Originally Posted by xsu
Still don't understand why people are all hyped up about Apple needing to issue a recall. Recall are for products that you can't return, like cars where there's no return policy, or products way pass the return period. This problem is well known enough that most if not all buyers should know about it already, and since its still well within 30 day return period, anybody disatisfied should simply return it. No need for Apple to do anything other than waive the restocking fee if it exist.
Really people, this antenna issue is over hyped to the nth degree. Some phone gets better range and some phone gets worse range, it's as normal as there are cars with different mileage. You don't see people clamoring for recalling a car because it gets worse mileage when loaded to capacity, do you?
I don't believe it is only an issue on selected ip4's, because I have been able to duplicate it on every ip4 I've seen here in my office (granted, I've only seen 3 or 4, but all had the problem under identical locations). That seems to indicate that, when tested in similar circumstances, you can probably get every one of them to drop reception, or at least drop downloading speed (which is what annoys me the most - I don't make enough calls to be able to respond definitively on the call-dropping issue).
If it takes a recall for Jobs to retool the assembly line, coating the antenna, or changing its design, then this is how it must be. Call it what you may, but buying a $600 (subsidized) computer, and locking yourself into another 2 years of roughly $100/month is not trivial, when you may be stuck with a model that has little resale value down the road - that is why I returned mine after 3 weeks of constant reception problems. I like the fact that my 3G phone was still highly valued, even after almost 2 years of use, and I was able to get a reasonable $220 resale on ebay (now I had to buy a 3Gs to have an iPhone again, but the 3Gs is even better, and has held its value well. What I don't want to happen is to be stuck after 30 days with this version 1 of iPhone4, which could be labeled as the Edsel of iPhones, and which I may have to virtually give away 2 years hence. Therefore, I took my iP4 back, but will return post haste once version 2 comes out with a viable antenna fix, and confirmed as such (I would imagine that testing labs will be all over this one quickly, so won't have to wait long for a definitive answer).
My contract with ATT is up in September, so I can afford to wait, now that I have gone back to an excellent 3Gs I bought on ebay (cost me a net $50 more to upgrade from my old 3G to this 3Gs, and, even though it cost me some time and energy, I consider it worth the effort, even if my portfolio of Apple stock has taken a hit (I think this will shortly remedy itself, but who knows when?)