or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple says just 0.55% of iPhone owners have reported antenna problems
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple says just 0.55% of iPhone owners have reported antenna problems - Page 3

post #81 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

If you grip them in a certain way they lose signal strength dramatically, especially in a low signal strength area.

The magic word here is certain. In examples of other phones that people throw around they, aren't holding them "normally". I know with a number of different phones I have tried this on, I had to enclose them with both hands tightly to replicate the issue.
post #82 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

2) If the 3GS had about the average number of dropped calls on the AT&T network, then 1 additional dropped call per 100 is almost 100% more dropped calls. AT&T's rate of dropped calls in Dec 2009 was between 1.05 and 1.41 per 100 calls. If the 3GS was with those bounds, then the 4 is not doing well comparatively, if it is 1 additional dropped per 100 calls.


I don't think that the 3GS has "about the average number of dropped calls".

Likely, it has a lot LESS dropped calls, so I don't think your numbers hold up.
post #83 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

I am wondering why we did not get this burst when the Bold was released.

Well, that should be a good title...

As Steve Jobs pointed out, the black line where the weakness exists unfortunately is a large sign. The weak spots on other phones must be found. And then, there's just because people hate Apple, Inc...

Some of you may not remember that several years ago, numerous people were complaining about brain cancer caused by mobile phones. There again, people on the hit the mobile phone companies side were incredulous that they couldn't hold a phone with the antenna touching their head boosting the radiation to their heads.

The iPhone 4 has similar risks. If you hold the phone to your head at an angle where the antenna contacts your head, I suspect an increased cancer risk. The odd cancer exposure would be wearing one on a belt clip while exposing ones spare tire.

The most funny to test one requires a sufficiently well-endowed lady volunteer. Place iPhone 4 in their favorite hiding spot with at least the bar display still visible. The bars should drop just like a Death Grip, maybe a bit less depending on how firmly the subject body parts compress the phone. This location would also increase radiation exposure in that area and we know about the Breast Cancer Claims industry.

For non-iPhone 4 phones, just wedge between clothing and body. Saw a well-endowed lady with a tight low-cut blouse wedge her phone between her bosom and the neckline once at AT&T Park.
post #84 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

Ok, waiting for the meat of this.

The 0.55% call rate is silly. Most people with the problem are probably aware of the situation and have either remedied on their own, or waiting to see what Apple is going to do about it. No sense calling a help line when the whole world knows about the problem and Apple's official response is still pending. So, mention of the 0.55% call rate is silly.

Using Apple's numbers over 16000 people have called AppleCare to complain. On the internet that's a really big noise. Apple is a victim of its sales success. There are now so many people with iPhones that even if only 0.05% were complaining we'd all hear it.

However, I agree that most people don't call AppleCare the moment they see a problem and agree that there could be a half million people who either haven't noticed a problem yet or have low expectations for a cell phone and feel it's no worse than other phones they've owned in the past.
post #85 of 108
Quite a catchy song.

Pity it is not on iTunes....
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
Reply
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
Reply
post #86 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Using Apple's numbers over 16000 people have called AppleCare to complain. On the internet that's a really big noise. Apple is a victim of its sales success. There are now so many people with iPhones that even if only 0.05% were complaining we'd all hear it.

However, I agree that most people don't call AppleCare the moment they see a problem and agree that there could be a half million people who either haven't noticed a problem yet or have low expectations for a cell phone and feel it's no worse than other phones they've owned in the past.

haters are going to hate.
post #87 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukevaxhacker View Post

Well, that should be a good title...

As Steve Jobs pointed out, the black line where the weakness exists unfortunately is a large sign. The weak spots on other phones must be found. And then, there's just because people hate Apple, Inc...

Are you for real? Do you really think most people are looking to find "weak spots" so their phones don't work?

Apple's "weak spot" happens to be very sensitive, as it is uncovered, and is where many people put their hands.

What I don't get is the drooling Apple worship from so many people. I mean, I've used Apple since 87', I love their products and will continue buying from them. Just because you like a company doesn't mean you cant criticize it, and just because you do criticize it from time to time does not mean you have to hate it.
post #88 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

Are you for real? Do you really think most people are looking to find "weak spots" so their phones don't work?

Apple's "weak spot" happens to be very sensitive, as it is uncovered, and is where many people put their hands.

What I don't get is the drooling Apple worship from so many people. I mean, I've used Apple since 87', I love their products and will continue buying from them. Just because you like a company doesn't mean you cant criticize it, and just because you do criticize it from time to time does not mean you have to hate it.

Cant criticize Apple? I think we can safely say Apple is the most critiqued company in the world, bar none. Lets see, cellular signal bars mean nothing, but no one got upset until the iPhone. All phones have weak spots but no one ever cared to look or get upset until the iPhone. So, why is Apple the only company that people can criticize? Or better yet, why is Apple is the only company people expect to be perfect?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #89 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrhards View Post

Perhaps it's because on iP4, there is an actual mark showing exactly where to "just touch" to get the signal to drop. That mark doesn't exist on the other phones, so maybe it's harder to locate the spot to touch for attenuation?

It's a psychological scab on a beautiful phone - people just can't help but pick it even though they know they shouldn't
post #90 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Cant criticize Apple? I think we can safely say Apple is the most critiqued company in the world, bar none. Lets see, cellular signal bars mean nothing, but no one got upset until the iPhone. All phones have weak spots but no one ever cared to look or get upset until the iPhone. So, why is Apple the only company that people can criticize? Or better yet, why is Apple is the only company people expect to be perfect?

You're right, I don't get why everyone holds Apple to a higher standard than their competitors. Crazy really. Thing is Apple danced on the edge this time and lost/almost lost. Apple play a dangerous game of balancing form and function. This time in the eyes of some people they lost. But Apple usually set things right. They've done all they can for now. Were relatively open about it all. I don't think we can ask for anything more right now.

You can bet they're working on a way of "fixing" the aerial, or coating it. Let's see what Sept brings.
post #91 of 108
Hey, where is the big line of people who ACTUALLY OWN AN IPHONE 4 trying to return them? Hmmm seems that vast majority who have one and know about the "problem" still plan to keep it.
post #92 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

YOU KNOW HOLDING IT INCORRECTLY WILL DROP CALLS, YOU'RE STILL DROPPING CALLS BECAUSE YOU INSIST ON HOLDING IT THAT WAY INSTEAD OF HOLDING IT IN WAY SO IT DOESN'T DROP YOUR CALLS, AND THEN YOU CAN GO TO DIFFERENT ONLINE FORUMS TO BITCH ABOUT IT.

You're genius and I admire you.

Oh, hi Steve!
post #93 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic8Ball View Post

It's a psychological scab on a beautiful phone - people just can't help but pick it even though they know they shouldn't

Well put!
post #94 of 108
I think the problem was so well known, people were just waiting to see what Apple did. Hence the reason people havent called and complained. Apple always comes through with a quick solution to their probs. I remember when the original iPhone came out and then dropped in price after 2 months, people threw a fit, and apple gave out a credit. When they tested the new phone all were concealed in a case that looked like the 3GS. The two fingers never touched the back bars. Anyway, I'm happy with mine, I have a case and I got it cuz of the glass, not the reception.
post #95 of 108
You should all watch this video about the iPhone. its short, on point and puts a lot of things in perspective: http://vimeo.com/13406519

Aren't there more important things going on in this world than the iPhone debacle..?.
post #96 of 108
There are two antennas on that phone. There are two splits. One on the left side near the bottom, one on the top at the right corner next to the jack. The perimeter of the phone is 13.61". They could have located those two splits anywhere, with only the distance between them being constant.


They chose to locate one where its virtually guaranteed any user in normal use will bridge the split.

Thats a blunder.
post #97 of 108
1.77% return rate

0.5%5 Apple Care stats


It proves what 99% of iPhone owners are saying all along. there is a real problem but it's A NON-ISSUE.
post #98 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Cant criticize Apple? I think we can safely say Apple is the most critiqued company in the world, bar none. Lets see, cellular signal bars mean nothing, but no one got upset until the iPhone. All phones have weak spots but no one ever cared to look or get upset until the iPhone. So, why is Apple the only company that people can criticize? Or better yet, why is Apple is the only company people expect to be perfect?

You know what I mean. If you don't drool Apple, many folks here attack you and jump all over you. I think any company can be criticized, and should be when they goof.
post #99 of 108
Why does everyone pretend 0.55% of calls to Apple Care about issues is a small number?

First: If 1 in 200 phones has a defective antenna, that is well below Apple's normal standards.

Second: Most people with problems probably Google about it or ignore it and move on, not call support.

Third: It doesn't sound like such a small number when you say "16,500 people called Apple's support about antenna problems within the first three weeks the phone was on the market." That comes to almost 800 calls every day just about that one thing.
post #100 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

Why does everyone pretend 0.55% of calls to Apple Care about issues is a small number?

First: If 1 in 200 phones has a defective antenna, that is well below Apple's normal standards.

Second: Most people with problems probably Google about it or ignore it and move on, not call support.

Third: It doesn't sound like such a small number when you say "16,500 people called Apple's support about antenna problems within the first three weeks the phone was on the market." That comes to almost 800 calls every day just about that one thing.

First, the rate is low. You can bet a much larger percentage of buyers call support to complain about any other given problem.

Second, googling doesn't solve the problem if you have it, and ignoring it doesn't make it go away.

Third, it is in fact a small number considering the three million already sold.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #101 of 108
Umm...

On one hand, the negligible number of complains from AppleCare purchasers proves the fact, which was clear from the beginning to anyone who heard words The Physics at least once. This is a minor glitch from the usability standpoint, yet extremely puzzling problem from the technical one.

On the other hand, the number of complaints is not representative at all. You have to have AppleCare on your iPhone and be helplessly confined in your mom's basement to not understand what happens to your iPhone and to not be able help it, while all media and US Senate are dealing with the issue.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #102 of 108
I'm not sure what you meant, but everyone who buys an iPhone 4 has AppleCare on the phone for at least a year.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #103 of 108
Why do trolls love farting in mud puddle so much? 55% of iOS4.0 devices are outside of the US.
``Aucun(e)' ' at the bottom of the page doesn't mean ``The Physics' '. It means ``None' '.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #104 of 108
Could the low percentage of complaints have anything to do with the fact that a phone made of glass is more likely to be put in a protective case by the majority of average users, and thus the issue of bridging the gap would be reduced?

I mean, seriously, if I owned one of these phones I would be putting it in a protective case. Every phone gets dropped, and glass isn't exactly known for being resilient in these situations.
post #105 of 108
Perhaps not the best article to make my point, but if Apple can get it to work or buy Zagg so it ships with an industrial clear cover over the metal
http://www.zagg.com/iphone-4-antenna-fix.php

They could be onto something


Quote:
Not all experts think the iPhone 4's design is a bad idea. Haim Harel, president and founder of wireless chip maker Magnolia Broadband, said Apple may have created a design "breakthrough" if it can perfect external antennas for cellphones.

The approach, which saves space for other functions in a phone, was also praised by Franz Birkner, CEO of antenna technology maker Rayspan Corp. "But the challenge of innovation is it inevitably comes with risk," he said.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...Tabs%3Darticle

I hope Apple can get this external antenna to work and patent the hell out of it !!!!
post #106 of 108
Complain rate is low because it's a non issue, as it has been reasonably indicated by Steve Jobs in the very beginning of the whole hogwash.
Well-funded gawkers & psystars --- frankly, this is where US Senate is really welcome to look in --- will not understand.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #107 of 108
Me and a bunch of friends have had ip4s since launch. None of us have had any kind of antenna problems. Well, no, one friend does. He can make this thumb on the left thing happen. But he said its a spot where his old phone didn't work at all so he doesn't care. On the whole, no one has really had any problems. In fact, I'm left handed and I don't have this problem no matter how I hold it.

I think this problem is only effecting people who are in areas where the signal is bad to begin with.
post #108 of 108
distorteddistorteddistorteddistorteddistorteddisto rteddistorteddistorteddistorteddistorteddistortedd istorteddistorteddistorteddistorteddistorteddistor teddistorteddistorteddistorteddistorteddistorteddi storteddistorteddistorteddistorteddistorteddistort eddistorteddistorteddistorteddistorteddistorteddis torteddistorteddistorteddistorteddistorteddistorte ddistorteddistorteddistorteddistorteddistorteddist orteddistorteddistorteddistorteddistorteddistorted distorted


if every family owns 4 iphones and one of them decided call apple, shouldn't that percentage multiplied by 4 as it represents 4 iphones?

that 0.55% by itself is not low and that 0.55% is under representative.

plus.

return rate, strictly considered, cannot represent the issue.

maybe, 0.1 of 6% return rate for 3GS represent antenna issue,
and 1.6 out of 1.7% return rate for 4G represent antenna issue.

K?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple says just 0.55% of iPhone owners have reported antenna problems