some other more public file format I can convert the file to without losing any formatting?

All you have to do is to download and install Adobe Reader. This will automatically install the AdobePDFViewer.plugin Internet Plug-in. Switch your PDF viewer to Adobe Reader.
post #19 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

All you have to do is to download and install Adobe Reader. This will automatically install the AdobePDFViewer.plugin Internet Plug-in. Switch your PDF viewer to Adobe Reader.

Don't think that's available for the iPad...
post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCorn View Post

Don't think that's available for the iPad...

You're correct. This means that you are SOL.
post #21 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

You're correct. This means that you are SOL.

Which is why I'm looking for a less proprietary format other than .pdf...
post #22 of 41
We have product brochures that are in PDF format (but we'll gladly switch to another, if necessary) that contain some embedded video of some of the procedures used with our products. Note: The video works fine separately (mp4 format), and the pdf works fine separately (pdf format, duh )

We haven't found a way to gracefully display any of these images with the Ipad. Currently, users have to bring up the PDF, then switch out of the application (Currently, goodreader) then find and click the video.

I find it interesting that these devices can't seem to support any sort of embedded video - I'm completely open to workarounds, but I haven't found any that seem to work correctly. A key component is that integration between text and the corresponding video is seamless.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or alternate ideas? I'm about to look at a powerpoint / keynote solution and see if I can't get that to work properly...
post #23 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelnavco View Post

We have product brochures that are in PDF format (but we'll gladly switch to another, if necessary) that contain some embedded video of some of the procedures used with our products. Note: The video works fine separately (mp4 format), and the pdf works fine separately (pdf format, duh )

We haven't found a way to gracefully display any of these images with the Ipad. Currently, users have to bring up the PDF, then switch out of the application (Currently, goodreader) then find and click the video.

I find it interesting that these devices can't seem to support any sort of embedded video - I'm completely open to workarounds, but I haven't found any that seem to work correctly. A key component is that integration between text and the corresponding video is seamless.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or alternate ideas? I'm about to look at a powerpoint / keynote solution and see if I can't get that to work properly...

If you are creating documentation, use HTML and linked H.264 video. Just serve the page elements rather than trying to serve a PDF. You don't need an elaborate page. It is Adobe that is holding the PDF embedded video back, so just end run them. I think that was a bit of overkill for the OP, but in your case it seems like it could be a good choice.
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #24 of 41
Apparently the new version of iBooks just released a few days ago supports embedded video. Perhaps you could use software such as Calibre to convert to epub, and it will retain the video.
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxkslash View Post

well, why you embeded a video in pdf document? i never thought it, it's really odd. but hope you can find a good solution

I must agree with you. Embedded video is going very far afield of the original mission of the PDF format. These "enhancements" to the format are turning it into a bloated mess.
post #26 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

I must agree with you. Embedded video is going very far afield of the original mission of the PDF format. These "enhancements" to the format are turning it into a bloated mess.

They are also a very serious security vulnerability, in Adobes own words...
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

If you are creating documentation, use HTML and linked H.264 video. Just serve the page elements rather than trying to serve a PDF. You don't need an elaborate page. It is Adobe that is holding the PDF embedded video back, so just end run them. I think that was a bit of overkill for the OP, but in your case it seems like it could be a good choice.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. If you're looking at synchronising text and video, well, now is the time to figure that out with HTML and H.264.

On the other hand, if you are targeting iPad exclusively then definitely check out Keynote presentation playback on an iPad. I haven't tested it yet myself though.
post #28 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Apparently the new version of iBooks just released a few days ago supports embedded video. Perhaps you could use software such as Calibre to convert to epub, and it will retain the video.

I heard about this update and got really excited, but for some reason I can't get any files (neither .pdf nor .epub) from itunes to my ipad to work on ibooks. All I can see in my library is that stupid winnie the pooh book. Anyone else experiencing this problem? Solutions?
post #29 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCorn View Post

I heard about this update and got really excited, but for some reason I can't get any files (neither .pdf nor .epub) from itunes to my ipad to work on ibooks. All I can see in my library is that stupid winnie the pooh book. Anyone else experiencing this problem? Solutions?

My reading (without testing) is that the newest version of iBooks supports embedded video, but not necessarily in PDF books. You add books by dragging them into iTunes.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #30 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCorn View Post

I heard about this update and got really excited, but for some reason I can't get any files (neither .pdf nor .epub) from itunes to my ipad to work on ibooks. All I can see in my library is that stupid winnie the pooh book. Anyone else experiencing this problem? Solutions?

There should be a widget someplace that swaps you over to the PDF shelf. They are separate IIRC.
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #31 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

There should be a widget someplace that swaps you over to the PDF shelf. They are separate IIRC.

Figured it out. It's still lame that video embedded in a pdf cant be viewed thru ibooks. Who the fudge cares about video in epubs, pdfs where its at.
post #32 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCorn View Post

Figured it out. It's still lame that video embedded in a pdf cant be viewed thru ibooks. Who the fudge cares about video in epubs, pdfs where its at.

Don't blame it on Apple.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #33 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCorn View Post

I embedded a video and link to a website in a .pdf file. I converted the .pdf to a .epub for iBook, but I can't view the video or click the link in iBook. What's the solution?

Hello,
I have read all the discussion here. I have the same problem and wondering whether you found any solution to view videos embedded in PDF file on Ipad. I have lots of pdf files and related videos. I used Adobe Pro to embed video files in pdf.
Have you got any other idea apart from the ones discussed here before?
Thanks
post #34 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by han11 View Post

Hello,
I have read all the discussion here. I have the same problem and wondering whether you found any solution to view videos embedded in PDF file on Ipad. I have lots of pdf files and related videos. I used Adobe Pro to embed video files in pdf.
Have you got any other idea apart from the ones discussed here before?
Thanks

There isn't a solution because it isn't legal for anyone other then Adobe to do it yet. Adobe has not released that part of the PDF spec into the open standards community yet.

I hope you also know there are some very serious PDF vulnerabilities when you embed multimedia into PDFs. PDFs are mostly great for static documents, not very great when you consider Adobe's track record on security.

I suggest you look for alternate ways to do whatever you are doing with embedding because there is no guarantee when Adobe will make it available as part of the open standard, nor when they will really figure out how to allow a program to run another program without allowing a third program to run too. That is a flat out security nightmare.
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #35 of 41
Right now Adobe is saying they have to be swf or flash file which we all know don't work on iOS. Anyone find a solution to videos embedded in PDFs that are viewable on iOS devices?

Seemed like there was no clear answer at Adobe MAX 2011 other than to include a link to a microsite which is no good if you don't have a connection.

Thanks, Bud
post #36 of 41
Read up one post. The world hasn't changed yet.

And I still think it is a very bad idea to do that. I can't think of a reason to do that which wouldn't be better handled in other less risky and more cross platform compatible ways.
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Read up one post. The world hasn't changed yet.

And I still think it is a very bad idea to do that. I can't think of a reason to do that which wouldn't be better handled in other less risky and more cross platform compatible ways.

What are you talking about?
post #38 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudCasanova View Post

What are you talking about?

Exactly what I said. Look up one post from your (#35), post 34 to be exact. The reasons from 6 months ago are still valid.

The Adobe PDF extensions that include the embedding are still proprietary. So it is not legal for anyone other than Adobe to embed video into PDFs.

Adobe has plugged a couple of the publicly identified security holes but not all of them and the overall architecture of embedding begs for malware abuse unless the code is airtight. Seeing as it has been established the code isn't airtight, I am still leery of PDF embedding in Adobe's PDF software despite the patches they have pushed.
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #39 of 41

I'm certainly no expert but came across this http://blogs.creative-jar.com/post/My-ordeal-with-the-iPad2c-iBooks-and-video-embedding.aspx

 

You may find it useful.

post #40 of 41

get iBooks Author free from the mac app store, it allows you to make iBooks and embed video and other media

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Viewing videos embedded in PDF on iPad