or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Mysterious new Bluetooth Apple product given FCC approval
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mysterious new Bluetooth Apple product given FCC approval

post #1 of 79
Thread Starter 
An unnamed new Bluetooth-equipped Apple product, first submitted to the Federal Communications Commission for review last October, was granted regulatory approval this week.

The mysterious new device was listed Monday on the FCC's website. The hardware was connected to a MacBook via Bluetooth, and no mention of Wi-Fi or cellular data wireless radios was made in the filings.

On page 45 of the FCC documents, the device is referred to as a "Bluetooth Trackpad" created by Apple.

The only other hint included in the filing is that it is a rectangular shaped device, and its FCC/IC label location will be located on its bottom side. The unnamed "Bluetooth device" has a model number of A1339.

Initial testing with the hardware was completed last October, with an issue date on the report reading Oct. 7, 2009. The documents were made public Monday by the FCC.

Rumors of a multi-touch standalone trackpad style device, dubbed the "Magic Trackpad," first surfaced about the time the FCC was testing this unknown device last year. The name became known in February, when Apple applied for ownership of the trademark.

Then, in June, photos of the alleged hardware surfaced online. The information would seem to suggest that Apple has had the new hardware lying in wait for some time, which would fit with the documentation accompanying Monday's FCC approval.



post #2 of 79
How about a small touchscreen to accept gestures like the iPad and iPhone along with maybe displaying a numeric keypad or other keyboard input layouts. That would be sweet.
post #3 of 79
the new Apple TV Remote control, with Apple TV running iOS4? This would be very scary to MSFT.
post #4 of 79
Hell, I'm just tickled my headset is now fully functional under bluetooth and the iPhone 4 (the FWD and BACK buttons now work...Woot

I hadn't considered a touchscreen for this device. I assumed it would be a touchpad (albeit of a much larger scale) like we see on the Macbooks. You bring up an interesting point. A true touch screen keyboard for a desktop (or laptop) PC. I wonder if such a thing would appeal, or if they would just stick to simple basics like programmable buttons (ala Logitech IR remotes).
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
post #5 of 79
Cool.

But the haters lose their minds in 3,2,1...
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
post #6 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by starnyc View Post

the new Apple TV Remote control, with Apple TV running iOS4? This would be very scary to MSFT.

Much more likely a Trackpad with all the bells and whistles of a MB/MBP trackpad that could bring older notebooks up to date as well as being an option to the mouse for iMacs and Mac Pros. I would look for it to be about $69 and designed to fit nicely with and iMac and allow the gesture capabilities that the desktops don't have.

I think it would be a wonderful replacement for my aging Kensington Trackball.
post #7 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdanboy View Post

How about a small touchscreen to accept gestures like the iPad and iPhone along with maybe displaying a numeric keypad or other keyboard input layouts. That would be sweet.


Why would you want to look away from the monitor just to move the cursor?

That would be even worse than a touch-screen monitor and no mouse.
post #8 of 79
Hmm..I wonder if they could also be delving into tablets ala Wacom? That would be an excellent addition to the Mac line for artists
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
post #9 of 79
Looks too much like the wireless keyboard to be a hand held device. I'd guess that it's a non-display multi-touch pad that would optionally replace the Magic Mouse.

Why no display? Because the last thing you want to do is force the user to look at a pointing device. You want to keep the user's eyes on the main screen. This reduces fatigue and saves time. (Same thing with TV remotes by the way: they should be usable without the need to look at them.)

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #10 of 79
Been waiting for decent affordable wireless earbuds all my life.
post #11 of 79
i think StarNYC has it right.
who's going to use a trackpad on their MacPro that isn't alreay using a Wacom?
I think this is an input device for an iOS to be used without a touchscreen [like your TV]. i'm thinking some form of pointer onscreen shows your fingers location on the trackpad, and additional finger pressure allows for iPad/iPhone style flip-scrolling and clicking.
post #12 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

i think StarNYC has it right.
who's going to use a trackpad on their MacPro that isn't alreay using a Wacom?
I think this is an input device for an iOS to be used without a touchscreen [like your TV]. i'm thinking some form of pointer onscreen shows your fingers location on the trackpad, and additional finger pressure allows for iPad/iPhone style flip-scrolling and clicking.

While that might be nice, I think it's more likely a standalone trackpad, and I would replace my magic mouse with a trackpad in a second, even though I'm very happy with the magic mouse.
post #13 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdanboy View Post

How about a small touchscreen to accept gestures like the iPad and iPhone along with maybe displaying a numeric keypad or other keyboard input layouts. That would be sweet.

That would be cool, but judging by the pics it uses AA-batteries and it doesn't look like an LCD on top with li-Poly batteries underneath to allow for extended use before charging is part of the design, but that would be cool.

I fully expect their notebook trackpads to get that before too long. Dell has already experimented with that on the Adamo.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #14 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Been waiting for decent affordable wireless earbuds all my life.

Rectangular earbuds
post #15 of 79
My shot in the dark:

A wireless glass trackpad to paired with the new appletv for gesture support with iOS
MBP (15, 2.33, 3GB,10.6/win/lin on 250GB)
MP (3,1 oct 2.8, 10GB. 10.6 on 4x1TB RAID10, Win/Lin on 1x2TB, 2407WFP on 1x5770 + 2xSamsung 910t on 1xGT120)
also a lot of other systems :-p
I met a...
Reply
MBP (15, 2.33, 3GB,10.6/win/lin on 250GB)
MP (3,1 oct 2.8, 10GB. 10.6 on 4x1TB RAID10, Win/Lin on 1x2TB, 2407WFP on 1x5770 + 2xSamsung 910t on 1xGT120)
also a lot of other systems :-p
I met a...
Reply
post #16 of 79
I hope Apple has decided to complement the new media-friendly Mac Mini with a livingroom-friendly keyboard. I have been using a Logitech bluetooth keyboard with a crappy track-disc int he lower right corner. It's better than a keyboard & separate mouse (or so I thought until I got a Magic Mouse).

I used to use a Mighty Mouse & Apple Bluetooth Keyboard with me Mini and I got sick of using two devices...The mouse is just not in its element on a couch.

Apple has validated the living room, media center use of the Mac Mini with its recent redesign. Its only logical that Apple makes a living room savvy input device.

nothing to see here

Reply

nothing to see here

Reply
post #17 of 79
I am pretty sure this is the long rumored iPhone shuffle.
No display, one button to call any random person on your contact list.
post #18 of 79
I think it's the Apple "magic" trackpad...there were pictures floating around a few weeks ago...

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives..._from_fcc.html
post #19 of 79
I'm intrigued

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

I am pretty sure this is the long rumored iPhone shuffle.
No display, one button to call any random person on your contact list.

post #20 of 79
Bring it on! Trackpads are so much better than mice. The new multi-touch MBP trackpads really set the standard.
post #21 of 79
it's the new external bluetooth antenna. You shove it up your....
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
post #22 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by seek3r View Post

My shot in the dark:

A wireless glass trackpad to paired with the new appletv for gesture support with iOS

Though I could see why this would be highly beneficial to an updated AppleTV running an iOS, I personally think it's much more likely that this is a stand-alone glass trackpad like what you would find on the current MBPs. I think the new AppleTV, when it comes out, will have a more conventional remote and will utilize an iPod Touch or iPhone as an optional means of control (like the way they do now).
post #23 of 79
As of iOS4 the Bluetooth Keyboard works across Apple's entire product line from iPhone to iPad to computer. There's no reason to think this device would not be the same. Going along the lines of convergence, it makes a lot of sense for Apple TV to share the same GUI as iOS because Apple TV development is a duplication of effort now that Apple has an HD Capable chip in the A4. Their margins would go up on this device if they did not have to pay Intel for the Pentium and it could come off the assembly lines of the old iPhones like a headless iPhone with solid state media.


Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

While that might be nice, I think it's more likely a standalone trackpad, and I would replace my magic mouse with a trackpad in a second, even though I'm very happy with the magic mouse.
post #24 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

Bring it on! Trackpads are so much better than mice. The new multi-touch MBP trackpads really set the standard.

Agreed (for the most part). I'd much rather use the glass trackpad on my MBP than the Magic Mouse on my iMac.
post #25 of 79
I just realized that my iMac's keyboard looks almost exactly like my (2008) iRiver SPINN from the side... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #26 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

who's going to use a trackpad on their MacPro that isn't alreay using a Wacom?

What about all the iMacs out there? A stand-alone glass trackpad would be an improvement over the magic mouse and most certainly over the mighty mouse.
post #27 of 79
[poking fun + sarcasm] This is a bluetooth screen-less phone to improve phone-call capability of iPhone 4. iPhone 4 would be paired AS a bluetooth headset for this new phone! Oh wait, that cannot be enough to make iPhone 4 useful, proximity sensor will still cause trouble! [end]
post #28 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Hmm..I wonder if they could also be delving into tablets ala Wacom? That would be an excellent addition to the Mac line for artists

I really doubt this. Their flagship product at this point is the iPad, and the iPad is both pretty bad for artists but also even closer in form factor to a Wacom pad.

If Apple wanted to close that divide, and make a product that allowed folks to draw like a Wacom tablet, they could easily have added the functionality to the iPad and would probably add the functionality into their iOS product line before they would try the desktop.

Apple has historically shown no interest whatsoever in making products for people who need to draw on the screen with the (slight/sorta), exception of the Newton all those years ago. Despite all the artists that use Macs it's a complete non-priority for them it seems.
post #29 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Why would you want to look away from the monitor just to move the cursor?... That would be even worse than a touch-screen monitor and no mouse.

This is a very funny comment (unintentionally probably), because this was pretty much the chief response (almost word for word!), that a lot of folks had when the mouse came out.

"Why would anyone want to use a mouse? You have to turn your head away from the screen to use it. Keeping your fingers on the keys and your eyes on the screen is faster."

All valid criticisms, and all true, but it still didn't stop the mouse from taking over.
post #30 of 79
Undoubtedly a game changing, revolutionary product that I would kill to have and that will be shipping 2-4 weeks after it is in stores hopefully sans antenna issue.
post #31 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I really doubt this. Their flagship product at this point is the iPad, and the iPad is both pretty bad for artists but also even closer in form factor to a Wacom pad.

If Apple wanted to close that divide, and make a product that allowed folks to draw like a Wacom tablet, they could easily have added the functionality to the iPad and would probably add the functionality into their iOS product line before they would try the desktop.

Apple has historically shown no interest whatsoever in making products for people who need to draw on the screen with the (slight/sorta), exception of the Newton all those years ago. Despite all the artists that use Macs it's a complete non-priority for them it seems.

from the original post about this thing: "The images also came with a tip that the device would support handwriting recognition, along with "every feature you can find on a Magic Mouse (and possibly features of a MacBook Pro trackpad)." The information reportedly came from a person who claimed to be personally testing it."
post #32 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by starnyc View Post

the new Apple TV Remote control, with Apple TV running iOS4? This would be very scary to MSFT.

good !
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #33 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

from the original post about this thing: "The images also came with a tip that the device would support handwriting recognition, along with "every feature you can find on a Magic Mouse (and possibly features of a MacBook Pro trackpad)." The information reportedly came from a person who claimed to be personally testing it."

Handwriting recognition has nothing to do with drawing or Wacom pads. It's been available on the desktop for years, and on all iOS devices I believe. It has nothing to do with pressure sensitive pens or drawing per se.
post #34 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by starnyc View Post

As of iOS4 the Bluetooth Keyboard works across Apple's entire product line from iPhone to iPad to computer. There's no reason to think this device would not be the same. Going along the lines of convergence, it makes a lot of sense for Apple TV to share the same GUI as iOS because Apple TV development is a duplication of effort now that Apple has an HD Capable chip in the A4. Their margins would go up on this device if they did not have to pay Intel for the Pentium and it could come off the assembly lines of the old iPhones like a headless iPhone with solid state media.

Current Apple TV can use the BT Keyboard?
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
post #35 of 79
It has to be that touchpad
post #36 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Hell, I'm just tickled my headset is now fully functional under bluetooth and the iPhone 4 (the FWD and BACK buttons now work...Woot

I hadn't considered a touchscreen for this device. I assumed it would be a touchpad (albeit of a much larger scale) like we see on the Macbooks. You bring up an interesting point. A true touch screen keyboard for a desktop (or laptop) PC. I wonder if such a thing would appeal, or if they would just stick to simple basics like programmable buttons (ala Logitech IR remotes).

Are you sure you are able to do this natively with bluetooth and Iphone 4? Only way I can get mine to do it is via the Jaybird software
post #37 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is a very funny comment (unintentionally probably), because this was pretty much the chief response (almost word for word!), that a lot of folks had when the mouse came out.

"Why would anyone want to use a mouse? You have to turn your head away from the screen to use it. Keeping your fingers on the keys and your eyes on the screen is faster."

All valid criticisms, and all true, but it still didn't stop the mouse from taking over.

How are they all valid and true? I never have had to turn my head away to use any of my mice, touchpads or touchpoints on any of my computers. There are actions where a keyboard is faster but certainly not in many cases.
post #38 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Cool.

But the haters lose their minds in 3,2,1...

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody cares about third party iPhone applications. Web apps are really SWEET.

Nobody cares about copy and paste on the iPhone.

Nobody cares about multitasking on the iPhone.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.
post #39 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

[]

I really wish you'd be banned for this repetitive nonsense.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #40 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody cares about third party iPhone applications. Web apps are really SWEET.

Nobody cares about copy and paste on the iPhone.

Nobody cares about multitasking on the iPhone.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.

Apple will never give away free bumpers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Mysterious new Bluetooth Apple product given FCC approval