or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Survey: iPhone killing interest in RIM, satisfying more users than Android

Survey: iPhone killing interest in RIM, satisfying more users than Android

post #1 of 48
A survey asking than 4,000 users about their future plans to buy a smartphone and their current satisfaction with their existing phone indicates Apple is erasing interest in BlackBerry devices among consumers while its iPhones continue to leave customers far more satisfied than any other smartphone on the market.

A report on the survey, published by ChangeWave Research, also indicates a massive surge in interest among consumers interested in buying a smartphone over the next 90 days. The firm found that 52% of those surveyed plan to buy an iPhone, up from 31% saying the same just three months ago.

Interest in HTC phones has grown slightly while Motorola's numbers were down, resulting in overall flat growth in interest among consumers in Android as a platform. Interest in RIM's BlackBerry and Palm smartphones trailed off dramatically, falling from 14% to just 6% for RIM, while Palm's 3% dropped to less than 1% across the same three month period.

Customer satisfaction among smartphone users remained very high for iPhone users, with 73% saying they were "very satisfied." Only 39% of HTC users said the same, and just 34% of Motorola and Palm users did. Among other smartphones, including RIM's seemingly popular BlackBerry, just 20% to 31% of users could say they were "very satisfied." RIM's satisfaction rankings have been dropping steadily for the past seven quarters, according to ChangeWave.

"In recent quarters RIM models appear to have lost their 'cool factor,' and the onus is now squarely on RIM to regain consumers' confidence in their products," ChangeWave wrote. "To do so they need new, highly compelling offerings that can compete on an equal footing with the best that Apple and Android have to offer. Otherwise, RIM's future growth may increasingly be limited to the success or failure of its lower cost models on the international market."

Paired with the very low number of users planning to buy a RIM smartphone, ChangeWave's data indicates BlackBerry users who have been exposed to the iPhone are hooked, and not looking back. Additionally, users who have shifted from BlackBerry to Android report being far less satisfied than those who have moved to Apple's iPhone.
post #2 of 48
. . . how similar iPhone 4 is to Vista???!!! ;-)

Daniel Swanson

Daniel Swanson

post #3 of 48
Gee Daniel, what a pity the survey was done before concerns about the iP4 antenna issues became widespread. Desperate to play down the bad PR with this now irrelevant piece?

Spin on, DED, spin on...
post #4 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

Gee Daniel, what a pity the survey was done before concerns about the iP4 antenna issues became widespread. Desperate to play down the bad PR with this now irrelevant piece?

Spin on, DED, spin on...

Iphone 4 owner here...very satisfied
post #5 of 48
Quote:

Spin on, DED, spin on...

Gee Chopper, what a pity some people are completely satisfied with their iPhone. I've had my iP4 since launch day - completely satisfied.

I'd say the report is very relevant.
post #6 of 48
Someone should tell HP about the Palm Pre purchase intentions!

McD
Why does somebody ask me a question, I can never understand, I can never provide the answer, but believe I can.
Why does somebody ask me a question, I can never understand, I can never provide the answer, but believe I can.
post #7 of 48
Clearly 100% of that other 27% are U.S. based.
post #8 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscottmyers View Post

Gee Chopper, what a pity some people are completely satisfied with their iPhone. I've had my iP4 since launch day - completely satisfied.

Nexus one with android 2.2

2.2 has made this a new phone and i am very happy with it. fast, flash works like a charm, and i can tether or use as an access point. i don't have faceview/facetime or whatever its called but i really could care less. used blackberry for years, and have an ipod touch. see no reason to go iphone.
still love my macbook pro though. will get a new one soon i imagine.
post #9 of 48
How about Satisfied and Very Satisfied numbers put together? I'm a very happy iPhone user, but it seems like you are manipulating the numbers to show what you want people to see.
post #10 of 48
This survey must be flawed because all the douchebag bloggers claim the world is ending because the iPhone 4 is the biggest failure ever! <-Insert sarcasm here. Maybe if they removed their heads from their butts they would get better reception! I am a very satisfied iPhone 4 user, far better than the original with better reception, especially in places where I never could get a signal using the original iPhone.
post #11 of 48
WOW Daniel. How do you make up this stuff. You have become so irresponsible reporting.

How do you come up with your article heading from a survey comparing apples iPhone to HTC dumb phones? Somehow this is a comparison to Android? Exactly where does this survey compare iPhone to android?
post #12 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

WOW Daniel. How do you make up this stuff. You have become so irresponsible reporting.

How do you come up with your article heading from a survey comparing apples iPhone to HTC dumb phones? Somehow this is a comparison to Android? Exactly where does this survey compare iPhone to android?

Seriously dude...

HTC sells exactly 0 dumbphones. They are the largest seller of Android phones. Your precious NExus 1 is also HTC. As are half your Droids.

They sold a small number of Windows Mobile phones, but I assure you that amount is trending towards 0 over the last year.

Motorola OTOH is not a very good comparison since they do indeed sell a large number of dumbphones.
post #13 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

Ahhhhh, dm3 - nudge-nudge, wink-wink. Ahem, silly old you - you are obviously and rather painfully mistaken in your comment. Let me alleviate you of some of that embarrassment:

Quote:
ChangeWave's latest smart phone survey of 4,028 consumers shows an explosive transformation occurring in consumer demand resulting in some major new winners and losers for second half 2010.

The survey completed June 24th took a close-up look at consumer demand for the new Apple iPhone 4 and the HTC Droid Incredible, along with the impact these and other offerings are having on the rest of the smart phone industry.

Among key emerging trends:

Next 90 day projections show the most extensive growth in consumer smart phone sales ever recorded in a ChangeWave survey
Big leaps forward for Apple and HTC are occurring at the expense of Motorola and RIM
The accompanying transformation in mobile OS preferences is being led by a huge increase in demand for the Apple OS and an accelerating downturn for the RIM OS

Keywords to look for dm3 - I bolded them for you to help you out...right from the actual article referenced no less.

No, no. No need to thank me.
post #14 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlacz View Post

How about Satisfied and Very Satisfied numbers put together? I'm a very happy iPhone user, but it seems like you are manipulating the numbers to show what you want people to see.

Why didn't we see it??!! Change Wave has a vested interest in misrepresenting the survey numbers to demonstrate a profound lack of accuracy - so that industry purchasers will ignore their offerings and allow them to go quietly into bankruptcy. Now it all suddenly makes sense.

Or was the sarcasm too heavy there? I can never tell this late in the evening.
post #15 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtosh View Post

Iphone 4 owner here...very satisfied

I'm very happy for you.

New 3Gs owner here and so far so good. Huge leap over my E63.
post #16 of 48
Quote:

Spin on, DED, spin on...

Gee Chopper would it not be a painful experience to find out that all the calumny you are heaping on it is in vain? And yes, I too am avery satisfied iPhone 4 owner - AFTER checking out every other smartphone out there (at the time) last month, the rest of the players are still 20th century crack boxes for ubergeeks and biz emailers.

DISCLAIMER: I am expressing a personal opinion here, based on personal experience - your mileage and experience may vary.
No other interface, short of perhaps the Palm, comes close to the iPhone 4 in smoothness of operation, length of battery/time in operation, ease of use or variety of truly useful apps. And of course some truly silly ones too. It sits well in the hand - I have not had the antenna issues other have reported. Conversely in fact I have found it to be able to hold signal where my previous 1gen iPhone failed miserably. My data rates have been excellent, the camera takes very nice pix, shoots excellent video, multitasks at a very acceptably level and organized seven screen of apps down to three. One brief proximity sensor issue - rebooted and it went away, not to reoccur.

SECOND DISCLAIMER: None of the positive experiences I have had with my iPhone 4 are meant to in any way denigrate, cast aspersions on or challenge the very real problems of those who in fact are having issues with their iPhone 4s. You all have my profound sympathies.
post #17 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscottmyers View Post

I'm happy that you're happy.

Doesn't change the fact that the antenna issue and proximity sensor issue publicity have made the survey, which was completed by June 24, largely irrelevant considering its terms of reference. How many people had an iP4 on June 24, for a start, and how many of those were actually surveyed?

If you still think the results are meaningful, you're choosing to ignore the obvious. And Daniel will be very pleased with you.
post #18 of 48
I don't really remember blackberry ever being cool. Maybe I'm too young but I always knew they were a great business tool, but not a personal device of choice. That was either razr or sidekick before the iPhone came around.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #19 of 48
Somehow I don't think Reuters will be screaming headlines about this...
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

Gee Chopper would it not be a painful experience to find out that all the calumny you are heaping on it is in vain? And yes, I too am avery satisfied iPhone 4 owner - AFTER checking out every other smartphone out there (at the time) last month, the rest of the players are still 20th century crack boxes for ubergeeks and biz emailers.

And I'm also happy for you and however many other satisfied iP4 owners post their confirmations here. And after spending as much as you have, I'd certainly hope so.

However, my post was pointing out that the info cited in DED's piece is a poorly disguised attempt to pour oil on the troubled iPhone waters, as he was using a report that pre-dates the iP4 hullabaloo, to promote the phone's satisfaction rating. I doubt very much that it's anywhere near as high now.

But feel free to believe that because you're very satisfied with your purchase that recent events have had no negative impact on the iP4's perceived status. Daniel will also be pleased with your take.

post #21 of 48
Quote:

Spin on, DED, spin on...

Best iDevice I've ever owned!

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

post #22 of 48
Best phone I've ever had. And I had the first version of the iPhone before this.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
post #23 of 48
*Sigh*

post #24 of 48
I know multiple people who use android and blackberries that would switch to a iPhone if only it was on there carrier. Apple is giving these phones time to catch up by not being on all the carriers.
post #25 of 48
So I guess we'll have to wait until next month to see how the "concerns" of mainly non-iPhone 4 users stacks up against the satisfaction of iPhone 4 USERS.

Quote:

Spin on, DED, spin on...
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #26 of 48
These comparison's arent exactly fair to Blackberry and other manufacturers because:

1) Blackberry's are often forced upon employees of corporation who do not want these things/want a different phone. I know for a fact as a lawyer, many of us despise our blackberrys as they are ways for our bosses to call us into work guilt free.

2) Many of the manufacturers also manufacture dumb phones and entry level phones that people may not be as satisfied with, just because they are cheap.

That said, every iPhone owner I know loves their phone and every Android owner I know loves their phone as well.

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

post #27 of 48
Quote:

*Sigh*

Yes, "sigh". Now go back to your hole, troll.
post #28 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So I guess we'll have to wait until next month to see how the "concerns" of mainly non-iPhone 4 users stacks up against the satisfaction of iPhone 4 USERS.

Yep. I guess so. Pity the writer of the 'article' didn't wait "until next month", or feel it was important enough to point out that the survey pre-dated the antenna issues' widespread exposure though.

That's DED for you. Disingenuous little astroturfer that he is. AI's continued use of the guy seriously compromises any impartiality it might claim. He's incapable of impartiality - if it doesn't make Apple look positive, he won't 'report' it.

As to the satisfaction of the iP4 owner, another poster has suggested that the real measure would be how many owners chose to keep their current iP4 if Apple offered a new unit following a recall.

Would you?

And I'm not actually expecting you to answer that for obvious reasons.
post #29 of 48
...and what sort of astroturfer are you?

Fandroid?

Bottom feeding troll shark joining the feeding frenzy when there is a hint of blood in the water?

The Internet is full of the latter lately.

Quote:

Yep. I guess so. Pity the writer of the 'article' didn't wait "until next month", or feel it was important enough to point out that the survey pre-dated the antenna issues' widespread exposure though.

That's DED for you. Disingenuous little astroturfer that he is. AI's continued use of the guy seriously compromises any impartiality it might claim. He's incapable of impartiality - if it doesn't make Apple look positive, he won't 'report' it.

As to the satisfaction of the iP4 owner, another poster has suggested that the real measure would be how many owners chose to keep their current iP4 if Apple offered a new unit following a recall.

Would you?

And I'm not actually expecting you to answer that for obvious reasons.
post #30 of 48
Quote:

...and what sort of astroturfer are you?

Fandroid?

Bottom feeding troll shark joining the feeding frenzy when there is a hint of blood in the water?

The Internet is full of the latter lately.

Interesting.

I responded to your points and you're only offering insults in return? My opinion of DED is borne out by facts. If you can show me an 'article' where he is actually critical of anything Apple, then I will agree that I'm a bottom-feeding troll shark astroturfer. Fair enough?

Meanwhile, I'll put your response to me down to you being temporarily irrational owing to the overwhelming criticism Apple has been getting here lately, as well as further afield. I won't take it personally. Unless you insist that I do, because you actually mean the things you wrote about me?

Your call.

And in case you missed the news, I bought a 3Gs today and so far it's working like a champ. Just saying...
post #31 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I don't really remember blackberry ever being cool. Maybe I'm too young but I always knew they were a great business tool, but not a personal device of choice. That was either razr or sidekick before the iPhone came around.

I think there is a section of the population (in most developed countries) that is attracted to the Blackberry because they associate it with some form of business success (because in the early days only senior people at businesses had one). Cool is not quite the right word may be "status enhancing". But this would only be for that section of the population that considers business success generates status.
post #32 of 48
Quote:

And I'm also happy for you and however many other satisfied iP4 owners post their confirmations here. And after spending as much as you have, I'd certainly hope so.

However, my post was pointing out that the info cited in DED's piece is a poorly disguised attempt to pour oil on the troubled iPhone waters, as he was using a report that pre-dates the iP4 hullabaloo, to promote the phone's satisfaction rating. I doubt very much that it's anywhere near as high now.

Do you really believe that some large fraction of the new owners, who were so eager that they spent a day fighting a broken reservation system at Apple and then waited for hours in line to get the first iPhone 4's, will now conclude it was all a mistake because some small fraction might need to use a case to get the best reception in a marginal area?
post #33 of 48
Most of the criticism around the web, comes from people who don't even have the iPhone 4, have no intention of getting an iPhone 4 and attack anything that remotely suggests that this issue really does not affect those who actually have an iPhone 4 all that much.

There is no data to say what percentage of the millions of iPhone 4 users are affected by this.

It takes time to collect and collate such data, hence the delay in publishing the results which form the basis of this article.

Quote:

Interesting.

I responded to your points and you're only offering insults in return? My opinion of DED is borne out by facts. If you can show me an 'article' where he is actually critical of anything Apple, then I will agree that I'm a bottom-feeding troll shark astroturfer. Fair enough?

Meanwhile, I'll put your response to me down to you being temporarily irrational owing to the overwhelming criticism Apple has been getting here lately, as well as further afield. I won't take it personally. Unless you insist that I do, because you actually mean the things you wrote about me?

Your call.

And in case you missed the news, I bought a 3Gs today and so far it's working like a champ. Just saying...
post #34 of 48
Also a very happy ip4 user! No complaints as well as all my friends who have it as well

All these bandwagon hopping haters can suck it.
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
post #35 of 48
Quote:

Spin on, DED, spin on...

And here I am another very satisfied user of my iPhone (3G) and eager to buy the iP4 with or without antenna fix as soon as the rollout in my country starts. My benefit of this silly fuzz about the antenna issue is very simple: The iP4- supply issue may be a little bit to my favor now.
post #36 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormM View Post

Do you really believe that some large fraction of the new owners, who were so eager that they spent a day fighting a broken reservation system at Apple and then waited for hours in line to get the first iPhone 4's, will now conclude it was all a mistake because some small fraction might need to use a case to get the best reception in a marginal area?

Nope. I don't think so at all. And I haven't a clue how you even came to such an unrelated conclusion from what I wrote. I'll guess that you didn't actually read it, and you just assumed it was an attack on Apple. The survey was taken before people had time to discover for themselves that they had an antenna flaw. The subsequent discussions alerted people to the possibility that their phones might be similarly affected so people, including people on this very forum, tested their own phones. Perhaps even you did?

My point is stated above so I won't repeat it.
post #37 of 48
Quote:

Most of the criticism around the web, comes from people who don't even have the iPhone 4, have no intention of getting an iPhone 4 and attack anything that remotely suggests that this issue really does not affect those who actually have an iPhone 4 all that much.

There is no data to say what percentage of the millions of iPhone 4 users are affected by this.

It takes time to collect and collate such data, hence the delay in publishing the results which form the basis of this article.

And I'll repeat that Daniel Eran Dilger is the biggest Apple suck-up on this good Earth and he'll lob anything he can scratch up to try to discredit anyone who utters anything remotely critical of Apple. This out of date survey is a classic example of his attempt at damage control on Apple's behalf. I would hope that most here would have learnt by now that his 'articles' are nothing more than Apple-defending spin, but apparently not.

However long it took to get the report out the door, DED knew that it was outdated before he sat down to compose his sycophancy, but he used it anyway and never disclosed the fact it was out of date. If I hadn't looked at the original report, you wouldn't know it and neither would the posters above who gleefully tell us how satisfied they are.

Thanks DED for another biased load of irrelevant spin.

I never claimed any percentages and I'll leave that to people more skilled than I.

Put me in the group of folk who won't be getting an iP4 until I know this issue is either nothing or has been fixed. Otherwise, let's see what the iP5 looks like.
post #38 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

And here I am another very satisfied user of my iPhone (3G) and eager to buy the iP4 with or without antenna fix as soon as the rollout in my country starts. My benefit of this silly fuzz about the antenna issue is very simple: The iP4- supply issue may be a little bit to my favor now.

Then I am also very happy for you. Enjoy your iP4 with or without antenna fix when it's rolled out. And enjoy whatever other benefits the noise-making "haters" and "whingers" have wrought on your behalf while the apologists just rolled over.

You're welcome.
post #39 of 48
There is a reason the iPhone has what is likely the most dropped calls in the industry, and it is not just that AT&T sucks. It is because there are a lot of people using iPhones who probably shouldn't be. They know they get horrible AT&T coverage where they are, but they use AT&T anyway because they want the iPhone. With other carriers, people who do not get adequate Sprint, Verizon, or T-Mobile coverage don't use those carriers. But people will leap past better coverage on a different network for the express purpose of getting an iPhone. Lord knows my house is an AT&T dead-zone. But I would rather have an iPhone that drops calls in my house than anything else with great reception. I am by no means, alone.

Rather than trying to find ways to poke fun at the iPhone, competitors would be better served trying to understand why so many people love the iPhone, want an iPhone, and are very satisfied with it once they get one. Android is in second place, but it is such a distant second, it should be a different category.

This is why even iPhone 4 users are no doubt, just as satisfied as all other iPhone users. People know when they are in a marginal area and are not surprised by the fact that they do not get great reception. Heck, people have been holding their nose on the AT&T part of the deal since day one. iPhone 4 users who do actually make calls with their phones instead of just post about dropping bars with the death grip, actually get the same or better reception than with any other iPhone. Anyone hoping to make a career on reducing iPhone 4 satisfaction over this issue had better be a damn good juggler.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
post #40 of 48
I like the iPhone but iPhone 4 isn't the best phone I've had. Some phones I've owned five years ago had better voice calls than I currently get with the iPhone 4. It isn't terrible bad but it isn't optimal either. I will be watching Friday to see what Steve has to say about the antenna issue. And yes it is an issue when you build an antenna out of steel (which is conductive) as an outer band that you know human skin will touch (which is also conductive).

I am troubled by Apple's insincere responses thus far to a design flaw that Steve called genius engineering.

1. The call bars have been calculated wrong since 2007 and that will be addressed in iOS 4.1.

My thought - So my 4-5 AT&T bars at home have been miscalculated. Now I have to put up with a possibility of worse AT&T signal because Apple (known for being very detail oriented) was surprised their call bar calculations were not up to the suggested specifications of AT&T. So they are now going with the AT&T suggested calculation method? So Apple was basically deceiving their customers up to now because they knew AT&T had poor coverage...that is disheartening to me, to say the least.

2. The call bars will be bigger in iOS 4.1.

My thought - With the new Retina display they now think making the bars bigger will provide a sense of security? That is a slap in the face to my intelligence, Apple...

I would like to hear counterpoints about my misgivings to the above. How can you possibly spin this in a positive view? I am on the fence at this point. If Steve responds yet again with indifference to this issue I will likely return the iPhone 4, cancel my AT&T contract (and demand the ETF be waived) and wave goodbye to smartphones for a while. At this point I am starting to feel very ripped off by both cell phone manufacturers and carriers...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Survey: iPhone killing interest in RIM, satisfying more users than Android
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Survey: iPhone killing interest in RIM, satisfying more users than Android