or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 4 antenna fix could impact Apple's operating income by 1%

iPhone 4 antenna fix could impact Apple's operating income by 1% - Page 3

post #81 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

This is a serious question? I mean, given how Steve and Apple did react?

Ok, the easy part, I wouldn't have sent an email telling someone the problem was the way he handled the phone and to handle it differently, aka you're holding it wrong.

I wouldn't have feigned an "oh my gosh! we've used a wrong bar formula all along! you can't believe how surprised we are!" response with the pretense that "cosmetics" was the only issue and it would be solved soon via a patch.

Good for starters?

Yup, a good start. And #3 would be either:

"we understand there are some unconfirmed reports and we are looking into it"

or

say nothing more until you've determined a course of action

As much as I think Apple made a mistake in the design (physical contact with an antenna affects its performance - end of story), they made an even bigger blunder with their arrogant and clumbsy responses to the complaints.
post #82 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBill View Post

I agree that Apple is on the wrong side of the PR on this issue, but it's not clear to me what they should be doing (or should have done) differently that would improve matters, short of understanding the problem fully.

As for the article, I would point out that much of what has been written on this subject is fact-free. One fact that I do know is that Apple isn't close to meeting demand for the iPhone4.

To start, telling customers that they were "holding it wrong" was a huge blunder. They never recovered from the mistake of trying to make users feel like they were the problem.

Even a simple but forceful statement, repeated as often as necessary, that Apple is totally committed to making every customer happy with every Apple product they buy would have helped a great deal. In business it is truly the case that "the customer is always right," even when they are completely wrong. Apple took the opposite tack, which unsurprisingly, played very badly. They have lost control of the message, and I wonder how and when they are going to get it back. The mystery to me is how they fouled up so badly at game at which they usually excel.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #83 of 99
Reception issues, bah!!! I don't enjoy talking on the phone that much anyway. I'm still waiting on the email confirmation from Apple saying my iPhone 4 is at the store ready for me to pick it up. But, so many people are buying them, that it looks like that may take a while.\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Either that or I need to have my eye site checked.

You misspelled iSite.
13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz; iPhone 4 32GB
13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz; iPhone 4 32GB
post #84 of 99
Gene Munster's assertion is that 25% of the iPhone users' sample space would be periodically effected (i.e. suffer dropped calls now and then) by this design flaw. He based his assertion on the fact that his research shows that 75% of the people purchase cases. Shouldn't we also further reduce that sample space by the fraction of people who are left-handed (about 10%, IIRC)? It seems to me very unlikely that a right-handed person would naturally implement the "death grip". Together, it seems to me that about 2.5% of the iPhone users would even be candidates for this problem, and that's before you take into account that some people hold their phones with fingertips instead of palms and that others live in areas of good strong signals, where the effect typically won't cause a dropped call.

This seems to be a significant problem (in principle) that is only a significant problem (in practice) to people that meet a very specific set of circumstances. I think that Apple should do all it can, within reason, to help that (small) set of people.

Thompson
post #85 of 99

I have been waiting to buy a case for my iP4-- I was hoping to get a combination case/battery like the one Mophie has for the 3G and 3GS: the JuicePack Air.

But soccer season is about to start with 4 practices and 2 games per week-- it was time to get some protection (for my iP4).

The nearest Apple store is about 30 miles and AT&T was sold out of cases. So, I went to my friendly, local, Radio Shack.

They carry a Incipio dermaSHOT anti-slip case for $20.

It is great... and attractive, too...

I am not experiencing any antenna or proximity problems, but for those who are, this could be a work-around.

http://www.myincipio.com/c=FAclYgQyV...aSHOT+iphone+4

HTH

Dick

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
post #86 of 99
Why do I have a little red dot over there?

<-------------

Oops. It turned green.

What does the dot indicate?
post #87 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Whatever you do, don't upgrade to iOS4!! You're phone will be slow as molasses. A deliberate ploy on Apple's part to force you to buy new hardware. Once you upgrade there is no going back.

I had this problem on my iPhone 3G, but a restore from backup helped significantly. It's still not as snappy as iPhone 4 but it became usable again. Worth trying.
post #88 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesw View Post

There will be NO recall.

If you don't like the phone, RETURN IT.

Yelling louder doesn't change anyone's mind.

People seem to be all false-dichotomy about this, that one should either keep the unit you have or use some other brand product. I've yet to see anyone suggest trying an exchange. For the one in a thousand (just a guess, I don't know) that might very well be defective, a replacement might be the fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Why do I have a little red dot over there?

<-------------

Oops. It turned green.

What does the dot indicate?

With many graphics, you can mouse over them. It indicates whether or not someone is on this web site. I don't know if it really matters to anyone though.
post #89 of 99
I think a huge part of the problem is that the iphone does not switch from 3G to edge fast enough when the signal drops.

I have been testing this out by manually turning 3G on and off and comparing signal strength and call quality. On edge at my house, I get significantly stronger signals and have yet to drop a call. On 3G at my house I get 1-2 bars, and it never switches to edge, even when the signal drops to zero bars. The calls have dropped 6 or 7 times, and not once did it switch to the edge network.

On my old iPhone 3G, the signal would routinely switch to edge whenever the signal dropped down to about 1 bar.

AT&T says the 3G network is everywhere edge is in my neighborhood, but the fact remains that the edge only setting gets better reception & fewer dropped calls. Perhaps that's because the edge network is less congested.

I suggest Apple looks into a firmware update that switches voice calls to edge faster when the signal degrades.
post #90 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Just give them away to the people that ask for them and everyone is happy.

Apple is not going to try to appease customers with free Bumpers.

Appeasement never works. Just ask Chamberlain.
post #91 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Really? If you compare his estimates to EVERY other analyst you'd be hard pressed to name one with a better track record. Can you? Waiting...

I gave my own opinion, why do you have to be such a dick about it?
post #92 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

With the Internet Bullhorn Effect, a defect rate of 1 in 10000 can be made to sound serious and widespread.

Exactly. And that would mean that there are only 200 defective iPhones in the whole wide world, assuming Apple sold 2 million of them.

But the haters won't face reality.
post #93 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Exactly. And that would mean that there are only 200 defective iPhones in the whole wide world, assuming Apple sold 2 million of them.

But the haters won't face reality.

Yes, that's it - there are only 200 people in the entire world who have had a problem. That's all. The rest of this is just a conspiracy. Its all haters. Evil people who will stop at nothing to tarnish the reputation of Apple. Why? Because they are mean. Nasty. Haters. Invested in pointless, contemptuous, reasonless hatred - of a phone. Yep, that's the issue. That's the most logical, cogent, well-considered and most probable reason... because there are so many MANY people who so badly hate... this phone, and the company that makes it.

Yep. Totally - that's the whole thing.
post #94 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeetz View Post

I think a huge part of the problem is that the iphone does not switch from 3G to edge fast enough when the signal drops.

I have been testing this out by manually turning 3G on and off and comparing signal strength and call quality. On edge at my house, I get significantly stronger signals and have yet to drop a call. On 3G at my house I get 1-2 bars, and it never switches to edge, even when the signal drops to zero bars. The calls have dropped 6 or 7 times, and not once did it switch to the edge network.

On my old iPhone 3G, the signal would routinely switch to edge whenever the signal dropped down to about 1 bar.

AT&T says the 3G network is everywhere edge is in my neighborhood, but the fact remains that the edge only setting gets better reception & fewer dropped calls. Perhaps that's because the edge network is less congested.

I suggest Apple looks into a firmware update that switches voice calls to edge faster when the signal degrades.

If switching slowly is the problem - then Apple COULD fix that with a firmware upgrade.
Personally I think you're onto something with the switching. It could be a major part of the problem.
post #95 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Those bumper cases cost .40 cents to manufacture. Even charging $9.99 would be a rip off. Just give them away to the people that ask for them and everyone is happy.

it's funny how everyone slams apple for charging $30 for a piece of plastic, yet all the other case manufacturers do it and there's nary a peep.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #96 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

it's funny how everyone slams apple for charging $30 for a piece of plastic, yet all the other case manufacturers do it and there's nary a peep.

True story. When I go into a store looking for cases, hardly any of them seem to under $30.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #97 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

there are many side by side tests out there and 3GS is much faster while 3G is a little slower after upgrading to iOS4. On some apps i've written the load time of the app takes 8-12 seconds longer after I upgraded a test 3G to iOS4.

You're on Fn' crack. I have a 3G iPodTouch with iOS4. I have many different genres of apps on my device from small games to large reference study applications therefore I can make an informed analysis. The difference in opening ALL apps is literally only a 1/2 a second longer. An easy compromise for having such great new features.
post #98 of 99
I wonder how many total people are behind this? I strongly suspect that there are less than 100 people who are blogging this issue and that they have been lionized by a media that thrives on creating controversy (so that they can sell "news".)

What about the millions of us whose iPHone 4 seems to work just fine? We have jobs, careers and businesses. We like our phones. We do not have the time to blog and report and create problems. We pay our taxes. We get tired and sleep at night instead of staying up until 5 AM to complain anonymously on the internet or stir up lawsuits.
SkyKing
SkyKing
post #99 of 99
Opening eyes...
Who would only have known that analysts would one day be describing antennae in terms of the operating income percentage. Apple contributes a lot in fixing our illiteracy.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 4 antenna fix could impact Apple's operating income by 1%