or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference on Friday
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference on Friday - Page 5

post #161 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_JT View Post

This place depresses me. Apple releases a flawed prduct and IQ levels drop to the floor.

It depresses You? Really?

I've got a notion that You enjoy the derogative, plump, personal attacks.

Reviewing Your posts I didn't see any indication of superior intellect.
At least You didn't ad neither something new or profound nor did Your posts raise the level of this discussion.
post #162 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

I got myself Honda Fit recently. In my research I found that that road debris can find its way past the lower grill, strike The AC condenser, and damage it. A few people reported needing to replace their condensers at very low mileage to the tune of $800. Honda has not acknowledged the problem, has not offered any fix, and are not redesigning the grill. Nowhere in car mags do you read about this and the car is constantly rated near the very top of any review.

Hmm, so you are comparing a cosmetic issue reported by a few people to a widely reported issue (reception) that is a main integral part of a product. Hmmm. I can easily compare all the auto recalls that have happened recently to the lack of one from Apple ?
post #163 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsm View Post

Wow...this whole episode proves that there are some really dumb asses in this country.The iPhone 4 is the best cell phone/personal media device EVER created and it is getting trashed by a bunch of tards who cant for the life of them figure out how not to cover that one little area of their phone!

Man there are some stupid people out there.

I wouldn't be too harsh on them. It it's probably just an educational thing. Still I hope for them, that they are not going to loose their minds about the matter. It's just an antenna with it's pros and cons.
post #164 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_JT View Post

Pot calling kettle ....

Oh here's another one with 15 posts who thought they'd join in the AI forums this MONTH to troll around and spread some propaganda.
post #165 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Well, if the world was full of intelligent reasonable people that like hearing the truth then telling people they are holding it wrong would actually be the *best* way to go, since that's essentially the only problem.

The trouble is that Steve and Co. have no idea how the average dumb-ass consumers reacts to statements like that. So, yeah. It was a bad move I guess.

This whole debacle shows off Apple's achilles heel. They make superior products because they are a superior company full of superior human beings, but as a result, they just don't get how regular folks think sometimes. Same with the Hockey puck mouse for the original iMac. To a designer, it's beauty, art, etc. but to the average computer user it was a POS that didn't fit in your hand.

I don't think the antenna is the only issue. Hopefully, they'll address the proximity sensor problem as well. And the poor color balance of the screen. And the poor bluetooth functionality - Oh wait, maybe that's also part of the antenna problem.
post #166 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsm View Post

Wow...this whole episode proves that there are some really dumb asses in this country.The iPhone 4 is the best cell phone/personal media device EVER created and it is getting trashed by a bunch of tards who cant for the life of them figure out how not to cover that one little area of their phone!

Man there are some stupid people out there.

You are right, there are some stupid people out there. One example would be people that think it is normal to have to "figure out how not to cover that one little area of their phone".

Of course, you are also right that it is the best smart phone on the market. But to call every that is experiencing this problem a 'tard' only reflects on your own maturity and intelligence. There is a legitimate problem with the phone. Get over yourself. Perhaps you are ok with having to adjust your normal behavior to use the product. Perhaps you would be OK if your toilet required you to keep one foot in the air while shitting. That is you. It doesn't make people that recognize that fact that there is an issue 'dumbasses' or 'tards'.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #167 of 231
post #168 of 231
My favorite kind of useless wannabe journalism. An opportunity to repeat my favorite Ruud Gullit quote.

"What-if, what-if, what-if?

If my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle."
post #169 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Well, if the world was full of intelligent reasonable people that like hearing the truth then telling people they are holding it wrong would actually be the *best* way to go, since that's essentially the only problem.

The trouble is that Steve and Co. have no idea how the average dumb-ass consumers reacts to statements like that. So, yeah. It was a bad move I guess.

I think the "average dumb-ass consumers" doesn't appreciate being spoken down to or being given condescending, insulting PR notes. I don't think I reasonable person would accept being told that a perfectly normal way of holding the phone is actually wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This whole debacle shows off Apple's achilles heel. They make superior products because they are a superior company full of superior human beings, but as a result, they just don't get how regular folks think sometimes. Same with the Hockey puck mouse for the original iMac. To a designer, it's beauty, art, etc. but to the average computer user it was a POS that didn't fit in your hand.

That really comes off as elitist. Seriously, 'superior human beings'? That is taking hero worship of the company a but far, IMO.

And the hockey puck? To a designer, it should have been recognized as shit, without having to hear it from the "average dumb-ass consumers". If it is useless, it is a bad design. Design is about more that aesthetics. Part of why Apple does well, is that the recognize this. Their designs combine great aesthetics with great function. Aside from the touching problem, the iPhone 4 antenna is a good example. Far superior reception and sensitivity and it looks great. The hockey puck was crap, not because the average computer user thought so. It was crap because it was functionally worthless. And it looked like ass too.

Edit to add:
"Design should not dominate things. Not dominate people. It should help people."
—Dieter Rams

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #170 of 231
The press conference that is.

Let's hope Apple "holds" the press conference properly. Else MS or Google or Adobe or Verizon might have to tell them they "held" it wrong.
post #171 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

Hmm, so you are comparing a cosmetic issue reported by a few people to a widely reported issue (reception) that is a main integral part of a product. Hmmm. I can easily compare all the auto recalls that have happened recently to the lack of one from Apple ?

How is a damaged AC condenser a cosmetic issue? Do you like making cheese in your crotch on a hot day?
post #172 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

I'm still waiting for you to give us details on the mystery survey you keep presenting. You are the one trying to present evidence. It's up to you to prove your point. But I see that you can't prove it. You want to shift the burden of proving your own flawed evidence to someone else. Your evidence is completely useless without details. Evidence without details is the same as NO evidence. So go ahead and keep giving us flawed, mindless, empty charts that prove nothing. Lol. I realize you don't like the truth about the flawed iPhone. But giving us flawed evidence to poorly attempt to prove your point is not the way to do it. Try to find some real evidence next time. And I find it funny you keep using the word whiner, because *you* are one of the biggest whiners on this forum.

Look the survey up yourself. I'm not going to take the time because you'll just ignore it.

The facts are simple. You claim the iPhone is horribly defective and that the problem is widespread.

You've been asked "if it's so defective, why aren't people returning it in droves?" There are no lines at the Apple Store returning the phone, nor are there any reports of significant returns.

Then, Fortune publishes a survey by BMO showing that the number of returns is trivial. Consider it anecdotal evidence if you wish. Consider it non-evidence if you wish. That's all irrelevant. Where is the evidence that the number of returns is significant? Even here - where the whiners all seem to congregate - hardly anyone is talking about returning their phone.

Clearly, the 'problem' is blown way out of proportion and the majority of customers are happy with their iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingApple View Post

I have noticed your whiny posts for weeks now on numerous threads. Your constant whining and badgering is getting really old now. Everyone here knows what you will say as soon as they see your username show up - same old whiny crap. Get something new to discuss and stop repeating yourself over and over. You never bring anything intelligent to add to the discussion, because you are so busy whining. Come back after you gather your thoughts, or not.

And, yet, I don't see a single logical refutation of any point I've made in your posts. Look up 'ad hominem attack'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncaBou View Post

On Friday, if Apple were to acknowledge the design issue has disappointed too many of its customers, whether the problem is considered minor or serious, I think for the sake of the brand image, a full refund to dissatisfied owners should be offered.

They've already done that. Anyone dissatisfied with their iPhone can return it for a full refund.

Amazing how people who want to bash Apple can't even bother to get their basic facts right.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #173 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

How is a damaged AC condenser a cosmetic issue? Do you like making cheese in your crotch on a hot day?

Of course. A hole in your AC compressor is a trivial cosmetic issue, but the need to move your finger 2 mm when you're holding your iPhone is a critical, life and death issue.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #174 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

OMG! What a bunch of whiners the human race has become. Return. The. Damn. Phone. Or STFU.

I got myself Honda Fit recently. In my research I found that that road debris can find its way past the lower grill, strike The AC condenser, and damage it. A few people reported needing to replace their condensers at very low mileage to the tune of $800. Honda has not acknowledged the problem, has not offered any fix, and are not redesigning the grill. Nowhere in car mags do you read about this and the car is constantly rated near the very top of any review.

Well, the Fit is one bitchin' car and I don't want another so I bought it anyway. I got myself some gutter guard mesh and spent 2 hours installing it behind the grill with zip ties. I love this car and I am not going to let a little thing spoil the fun. After about 10 years, I will most likely buy another Honda because, I am a fanboy. Just like Apple, I have found that they make products superior to the competition. Expecting perfection is a losing proposition and leads to misery.

Really, you are a marketer's wet dream. Imagine a consumer who will ignore all faults, as long as you can make them love your product. This is specifically, why some companies push so hard to become 'lifestyle brands'. Few have been successful. Some have been very successful. VW and Honda are both lifestyle brands in the auto industry. Sony used to be in the CE market, but has been replaced by Apple. Previously, Apple was the lifestyle brand for computers. You are buying more that the product and more than the brand.

Buying into the while lifestyle brand is fine. I have been a long time Apple user. I have two Hondas in my driveway (used to be a VW guy). I get the whole brand connection thing. You are right. if you don't like something, don't buy it. If you know of a problem that is too much of a problem for you, then don't buy it. The upside for a lifestyle brand is that their customers are so much more likely to ignore problems in order to buy from that brand.

But, one thing to keep in mind before you tell everyone discussing this issue to just STFU: not everyone is willing to fix the product for the company (as you did with your zip ties). Some still want to buy the product but want the company to fix the problem or even acknowledge it.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #175 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Of course. A hole in your AC compressor is a trivial cosmetic issue, but the need to move your finger 2 mm when you're holding your iPhone is a critical, life and death issue.

Enough with the strawmen. No one has ever said such exaggerated statements about the antenna issues.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #176 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Look the survey up yourself. I'm not going to take the time because you'll just ignore it.

The facts are simple. You claim the iPhone is horribly defective and that the problem is widespread.

You've been asked "if it's so defective, why aren't people returning it in droves?" There are no lines at the Apple Store returning the phone, nor are there any reports of significant returns.

Then, Fortune publishes a survey by BMO showing that the number of returns is trivial. Consider it anecdotal evidence if you wish. Consider it non-evidence if you wish. That's all irrelevant. Where is the evidence that the number of returns is significant? Even here - where the whiners all seem to congregate - hardly anyone is talking about returning their phone.

Clearly, the 'problem' is blown way out of proportion and the majority of customers are happy with their iPhone.

Which is why claims to use the return rate as an indicator of the problem are worthless (beyond merits of the survey itself). You many here has asserted, the problem(s) are experienced by different people in varying degrees.

Even if every phone was susceptible to the problem, there are many reasons people wouldn't return them. Most people might never notice the problem(s), even the bars display issue (how many normal people are looking at their bars while talking?). If they do have signal problems, the last three years have rightfully conditioned most people to assume it is a problem with AT&T's network. Others might reside and work in areas with such strong signals that they haven't had the problem(s) cause issues for them yet. Others might have decided to simply buy a bumper. Some might be waiting to see what Apple has in store as a fix/workaround. Others might have decided that they will consciously note and adjust their behavior to avoid the issues when using the phone.

Lots of reasons for a low return rate to be meaningless at this point, even if the problem is inherent in every single unit sold to date (especially given that, aside from the antenna issue, it is clearly a fantastic, superior device). So why even bring it up as though it actually supports a position?

Now, the negative press this is generating (especially the seemingly lack of response from Apple) is potentially hurting potential sales. For myself, I will very likely end up buying one when available, regardless of the outcome, but I would be foolish not to be observing the conversations and Apple's responses before making my decision.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #177 of 231
I could see a recall happening this way:
•We've heard our customers, and while we think the iPhone 4 is our best yet, we've redesigned the antenna
•Go into any Apple store and trade in your phone for the revised model
•Apple will collect the 2+ million phones and rework them with the new design
•these "reworked" phones will be used as the supply of refurbs on hand to give to customers with problematic phones as replacements

Apple is going to need a supply of refurb/replacement phones anyway. While it may be expensive to recall, there is an investment overlap with replacement phones and reputation repair that would take some of the sting out of a huge recall such as this. Just a thought, anyway.
post #178 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Is it a dumb ass mistake that you quoted him wrong? He never said that.

Let's be generous and say that Jobs was not implying that the phone was being held wrong when the bars dropped. Does that mean the bars dropped when held correctly?
post #179 of 231
This is all well and good but I was really hoping for "Thoughts on Holding It."
post #180 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Even here - where the whiners all seem to congregate - hardly anyone is talking about returning their phone.

This is because the majority of the whiners don't actually own the phone...
post #181 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

his whole debacle shows off Apple's achilles heel. They make superior products because they are a superior company full of superior human beings, but as a result, they just don't get how regular folks think sometimes.

That the product has a design flaw has nothing to do with how anyone outside Apple thinks, either the normal or the superior - as you call them.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #182 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by modul8tr View Post

"You're holding it wrong" is a MISQUOTE.

What he said was this: "Non issue. Just avoid holding it in that way."

Wow, because that's way different. Different words, same result of meaning.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #183 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

A whole event to address the iPhone reception problem. Seems fishy. Something else is up. They could simply do a press release and be done with it. They'll announce something else. This isn't a one pony show.

I don't know. They want an event to attempt to control the way this pans out in the media. And the iPhone is the most important revenue earner for them.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #184 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

This is bad.

Very bad.

I almost bet that the answer that Apple is gonna give friday will *not* be a good answer. It won't satisfy the heat.

That's my worry too. Not in terms of Apple getting the heat; they deserve that. Rather though in terms of them fixing the phone on a hardware level like they should, 'cause I want to purchase a fixed one.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #185 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillman View Post

What Apple should say:

It has come to our attention that in a weak signal area - where previously you might get no signal - you might get a dropped call if you are not using a case for your iPhone and happen to place your hand over the antenna in a certain way. Or you might not. In this instance, as a gesture of goodwill we will be giving vouchers to those who are concerned about this issue so they can buy a case of their choosing from any Apple Store. Now be grateful and shut the f**k up about antenna attenuation.

And the media, in that case, will say Apple still refuses to acknowledge and fix the issue. And press gets worse. What are suggesting they do is not intelligent for them.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #186 of 231
TUAW is conducting poll on what's gonna be announced:

Quote:
We're doing a total recall. No wait, Schwarzenegger already did that.........................................1868 (14.8%)
You're holding the damned phone wrong. Let me show you how it's done.........................................1837 (14.6%)
Hey, Microsoft - at least iPhone 4 doesn't suck as bad as Windows Vista!......................................476 (3.8%)
Bumpers for everybody, baby!............................................. ....................................6153 (48.8%)
The special Michael Jackson memorial edition iPhone 4 glove is now available for $29.99 at all Apple Stores...593 (4.7%)
We're giving you a voucher for a free Bluetooth headset. Wait, that doesn't work, either......................146 (1.2%)
We're buying The Unofficial Apple Weblog so they'll stop creating trouble for us..............................360 (2.9%)
We will coat all your hands in lard!............................................. .............................443 (3.5%)
Other - leave us your ideas in the comments below............................................. ................728 (5.8%)

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #187 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

Only to trolls like you. iPhone 4 is absolutely PERFECT.

Let's see if Apple agrees.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #188 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord View Post

Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference on Friday

Well done, Apple. It's all about the "HOLD" thing...

Here, fixed:

Apple to hold iPhone 4; press conference on Friday.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #189 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

OMG! What a bunch of whiners the human race has become. Return. The. Damn. Phone. Or STFU.

The human race? A bit melodramatic, eh? You do know telling people to STFU is a form of whining, right?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #190 of 231
should first work as a phone better. Now from Bloomberg:uly 15 (Bloomberg) -- Apple Inc.s senior antenna expert voiced concern to Chief Executive Officer Steve Jobs in the early design phase of the iPhone 4 that the antenna design could lead to dropped calls, a person familiar with the matter said.

Last year, Ruben Caballero, a senior engineer and antenna expert, informed Apples management the devices design may cause reception problems, said the person, who is not authorized to speak on Apples behalf and asked not to be identified. A carrier partner also raised concerns about the antenna before the devices June 24 release, according to another person familiar with the situation.
post #191 of 231
this is my 4th iphone and none of the others had cases. i don't want to cover up my phone or make it more bulky. right now i have 6 pieces of scotch tape layered over one another to cover up the seam, but it's not an elegant solution at all.

for those of you who say it's a non-issue or that there is no reception problem: 42 of the 42 people i know with an iPhone 4 have this issue. i can stand 4 feet in front of my microcell and go from full signal to no service in about a minute and a half just by holding the phone in my hand the way anyone would ever hold any phone to talk on it.
post #192 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

The press conference that is.

Let's hope Apple "holds" the press conference properly. Else MS or Google or Adobe or Verizon might have to tell them they "held" it wrong.

The quote was "just don't hold it that way".
post #193 of 231
July 15 (Bloomberg) -- Apple Inc.’s senior antenna expert voiced concern to Chief Executive Officer Steve Jobs in the early design phase of the iPhone 4 that the antenna design could lead to dropped calls, a person familiar with the matter said.

Last year, Ruben Caballero, a senior engineer and antenna expert, informed Apple’s management the device’s design may cause reception problems, said the person, who is not authorized to speak on Apple’s behalf and asked not to be identified. A carrier partner also raised concerns about the antenna before the device’s June 24 release, according to another person familiar with the situation.

The latest model of the iPhone carries a metal antenna that surrounds the outside of the device -- a design chosen by Apple executives because it yielded a lighter, thinner handset. It has also resulted in reception problems that led Consumer Reports to refrain from endorsing the iPhone 4, weighed on the company’s shares and stepped up pressure on Apple to issue a fix.

Steve Dowling, a spokesman for Apple, declined to comment and said he wouldn’t make Caballero available for an interview. Caballero didn’t respond to a call and an e-mail seeking comment. Apple plans to hold a press conference tomorrow about the device. Dowling declined to elaborate on what will be discussed.

Apple broke sales records with the iPhone 4, which debuted June 24 in the U.S., the U.K., Japan, France and Germany. The exclusive U.S. carrier is AT&T Inc. Apple’s European partners include Vodafone Group Plc, France Telecom SA and Deutsche Telekom AG. Softbank Corp. carries the iPhone 4 in Japan.

Brand Risk

In the first three days, the company sold 1.7 million devices, the most for any iteration of its top-selling product.

Tests carried out by one of the phone service providers before the device was released also indicated the antenna might cause reception problems, said a person who asked not to be identified because discussions with Apple aren’t public.

Apple, which has built its brand on delivering cool, meticulously crafted designs, may alienate customers as critics continue to point out reception flaws with its device.

Consumer Reports said it isn’t recommending the iPhone 4 following tests confirming the handset has a hardware shortcoming that causes signal quality to degrade. The publication has recommended the three previous iPhone models.

Apple, based in Cupertino, California, declined $3.46 to $249.27 on the Nasdaq Stock Market at 9:39 a.m. New York time. The shares had risen 20 percent this year before today.

The company’s stock fell on July 13 on speculation that the Consumer Reports decision may curtail demand among consumers who are on the fence about whether to buy the iPhone 4. Some blogs and a betting company that tracks odds of events said attention to the shortcoming raises the possibility of a product recall -- a development analysts deemed unlikely.

Stock Impact

“The stock is being impacted by general concerns about the impact this is having to the brand, and the financial impact, and the uncertainty about what Apple will do about this,” said Andy Hargreaves, an analyst at Pacific Crest Securities in Portland, Oregon. “A product recall is extremely unlikely.”

Soon after Apple released the iPhone 4 in June, some customers complained about problems losing their signal. Apple last month advised users to buy a case or avoid gripping it in the lower-left corner “in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band.”

“Gripping any mobile phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas,” Apple said.

The company also said that a software error, dating to the June 2007 release of the first iPhone, has resulted in overstated signal strength, leading users to believe they had better reception than they did. Apple said on July 2 that a software fix will be released “within a few weeks.”

Lengthy Design

With the fix, Apple said it’s adopting a new formula to more accurately calculate how many bars to display.

Apple’s industrial design team, led by Jonathan Ive, submitted several iPhone designs before Jobs and other executives settled on the bezel antenna, said the person familiar with the company’s design. Caballero, the antenna expert, voiced concern in early planning meetings that it might lead to dropped calls and presented a serious engineering challenge, the person said.

The metal bezel surrounding the handset would need to be separated in sections to create individual antennas capable of handling particular ranges of the radio frequencies for different wireless networks, the person said. If a user covered one of the seams between the sections, their finger would act as a conductive material, interfering with the signal, the person said. Consumer Reports suggests iPhone 4 users cover the antenna with duct tape to help mitigate reception woes.

Best-Selling Product

Apple has released an updated version of the iPhone each year since the first model made its debut, including the iPhone 3G in 2008, and the speedier iPhone 3GS in 2009. The iPhone was Apple’s biggest moneymaker last quarter, outselling the Macintosh computer and accounting for 40 percent of sales.

Phone design, from concept to production, can take anywhere from six to 10 months, said Jeff Shamblin, chief technology officer of Ethertronics Inc., a San Diego-based antenna manufacturer whose clients include Samsung Electronics Co.

“The phone keeps changing and it does affect antenna performance,” Shamblin said. “The antenna engineer needs to go back and redesign and retest several times.”

Tests are also conducted by carriers, which help identify potential problems, he said. The Federal Communications Commission also examines the phone, though its review is typically limited to checking whether the phone functions within the allocated frequency bands. The FCC also checks to make sure the phone doesn’t interfere with other devices.

Challenging Test Process

As phones and smartphones have become more complex, the testing process has become challenging, Shamblin said. In years past, engineers conducted tests on phones held against a person’s head, he said. “Now, you have to test against a cell phone sitting on a desk, in a user’s lap, being used on speakerphone while operated with two hands,” he said.

Apple increased that difficulty by innovating on the antenna design. “There’s always risk when you develop a new antenna technology,” he said.

Consumer Reports tested the iPhone and other phones offered by Dallas-based AT&T in an isolation chamber with a device that simulates a carrier’s cell towers.

“None of those phones had the signal-loss problems of the iPhone 4,” the organization said. “The tests also indicate that AT&T’s network might not be the primary suspect in the iPhone 4’s much-reported signal woes.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...cut-calls.html
post #194 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

I have no doubt Apple will remain exceedingly profitable while their products continue to sell regardless of their flaws.

It is the change of attitude from one of design and utility in concert to one more heavily-dependent on design, and the lack of a strong challenger that worries me. And unfortunately, the overall handling of this saga has been subpar compared to previous incidents like the original iPhone price drop.

It's the Dark Knight syndrome. "Live long enough to see yourself become the villain."


Well I have to agree, somewhat, with the theory that Apple's attitude changed "from one of design and utility in concert to one more heavily-dependent on design".

However this attitude changed in 1978 with the release of the Apple ][ (the Apple I was a motherboard computer).

For example:
--the very first Apple ][s did not have slots in the sides to allow heat to escape
-- Steve Jobs would never allow Apple to include a [noisy] fan inside the case
-- Woz prided himself in using the fewest number of chips on a circuit board and placing them in such a way that they, and the solder traces, presented an aesthetically pleasing design.

Over the years Apple has tried to:
-- minimize cable clutter
-- eliminate power bricks, where possible
-- use all-in-one design to eliminate multiple boxes on the desktop
-- use form [design] to maximize utility with the first iBook clamshell computer



And then, there is the iPhone: the first: Cell Phone; Music Player; Web Surfer-- that was minimalist, utilitarian, easy-to-use, attractive, reliable, that you could "put in your pocket".


By some measures, Apple has changed the "tech" world at least 3 times (you pick 'em):
-- the original Apple ][
-- the Mac
-- the iPod
-- the iPhone
-- the iPad

A significant part of all these devices was that they had a balance of "design and utility" that made them useful and appealing to potential customers... to the degree that they could change the "tech world".


So, yeah. Apple's attitude did change-- 32 years ago. And it seems to have served them pretty wel l over all those years.

.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #195 of 231
What a disaster this has become. Again, I'm so glad I returned my iPhone 4 a couple of weeks ago. I can now sit back and watch it all unfold.

I feel bad for Apple, but it also sucks for me because I really wanted to like the new iPhone. I finally thought that the iPhone 4 was the upgrade I've been waiting for (from my iPhone 3G) and I was truly disappointed that they've actually made a worse phone this time.

I'm a huge Apple supporter and all I've ever owned are Macs and iPods/iPhones but I can't support them on this one.
post #196 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

At least they're going to address it. Even Apple knows that staying quiet with an issue this big (or saying "you're holding it wrong") is a dumbass mistake.

Is it going to stop dropped calls or simply give false bars???
post #197 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can't see them giving away Bumpers, but I can see them offering a store credit. They did that with the original iPhone for $100 when they had no obligation to appease anyone. It was all "dramage" control.

Hopefully we'll get some real technical answers out of the press release.

HeHe: "dramage" control... good one!


Well, many here have been saying: "give Apple a chance" to perform (or somesuch).

I think that time is approaching!

It will be interesting to see if they can satisfy: buyers with legitimate problems, shareholders and the press; while keeping politicians, lawyers and regulators at bay. (I see where Sen Schumer has already inserted himself into the fray).


My money is on AAPL, that Apple will do the right thing!

.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #198 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Now featuring NO antenna, we use the electrical properties of the users own body as the antenna!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

actually that's a pretty good idea!

Except you wouldn't be able to make phone calls while:

-- close dancing
-- wrestling
-- other "close contact" activities

... "Whatcha doing?"

.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #199 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerofTruth View Post

Sure I've had trouble. But, i'm still on the first gen iphone, so i'm not complaining. it served me well, for 3 years, (well maybe not the SAME phone, but 3 just like it). I'm waiting for the white one since I didn't get a choice of colors the first time and pocket lint looks so tacky on a black iPhone.

I'm trying to make light of the situation here. It seems that some people have issues. Issues with their phones and issues with their temper. They're not the first ones to have Apple products that don't work as advertised. For the most part, Apple fixes the problem if there is one, eventually. There are a lot of people who post here who know what I'm talking about. Whether it was a Powerbook titanium that the paint peeled off, or a first gen G5 Mac Pro with a leaking cpu cooler, or any, ANY version of the iMac flatscreen (not the lamp one, that one was ok). They all have had some issue and usually been taken care of. Remember the first iPhone fiasco? I got a $99 giftcard out of it and a lot of people had issues with their giftcards. I take all of these in stride since life is too short to have a stroke over this crap.

So to answer your question, it was a joke. A joke to see what does Apple do to try to calm these people who have had such a horrible thing done to them that they should seek a support group.
/SARCASM


Ahh.... sanity!

.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #200 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I

And the hockey puck? To a designer, it should have been recognized as shit, without having to hear it from the "average dumb-ass consumers". If it is useless, it is a bad design. Design is about more that aesthetics. Part of why Apple does well, is that the recognize this. Their designs combine great aesthetics with great function. Aside from the touching problem, the iPhone 4 antenna is a good example. Far superior reception and sensitivity and it looks great. The hockey puck was crap, not because the average computer user thought so. It was crap because it was functionally worthless. And it looked like ass too.

Edit to add:
"Design should not dominate things. Not dominate people. It should help people."
Dieter Rams

Yes! Bauhaus: Form follows function!


.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference on Friday