or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Every week Apple doesn't act on iPhone 4 antenna could cost $200M
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Every week Apple doesn't act on iPhone 4 antenna could cost $200M - Page 6

post #201 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

Funny how you portray the 'Yours:" side so wildly extreme to foolishly attempt to prove your point. Why don't you more accurately state the 'yours' side ? I know why, because then it would sound too valid.

Really? Then were is the evidence that a massive number of iPhone users are returning their phones? So far, you haven't provided anything but a bunch of whining.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #202 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Really? Then were is the evidence that a massive number of iPhone users are returning their phones? So far, you haven't provided anything but a bunch of whining.

I never said there was massive returns. More of your wild extreme rhetoric to foolishly attempt to prove your point. I was only debating your so called evidence. I see nothing wrong with my very valid points and debate. So far you are the one providing a chart with no methodology for this so called evidence, falsely portraying the other side, and whining. I have no idea what the return rate is right now. Or what it will be when the 30-day trial period gets closer to the end. But I'm not the one providing charts from questionable sources, that lack any details of what the data is, when the data was collected and what it is trying to show.
post #203 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

But, the fact that the bar calculation has been used for EVERY generation of iPhone - and now, mysteriously this is the cause of all of the reception problems - that is utter BS. There are concessions made when you write firmware, I wonder if the firmware places greater emphsis on maintaining 3G than it does on voice. As I mentioned, since I disabled 3G the recpetion problem has been greatly improved. My data suggests a ~10-12dBA improvement.

I find the missing "field test mode" mysterious too. But, its also a VERY different phone from previous iPhone's, so I'm more suspecting that they've hidden it somewhere.

I get why you're angry though. I'm more incredulous though when I hear people say "I simply touch it and the signal disappears to nothing and it drops my call". I'm one of those people that took a couple of YouTube videos before I could reproduce the "Death Grip (tm)" affect... but reproduce it I did. But, I haven't been able to do it consistently, unless I moisten my fingers or something exotic (I have admittedly dry hands).

In my mind, this is mostly a PR snafu. Someone needs to tell Steve Jobs that he can be right and still be wrong. His reaction would be my reaction, but its not something to tell customers who have become enraged. He needs to ignore ranting customer emails whenever possible. What should Apple do about the "Death Grip (tm)" problem? Fix it. I'm still of the opinion it is overblown. The biggest part of this is that people have become HIGHLY aware and sensitive to antennae attenuation issues regarding this phone. As others point out, other iPhones (and Blackberries, Nexus Ones, and Nokias) have it too, but to a lesser degree and differently. Like I said, I didn't even notice the issue until I hunted down a tutorial, and it PHYSICALLY hurts my hand to reproduce it.

A friend of mine is saying he has to hold his iPhone from the top with the tips of his fingers. He's a reasonable person, but I would love to come over his house and examine and compare our devices. I honestly think this is a HUGE psychological issue not unlike hypochondriacs. The more you're aware of the problem, the more you tend to run into it. Then you become self-conscious about it, and it in turn becomes extremely irritating, because you think every drop in signal is related to the flaw. I know for a fact that CERTAIN areas of the same room (with all of my past iPhone and non-iPhone GSM devices) have different bars. Combine that with being overly-conscious of attenuation, and you have major issues brewing.

Apple needs to answer this once, and well.

My BEST case solution is this:

DO:
* Release a firmware update for the signal meter issue
* Release a firmware update for the proximity sensor issue
* Give out $50 gift certificates for anyone purchasing an iPhone 4 in the first two months
* Apologize for any problems publicly and loudly (get social finally, for petesake)
* Adjust production to include better non-conductive coating on newer iPhone 4s.
* Keep promoting the crap out of FaceTime

DO NOT:
* Give away "free bumpers" for every iPhone 4
* Continue being silent
* Have Steve Jobs respond to ranting customers
* Forget that FaceTime is a threat to carriers and needs mass adoption

What? About FaceTime? Yeah, I'm not sure most people get that yet.
Apple is handing off calls to VOIP with video and circumventing voice plans.
The call continues in the background like a normal call with no minutes used.
This is gonna be an UP HILL BATTLE. The iPhone 4 is a Trojan Horse we ALL need in the gates.
Apple might has well have announced free text messaging.

~ CB
post #204 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

I don't think it is a defect. I'm pretty sure Apple engineers have heard of attenuation and were aware of placing two antennas within contact of each other. These people aren't idiots. Let's see how the software update deals with it before we cry wolf.

Here's a genuine question for you - not sarcasm - do you truly believe that the software update will fix the dropped call/attenuation issue iP4 owners are reporting?

That's a yes/no question.

I get the feeling you're really just hoping that will be the case. But your opening comment "I don't think it is a defect" suggests you actually believe it's software, not hardware.

For the record, I'm hoping that SW fixes it too but I can't bring myself to believe that it will.
post #205 of 221
My question is, what about the glass front and back? I just found out that it is no way as strong as apple says it is. My phone just slipped out of my pocket and fell about 12 inches to the ground and shattered the back. I thought it was supposed to be super strong? And now I have to pay 200 dollars to get a replacement. I have only had it since thursday. I would post a photo but i don't know how to on here.
post #206 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I didn't say that it's the end of the story.

However, let's look at the two sides:

Yours:
The iPhone is a disaster (even though I don't have one). It's a fiasco. The phone doesn't work. No one wants one.

Mine:
There are minor problems, but they're mostly not that big a deal. As evidence, none of the AT&T or Apple stores I've seen have lines of people returning the phones. There are no reports of massive returns. And Fortune is reporting that in their (admittedly limited) survey, the number of returns is insignificant.

Why in the world would you think that your whining is more meaningful than the facts which ARE available?

This is one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen anyone say around here. Surely you jest.

Lets see if I can do like you did.

Lets have a look at the two sides:

Yours:
Apple didn't do anything wrong in the design of this device, and anything anyone says about their iphone4 having issues actually doesn't even own the iphone4 at all. In fact, the iphone4 antenna issue is a myth, perpetuated by Satan himself since Apple is actually God.

Mine:
Perhaps there's a small chance there might be something a tad askew with the iphone4's antenna, and it should be investigated so that truth prevails.

WOW I WIN

OR, you could NOT bull mindless dribble out of your ass and post it here. When did I ever say the phone was a disaster, that it didn't work, and that nobody wanted one? Seriously, take this strawman and cram it, pal.
post #207 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

This is one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen anyone say around here. Surely you jest.

Lets see if I can do like you did.

Lets have a look at the two sides:

Yours:
Apple didn't do anything wrong in the design of this device, and anything anyone says about their iphone4 having issues actually doesn't even own the iphone4 at all. In fact, the iphone4 antenna issue is a myth, perpetuated by Satan himself since Apple is actually God.

Mine:
Perhaps there's a small chance there might be something a tad askew with the iphone4's antenna, and it should be investigated so that truth prevails.

WOW I WIN

OR, you could NOT bull mindless dribble out of your ass and post it here. When did I ever say the phone was a disaster, that it didn't work, and that nobody wanted one? Seriously, take this strawman and cram it, pal.

Nice try. Unfortunately, that's so far from reality that it's meaningless.

I brought up the Fortune article that said that the number of returns was insignificant.

You attacked me for bringing up that article - and yet you refused to provide anything to refute it.

I pointed out that you never provided anything to refute the article so it's the best information available. I also asked you to support your contention that the Fortune article was wrong.

Instead of addressing the issue, you hallucinated the above nonsense.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #208 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb85 View Post

My question is, what about the glass front and back? I just found out that it is no way as strong as apple says it is. My phone just slipped out of my pocket and fell about 12 inches to the ground and shattered the back.ere. I thought it was supposed to be super strong?


It is super strong. It is the same material used in supersonic trains.

You can't expect to drop glass onto concrete without it breaking. Most people buy a case.
post #209 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Pay no attention, SendMe is a well known troll who has posted here under many aliases and personas, and been banned multiple times. His current style matches that of a previous iLuv alias.

Noted. Thanks.
post #210 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

And Apple has already identified the software issue, and is now perfecting the fix. They have told us this. It is not a matter of speculation.

How do you do it? Honestly. What possesses you to lie like this?
post #211 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

It is super strong. It is the same material used in supersonic trains.

You can't expect to drop glass onto concrete without it breaking. Most people buy a case.

Yeah except according to apple it is supposed to withstand drops. and a 12 inch drop shouldn't shatter the back. And you don't need to be a sarcastic douche. I was just wondering if anyone else has heard anything.
post #212 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

I liked this sane and rational reply

I agree, though not with the attempt to minimize Apple's non-response on the antenna issue suggesting with an (I paraphrase for clarity) "if Apple had to respond to every little complaint..."

Clearly this issue rises to a higher level than that and deserves a much more direct response. Again, if Apple slips a fix in without ever acknowledging the real antenna problem existed, I will call them dishonest to the core.
post #213 of 221
So we have a bunch of people complaining that they're sick of reading comments about the iP4's attenuation issues, yet they continue to read them.

And we have a bunch of people complaining about the whiners - in effect whining about them.



The irony is delicious.
post #214 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Then please stop lying. Problem solved.



Exactly. It's a non-issue for the overwhelming majority of people.

That's not to say that there aren't a few truly defective iphones out there. Every device has some percentage that just don't work. If you have one of them, just exchange it.



Incorrect. There is no restocking fee for 30 days. If they try to charge you a restocking fee, talk to a manager.

Or, save Apple's press release stating that there will be no restocking fee and challenge the credit card charge.



The funny thing is that CR says that, even with the 'problem', the iPhone 4 is the best smart phone on the market.



The part you're completely ignoring is that for the overwhelming majority of people, the phone is great - as is. Most of the people who have a problem can get around that problem with a trivial change in how they use it.

Now, you may be so stubborn that you'd cut off your nose to spite your face. Any product has a few dissatisfied customers. The number for the iPhone is insignificant (spend some time at an Apple or AT&T store and see how many returns you see. If you're dissatisfied, just return it and buy something else. They're apparently never going to make you happy.

Of course, that assumes that you even own an iPhone. Given your posting history, it's far more likely that you've never bought one and never would, but you're simply doing what you're being paid by Google to do.

"A 10% restocking fee applies to all iPhone purchases, except where prohibited. The 10% restocking fee does not apply if the device was purchased without AT&T service (device only sale) and returned unopened."

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...urn-policy.jsp
post #215 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Nice try. Unfortunately, that's so far from reality that it's meaningless.

I brought up the Fortune article that said that the number of returns was insignificant.

You attacked me for bringing up that article - and yet you refused to provide anything to refute it.

I pointed out that you never provided anything to refute the article so it's the best information available. I also asked you to support your contention that the Fortune article was wrong.

Instead of addressing the issue, you hallucinated the above nonsense.

Wait a second, WTF? Do you even look at the name of the person you're responding to anymore or do you just blend all conversations together now? Half the shit you're saying never happened between us. By calling your argument weak, I'm not attacking you. What on earth, man?

Your arguments about who's allowed to comment on the issue, and how much an issue it actually is are weak. July 24th is the 30 day mark from day one, and it's too soon to bring up return numbers (regardless of how solid the data is) ESPECIALLY when Apple talked like the software update around the corner would fix this.

Secondly, all the nonsense I posted WAS MEANT TO BE NONSENSE. My comment was a facetious parallel to yours. You basically set up a complete strawman argument, literally pointing to stuff I never said and calling it my 'mine', followed with your side presented as the most logical comparatively to the lie.

Have a good night.
post #216 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Why not just return your phone and get an Android device then?

Because he moved from Verizon to AT&T only for iPhone 4?
post #217 of 221
Could it be that Steve Jobs was encountering the same issues during his iPhone 4 keynote event? He did blame the bloggers in the room at the time, didn't he?

Anyway, this is turning into a nasty soap for Apple. Half baked explanations are making their - otherwise state of the art - design & engineering team look silly. I don't really buy into the software fix explanation.

I am getting very wary of this phone now. How come Apple does not counteract the findings from Consumer Reports with "real" scientific lab tests?
post #218 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Really?

Come on now, clearly there are some issues with this product. Maybe it's the end of mankind or maybe not, but don't you want to wait and see what Apple comes up with first?

Mine is going back on the 29th day if I don't hear SOMETHING from Steve Mobs. I'm afraid after all these years of being an Apple customer, I expect their products to "just work." Got that idea in my head from someplace.

Yes, really. The only reason I haven't bought it yet is that it has to be shipped to an AT&T billing address and requires a signature, and I can't be home to sign for it. So as soon as it's available at Best Buy I will buy it.

I know how I use my iPhone -- I almost always talk using the earphones/mic. That means this issue won't affect me. So why would I delay purchasing a substantially better phone? That wouldn't make any sense.
post #219 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Yes, really. The only reason I haven't bought it yet is that it has to be shipped to an AT&T billing address and requires a signature, and I can't be home to sign for it. So as soon as it's available at Best Buy I will buy it.

I know how I use my iPhone -- I almost always talk using the earphones/mic. That means this issue won't affect me. So why would I delay purchasing a substantially better phone? That wouldn't make any sense.

I imagine you don't websurf with it in your pocket though so you probably would get a benefit from a substantially better phone. And the proximity sensor may also function better in a substantially better phone too.

It's up to you of course, but maybe delaying a little could deliver benefits.
post #220 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelong View Post

"A 10% restocking fee applies to all iPhone purchases, except where prohibited. The 10% restocking fee does not apply if the device was purchased without AT&T service (device only sale) and returned unopened."

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...urn-policy.jsp

Apple has stated that the iPhone 4 can be returned for a full credit - and AT&T is honoring that regardless of their standard policies.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #221 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

if people have issues with their phone bring it the f### back. Can we get on with life? This is so lame.

Getting the iPhone in the first place was no easy project. I had to order on Apple's website because AT&T wasn't taking orders and it took about 3 weeks to get the thing. So to think that returning is easy to do, think again. And please, don't use the F word. That is so ugly.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Every week Apple doesn't act on iPhone 4 antenna could cost $200M