or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple posts videos of press conference, antenna performance, test chambers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple posts videos of press conference, antenna performance, test chambers - Page 2

post #41 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsak View Post

Your still in denial?? After Apple even admitted it? Come on now, multiple reviews have tested it an confirmed it. Many people I know have experienced the problem.

The fact is that Apple had a design constraint, the thinness, and had to engineer around that, resulting in risky antenna placement. Reports show that experts at Apple were very opposed to the idea, any other company would of ditched it and made the phone thicker. Steve took the risk, and now the phone is thinner.

This "flaw" is on every iphone, but depending on how you use it, you may notice it or not. People who value close to 100% reliability on their phones were disappointed by the service, and felt misled. Apple has corrected the issue by offering free returns.

However I'm willing to bet more people would just prefer the phone being thinner than having a dropped call here an then, who cares right. Well the iPhone is just not for business purposes, and other things that demand reliability out of a phone. One phone can't suit all, but for the vast majority who could care less about the occasional dropped call the iPhone's form factor is the best on the market right now.

My friends who use iPhone believe dropped calls are a "Fact of life" for all phones, and are fine with their iPhone 4 with a bumper. However I never, ever have dropped calls on Verizon, even the occasional dropped call on the iPhone 4 is simply a deal breaker for people like me, and I am disappointed that I'll have to buy something else. Realize that different people might have different needs than you do.

Trolls still out in force I see.
post #42 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Wait a second. "People who still think something is going on here"? There are people with a genuine issue with their phone. The free case is Apple's solution. The issue has been documented numerous times with video so people can see for themselves what's happening...

No.

The "problem" has always been that people are making a big deal out of something that is no different from any other phone. The "problem" is primarily one of perception and feeling.

The solution that Apple has suggested (and stuck to!), is that you should be careful how you hold your phone when you are in a low signal area.

The cases are only to mollify people who live in a poor signal area, still want to have an iPhone 4, and refuse to hold it any other way than the way they currently like to hold it. They are a fix for the perception/entitlement problem and partially due to the law suit, they aren't a fix for the antenna problem because there isn't an antenna "problem."

All antennas behave in the same way, therefore it's incorrect to call it an antenna problem or say that the iPHone 4 has a problematic antenna. It's just an antenna, pretty much like any other.
post #43 of 284
I would have tought that with these spaced-out futuristic state of the art labs, Apple would have got something better than a rubber band to hold the iPhone for testing.
\
post #44 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

No.

The "problem" has always been that people are making a big deal out of something that is no different from any other phone. The "problem" is primarily one of perception and feeling.

No different then any other phone. Oh, you mean Apple's spinning claim. Lol. Tell me how many phones you know lose over 20 decibels of reception from just touching one small spot with a fingertip ? And this spot is in a place many people naturally hold a phone.
post #45 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

No different then any other phone. Oh, you mean Apple's spinning claim. Lol. Tell me how many phones you know lose over 20 decibels of reception from just touching one small spot with a fingertip ? And this spot is in a place many people naturally hold a phone.

Try to stick to the facts while you are spinning your conspiracy theory at least. the 20db figure that Consumer Reports came out with was debunked a long time ago. It's more like 6db-13db and yes, every phone does it.
post #46 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Try to stick to the facts while you are spinning your conspiracy theory at least. the 20db figure that Consumer Reports came out with was debunked a long time ago. It's more like 6db-13db and yes, every phone does it.

Uhh, the 20db loss was also from AnandTech's tests too. Where those debunked also ?
post #47 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

All antennas behave in the same way, therefore it's incorrect to call it an antenna problem or say that the iPHone 4 has a problematic antenna. It's just an antenna, pretty much like any other.

You have got to be kidding . . . that's one of the dumbest things I've ever read here, and I've read plenty of them.

Your devotion to Apple has clearly gotten the better of you, especially if you believe what you wrote.
post #48 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Try to stick to the facts while you are spinning your conspiracy theory at least. the 20db figure that Consumer Reports came out with was debunked a long time ago. It's more like 6db-13db and yes, every phone does it.

Source?
post #49 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

No.

The "problem" has always been that people are making a big deal out of something that is no different from any other phone. The "problem" is primarily one of perception and feeling.

The solution that Apple has suggested (and stuck to!), is that you should be careful how you hold your phone when you are in a low signal area.

The cases are only to mollify people who live in a poor signal area, still want to have an iPhone 4, and refuse to hold it any other way than the way they currently like to hold it. They are a fix for the perception/entitlement problem and partially due to the law suit, they aren't a fix for the antenna problem because there isn't an antenna "problem."

All antennas behave in the same way, therefore it's incorrect to call it an antenna problem or say that the iPHone 4 has a problematic antenna. It's just an antenna, pretty much like any other.

Your whole point is based off whether other phones suffer from the same issue though, and I can tell you, I never even knew this sort of thing happened until it was brought to light by how aggressive the issue is on the new iPhone.

After reading them say it happens on all phones, I did confirm that when I wrap my hands around my friend's touch pro and squeeze, the bars go down, but it was never as exaggerated as what has been shown in the videos posted by people w an ip4. I'm talking one bar in difference (but noticeably repeatable.)

I don't own the phones he mentions, so I can't comment on the validity of the statement, but it's a little odd that if those phones also had this issue that I didn't hear about it at all before ip4 (and I do frequent a couple of the most popular PPC websites on the internet.)

So again, you're going too far to one side of this argument instead of keeping a rational stance. I'm willing to accept the issue may be present in "all phones" but definitely not to the degree described here.

The whole argument can be wrapped up in a single sentence: If you have this issue and a case isn't good enough, return it before 30 days, otherwise you can't complain because it's now known Apple won't replace it, or change the way it's made.
post #50 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

Uhh, the 20db loss was also from AnandTech's tests too. Where those debunked also ?

Oh, and yet another reliable source showing the massive data speed losses.

http://www.antennasys.com/antennasys...athinator.html
post #51 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

4. Consumer Reports said that the iPhone 4 was the best phone out there except for the alleged reception problems and they couldn't recommend it unless Apple offered a free solution. Apple has done so - where is your recommendation, CR? So much for 'fair and unbiased"


Really? Really? Because CR hasn't issued a recommendation for the iPhone 4, what, less then half an hour after the news conference ended? C'mon, you've got to admit that was a major stretch.
post #52 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Really? Really? Because CR hasn't issued a recommendation for the iPhone 4, what, less then half an hour after the news conference ended? C'mon, you've got to admit that was a major stretch.

He won't admit it. He's genuinely concerned about the issue to the point where things like this don't process the same.

It's all good, we all do it in some form or another. Whether it comes to politics, girls, religion, buying a house, you name it. People will always allow their thoughts to lean towards the direction that makes them feel better.

I almost bought a house with a cracked foundation. I kept telling myself it would be worth it to pay and have it fixed, but in the end, my Dad needed to step in and show me how silly I sounded.
post #53 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Try to stick to the facts while you are spinning your conspiracy theory at least. the 20db figure that Consumer Reports came out with was debunked a long time ago. It's more like 6db-13db and yes, every phone does it.

Out of curiosity I just checked my old Nokia non-smart phone from 4 years ago, and it goes from 4 bars to 2 bars instantly. Neat. 4 years and I never noticed, because I don't hold my phone completely around the edges.
post #54 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Really? Really? Because CR hasn't issued a recommendation for the iPhone 4, what, less then half an hour after the news conference ended? C'mon, you've got to admit that was a major stretch.

It might be unreasonable to expect a response so quickly - except that they were so quick to post their attacks on Apple. If they can post their negative stuff in a matter of minutes, they should expect to post their retractions at least as fast.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #55 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It might be unreasonable to expect a response so quickly - except that they were so quick to post their attacks on Apple. If they can post their negative stuff in a matter of minutes, they should expect to post their retractions at least as fast.

LOL. It took them weeks to attack Apple, not minutes. Try again. lol
post #56 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It might be unreasonable to expect a response so quickly - except that they were so quick to post their attacks on Apple. If they can post their negative stuff in a matter of minutes, they should expect to post their retractions at least as fast.

The consumer reports article came out July 12, 2010. The iPhone4 came out June 24, 2010.

I could probably post your own comments and get you to argue with yourself you know... You want them to be just as "quick" as before, but also they're being too slow.
post #57 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Out of curiosity I just checked my old Nokia non-smart phone from 4 years ago, and it goes from 4 bars to 2 bars instantly. Neat. 4 years and I never noticed, because I don't hold my phone completely around the edges.

I can confirm if the touch pro 2 does it, it's not enough to make the bars change at all.
post #58 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Apple, you're out of your minds after having worked your butts off! Speak about your products. Only yours!

I disagree. Jobs clearly showed the problem exists and that it exists for all smartphones. He then gave a demonstration to show this.

This whole thing has been blown so far out of proportion that it's ridiculous.
post #59 of 284
1 and 2. You didn't have the data before today to back up your claims either. And yet you continued to defend the iPhone 4 with information that you did not have.

3. There is a problem. Jobs admitted as much. It is just endemic to all smart phones. That is where the bumper comes in, as this seems to alleviate some of the problem.

4. The press conference was only a few hours ago. You gave Apple 22 days. Do you want to give CR a little time to respond before you start your attack?

5. There was exaggeration, and it is easy to get clicks if you put "Apple" in your headline. The biggest issue (as Jobs said) was that people in low/weak signal areas are much more likely to notice the problem. As I have said before, Apple needs to move to another carrier besides just AT&T. There is some evidence that they are testing with Verizon equipment on the Cupertino campus. The sooner that happens, the better.




Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

First!

Now, we can recap what we've learned from this:

1. All the analysts who chimed in on this don't know anything and can safely be ignored in the future.

2. In spite of hard data that the iPhone 4 is a great phone, the press managed to blow this up into a huge fiasco. Beware of sensationalistic junk you read in the press.

3. In spite of significant data that there's no problem, Apple once again stepped up with an extra to try to make customers happy. And then got criticized by the whiners...

4. Consumer Reports said that the iPhone 4 was the best phone out there except for the alleged reception problems and they couldn't recommend it unless Apple offered a free solution. Apple has done so - where is your recommendation, CR? So much for 'fair and unbiased"

5. All the reports of 'massive' 'universal' problems were grossly exaggerated. Do not believe that kind of hype.
post #60 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

After reading them say it happens on all phones, I did confirm that when I wrap my hands around my friend's touch pro and squeeze, the bars go down, but it was never as exaggerated as what has been shown in the videos posted by people w an ip4. I'm talking one bar in difference (but noticeably repeatable.)

All right, now try it with the updated bars in the iPhone 4. What you'll see is that the bars drop a lot less. Why? Because THE BARS WERE SCREWED UP and didn't show what was really happening. The software fix in the 4.0.1 update "tuned" the bars so the actually show what is really happening.
post #61 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Looks like the boys have a lot of fun with those facilities.

All we consumers need for our own testing is to have Field Test Mode restored in the next iOS 4 update.

Just because you can't find it doesn't mean it's not there...
post #62 of 284
Please quit calling people names who disagree with you. It is getting tiresome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Funny - you have the nerve to say that I am in denial - when you completely ignored all the facts that have been presented.

No one says that it's perfect - Jobs even admitted that. But all your insane allegations are just more of the same old FUD.

If you actually have an iPhone (which I doubt), return it and get your money back and spare us any more of your whining. Please.
post #63 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

No.

The "problem" has always been that people are making a big deal out of something that is no different from any other phone. The "problem" is primarily one of perception and feeling.

The solution that Apple has suggested (and stuck to!), is that you should be careful how you hold your phone when you are in a low signal area.

The cases are only to mollify people who live in a poor signal area, still want to have an iPhone 4, and refuse to hold it any other way than the way they currently like to hold it. They are a fix for the perception/entitlement problem and partially due to the law suit, they aren't a fix for the antenna problem because there isn't an antenna "problem."

All antennas behave in the same way, therefore it's incorrect to call it an antenna problem or say that the iPHone 4 has a problematic antenna. It's just an antenna, pretty much like any other.

Ah! Reason. Your logic is like a breath of fresh air in a cesspool of apple bashers. Illigitumus non corborundum.
go with the flow
Reply
go with the flow
Reply
post #64 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

All right, now try it with the updated bars in the iPhone 4. What you'll see is that the bars drop a lot less. Why? Because THE BARS WERE SCREWED UP and didn't show what was really happening. The software fix in the 4.0.1 update "tuned" the bars so the actually show what is really happening.

A signal drop of -20db would be shown as more than a single bar dropping.

BTW, that whole "the bars were screwed up" thing should be concerning as well. Apple said they knew their devices were giving people the wrong reading? It's odd they didn't just fix it long ago. Oh well. I guess they figured the screw up worked in their favor up until now or something.
post #65 of 284
No they were not "so quick to post their attacks on Apple." Do you have the facts or do you just make stuff up? They didn't post their do not buy recommendation until Monday - over 2 weeks after the iPhone 4 came out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It might be unreasonable to expect a response so quickly - except that they were so quick to post their attacks on Apple. If they can post their negative stuff in a matter of minutes, they should expect to post their retractions at least as fast.
post #66 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Please quit calling people names who disagree with you. It is getting tiresome.

Where did I call anyone a name in that post? I simply said that the person I was responding to was spreading FUD. Which was true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadash View Post

1 and 2. You didn't have the data before today to back up your claims either. And yet you continued to defend the iPhone 4 with information that you did not have.

3. There is a problem. Jobs admitted as much. It is just endemic to all smart phones. That is where the bumper comes in, as this seems to alleviate some of the problem.

4. The press conference was only a few hours ago. You gave Apple 22 days. Do you want to give CR a little time to respond before you start your attack?

5. There was exaggeration, and it is easy to get clicks if you put "Apple" in your headline. The biggest issue (as Jobs said) was that people in low/weak signal areas are much more likely to notice the problem. As I have said before, Apple needs to move to another carrier besides just AT&T. There is some evidence that they are testing with Verizon equipment on the Cupertino campus. The sooner that happens, the better.

1 & 2. The difference is that I never claimed that I had the data. I simply asked the people who were imagining things to stop making things up.

3. My car doesn't fly. I guess that's a problem. My refrigerator doesn't do my laundry. That's a problem, too.

When the iPhone doesn't do anything any worse than other phones on the market, calling is a problem is misleading - at best.

4. CR was very quick to post their blog. While they did post the positive review earlier, they posted the blog within a very short time of their being notified of the 'problem'. Let's see if they fix it.

5. That's the point. There were a few problems (about 1/2% of users called Apple and 1.7% returned their phones - with no idea how many are in both groups). Yet the media (and all the trolls here) made it into the biggest news since Moses split the Red Sea. I suspect that that one was an 'exaggeration', too.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #67 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

No, Apple is giving out free cases because you see, a case would keep your skin off the two pieces of metal, which when bridged, causes the connection to deteriorate. It's those stubborn rules of physics.

Well, wake up, genius. This. Is. Not. An. Issue. Everyfrigginphoneoutthereintheopenhasit.

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply
post #68 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

Spin control - Jobs is good at it. He said nothing that anyone hadn't already known, except to deny any prior knowledge of the problem, and promised nothing other than they were going to continue working to make the antenna issue less of an issue - and you get a free case (sorry, we can't take a hit on our bumper gross margins), so you get a nifty 50 cent case for your trouble.

They are obviously working on version 2 of the iP4, and I will wait until there is a hint of when it will arrive, because I got tired of dropping downloads all the time, which didn't happen in my 3G - ever. Yes, you infantile posters may label me a whiner, but I haven't had that argument since I was in 6th grade, so save your breath. I own a large amount of Apple stock, so it doesn me no good to continue to look on Jobs with a bit of skepticism, but he is, after all, a master, and you have to tip your cap to him, even if you can read between the lines just fine.

So if what you're doing isn't whining, what is it? Whatever it is I'm reeeeeally tired of hearing it.

How about just putting up or shutting up? Get your free bumper or case, return your iPhone 4 for a refund, and/or sell your stock. Simple.

Daniel Swanson

Reply

Daniel Swanson

Reply
post #69 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsak View Post

Your still in denial?? After Apple even admitted it? Come on now, multiple reviews have tested it an confirmed it. Many people I know have experienced the problem.

The fact is that Apple had a design constraint, the thinness, and had to engineer around that, resulting in risky antenna placement. Reports show that experts at Apple were very opposed to the idea, any other company would of ditched it and made the phone thicker. Steve took the risk, and now the phone is thinner.

This "flaw" is on every iphone, but depending on how you use it, you may notice it or not. People who value close to 100% reliability on their phones were disappointed by the service, and felt misled. Apple has corrected the issue by offering free returns.

However I'm willing to bet more people would just prefer the phone being thinner than having a dropped call here an then, who cares right. Well the iPhone is just not for business purposes, and other things that demand reliability out of a phone. One phone can't suit all, but for the vast majority who could care less about the occasional dropped call the iPhone's form factor is the best on the market right now.

My friends who use iPhone believe dropped calls are a "Fact of life" for all phones, and are fine with their iPhone 4 with a bumper. However I never, ever have dropped calls on Verizon, even the occasional dropped call on the iPhone 4 is simply a deal breaker for people like me, and I am disappointed that I'll have to buy something else. Realize that different people might have different needs than you do.

So just buy something different and go away! We'll certainly thank you for that!

Daniel Swanson

Reply

Daniel Swanson

Reply
post #70 of 284
Nice to know given that Apple just announced that there Is No Software Fix For The iPhone4 Reception Issue - PERIOD!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/a...ue/1#c29336714
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #71 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Apple is giving away free cases because nothing is wrong.


Right.

Go back and watch the event video. Get your facts straight and your erroneous convictions under control. Steve said that the iPhone4 has weak spots just like other smartphones. One partial solutions for those who experience problems is to use a case to insulate the antenna from hands.

Daniel Swanson

Reply

Daniel Swanson

Reply
post #72 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

4. CR was very quick to post their blog. While they did post the positive review earlier, they posted the blog within a very short time of their being notified of the 'problem'. Let's see if they fix it.

It took them almost 3 weeks to post their blog against recommending the iPhone. So that is quick to you ? LOL. Anyway, CR updated their blog, and they are still not recommending the iPhone. So what are you going to whine about now ?

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ele...s-ratings.html
post #73 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

It took them almost 3 weeks to post their blog against recommending the iPhone. So that is quick to you ? LOL. Anyway, CR updated their blog, and they are still not recommending the iPhone. So what are you going to whine about now ?

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ele...s-ratings.html

So, ignoring the timing issue (they actually took a lot less than 3 weeks from the time they were notified of the issue to posting their blog), we now have proof of their hypocrisy.

They post a big loud report about how the phone can't be recommended SOLELY BECAUSE OF THE RECEPTION ISSUES and said that until Apple gave a free fix, they could not recommend it.

Apple is now offering a free fix and they post a new blog (so obviously, they have had plenty of time to evaluate it - and your timing arguments are meaningless) saying that they still can't recommend it because they don't know what will happen at some time in the future.

ANYONE WHO BUYS AN IPHONE TODAY GETS A FREE FIX. Yet CR is not recommending it - even though they previously said they would.

So much for fair, unbiased reporting. Bunch of hypocrites.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #74 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I can confirm if the touch pro 2 does it, it's not enough to make the bars change at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

All right, now try it with the updated bars in the iPhone 4. What you'll see is that the bars drop a lot less. Why? Because THE BARS WERE SCREWED UP and didn't show what was really happening. The software fix in the 4.0.1 update "tuned" the bars so the actually show what is really happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Out of curiosity I just checked my old Nokia non-smart phone from 4 years ago, and it goes from 4 bars to 2 bars instantly. Neat. 4 years and I never noticed, because I don't hold my phone completely around the edges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

Uhh, the 20db loss was also from AnandTech's tests too. Where those debunked also ?

It's fairly simple to understand what Apple is trying to say. When you hold a phone a specific way, the signal can drop. This is consistent with almost all the testing we've seen. The only reason why the iPhone 4's antenna is getting so much flak is because Apple made a huge mistake.

They tried to tell people their antenna was more awesome.

That was a mistake because all antenna's suffer from signal attenuation under specific circumstances. If you tell people something is awesome, they wont just take your word for it. A lot of people were expecting better antenna performance. No matter how well the phone is designed, some people are going to have signal issues. Basically, Apple made a stupid claim they could never back up.

For some people the antenna performance improved...

For some people it was unchanged...

...and for some it was drastically reduced. Those people got pissed off. They got more pissed off because they were told the antenna was supposed to be better.

Until I heard about this whole death grip thing I never noticed that the signal on my 3GS drops drastically when I hold it outside the case. It just so happens the way I hold it is just like in the picture on Apple's new webpage. I'm holding it in a specific way that causes signal loss.

The only way I never noticed it before was because I never thought about it. I've had dropped calls on my 3GS. Probably some due to this issue but I never would have thought that it was because I was holding it wrong. Also I have a case which reduces the problem drastically.

Of course testing shows the iPhone 4 dropping more signal than other phones, because it had more signal to begin with. Anandtech testing shows this a little. The more exposed the antenna is, the more signal gain. Apple designed the new antenna to work this way. The tests show that too. Adding a case also drops the signal gain on any phone. However, adding a case also helps with attenuation because it insulates the antenna more. Phones without exposed antennas have a little less attenuation in some cases. Call it a design quirk or a flaw...

iPhone 4's have more signal gain, at the cost of being more susceptible to attenuation.
Thats it.

So I learned something today... I learned that holding any phone wrong can mess with the signal. I also learned that its a good idea to use a case on my iPhone because I happen to hold it differently. I also learned that its stupid to tell people that something is awesome unless I can really be 100% sure that it is (especially if its an antenna).
post #75 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

They post a big loud report about how the phone can't be recommended SOLELY BECAUSE OF THE RECEPTION ISSUES and said that until Apple gave a free fix, they could not recommend it.

Apple is now offering a free fix and they post a new blog (so obviously, they have had plenty of time to evaluate it - and your timing arguments are meaningless) saying that they still can't recommend it because they don't know what will happen at some time in the future.

ANYONE WHO BUYS AN IPHONE TODAY GETS A FREE FIX. Yet CR is not recommending it - even though they previously said they would.

So much for fair, unbiased reporting. Bunch of hypocrites.

Yes, solely because of reception issues. Uhhh, this isn't a fancy broken feature. This is the main purpose of a phone. Anyway, did you not read the article and the reason why they still do not recommend it ? It's because Apple only promised a free fix till the end of Sept. This is not a long term free fix. That is the issue.
post #76 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The conference if far from a slam dunk because the only press Apple is getting on the iPhone at this point is negative press. I am very good with logic.

"Very good" with logic, huh? Well try these facts on:

Steve Jobs is the co-founder of Apple, Inc. That was about thirty-five years ago. He even came back to Apple after being fired. That's staying power, determination, sincerity, honesty, stick-to-itiveness, etc. That's rare in the world--especially amongst top-management strata.

Since Steve's return, Apple's important statistics are on the rise. How many other major corporations in this day and age can boast of such? This is no easy feat, obviously, but these facts must be considered at least alongside if not in clear priority over any negative gossip or any controversies fomented by the competition and/or running dog press.

Anyone who "believes the press" or tries to use what appears there as any valid information in an argument is a damn fool.

Daniel Swanson

Reply

Daniel Swanson

Reply
post #77 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

Yes, solely because of reception issues. Uhhh, this is a fancy broken feature. This is the main purpose of a phone. Anyway, did you need read the article and the reason why they still do not recommend it ? It's because Apple only promised a free fix till the end of Sept. This is not a long term free fix. That is the issue.

That's BS.

First, Apple is offering a free fix TODAY. Why aren't they recommending it today?

Second, Apple said that they will evaluate what to do after September, so CR doesn't have any way of knowing whether customers will get a free bumper after September. So CR is penalizing Apple because they want to assume that Apple will stop doing something in September.

Finally, CR refused to respond to Apple's statement that all phones have similar problems.

CR is clearly being hypocritical here.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #78 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYOSAEBAXYZ View Post

How about we all take 2 min of our time and call APPLECARE and tell them how bad the Antenna is ... just so that their know the real number of unsatisfied people..

what do you say ? shall we all do it throughout the world ?

If my iPhone 4 actually gave me any trouble, i would call. Knock yourself out.
post #79 of 284
darn, Apple forgot to also post a video of the iPhone 4 WITH a bumper, to compare how much of a signal drop there is compared to the naked one when held tightly. they said it is better, but show us!
post #80 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

Yes, solely because of reception issues. Uhhh, this is a fancy broken feature. This is the main purpose of a phone. Anyway, did you not read the article and the reason why they still do not recommend it ? It's because Apple only promised a free fix till the end of Sept. This is not a long term free fix. That is the issue.

It's not a broken feature. You're lying.

Most iPhone 4s work great with or without a case. Get your free bumper and see if your problems persist. If they do and your iPhone 4 doesn't perform enough like a phone for you, then return it for a full refund, and be on your merry way.

Very simple.

Daniel Swanson

Reply

Daniel Swanson

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple posts videos of press conference, antenna performance, test chambers
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple posts videos of press conference, antenna performance, test chambers