or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Jobs calls Bloomberg story 'total bull,' says NYT 'making things up'

Jobs calls Bloomberg story 'total bull,' says NYT 'making things up'

post #1 of 202
Apple co-founder Steve Jobs publicly responded to an article that claimed he and other executives knew about the iPhone 4 antenna issues before the device was released, calling the piece "total bulls---."

Apple had already publicly denied the Bloomberg report on Thursday, but at Friday's iPhone 4 press conference, Jobs offered more candid remarks on the subject. Jobs made the comments as part of a question-and-answer session following Friday's press conference, which included Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook and Senior Vice President of Macintosh Hardware Engineering Bob Mansfield.

"It's a total crock," Jobs reportedly said about the story. "We talked to everyone about it. We have a great community of scientists. They debate everything. And it's healthy. The best ideas win."

Bloomberg had claimed, in a story filed on Thursday, that Jobs and other Apple executives were warned that the design of the iPhone 4 could lead to reception problems. The report also alleged that a carrier partner of Apple's had expressed concern about the iPhone 4 external antenna before the device launched in late June.

Jobs also referred to an article from The New York Times issued later Thursday, which said the antenna issues were partially software related, and could be fixed in a forthcoming update to the iOS mobile operating system. "They're just making things up," Jobs said of the Times article.

Other interesting comments made during the hourlong question-and-answer session at Friday's press conference:

Jobs said the external antenna allows more space inside the phone for features like a larger battery, all while being smaller than the previous iPhone 3GS. The company has no plans to modify its design of the iPhone 4.

Apple said all companies produce cell phones with weak spots. Making a phone without one is impossible, they said.

There is a Sept. 30 limit for requesting a new case because the company wants to be able to reevaluate the promotion after some time.

There is a shortage of cases because Apple couldn't tell its partners the dimensions of the iPhone 4 before it was announced. Apple will not change its approach in the future, because revealing a new product too far ahead of time will kill the sales of the existing model.

Jobs, Cook and Mansfield all held out their phones and revealed that none of them use protective cases on their iPhone 4.

It's human nature to want to find a successful organization and bring them down, Jobs said. "I see it happening with Google, people trying to tear them down. And I don't understand it... what would you prefer? That we were a Korean company, that we were here in America leading the world with these products... maybe it's just that people want to get eyeballs on their sites."

Jobs said Apple loves its customers so much, any option was considered, including a recall. But the number of users experiencing the issue and contacting AppleCare about it was so small, that they decided it wasn't worth it. Customers' biggest complaint about the iPhone 4: They can't buy one, because it's sold out.

Some users who have called to complain about iPhone reception have received a visit from Apple employees trying to discover the problems. "They've sent teams all over the country, visiting these people in their homes," Jobs said. These people literally get a knock at the door from Apple engineers with a bunch of equipment and want to plug it in and test reception. We're really serious about this."

Jobs said his health is "fine." He noted that he was doing better earlier this week, when he was on vacation in Hawaii.
post #2 of 202
I was kind of shocked to hear Steve use that sort of language in a press conference. It suggests to me that he's really annoyed.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #3 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I was kind of shocked to hear Steve use that sort of language in a press conference. It suggests to me that he's really annoyed.

He will have to be severely disciplined. Mistress Ballmer, do you have your whip handy?! (Stay tuned to this station - video at 10.)

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #4 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It's human nature to want to find a successful organization and "tear it down," Jobs said. He said cited Google as a "great company" that is "jumping on us now."

Looks like a big reporting error somewhere, unless there were two separate conversations.

Engadget's report: Steve: "Maybe it's human nature -- when you're doing well, people want to tear you down. I see it happening with Google, people trying to tear them down. And I don't understand it... what would you prefer? That we were a korean company, that we were here in America leading the world with these products... maybe it's just that people want to get eyeballs on their sites."

So is Steve talking about people tearing down a great company, Google, or about Google tearing Apple down? It seems to be more in line with what Engadget reported. If so, and you're covering the same discussion here, you might want to revise the article.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
post #5 of 202
Quote:

"It's a total crock," Jobs reportedly said about the story.

"They're just making things up," Jobs said of the Times article.

I hope that this puts to rest any ideas of the New York Times having any journalistic integrity whatsoever. Anybody who believes the New York Times believes fiction that is just made up.
post #6 of 202
Quote:

"They're just making things up," Jobs said of the Times article.

Ha! I thought it was only the Fox "News" drones and other such informationally challenged types that spouted this. Hilarious. Still, good to see some direct responses to the hysteria out there. I completely believe that there are people out there with this issue, but based on what I see around here at least, I have trouble believing that it is as widespread as the media theatrics would suggest.
post #7 of 202
That was a little silly. I'm one of many who had some issues, but knew better than to waste my time on hold. And maybe 99 percent tried calling but the phone dropped while they were on hold.

Here's my parody of both sides of this silly story...

iPhone4G Press Conference parody
post #8 of 202
Well, conspiracy theory time...
The most loyal lieutenants and disciples didn't join Steve on the stage.

I know, it's holidays, I know fanbois can tell us lot more stories sounding exactly like this one after weeks of research.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #9 of 202
Quote:

... or that he's not kidding.
post #10 of 202
This is how all of the so-called analysts make their money. Let's run a story that sounds good and will get lots of clicks to our site.
post #11 of 202
You mean the New York Times MAKES the news it doesn't REPORT the news ...? Well I for one am shocked beyond words.

(for the sarcastically challenged ... read between the lines)
post #12 of 202
I guess the engineers just decided on their own to eliminate Field Test Mode from iOS 4, without telling top management.
post #13 of 202
Steve Jobs is full of crap.

OF COURSE HE KNEW AND WAS WARNED IN ADVANCED.

He brags on stage that Apple owned and bought a $100 million dollar antenna testing facility during iphone design. Consumer reports used a $10,000 testing facility and found the problem immediately. Steve says they did thousands of tests, and it was only on a small percentage, and that they should have said something during the keynote.

OF COURSE THEY KNEW IN ADVANCE, and damn right that engineer told him

You can't tell people you had a $100million dollar testing facility but expect them to believe you were so incompetent that you NEVER ONCE EVER SAW THIS ANTENNA ISSUE in advance, because IF THAT IS THE TRUTHThen Apple doesn't belong in the cellphone business.

And anyway steve jobs refuted that when he said, we knew in advance that all smart phones do thisobviously it was discussed quite a bit BEFORE the launch and they were hoping consumers wouldn't figure it out
post #14 of 202
As quoted by Jason Snell, the 0.55% figure of AppleCare calls with an "antenna issue" applies to "all iPhone customers", not just iPhone 4 customers. The figure also omits AppleCare calls about reception or anything near.
post #15 of 202
Quote:

I like it...shows he's human like the rest of us.
post #16 of 202
How many of those scientists to too scared to tell Steve anything other than what he wants to hear?

Worst case from this is that if iPhone problems persist, Steve...and Apple could loose credibility with consumers.
post #17 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by webmail View Post

He brags on stage that Apple owned and bought a $100 million dollar antenna testing facility during iphone design. Consumer reports used a $10,000 testing facility and found the problem immediately. Steve says they did thousands of tests, and it was only on a small percentage, and that they should have said something during the keynote.

You can't tell people you had a $100million dollar testing facility but expect them to believe you were so incompetent that you NEVER ONCE EVER SAW THIS ANTENNA ISSUE in advance, because IF THAT IS THE TRUTHThen Apple doesn't belong in the cellphone business.

And anyway steve jobs refuted that when he said, we knew in advance that all smart phones do thisobviously it was discussed quite a bit BEFORE the launch and they were hoping consumers wouldn't figure it out

You forgot your tinfoil hat.

Btw, its time for your meds.
post #18 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

How many of those scientists to too scared to tell Steve anything other than what he wants to hear?

Worst case from this is that if iPhone problems persist, Steve...and Apple could loose credibility with consumers.

Loose

Loose

Loose

Loose

Lose

Lose

Lose.......
post #19 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

As quoted by Jason Snell, the 0.55% figure of AppleCare calls with an "antenna issue" applies to "all iPhone customers", not just iPhone 4 customers. The figure also omits AppleCare calls about reception or anything near.

So you and Jason Snell are both wrong? At the press conference there was a giant screen that said "0.55% Percent of all iPhone 4 users who have called about antenna or reception"

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/l...ss-conference/
post #20 of 202
Quote:

they were hoping consumers wouldn't figure it out

Eliminating Field Test Mode from iOS 4 was part of the strategy.
post #21 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvmb99 View Post

Ha! I thought it was only the Fox "News" drones and other such informationally challenged types that spouted this. Hilarious. Still, good to see some direct responses to the hysteria out there. I completely believe that there are people out there with this issue, but based on what I see around here at least, I have trouble believing that it is as widespread as the media theatrics would suggest.

Yeah, keep on watching MSNBC... they definitely only report the facts. They never mislead or misrepresent a story.... never! I'd imagine you've never actually watched FOX News, you're just spouting the liberal rhetoric that wants to paint FOX as the bad guy. Next thing you know, you'll be telling me that NBC Nightly News doesn't push a 'green agenda' to boost sales of 'green' products made by their parent company, GE. And, don't respond with the whole NPR crap, cause they're pretty left leaning too. Every news company is leaning.

Look, the media as a whole (including FOX, CNN, Etc) have stopped reporting fact. They are in the sales business, not the reporting business. In fifty years, history will look back on the media in this century and find countless events either created or missed.
post #22 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickmyface View Post

So you and Jason Snell are both wrong?

No, Snell probably wasn't quoting literally, as he was probably just trying to get things out quickly without missing anything important. That's why I qualified the quote as having come through Snell. I interpret everything that comes directly from Apple very carefully. I appreciate your clarification.

As someone else here noted, AppleCare isn't really a place that comes to my mind to call about design flaws. I went to an Apple store, spoke with a manager about the problem, and reasonably complained about Apple's poor response (the holding it wrong response).
post #23 of 202
Quote:

No, Snell probably wasn't quoting literally, as he was probably just trying to get things out quickly without missing anything important. That's why I qualified the quote as having come through Snell. I interpret everything that comes directly from Apple very carefully. I appreciate your clarification.

As someone else here noted, AppleCare isn't really a place that comes to my mind to call about design flaws. I went to an Apple store, spoke with a manager about the problem, and reasonably complained about Apple's poor response (the holding it wrong response).

What I'm amazed at is how no news outlet brought this up during Q&A. How is that not the first followup question? "You talk about AppleCare phone support, but not about in-store customers, do you have a sense of how many people have come to the store to complain?"
post #24 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

He will have to be severely disciplined. Mistress Ballmer, do you have your whip handy?! (Stay tuned to this station - video at 10.)

Ballmer would throw a chair in a sweaty orgy of words.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #25 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

... or that he's not kidding.

My impression was the the story was true, but Steve had to emphatically deny it because of the threat of lawsuits for knowingly shipping a defective product.

What did you expect him to say? "Yeah it's true, but... who cares?"
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
post #26 of 202
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalts View Post

That was a little silly. I'm one of many who had some issues, but knew better than to waste my time on hold. And maybe 99 percent tried calling but the phone dropped while they were on hold.

Here's my parody of both sides of this silly story...

iPhone4G Press Conference parody

Quote:

This kind of comments make me want to go kill myself...

As I said before millions of times...

THERE. IS. NO. ANTENNA. DESIGN. FLAW. SHUT THE FRACK UP AND STOP FUELING THIS GIZMODO DRIVEL.

GODDAMIT man. GODDAMIT...

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

post #27 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailsToo View Post

This is how all of the so-called analysts make their money. Let's run a story that sounds good and will get lots of clicks to our site.

the awesome powers of anonymous source.

These kind of "anonymous source" might work on other companies, but for Apple there is only a handful of people who is really in the knows.
post #28 of 202
Quote:

What I'm amazed at is how no news outlet brought this up during Q&A. How is that not the first followup question? "You talk about AppleCare phone support, but not about in-store customers, do you have a sense of how many people have come to the store to complain?"

From Jason Snell's MacWorld Live blog of the Press Conference:

11:08
Jason Snell: Q about returns at Apple Stores. A: Cook says there were fewer than 3GS.

Check your amazement at the door, clickmyface.
post #29 of 202
Quote:

Andy Hertzfeld had posted stories about Jobs in the 1980s when he was at his managerial worst, and engineers aren't "afraid" of Jobs. He's stubborn, but so are the engineers. And it's the engineers who actually create the thing.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #30 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Well, conspiracy theory time...
The most loyal lieutenants and disciples didn't join Steve on the stage....

What are you talking about?

Tim Cook is probably tops in that category and he was sitting right beside Jobs.
post #31 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

What are you talking about?

Tim Cook is probably tops in that category and he was sitting right beside Jobs.

I was talking about my conspiracy theory. Period.

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #32 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by blursd View Post

You mean the New York Times MAKES the news it doesn't REPORT the news ...? Well I for one am shocked beyond words.

(for the sarcastically challenged ... read between the lines)

the ny times said: "dewey wins" "dewey wins"

for the uninitiated, he was running against truman
post #33 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Look, the media as a whole (including FOX, CNN, Etc) have stopped reporting fact. (

The New York Times just makes stuff up. That we can rely on.

What a friggin rag. Why would anybody ever read a newspaper that just makes stuff up?
post #34 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

My impression was the the story was true, but Steve had to emphatically deny it because of the threat of lawsuits for knowingly shipping a defective product.

What did you expect him to say? "Yeah it's true, but... who cares?"

Yeah, the only way we're gonna find out whether this story was true is if the lawsuit filed a few weeks ago gains class action status, and then subsequently goes to trial. You can bet that Ruben Caballero and Steve Jobs will be deposed multiple times, and will probably be subpoenaed to testify at trial. Discovery requests will also demand all internal correspondence dealing with the i4 antenna design.

Of course, the likeliness of that suit going to trial is very small. If it gains class action status, AAPL will settle out of court, every iPhone 4 owner will get a $30 check in the mail, and the attorneys for the plaintiffs will walk away with new Ferraris and huge bonuses from their law firms.
post #35 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

THERE. IS. NO. ANTENNA. DESIGN. FLAW. SHUT THE FRACK UP AND STOP FUELING THIS GIZMODO DRIVEL.

+1 What he said...
post #36 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

I feel your pain.

Sadly, most people are idiots. Using a standard Stanford-Binet IQ test measure, only one half of one percent of the population can really be considered "smart," and even smart people can fool themselves.

The good news is that now we know the facts, we can identify the absolutely batshit insane types by whether they still stick to the conspiracy issues in spite of the facts. You now have to believe that not only is there a problem, there is a conspiracy to lie about it and cover it up by Apple, because ... you know, that makes more sense than the idea that they might want to produce good, working products to sell.
post #37 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

+1 What he said...

+1 again

If you don't like the way your phone performs RETURN IT!!!
post #38 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulpesRex View Post

... Of course, the likeliness of that suit going to trial is very small. If it gains class action status, AAPL will settle out of court, every iPhone 4 owner will get a $30 check in the mail, and the attorneys for the plaintiffs will walk away with new Ferraris and huge bonuses from their law firms.

It will never go to trial.

For a class action suit like this to be approved, they have to prove a flaw in the product and they have to accept any reasonable "fix" the company provides. It's not carte blanche to suck money out of the company. It also has to be the case that you are "stuck" with the product (it's late in the cycle and it can't be returned).

With this press conference alone, Apple seems to have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that:

- there is no flaw (relative to other phones)
- iPhone 4 actually has better reception than any other phone.
- anyone that doesn't like it can bring it back for a full refund
- they will give out a free "fix" (case) to anyone that asks

They even got the other case manufacturers onboard so the "suffering" have a choice of cases, and got the carriers to promise not to screw people over the contract or charge fees for the change.

No judge in their right mind will let the class action suit even begin to move forward.

It's over.
post #39 of 202
Quote:

They said that returns to the Apple Store were so minimal they were almost non measurable. If people were that upset about the antenna issue they could have returned it.
post #40 of 202
Quote:

Sure, they may have seen and registered the issue but they made a calculated risk to release the phone to give it a bigger battery and keep the aesthetics intact. I suspect the next iteration will include a coating on the antenna as long as it looks good and is cheaper than a bumper.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Jobs calls Bloomberg story 'total bull,' says NYT 'making things up'