or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › No iPhone 4 recall today, but 'voluntary' recall, full refunds possible
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

No iPhone 4 recall today, but 'voluntary' recall, full refunds possible - Page 2

post #41 of 120
I think that Apple will give a gift certificate for a bumper/case as well as an extension to the time period you can return the phone without questions asked.

Anything else that is announced will depend on the extent of whatever real issues exist with the iPhone.

I think the bumper/certificate issue is at the top of the list since there have been reports of cases/ bumpers fixing dropped call problems as well as CR saying that a bumper fixes the issue.
post #42 of 120
I think offering a full refund to anyone dissatisfied would be a smart move. You can't argue with a full refund, and I suspect there are a lot of people for whom it works just fine, so hopefully not too much pain for Apple.

Because if you look through the posts on message boards, there are actually a lot of people saying their's works fine, they just don't get as much attention as the people with problems.
post #43 of 120
So forgive me, but I haven't seen anyone ask this question, if the reception problem is so bad (we haven't seen it on either my wife's or my iphone4) how did all the carriers miss it in their testing?? I have a hard time believing Apple was able to hide this "feature" for all their partner carriers??
post #44 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The main complaints about the whiners are 2-fold:

1. There are still a lot of people complaining about the issue and in the same breath saying they don't own an iPhone, have never touched and iPhone and never would. If they've never touched one and have no plans to, 'STFU' is an appropriate response. They have no objectivity and no facts to base their opinion on. They're simply repeating the most negative comments they can find.

2. There are some people who want miracles. They want the phone to never lose any signal no matter what you do to it. No matter what Apple does, they will not be happy -- yet they refuse to return their phone for a refund. Clearly, their expectations are unreasonable. (Although I suspect that many of them are actually in group #1).

You are probably right, those are likely the two most common complaints about the whiners. Unfortunately, they are used against pretty much anyone that believes there is an issue and joins the discussion.

1) Person that bought a phone and has been dropping calls and has heard of the reported problems or experienced them. They have been waiting to see what Apple says about it. They join the discussion here. Typical response, from your 'main complaints' options, would normally be #2. "STFU, you expect it to be perfect? You want a working phone? You want miracles?"

2) Person that intends to buy an iPhone but wants to see how Apple responds and deals with the widely reported problems. Typical response, probably #1: "STFU, you have never touched and iPhone and never would. You have no objectivity and no facts to base you opinion on. You're simply repeating the most negative comments they can find."

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #45 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

No one is whining. Stop over-reacting.

Apple obviously thinks it is a serious enough issue, as does much of the world, o/w we wouldn't have today's event. If it's not an issue for you, great.

Run along, now.....

I don't know about whining, but this has gotten way more attention than it deserves. The senator. Five minutes on the Today show this morning, it's ridiculous.

It's hard to think of another product (I mean smartphones, not brands) that people have become this glued to and that could result in this much attention. Especially given that it's not affecting everyone, it doesn't appear to be a catastrophic condition, it's not dangerous....

I can't think of anything else that would garner this kind of attention. It shows how attached people have become to their phones. It wouldn't have gotten this much attention if it weren't Apple of course...
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
post #46 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I think offering a full refund to anyone dissatisfied would be a smart move. You can't argue with a full refund, and I suspect there are a lot of people for whom it works just fine, so hopefully not too much pain for Apple..

Not at all. Apple is currently offering a full refund - and look at all the people whining. Plenty of people are arguing with a full refund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

You are probably right, those are likely the two most common complaints about the whiners. Unfortunately, they are used against pretty much anyone that believes there is an issue and joins the discussion.

1) Person that bought a phone and has been dropping calls and has heard of the reported problems. They have been waiting to see what Apple says about it. They join the discussion here. Typical response, from your 'main complaints' options, would normally be #2. "STFU, you expect it to be perfect? You want a working phone? You want miracles?"

2) Person that intends to buy an iPhone but wants to see how Apple responds and deals with the widely reported problems. Typical response, probably #1: "STFU, you have never touched and iPhone and never would. You have no objectivity and no facts to base you opinion on. You're simply repeating the most negative comments they can find."

Except that those things do not often happen.

#1. People who are actually dropping calls are generally being encouraged to return the phone or get a case or hold the phone differently. Returning the phone solves their dropped call problem (if they can find another phone that never drops a call, of course). Getting a case or holding the phone differently is not ideal (no one ever said it was), but if they like the phone well enough to put up with that inconvenience, it's an alternative to returning it for a refund. No one ever suggested that anyone should put up with a phone dropping calls.

Personally, I didn't get any dropped calls, but I did see the signal drop when touching the band. I'm in a moderate-signal area, so there's a chance that I would get dropped calls if I went to a low signal area. Because of that risk, I bought a case. I would prefer to have the iPhone without a case, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. It's in its holster 99% of the time and during the 1% of the time that I'm using it, it's by my face so I don't see it anyway. It's a very minor inconvenience for me- certainly minor enough that I had no desire to return it. If using a case is just so offensive to you that you can't tolerate it, you have the option to return the phone for a refund. It's your choice.

#2 In almost every case, if someone comes here with an honest question, they'll get an honest answer. If they come here with all guns blazing and throwing out stuff like "we know that Apple is incompetent and evil, so why should I buy the iPhone", it's not an honest question. Most of the people being told to stfu are not asking honest questions - they're throwing fuel on the fire.

Would I like a phone with all the features of the iPhone and its ease of use and consistency, but that never dropped a call no matter what I did or where I was? Sure. But that's just not a realistic expectation.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #47 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

It wouldn't have gotten this much attention if it weren't Apple of course...

Of course it wouldn't. Even when Apple was 'beleaguered' they received far more media attention than their size would merit. Now that they are wildly successful they get even more attention, deservedly.

Apple has always used this attention to their advantage, usually to drive hype for their products. Unfortunately, it goes both ways.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #48 of 120
At this point, if I had one, I'd say screw it and grab a rubber case. There's no indication that anything will change in the production (like a clear coat over the metal antenna piece) so really, it's time to shit or get off the pot.

If you keep the phone past the 30 day mark, you shouldn't be complaining all that much about it anymore.

What a shame that the ip4 has had all these issues. First it was the leaked prototype, then it was an issue with all the white ones, then it was the overwhelmed servers, now this. Jobs must be going out of his mind over all the incompetency.
post #49 of 120
Here's the full press conference which was taped in advance by an inside operative. The fun starts at 03:46 into the video. Jobs is the one with the "tool".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVMPlIQAz5E
post #50 of 120
Two of the quoted 'Analysts' [and many posters] suggest that Apple should instituted a refund policy. DUH - Apple announced some time ago that anyone dissatisfied with their iPhone4 could return it for a full refund. And that means no restocking fee as well. No indication yet on the number of returns but Apple's reference to <1% seems credible.

I am also betting that a software fix is in the works because the signal processing explanation is the most logical, given the level of antenna design and engineering that is apparent.

btw - some people actually know something about antenna design.
post #51 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Would I like a phone with all the features of the iPhone and its ease of use and consistency, but that never dropped a call no matter what I did or where I was? Sure. But that's just not a realistic expectation.

In fact, there is such a phone. It is called 3GS. I own both, BTW. I not only own them personally, but I also own them for the lab where we test our UMTS infrastructure product.
post #52 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not at all. Apple is currently offering a full refund - and look at all the people whining. Plenty of people are arguing with a full refund.

Sure they would. If someone bought an iPhone 4, it means they want a fully working iPhone 4, not the money they paid for it.
post #53 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

If Apple does implement some sort of recall (voluntary or otherwise), free bumpers, or an exchange for a hardware corrected model, how many people here that have claimed they never have a problem end up taking advantage of the offers.

"I don't believe there is a problem, I haven't seen a problem and everyone that does is just a whiner! But, I will exchange, just in case"

Ditto!
post #54 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMacUser View Post

So forgive me, but I haven't seen anyone ask this question, if the reception problem is so bad (we haven't seen it on either my wife's or my iphone4) how did all the carriers miss it in their testing?? I have a hard time believing Apple was able to hide this "feature" for all their partner carriers??

According to some reports, it's because the carriers got test phones that were in a specially designed body and case so it would not reveal the actual phone design. Since it was in a case, the issue did not present itself. Also, Apple gave the carriers less time and phones then other manufacturers for testing.
post #55 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

Because the carriers got a test phone that was in a specially designed body and case so it would not reveal the actual phone design. Since it was in a case, the issue did not present itself.

Your evidence of that?

Oh, wait. it's you. You're just making things up as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Sure they would. If someone bought an iPhone 4, it means they want a fully working iPhone 4, not the money they paid for it.

It's like any product you ever buy. If the product does not work to your satisfaction, you return it for a refund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrkiran View Post

In fact, there is such a phone. It is called 3GS. I own both, BTW. I not only own them personally, but I also own them for the lab where we test our UMTS infrastructure product.

Nonsense. You're claiming that the 3GS will never drop a call no matter where you are or what you do? BS. Travel to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. Take a ride in a submarine. ALL phones can drop calls or fail to make a call. It comes down to whether the frequency of this is acceptable or not.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #56 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMacUser View Post

So forgive me, but I haven't seen anyone ask this question, if the reception problem is so bad (we haven't seen it on either my wife's or my iphone4) how did all the carriers miss it in their testing?? I have a hard time believing Apple was able to hide this "feature" for all their partner carriers??

I hope this is an honest question!

Apple rarely gives the final device to anyone outside. It has too much importance in terms of overall PR buzz they create before the launch. According to a QA engineer I know, even most of the QA folks got a well disguised device that did not have an exposed antenna so they never saw any issue.
post #57 of 120
What I find ironic and a bit confusing is the people on here because they are having troubles with the iP4 just assume that everyone is and if you state you're not your a iSheep, fanboy, Apple apologist, etc.

Why is it any different than the people on here that are having troubles (and I believe there are) being shouted down and being told to STFU? None.

I find both situations insulting.
post #58 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Nonsense. You're claiming that the 3GS will never drop a call no matter where you are or what you do? BS. Travel to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. Take a ride in a submarine. ALL phones can drop calls or fail to make a call. It comes down to whether the frequency of this is acceptable or not.

Of course not. But same holding habits I had for 12 years of cell-phose use work fine with 3GS and do not work for 4.

You should cool down and think! On the other hand, I admire you for having such blind "faith" something you did not personally design and develop! You must be a great team player for whatever you work for! (No sarcasm intended)
post #59 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

"I don't believe there is a problem, I haven't seen a problem and everyone that does is just a whiner! But, I will exchange, just in case"

LOL. So true !! I bet "jragosta" will be one of the first in line to get an exchange
post #60 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The money back if you don't like it idea (within 30 days) is the best solution. This will shorten the waiting times for the majority. Although I doubt too many will be returned. I am pretty sure most of the moaning on these blogs are from 'interested parties' not real owners.

Although if they admit that they've changed the design, this functions as a de facto voluntary recall since it allows people to return the original version and buy the updated hardware. If there's a hardware change (which seems extremely likely), I could see even people who aren't having problems exchanging it. After all, even if you don't have a problem so far, who knows if you'll be in a lower signal area and encounter it.
post #61 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's like any product you ever buy. If the product does not work to your satisfaction, you return it for a refund.

yeah, no one ever discusses problem on tech forums. No company ever fixes problems, they simply expect everything to come back as a return.

No, in the real world, people discuss. People complain. People wait and see what the company says about the problem.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #62 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Your evidence of that?

Oh, wait. it's you. You're just making things up as usual.

Uhh, I said according to some reports. Do you have evidence that proves otherwise ?
post #63 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrkiran View Post

Of course not. But same holding habits I had for 12 years of cell-phose use work fine with 3GS and do not work for 4.

You should cool down and think! On the other hand, I admire you for having such blind "faith" something you did not personally design and develop! You must be a great team player for whatever you work for! (No sarcasm intended)

Yet, I stated that there was no phone that gave perfect reception under all conditions - and you responded that your iPhone 3GS did. So which is it? You're taking two entirely inconsistent positions.

As for the rest, I don't blindly support anyone. If you'll notice my responses, I almost always shoot down people making stupid assumptions, crazy logic, or mindless attacks. What does that have to do with blind faith? I simply dislike idiots - especially those who insist on proving that they're idiots on a public forum.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #64 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrkiran View Post

I hope this is an honest question!

Apple rarely gives the final device to anyone outside. It has too much importance in terms of overall PR buzz they create before the launch. According to a QA engineer I know, even most of the QA folks got a well disguised device that did not have an exposed antenna so they never saw any issue.

I think that could be plausible. After all Steve wants total secrecy on unreleased products that it's a good bet that most or all of the testing in the field was done by using the fake 3gs cover. Of course that would be a huge embarrassment if it ever came to light, so i'm thinking Steve will pull a Sheila Broflovski and blame Canada (AT&T).
post #65 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

yeah, no one ever discusses problem on tech forums. No company ever fixes problems, they simply expect everything to come back as a return.

No, in the real world, people discuss. People complain. People wait and see what the company says about the problem.

Well said.

[sarcasm]Some people see Jesus (or equivalent, for their religion) in iPhone 4 (and Apple), it's unthinkable to question it. Anyone that has a problem is an atheist.[/sarcasm]
post #66 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yet, I stated that there was no phone that gave perfect reception under all conditions - and you responded that your iPhone 3GS did. So which is it? You're taking two entirely inconsistent positions.

As for the rest, I don't blindly support anyone. If you'll notice my responses, I almost always shoot down people making stupid assumptions, crazy logic, or mindless attacks. What does that have to do with blind faith? I simply dislike idiots - especially those who insist on proving that they're idiots on a public forum.

Like I said, your faith is unshakable and your attacks are admirable! Kudos!
post #67 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

some prominent Wall Street analysts believe Apple could ... refund dissatisfied owners the full purchase price.


Apple has ALREADY said that they will give full refunds. Over and over again.

It is pretty easy to see why "some prominent Wall Street Analysts" think that it might be a possibility.

These Analysts are a riot!
post #68 of 120
Does Shawn Wu really say "AAPL" when he's talking? That's how he's quoted. "Eh, Eh, Pee, Ell."

I wonder if he spells it out. I would think so if they wrote it that way; otherwise, it's simply pronounced Apple.
post #69 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

IIt's hard to think of another product (I mean smartphones, not brands) that people have become this glued to and that could result in this much attention. Especially given that it's not affecting everyone, it doesn't appear to be a catastrophic condition, it's not dangerous....

I can't think of anything else that would garner this kind of attention. It shows how attached people have become to their phones. It wouldn't have gotten this much attention if it weren't Apple of course...

Yep. And there was a time when the attention was on Microsoft.

It's Apple's turn now and it goes with the territory. Soon Apple will learn to handle being the big dog but until then, SJ's missteps in the PR arena will attract this fuss.

Accept it, sigh deeply, roll your eyes and try to relax.
post #70 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

LOL. So true !! I bet "jragosta" will be one of the first in line to get an exchange

If Apple puts out a hardware fix, I'll guarantee it.

Anyone here been around Apple long enough to have been on comp.sys.mac.advocacy on usenet in the 90s? Back in the day, there were some well known Mac advocates that were really helpful to growing the Mac cause that posted there. But, then there was a guy named Joe Ragosta. Even amongst the die hard Mac fans, he was considered an extremist with no ability to listen to reason. It was sort of embarrassing to be in a heated debate with some anti-mac posters if he decided to chime in. It was like, STFU man, you are embarrassing the rest of us Mac fans and yourself.

Anyway, I was thinking jragosta's name was familiar and his posting style. And then I thought of Joe. It's been 10 or 5 years since I remember Joe Ragosta suddenly disappearing from any online discussions-he sort of fell of the face of the earth. Maybe there is no relation. Maybe his nick is just a tribute to a old hero. Maybe it is just a coincidence. Maybe he is back.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #71 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbsteph View Post

"Wow. I'm speechless at Wu's explanation and understanding of RF engineering.

I don't dabble in nuclear engineering, so why is he dabbling in RF engineering when it is painfully obvious that he doesn't have a clue?"

And, in your expert opinion, what exactly did Shaw Woo report that is incorrect? Seems to me he was reporting what persons familiar with the situation stated. He made no claim to an expertise in RF engineering.

Analysts should stick to analyzing stock valuation, financials, and supply chain issues. Engineering should be deferred to engineering subject matter experts, who are then quoted or attributed.

Wu: "While all metals conduct electricity and radio waves to a degree, there are different grades of conductivity,"

Science: Aluminum and air have the same RF permeability, unlike steel or other ferrous materials which have a substantially higher permeability and can be used for everything from antennae to RF shielding. Wu's assessment, while philosophically accurate, is technically misleading.

Wu: "On the software side, Apple is also allegedly working on better antenna algorithms... Sources indicated to Wu that Apple is "furiously working" to improve them and account for different human body shapes and water levels. Those sources also said that the math is "complex but not insurmountable," and "may take some time to write."

Science: The math is complex but not insurmountable? RF engineering is one of the oldest and most well-established branches of electrical engineering. The math is exceptionally well understood, well documented, and is not *THAT* difficult. I studied RF engineering as an undergrad, and this is not as big a deal as Wu is insinuating.

Wu: "We don't claim to be material science or antenna engineering experts, but from our conversations with sources familiar with the situation, these fixes will make iPhone 4 less prone to interference, and hopefully put an end to the bad rap AAPL has been taking,"

Science: The solution is simple: prevent conductive materials (such as skin or conductive metals) from touching and detuning the antenna. Any time a conductive object touches the antenna, it detunes the antenna by changing the antenna's impedance and resonant frequency, resulting in the amplifier having to work harder to send, or the receiver having to overcome a higher SNR. Wonder why the bumper, scotch tape, or non-aluminized duct tape work so well?

I stand by my point. Wu should be focused on analyzing the financials and supply chain issues, and should defer technical dissertations to engineering experts for explanation.
post #72 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

If Apple does implement some sort of recall (voluntary or otherwise), free bumpers, or an exchange for a hardware corrected model, how many people here that have claimed they never have a problem end up taking advantage of the offers.

"I don't believe there is a problem, I haven't seen a problem and everyone that does is just a whiner! But, I will exchange, just in case"

I got my iP4 a day early (june 23).

I have not experienced any problems.

I would consider a replacement if it included a hardware change, because:

1) I might decide to resell my device and, given all the flack, the replacement would bring a better price.

2) of 3 original iPhones I bought in 2007, 3 are still in use- 1 for development and 2 as SIMless iPods for my grandchildren. With all the focus on the device, it is probable that a re-engineered 1.1 iP4 will have a longer useful life than the 1.0 version-- and therefore a better push down device for my family.

For me. it would be more of a convenience decision rather than a necessary one-- is it worth the effort to exchange it?

.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #73 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPenceRicher View Post

Wow. I'm speechless at Wu's explanation

It is clueless. He said that according to his sooper seekret sources, Apple is exploring software fixes for the issue.



Well DUH! Apple has already told us that the problem is in the software, and that they are fixing it. Why does he need "sources" to know that? Has he been living under a rock? Or in an ivory tower?

Hey Shaw: Use me as a sooper seekret source! I'll feed you stuff like this:

"Users observing a drop of several bars when they grip their iPhone in a certain way are most likely in an area with very weak signal strength, but they dont know it because we are erroneously displaying 4 or 5 bars. Their big drop in bars is because their high bars were never real in the first place."
post #74 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

A lot of people upgraded from their 3GS and promptly sold their old phone on eBay. Now if they want to return their i4, they will also need to repurchase a 3GS with a new no unlimited data contract. So they really aren't back to square one. Hopefully whatever they made on eBay will cover the expense.

I don't know if this is correct or not. If people are allowed to return their upgraded phone, won't they be allowed to purchase the iPhone 3GS as if it were an upgrade as well? That would mean, more than likely, they can keep their original contract terms.

Also, this isn't Apple's problem. We're not authorized Apple retailers, for one thing. They don't need to be concerned with how people dispose of their phones, unless they'd like to help start a recycling program. You can't sell your old car and expect your dealership to compensate you extra if your new car gets recalled.
post #75 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

If Apple does implement some sort of recall (voluntary or otherwise), free bumpers, or an exchange for a hardware corrected model, how many people here that have claimed they never have a problem end up taking advantage of the offers.

"I don't believe there is a problem, I haven't seen a problem and everyone that does is just a whiner! But, I will exchange, just in case"


Why would i want to exchange a perfectly good piece of hardware that's less than five weeks old? I'm thrilled with my iPhone, as is everyone I know.

Those of us (the majority) who have no issue with their iPhone aren't saying there isn't an issue, we're just making the point that it's not some design flaw and every single unit isn't affected, as the media and various pundits and analysts are stating.
post #76 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Sure they have. They've told them it is normal and they should change their grip. They've told them they are whining. They've implied or stated that the CR test reports are the result of pressure from RIM, Google, MS. They've told them to STFU and just return it. They've said "I haven't seen the problem, my friends haven't seen the problem, the problem doesn't exist".

Mostly, whether they acknowledge the issue or not or try to reduce the severity, they simply say "STFU and stop whining".

It will be interesting to see what the posters making statements do after the event today.

i'm sorry, but i don't think anyone at all has said that the problem doesn't exist. at the very beginning of the saga, perhaps, but certainly not in recent weeks. but don't let that stop you hanging onto that for grim death.

you know what - i shouldn't have spoken in absolutes. there have indeed been some people - a small minority - doing what you claim. yet these people are most likely reacting to the people complaining about a device they don't even own, and people speaking in absolute terms about a problem for which they have absolutely no empirical, scientific data to rely upon.

the "regulars" here, however, have been much more level-headed - these people have said that they don't have the problem, or that they have the problem and are waiting to see what apple does, or are using a case to compensate; they've said they sympathise with those who have the problem; they've indeed suggested people return it instead of venting on the internet. that's what i've read.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #77 of 120
My prediction:
Apple will unveil iPhone 4G R - R stands for reception. If you want to upgrade ATT will slash the price by 50% if you are coming up to 1.5 years on your contract.

Oh and one more thing! Reception is also available for iPhone 4. For just $30 you can unlock the reception feature on your existing iPhone4 with a special reception case and a 300 meg software update. All this is available today!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #78 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post

The Nexus one got the same problem:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xe0...grip-demo_tech

To the same degree? 24db of signal reduction?

The problem isn't that the iPhone is the only one that does this, it's that it does it to a much greater degree than any other phone tested. And that it is specifically caused by the external antennas and the fact that it is possible to short them with your hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

A voluntary re-call? Sounds like a silly way of saying 30 day money back guarantee.

The difference between a recall and return policy is that in the case of the former, the hardware actually changes so the user is swapping for a different model instead of just returning it (and presumably buying something else instead).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMacUser View Post

So forgive me, but I haven't seen anyone ask this question, if the reception problem is so bad (we haven't seen it on either my wife's or my iphone4) how did all the carriers miss it in their testing?? I have a hard time believing Apple was able to hide this "feature" for all their partner carriers??

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ll_report.html

"Those test phones are specifically designed so the phone can't be touched, which made it hard to catch the iPhone 4's antenna problem," the Journal said. The paper added, citing people familiar with the matter, that Apple afforded carriers "limited time to test the iPhone 4 before its June 24 launch" and equipped them with "fewer devices to test than other handset makers."
post #79 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPenceRicher View Post

Analysts should stick to analyzing stock valuation, financials, and supply chain issues. Engineering should be deferred to engineering subject matter experts, who are then quoted or attributed.

Wu: "While all metals conduct electricity and radio waves to a degree, there are different grades of conductivity,"

Science: Aluminum and air have the same RF permeability, unlike steel or other ferrous materials which have a substantially higher permeability and can be used for everything from antennae to RF shielding. Wu's assessment, while philosophically accurate, is technically misleading.

Wu: "On the software side, Apple is also allegedly working on better antenna algorithms... Sources indicated to Wu that Apple is "furiously working" to improve them and account for different human body shapes and water levels. Those sources also said that the math is "complex but not insurmountable," and "may take some time to write."

Science: The math is complex but not insurmountable? RF engineering is one of the oldest and most well-established branches of electrical engineering. The math is exceptionally well understood, well documented, and is not *THAT* difficult. I studied RF engineering as an undergrad, and this is not as big a deal as Wu is insinuating.

Wu: "We don't claim to be material science or antenna engineering experts, but from our conversations with sources familiar with the situation, these fixes will make iPhone 4 less prone to interference, and hopefully put an end to the bad rap AAPL has been taking,"

Science: The solution is simple: prevent conductive materials (such as skin or conductive metals) from touching and detuning the antenna. Any time a conductive object touches the antenna, it detunes the antenna by changing the antenna's impedance and resonant frequency, resulting in the amplifier having to work harder to send, or the receiver having to overcome a higher SNR. Wonder why the bumper, scotch tape, or non-aluminized duct tape work so well?

I stand by my point. Wu should be focused on analyzing the financials and supply chain issues, and should defer technical dissertations to engineering experts for explanation.

I think the whole world is getting tired of analysts. They remind me of a certain family member that every family has that is so FOS and blathers on about his/her opinion about everything. It's funny that no-one, not even their bosses ever say to them "Can't you be right at least once?" They're worse than weathermen. Then I remembered what they are there for, to push their recommended stocks and to keep their customers always trading when they can.
post #80 of 120
That's right.

If you don't like the phone, return it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › No iPhone 4 recall today, but 'voluntary' recall, full refunds possible