or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple will give away free cases for every iPhone 4 through Sept. 30

Apple will give away free cases for every iPhone 4 through Sept. 30 - Page 8

post #281 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

what about the slow uplaod att thing? why did nobody ask abou that . it makes my phone useless when i am not in a wifi area.

You likely have one with a manufacturing defect. Just call Applecare and arrange for a Genius bar appointment where they will give you a new iPhone. Not a problem. And why did you not think to do that yourself already?
Or
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

That's an AT&T network problem, not a defect with the iPhone 4. AT&T is aware of the issue.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20...html?tag=mncol

But if it's only AT&T's fault why is this indication not more widespread?

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

post #282 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rind View Post

Very good of Apple to do this. If we werent switching carriers I would have placed my order for the White iPhone already

Good luck with that plan. Where Were You Planning On Ordering White? Apple has yet to turn on White ordering.

post #283 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriana View Post

Problem solved i'd say. Bumpers that cost Apple $1 in production.

Will someone please inform that person from Consumer Reports. Yes he may not agree with Apple's solution that is his right. But Please take into consideration If he still is not happy with his iPhone 4 take it back for a full refund. End of story . If he still has difficulty comprehending that then it is he at Consumers Report who has a problem not Apple.
post #284 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha10711 View Post

I really wanted to support Apple in this thing, and I was finally ready to leave Verizon for AT&T when the iPhone 4 came out. But I am disappointed with what appears to be an obvious design flaw in the iPhone 4 and Apple's weak response. In my opinion the Newsweek story nailed it:
http://www.newsweek.com/2010/07/16/apple-s-rotten-reponse.html?from=rss

Regarding the design flaw: Apple shouldn't have done it either. It's that simple.

wow, this article is scathing!!! Although I don't really agree 100% with this article, he does have some good arguments. If you read through this whole blog, you will notice a lot of post-ers that have changed their tune who had once hated. I expect AI to post something about this soon.
post #285 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

Bad analogy. We're not talking about getting a next-gen product for free. ...

Yes, you are. The analogy is perfect. People know what the issues are, they can buy or not buy, or return if already bought.
post #286 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

wow, this article is scathing!!! Although I don't really agree 100% with this article, he does have some good arguments. If you read through this whole blog, you will notice a lot of post-ers that have changed their tune who had once hated. I expect AI to post something about this soon.

I like how so many Apple consumers feel entitled to whatever they want from Apple. It's like, just because it's Apple, they feel like they should get some sort of special treatment if something isn't the way they want. This is a free-market: if you don't like their product, don't buy it.

In this case, if you've already bought it and don't like it, APPLE IS GIVING YOUR MONEY BACK! What else is there to whine about?
post #287 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrisar View Post

The problem is not solved
It's been addressed.

Two very different notions.

No, it's been solved. You have your choice of solutions. If putting a case on it solves it for you, that's option #1. If you don't want to use a case, return it for a refund. That's option #2.

Either way, problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post

It may seem the external antenna was a good move. Bring the antenna out of the case to make it more sensitive and perform better. I now get better reception at home with the iP4 than with the iP1

I had the 3G and it occasionally dropped calls. Not that big a deal or that often, but enough that I had to occasionally redial. I haven't had a singled dropped call with my iPhone 4 yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKRick View Post

What we don't know is if some of the additional dropped calls are made in areas where a 3GS couldn't even make or receive a call to begin with. Statistics can be played from many angles.

That's a good point. Testing showed that the antenna sensitivity on the 4 is better than on the 3GS. It may well be the case that some of the calls that dropped on the 4 would never have gone through in the first place with the 3GS. That makes the discrepancy even smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post

As far as Apple, just more hubris. "There is no problem, but here's a free case so shut up. Our phone is the most advanced smartphone, yet it has attenuation issues like other some other smartphones." And why only until Sept. 30th?

It's a band-aid. Prettier than nail polish or electrical tape, but you shouldn't need to use a case in some environments, especially if you don't want to use one. I prefer a naked phone.

Instead of simply whining, why don't you provide evidence that Apple is wrong. Show us that other phones don't drop calls. Show us that signal strength doesn't vary with other phones. Show us other phones that have better sensitivity than the iPhone 4.

As for the case, call it what you will. Some people have a problem with a slight increase (over the 3GS--but see above) in dropped calls. When they put a case on the phone (which many people do simply to protect the phone), the problem goes away. If that's not a fix, I don't know what is.

Oh, yeah. if you actually own an iPhone 4 (which is almost certainly not the case), return it for a full refund. PROBLEM SOLVED.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #288 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

But if it's only AT&T's fault why is this indication not more widespread?

I read that the problem was with a particular manufacturer's switch at AT&T towers. That particular new model was not employed widely yet so the problem is not widespread.

"AT&T Wednesday issued a statement that said the upload slow-downs stemmed from software problems in their Alcatel-Lucent HSUPA equipment.

AT&T and Alcatel-Lucent jointly identified a software defect triggered under certain conditions that impacted uplink performance for Laptop Connect and smartphone customers using 3G HSUPA-capable wireless devices in markets with Alcatel-Lucent equipment. This impacts less than two percent of our wireless customer base. While Alcatel-Lucent develops the appropriate software fix, we are providing normal 3G uplink speeds and consistent performance for affected customers with HSUPA-capable devices."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07...ftware_glitch/
post #289 of 316
You should all watch this video about the iPhone. its short, on point and puts a lot of things in perspective: http://vimeo.com/13406519
post #290 of 316
Some people will never be happy until Steve Jobs is flogged and executed in public.
Remember how people still complained after Apple credited the early adopters of the first iPhone? Among the reasons that they complained was that $100 credit wasn't money lost for Apple; these people didn't want Apple to rectify the situation so much as suffer severe loss. It's the same here. No, a case isn't the ideal solution, but it is a solution and until Apple figures out a way to fix it, what more can we expect? To expect Apple to find an adequate solution that brings about no compromises in the span of a few weeks is unrealistic.
post #291 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

Whatever is a hater to do now?

Good Lord, don't encourage the idiots!
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #292 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post

They did, it was during a promo in 2007.

That's how I got my copy of Vista Business.

You missed a key word in your response. They said a "working" copy.
post #293 of 316
Quote:

It's been addressed.

It says anyway that the iPhone4, and even all the former iPhones do have a design issue.

this is an issue present in ALOT of smartphones made by Motorola, Nokia, HTC, Samsung, etc.
post #294 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualia View Post

Some people will never be happy until Steve Jobs is flogged and executed in public.

Yes, and there are also those who will never be happy until Steve Jobs has been sainted and Apple turned into a religion that is sanctioned by the US Government (after all, the US was founded with Apple principles).

It takes two to tango.
post #295 of 316
post #296 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha10711 View Post

I really wanted to support Apple in this thing, and I was finally ready to leave Verizon for AT&T when the iPhone 4 came out. But I am disappointed with what appears to be an obvious design flaw in the iPhone 4 and Apple's weak response. In my opinion the Newsweek story nailed it:
http://www.newsweek.com/2010/07/16/apple-s-rotten-reponse.html?from=rss

Regarding the design flaw: Apple shouldn't have done it either. It's that simple.

Not surprising considering the source. Look how many ads in it are paid by Microsoft.
If I'm not mistaken there's even a Newsweek Microsoft news site.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

post #297 of 316
Yeah, after checking the link I saw in the upper right hand corner a link to subscribe to msnbc.com.
The MS stands for Microsoft.
I'm done.

post #298 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Yes, and there are also those who will never be happy until Steve Jobs has been sainted and Apple turned into a religion that is sanctioned by the US Government (after all, the US was founded with Apple principles).

It takes two to tango.

I agree. Anybody who acts as if Apple doesn't make mistakes and that all this hoopla was only by whiners (a lot of might have been, but there clearly were people who actually did own the phone who actually did have problems with it) is as much an idiot. People need to take a lesson from Steve Jobs. He doesn't pretend Apple is perfect and he doesn't even pretend that Google, Apple's rival, is pure evil.
post #299 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

“That’s the way we’ve always done it so that’s the way it should always be done.” is a winning philosophy¡ Awesome way to live your life¡ Who cares about the better signal strength compared to other phones in most cases or their ability to reduce the size while adding more to the design. I guess that is all pointless so long as don’t ever change anything¡

You mean like telling people that all phones have this issue, so Apple doesn't need to change anything?

I guess you would prefer that Jobs did not say:

"We will continue to work on more advanced antenna designs that don’t have this problem or put this problem in an out of the way place."

http://www.macnn.com/live/#ixzz0tzJsOVio
post #300 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

It takes two to tango.

false dichotomies, unfortunately, dominate alot of discussion on the interwebs, in my opinion.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #301 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualia View Post

I agree. Anybody who acts as if Apple doesn't make mistakes and that all this hoopla was only by whiners (a lot of might have been, but there clearly were people who actually did own the phone who actually did have problems with it) is as much an idiot. People need to take a lesson from Steve Jobs. He doesn't pretend Apple is perfect and he doesn't even pretend that Google, Apple's rival, is pure evil.

I read this somewhere, and it makes a lot of sense about fanboys (Apple, Android, RIM, or any other)

"It's called appropriation. It means that people associate with the tools they use to the extent that they become an extension of their own identity. This entails a favourable view of the tools used and a bias against the ones that aren't.

It's a fairly well understood issue in social constructivist psychology and pretty much explains fanboys."
post #302 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post

I read this somewhere, and it makes a lot of sense about fanboys (Apple, Android, RIM, or any other)

"It's called appropriation. It means that people associate with the tools they use to the extent that they become an extension of their own identity. This entails a favourable view of the tools used and a bias against the ones that aren't.

It's a fairly well understood issue in social constructivist psychology and pretty much explains fanboys."

The ultimate fanboy

http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010...iter-profiled/

Hours before Apple's iPhone 4 press conference, we pointed to a YouTube video of "The iPhone Antenna Song", a humorous two-minute song written by Jonathan Mann, who has been writing and performing a new song every day for the past year and a half.

Mann's effort received new prominence when Apple opened the press conference by playing the clip, with Steve Jobs noting, "We saw that on YouTube this morning and couldn't help but want to share it."

The Los Angeles Times profiles Mann, an "unabashed Apple fanboy" who uses his iPhone 4 for shooting and editing footage.

"The idea of Steve Jobs doing a little jig to my song, it doesn't get any more amazing than that for me," Mann said in an interview in his rumpled Berkeley apartment.
Mann notes that he wrote the song to express frustration over his perception that the iPhone 4 antenna issue has been blown out of proportion, claiming as he did in the song that he has never dropped a call with the device. He reports that he was contacted by Apple early Friday asking permission to use the clip in its press conference.

"I knew the press conference was happening. I had my own opinions. The media was blowing this thing way out of proportion, so I wrote the song and sent it around to a few blogs," Mann said.

The marketing effort paid off. Apple contacted him early Friday morning to ask permission to play the song at the news conference.

"I created something at a moment that resonated with people in a way that was really positive and meaningful. That's what's so cool about it for me," he said.
According to the report, Mann has received no compensation from Apple for the song's use in the press conference, although he apparently wouldn't say no to a free iPad if Apple were to offer him one.
post #303 of 316
Happy with the IPHONE4 ..............keep it and if you want get the free case

UNHAPPY with the IPHONE4 ................. Bring it back get a refund!

Solution is clear. What more do you want. APPLE is not going to to a hardware fix, if they were they would have said so.

Case solves the problem. Had APPLE had cases in store from the beginning, most likely nobody would be complaing as most people put their IPhone in a case anyhow.
post #304 of 316
Oh they ARE going to fix the hardware, if not in a revision after Sept. 30, then surely for iPhone 4S or 5 or whatever it may be called. Apple is not stupid, they will learn from this.
Matyoroy!
Matyoroy!
post #305 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddych View Post

I was waiting for Apple's response before I went ahead and bought an iPhone4. I am a current 3GS user, had one crap out on me 2 days after my warranty and Apple replaced it for free, so I feel like I have to use it for a while before I get another phone.

I wouldn't think that way. Think of it as an opportunity to resell your 3GS for a maximum amount due to the like new condition of the outside and the new battery in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddych View Post

I'm not completely satisfied with the free bumper response, but it's better than nothing. I'd really rather they put some kind of permanent non conductive coating on the antenna so I wouldn't be required to put the phone in a case.

You can do it yourself with a ZAGG Maximum Coverage $25 or Edge Only $10 Invisible Shield for iPhone 4 kit. They have an ongoing weekly contest to win a free iPad that sends you a 20-50% off discount code immediately after you enter EACH WEEK. List price is $25. But I got mine for $12.50 because I've been entering their contest every week since it started in April right after iPads began shipping and accumulated three 50% discount codes in the process.

Watch this video of how their product completely solves this antennae problem in a transparent non-invasive way.

I would encourage everyone to call ZAGG Monday 800.700.9244 and ask if they are going to participate in Apple's Free Case program. I'm going to call and email the President of ZAGG at president@zagg.com and encourage him to try to make that happen since their solution lets people like you use their iPhone 4 without a visible case and yet never get scratched. Theirs is a military grade impenetrable plastic adhesive that super protects the iPhone 4 from any possible scratches. And the Maximum kit includes precut antennae coverage.

post #306 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

I wouldn't think that way. Think of it as an opportunity to resell your 3GS for a maximum amount due to the like new condition of the outside and the new battery in it.You can do it yourself with a ZAGG Maximum Coverage $25 or Edge Only $10 Invisible Shield for iPhone 4 kit. They have an ongoing weekly contest to win a free iPad that sends you a 20-50% off discount code immediately after you enter EACH WEEK. List price is $25. But I got mine for $12.50 because I've been entering their contest every week since it started in April right after iPads began shipping and accumulated three 50% discount codes in the process.

Watch this video of how their product completely solves this antennae problem in a transparent non-invasive way.

I would encourage everyone to call ZAGG Monday 800.700.9244 and ask if they are going to participate in Apple's Free Case program. I'm going to call and email the President of ZAGG at president@zagg.com and encourage him to try to make that happen since their solution lets people like you use their iPhone 4 without a visible case and yet never get scratched. Theirs is a military grade impenetrable plastic adhesive that super protects the iPhone 4 from any possible scratches. And the Maximum kit includes precut antennae coverage.

How durable and protective are those clear Zagg covers ?? ?
post #307 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic8Ball View Post

The ultimate fanboy

http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010...iter-profiled/

Hours before Apple's iPhone 4 press conference, we pointed to a YouTube video of "The iPhone Antenna Song", a humorous two-minute song written by Jonathan Mann, who has been writing and performing a new song every day for the past year and a half.

Mann's effort received new prominence when Apple opened the press conference by playing the clip, with Steve Jobs noting, "We saw that on YouTube this morning and couldn't help but want to share it."

The Los Angeles Times profiles Mann, an "unabashed Apple fanboy" who uses his iPhone 4 for shooting and editing footage.

"The idea of Steve Jobs doing a little jig to my song, it doesn't get any more amazing than that for me," Mann said in an interview in his rumpled Berkeley apartment.
Mann notes that he wrote the song to express frustration over his perception that the iPhone 4 antenna issue has been blown out of proportion, claiming as he did in the song that he has never dropped a call with the device. He reports that he was contacted by Apple early Friday asking permission to use the clip in its press conference.

"I knew the press conference was happening. I had my own opinions. The media was blowing this thing way out of proportion, so I wrote the song and sent it around to a few blogs," Mann said.

The marketing effort paid off. Apple contacted him early Friday morning to ask permission to play the song at the news conference.

"I created something at a moment that resonated with people in a way that was really positive and meaningful. That's what's so cool about it for me," he said.
According to the report, Mann has received no compensation from Apple for the song's use in the press conference, although he apparently wouldn't say no to a free iPad if Apple were to offer him one.

Being a huge apple fanboy at least pays off, many of the most vocal fanboys actually get some notability.
post #308 of 316
Quote:

How durable and protective are those clear Zagg covers ?? ?

Look at the video they have on their site showing them trying to scratch an IS protected iPhone 4 with a key, screws and an electric router to no avail. Nothing can penetrate an Invisible Shield. It comes from the military. It was developed by a Defense Contractor for protecting Military gear. It's better protection than any other brand. And I am not an employee of them at all.

Call them and talk to one of their CS operators at 800.700.9244 and they can tell you all you need to know. Plus they come with a Lifetime Warranty so they will send you a new set of covers if yours gets scratched too much - which is to say the IS may become scratched (not easily), but your iPhone 4 never will.

post #309 of 316
Quote:

It's been addressed.

It says anyway that the iPhone4, and even all the former iPhones do have a design issue.

This spat between Apple and the other smartphone makers is going to get worse. Especially when the iPhone appears on Verizon (and maybe Sprint).

Even though I think the situation is solved as giving a bumper/cover is effectively a redesign in the field - with the benefit of allowing users to select their color

Apple are going to have to:

1 - Coat the antenna with a clear durable insulator spray - so the issue is not reproducible on a phone without a cover/bumper

2 - Redesign and move the antenna inside the phone thus reducing aesthetics and forcing other compromises. Of course this is what the FanDroids and other Smartphone makers want. It also allows the "told you so" moment. I aslo feel this is why the debate is raging on. People - HTC, Google, Motorola, RIM, Nokia, Fandroids want their "Ha Ha" told you so moment.

3- Buy a company like Zagg with their clear sheilds and include them in the product when shipped

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/...ns-shields.php

Even though the free bumpers are technically enough, Apple will have to do one of the above to really kill this IMO.

So which of the 3 suggestions listed above solves this matter for you ?
post #310 of 316
Some people don't like cases and would rather see the pure design of the iphone. I wouldn't want a free case but a correctly-engineered iphone. It should have less dropped calls, without the case. So glad I didn't buy the 4.
post #311 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike View Post

Some people don't like cases and would rather see the pure design of the iphone. I wouldn't want a free case but a correctly-engineered iphone. It should have less dropped calls, without the case. So glad I didn't buy the 4.

ZAGG's award winning, scratch proof invisibleSHIELD (Maximum Coverage)
includes strips to cover the antennas/stainless steel frame.
We also offer a sides only design

It's FREE

http://www.zagg.com/iphone-4-antenna-fix.php

Bet you're still going to complain
post #312 of 316
I dont get it. On one hand they say it's bull but then they turn around and say iPhone 4 drops more calls that previous generations. Oh well. As long as this fixest the problem, it can finally be out to rest.
post #313 of 316
I think the bumpers actually add to the beauty and versatility of the iPhone. It's like having a change of dress.... The thing I'd like to see is the Apple dock accommodate the Bumper since it's essential to have it onboard.
"The cry of equality pulls everyone down." - Iris Murdoch
"The cry of equality pulls everyone down." - Iris Murdoch
post #314 of 316
I realy would like a sena ultraslim case for my iPhone 4. Enyone knows what kind of cases apple will offer?
post #315 of 316
Quote:

This spat between Apple and the other smartphone makers is going to get worse. Especially when the iPhone appears on Verizon (and maybe Sprint).

Even though I think the situation is solved as giving a bumper/cover is effectively a redesign in the field - with the benefit of allowing users to select their color

Apple are going to have to:

1 - Coat the antenna with a clear durable insulator spray - so the issue is not reproducible on a phone without a cover/bumper

2 - Redesign and move the antenna inside the phone thus reducing aesthetics and forcing other compromises. Of course this is what the FanDroids and other Smartphone makers want. It also allows the "told you so" moment. I aslo feel this is why the debate is raging on. People - HTC, Google, Motorola, RIM, Nokia, Fandroids want their "Ha Ha" told you so moment.

3- Buy a company like Zagg with their clear sheilds and include them in the product when shipped

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/...ns-shields.php

Even though the free bumpers are technically enough, Apple will have to do one of the above to really kill this IMO.

So which of the 3 suggestions listed above solves this matter for you ?

I believe that Apple will simply coat the antenna with a clear durable insulator spray. It will be most cost effective way of handling the situation (As long as they do not use one with lead or another bad chemicals!)
The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. But not in that order.

-- Brian Pickrell (Date unknown)
The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. But not in that order.

post #316 of 316
Quote:

It's been addressed.

Very true, they are two different points that a lot of people interchange.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple will give away free cases for every iPhone 4 through Sept. 30