or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › RIM, Nokia respond to Apple's "Antennagate" press conference
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RIM, Nokia respond to Apple's "Antennagate" press conference - Page 2

post #41 of 543
Historically, Apple executes very well and when they do fall short, their competitors love to make a big deal out of it. Sometimes I think Apple's own customers need to take a pause and remember that Apple is comprised of human beings with human flaws. They will make mistakes from time to time.

Apple isn't perfect, but I have been far happier with their computers, mp3 players and phones than those made by other companies. If I have ever had an issue, they have always made things right.

RIM and NOKIA make good products, but like it or not some of their phones have the very same flaw. I know that they'd prefer no one point that out, but they do. Apple had no choice but to address this when the very same companies and the media are blowing this all out of proportion and making it sound like an iPhone 4 problem only.

Apple admitted that the iPhone 4 isn't perfect and that they are working hard to rectify the situation. But, in the meantime, here is a free bumper. We understand it is not a fix but a work-around, but it will alleviate the problem for the time being. If you are still unhappy, we'll refund your money.

Personally, I'm cool with that.
post #42 of 543
The iPhone 4 is the only phone that can go from 5 bars to 0 bars with the touch of a single finger at a small part of the case.

Apple is right to be criticized for this obvious design flaw. This is not standard attenuation.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #43 of 543
I have made a petition in behalf of all the mistreated Blackberry customers:
http://www.change.org/petitions/view...d_9700_antenna
post #44 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

The iPhone 4 is the only phone that can go from 5 bars to 0 bars with the touch of a single finger at a small part of the case.

Apple is right to be criticized for this obvious design flaw. This is not standard attenuation.

No doubt. but Nokia has issues of its own--

http://www.electronista.com/articles...to.stop.apple/
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #45 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

No doubt. but Nokia has issues of its own--

http://www.electronista.com/articles...to.stop.apple/

Making brick phones for 20 years. This had to to stop someday.

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply
post #46 of 543
Bottom Line:

Apple Screwed Up By Choosing Aesthetics Over Functionality, They're Attempting To Appease The Masses Until They Can Re-Engineer A Real Solution, and Pointing Out (alleged) Issues With Competing Handsets Doesn't Help..

Note: Rubber Bandages To Cover Up The Flaw Is Not A Real Solution -
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #47 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

No doubt. but Nokia has issues of its own--

http://www.electronista.com/articles...to.stop.apple/

... That have nothing to do with the iPhone's design flaw.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #48 of 543
This is all too funny. Apple's antenna design has inadvertently shown a problem with all cell phones that most people were unaware of, and so the other guys are all like "WHADAYA DOIN THAT FOOOR?"
post #49 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

What evidence do you have that iPhone db drop is higher than norm?

None. You are merely an irrational koolade drinking hater.

Why is this the automatic assumption to anything not "pro-apple" here? I'm assuming you missed the anandtech review EVERYONE else on this forum saw

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/t...one-4-review/2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

The RIM phone is released to the public so therefore it's game. I saw the phone being held normally and the bars go down to one. That's all there is to it.

But a major topic was the effect on data, voice quality, etc. They didn't touch on that. If you're happy with a slight glazing over of the issue, that's you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestival View Post

Seriously? -- these other companies were all too happy to make gratuitous references to Apple's bad press, so good on Apple for making it clear that the others have problems too. As for the technical side, this issue long ago became a media issue rather than a technical issue (a technical issue that is trivially solved by using a case on your smartphone was never a real issue anyway).

I spoke only of RIM. When did RIM say something? Seems like you were personally affected by this bad press on the iphone for some reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybrain View Post

This is unscientific but:

I live in a fringe area. I have tried various grips with a BB Curve, a Motorola W385, a 3GS and a 4. The death grip on the 4 drops 24 db and the indication changes to no service from 5 bars (pre-patch ios4). The curve, the 385, and the 3GS all will maintain a call connection.

If I use a bumper on the 4 or wear a glove, it gives the best connection and audio quality of the group. Lowest noise, no artifacts. Great phone. Just don't hold it in your hand in a secure manner.

Point is: of course a persons body and hands are going to affect signal strength. The Apple antenna problem is extreme and was totally avoidable. Observed on the 4: 24 db loss. On the 3GS: 5 db (actually a 3 to 5 db gain if you turn the phone upside down).


So, I think it is valid to say that Apple still likes to deflect and deny instead of just manning up. But what the hay, at least they are addressing the problem.

I'd say they solved it. It may not be the resolution expected, but I don't think this is their final solution for the iphone 4. I think the september 30th date was given for a reason, they're clearly still evaluating what to do. At the end of the day, putting a "band-aid" on a phone that otherwise is excellent to fix issues in fringe areas isn't a huge deal to me. If it were a crappy phone, I'd think otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

I can understand that they would be upset Apple is calling them out when consumers obviously haven't had significant problems (since we didn't hear about death-grips until Apple pointed to them). At the same time, Steve Jobs did say that he didn't think it would have been such an issue because all phones do it, and if he hadn't proved it, there'd be more trouble. Nokia, especially, has almost no right to be upset since they were making fun of Apple for it.

RIM did sort of get dragged into this, but a consumer who takes even a moment to think will realize Apple isn't insulting RIM - if RIM has the same bar drop but no one noticed before, it means phones can still work with some attenuation (or de-tuning, or what-have-you) so Blackberry or iPhone or whatever, maybe parts of the media really did blow this out of proportion. They're simply proving this is a common issue; they aren't dragging anyone through mud.

That's a really simple way to fix their woes, however. The iphone seems to be more sensitive than the other phones. To say "all phones have signal loss when held, but our new model has more than our old model" doesn't sound so good. They still told the truth, just didn't bother to expand upon it. That said, it is impressive how it holds on to signal even in these fringe areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtDecoDalek View Post

The amount of the signal drop, by itself, doesn't say ANYTHING. If the antenna is more sensitive to begin with, and then loses more signal when partially blocked, it can still end up more, or as, sensitive as a phone with an antenna that is less sensitive to begin with. The conclusion that Apple came to when testing the external antenna, that the net result was more performant, is born out by the return/dropped call rate for iPhone 4.

They actually claimed the drop call rate was higher than the 3gs. Not sure how accurate that is though, as either phone might have more or less since I'm pretty much positive most people don't report every dropped call. That would be a hassle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf Monkey View Post

Hogwash. Apple actually did exactly the right thing. They put the other manufacturers on their heels. It's obvious that many smart phones show the EXACT same behavior as the iPhone 4. Pretending that this is just an Apple problem is just as idiotic as pretending that there is no problem whatsoever. Apple's decision to show how the death grip works on other manufacturer's hardware is exactly what any good marketing department would do: Put the rest of the industry on the defensive.

They show similar behavior but to a less degree. Nobody noteworthy said it was just an apple issue, but many did note that when it does happen with the iphone 4 it is more substantial, even than the 3gs. Plus, they dodged the question about how it happens with a single touch at times and didn't test that either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuniverse View Post

I disagree. Nokia and others already had made fun of Apple despite themselves having similar problems.

I'm talking about RIM. RIM has nothing to do with Motorola or Nokia's jabs. Did you read what I said?
post #50 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Bottom Line:

Apple Screwed Up By Choosing Aesthetics Over Functionality, They're Attempting To Appease The Masses Until They Can Re-Engineer A Real Solution, and Pointing Out (alleged) Issues With Competing Handsets Doesn't Help..

Note: Rubber Bandages To Cover Up The Flaw Is Not A Real Solution -

Bottom line is that there would be even more whiners like you whining because design sucks and nobody would care that it can receive calls from jupiter.

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply
post #51 of 543
First did not believe this, but then I tried losing reception on a Razr (not even a smartphone) and after gripping the chin (though I gotta say is not a very natural grip) I was able to drive it down from 5 to zero bars in about 20 seconds.

After holding iPhone 4 I have to say that my pinky and finger before it automatically lie on different sides of the antenna separation line so I don't think I would have any issues.

Also it's funny how nokia stated that they are "pioneers of internal antenna design". I was laughing pretty hard.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #52 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

Bottom line is that there would be even more whiners like you whining because design sucks and nobody would care that it can receive calls from jupiter.

I'm not 'whining' in the least...the Situation Simply Is As it Stands, and only you and your' ilk appear to be all bent out of shape about it, even resorting to profanity/personal insults as you really have no logical/rational arguing platform -
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #53 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jobs

We haven't found a way around the laws of physics yet.

If Nokia and RIM have, then correct me, but if not, Apple was right.
I am the Great Bug

:-P
Reply
I am the Great Bug

:-P
Reply
post #54 of 543
Hey, if you're gonna notify us about a personal attack, don't quote the damn thing in your own post.
--Johnny
Reply
--Johnny
Reply
post #55 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

I'm not 'whining' in the least...the Situation Simply Is As it Stands, and only you and your' ilk appear to be all bent out of shape about it, even resorting to profanity/personal insults as you really have no logical/rational arguing platform -

Right. My heart bleeds.

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply
post #56 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post

They show similar behavior but to a less degree. Nobody noteworthy said it was just an apple issue, but many did note that when it does happen with the iphone 4 it is more substantial, even than the 3gs. Plus, they dodged the question about how it happens with a single touch at times and didn't test that either.

I don't see any evidence to back up this assertion, and plenty of evidence that contradicts it. Near as I can tell, the iPhone 4 exhibits behavior that is essentially the same as what is observed on many other phones.

My point stands. Apple did the right thing by putting the rest of the industry on the defensive.
post #57 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Jobs exposed the industry's dirty little secret and now RIM and Nokia are crying about it. They need to fess-up too.

I think we just have some poor losers, Gizmodo, out there that want to take Apple down a few notches if they can.

Damn straight ! - I know nothings perfect but Glass houses and stones .....

I liked the challenge to the whole industry, make antennas better. That's just one of the things the industry needs to do
post #58 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Hey, if you're gonna notify us about a personal attack, don't quote the damn thing in your own post.

Sometimes a reported post is quoted just in case the violator recognized the error and deleted the post.

Note: ...and wouldn't the courteous/professional thing to do have been to send a PM, or was it your intention to draw public attention to the individual who reported the violation?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #59 of 543
Stop the rationalizing.

Demand Apple bring back Field Test Mode in the next iOS 4 update.


http://www.wpsantennas.com/pdf/testm...dTestModes.pdf
post #60 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

I disagree that Apple was out of line in any way here.

Remember the Toyotas-won't-stop problem from a few months ago? If the issue wasn't a Toyota issue, but instead a problem that was universal to all cars (or all sedans, regardless of the carmaker), you're damn right that I'd have wanted Toyota to point that out.

I thought that pretty much turned out to be driver error. Didn't the NHSTA report that the engine computer logs mostly show the accelerator was usually mashed and the brake pedal unpressed? ECMs record roughly a minute (or 30, 45 seconds, somewhere in there) of operational data during a crash, which is useful for forensic analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

De-tuning is not attenuation.

No, but the former can result in the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The videos of their phones don't lie.

I think it's possible to fake that by raising a large RF reflecting panel behind the camera, point the camera away from the tower. However, it would be a very bad idea to do so, from a PR and legal liability perspective.

I had no idea that modern phones were so sensitive, my old feature phones didn't seem to do anything like that, they could get a signal through gaps in metal siding, little bits of flesh was nothing. One that I used for 6 years had an external extendable antenna though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuniverse View Post

I disagree. Nokia and others already had made fun of Apple despite themselves having similar problems.

Nokia did, I don't remember Samsung or RIM doing it. I thought the presentation was very respectful, there were no aspersions cast as to the quality of the radio or antenna design. The only question mark for me was Steve pointing to the line and saying it was supposed to be an indicator of where NOT to touch, such a thing was not made known before the presentation. I did not find such a mention in the paperwork shipped with my iPhone 4. I also question the sensibility of designing the phone such that the weak spot is in an area commonly touched when holding the phone. That said, it wasn't a problem for me, and I live in a weak signal area.
post #61 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

The iPhone 4 is the only phone that can go from 5 bars to 0 bars with the touch of a single finger at a small part of the case.

Apple is right to be criticized for this obvious design flaw. This is not standard attenuation.


Increased antenna performance design, but X marks the spot where you will decrease its superior performance if you bridge it. Small effort on the part of the user to avoid dropped calls in low bandwidth areas.
post #62 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I came away satisfied and impressed with Apple's take on the 'problem.' I'll now sell my 3Gs and order an iPhone 4. If nothing else, but for the thinner form factor, 40% increased battery life and the improved camera with flash.

Don't do it! If you get one, there's only a 99.45% chance you'll be happy with it enough to keep it. And if you believe the flip-floppers over at Consumer Reports, you'll just be settling for the best smartphone on the market. You should demand more. Perhaps a cheap and clunky Nokia phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Apple's products are great and superior to anything else that is being manufactured from smart phones to laptops.

Don't you want a Nokia Hello Kitty phone? A plastic fantastic Dell Inspiron craptop loaded with shovelware?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #63 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Bottom Line:

Apple Screwed Up By Choosing Aesthetics Over Functionality, They're Attempting To Appease The Masses Until They Can Re-Engineer A Real Solution, and Pointing Out (alleged) Issues With Competing Handsets Doesn't Help..

Note: Rubber Bandages To Cover Up The Flaw Is Not A Real Solution -

Vaguely true, but definitely biased.

Apple made a trade off for aesthetics, battery life, and small form factor : both of which people want over the perceived small risk of antenna detuning. I say perceived small because this clearly does not happen for a lot of people I know who use an iP4 with no case and clearly doesn't happen for the Apple directors. That being said the problem is now widely known about . Which is different from widely experienced.

What Apple have done is bought themselves time to figure out a manufactured solution. Either an antenna inside the phone - may mean trading battery life and/or form factor or a protective coating. Apple said they'd look at the situation again at the end of Sept.



Really, what more do you want from them? They've done all they can now, and they're looking for other solutions/ fixes


From my perspective - using a case is tantamount to putting the antenna inside the phone anyway - because if that's the solution the phone wont look so good and you'd probably be less interested in having it anyway.
Remember the case is now free !
post #64 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf Monkey View Post

I don't see any evidence to back up this assertion, and plenty of evidence that contradicts it. Near as I can tell, the iPhone 4 exhibits behavior that is essentially the same as what is observed on many other phones.

My point stands. Apple did the right thing by putting the rest of the industry on the defensive.

... or maybe declaring that 'Well Everyone Else Is Doing It' was their last resort ?

One would reason a company as 'innovative' as Apple would have found a viable solution to this 'attenuation problem' rather than choosing a design that actually exacerbates it.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #65 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post

It is, but RIM was right in what they said. Apple used other examples to divert attention to their specific problem, which is signal decrease higher than the norm in terms of dbm. There was no need to draw them into this, especially if they weren't going to be thorough in the style of anandtech and show exactly how this counts in terms of dbm and how it affects the performance of the phones.

What is wrong with pointing out deficiencies in other products? This is capitalism at its finest. Apple is simply pointing out that this is not a unique situation to iPhone 4.

The same Fandroids, RIMjobs, and NokiaNuts that are decrying the exposition of their pet technologies as being similarly deficient and that "competition is good" are the very same that are out flaming Apple on a minute-by-minute basis in a desperate attempt to keep this much ado about nothing in the limelight. Stings, doesn't it?

Sorry, but I find the comparison to other competing products ENTIRELY APPROPRIATE. Let me repeat that, in case you didn't hear:

ENTIRELY APPROPRIATE RESPONSE BY APPLE
post #66 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic8Ball View Post

Vaguely true, but definitely biased.

Apple made a trade off for aesthetics, battery life, and small form factor : both of which people want over the perceived small risk of antenna detuning. I say perceived small because this clearly does not happen for a lot of people I know who use an iP4 with no case and clearly doesn't happen for the Apple directors. That being said the problem is now widely known about . Which is different from widely experienced.

What Apple have done is bought themselves time to figure out a manufactured solution. Either an antenna inside the phone - may mean trading battery life and/or form factor or a protective coating. Apple said they'd look at the situation again at the end of Sept.



Really, what more do you want from them? They've done all they can now, and they're looking for other solutions/ fixes


From my perspective - using a case is tantamount to putting the antenna inside the phone anyway - because if that's the solution the phone wont look so good and you'd probably be less interested in having it anyway.
Remember the case is now free !

I Agree Wholeheartedly... and (as I previously posted) feel strongly that there will be a redesign in the very near future.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #67 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Jobs exposed the industry's dirty little secret and now RIM and Nokia are crying about it. They need to fess-up too.

I think we just have some poor losers, Gizmodo, out there that want to take Apple down a few notches if they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I agree with you that I don't think they were way out of line, but a response like this was probably to be expected. RIM and Nokia have probably been in something of a panic as they have seen the rise of Apple, and you can't blame them for poking at a chink in the armour.

First, most of these vendors already tried to take advantage of the problem - as long as they could pretend it was only Apple's phone affected. You don't think they (and/or their fans) helped stir up the anti-Apple nonsense? Saying that Apple is just bringing them in to distract people from Apple's problems is disingenuous, at best.

More importantly, it doesn't take much to predict that this will backfire on RIM. When Nokia tried blasting Apple, it didn't take more than a few hours for YouTube videos to appear showing that Nokia's phones had the same problem.

There are already videos showing RIM phones to have the same problem, this will step it up quite a bit.

Bottom line, if RIM had kept their mouths shut, the issue would have gone away. Now, they're simply focusing attention on themselves.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #68 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBearDan View Post

People tend to not get angry unless you have hit a sore spot or pointed out something that they don't want you to know, THEN the get Angry because you have pointed out weak spot.

What happens if I claim that you are retarded?
post #69 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Bottom line, if RIM had kept their mouths shut, the issue would have gone away. Now, they're simply focusing attention on themselves.

Word and true.
post #70 of 543
Apple correctly pointed out that all cellphones are affected by your hand. the media had been ignoring that simple fact - including CR - in making a big deal about the iPhone 4's behavior. of course few will admit they have been overlooking anything, and will resent Apple even more for showing them up. so they will keep whining, starting with CR.

the only real difference is the extra vulnerability of the iPhone's external antenna gap. in weak signal areas it matters. which is what got noticed. the bumper or a case fixes that. and now they are a free option when you buy one, and refunds are going to earlier buyers. so yes, the design is not "perfect" - jobs started his remarks admitting that - but the problem is fixed in terms of actual use.

continued whining about this is simply gratuitous Apple bashing by the whiners and bashers - of which there are many here and elsewhere. of course Apple's generally arrogant attitude does invite such negativity. plus the Android fans and other rivals.

that said, a hardware fix is of course coming. maybe it is as simple as a clear insulation coating over the antenna gap - which could be instituted in a few months - or simply moving the gap to the bottom of the phone, instead of on its side, where it is unlikely to be touched - which would take longer with FCC review. i dunno. but to claim the whole external antenna concept is intrinsically flawed is wild overstatement at this point.

most people i know use a case on their phones anyway, and i suspect at least half of consumers do. for them there is no need to wait for a hardware fix and they should go ahead and buy an iPhone 4 without hesitation. but for folks who like their phones naked - i do - i would suggest they wait and see if a revised model comes out mid-cycle. if i were Apple i would not wait a full year cycle to fix an admitted weakness.
post #71 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Jobs exposed the industry's dirty little secret and now RIM and Nokia are crying about it. They need to fess-up too.


Exactly right. Every RIM and Nokia phone drops calls when you have it in your hand. That's why those Crackberrys use bluetooth headsets so much.
post #72 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

But a huge to do is being made of the Apple issue, when this is not a solely Apple-related problem. People in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones and all that. Apple is perfectly in their rights to defend themselves. Consider the examples they use as court evidence that they are not alone. This kind of thing could well end up being very important in keeping class action lawsuits from coming Apple's way if the judge is able to look around and freely see that it isn't an Apple-only issue.

Excellent observations. +1.
post #73 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

I Agree Wholeheartedly... and (as I previously posted) feel strongly that there will be a redesign in the very near future.

Or a different product - semantics I know but the fix could just be a clear durable coating that hardly anyone notices. That would require a manufacturing change but not a design change.


As for fields test mode (FTM) - I don't want FTM back until it tells me what I need to know and it's comparable to FTM in other products.
So:

1 I want all smart phones to have FTM
2 I want them to use the same formula to detect signal strength, interference etc
3 I want the results to be accurate
4 I want the results to be comparable


I'm sure there are other things I'll need but that's it for now
post #74 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestival View Post

(a technical issue that is trivially solved by using a case on your smartphone was never a real issue anyway).

I've seen custom-made Band-Aids that work too. Most iPhone 4 owners are having fun with this, but the media blew it all out of proportion.
post #75 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf Monkey View Post

I don't see any evidence to back up this assertion, and plenty of evidence that contradicts it. Near as I can tell, the iPhone 4 exhibits behavior that is essentially the same as what is observed on many other phones.

My point stands. Apple did the right thing by putting the rest of the industry on the defensive.

Check the anandtech review, they show the decrease in dbm instead of the decrease in bars. I'm not just talking out of my ass, I have no reason to slight apple.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/t...one-4-review/2

The iphone 4 in a case performs extremely well, and outside of a case has the most signal loss in dbm of all 3 phones depending on how its held--including the 3GS. What's good about the design is it hangs on to calls better. The loss of signal from holding it in a fringe area would be the real issue. For everyone else with GOOD service it's a neat party trick.
post #76 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillman View Post

That probably explains the Nokia X5 then:



I guess they care a lot more about the way it works rather than the way it looks. They have no taste at all. Apple has the right idea.
post #77 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

I disagree that Apple was out of line in any way here.

Remember the Toyotas-won't-stop problem from a few months ago? If the issue wasn't a Toyota issue, but instead a problem that was universal to all cars (or all sedans, regardless of the carmaker), you're damn right that I'd have wanted Toyota to point that out.

In fact, it bothered me that the media did not not pursue this angle of the story at all. One would have thought that it would have been a great start to the career of some investigative reporter to explore whether and which other cars had similar electronic hardware, similar Toyota-like design of accelerator, similar software, reports of 'automatic' speeding and brake failure, etc. and probe whether it was happening elsewhere. Whether the answer was 'yes' or 'no,' what an important story that would have been!

A similar opportunity existed with iPhone versus other smart-phones, on the issue of signal attenuation. Yet, all the hordes could do was to look over each others' shoulders and report the same thing that each other was reporting.

What an utterly lazy, uninformed industry it has become!
post #78 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuzz View Post

And, even if they do move it inside the case, you will still have attenuation as it is a common problem no matter where you put the antenna.


Every phone has exactly the same problem as the iPhone, but nobody except Apple is honest enough to admit it.

Bunch of WHINERS!!!
post #79 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

I Agree Wholeheartedly... and (as I previously posted) feel strongly that there will be a redesign in the very near future.

You smoke too much.

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply
post #80 of 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

The iPhone 4 is the only phone that can go from 5 bars to 0 bars with the touch of a single finger at a small part of the case.


That is only when you have zero bars to begin with. The new software has fixed that particular "problem".

And every phone has a magic spot. Apple's only mistake was to put a contrasting black bar there, so everybody knows where it is.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › RIM, Nokia respond to Apple's "Antennagate" press conference