or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 4 antenna fix could impact Apple's operating income by 1%
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone 4 antenna fix could impact Apple's operating income by 1% - Page 2

post #41 of 99
Does anyone read what they type?
"not lose site of the forest for the trees"
Site -> sight
Spelling checkers are no replacement for intelligence.
post #42 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Have you bought options betting that Apple stock will fall or is that just another FUDster shooting off his mouth?



It's Munster. It would actually be news if it DID make sense.



That's exactly what all the whiners are missing. Apple has to first find the source of the problem. Sorting through all the anecdotal reports (as well as all the 'reports' from people who don't even own an iPhone) takes time.

Then, they have to find a solution. There's no magic wand, no matter how much idiot analysts wish there were.

THEN, they have to get FCC approval - which is likely to take weeks - at least.

Then they can start to implement it.

All the people screaming that Apple has to do something NOW obviously have no clue what they're talking about. You can't fix a problem until you've identified it and cleared the solution through appropriate authorities.

Does it take FCC approval to provide an OS patch? Just asking.
post #43 of 99
If you do not like your iphone 4, stop your complaining and take it back for a refund. Use the money for a KIN or the other loser phone the droid.
post #44 of 99
There will be NO recall.


If you don't like the phone, RETURN IT.
post #45 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

All the people screaming that Apple has to do something NOW obviously have no clue what they're talking about. You can't fix a problem until you've identified it and cleared the solution through appropriate authorities.

What they have to do NOW is acknowledge that they have a problem and make clear will be addressed. What they have to do NOW is get ahead of the bad PR curve.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #46 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrisar View Post

The antenna is not the issue. Not any more.
The ATTITUDE has become the problem

My guess? The stock will reach 151 well before it reaches 351


-----
My guess is that the stock will be at $325-$360 before the end of the year. This reception issue is really a non-issue. Jobs is just going to give the complainers a free bumper (cost to AAPL around $1-2m) and the problem is solved.

My Iphone4 works perfect. I dont know one person that has this problem. I wonder what the really percentage is of people that have a reception issue. Maybe 10-15% ????
post #47 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrisar View Post

The antenna is not the issue. Not any more.
The ATTITUDE has become the problem

My guess? The stock will reach 151 well before it reaches 351

You are 100% correct. In fact, it reached 151 about a year ago, which, I think we can all agree is well before it reaches 351.
post #48 of 99
People need to take a zanax and realize that every piece of new hardware that any company manufactures will possibly have a flaw of some sort, just like an OS. Things can slip through the cracks from time to time. I am a firm supporter of not buying first gen of any new hardware. Wait till ver2.0 or maybe 3 so the bugs etc get found and fixed. I am debating on jumping back into getting a cell phone as I do not currently own one, so I will just sit back and wait for the dust to settle.
post #49 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

That's one of the first reports written by Munster that actually makes some sense.

I think the time might be right for Apple to either give away a bumper, or at least drop the price, just to make the issue go away.

Frankly, I'm sick of hearing about it.

Really? If you compare his estimates to EVERY other analyst you'd be hard pressed to name one with a better track record. Can you? Waiting...
post #50 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Why in the world is anyone paying any attention to Munster? Has he EVER been right about Apple?

Is he also as bad a speller as the authors here?

Quote:
"not lose site of the forest for the trees"

You're kidding, right? Site?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #51 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunk View Post

Does anyone read what they type?
"not lose site of the forest for the trees"
Site -> sight
Spelling checkers are no replacement for intelligence.

Aww... You beat me to it.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #52 of 99
I wonder why the subject of the millions of loyal Apple customers who are still waiting to order their White iPhone 4s never comes up in any of these sales projection discussions?

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply
post #53 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

I'm all for Apple making a success of the iPhone 4. However, if Apple does nothing and merely let's "demand for the product speak for itself", then I will be very disappointed in the company when law suits are the only way to get the problem addressed.

"LAWSUITS THE ONLY WAY"???OMG..have you ever heard of RETURNING IT? Apple will give you a full refund even after playing with it for 30 days. Good lord.
post #54 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesw View Post

There will be NO recall.


If you don't like the phone, RETURN IT.

Demand Apple bring back Field Test Mode in the next iOS 4 update.
post #55 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_JT View Post

Awfully certain of you. Work for Apple do you?

As an aside, I'm willing to bet people who return this phone won't be because they "don't like" the phone. That's inaccurate and not explicit enough. It's because it has a SHITTY ANTENNA for natural left hand use.


RETURN THE PHONE. period.
post #56 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsm View Post

"LAWSUITS THE ONLY WAY"???OMG..have you ever heard of RETURNING IT? Apple will give you a full refund even after playing with it for 30 days. Good lord.

Waste of time. It's much better if Apple merely behaves responsibly.
post #57 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_JT View Post

Awfully certain of you. Work for Apple do you?

As an aside, I'm willing to bet people who return this phone won't be because they "don't like" the phone. That's inaccurate and not explicit enough. It's because it has a SHITTY ANTENNA for natural left hand use.

Fine, if they can't wait for a software fix then return the phone and stop winning. Leave the rest of us who love the phone alone.

This is a non issue and will be resolved by a software update. There will be no recalls and no design change to the iPhone 4.

Deal with it.

Time will tell
post #58 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Fine, if they can't wait for a software fix then return the phone and stop winning. Leave the rest of us who love the phone alone.

This is a non issue and will be resolved by a software update. There will be no recalls and no design change to the iPhone 4.

Deal with it.

Time will tell


90% of the people bitching about this are jealous android trolls.
post #59 of 99
It's good to see old Gene pulling that 25% figure out his rectum. Typical Munster, he never disappoints in keeping up with his low standards.
post #60 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Posts quoting Gene Munster really belong on the Backpage Blog based on his track record.

Same with articles quoting Shaw Wu and Katy Huberty.

Best post ever.....
post #61 of 99
I wonder if Apple hadn't gone exclusively with AT&T in the first place if this would even be an issue. The antenna on the outside design seems to have been made to make up for AT&T's sub par network. If the iPhone had been put on a different, better network, would Apple have felt the necessity of engineering the antenna in this way?
post #62 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadash View Post

I wonder if Apple hadn't gone exclusively with AT&T in the first place if this would even be an issue. The antenna on the outside design seems to have been made to make up for AT&T's sub par network. If the iPhone had been put on a different, better network, would Apple have felt the necessity of engineering the antenna in this way?

Thinness was also an issue, so they could say we have the thinnest phone. that said you are making a very good point, surely this must have been a consideration too.
post #63 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadash View Post

I wonder if Apple hadn't gone exclusively with AT&T in the first place if this would even be an issue. The antenna on the outside design seems to have been made to make up for AT&T's sub par network. If the iPhone had been put on a different, better network, would Apple have felt the necessity of engineering the antenna in this way?

There is nothing wrong with the design per se or the reason for doing it. The problem comes in with the execution of the design. You have two different antennas being grounded by the human body. Apple could have alleviated this problem with a clear coating on the exposed metal. End of problem.
post #64 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_JT View Post

What the hell... "software fix"...

"non issue"

Enjoy sucking Steve Jobs off much?

Seriously, there's a difference between "software fix" and "hardware fix". The antenna deficiency for left hand use will NOT be resolved by this. At best the software "fix" will make the signal drops significantly more pronounced when held in the left hand in a bad signal area. APPLE NEED TO ADDRESS THE HARDWARE. People stop blindly defending this. You're just sheep and deserve scorn.

Spot on. You can easily spot the Steve Jobs pants dwellers from the the non-kool aid drinkers. The software issue was a bone thrown out to placate the unknowing masses until all of the lab reports started coming in. Now Apple is in deep doo-doo for lying and for having a faulty design.
post #65 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesw View Post

There will be NO recall.


If you don't like the phone, RETURN IT.

end of discussion.
post #66 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Ultimately we believe this PR black eye takes away from near-term upside potential to our iPhone estimates, but it does not change the long-term trajectory of the iPhone," Munster wrote. "While the issue has gained significant traction in the press, the reality is we estimate this problem periodically affects 25% of iPhone 4 users given the fix is easy (a case for the iPhone), and 75% of customer choose to use a case anyway."

Wu is stupid. The whole point here is those 25% don't like using cases. So to sort-of-fix-the-phone they have to use a case, which they don't like to do. That covers up the issue, but they don't even want to use a case. The idea is you actually fix the phone, by doing a slight-redesign to the antenna. Not cases.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #67 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesw View Post

end of discussion.

What discussion. The people who are defending Apple are doing more giving out. Are you saying Apple's investors are happy with that?
Quote:
"If you don't want to put up with this design flaw that affects users who don't like cases, give the phone back" ?

That's not the best business acumen.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #68 of 99
Look it's not like other computer companies don't have problems. A lot of them take time to respond; same with Apple. People are so obsessed at Apple's faults. Why don't you take a look at these other companies and ask them to come out with some true iPhone killers instead of slamming Android onto 3rd rate hardware. Apple are not gods, but they know what there doing. Seriously what happened to the other computer companies? Oh yeah, Bill Gates happened, thanks for the clones.
post #69 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That's not the best business acumen.


thats not for you to decide.
post #70 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Wu is stupid. The whole point here is those 25% don't like using cases. So to sort-of-fix-the-phone they have to use a case, which they don't like to do. That covers up the issue, but they don't even want to use a case. The idea is you actually fix the phone, by doing a slight-redesign to the antenna. Not cases.

So there is legitimate data that says that 25% of iPhone users won't use a case - even if it solves a problem? Or even evidence that 25% of iPhone users have a problem at all?

It's easy to make numbers up. Why don't you try to come up with some real ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_JT View Post

Seriously, there's a difference between "software fix" and "hardware fix". The antenna deficiency for left hand use will NOT be resolved by this. At best the software "fix" will make the signal drops significantly more pronounced when held in the left hand in a bad signal area. APPLE NEED TO ADDRESS THE HARDWARE. People stop blindly defending this. You're just sheep and deserve scorn.

Where is your electrical engineering degree from? After all, you're so certain of that that you must have an advanced degree in EE with an emphasis n antenna design.

Oh, you don't have a degree? You're just another loud-mouthed, uneducated whiner, probably paid by Google?

Figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

If your a shareholder, do you really want everyone returning their iPhone 4's? Is that good business to you?

Obviously not. But that argument begs the question. How many iPhone users want to return their phones? Obviously the number is very small since there are no lines in front of the AT&T or Apple Store desks to return phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

What they have to do NOW is acknowledge that they have a problem and make clear will be addressed. What they have to do NOW is get ahead of the bad PR curve.

They have acknowledged that there's a problem (several problems, in fact). They've offered work-arounds for some and have promised a fix for others.

What do you want them to do? Sacrifice a goat?

If the software fix doesn't solve the problem, then you can start your whining again. But for now, let Apple fix it like they've promised (I realize that I'm speaking hypothetically since you don't even own an iPhone but continue to whine about it. How much does Google pay you?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Does it take FCC approval to provide an OS patch? Just asking.

Yes. My understanding is that the software and hardware must both be approved.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #71 of 99
This is 95% FUD. Those who are not early adopters will wait for all this to shake out before putting down money for the phone (I'm in that camp). Those experiencing problems they can't live with will return the phone and lick their wounds. Those experiencing problems they CAN live with will do so. (If they get a bumper or iTunes gift card for their trouble, so much the better.) Those not having problems will obviously keep the phone and be happy with it. This will hardly make a dent in apple's bottom line...or image. They will sell the returned phones, they will sell new phones. They will have a hard time meeting demand for months to come. And people will line up overnight for the next great thing apple releases.

The real losers in this whole thing are the trolls. When this "earth-shattering" issue drops off the media radar, they will claim media conspiracy and nobody will respond to their posts. They will be lonely in their moms' basements, as ignore lists, full to the brim with screen names block their attempts for attention. Interesting new screen names will be at a premium. "I_Hate_Steve_Jobs" will be pretty hard to come by in the post-iphone-antenna-fiasco world. But don't worry trolls, the iPod Touch will be out soon and once some guy gets it to blow up in his hands on youtube, watch out! You are back in business.

What this proves to me is that the whole media/blogosphere has become a pit of trolls that ramp up stuff and ride it until it collapses. Think about this: right now, BP is gushing tens of thousands barrels of crude into the ocean EVERY SINGLE DAY and you can hardly see it or read about it any more. Why, that horse was ridden to collapse. The iphone is the new great threat to society. If you're not interested, wait a few days and there will be something new.
post #72 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesw View Post

There will be NO recall.


If you don't like the phone, RETURN IT.

Posting in BIG STUPID type won't make your inane wishes come true any faster...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #73 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scafe2 View Post

Please please everyone stop talking about the bumper being the holy grail as the solution, have you seen the bumpers,. they look pants,..

That's Apple's main problem....too much look, too little work.
post #74 of 99
Opening eyes.
Personally, I managed to wrap my brain around what Consumer Reports actually is; and Gene Munster sounds so cogent on the matters of appliance field tests and cases.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #75 of 99
Sane article from BusinessInsider on why this is a non-issue here.

Great to see at least a bit of op-ed contrary to the FUD-fest this topic has turned into.
post #76 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

They have acknowledged that there's a problem (several problems, in fact). They've offered work-arounds for some and have promised a fix for others.

What do you want them to do? Sacrifice a goat?

If the software fix doesn't solve the problem, then you can start your whining again. But for now, let Apple fix it like they've promised (I realize that I'm speaking hypothetically since you don't even own an iPhone but continue to whine about it. How much does Google pay you?).

You do like to pretend knowledge that you could not possibly have. Please try not to be ludicrous. Please try not to be flippantly dismissive of everyone who doesn't completely agree with you. I know it's hard, but try.

No, Apple has not actually acknowledged the problem. We all know the steps they've suggested and taken. Have any of them stemmed the tide of negative publicity? No, not in the least. So I think by that measure (the only one that really matters), they have certainly not done anywhere close to enough. The very fact that they've moved so slowly on this issue suggests me that they haven't figured out how to solve it. If it was simply a matter of adjusting the bar measurement formula, that software fix would have been delivered a week or more ago. Notice that this has not happened yet. Notice that Apple has been utterly silent on the issue since then.

This is Apple's biggest PR gaff in years, and I see them doing nothing to get out in front of it. As a stockholder, this makes me unhappy.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #77 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I've owned multiple cases for my other iPhones, and the bumper case is the best I've used.
To each his own, but that doesn't fuel FUD does it?

Oh boy, come on,.. Do me a favour,... Wake up and smell the coffee,.. Why would anyone buy a beautiful sophisticated piece of kit , iPhone 4, and turn it into a kids looking toy with one of those bumpers,.. I mean come on man,...
But your right , each and everyone to their own, Hey ho,......
post #78 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_JT View Post

How would YOU describe yourself? I mean elsewhere you were asking people to post cv's and credentials in order to validify there opinions on an Internet message board. And only for starters....

I mean...words like "obnoxious", "rude", "snob", "lunatic" have all come to mind when a lot of your posts have come up. And you have this unhealthy obsession with defending EVERYTHING to do with this antenna deficiency, this very obvious and ever increasingly significant design defect that needs to be addressed by Apple pronto or face longer term ramifications. The right thing to do is recall...at the least... free bumper case

Mmmm... Should Apple take your advice or Steve Jobs' advice...

That's a tough call, based on your relative track records!

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #79 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBill View Post

Sane article from BusinessInsider on why this is a non-issue here.

Great to see at least a bit of op-ed contrary to the FUD-fest this topic has turned into.

A completely fact-free article. I kept looking for any concrete reasons why he thinks it's a complete non-issue, but I never found anything but his opinion that it is. FWIW, I think it's probably going to blow over too, but only as quickly as Apple gets on the stick and makes a determined effort to counteract the bad publicity.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #80 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

A completely fact-free article. I kept looking for any concrete reasons why he thinks it's a complete non-issue, but I never found anything but his opinion that it is. FWIW, I think it's probably going to blow over too, but only as quickly as Apple gets on the stick and makes a determined effort to counteract the bad publicity.

I agree that Apple is on the wrong side of the PR on this issue, but it's not clear to me what they should be doing (or should have done) differently that would improve matters, short of understanding the problem fully.

As for the article, I would point out that much of what has been written on this subject is fact-free. One fact that I do know is that Apple isn't close to meeting demand for the iPhone4.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 4 antenna fix could impact Apple's operating income by 1%