or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple Retail tells employees something big is on the way

Apple Retail tells employees something big is on the way - Page 2

post #41 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Free MobileMe?

... for customers who have purchased any Mac, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #42 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntercr View Post

Surely it's simply the White iPhone.

I haven't bought an iPhone 4G yet because I'm holding out for the whitey.

Believe it or not it's quite difficult to find NICE videos of a white iPhone 4G. I found this one. check it out. Unfortunately it's a PC Mag review but it's the best video out there if you want to check out the whitey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxc4SVJSmpg
post #43 of 113
Didn't they say right in the article that it was something for use by employees in their retail stores and not something for consumers?

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

post #44 of 113
Congratulations, the following people (most of the thread at this point) didn't even read the f*cking article or think that what they have to talk about is more important and just don't care about what the article even says.

You all should be ashamed of yourselves either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicwalmsley View Post

International customers are waiting for the iPhone 4. Should be the next couple of weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

I doubt it. Apple rarely launch "big" things back to back like this.

probably just international iPhone 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I want a umbrella like they gave at the shanghai store while it was raining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Please let be something Mac related. Enough with the iPhone and iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

Replacement iPhone 4s with fully functional antenna?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

'Nuff said.

Quote:

Free MobileMe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian5s View Post

How about a clip on antenna band, bumper, but, antenna???? Stainless??? No Signal loss??? New Proximity sensors????

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

you beat me to it - except I was going to say - iPhone 5 now with working antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli View Post

1/ New iPod Touch ?
2/ New iPod nano ?
3/ New touchpad for desktop computers ?
4/ New MacBook Air with touch screen ?
5/ Mac OS XI "HellCat" with touch screen support and iOS interface ?
6/ iTunes for free for iPhone 4 new owners ?
7/ Apple TV ???
8/ iPhone 5 with new antenna design ? (more likely for Q1 2011...)

9/ I forgot: MAC OS X for PC!!!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

All the employees will be trained on how to activate an iphone with a different carrier???

Launch of a new app iDate for employees to date each other??? LOL

I'm hoping for iPhone with T-Mobile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Daddy, I want a working proximity sensor!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

FREE phone calls
via WIFI

OR

nano video face phone

4g/7g roll out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli View Post

"Apple is drumming up excitement amongst its retail employees, hinting this week that something revolutionary will soon be introduced within its international chain of brick-and-mortar shops."

Ok, why within the international chain of brick-and-mortar shops?

Is it a new hardware?

Just an idea: APPLE FACETIME WALL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [)roi(] View Post

IPod Touch 4G?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post

It's an antenna that doesn't ground itself when the user holds it with the left hand; fur use by Apple store employees only.

This person, is practically the only one that got it right at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

Didn't they say right in the article that it was something for use by employees in their retail stores and not something for consumers?

RTFM people! Are you all tired, or just stupid?
post #45 of 113
White iPhone 4 with working antenna.

You heard it here first, folks.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
post #46 of 113
Quote:

In answer to your sig-- In Flint Center!

post #47 of 113
It's the iCar.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #48 of 113
Apple... The World's Biggest HYPE-Machine.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #49 of 113
I would guess new hand held POS system using iPhone 4's or iPads. Maybe some real time saving app like allowing people to pay for items with the iTunes account rather than having to do a card swipe (plus 3 more swipes until it reads in their crappy readers).

It could also be something truly revolutionary for retail, the iRegister where customers can wait to pay in an equally revolutionary iLine or perhaps iQueue. Just imagine if customers could intuitively know where to pay, and employees would know who was next. OMFG, it could be HUGE!
post #50 of 113
Quote:

They all get raises!
post #51 of 113
Honestly, that article seems to be written purposefully to mislead readers to make it sound like a new CONSUMER PRODUCT was coming to the Apple Stores . . . until you clicked on it and read past the 5th paragraph.

I read the whole thing and hd to re-read it to figure out what the hell you were saying.

It should be a little more clear that its probably a new PROCESS or SYSTEM coming to Apple's RETAIL STORES for use by the EMPLOYEES.
post #52 of 113
Telephones?
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #53 of 113
+1 for tired!

RTFM people! Are you all tired, or just stupid?[/QUOTE]
post #54 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Telephones?

working telephones?
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #55 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCrefugee View Post

Apple will become the new co-sponsor of the professional cycling team currently known as Saxo-Bank. They will co-sponsor the Riis Cycling owned team with the IT company Sungard.

This is completely bizarre.

When has Apple ever endorsed a sports team? The chances of this happening are about 0.00001%.

Also, sponsorship would have nothing to do with their retail operations (unless they chose to sell cycling jerseys at their stores). But then again, perhaps you're being sarcastic. Hard to tell on the Internet.
post #56 of 113
new uniforms?

the every-four-years release of a mac pro?

free downgrades to Windows XP valid until 2020?
post #57 of 113
They're playing with - "It's big." It's physically big. And that can only be an Apple HDTV.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
post #58 of 113
post #59 of 113
Hopefully a new MacPro + new Cinema Display. I really want to order a new Mac, but just don't want to see it updated a couple of days _after_ I purchased the current model. According to http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Pro the wait has been twice as long as usual (498 vs. 236 days) for a new model to appear. And if it's something big, could it be a bigger Cinema Display? Or will the new display be the rumoured 27"? What do you guys think?

Cheers,
Phil
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #60 of 113

1) special tagging of the store shelves and demo stations, i.e. the products the Apple Store has for sale with NFC/RFID tags and short (3-digit) "Apple Store Product Numbers"

2) a free AppleStore.app for iPads, iPhones, iPod Touchs that allows the user to quickly shop using the 3-digit product codes (or product descriptions).

3) The AppleStore.app would include information for all the products sold at all Apple Stores and would be supplemented in the store (over WiFi) with other products unique to that particular Apple Store

4) NFC/RFID announced as "already included" in the iPhone 4.

So, a customer with an Apple Mobile device walks around the store, selecting items to buy by:
-- selectings the product from a scrollable list (drill-down);
-- searching (drill-down)
-- entering a 3-digit "Apple Store Product Numbers"
-- bumping his NFC/RFID device with the NFC/RFID tag on the display product.

A customer could pre-fill his order in the AppleStore.app with intended purchases before leaving home, then update, as necessary when in the store. It is most important to support "specials" and "impulse buying".

When ready to checkout, the customer hits a "Checkout" button and his order is WiFid to the back room, where it is picked and brought to him on the floor, where normal checkout takes place

For those customers who do not, yet, own an Apple Mobile Device-- there will be iPad kiosks throughout the store to provide a similar, stationary experience,

Oh... Apple will announce that concept is being tested in several high-visibility retail chains...

BTW, this [broad] concept is not new-- it was pioneered in the 1950's by Simpson's of Canada (where the pickers in the back room wore roller-skates)

post #61 of 113
It's not the white IPhone.

And don't call me Shirley. :P

Quote:

post #62 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Congratulations, the following people (most of the thread at this point) didn't even read the f*cking article or think that what they have to talk about is more important and just don't care about what the article even says.

You all should be ashamed of yourselves either way. :

Right back at ya!
they did read the article.
Apple(you know the subject of the article) only said something BIG. Nothing else can be infered from those statements.
The writer and an outsider said it's most likely retail only.
Which is probably true, but that's no reason to call everyone stupid. Stupid is as stupid does.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #63 of 113
apple can sure use a real nice big shiny ball right about now.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
post #64 of 113
Public bathrooms!!!

This is going to be awesome.
post #65 of 113
Quote:

Free MobileMe?

This might actually be it. I worked at an Apple Store on and off for 2 years, and MobileMe was, after Applecare, the biggest priority when it came to "attaching" things to Mac and iPhone sales. I actually had an odd knack for selling it to people - "Find My iPhone" and the ease of publishing web galleries reeled the most people in.

Plus, the recent upgrade to the Mail interface, the upcoming beta of the Calendar function, and people being reclassified as "Full Members" all indicate some larger shift is in the works.
27" 3.06 GHz iMac

16 GB iPhone 4
80 GB iPod Classic
1 GB 2nd Gen iPod Shuffle

Apple TV (2nd gen)
Apple TV (1st gen 40 GB)
AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11n)
27" 3.06 GHz iMac

16 GB iPhone 4
80 GB iPod Classic
1 GB 2nd Gen iPod Shuffle

Apple TV (2nd gen)
Apple TV (1st gen 40 GB)
AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11n)
post #66 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Right back at ya!
they did read the article.
Apple(you know the subject of the article) only said something BIG. Nothing else can be infered from those statements.
The writer and an outsider said it's most likely retail only.
Which is probably true, but that's no reason to call everyone stupid. Stupid is as stupid does.

I said what I said because it's a "retail surprise" and it's being reported here and everywhere else that it has nothing to do with new products but only "retail." All the people I replied to didn't even bother to read the article (or at least not very closely), and just spouted off with their favourite theory of what new product they want Apple to produce.

Also, if you read what I actually wrote more carefully yourself, you will see that I did not "call everyone stupid."
post #67 of 113
I see an easy cheap shot in this story having to do with a giant hopper for recalled iPhone 4s.

I sincerely hope a recall is not necessary and not in the cards.
post #68 of 113
Like the poster said above the Verizon iphone - running on LTE backward compatible with CDMA and unlimited data plan. No dropped calls and fast connections. Cheaper monthly plans too.

Hey I can hope can't I?
post #69 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Dats telling em.... Not that they'd bother reading your post but A for effort anyway.
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #70 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Revolutionary for their brick and mortar stores?

How about specific cashier stations so you don't have to hunt down someone when you want to buy something? I've had to put my purchase back and leave more than once because I couldn't find anyone to take my money.

I've never been to an Apple store WITHOUT a cash register at the back.

What planet do you shop on?
post #71 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwindows View Post

Like the poster said above the Verizon iphone - running on LTE backward compatible with CDMA and unlimited data plan. No dropped calls and fast connections. Cheaper monthly plans too.

Hey I can hope can't I?

+1, but I seriously doubt it. Here's the upcoming flyer from Verizon for Smartphones that leaked out. Had there been a Verizon iPhone on the near horizon, it probably would be front and center on the flyer.

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/07/13...2-is-official/
post #72 of 113
That would totally suck all of the oxygen out of the latest Droid release day, which I think is Thursday.

Let the bumper madness begin!
post #73 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbsteph View Post

Sad to date myself but, that was a line of inquiry used by Steve Allen on the 50's/60's show "What's My Line".

Smock! Smock!
post #74 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

I haven't bought an iPhone 4G yet because I'm holding out for the whitey.

Believe it or not it's quite difficult to find NICE videos of a white iPhone 4G. I found this one. check it out. Unfortunately it's a PC Mag review but it's the best video out there if you want to check out the whitey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxc4SVJSmpg

Thanks. Me too. Gotta Be The White iPhone 4.  

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

post #75 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetzel1517 View Post

This might actually be it. I worked at an Apple Store on and off for 2 years, and MobileMe was, after Applecare, the biggest priority when it came to "attaching" things to Mac and iPhone sales. I actually had an odd knack for selling it to people - "Find My iPhone" and the ease of publishing web galleries reeled the most people in.

Plus, the recent upgrade to the Mail interface, the upcoming beta of the Calendar function, and people being reclassified as "Full Members" all indicate some larger shift is in the works.

I hope it is free mobileme email, at least for people who haven't renewed their subscription for whatever reason. As has already been mentioned here by a few people, many find it off putting to think that they will lose all their emails if they don't renew, so they simply hardly ever use the email service - which is a shame as I have never had a problem with that aspect of the service. The contact and cal sync on the other hand..... (!)
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
post #76 of 113
The article says that it is something specific to its brick-and-mortar stores.
It is definitely not a new piece of hardware, because Apple Store employees would be the last people you would want to tell. No offense.

My guess it is 1 of 3 things.

1) MobileMe lite - FREE Contact and Calendar syncing for everyone.
It would make sense to promote this to Apple Store employees.

2) Some type of upgrade to the current POS system that uses the iPod touch.
It would make sense to get Apple Store employees excited about using it.

3) Some other major store function becoming digitized and easier to do (planogram/scheduling)

A friend of mine who works for a major retail chain showed me how he can log in and check his store's schedule. If he needs to call out, the web app shows him who is available from his store and other nearby stores to cover for him.

This is the kind of thing RETAIL people get excited about.
Not Apple TVs.
post #77 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

I've never been to an Apple store WITHOUT a cash register at the back.

What planet do you shop on?

There is no cash register at the Garden State Mall store. There used to be but they took them out and now use that area for personal training. To check out you have to get an employee with an iPad.
post #78 of 113
Apple call everything they do big and innovative so it could be anything. The Mac Pro is long overdue but I doubt they'd hint at that.

An ATV replacement is a possibility because they might not bother with a media event but it's something you can't really demo properly online.
post #79 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

Replacement iPhone 4s with fully functional antenna?

Here here.
post #80 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

For those with heavier computing needs. After all they said it would be big.

With the tagline big, it's a TV. 101% guarenteed.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple Retail tells employees something big is on the way