or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple will give away free cases for every iPhone 4 through Sept. 30
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple will give away free cases for every iPhone 4 through Sept. 30 - Page 7

post #241 of 316
[QUOTE=SendMe;1677392]Here's a picture from the Apple website showing the grip that gives problems with the iPhone 4. It doesn't look very natural to me.



If the fingernails were a little dirtier-- that would be me.

I have small hands and that's exactly the way I hold the iPhone. I am right handed and do most one-finger touches with my right hand, while cradling the phone in the left.

Also, I don't change my grip [much] when I place the phone to my left ear for a phone call.

.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #242 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No, I do not have an issue with my iPhone going from 5 bars to No Service from touching the "3G-Spot".

No, I have not said those with an issue are lying. In fact, I come to the defense of those with issues to thosebto the other extreme Jo stated the problem doesn't exist. I used the circumstantial evidence of a comparably excessive number of posters atatingbthey had the issue, as well as well known tech writers, testers and bloggers. I later stated that I've seen the issue happen and did direct comparisons with my phone.

I've also tried to ease the fear and distress by informing iPhone 4 buyers who arent happy with their purchase that they can return it within 30-days risk free (at least in the US). This was well before Apple officially reminded everyone of this fact.

I will buy cases as they serve several purposes, the least of which is to limit signal attenuation. Note that cellphone cases existed long before the iPhone 4.

PS: I still don't have the problem as I write this with only one EDGE bar on version 4.0.1.

Well... you made a lot of typing mistakes

.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #243 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

"And when those revised phones are available, owners of the current design should have the option to return their phone for a free upgrade."


I don't think that what you suggest is reasonable:

So, in the next 2-11 months from now (when/if an upgrade is made) anyone who wants should get a free replacement for his iP4?

Yes. The longer Apple takes, the more it will cost them.

Quote:
If Apple had that exposure what would be their incentive to do a redesign before the next iPhone?

Then the next iPhone would constitute the redesign. The incentive is to address a known and demonstrated vulnerability that is unreasonable for the product, and easily remedied at the design level. There's market incentive to get it done quickly. Delaying will be harmful to Apple's PR. The free cases are a nice gesture and take the heat off for a time. But a permanent fix for the device itself is still in order.

Quote:
Why should you, or anyone, expect to buy a new car, phone, refrigerator, etc, use if for a period of time (inducing wear and tear), then feel entitled to a replacement when a new design/feature was added?

I'm not talking about a new feature, but a fix of an unfortunate design decision. And it is not from a sense of entitlement. Fixing the vulnerability is in Apple's best long-term interest.

Quote:
Sorry, I just don't understand that mentality!

That's okay.


Quote:
You have a choice:

1) if you have already bought the iPhone 4 return it or encase it (free)-- those are the options on the table

2) if you have not bought an iPhone-- see it for what it is, and decide to buy or not.


Or, if you are interested, I will lease you an iPhone 4, with an upgrade option (up to, but not including iPhone 5), for, say, $290 up front, and $90 a month for 11 months (off the top of my head).

Something like that would be more practical and a more sound business proposition that what you are asking of Apple.

.

What's on the table today is not what's on the table in September. Things change, just as Apple's stance has changed from "Just don't hold it in that manner". They realized the PR of "don't hold it that way" isn't what they want. Apple sells high-end devices and has created a public perception of top quality. That's a cachet that is very hard to earn, and very easy to lose. And they have a whole lot more competition in the smartphone market these days. A complete fix that is above reproach, is worth whatever it takes.

Again, I feel that a complete removal of the vulnerability (for those customers who want it), is in Apple's best interests.
post #244 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Here's a picture from the Apple website showing the grip that gives problems with the iPhone 4. It doesn't look very natural to me.


We disagree. I just picked up my phone in the usual way. My grip is almost exactly like that, held in my left hand so I can use my right hand to interact with the screen. Okay, I don't block the screen with my fingers, but still essentially the same in term of contact points.
post #245 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yeah, that's crazy talk. I don't think he's here for a genuine, honest discussion, though.

I've bought tens of thousands of dollars of Apple's products. I want to see them succeed and keep up the good work. Take care of the customer, just like Steve says. They're still working on it. When they come up with a solution, the best course, imho, is to make it available to anyone who wants it. Keep the customer happy and they will keep coming back. The lost revenue will come back 10-fold. Apple's biggest asset is their reputation. "Insanely Great!" isn't something achieved with half measures.

So, is all that crazy talk?
post #246 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie View Post

$10 for those bumpers? You're kidding me right. They have machines in China pump those things from a mold faster than you can type. I'd say $1 each is about right.

You obviously have never owned a manufacturing business or completely understand product cost. You need to consider many elements, amortized cost of design, tooling, marketing, cost for packaging, shipping, handling, cost of sales not to mention lost revenue now that potentially millions will be given away free. I guarantee that they cost more than $1.
post #247 of 316
"We've been working our butts off for the last 22 days and here's what we know about the problem..." Reminds me of BP's response to the oil spill.

"Do we have a fix? No, not really, but here's a bunch of evidence that says it's not our fault and it's not that big of a problem". HMMM?

Anyway, at this point the trick is that they made compromises for the design. Is the design going to change? No Probably not. The phone is not defective, merely flawed. Are there "fixes" yes, but it requires the user to change their habits, utilize a bumper/ skin/ case or downgrade their service and use edge networking.

Is that satisfactory? For some. I don't have to use a "monkey paw death grip" per se but I admit, I hold the phone cupped in the palm of my hand like your "not supposed to". I use my thumb to navigate apps most of the time, which is clearly how the device was intended to be used; cupped in the palm of your hand, stable and navigated with the thumb. Using two hands to use the Iphone is silly and holding it in my finger tips forces me to 1) use two hands and 2) look like a girl when use it. Could be a problem.

I do use skins so that will probably help. Am I ok with edge for most things? Yeah, not a heavy bandwidth user and I still have a 1G iphone so not a real disappointment, hopefully I won't have too, but I'll have a better battery life anyway. The processor is much faster, the camera is way better, the screens kicks ass, facetime is great for the family and i get GPS, and motion sensors too.

I look forward to upgrading just so I can assess the problem from my own anecdotal experience. I think this is much less of a problem than it's being publicized as. I doubt Apple's covering anything up and given their ethos it sounds like Apple made compromises and somewhat "dictatorial" decisions to make it a better device as a whole. Pretty typical of them and this time their arrogance bit them in the ass.

Competitors got wind of the short comings and used it to their advantage. What's the only attack point in Apple's iphone armor? Obviously it's not the screen, the apps, not the design or the battery life or the processor or the OS or anything else you can think of. It's the antenna and now they've got some work to do cleaning up their previously untarnished image.

I like Apple products because I like their balance in product design, so I'll probably enjoy the new iphone despite the compromise to the antenna. Everything else is top notch. Next time though Apple, don't be so arrogant to assume people will change their habits for you and don't ever underestimate the medias fascination with building someone up just so they can take you down.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
post #248 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

I've bought tens of thousands of dollars of Apple's products. I want to see them succeed and keep up the good work. Take care of the customer, just like Steve says. They're still working on it. When they come up with a solution, the best course, imho, is to make it available to anyone who wants it. Keep the customer happy and they will keep coming back. The lost revenue will come back 10-fold. Apple's biggest asset is their reputation. "Insanely Great!" isn't something achieved with half measures.

So, is all that crazy talk?

Yeah, completely and utterly insane. That's like saying, after buying a MacBook Pro, you should get the next gen one for free because it might be better. That sure would make customers happy, but it's crazy to think it's reasonable.

If you're worried there might be a better one coming, return the one you bought while you're in the return period and buy the next one.
post #249 of 316
All I can say is: Apple, where's my Phone? Cut a guy a break here, and slide one of those phones you are readying for the international debut my way.
post #250 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by macshark View Post

No antenna fix. The most likely scenario is that a case would be included in the iPhone 4G package.

not cost effective.....
post #251 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

As much as I think all the people complaining are useless whiners, those that *don't* think there is a problem (like me) who then turn around and get their free bumper are lower than pond scum IMO.

I think that Apple should make the free bumpers a different color from the old ones (maybe Zune brown), with the words WHINER stamped all around the edge.
post #252 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yeah, completely and utterly insane. That's like saying, after buying a MacBook Pro, you should get the next gen one for free because it might be better. That sure would make customers happy, but it's crazy to think it's reasonable.

If you're worried there might be a better one coming, return the one you bought while you're in the return period and buy the next one.

Bad analogy. We're not talking about getting a next-gen product for free. We're talking about fixing a flaw and what should be a minor revision. A better analogy would be, after buying a MacBook Pro that reboots if you touch the wrong spot on the handrest, you should get a fully-functional MacBook Pro. Does the first one work? Yes. Can you avoid touching the spot? Yes. Can you cover up the spot with a doily so it doesn't short out? Yes. Should you have to put up with it? NO. Does Apple want to become known as a company that expects the user to put a doily on the handrest? No.

I think you're hung up on this idea that somebody somewhere might get "something for nothing". And they might. Cost of doing business the right way. When I make a mistake people expect me to fix it. And not with band aids.
post #253 of 316
HTC, Motorola, Google and Samsung should all give away free cases.

Videos: death grip on EVO, Droid Incredible, Nexus One, Galaxy 1, G1, etc.


* Samsung I9000 Galaxy S: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LROTHrTR92k

* HTC Evo Signal Attenuation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pj2YBYTbag

* Samsung Galaxy 1:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

* Samsung Galaxy 2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPCQdYtPihg

* Droid Incredible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaDE941PzQk

* Droid Incredible (With Network Extender in Room): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpEQH...eature=related

* Nexus One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEIA_lMwqJA

* Nexus One vs. iPhone (start at 1:29): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvMoV4_C4aA

* Nexus One: http://posterous.com/getfile/files.p...n_-_iPhone.m4v

* Nexus One (after Google's update to correct): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2g5J4qPp54

* Nexus One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deCkjeHYT-g

* Android G1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CDaxhjUs9M

* "Major signal degradation when Nexus One is picked up" (N1 Thread on On this Problem): http://www.google.com/support/forum/...9184c33e&hl=en
post #254 of 316
I really wanted to support Apple in this thing, and I was finally ready to leave Verizon for AT&T when the iPhone 4 came out. But I am disappointed with what appears to be an obvious design flaw in the iPhone 4 and Apple's weak response. In my opinion the Newsweek story nailed it:
http://www.newsweek.com/2010/07/16/apple-s-rotten-reponse.html?from=rss

Quote:
Apple CEO Steve Jobs came up with a two-part solution. Part 1: There is no problem. Part 2: Even though there is no problem, were going to give everyone a free case, which should insulate the antenna and prevent the interference that we just told you isnt actually occurring. But if youre still not happy, you can give back the phone for a full refund. Jobss snotty tone made it clear that he was pretty fed up with all the whining about a problem that he says doesnt exist.

Regarding the design flaw:
Quote:
No other phone has ever put an electrically active antenna on the exterior of the device, says Richard Gaywood, a wireless-networking engineer.

Apple shouldn't have done it either. It's that simple.
post #255 of 316
. . .
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #256 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Well... you made a lot of typing mistakes

I was on a boat about to go wakeboarding. Oh well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha10711 View Post

I really wanted to support Apple in this thing, and I was finally ready to leave Verizon for AT&T when the iPhone 4 came out. But I am disappointed with what appears to be an obvious design flaw in the iPhone 4 and Apple's weak response. In my opinion the Newsweek story nailed it:
http://www.newsweek.com/2010/07/16/apple-s-rotten-reponse.html?from=rss

Quote:
Apple CEO Steve Jobs came up with a two-part solution. Part 1: There is no problem. Part 2: Even though there is no problem, we’re going to give everyone a free case, which should insulate the antenna and prevent the interference that we just told you isn’t actually occurring. But if you’re still not happy, you can give back the phone for a full refund. Jobs’s snotty tone made it clear that he was pretty fed up with all the whining about a problem that he says doesn’t exist.

Regarding the design flaw:
Quote:
No other phone has ever put an electrically active antenna on the exterior of the device,” says Richard Gaywood, a wireless-networking engineer.

Apple shouldn't have done it either. It's that simple.

“That’s the way we’ve always done it so that’s the way it should always be done.” is a winning philosophy¡ Awesome way to live your life¡ Who cares about the better signal strength compared to other phones in most cases or their ability to reduce the size while adding more to the design. I guess that is all pointless so long as don’t ever change anything¡
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #257 of 316
I wished Microsoft gave away a working copy of Vista
Happy DiNo ***MAC Pro*** 2X 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 32GB RAM Mac Pro RAID Card 2 X 300GB 15,000-rpm SAS 2 X 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3GB/s NVIDIAQuadro FX 5600 1.5GB 2X 16x S-Drives AirPort...
Reply
Happy DiNo ***MAC Pro*** 2X 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 32GB RAM Mac Pro RAID Card 2 X 300GB 15,000-rpm SAS 2 X 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3GB/s NVIDIAQuadro FX 5600 1.5GB 2X 16x S-Drives AirPort...
Reply
post #258 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

So all of you who stated here that you never had issues with attenuation( Solipsism, etc. ), won't be

getting the free case, right? Right.. that's what I thought.

Why? I've always been planning on getting a case...just to keep the phone from being scratched. Probably a better one than the cheapo one they'll be giving away...
post #259 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro View Post

I wished Microsoft gave away a working copy of Vista

They did, it was during a promo in 2007.

That's how I got my copy of Vista Business.

As far as Apple, just more hubris. "There is no problem, but here's a free case so shut up. Our phone is the most advanced smartphone, yet it has attenuation issues like other some other smartphones." And why only until Sept. 30th?

It's a band-aid. Prettier than nail polish or electrical tape, but you shouldn't need to use a case in some environments, especially if you don't want to use one. I prefer a naked phone.
post #260 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post





And did you miss the fact that 4 has slightly more dropped calls than 3GS?

What we don't know is if some of the additional dropped calls are made in areas where a 3GS couldn't even make or receive a call to begin with. Statistics can be played from many angles.
post #261 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesw View Post

HTC, Motorola, Google and Samsung should all give away free cases.

Videos: death grip on EVO, Droid Incredible, Nexus One, Galaxy 1, G1, etc.


* Samsung I9000 Galaxy S: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LROTHrTR92k

* HTC Evo Signal Attenuation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pj2YBYTbag

* Samsung Galaxy 1:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

* Samsung Galaxy 2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPCQdYtPihg

* Droid Incredible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaDE941PzQk

* Droid Incredible (With Network Extender in Room): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpEQH...eature=related

* Nexus One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEIA_lMwqJA

* Nexus One vs. iPhone (start at 1:29): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvMoV4_C4aA

* Nexus One: http://posterous.com/getfile/files.p...n_-_iPhone.m4v

* Nexus One (after Google's update to correct): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2g5J4qPp54

* Nexus One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deCkjeHYT-g

* Android G1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CDaxhjUs9M

* "Major signal degradation when Nexus One is picked up" (N1 Thread on On this Problem): http://www.google.com/support/forum/...9184c33e&hl=en

Good stuff! You should post this list on every forum.
post #262 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmac View Post

actually - i know the factory - it costs just under $3

And that $3 includes maintenance/replacement of the tooling, shipping, handling and cost of sales, for example? I doubt it. Also note that some people that would have bought the cover will now be receiving it for free, therefore, there is lost revenue as well.
post #263 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmac View Post

actually - i know the factory - it costs just under $3

Adding to what RKRick stated, is that $3 cost for the factory before they add on their profit for making the case so they pay their employees, by materials, maintain the factory, power, water, fees, etc. and turn a profit for investors., or is that what Apple pays the factory for each Bumper?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #264 of 316
I do hope all people who said (Solipsism among others) they have no issue won't request one, since as they said, they don't need it.
However, I want to share that this afternoon, Apple Store, Louvre, Paris, employee told me to "use my right hand or buy a case".

For some reason, I'm getting the Apple Free Case (TM?), maybe the fact that I want to hold my phone securely with my left hand while I do everything else with the right one, like open doors, mouseclick etc...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply
post #265 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by grking View Post

I think it is a good move.

I would like to hear from everyone who said that there was no way in hell Apple would ever give away free bumpers though.

I was one of those people.

I didn't think Apple would do it because they didn't want to forego the revenue.

But I say kudos to Apple for biting the bullet.
post #266 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Apple rules. Everyone else drools.

best post this month

Apple rules. Everyone else drools.



Apple rules. Everyone else drools.

Apple rules.

i feel this thread should have a theme song or something . maybe
>> dirty deeds done dirt cheap !!

judy singing
somewhere over the rainbow ...


9

i am not
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #267 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

I do hope all people who said (Solipsism among others) they have no issue won't request one, since as they said, they don't need it.

I bought one, Asshat. Since when is attenuation issues the ONLY reason to buy a protective case. I seem to recall a thriving industry for protective cases long before the iPhone 4, long before the iPhone, long before cellphones, and long before Apple. And since your memory isnt so good most of my testing was done before I had a Bumper or with my Bumper off when I compared it to another in the same local with the issue.

PS: Ill be buying a case from MarWare and perhaps from Mophie, like I did with my previous iPhones when they become available.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #268 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

We're talking about fixing a flaw and what should be a minor revision.

Isn't is all a matter degree? Is there one cell phone that is not affected by human attenuation?

Yes, you can make the bars go up and down. Neat party trick. But my iP4 works fine. The bars may change when I put my hand on it a weak signal strength area but it doesn't drop calls.

Flaw? Na. Physics.
post #269 of 316
If APPLE had bumpers and cases around for the launch on June 24th, most likely they never would have this public relations fiasco.
post #270 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post

As far as Apple, just more hubris. "There is no problem, but here's a free case so shut up. Our phone is the most advanced smartphone, yet it has attenuation issues like other some other smartphones." And why only until Sept. 30th?

It's a band-aid. Prettier than nail polish or electrical tape, but you shouldn't need to use a case in some environments, especially if you don't want to use one. I prefer a naked phone.

So do I. In a strong signal strength area, I can't make the bars move. At home, in a low signal strength ares, I can make them move.

I tried some E-tape on my iPhone 4 and it didn't make any difference.

They set the September date to give them time in case they find another solution.
post #271 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha10711 View Post

I really wanted to support Apple in this thing, and I was finally ready to leave Verizon for AT&T when the iPhone 4 came out. But I am disappointed with what appears to be an obvious design flaw in the iPhone 4 and Apple's weak response. In my opinion the Newsweek story nailed it:
http://www.newsweek.com/2010/07/16/apple-s-rotten-reponse.html?from=rss



Regarding the design flaw: Apple shouldn't have done it either. It's that simple.

It may seem the external antenna was a good move. Bring the antenna out of the case to make it more sensitive and perform better. I now get better reception at home with the iP4 than with the iP1

Yes, now that the human can touch the antenna, it will attenuate the signal but it may be better overall. Remember, even with the human attenuation, only 1% more dropped calls than the 3GS. And you may be able to make calls in areas where the 3GS could not.

I'm keeping my iP4.
post #272 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


It's not over by a long shot. It SHOULD be, but there will still be a lot of whining and complaints and demands that Apple rewrite the laws of physics - and lawsuits. Sadly.

This is the best statement on the issue that I have read!

Unfortunately, Steve has called some of his products "Magical" and now people expect Tinker Bell to fly out of of them and grant them their every wish.

I have had used Mac products since around 1987 and honestly the technology is magical, but now people expect Apple to change the laws of physics as if they are one of the "Q" from STNG!

Just be grateful for the marvelous things they can do, some of us remember when computers didn't exist, and telephones were connected by several wires and even that was quite marvelous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Didn't he say "...I do apologize to them"? He must have said that, because otherwise, it would not have been an actual apology.

I only copied and pasted what the blogger for SFGate wrote, others here have posted other variations written by other bloggers. the whole presentation is up online now so you can check what Steve actually said if it is that important to you.
post #273 of 316
Is there a long term fix for the iphone4? The free bumper and case is a band aid solution.
post #274 of 316
Was going to wait for the white iP4 at the end of this month. I was really looking forward to the white iP4, but now I'm getting a little worried that it may show scratches and stuff. I was originally thinking that the black one would should a lot more grease, fingerprints etc than the white one. I may just go ahead and get the black one this week. Funny how people I know with an iP4 in Japan don't have any antenna issues. Every complaint I've read comes from the USA.
post #275 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post

It may seem the external antenna was a good move. Bring the antenna out of the case to make it more sensitive and perform better. I now get better reception at home with the iP4 than with the iP1

Yes, now that the human can touch the antenna, it will attenuate the signal but it may be better overall. Remember, even with the human attenuation, only 1% more dropped calls than the 3GS. And you may be able to make calls in areas where the 3GS could not.

I'm keeping my iP4.

Just for accuracy's sake, less than 1% more dropped calls than the 3GS.
post #276 of 316
[QUOTE=Dick Applebaum;1677443]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Here's a picture from the Apple website showing the grip that gives problems with the iPhone 4. It doesn't look very natural to me.



If the fingernails were a little dirtier-- that would be me.

I have small hands and that's exactly the way I hold the iPhone. I am right handed and do most one-finger touches with my right hand, while cradling the phone in the left.

Also, I don't change my grip [much] when I place the phone to my left ear for a phone call.

.

That's how I hold it... I think that is a pretty natural way of gripping it.\
post #277 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

Was going to wait for the white iP4 at the end of this month. I was really looking forward to the white iP4, but now I'm getting a little worried that it may show scratches and stuff. I was originally thinking that the black one would should a lot more grease, fingerprints etc than the white one. I may just go ahead and get the black one this week. Funny how people I know with an iP4 in Japan don't have any antenna issues. Every complaint I've read comes from the USA.


Its like the LG and Samsung phones that work great in high density population areas where cell coverage is such that there are few low signal areas. You can't give em to a farmer around my neck of the woods: too many dropped calls. Contrast that with the late, lamented Moto W385 which kicks butt for coverage area and reliability. Simple, low feature phone that just works.

It is really hard to find an Asian sourced phone that works as well, sensitivity wise. They make them for their home markets.

My experience with the 3GS is that it is almost as sensitive as the Motorola unit. Several of my friends and neighbors bought the i4 and have had great success since I advised them to either hold the phone in a gloved hand or buy a case for it. There were no cases/bumpers available at first so the glove was a useful interim solution.
post #278 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybrain View Post

Several of my friends and neighbors bought the i4 and have had great success since I advised them to either hold the phone in a gloved hand or buy a case for it. There were no cases/bumpers available at first so the glove was a useful interim solution.

All the iP4s I've seen here are naked and work perfectly. GPS was also awesome. If it weren't for mobile phones having such a small screen (even the iPhone), I wouldn't consider buying an iPad for car navigation. First is an iP4 next is a 2nd gen iPad that will come with a camera.
post #279 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Fu Guy View Post

Is there a long term fix for the iphone4? The free bumper and case is a band aid solution.


Yes. Return it.
post #280 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybrain View Post

the glove was a useful interim solution.


But the whiners would say "I don't WANNA wear a glove"!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple will give away free cases for every iPhone 4 through Sept. 30