or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › No Hitter!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

No Hitter!

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
I just got back from Fenway Park, and what a great day it was!

First of all, Derek Lowe pitched a no hitter! He threw only one walk, just missing the perfect game.

Then, it was 'Kids Opening Day', so I brought my younger cousin. He got a Red Sox pennant and at the end of the game, he got to run the bases! I had to keep an eye on him, so I stayed with him for most of the time, and I ended up on the field as well! (I didn't run the bases.)

What a great day it was. Rickey Henderson had a lead off Home Run, everyone got a hit for the Red Sox, and they won 10-0.

I never thought I'd see a no hitter, and wasn't expecting to see one today, but it was awesome to watch, and since we had such great seats, we actually could see the game.

You can read more about the game here:
<a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=220427102" target="_blank">http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=220427102</a>

<a href="http://www.boston.com/sports/redsox/gamestory.htm" target="_blank">http://www.boston.com/sports/redsox/gamestory.htm</a>
post #2 of 12
Let's see. Looks like Pedro's going to be okay. I had Burkett down for number 2 in the rotation and he's looked very good. Now Lowe is challenging him for the number 2 slot. Urbina has even begun to look reasonably good. All the questions I had about this team are being answered. I'm glad for Lowe.

Must have been a great day to be at Fenway. The weather down here in Connecticut couldn't be better. And to see a no-hitter. Even against a team like Tampa, that's pretty cool.

[ 04-27-2002: Message edited by: roger_ramjet ]</p>
shooby doo, shooby doo
Reply
shooby doo, shooby doo
Reply
post #3 of 12
I've been a Red Sox (and Celtics and Bruins) fan since I was a kid growing up in CT. They are looking good so far, I hope they can keep it up all the way to the end of this season.
post #4 of 12
congratulations. being in attendance at a no-hitter has to be the best sports experience. that and the world series winning game.

I've been lucky. I've seen so many. It's really kind of weird how many no-hitters/perfect games I have seen.

1.) Jim Abbot (no-hitter)
2.) Doc Gooden (no-hitter)
3.) David Wells (Perfect Game)
4.) David Cone (Perfect Game)
5.) Mike Mussina (near perfect game in Fenway)

I think that's all of em.
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
I'm still in shock over what I saw today. It was amazing! It was the first Red Sox no hitter at Fenway since 1965!

Truly amazing to see.
post #6 of 12
Must've been great to witness. My Global teacher is probably going crazy... he's from Boston and is crazy about all of Boston's teams. I don't even wanna picture what he's gunna be like on Monday.

The Mets came close this weekend also. Yesterday Shawn Estes pitched a one hitter and today Pedro Astacio had a no hitter going into the 7th and ended up with a three hitter. Not bad.
post #7 of 12
I've seen 2 Nolan no-hitters and his 5000th strikeout. Take that Rickey "punk-ass" Henderson!
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
post #8 of 12
D-Lowe deserves it after bouncing around b/w starter, closer, starter again.
Actually, I'm responsible for the no hitter. I pulled out my lucky Boston Red Sox hat (wool, fitted, of course) this Saturday when I went down to merlefest. I never wear it b/c I don't want to rub out its mojo (first time I wore it was Pedro's 6 no-hit relief innings against cleveland. Last time was Nomo's no-no). Anyway, I wore it all day. Voila. No hitter. It's going back into the closet until the next series w/ the Spankies.

GO SOX!!!
Thoth
You can fly?!?
No. Jump good.
Reply
You can fly?!?
No. Jump good.
Reply
post #9 of 12
Okay, this needs to be said. I hate to admit it but it looks like the Yankees may have something special with that new pitcher of theirs, Lilly. His performance against Seattle on saturday was as impressive as Lowe's was earlier in the day. A one-hitter against a team like that is very telling. Moreover, Lowe had the advantage of a 10 run cushion. Lilly was up against one of the top pitchers in the league - Freddy Garcia. Garcia shut down the Yankees.

We'll have to see how he does against the Mariners the next time around but so far you really couldn't ask for more from a rookie - damn.
shooby doo, shooby doo
Reply
shooby doo, shooby doo
Reply
post #10 of 12
[quote]Originally posted by spaceman_spiff:
<strong>Okay, this needs to be said. I hate to admit it but it looks like the Yankees may have something special with that new pitcher of theirs, Lilly. His performance against Seattle on saturday was as impressive as Lowe's was earlier in the day. A one-hitter against a team like that is very telling. Moreover, Lowe had the advantage of a 10 run cushion. Lilly was up against one of the top pitchers in the league - Freddy Garcia. Garcia shut down the Yankees.

We'll have to see how he does against the Mariners the next time around but so far you really couldn't ask for more from a rookie - damn.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree Spaceman. I think the Sox need to win at about a .750 clip through this TB, BAL, TOR 19 game swing for them to be able to keep up after they start playing the A's, SEA, and YK's. That said, I think once Hermanson comes back and Oliver gets sent somewhere we'll have a pretty solid rotation. I'm not convinced that the Y's offense is going to produce as much in year's previous, and our offense looks like it could score 900 runs this year. Tony Clark WILL hit. Shea Hillenbrand IS FOR REAL. Sure, there will be some drop off, but others will get hot too. The only weakness in this team is the pen. That's where we'll lose games to the Yanks. They play 9 innings on off and def, we play 9 on off and about 7 on def. If we can fix that, we might win the division or the wild card.
Thoth
You can fly?!?
No. Jump good.
Reply
You can fly?!?
No. Jump good.
Reply
post #11 of 12
[quote]Originally posted by spaceman_spiff:
<strong>Okay, this needs to be said. I hate to admit it but it looks like the Yankees may have something special with that new pitcher of theirs, Lilly. His performance against Seattle on saturday was as impressive as Lowe's was earlier in the day. A one-hitter against a team like that is very telling. Moreover, Lowe had the advantage of a 10 run cushion. Lilly was up against one of the top pitchers in the league - Freddy Garcia. Garcia shut down the Yankees.

We'll have to see how he does against the Mariners the next time around but so far you really couldn't ask for more from a rookie - damn.</strong><hr></blockquote>

He's not a rookie, this is his 2nd season. He was in the Yankees rotation for a good part of last season and from what I saw he wasn't too good.
post #12 of 12
[quote]Originally posted by applenut:
<strong>I've been lucky. I've seen so many. It's really kind of weird how many no-hitters/perfect games I have seen.

1.) Jim Abbot (no-hitter)
2.) Doc Gooden (no-hitter)
3.) David Wells (Perfect Game)
4.) David Cone (Perfect Game)
5.) Mike Mussina (near perfect game in Fenway)</strong><hr></blockquote>

I had TICKETS to 4/5 of those games... My father and brother went to 3/4 of those and gave the 4th set away (abbott)... I WASNT ALLOWED TO GO TO ANY OF THE GAMES!!! I was so angry with them....
The year that Gooden pitched his no hitter we got the tickets for free. We went to opening day that year and it snowed, because it was such a 'bad' game they offered all the fans tickets to one of 3 games during the year... one of them was the no hitter (seattle on a friday) I chose those tickets... not only that, my dad auctioned them off at a school function, but I won them back (well I told my grandmother to win them back...) and yet I STILL wasnt allowed to go to the game... ugh, stupid reportcards...

you went to the Abbot game?! that was in like '91! you must have been like 6! how'd you pull that off? It was recently on YES and my friend was actually on the tape, that was cool....

I am still in shock that Mussina didnt get that perfect game... 9 2/3rds perfect with 2 strikes on the hitter ...oh well thats baseball... <img src="graemlins/oyvey.gif" border="0" alt="[No]" />
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
Reply
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › No Hitter!