or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference on Friday
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference on Friday - Page 6

post #201 of 231
Quote:
Stock Impact

The stock is being impacted by general concerns about the impact this is having to the brand, and the financial impact, and the uncertainty about what Apple will do about this, said Andy Hargreaves, an analyst at Pacific Crest Securities in Portland, Oregon.

That's a lot of impact!

Now that everyone knows the phone has problems, people who own them will be ashamed to let others know they bought one. Instead of showing off their new gadget, they will buy a case to hide it. In fact someone should make those cases that Apple was using to disguise the prototypes as a 3GS.

Problem solved.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #202 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

HeHe: "dramage" control... good one!


Well, many here have been saying: "give Apple a chance" to perform (or somesuch).

I think that time is approaching!

It will be interesting to see if they can satisfy: buyers with legitimate problem, shareholders and the press; while keeping politicians, lawyers and regulators at bay. (I see where Sen Schumer has already inserted himself into the fray).


My money is on AAPL, that Apple will do the right thing!

.

EXACTLY!

When 4.0.1 comes out with its SOFTWARE fix for the problem, and Jobs comes out and declares victory on Friday, all you naysayers will feel so stupid!

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply
post #203 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Really, you are a marketer's wet dream. Imagine a consumer who will ignore all faults, as long as you can make them love your product. This is specifically, why some companies push so hard to become 'lifestyle brands'. Few have been successful. Some have been very successful. VW and Honda are both lifestyle brands in the auto industry. Sony used to be in the CE market, but has been replaced by Apple. Previously, Apple was the lifestyle brand for computers. You are buying more that the product and more than the brand.

Buying into the while lifestyle brand is fine. I have been a long time Apple user. I have two Hondas in my driveway (used to be a VW guy). I get the whole brand connection thing. You are right. if you don't like something, don't buy it. If you know of a problem that is too much of a problem for you, then don't buy it. The upside for a lifestyle brand is that their customers are so much more likely to ignore problems in order to buy from that brand.

But, one thing to keep in mind before you tell everyone discussing this issue to just STFU: not everyone is willing to fix the product for the company (as you did with your zip ties). Some still want to buy the product but want the company to fix the problem or even acknowledge it.

You are WAAAY off base here. Let's look at the facts. Take this Honda Fit. My 1991 Accord (still running great thank you) informs me as to what sort of priorities Honda puts into their cars. I also test drove many, many new cars before I bought the Fit. I knew about this AC issue and a few other nitpicks before I put my money down and it did not concern me.

I made a decision based ON MY OWN SELF-INTERESTS. I get a reasonably priced car that will last 200K+ miles with proper maintenance, get 40+ real world highway miles to the gallon, and hold me, my passengers and all our stuff with room to spare...plus it's a blast to drive. I could not find any other car in its price range that even held a candle to it (my opinion). So I had to put in $3 worth of parts and 2 hours of my time to fix a bug in the design. Cosmetically, there is no issue as the zip ties cannot be seen from the outside. Do you find something irrational about my decision? You would rather I look for the non-existent perfect car instead?

Now if you are asking would I prefer Honda fix this, yes, I would. But if they don't, I have a choice and that choice is to buy another car and accept that car's flaws. People design and manufacture these products and they will always have some flaws in them. The iPhone FUD bothers me because to this date, YOU CAN STILL RETURN THE FRICKIN PHONE, GET YOUR MONEY BACK, AND GET YOURSELF AN ANDROID INSTEAD. So what exactly is the problem?

If I was Jobs, my press conference would just say..."we extend the return period to 60 days from your purchase date, thank you and good night." I'd like to see how many of the whiners are willing to return their iphones. Plus, more refurbished iphones for the rest of us.
post #204 of 231
S. Jobs walks on stage in front of black screen.

Welcomes everyone, "Thanks for coming."

"Regarding the issue of iPhone 4 problems... (Presses button on macbook...)

Black screen lights up with...

"F*** YOU!"

S. Jobs: "Thanks again for coming out today. We really appreciate it!"

S. Jobs walks off stage.


(Sorry if this offends... it's meant to be a joke, folks)
post #205 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

You are WAAAY off base here. Let's look at the facts. Take this Honda Fit. My 1991 Accord (still running great thank you) informs me as to what sort of priorities Honda puts into their cars. I also test drove many, many new cars before I bought the Fit. I knew about this AC issue and a few other nitpicks before I put my money down and it did not concern me.

I made a decision based ON MY OWN SELF-INTERESTS. I get a reasonably priced car that will last 200K+ miles with proper maintenance, get 40+ real world highway miles to the gallon, and hold me, my passengers and all our stuff with room to spare...plus it's a blast to drive. I could not find any other car in its price range that even held a candle to it (my opinion). So I had to put in $3 worth of parts and 2 hours of my time to fix a bug in the design. Cosmetically, there is no issue as the zip ties cannot be seen from the outside. Do you find something irrational about my decision? You would rather I look for the non-existent perfect car instead?

Now if you are asking would I prefer Honda fix this, yes, I would. But if they don't, I have a choice and that choice is to buy another car and accept that car's flaws. People design and manufacture these products and they will always have some flaws in them. The iPhone FUD bothers me because to this date, YOU CAN STILL RETURN THE FRICKIN PHONE, GET YOUR MONEY BACK, AND GET YOURSELF AN ANDROID INSTEAD. So what exactly is the problem?

If I was Jobs, my press conference would just say..."we extend the return period to 60 days from your purchase date, thank you and good night." I'd like to see how many of the whiners are willing to return their iphones. Plus, more refurbished iphones for the rest of us.

Hear, hear!!!
post #206 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

People design and manufacture these products and they will always have some flaws in them. The iPhone FUD bothers me because to this date, YOU CAN STILL RETURN THE FRICKIN PHONE, GET YOUR MONEY BACK, AND GET YOURSELF AN ANDROID INSTEAD. So what exactly is the problem?

If I was Jobs, my press conference would just say..."we extend the return period to 60 days from your purchase date, thank you and good night." I'd like to see how many of the whiners are willing to return their iphones. Plus, more refurbished iphones for the rest of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by applenewbie View Post

S. Jobs walks on stage in front of black screen.

Welcomes everyone, "Thanks for coming."

"Regarding the issue of iPhone 4 problems... (Presses button on macbook...)

Black screen lights up with...

"F*** YOU!"

S. Jobs: "Thanks again for coming out today. We really appreciate it!"

S. Jobs walks off stage.


(Sorry if this offends... it's meant to be a joke, folks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Hear, hear!!!

In many ways I agree with you all.

One thing that really offends [me] is the "entitlement mentality" of some:
-- i deserve everything I want
-- it should have no defects (I am perfect, therefore anything I get must be perfect, too)
-- it should be handed to me on a silver platter
-- I should not have to make any adjustment to take advantage of anything
-- it should adapt itself to my needs
-- I reserve the right to bitch about anything and everything
-- even though I don't own the product, and have no intention of ever buying it!

That said, there are people with legitimate problems posting here, in a reasoned manner.

Unfortunately, those with an anti-Apple agenda tend to monopolize the the threads and drown out legitimate complaints. This frustrates the person with the legitimate problem, and those trying to help.


As to tomorrow's iPhone meeting-- it would be fun (and take some stones) to do what you guys have suggested, above.


But, Apple needs to address the issue(s) head-on, take what ever action is necessary, and put this unpleasant business behind them.

Done properly, this will enhance Apple's reputation and provide a platform for future successes.

When viewed from that perspective, it is one of the greatest PR and Marketing opportunities that Apple has had in recent memory... Lots of people are watching!

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #207 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

In many ways I agree with you all.

One thing that really offends [me] is the "entitlement mentality" of some:
-- i deserve everything I want
-- it should have no defects (I am perfect, therefore anything I get must be perfect, too)
-- it should be handed to me on a silver platter
-- I should not have to make any adjustment to take advantage of anything
-- it should adapt itself to my needs
-- I reserve the right to bitch about anything and everything
-- even though I don't own the product, and have no intention of ever buying it!

That said, there are people with legitimate problems posting here, in a reasoned manner.

Unfortunately, those with an anti-Apple agenda tend to monopolize the the threads and drown out legitimate complaints. This frustrates the person with the legitimate problem, and those trying to help.


As to tomorrow's iPhone meeting-- it would be fun (and take some stones) to do what you guys have suggested, above.


But, Apple needs to address the issue(s) head-on, take what ever action is necessary, and put this unpleasant business behind them.

Done properly, this will enhance Apple's reputation and provide a platform for future successes.

When viewed from that perspective, it is one of the greatest PR and Marketing opportunities that Apple has had in recent memory... Lots of people are watching!

.

Hard to see it as an unjustified feeling of 'entitlement', to feel entitled to what you paid for, i.e. a working phone.

As an aside, are you now a motivational speaker? Many of your posts have the same sort of 'a problem isn't a problem, it is an opportunity', Tony Robbins sort of vibe to them.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #208 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Hard to see it as an unjustified feeling of 'entitlement', to feel entitled to what you paid for, i.e. a working phone.

As an aside, are you now a motivational speaker? Many of your posts have the same sort of 'a problem isn't a problem, it is an opportunity' sort of ring to them.

You certainly are entitled to what you paid for.

Sometimes, there are serious defects that can only be resolved by replacement or refund and the option to buy a different product.

Sometimes, there are defects that can be mitigated by making an adjustment in the way you use them or otherwise compensate for the defect. In this case, you still should be offered the replace/return option as above... if not, that would be the last product I would buy from that company. What you do should be your decision-- but you should have the choice.

If you expect that every product you buy will be without defects, I think that is unrealistic. IMO, what is important is that you can live with it or replace/return it and move on.


Ha! Motivational speaker-- I think not. Rather, I am a 70-year-old, who when younger, demanded that everything be perfect. I've mellowed over the years, adjusted to married life, learned to compromise the unimportant things and preserve my core principles.

At age 35, likely, I would be demanding that Apple make this "fantastic" $800 device perfect, on principle (even though I bought a case to protect it from breakage, that resolves the problem).

At, age 70, with 3 grandchildren (ages 7, 11, 14) I am willing to do whatever it takes to make it through the week... And to enjoy the iP4 for what it is, rather than for what it isn't!


As to problems being, or not being, problems.

Certainly, a problem is a problem-- no argument there.

But a problem can also be an opportunity-- if you look closely enough.

Sadly, most of us (especially me) accept the problem as: That's the way it is-- nothing can be done about it!". So, all that's left for us is to "mitch and bone" about it.

Others, exceptional people, look for opportunities in problems. Some notables: Alexander, Edison, Eisenhower, Iococca, Uberoth, and, yes Steve jobs.

Seriously, what would it be worth to Apple, Steve Jobs, and his legacy if he could take this negative feeding frenzy into a positive demonstration of the way Apple stands behind its products and the way it treats and supports its costumers.

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #209 of 231
maybe this is what the call is about tomorrow.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #210 of 231
My prediction:
1. You will be allowed to get one free bumper (not a whole set)
2. You can bring your phone into an apple store and they will coat the metal with a sealant that is non-conductive (but transparent)

Also:
Maybe AT&T has taken some unnecessary knocks about their network?
post #211 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

maybe this is what the call is about tomorrow.

Mmmm... This could be true-- It's the way Apple likes to address problems-- with a solution rather than an admission.

That could fix or reduce the antenna shorting issue. But there, apparently, are still 2 more issues: the proximity detector; the dropping calls (3G - 2G handoff).

I don't know anything about the proximity detector issue, but I believe the 3G/2G handoff issue is a software/driver issue that can be resolved with an iOS 4 update.

So, maybe a combo hardware software fix!

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #212 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mmmm...

That could fix or reduce the antenna shorting issue. But there, apparently, are still 2 more issues: the proximity detector; the dropping calls (3G - 2G handoff).

I don't know anything about the proximity detector issue, but I believe the 3G/2G handoff issue is a software/driver issue that can be resolved with an iOS 4 update.

So, maybe a combo hardware software fix!

.

I would expect, if there is a 3G->2G hand off problem, it will be sorted through a software/firmware update. It was the last time they had that problem (iPhone 3G). I personally haven't read of anyone having that issue, unless it might be the cause of the dropped calls once touching the band drops the 3G reception.

The prox sensor issue is a bit puzzling to me personally. I have the 3G. Since updating to iOS 4, I have had the problem, of my face dialing another number while I am talking, 2 or 3 times. I only read about it affecting iPhone 4 users, but my own experience makes me think it is software problem and can be corrected via software.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #213 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

In many ways I agree with you all.

One thing that really offends [me] is the "entitlement mentality" of some:
-- i deserve everything I want
-- it should have no defects (I am perfect, therefore anything I get must be perfect, too)
-- it should be handed to me on a silver platter
-- I should not have to make any adjustment to take advantage of anything
-- it should adapt itself to my needs
-- I reserve the right to bitch about anything and everything
-- even though I don't own the product, and have no intention of ever buying it!

That said, there are people with legitimate problems posting here, in a reasoned manner.

Unfortunately, those with an anti-Apple agenda tend to monopolize the the threads and drown out legitimate complaints. This frustrates the person with the legitimate problem, and those trying to help.


As to tomorrow's iPhone meeting-- it would be fun (and take some stones) to do what you guys have suggested, above.


But, Apple needs to address the issue(s) head-on, take what ever action is necessary, and put this unpleasant business behind them.

Done properly, this will enhance Apple's reputation and provide a platform for future successes.

When viewed from that perspective, it is one of the greatest PR and Marketing opportunities that Apple has had in recent memory... Lots of people are watching!

.

Pragmatic, as usual.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #214 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

maybe this is what the call is about tomorrow.

Called it ...maybe
post #215 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You've been asked "if it's so defective, why aren't people returning it in droves?"



Do we have any reliable proof that people are not retuning iPhones? I mean, isn't that the very fact that you are trying to prove? How can you assume it to be true, when at the same time you are trying to prove that it is true?
post #216 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

It's too late, I've already gone and done it.

You are killing yourself the wrong way.
post #217 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddych View Post


When 4.0.1 comes out with its SOFTWARE fix for the problem, and Jobs comes out and declares victory on Friday, all you naysayers will feel so stupid!


Finally a voice of sanity. Kudos.
post #218 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by macologist View Post


Quote:
Originally Posted by MomentsofSanity
How is the it's being held improperly debate still going. Just watch the WWDC10 presentation or have a look at many of Apple's own ads for the iPhone. Apparently they don't know how to hold it either.

It's a cop out.

Yep... But then, if it was a bad batch in early production, maybe that was not a cop out? We'll know soooooooooooooooon!

Does that mean that a hypothetical good batch of iPhones should not drop signal even when held this way? If so, wouldn't that make Steve's response a "cop out" by definition?
post #219 of 231
.

I don't expect any big hardware or software fixes...

... Just a common-sense discussion of the issues facing all cell phones and how the iP4 addresses these issues compared to other phones.

After a heated give and take Q & A, Steve will carry the day with the announcement that he's going to find Ray Charles...


... Steve, gonna' fin' Ray Charles!

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #220 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yes! Bauhaus: Form follows function!
.

That's a Louis Sullivan quote, actually.
And as a modern day Bauhausler, I can assure you that many Bauhaus product designs were more like the hockey puck mouse and less like what we would consider functional design.
post #221 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

That's a Louis Sullivan quote, actually.
And as a modern day Bauhausler, I can assure you that many Bauhaus product designs were more like the hockey puck mouse and less like what we would consider functional design.

You are correct! Touché!

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #222 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Do we have any reliable proof that people are not retuning iPhones? I mean, isn't that the very fact that you are trying to prove? How can you assume it to be true, when at the same time you are trying to prove that it is true?

There are no lines in any of the AT&T or Apple stores I've been in.

No one here is reporting any significant number of returns (and you can be sure if there were many returns, the whiners would be touting that fact)

The one single public report is from Fortune Magazine which indicated that out of 25 stores, there were only 11 returns.

Now, that is not conclusive evidence, but it's fairly suggestive. If you have evidence that there ARE a lot of returns, feel free to provide it. So far, you haven't provided anything but your own incessant whining.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #223 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

You are killing yourself the wrong way.

Damn. No wonder it hasn't worked.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #224 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by euler View Post

My prediction:
1. You will be allowed to get one free bumper (not a whole set)
2. You can bring your phone into an apple store and they will coat the metal with a sealant that is non-conductive (but transparent)

Not sure about the sealant. If it is a durable polymer coating that is applied in liquid form, it would take quite a while to dry sufficiently before it could be handled. There are automotive/aviation coatings such as Cilajet which might work, but I would suggest that it would be best to simply exchange the phone or offer a loner so the process could be done in an appropriate environment such as would be needed for the handling of hazardous substances and heat curing.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #225 of 231
Different user name spellings, but same pronunciation. I love it!

aplnub

Quote:
Originally Posted by applenewbie View Post

S. Jobs walks on stage in front of black screen.

Welcomes everyone, "Thanks for coming."

"Regarding the issue of iPhone 4 problems... (Presses button on macbook...)

Black screen lights up with...

"F*** YOU!"

S. Jobs: "Thanks again for coming out today. We really appreciate it!"

S. Jobs walks off stage.


(Sorry if this offends... it's meant to be a joke, folks)
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #226 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddych View Post

EXACTLY!

When 4.0.1 comes out with its SOFTWARE fix for the problem, and Jobs comes out and declares victory on Friday, all you naysayers will feel so stupid!

4.0.1 is out. It didn't fix the problem. How stupid you feeling right about now?
post #227 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

God that's dumb...

I didn't see your comment 'til now. How nice that you took my comment out out of context! If you believe that Apple is filled with superior beings you're a dipshit. Maybe you set your sights so low that you think greatness is making computers that lasts for 4+ years is special. It is you that others look down upon. You are problem ajd not the solution. When you get more knowledge than high school you can comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

This is not a comment on your reply to his post other then to say when I read your first couple of sentences, it gave me a good chuckle. Which is something I think we could all use right about now!
/
/
/

One thing I've learned when commenting on the net is that you never overestimate someone's intelligence...espescially on this forum filled with fanboys and comments filled with irony.
post #228 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

Sorry I should have been a bit more clear. I was referring to an internal challenger, someone with enough credibility and enough standing to put up a fight with the industrial design guys (Ive et al) without getting canned in the process.

On that note, I still view Android as a platform as opposed to product. Android comparisons in software, but quite a different comparison in terms of hardware, spec-wise and design-wise.

Not only that but k Apple need a social media strategy and a seemingly independent review process for accepting/rejecting apps to the app store
post #229 of 231
Here's the real scoop:

http://scoopertino.com/apple-to-use-...phone-problem/

And the author gives his name, so it must be true. :-)
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #230 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddych View Post

EXACTLY!

When 4.0.1 comes out with its SOFTWARE fix for the problem, and Jobs comes out and declares victory on Friday, all you naysayers will feel so stupid!

Eletrical Engineering vs Mechanical Engineering.
One simply cannot fix what could be both with a software release.
Perhaps, mask the problem but am doubtful
that it will fix without causing some other issue like less battery life.
Peace.
post #231 of 231
I think part of the issue is that we all really want the phone. Just running and getting a droid does not work for me, I would have more issues there, and not feel as good about it. I really like the iPhone, and want it to work well. Overall, it does give more than it takes away. Just fix the proximity sensor please.

Or maybe not. I have been using the headphones all the time which might be better for my head, who knows.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference on Friday