or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple will give away free cases for every iPhone 4 through Sept. 30

Apple will give away free cases for every iPhone 4 through Sept. 30

post #1 of 316
Every new iPhone 4 purchased through Sept. 30 will be eligible for a variety of free cases, and those who already purchased a first-party "bumper" will receive a refund, Apple announced on Friday.

Apple will offer its own bumpers, but said it cannot make the cases fast enough for customers, so it will source some other cases from other vendors and give users a choice of options. Users will be able to pick which one they would like.

Customers can apply for their free case on Apple's website starting late next week. "Pick a case, zoom, we'll send it off to you," Jobs reportedly said. "That simple."

In addition, customers who are still unhappy with the iPhone 4 can return their handset undamaged within 30 days for a full refund. Users can return before or after they've received their free case.

"No restocking fee or anything," Jobs said. "We want to take care of everyone. We want every user to be happy."

However, he revealed that there will not be a refund for customers who bought third-party cases for the iPhone 4. There are a very small number of people in that category, he said, because there are so few cases available. Jobs said he wishes there were more people with cases, because then the problem wouldn't have been as widespread.
post #2 of 316
Awesome.
post #3 of 316
Problem solved i'd say. Bumpers that cost Apple $1 in production.
post #4 of 316
Apple rules. Everyone else drools.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #5 of 316
I think they are working with 3rd party case makers on this, so it doesn't kill their sales.
post #6 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriana View Post

They are also going to be allowing users some choice from sourced third party cases. These will probably cost Apple significantly more than their 1st party bumpers.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #7 of 316
I see a lot of people in the queue who "never" had any signal issues! Hypocrites.
post #8 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

I think they are working with 3rd party case makers on this, so it doesn't kill their sales.

I thought they said they were going with 3rd party because they couldn't meet current demand with the Apple bumpers. Apple bumpers are also being given away.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #9 of 316
Jobs is truly the best salesman on the planet right now. He turns a giant clusterF* into a PR coup simply by giving out free stuff that fixes a problem.

He said what needed to be said and what exactly creates the apple lovefest: "Apple loves its customers and we will fix this for you!"

it is what makes me always buy their stuff.

Now if only my iphone 4 would ship!!! I want mine!
post #10 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

They are also going to be allowing users some choice from sourced third party cases. These will probably cost Apple significantly more than their 1st party bumpers.

I suspect if they wanted to be included as a choice, they will give Apple a reasonable rate.

post #11 of 316
I think it is a good move.

I would like to hear from everyone who said that there was no way in hell Apple would ever give away free bumpers though.
post #12 of 316
what about the slow uplaod att thing? why did nobody ask abou that . it makes my phone useless when i am not in a wifi area.
post #13 of 316
Oct. 1 iPod event with updated iPhone hardware fix?
post #14 of 316
So... Essential a Rubber Bandage for Apple Big BooBoo -
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #15 of 316
that's the problem of AT& T, nothing Apple can do about. If you ask, they'll tell you that they're watching AT &T's progress in fixing it.
post #16 of 316
ZING !! I get a free case

Not had any issues with the signal but I will take a free £25 bumper case if its going
post #17 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Oct. 1 iPod event with updated iPhone hardware fix?

Exactly, what happens AFTER Sept. 30?

I'm expecting there will be an antenna redesign.
post #18 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by grking View Post

I would like to hear from everyone who said that there was no way in hell Apple would ever give away free bumpers though.

You won't, and if you were to remind them of what they posted, they'll deny it vehemently (even if you post the exact link).

That's the way of the fanatic -
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #19 of 316
Yeah, good solution. Clip this on it'll work better.
post #20 of 316
Mark my words - There will be a lot of people that think this is bull and will try to sue. I'm glad Apple addressed this but there will always be people that will never be happy.
post #21 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktronix View Post

---Agree-what happens after Sept 30?!!!
post #22 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrkiran View Post

I see a lot of people in the queue who "never" had any signal issues! Hypocrites.

No kidding. Since I was a whiner, they get a free case. Piss off to the people that bashed the ones that had real issues.

About your new case, you're welcome.
post #23 of 316
Quote:

Agreed, trying to keep the vendor ecosystem healthy. It doesn't make sense that they couldn't stamp out bumpers at a somewhat faster clip than they produce the actual phones!
post #24 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriana View Post

This is not only an extremely unkind and biased comment, but inaccurate as well.

The actual cost is closer to 10 bucks, and Apple can't make enough of them anyway, so they have offered to buy cases from other manufacturers at full retail price and then give them to the whiners free of charge.

I think this was a great press conference, the only thing that surprised me was caving in to the whiners with free cases, after he made it fairly obvious that there wasn't really even a problem (except for the psychological one), that they could find.

I'm loving the new bar display myself. I always had five bars everywhere before, and it's way handier and way more interesting to know what the actual signal strength is rather than just being presented with the five bars all the time.
post #25 of 316
So Apple did what it needed to do. This is over IMHO. That being said...

Steve spent a good chunk of time pointing out how all smartphones have this problem. It isn't just an iPhone problem. What I find odd about this, listening to Apple marketing and Steve himself, is that it is Apple's contention that the iPhone isn't like other smartphones. It is better. It is great. It delivers an unequaled user experience, etc, etc.

So it has a serious flaw like other smartphones but it is unlike other smartphones?

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

post #26 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakboy View Post

Jobs is truly the best salesman on the planet right now. He turns a giant clusterF* into a PR coup simply by giving out free stuff that fixes a problem.

He said what needed to be said and what exactly creates the apple lovefest: "Apple loves its customers and we will fix this for you!"

it is what makes me always buy their stuff.

Now if only my iphone 4 would ship!!! I want mine!

Did he ever say "sorry" or "I/we apologize?" Just curious as the feed obviously isnt a verbatim report.
post #27 of 316
I am ordering my iPhone 4 today. No more waiting.
post #28 of 316
1. I bought a Belkin Grip Vue case from best buy because i didnt want to deal with no back or front protection, and now i see i couldve had a free case? ugh, hope they strike a deal with Belkin

2. They're gonna give customers free bumper cases until september 30. HOW ABOUT THE CUSTOMERS AFTER THAT???? Will everybody just start going crazy about antenna problems then?? hmmm sounds to me like apple is planning to do something else about this by then
post #29 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutant View Post

Mark my words - There will be a lot of people that think this is bull and will try to sue. I'm glad Apple addressed this but there will always be people that will never be happy.

Not for good reasonfor greed. If someone was truly so unhappy with the iPhone 4 that they regretted the purchase, they would return the phone and get the phone of their dreams. Or if they wanted the iPhone 4 so much they would buy a case. Or, you know, use it, like pretty much everyone is content to doit has been a long time since I've had a phone as reliable as my iPhone 4.

No, if they sue at this point, it will be because of old-fashioned tried and true greed.

Expect the lawsuits. I'm sure Apple is.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
post #30 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I suspect if they wanted to be included as a choice, they will give Apple a reasonable rate.

They will probably give $29 discount on other cases.
post #31 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is not only an extremely unkind and biased comment, but inaccurate as well.

The actual cost is closer to 10 bucks, and Apple can't make enough of them anyway, so they have offered to buy cases from other manufacturers at full retail price and then give them to the whiners free of charge.

I think this was a great press conference, the only thing that surprised me was caving in to the whiners with free cases, after he made it fairly obvious that there wasn't really even a problem (except for the psychological one), that they could find.

I'm loving the new bar display myself. I always had five bars everywhere before, and it's way handier and way more interesting to know what the actual signal strength is rather than just being presented with the five bars all the time.

$10 for those bumpers? You're kidding me right. They have machines in China pump those things from a mold faster than you can type. I'd say $1 each is about right.
post #32 of 316
Very good of Apple to do this.

Cant please everyone all the time...
So im sure there will still be people whining about it.
Sorta the price you pay for buying right when a new redesigned product is released.
YOU are the final Beta tester

If we werent switching carriers I would have placed my order for the White iPhone already

2010 MacBook Pro 13, 2.66
Dell XPS 420 - Gaming PC
iPhone 3G 8GB
iPhone 4 on StraightTalk

2010 MacBook Pro 13, 2.66
Dell XPS 420 - Gaming PC
iPhone 3G 8GB
iPhone 4 on StraightTalk

post #33 of 316
Quote:

No antenna fix. The most likely scenario is that a case would be included in the iPhone 4G package.
post #34 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

So Apple did what it needed to do. This is over IMHO. That being said...

Steve spent a good chunk of time pointing out how all smartphones have this problem. It isn't just an iPhone problem. What I find odd about this, listening to Apple marketing and Steve himself, is that it is Apple's contention that the iPhone isn't like other smartphones. It is better. It is great. It delivers an unequaled user experience, etc, etc.

So it has a serious flaw like other smartphones but it is unlike other smartphones?

-kpluck

I may have to retract the "This is over IMHO" comment.

I was just watching the live Q&A based on answer to a question, I am not sure if the refunds apply to people that bought their iphone from someone other than Apple.

A question was asked if the refund applies to AT&T and jobs response was "I believe so." Hopefully, everyone will honor the refund (AT&T, Best Buy, etc) but if they don't, there will probably be a lot noise about it.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

Do you use MagicJack?

post #35 of 316
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Did he ever say "sorry" or "I/we apologize?" Just curious as the feed obviously isnt a verbatim report.

Yes, he apologized. But he's still in denial about the flaw, because "every phone has weak spots". Well, if the bumper makes your weak spot go away, then a) your statement is untrue and b) why not insulate the antenna at the factory?
post #36 of 316
Quote:

They already indicated they are happy with the current antenna design and have no plans to change it in the near future.
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
post #37 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutant View Post

Sue about what? Apple either takes the phone back or gives you a free case to fix the problem, they can only argue Apple is lying or providing wrong scientific data, in that case i wish everyone luck to proof that.
post #38 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by grking View Post

I think I was one of those.

I was wrong, but I still think the same way about it. Steve spent half an hour showing how there wasn't really an issue worth mentioning, but then they have to throw a freebie at the whiners just to shut them up. I think it's wrong and I won't be availing myself of the opportunity to get one, because .... wait for it .... I'm not a hypocrite!

Seriously. As much as I think all the people complaining are useless whiners, those that *don't* think there is a problem (like me) who then turn around and get their free bumper are lower than pond scum IMO.

Right or wrong, stick to what you believe or you don't have any credibility at all. Also, since the cases are going to be in short supply, how about letting the fat-handed people who actually believe they have a problem holding the phone properly to get the cases they need?
post #39 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Those plastic cases cost about 25c to manufacture, though after you factor in the packaging and distribution related expenses, the cost may be in the $1 range.
post #40 of 316
So all of you who stated here that you never had issues with attenuation( Solipsism, etc. ), won't be

getting the free case, right? Right.. that's what I thought.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple will give away free cases for every iPhone 4 through Sept. 30