or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple posts videos of press conference, antenna performance, test chambers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple posts videos of press conference, antenna performance, test chambers - Page 3

post #81 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's BS.

First, Apple is offering a free fix TODAY. Why aren't they recommending it today?

Second, Apple said that they will evaluate what to do after September, so CR doesn't have any way of knowing whether customers will get a free bumper after September. So CR is penalizing Apple because they want to assume that Apple will stop doing something in September.

Finally, CR refused to respond to Apple's statement that all phones have similar problems.

CR is clearly being hypocritical here.

1. Because the free fix has not been stated by Apple it will be free long term. Only till the end of Sep.

2. Since it's up in the air if Apple will still provide a free fix after Sep, then how is that different then yesterday when we didn't know if Apple will provide a free fix? Apple should stand behind their customers and offer the free fix for as long as they sell the flawed product. At this point we don't know. Just like yesterday.

3. No reason to respond to Apple's spinning statement. Their own tests proved other tested phones do not have the issue to the degree of the iPhone 4.
post #82 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYOSAEBAXYZ View Post

Hello People Out there,

I'm usually part of those who keep their mouths shut when it's not necessary to open it ; but watching the bull that just delivred to us Steve Jobs (whom I admire otherwise) led me to think that we should all participate to something that may make him go 360 on what he said :
How about we all take 2 min of our time and call APPLECARE and tell them how bad the Antenna is ... just so that their know the real number of unsatisfied people..

what do you say ? shall we all do it throughout the world ?

How about YOU practicing what you preach and calling Apple Care and quit hiding behind this mob mentality attack on a good company. Or maybe you don't even own a phone and are just a cheap shill making a few bucks to try to foment this fabricated controversy.

Daniel Swanson

Reply

Daniel Swanson

Reply
post #83 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Well, wake up, genius. This. Is. Not. An. Issue. Everyfrigginphoneoutthereintheopenhasit.

It's not an issue for you, it's not an issue for me, but somewhere out there it's a very real issue for someone, and they aren't delusional.

All cell phones suffer from this "issue" (sorry, nothing else to call it) to some degree, fine. We all get that. That doesn't erase the fact that THIS phone's signal degradation has been shown to be worse than average. What sets this phone apart is it's external antenna.



Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Go back and watch the event video. Get your facts straight and your erroneous convictions under control. Steve said that the iPhone4 has weak spots just like other smartphones. One partial solutions for those who experience problems is to use a case to insulate the antenna from hands.

insulate the antenna from hands. The antenna wrapped around the outside of the phone, exactly.

Every phone may suffer from this to some degree, but the iphone4 has been proven to suffer from it pretty badly numerous times. If your phone doesn't do it, awesome, I'm glad for you, but that doesn't change what others are seeing.

I'm not attacking Apple for giving out free cases as a "solution" for some people. In fact, I said it's a fairly neutral solution, neither to be celebrated or hated. I'm simply saying Apple knows what's up, and giving out free cases to their users proves it.

What was it, like 16,500 people have reported problems? Those people exist you know... This isn't all made up nonsense. Tests from numerous websites have proven that.

If you read a few of my posts, I've pointed out how there's two extremes in this argument, and the most rational position is right in the middle.
post #84 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

It's not a broken feature. You're lying.

I mispoke. I was trying to make fun of a previous post that disagreed how CR was not recommending the iPhone solely because of reception issues. I meant to say " this isn't a fancy broken feature", because reception is the main part of a phone, not some simple fancy feature that can be overlooked. And yes the reception is flawed and broken if you touch the seam when you have less then optimal signal. Yes, the bumper fixes the flawed design.
post #85 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBLACK View Post

It's fairly simple to understand what Apple is trying to say. When you hold a phone a specific way, the signal can drop. This is consistent with almost all the testing we've seen. The only reason why the iPhone 4's antenna is getting so much flak is because Apple made a huge mistake.

They tried to tell people their antenna was more awesome.

That was a mistake because all antenna's suffer from signal attenuation under specific circumstances. If you tell people something is awesome, they wont just take your word for it. A lot of people were expecting better antenna performance. No matter how well the phone is designed, some people are going to have signal issues. Basically, Apple made a stupid claim they could never back up.

For some people the antenna performance improved...

For some people it was unchanged...

...and for some it was drastically reduced. Those people got pissed off. They got more pissed off because they were told the antenna was supposed to be better.

Until I heard about this whole death grip thing I never noticed that the signal on my 3GS drops drastically when I hold it outside the case. It just so happens the way I hold it is just like in the picture on Apple's new webpage. I'm holding it in a specific way that causes signal loss.

The only way I never noticed it before was because I never thought about it. I've had dropped calls on my 3GS. Probably some due to this issue but I never would have thought that it was because I was holding it wrong. Also I have a case which reduces the problem drastically.

Of course testing shows the iPhone 4 dropping more signal than other phones, because it had more signal to begin with. Anandtech testing shows this a little. The more exposed the antenna is, the more signal gain. Apple designed the new antenna to work this way. The tests show that too. Adding a case also drops the signal gain on any phone. However, adding a case also helps with attenuation because it insulates the antenna more. Phones without exposed antennas have a little less attenuation in some cases. Call it a design quirk or a flaw...

iPhone 4's have more signal gain, at the cost of being more susceptible to attenuation.
Thats it.

So I learned something today... I learned that holding any phone wrong can mess with the signal. I also learned that its a good idea to use a case on my iPhone because I happen to hold it differently. I also learned that its stupid to tell people that something is awesome unless I can really be 100% sure that it is (especially if its an antenna).

Thanks man. This is one of the most rational and well-thought comments here so far.

We need a thumbs up feature at the forums lol
post #86 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's BS.

First, Apple is offering a free fix TODAY. Why aren't they recommending it today?

Second, Apple said that they will evaluate what to do after September, so CR doesn't have any way of knowing whether customers will get a free bumper after September. So CR is penalizing Apple because they want to assume that Apple will stop doing something in September.

Finally, CR refused to respond to Apple's statement that all phones have similar problems.

CR is clearly being hypocritical here.

You've already said they acted "quickly" to not recommend the iphone and claimed they should repeal that just as quickly. Now you're demanding it happen today.

Facepalm doesn't even describe...
post #87 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

You've already said they acted "quickly" to not recommend the iphone and claimed they should repeal that just as quickly. Now you're demanding it happen today.

Facepalm doesn't even describe...

That is, of course, ignoring the fact that they already updated their blog after the press conference - so your 'not enough time has elapsed' argument fails.

What happened is exactly what I predicted - they found some OTHER excuse for not recommending the phone (apparently, they are now into the crystal ball business and won't recommend the phone because Apple might not give bumpers out in the year 2047.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #88 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Apple, you're out of your minds after having worked your butts off! Speak about your products. Only yours!

Bullshit... ALL of those phone makers took cheap shots at the completely blown out of proportion universal issues... That makes them the idiots cause I GUARANTEE YOU their phones have the same problem.. all Apple did was show us..
post #89 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That is, of course, ignoring the fact that they already updated their blog after the press conference - so your 'not enough time has elapsed' argument fails.

What happened is exactly what I predicted - they found some OTHER excuse for not recommending the phone (apparently, they are now into the crystal ball business and won't recommend the phone because Apple might not give bumpers out in the year 2047.

Another strawman argument. I never said not enough time has elapsed. You just keep making crap up as a reason to now attack an outlet that doesn't recommend the device.

You said they were so quick to not recommend it, and they should be just as quick TO recommend it. I showed you the dates of the phone's release as well as when the article was written, and your response is to make up a strawman and attack it?

Quote:
Consumer Reports believes Apple's offer of free cases is a good first step. However, Apple has indicated that this is not a long-term solution, it has guaranteed the offer only through September 30th, and has not extended it unequivocally to customers who bought cases from third-party vendors. We look forward to a long-term fix from Apple. As things currently stand, the iPhone 4 is still not one of our Recommended models.

You're making up more bullshit. 2047? Jeez...
post #90 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

Bullshit... ALL of those phone makers took cheap shots at the completely blown out of proportion universal issues... That makes them the idiots cause I GUARANTEE YOU their phones have the same problem.. all Apple did was show us..

All Apple did was show how a few bars went down when they wrapped their hands completely around a few other phones. It did not show how only a touch of a fingertip would do the same (like the iPhone). That's the issue. And it only showed bars going down. Not showing us real data behind the bars.
post #91 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

1. Because the free fix has not been stated by Apple it will be free long term. Only till the end of Sep.

2. Since it's up in the air if Apple will still provide a free fix after Sep, then how is that different then yesterday when we didn't know if Apple will provide a free fix? Apple should stand behind their customers and offer the free fix for as long as they sell the flawed product. At this point we don't know. Just like yesterday.

3. No reason to respond to Apple's spinning statement. Their own tests proved other tested phones do not have the issue to the degree of the iPhone 4.

Actually their test proved that all other phones drop MORE bars then the iPhone 4.. They have gone out of their way to offer a fix for seemingly something that ISN'T broken.. its just the way it is with signals.

If you honestly consider this a flawed product, then you have to consider EVERY smart phone out their a flawed product and expect them to give away free cases too.

The only reason they are actually doing this is because they know a percentage of people out their are stupid enough to believe everything they hear instead of trying it.. actually testing their iPhone 4 in a week reception area then holding their buddies Blackberry along the back and seeing the exact same results. And whats even more amazing on apple's part is that they are doing this knowing full well that even though only about 1% of 3 million people are ACTUALLY having problem, probably 90%-95% of those people will take a free case.
post #92 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

Actually their test proved that all other phones drop MORE bars then the iPhone 4.. They have gone out of their way to offer a fix for seemingly something that ISN'T broken.. its just the way it is with signals.

If you honestly consider this a flawed product, then you have to consider EVERY smart phone out their a flawed product and expect them to give away free cases too.

The only reason they are actually doing this is because they know a percentage of people out their are stupid enough to believe everything they hear instead of trying it.. actually testing their iPhone 4 in a week reception area then holding their buddies Blackberry along the back and seeing the exact same results. And whats even more amazing on apple's part is that they are doing this knowing full well that even though only about 1% of 3 million people are ACTUALLY having problem, probably 90%-95% of those people will take a free case.

It's more then just bars dropping. It's dropped calls and/or slow data rates when only a small area of the phone is touched. An area that is touched when many people naturally hold the phone. Not tightly wrapping a hand completely around the phone as shown by Apple. Funny how Apple didn't address the real issue. Independent tests have shown the iPhone 4 issue is far worse then other phones tested.
post #93 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

All Apple did was show how a few bars went down when they wrapped their hands completely around a few other phones. It did not show how only a touch of a fingertip would do the same (like the iPhone). That's the issue. And it only showed bars going down. Not showing us real data behind the bars.

so in other words, iPhone 4's week spot is a 1/4" clearly marked line, where as blackberry and HTC'S week spot is the entire bottom back portion of the phone..

And thats all the complaints and YouTube videos have been about too.. is just bars going down..

EVERY phone has there bars go up and down when you hold it in certain ways.. Who cares.. NOBODY until someone put up a video of iPhone's doing it.. no all of a sudden its a huge media blow out as if its an Apple thing which it isn't.. it Simply ISN'T.
post #94 of 284
Videos: death grip on EVO, Droid Incredible, Nexus One, Galaxy 1, G1, etc.




* Samsung I9000 Galaxy S: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LROTHrTR92k

* HTC Evo Signal Attenuation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pj2YBYTbag

* Samsung Galaxy 1:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

* Samsung Galaxy 2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPCQdYtPihg

* Droid Incredible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaDE941PzQk

* Droid Incredible (With Network Extender in Room): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpEQH...eature=related

* Nexus One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEIA_lMwqJA

* Nexus One vs. iPhone (start at 1:29): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvMoV4_C4aA

* Nexus One: http://posterous.com/getfile/files.p...n_-_iPhone.m4v

* Nexus One (after Google's update to correct): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2g5J4qPp54

* Nexus One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deCkjeHYT-g

* Android G1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CDaxhjUs9M

* "Major signal degradation when Nexus One is picked up" (N1 Thread on On this Problem): http://www.google.com/support/forum/...9184c33e&hl=en
post #95 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

so in other words, iPhone 4's week spot is a 1/4" clearly marked line, where as blackberry and HTC'S week spot is the entire bottom back portion of the phone..

And thats all the complaints and YouTube videos have been about too.. is just bars going down..

EVERY phone has there bars go up and down when you hold it in certain ways.. Who cares.. NOBODY until someone put up a video of iPhone's doing it.. no all of a sudden its a huge media blow out as if its an Apple thing which it isn't.. it Simply ISN'T.

Check out the real scientific tests that show how much reception is lost in detail. Not some unknown YouTube videos. Reception is lost by more then 20db when touching the weak spot on the iPhone 4. A lot more then other phones when tested in the same controlled environment. And the weak spots in other phones have to be completely covered. Not just by a fingertip.
post #96 of 284
Look, if you bought a TV that didn't work, you'd take it back and either a). get a new one, or b). get a different brand. You wouldn't post (b*†ch) about it constantly on a forum, rip the TV's executives and bash the entire company! If you have an iPhone 4 that doesn't work for you TAKE IT BACK! If it doesn't meet your precious standards TAKE IT BACK!

Seriously, a lot of people just need to chill and realize it's a phone. Apple is a company who makes great products but are also humans. Deal with it or get out!
post #97 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by storneo View Post

Look, if you bought a TV that didn't work, you'd take it back and either a). get a new one, or b). get a different brand. You wouldn't post (b*†ch) about it constantly on a forum, rip the TV's executives and bash the entire company! If you have an iPhone 4 that doesn't work for you TAKE IT BACK! If it doesn't meet your precious standards TAKE IT BACK!

Seriously, a lot of people just need to chill and realize it's a phone. Apple is a company who makes great products but are also humans. Deal or get out!

So these forums should only be used to praise Apple ? Hmm. This is news to me.
post #98 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Where did I call anyone a name in that post? I simply said that the person I was responding to was spreading FUD. Which was true.

"insane allegations" and "whining" are name calling. Almost every post of yours I have read on this forum have contained versions of name calling. It is getting old. Please stop.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

1 & 2. The difference is that I never claimed that I had the data. I simply asked the people who were imagining things to stop making things up.

You have consistently attacked anyone who dares to question Apple and the iPhone 4. Your 100% assurance that the iPhone 4 detractors are wrong is based on information that you could not possibly have, because you are not Apple or AT&T. Quit acting like Apple is a religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

3. My car doesn't fly. I guess that's a problem. My refrigerator doesn't do my laundry. That's a problem, too.

All smart phones have this problem. Jobs demonstrated that on stage. He said Apple is not perfect and cannot bend the laws of physics. That is not the same as your half-assed sarcasm here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

When the iPhone doesn't do anything any worse than other phones on the market, calling is a problem is misleading - at best.

You're right that it might be misleading. But Apple would not be giving away free bumpers if they did not actually help the problem. And the fact that this extends only to September 30 makes me think that there is a more substantial fix to the problem coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

4. CR was very quick to post their blog. While they did post the positive review earlier, they posted the blog within a very short time of their being notified of the 'problem'. Let's see if they fix it.

Lets see if they fix it is right. It will be interesting to see what they do. But you need to give them more time than a few hours to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

5. That's the point. There were a few problems (about 1/2% of users called Apple and 1.7% returned their phones - with no idea how many are in both groups). Yet the media (and all the trolls here) made it into the biggest news since Moses split the Red Sea. I suspect that that one was an 'exaggeration', too.

Assuming that Apple's numbers are correct (do they take into account 3rd party resellers' returns and customer service complaints, how many were waiting to see what happened before they decided what to do, etc), this was blown out of proportion. That does not negate the fact that there is a real issue and Apple's actions demonstrate that. Jobs said something to the effect that Apple does not have its head in the sand over this issue. The same cannot be said for you and other so-called Apple defenders, who bristle with the mere thought that Apple could do anything wrong. Problems are fixed by taking them head on, not by denying there is a problem and attacking anyone who disagrees, which is what you've been doing for the last 3 weeks.
post #99 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

What was it, like 16,500 people have reported problems? Those people exist you know... This isn't all made up nonsense. Tests from numerous websites have proven that.

yes.. so out of 3 million its 0.55% as steve said. And lets be honest.. of that minute fraction, do you really think all 16,500 are right next to a cell tower? Probably not right. So seriously, out of 3 million people so far How many of them are people who are experience genuine antenna issues.. Not because their are simply in a dead zone or very weak service area, and not because their Phone is simply defective (Which is also something Very possible with any product ever made.. there is gonna be a couple duds).

What maybe 3000-5000 tops?

I think Steve was making a decent point when he said this is just blown WAY out of proportion.

I mean common.. the media was talking about a 100% recall for god sakes..
post #100 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

So these forums should only be used to praise Apple ? Hmm. This is news to me.

No, I'm not saying that. But how much can you beat a dead horse? Apple addressed the issue. Gave a set of solutions. If none of them work for you then return it. Simple!

EDITED: Reading your posts, it seems you are one of the ones who are dead set on trying to make this issue live forever. I have a IP4 that doesn't have the antenna issue. I got mine on July 14th. I can only assume the 1st batch are the ones affected mostly. As new IP4's are made, the issue will be addressed. Apple knows by end of September they will have the issue resolved. I believe that's the reason for the cut-ff date.
post #101 of 284
Actually, I take back everything I said.. iPhone 4 is probably a total dud, and you should all return yours or NOT buy it.. At least until until AFTER I buy my so I don't have to wait in line for 3 weeks

Its kinda funny how apparently ALL these people are having life ending reception problems, yet nobody is returning it, and wait times to buy it is still queued up for 3 weeks, Bumper or not.
post #102 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

I think Steve was making a decent point when he said this is just blown WAY out of proportion.

I mean common.. the media was talking about a 100% recall for god sakes..

Completely agreed. Analysts have been reporting every day how many bajillions this was going to cost Apple in one way or another, without any factual evidence whatsoever as to how many people this issue actually affected. All the while everyone I know with an iPhone 4 is loving it to death, and the only one who's complained about the "death grip" was going to put it in a case anyhow. It seems the only people who haven't been making a fuss about this is actual iPhone 4 users, apart from a handful here and there.
post #103 of 284
I've read alot about the pitfalls of making contact with the exposed antenna on the iPhone 4, but what about the potential of some enterprising individual/company designing a case that could actively BOOST the signal of the exposed antenna.

I could see it now:
  • AT&T gives Free Boost Cases to customers in weak reception areas.
  • Iphone 4 users go wild for the flexability provided by the innovative antenna design.
  • All other phone manufactures say CR@P... Apples done it again, now we have to redesign our antenna system.

Could happen...
post #104 of 284
the chamber looks neat.
post #105 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

Exactly !! So why does Apple even quote those Applecare numbers ? They are meaningless in this scenario. Until we get closer to the end of the 30 day trial period. Many people with the issue were probably just waiting on a response from Apple before their trial ended. Those Applecare numbers are just Apple spin. Let's see the return rates a few weeks from now. Those will be more meaningful.

WTF? Meaningless? How else do you judge an issue with a device if it's not from DIRECT feedback from your customers? I even doubt you are a Apple customer because every time you call in about a case, it's generally followed by emails asking you to rate their experience with your issue.

Apple spin? Dude you are the only one spinning facts against hot head shrills in mass in forums like these.

Did you hear Jobs say that they SENT OUT TEAMS of people to investigate the claims? Or more spin?

I mean dude, you watch too much FOX NEWS apparently, this is not the NO SPIN ZONE.

Apple let throngs of people like you "define" the problem with THEIR device. Clearly they know better than you how to assess issues with their devices. Their entire reputation is at stake. In case you don't realize it, Apple's reputation has been tops of late, to the tune of selling 10 million units of iphone per quarter. What is amazing is the elementary thinking of people here that "think" Apple can just say whatever it wants when it wants and answers to nobody, not it's board of directors, the FCC, the FTC, Wall Street, it's shareholders, it's employees,or it's customers.. I mean grow up. Get real people.

Jobs SCORED today and put the whole blow up BS to rest. If you are so concerned about the product or spin, then please by all means go to a Droid. Verizon has a TWO FOR ONE deal on em right now, and that my friend is a FIRE SALE. Doh!@
post #106 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by storneo View Post

No, I'm not saying that. But how much can you beat a dead horse? Apple addressed the issue. Gave a set of solutions. If none of them work for you then return it. Simple!

EDITED: Reading your posts, it seems you are one of the ones who are dead set on trying to make this issue live forever. I have a IP4 that doesn't have the antenna issue. I got mine on July 14th. I can only assume the 1st batch are the ones affected mostly. As new IP4's are made, the issue will be addressed. Apple knows by end of September they will have the issue resolved. I believe that's the reason for the cut-ff date.

Part of the issue is the spin Apple had on the problem. They made it appear most phones have just as bad of a reception issue. False. They only offered a free fix until the end of Sep. They made no mention of attempting to fix the issue by other means. And btw, it's not just the first batch. If that was the case, Apple would have stated that fact. It's great you don't have the issue. But my theory is that the issue only affects one of the two bands (850 or 1900) AT&T uses. You might be serviced by the unaffected band.
post #107 of 284
I've read so many posts about how "dumb" it is that Apple didn't properly test the IP4. Yet Apple revels videos of how detailed their testing methods are. Did anyone REALLY think they (or any other cell phone maker) doesn't go through a huge R&D phase for such a huge product?
post #108 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Funny - you have the nerve to say that I am in denial - when you completely ignored all the facts that have been presented.

No one says that it's perfect - Jobs even admitted that. But all your insane allegations are just more of the same old FUD.

If you actually have an iPhone (which I doubt), return it and get your money back and spare us any more of your whining. Please.

Well said!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #109 of 284
If it means anything, I can reproduce this issue on both my Palm Pre and wife's Blackberry Tour... they have the same signal strength when laid side by side... I pick them up and hold the Blackberry at the bottom and it does lose bars as does the Pre by holding it towards the bottom right... I can't remember ever dropping a call on my Pre unless I am out in the middle of nowhere where the signal strength is really low or non-existant.

EDIT: We are on Sprint.
post #110 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

Actually, I take back everything I said.. iPhone 4 is probably a total dud, and you should all return yours or NOT buy it.. At least until until AFTER I buy my so I don't have to wait in line for 3 weeks

Its kinda funny how apparently ALL these people are having life ending reception problems, yet nobody is returning it, and wait times to buy it is still queued up for 3 weeks, Bumper or not.

Yep, you hit the nail on the head ... because 90% of the malcontents have no iPhone!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #111 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post

If it means anything, I can reproduce this issue on both my Palm Pre and wife's Blackberry Tour... they have the same signal strength when laid side by side... I pick them up and hold the Blackberry at the bottom and it does lose bars as does the Pre by holding it towards the bottom right... I can't remember ever dropping a call on my Pre unless I am out in the middle of nowhere where the signal strength is really low or non-existant.

exactly.
post #112 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

Jobs SCORED today and put the whole blow up BS to rest.

You are living in an Apple fantasy land if you think Jobs scored today and put this issue to rest. Watch the coming days, weeks and months. It was not put to rest. Sorry you were so blinded by the spin. It was so easy to see. You need to check out independent opinions and tests. Not the manufacturer's. Do you think the FDA should approve all drugs based solely on the manufacturer's biased opinion and limited tests.
post #113 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

Part of the issue is the spin Apple had on the issue. They made it appear most phones have just as bad of a reception issue. False. They only offered a free fix until the end of Sep. They made no mention of attempting to fix the issue by other means.

How did they make it appear that way? Today was the first official statement they made about it! Do you mean the so called "emails" that have been pointed out as being fakes? Do you really believe Jobs would be so careless as to send out an email that would be so crude? Get real!

And do they really have to mention that they are looking into fixing the issue? Read between the lines.
post #114 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

Bullshit... ALL of those phone makers took cheap shots at the completely blown out of proportion universal issues... That makes them the idiots cause I GUARANTEE YOU their phones have the same problem.. all Apple did was show us..

Exactly. What we have witnessed / are witnessing is a mix of mass hysteria and deliberate FUD.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #115 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by storneo View Post

How did they make it appear that way?

Appear what way ? Not sure of your point you are trying to ask.
post #116 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

You have got to be kidding . . . that's one of the dumbest things I've ever read here, and I've read plenty of them.

Your devotion to Apple has clearly gotten the better of you, especially if you believe what you wrote.

So , a logical statement that you just don't agree with is the "dumbest thing" you ever heard here? How can anyone even have a debate when you are going to go off the deep end like that? Hyperbole kills kittens you know.

Fact: iPhone 4 antenna gets better reception than any other smartphone antenna to date.

Fact: all smartphones have the same issue when the antenna is held.

Fact: iPhone 4 drops calls less than any other phone to date

Fact: iPhone 4 is more likely to still be able to make a call in low reception areas than other smartphones

Fact: The iPhone 4 antenna is exactly the way it was designed to be.

The iPhone 4 antenna is no different from any other phone antenna in regards the holding problem. It's just plain logic that if the antenna is operating as designed and performing better than all the other antennas out there, that there is no "fault" in the antenna design.
post #117 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Look at how the whiners have to hold the phone to make it have a problem. Who holds their phone that way except for whiners? The whiner's finger is touching the screen! And he expects to have good reception? Try holding ANY cellphone with a touchscreen like that and see what happens!


You really are gullible aren't you? That is Apple's photo. Of course they are going to use someone with very large hands holding the phone that way to make it look like the user's fault. Good grief.

I don't engulf the phone like that and consistently drop down to no service with a starting point of 3+ bars.

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply
post #118 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

All antennas behave in the same way, therefore it's incorrect to call it an antenna problem or say that the iPHone 4 has a problematic antenna. It's just an antenna, pretty much like any other.

Except it's on the outside of the phone coming into contact with the skin. I really hate fanboys. They are their own worst enemy. They defend Apple even when in the wrong and as a result Apple tries to get away with more and more. Be a fan not a fanboy.

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply
post #119 of 284
  • Apple said they aren’t perfect. That destroys the trolls who think Apple should be.They tested it against other phones with different OSes. But will that be enough for the haters?
  • The mentioned that there is no standard for bars. This is one area I’d like the FCC to be involved. Either make it standard. Or get rid of them altogether, instead list the best connection type.
  • I like that he also stated they may be too liberal with their algorithm
  • I found it funny that he took at a jab at Android OS battery efficiency being shite.
  • I wonder what the return rate is for other phones if the average is above 6% and I (anecdotally) know a lot more people that have hated Palm and Android phones and returned them than people that have returned iPhones. ⅓ the return rates of the 3GS? Really? But I thought everyone was returning them. I wonder where the trolls are today.
  • <1 additional cal per 100. New chips, no case, and huge upsurge in sales saturating AT&T’s network? I would think that number will be fairly lower than the 3GS numbers by the iPhone 5 comes out.
  • I was wrong about them giving away cases in lieu of gift certificates, but since they are also including 3rd-party case makers that satisfied my theory that there would be backlash from case makers if they simply gave away Bumpers and only Bumpers.
  • Reevaluate the free Bumper option in September? Interesting. If this was a “design flaw” they would have offered it up immediately for all iPhone 4s regardless of timeframe. The fact that they have cut off tells me they are doing this for “dramage” control to appease consumers. That’s it. Sure, they are working on a solution to reduce the attenuation to something more in line with (say) the Nexus One’s max 17dB, so long as it’s transparent, but that is what all decent companies do: tweak their products.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

Exactly !! So why does Apple even quote those Applecare numbers ? They are meaningless in this scenario. Until we get closer to the end of the 30 day trial period. Many people with the issue were probably just waiting on a response from Apple before their trial ended. Those Applecare numbers are just Apple spin. Let's see the return rates a few weeks from now. Those will be more meaningful.

They aren’t meaningless. They are what every iPhone 4 user will be calling if they call Apple support. It starts immediately. Furthermore, you can call AppleCare to ask questions or express concerns even if you don’t own an Apple product.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #120 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

Except it's on the outside of the phone coming into contact with the skin. I really hate fanboys. They are their own worst enemy. They defend Apple even when in the wrong and as a result Apple tries to get away with more and more. Be a fan not a fanboy.

1) I guess youve conveniently chosen to ignore the reports that signal strength actually went up when touched at times, that its better than the 3GS or other phones in maintaining a signal, that phones encased in plastic or rubber still have a weak spot, or anything else that debunks your metal on skin is bad statement.

2) Have you noticed that the entire frame of the iPhone 4 is metal, yet its only certain situations in a certain area that is causing the issue. If your metal on skin is bad theory is correct it should cause it to fail touching it anywhere on the antenna.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple posts videos of press conference, antenna performance, test chambers
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple posts videos of press conference, antenna performance, test chambers