or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Strong quarter expected, but Apple's 'antennagate' could hurt iPhone sales
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Strong quarter expected, but Apple's 'antennagate' could hurt iPhone sales - Page 2

post #41 of 84
I love my iPhone4, thats all I have to say.
post #42 of 84
We just started page two of this thread and it has already devolved into The Fanbois vs. The FanDroids. Gee, I wonder how this will turn out...

At any rate, the real problem Apple has is not the antenna, it's supplying the huge demand for iPhone 4. And still no white iPhone 4.
post #43 of 84
I hope this "forecast" is enough to push Steve Jobs towards Verizon. Maybe the rumors about January 2011 will turn into reality this fall instead. It will be interesting to see how the iPhone fairs on a network that actually has quality reception. That's why I won't leave Verizon for AT&T. Besides that I'm just no fan of the Droid phones. The App Store and iTunes have no competition IMHO. I tries going PC and to describe my experience in technical terms that most Apple users understand...those seven or eight months working with Windows and Norton Utilities sucked. I know, I know...I'm a Fanboy. What can I say.
post #44 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

The only thing that will restrict iPhone sales is supply.

I'm on day 26 waiting for Radio Shack to get me my iPhone 4, I was the first one on the 15th to 'pre-order' and still do not have one. Friday I was told to not to expect it at all this month, maybe in August, but they just don't know WHEN they'll get them in. They've had only three 16 GB versions and of course, I'm the first one to order a 32 GB version which has yet to arrive at all.

Chris Powers
post #45 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Apple and the iPhone have a bad image with the normal general public right now. Only Apple fanbois are walking around with a "just get a case" mentality. The iPhone 4 is perceived as not being able to hold calls, whatever the reason. This makes Android look like a pretty good option.

Okay Apple apologists. Your turn now.

Hard to say, techstud. Every time I've gone into either an at&t store or an Apple Store, it seems like there are more buyers and interested potential customers every time. I think the perception that Apple is now somehow been 'poisoned' by the antenna issue is all a game of inside baseball.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #46 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPenceRicher View Post

Typical Fandroid trolling. The EVO has a serious grounding problem allowing use of the device's touchscreen only when held. Android has had a number of well-publicized malicious applications distributed to its user base. Fandroids go on and on and on about phone hardware specs, but rarely ever consider the actual usability of the entire package for any particular purpose, or any particular use case. HTC and Moto come out with, perhaps, six new phones a year -- essentially, planned obsolescence on a roughly quarterly basis -- which causes serious financial and product churn in the Fandroid community...

And, yet, Apple comes out with a single new platform every summer like clockwork, and still manages to outsell, outperform, and innovate beyond all of the other manufacturers. Those are facts born by the financials, adoption rates, and customer sats. If you don't want the iPhone, don't buy it. If you bought the iPhone and don't like it, take it back. The only people that perceive the Antennagate as a real issue are the Fandroids that desperately want to strike down the industry's leading company, Apple. It's always easy to take shots at the leader...

Teddy Roosevelt once conveyed the following wisdom, which holds true today about Apple's innovation and occasional slight missteps:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.


This sounds a lot like what Microsoft said a few years back. I find it ironic that the one thing the iPhone does the worst, is actually its namesake ("Phone"). It has never been a good phone. People have blamed AT&T when other AT&T phones don't drop calls near as much. Then of course we find out that Apple, "the great innovators", don't even know how to compute signal strength bars. That has got to be the funniest thing ever. I find it extremely interesting.
post #47 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

I love my iPhone4, thats all I have to say.

You're not allowed to like your iP4!! Damnit!! You must be a fanbois who actually doesn't have a phone and you are lying just to prop up an obviously faulty phone that doesn't even turn on properly and the screen is awful and you can't even use it inside... you must go outside and climb a tree to use it. You're an idiot!*



(*tongue placed firmly in cheek)
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #48 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think the perception that Apple is now somehow been 'poisoned' by the antenna issue is all a game of inside baseball.

Pocket pool...
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #49 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by qualar View Post

{re: Chronster} No fanboy but 1200+ posts on AppleInsider?

That's a little misleading. 1,185 of those posts were complaining about the iPhone antenna issue.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #50 of 84
This is slightly off topic. I don't know if any of you remember that Steve Jobs said the 300 Apple Stores had over 60 million visitors last quarter. Assuming the stores are open 8 hours a day everyday, that equates to almost 300 (277 doing the math) visitors an hour at each store. I can believe that since they are always crawling with people when I'm there. So I expect to see iPhone sales continue at this torrid pace. Can you imagine the flurry of visitors when Verizon starts selling them!
post #51 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

I love my iPhone4, thats all I have to say.

When I said "okay Apple apologists, your turn" you knew I was talking to you, didn't you? I see the Kool Aid is flowing well today.

The point of my earlier post was not to be an android fanboi, but to point out that the general public regards Apple as having stumbled over their fat head on this one. Add to the fact that the general public regards Apple fans as cultish nutjobs to begin with and you end up with a brand name that is tarnished. Now thanks to the steve mobs press conference, Apple is regarded as arrogant too.

Statements like "I love my iPhone" just make the point for me. Now wipe off your keyboards and keep apologizing to me.
post #52 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's a little misleading. 1,185 of those posts were complaining about the iPhone antenna issue.

Come on! Add an emoticon if you are going to make a joke or it might be taken as a serious comment.

PS: I almost always disagree with Chonster and dont understand how or why he is so negative, but Ive never thought of him as a troll. His posts arent even close to the asshats that do like to troll these forums daily.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

This is slightly off topic. I don't know if any of you remember that Steve Jobs said the 300 Apple Stores had over 60 million visitors last quarter. Assuming the stores are open 8 hours a day everyday, that equates to almost 300 (277 doing the math) visitors an hour at each store. I can believe that since they are always crawling with people when I'm there. So I expect to see iPhone sales continue at this torrid pace. Can you imagine the flurry of visitors when Verizon starts selling them!

Not to belittle the impressive foot traffic average, but I think the daily average is closer to 12 hours.
http://www.apple.com/retail/
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #53 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPenceRicher View Post

Typical Fandroid trolling. The EVO has a serious grounding problem allowing use of the device's touchscreen only when held. Android has had a number of well-publicized malicious applications distributed to its user base....

Teddy Roosevelt once conveyed the following wisdom, which holds true today about Apple's innovation and occasional slight missteps...[/I]


For a forum post, this was very good reading!!! Much better than some of the dribble I've read. Thanks!!!
post #54 of 84
I don't own an iPhone.
I do have an iPad, and a MacPro desktop.

Does that make me a fanboy?
How about owning 640 shares of the stock, and 2 options to buy more in 2011?

I have made a lot of money buying and selling Apple. I was immensely bothered by this antenna news, and more importantly, by the initial response to the issue. Hell, I am even bothered by the assertion he made about all smart phones suffering similarly. Its just not true, if by "similarly" you mean, drops calls due to grip technique.

I hope that today's earnings announcements show much better than expected Mac sales. Apple has been giving a lot of pre-earnings guidance on how many ipads and iphones are being sold, but has been quiet on the computer front. My hope is that all of the ipads and iphones being sold are driving up store traffic and driving up sales of laptops and desktops, so that this stock gets a big lift. All of that said and done, I will not buy an iPhone if I need a bumper to use it. I'd rather have a functioning phone and PAY for a case than a non-functioning phone and getting a free case.
post #55 of 84
I like the TR quote.

Android phones do have significant problems. I don't really download many applications for precisely the issues you raise. I do still have my old 3G for some apps that I like. But as you point out, "usability" is an issue, which is the reason I reluctantly left the iPhone universe. On Verizon, I now have a signal everywhere. I have gone places I never could get a signal with AT&T - everyday places like the grocery store - and now have a great signal. That is what pushed me over the edge.

I do agree with you, TR, and Steve Jobs, about everyone wanting to snipe at the leader. While that is sad, it is also true. There are real questions about how "Antennagate" will impact Apple - even if this is not their fault and is the result of unfair attacks by competitors and the media. Maybe it won't at all. Apple has ridden above the clouds for the last 10 years and seems to be untouchable. But just posing the question is not grounds for the level of vitriol that has bee displayed on this thread, and in your post.

The bottom line is that the "Fandroids" and the "Fanboys" are both speculating here. None of us know. The financial results Apple reports today really won't tell us either. Yes, there are still lines and waiting lists for the iPhone 4. Are those early adopter upgraders from previous iPhone owners or is Apple doing what it needs to do - which is expand to new owners of the iPhone? Will people who were thinking of getting an iPhone decide to get something else because of all the things they have heard, or will Apple's stellar reputation, huge library of apps, and well-known usability sway them to the iPhone? I would say we probably won't know until next quarter, when Apple reports its sales. Until then, jragosta, there is no reason to accuse someone else of lying. Others have as much right to their opinions as you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPenceRicher View Post

Typical Fandroid trolling. The EVO has a serious grounding problem allowing use of the device's touchscreen only when held. Android has had a number of well-publicized malicious applications distributed to its user base. Fandroids go on and on and on about phone hardware specs, but rarely ever consider the actual usability of the entire package for any particular purpose, or any particular use case. HTC and Moto come out with, perhaps, six new phones a year -- essentially, planned obsolescence on a roughly quarterly basis -- which causes serious financial and product churn in the Fandroid community...

And, yet, Apple comes out with a single new platform every summer like clockwork, and still manages to outsell, outperform, and innovate beyond all of the other manufacturers. Those are facts born by the financials, adoption rates, and customer sats. If you don't want the iPhone, don't buy it. If you bought the iPhone and don't like it, take it back. The only people that perceive the Antennagate as a real issue are the Fandroids that desperately want to strike down the industry's leading company, Apple. It's always easy to take shots at the leader...

Teddy Roosevelt once conveyed the following wisdom, which holds true today about Apple's innovation and occasional slight missteps:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
post #56 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

"For now," he continued, "the Lilliputians have Gulliver in a tangle."
This isn't funny and doesn't clarify anything.
Analysts need to Analyze and stop Analogizing.

I thought that particular part was spot on.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #57 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by phalanx View Post

This sounds a lot like what Microsoft said a few years back. I find it ironic that the one thing the iPhone does the worst, is actually its namesake ("Phone"). It has never been a good phone. People have blamed AT&T when other AT&T phones don't drop calls near as much. Then of course we find out that Apple, "the great innovators", don't even know how to compute signal strength bars. That has got to be the funniest thing ever. I find it extremely interesting.

Oh little naive little child... You actually believe Apple didn't know they were boosting the bar signal artifically for 4 years? They knew.. AT&T probably worked with them on that so people didn't know how bad AT&T coverage can be in some areas.

I would bet money that other phone manufacturers lie about their signal algorithm also....

In the end this whole "attenna-gate" nonsense will blow over just like the jokes about the name of the IPAD sounding like a feminine product didn't hold water for long.... ha.
post #58 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Come on! Add an emoticon if you are going to make a joke or it might be taken as a serious comment.

PS: I almost always disagree with Chonster and dont understand how or why he is so negative, but Ive never thought of him as a troll. His posts arent even close to the asshats that do like to troll these forums daily.



Not to belittle the impressive foot traffic average, but I think the daily average is closer to 12 hours.
http://www.apple.com/retail/

I should have checked the store hours. My local Apple Store is open 72 hours a week. But the Apple Store on 5th Avenue in New York is open 24/365. So I guess the foot traffic is closer to 200 an hour. Like you said, still impressive.
post #59 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

This is slightly off topic. I don't know if any of you remember that Steve Jobs said the 300 Apple Stores had over 60 million visitors last quarter. Assuming the stores are open 8 hours a day everyday, that equates to almost 300 (277 doing the math) visitors an hour at each store. I can believe that since they are always crawling with people when I'm there. So I expect to see iPhone sales continue at this torrid pace. Can you imagine the flurry of visitors when Verizon starts selling them!

The hourly rate may be somewhat lower since most stores (at least in the U.S.) are open something like 72 to 73 hours a week. Don't know about stores in other countries. Nevertheless, the hourly visitor rate is well into the hundreds.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #60 of 84
Oops! Apple is +$6.68 this afternoon. Kinda calls into question all the FUD being spread around here about how Apple is getting killed over the antenna "issue".
post #61 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Oops! Apple is +$6.68 this afternoon. Kinda calls into question all the FUD being spread around here about how Apple is getting killed over the antenna "issue".

Mostly jealous Android owners or Google/Adobe/Nokia/Rim/Samsung/HTC employees.
post #62 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Apple and the iPhone have a bad image with the normal general public right now. Only Apple fanbois are walking around with a "just get a case" mentality. The iPhone 4 is perceived as not being able to hold calls, whatever the reason. This makes Android look like a pretty good option.

Okay Apple apologists. Your turn now.


Blackintosh
Join Date
07-13-2010
Total Posts
34

If you care, click on his alias and review mess messages.

I reviewed about 17, before I got bored

17 messages
16 Anti-Apple
1 Anti-Microsoft

Make your own decision whether @Blackintosh has an agenda or is interested in serious discussion.

BTW, for the Apple is doomed crowd because of Antennagate-- AAPL is up over $6.

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #63 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Oops! Apple is +$6.68 this afternoon. Kinda calls into question all the FUD being spread around here about how Apple is getting killed over the antenna "issue".

They were killed over the antenna issue. Particularly after the consume reports news hit the airwaves.
post #64 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post



I cant stand the suffix. With this its more absurd because this isnt even a scandal. We need a new term. Any ideas?

AntennaScheise!

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #65 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

When I said "okay Apple apologists, your turn" you knew I was talking to you, didn't you? I see the Kool Aid is flowing well today.

The point of my earlier post was not to be an android fanboi, but to point out that the general public regards Apple as having stumbled over their fat head on this one. Add to the fact that the general public regards Apple fans as cultish nutjobs to begin with and you end up with a brand name that is tarnished. Now thanks to the steve mobs press conference, Apple is regarded as arrogant too.

Statements like "I love my iPhone" just make the point for me. Now wipe off your keyboards and keep apologizing to me.

I do expect the cult to grow six billion minus teckstud strong. We need you on the outside to keep the record and the dictionary straight when the whole world has gone iPhone cult mad...

If you don't take me up on it you risk you and we becoming anonymous by default iPhone users, with you the hollow voice of an extinct whining sub specie.

Save Humanity's legacy... For our sake, please stay the course and keep out of mainstream iPhonephilia!
post #66 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

This is slightly off topic. I don't know if any of you remember that Steve Jobs said the 300 Apple Stores had over 60 million visitors last quarter. Assuming the stores are open 8 hours a day everyday, that equates to almost 300 (277 doing the math) visitors an hour at each store.

Open 8 hours a day? I'll go way out on a limb and say you've never worked in retail.... Not a dig mind you.... I think you should consider yourself very very lucky..

More realistic... 10-12 hours a day if not longer with a few stores that never close..

Now I'd say 7 days a week but Sunday blue laws are still prevalent in many places so... Let's call it 10 hours a day Monday thru Saturday and 8 hours on Sunday times half the total number of stores.

60m / ((300*10*6) + (150 * 8 * 1)) * 52 (weeks) or apx 60 visitors per hour give or take
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #67 of 84
# Company reports revenues of $15.70B vs Reuters $14.77B.
# Macs 3.47M vs 3.20M
# iPods 9.41M vs 9.79M
# iPhones 8.4M vs 8.32M
# iPads 3.27M vs 3.27M
# Guides Q4 EPS to $3.44 vs Reuters $3.83
# Guides revenues to $18.0 vs Reuters $17.07B

Does the lower EPS guidance vs higher revenue guidance indicate price cuts before the end of the year?
post #68 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by macshark View Post

# Company reports revenues of $15.70B vs Reuters $14.77B.
# Macs 3.47M vs 3.20M
# iPods 9.41M vs 9.79M
# iPhones 8.4M vs 8.32M
# iPads 3.27M vs 3.27M
# Guides Q4 EPS to $3.44 vs Reuters $3.83
# Guides revenues to $18.0 vs Reuters $17.07B

Does the lower EPS guidance vs higher revenue guidance indicate price cuts before the end of the year?

Nah! Apple doesn't [usually] do price cuts. They always are very conservative in their guidance.

The analysts always over compensate-- then Apple usually blows them away.

Usually, when they guide lower margin or EPS it is due to constrained parts that they have to pay a premium for, new products at aggressive prices, etc. For example, everyone expected the iPad to have an entry price of $1,000-$1,100.

You can listen to the call or follow one of the sites covering it, to see the rational that Apple gives.

,
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #69 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scubadiver View Post

I don't own an iPhone.
I do have an iPad, and a MacPro desktop.

Does that make me a fanboy?
How about owning 640 shares of the stock, and 2 options to buy more in 2011?

I have made a lot of money buying and selling Apple. I was immensely bothered by this antenna news, and more importantly, by the initial response to the issue. Hell, I am even bothered by the assertion he made about all smart phones suffering similarly. Its just not true, if by "similarly" you mean, drops calls due to grip technique.

I hope that today's earnings announcements show much better than expected Mac sales. Apple has been giving a lot of pre-earnings guidance on how many ipads and iphones are being sold, but has been quiet on the computer front. My hope is that all of the ipads and iphones being sold are driving up store traffic and driving up sales of laptops and desktops, so that this stock gets a big lift. All of that said and done, I will not buy an iPhone if I need a bumper to use it. I'd rather have a functioning phone and PAY for a case than a non-functioning phone and getting a free case.

You sir are a liar. There's no way in hell you trade Apple stock. Can you count? How many iPhones and iPad have they sold this quarter? How's that App store doing? Maybe you should take a break from your idiot speculation for a while, before you hurt yourself.
post #70 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

When I said "okay Apple apologists, your turn" you knew I was talking to you, didn't you? I see the Kool Aid is flowing well today.

The point of my earlier post was not to be an android fanboi, but to point out that the general public regards Apple as having stumbled over their fat head on this one. Add to the fact that the general public regards Apple fans as cultish nutjobs to begin with and you end up with a brand name that is tarnished. Now thanks to the steve mobs press conference, Apple is regarded as arrogant too.

Statements like "I love my iPhone" just make the point for me. Now wipe off your keyboards and keep apologizing to me.

Is there some sort of tech opinion junta at your local weed store bro? Obviously you need to do some better PR, because nobody knows about your apparent status as master of tech industry insight.

I'm just curious, by what methodology do you reach your astounding conclusions? Opinion polling? Masturbation?

Why do you visit cultish websites for devices that have a totally negative public perception? I'm guessing the depth of your intellect matches your ability to impress the ladies, which affords you the time and leaves you craving an anonymous way to pretend your floppy drive is a 5", rather than a 3 1/2.
post #71 of 84
Floppies were 5.25 inches, not 5. Oh I get it! Its a penis size joke! Ha ha ha! So if you like the Mac and iPhone 4 your penis must be bigger than those Windoze/Fandroid douches, right? Good one! Your wit is as sharp as your tech knowledge.


Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Is there some sort of tech opinion junta at your local weed store bro? Obviously you need to do some better PR, because nobody knows about your apparent status as master of tech industry insight.

I'm just curious, by what methodology do you reach your astounding conclusions? Opinion polling? Masturbation?

Why do you visit cultish websites for devices that have a totally negative public perception? I'm guessing the depth of your intellect matches your ability to impress the ladies, which affords you the time and leaves you craving an anonymous way to pretend your floppy drive is a 5", rather than a 3 1/2.
post #72 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Open 8 hours a day? I'll go way out on a limb and say you've never worked in retail.... Not a dig mind you.... I think you should consider yourself very very lucky..

More realistic... 10-12 hours a day if not longer with a few stores that never close..

Now I'd say 7 days a week but Sunday blue laws are still prevalent in many places so... Let's call it 10 hours a day Monday thru Saturday and 8 hours on Sunday times half the total number of stores.

60m / ((300*10*6) + (150 * 8 * 1)) * 52 (weeks) or apx 60 visitors per hour give or take

You are right. I never worked in retail. Earlier posters suggested I look at the Apple retail store hours. It looks more like 72 to 75 hours a week is more accurate. I don't know if your assumption about half the stores never closing is right? I looked at several of the larger cities and New York was the only one I found that was 24/7.

1) 60 million visitors in the last quarter at 300 stores.
2) 1 quarter = 13 weeks = 13*75hours = 975 hours
3) 60,000,000/975 = 61,538 visitors per hour
4) 61,538/300 stores = 205 visitors per hour per store

So I guess we can agree on somewhere between 60 and 200.
post #73 of 84
The people that actually believe in Antennagate have absolutely no common sense; therefore, shouldn't own a smartphone. Every other cellphone manual explains the antenna performance if held a specific way, and even the Rim 9700 Safety manual says to hold the phone at least .98 inches away from your body if you are not using a RIM-approved case. So in other words, you shouldn't put it anywhere near your head! It even goes so far to say that if you use a case that is not RIM-approved, you may void your warranty! The funniest part of their safety manual says to keep the phone away from the abdomen of pregnant women and teenagers!

Meanwhile, the people at RIM claim their phone has no issues and can be used without a case. Hmmm...maybe they need to read their own manual first.

I just got my Nokia 2720 flip GoPhone after returning my iPhone 4 due to financial reasons. On Page 9 clearly says with a big NO symbol, do not block the lower half of the phone for proper antenna performance. So if people think this antennagate with cell phones is something brand new, they are pretty stupid.
post #74 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPenceRicher View Post

Typical Fandroid trolling. The EVO has a serious grounding problem allowing use of the device's touchscreen only when held. Android has had a number of well-publicized malicious applications distributed to its user base. Fandroids go on and on and on about phone hardware specs, but rarely ever consider the actual usability of the entire package for any particular purpose, or any particular use case. HTC and Moto come out with, perhaps, six new phones a year -- essentially, planned obsolescence on a roughly quarterly basis -- which causes serious financial and product churn in the Fandroid community...

And, yet, Apple comes out with a single new platform every summer like clockwork, and still manages to outsell, outperform, and innovate beyond all of the other manufacturers. Those are facts born by the financials, adoption rates, and customer sats. If you don't want the iPhone, don't buy it. If you bought the iPhone and don't like it, take it back. The only people that perceive the Antennagate as a real issue are the Fandroids that desperately want to strike down the industry's leading company, Apple. It's always easy to take shots at the leader...

Teddy Roosevelt once conveyed the following wisdom, which holds true today about Apple's innovation and occasional slight missteps:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Whhhoooaaaa That's deep...but very true indeed
post #75 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Apple and the iPhone have a bad image with the normal general public right now. Only Apple fanbois are walking around with a "just get a case" mentality. The iPhone 4 is perceived as not being able to hold calls, whatever the reason. This makes Android look like a pretty good option.

Okay Apple apologists. Your turn now.

Ok. It's flame bait but I'll bite

True Apple fanbois are walking around with "use it naked" mentality. Since the vast majority of actual iPhone 4 owners are not experiencing signal issues, they don't need a case unless they are a klutz and plan to drop their iPhone onto asphalt.

Why is the iPhone 4 perceived as not being able to hold calls? Dropped calls are not significantly worse on the iPhone 4 compared to the 3GS, based on AT&T's call drop data. This was revealed during Apple's Friday press conference.

Which video on the web makes Android look like a good option? The ones where you could simply hold an Android phone with a normal grip and watch all of the bars disappear in a matter of seconds? Yeah, real good option. Nice try.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #76 of 84
A large asteroid could hit apple headquarters too. Could doesn't count.
post #77 of 84
I recently heard a rumour that an asteroid will hit Cupertino shortly.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #78 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I recently heard a rumour that an asteroid will hit Cupertino shortly.

Oh, you just explained the new data center!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #79 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

A large asteroid could hit apple headquarters too. Could doesn't count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I recently heard a rumour that an asteroid will hit Cupertino shortly.

All the Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
Layin' in the sun,
Talkin' 'bout the things
They woulda coulda shoulda done...
But those Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
All ran away and hid
From one little Did.
-Shel Silverstein-

P.S. @Dorotea where have you been! You've been here for years, but with few posts.

I had a friend, Ray, like you-- while others (including me) were babbling on (talking, without listening), Ray didn't say anything! Then, Ray would say something-- everybody would stop and pay attention!

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #80 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Then why are you spending so much energy whining about the iPhone? Nothing is perfect. Even with its flaws - which you are parading constantly - it's your first choice. So what's with all the whining?

I'm adding you to my ignore list now (I rarely do this with anyone) because the abortion of intelligence you constantly post has become THAT repulsive to read.

And in case you think I'm making stuff up (because you're mentally incapable of seeing what I'm talking about) here's my response to the nonsense posted from that single sentence:
I don't spend any energy whining about the iphone. This is bullshit you've made up because if you're not praising it, you MUST be whining about it.
I don't "parade constantly" the flaws of the iphone, but rather I've joined in the discussions on a SINGLE flaw that is only considered a flaw in the correct circumstances.
Finally, when the hell have I ever said the iphone is my first choice!?!?!?

You think using strawman arguments is a way to have a discussion on anything. That every discussion must turn into an argument, and you must be a winner (or at least, you want so badly to feel like you've one an argument.)

The internet is a perfect place for you I guess.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Strong quarter expected, but Apple's 'antennagate' could hurt iPhone sales