or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple executives dodge data center, FaceTime questions in earnings call
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple executives dodge data center, FaceTime questions in earnings call

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
As usual, Apple's executives kept close to a carefully prepared script on the company's stellar financial results, being careful not to reveal too much about the company's future plans, including its data center cloud services and broader open support for FaceTime video calling.

When asked about progress on the company's $1 billion data center being built in North Carolina, Peter Openheimer only said, "North Carolina is on schedule. Everything is going fine."

"We expect to complete it by the end of the calendar year, and begin to use it," Openheimer added when asked for details on the project's schedule.

Nothing else slipped about the new 500,000 square foot project, which is five times larger than the company's current data center in Newark, California. The new center is expected to be used to expand the company's rapidly growing iTunes music, apps, and iBooks stores as well as handling its online cloud services such as MobileMe.

The new data center is also rumored to be related to Apple's years old project code named iTunes Replay, an effort to deliver media streaming of users' own content to their mobile devices directly from Apple's servers, allowing them to watch movies and TV and listen to music from any device without having to store large download files.

Such a service is also rumored to support a new low cost, iOS-based replacement to Apple TV, enabling a diskless device that streams content from the cloud rather than storing and syncing download files locally. Having the project completed at the end of the year suggests that Apple may launch the service early next year.

Apple isn't interested in talking about it because the company faces the potential for competition in direct media streaming from Google and others. Additionally, a consortium of companies including Sony, Samsung, Nokia, Adobe, Cisco, HP, Toshiba, Microsoft and Intel are backing a new DRM scheme called UltraViolet that is intended to allow users to stream protected content to mobile devices from the cloud.

DéjÃ* vu-RM: Apple vs UltraViolet

Apple isn't affiliated with UltraViolet, which will apparently prevent the new content from working with the installed base of 100 million iOS devices sold, including the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Apple's close ally Disney is also refraining to join the program, which is being supported by other big studios including NBC Universal, Fox, Paramount, and Warner Bros.

Microsoft's previous efforts to build a consortium around its PlaysForSure music DRM (which was supported by many of the same hardware makers, including Sony, Samsung, Nokia and Toshiba, as well as the music studios) failed after consumers selected Apple's iPod and iTunes (which didn't support PlaysForSure) over devices and music stores affiliated with the PlaysForSure logo.

Microsoft started over in 2007 with PlayReady, a recycled version of the company's DRM-consortium efforts based on Silverlight. While supported by mobile giant Nokia and others, the PlayReady format is similarly not supported by Apple's iPod and iOS devices and therefore failed to gain much traction. The growth of media DRM supported by Adobe's Flash platform has similarly been thwarted on mobile devices because Apple's iOS does not support Flash.

Sony also failed in its short-lived attempt to create its own ATRAC DRM system branded Connect, which sold protected media files that only worked on Windows PCs and Sony hardware including the PSP and some Sony Ericsson phones.

Real Networks similarly floated its own DRM scheme named Helix Harmony that attempted to become popular by promising compatibility with iPod users, but Apple blocked the system from working on its devices. That move enabled Apple to push studios toward DRM-free tracks, as there was no remaining DRM system they could use to sell music that could be played back by the crucial market of iPod users.

No time for FaceTime

Another topic Apple executives didn't want to discuss was the future of FaceTime, a primary feature of iPhone 4. Currently, FaceTime only works between iPhone 4 users, but chief executive Steve Jobs said Apple would release the specification openly for other companies to adopt. It's also widely expected that Apple will add FaceTime compatibility with its desktop iChat AV program, enabling Mac users to initiate video calls with iPhone 4.

When asked about how and when Apple planned to release FaceTime as an open standard, and whether the company would support FaceTime calls from Windows PCs and Macs, chief operations officer Tim Cook said he wanted to focus on financial questions in order to make sure those were all answered.

"Punting that one for another day," Cook replied.
post #2 of 35
That is training to dodge questions that they obviously can't answer.

As to FaceTime, if people can't see where that is going then they might as well take a dirt nap.



Dave
post #3 of 35
Let them have UltraViolet. I don't suspect Apple is worried about yet another attempt at a new DRM to clog things up. So far Apple's approach seems to work well with music (little or none now) and movies work quite well and unintrusivly.
post #4 of 35
Wow, AI: Are you guys making a separate story of just about every sentence of the answers in the Q&A portion of the earnings call!?

You could easily bundle these into one or two stories. (Unless, of course, someone is getting paid by the story. )
post #5 of 35
Quote:
Another topic Apple executives didn't want to discuss was the future of FaceTime, a primary feature of iPhone 4. Currently, FaceTime only works between iPhone 4 users, but chief executive Steve Jobs said Apple would release the specification openly for other companies to adopt. It's also widely expected that Apple will add FaceTime compatibility with its desktop iChat AV program, enabling Mac users to initiate video calls with iPhone 4.

FaceTime for iPod Touch and Macs is coming no questions about. I want to see FaceTime as part of AppleTV somehow. Making and receiving video calls using TV will big hit if done right.
post #6 of 35
I thought I'd go looking how the Data Center is progressing from Google Earth, but apparently Apple can not only hide new products and software features but to hide a whole data center. All that is visible off Startown Road is the access road to the new facility the actual site location is hidden by a several year old Sat. Photo. Check it out.

Apple, Inc, 6081 Startown Road, Maiden, NC 28650-8772

Latitude: 35°35'20.30"N
Longitude: 81°15'34.52"W

Also the Address listed comes up on the wrong side of the divided highway but the Co-ordinates point to the middle of where the data center should be.
KennDDS
Reply
KennDDS
Reply
post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

I thought I'd go looking how the Data Center is progressing from Google Earth, but apparently Apple can not only hide new products and software features but to hide a whole data center. All that is visible off Startown Road is the access road to the new facility the actual site location is hidden by a several year old Sat. Photo. Check it out.

Apple, Inc, 6081 Startown Road, Maiden, NC 28650-8772

Latitude: 35°35'20.30"N
Longitude: 81°15'34.52"W

Also the Address listed comes up on the wrong side of the divided highway but the Co-ordinates point to the middle of where the data center should be.

To my knowledge, Google Earth isn't entirely up-to-date. For example, it still shows an empty lot and two-lane road in front of our addition, when there's been a restaurant in that open lot for a few years and the road has been 4 lanes for about 8 months.
post #8 of 35
Facetime will have many applications and uses going forward. No comments or info mentioned as an earnings announcement is not the place to hype new products.
Be patient, APPLE never disappoints only enthuses.
post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

To my knowledge, Google Earth isn't entirely up-to-date. For example, it still shows an empty lot and two-lane road in front of our addition, when there's been a restaurant in that open lot for a few years and the road has been 4 lanes for about 8 months.

But if you look at Google Earth the Paved Entry road is visible off Startown Road and it's less than a year old but how convenient the adjacent photo image that contains the Data Center was not updated. You'd think Eric Schmidt would want to expose Apple's secret.
KennDDS
Reply
KennDDS
Reply
post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

That is training to dodge questions that they obviously can't answer.

As to FaceTime, if people can't see where that is going then they might as well take a dirt nap.



Dave

If you mean that FaceTime is meant to be the future of how we make calls I completely agree. It seems that Apple is actively working to destroy the telcos. God help them if there is a day of ubiquitous wifi.
post #11 of 35
All this DRM bollocks wouldn't be necessary if the content owners would provide a way to get the content where you want, in a convenient way online and at a fair price.

The example given at the Steve Jobs interview at All Things D, whereby there was a lady who had bought Up on BluRay, but couldn't put the provided DVD into a format that would play on her iPad effectively incentivised just downloading a version with the DRM (copy protection) removed.

I used to download from Napster in 2000 because there wasn't any way to get music over the web which is how I wanted to get it. As soon as a legal way became available through iTunes, I stopped completely. I know I shouldn't have downloaded from Napster and it's nonesense to say "I had no choice", but I think it shows when there is real demand for something, people will take the legal option if it's available.
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Let them have UltraViolet. I don't suspect Apple is worried about yet another attempt at a new DRM to clog things up. So far Apple's approach seems to work well with music (little or none now) and movies work quite well and unintrusivly.

If google jumps on board this will ruin digital content. People aren't going to chuck their devices for a new age of DRM, just going to push more people to be tempted by piracy. Execs just don't get it, no wonder Apple has had so little trouble cleaning house all these years.
post #13 of 35
why should apple divulge any information other than what is legally required?
post #14 of 35
This data center is very impressive

Giovanni B. Saccone
Creativity is just connecting things (Steve Jobs)
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

Reply

Giovanni B. Saccone
Creativity is just connecting things (Steve Jobs)
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

Reply
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow, AI: Are you guys making a separate story of just about every sentence of the answers in the Q&A portion of the earnings call!?

You could easily bundle these into one or two stories. (Unless, of course, someone is getting paid by the story. )

Awe don't be hard on them. I like the finer details.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
post #16 of 35
Why are you surprised? What are Apple's future plans for FaceTime? Jobs told you what you know. When we get Facetime for Mac Desktop (likely iChat), Android, Windows, Zondar OS, then we'll announce it. Who the hell do you think we are?
post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

All this DRM bollocks wouldn't be necessary if the content owners would provide a way to get the content where you want, in a convenient way online and at a fair price.

The example given at the Steve Jobs interview at All Things D, whereby there was a lady who had bought Up on BluRay, but couldn't put the provided DVD into a format that would play on her iPad effectively incentivised just downloading a version with the DRM (copy protection) removed.

I used to download from Napster in 2000 because there wasn't any way to get music over the web which is how I wanted to get it. As soon as a legal way became available through iTunes, I stopped completely. I know I shouldn't have downloaded from Napster and it's nonesense to say "I had no choice", but I think it shows when there is real demand for something, people will take the legal option if it's available.

you replied to you own post
nice
many of us traded live un released shows ..
anything else is theft ..no matter how f..d up the music company's are...

just say your sorry and move on

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

I thought I'd go looking how the Data Center is progressing from Google Earth, but apparently Apple can not only hide new products and software features but to hide a whole data center. All that is visible off Startown Road is the access road to the new facility the actual site location is hidden by a several year old Sat. Photo. Check it out.

Apple, Inc, 6081 Startown Road, Maiden, NC 28650-8772

Latitude: 35°35'20.30"N
Longitude: 81°15'34.52"W

Also the Address listed comes up on the wrong side of the divided highway but the Co-ordinates point to the middle of where the data center should be.

Big deal. It's not going to look a whole lot different from this video earlier in the year, except the building will be pretty much buttoned up by now, some of the construction trailers will have been moved out and landscaping will be underway. The real activity will be taking place under roof as the data modules are spotted and hooked up and HVAC is completed and ramped up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDXSS...=youtube_gdata

Nothing more to see here, folks. Kindly move along.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #19 of 35
jgb
Reply
jgb
Reply
post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

The example given at the Steve Jobs interview at All Things D, whereby there was a lady who had bought Up on BluRay, but couldn't put the provided DVD into a format that would play on her iPad effectively


Why doesn't Apple support standard formats on the iPad?
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

many of us traded live un released shows ..
anything else is theft ..no matter how f..d up the music company's are...


What you were doing was theft, pure and simple.
post #22 of 35
The coasts always get the data centers

Though I gotta say I'm excited for iTunes cloud and especially the new apple TV. If it is what I think it is it's gonna be awesome!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

FaceTime for iPod Touch and Macs is coming no questions about. I want to see FaceTime as part of AppleTV somehow. Making and receiving video calls using TV will big hit if done right.

I want Ponies, too.

until TVs come bundled with mics and webcams, this ain't gonna happen. Every rumor regarding AppleTV is about reducing footprint and features and moving it to a cloud experience. That massive (and short) HDMI cable connecting AppleTV to TV pretty much makes Facetime camera and mic on the device a non-starter.

Better to have 'wireless' streaming of video from a iPhone4 to your AppleTV (sort of like streaming audio from iTunes to a 'remote' set of AppleTV connected speakers). Even that seems to be crazy silly (upstreaming that much bandwidth from a iPhone/PodTouch).

Finally, The Retina Display technology precludes this... I see Apple pushing Facetime to be a iPad big seller (think Xmas selling season), especially if they come out with different form factors (5/7/10/13/15/17 diagonals... the latter 3 being 'iPad Pro' (and/or macbook Air2'). Most reviewers say, that unless you have a 60" or larger TV, the relative resolution of the iPhone 4 is 'better' and the age of 'personal TV' is upon us. (as Retina Display technology costs come down, and you see 200/300dpi move to the iPad, Apple will sell you a 'better' video phone experience for <$1000, than all but the most expensive HT solutions could provide.
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

What you were doing was theft, pure and simple.

no way
someone got some aud recorded shows or soundboards

and we traded them and those only
mainly non released non studio shows
pink floyd the who hendrix
doors early bob dylan

hendrix family contacted me and asked for any shows i had so they could add or fix there raw tapes
i gave them 18 shows
i gave roger waters 9 shows from 1970 jan to march 3

gilmour did not like what we did
nick mason is the one who gave all the sound board pink floyd recorded archives away for free in the late 1980's to his car racing buddies


i own 5000 cds i bought
i own 400 dvds i bought
i own 600 tv shows from itunes
i own 4 movies from itunes
i own 900 plus songs from itunes
i own over 200 discs os SW
all of this i paid for .

i RIAA sued me twice and lost , they applauded me in the end and gave me some cool neil young rare boots they owned <<live at massy >>

i am not a theif
if an artist puts sounds in the air and does not put those chords for sale
i may want to hear that show
my first ipod only contained live pink floyd boots AIFF stlye

get your facts right

peace 9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Why doesn't Apple support standard formats on the iPad?

so for now it will be crippled a little . sorry ..
but we have already got pages going so it should be fully open soon
2013 maybe

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

no way
someone got some aud recorded shows or soundboards

and we traded them and those only
mainly non released non studio shows
pink floyd the who hendrix
doors early bob dylan

hendrix family contacted me and asked for any shows i had so they could add or fix there raw tapes
i gave them 18 shows
i gave roger waters 9 shows from 1970 jan to march 3

gilmour did not like what we did
nick mason is the one who gave all the sound board pink floyd recorded archives away for free in the late 1980's to his car racing buddies


i own 5000 cds i bought
i own 400 dvds i bought
i own 600 tv shows from itunes
i own 4 movies from itunes
i own 900 plus songs from itunes
i own over 200 discs os SW
all of this i paid for .

i RIAA sued me twice and lost , they applauded me in the end and gave me some cool neil young rare boots they owned <<live at massy >>

i am not a theif
if an artist puts sounds in the air and does not put those chords for sale
i may want to hear that show
my first ipod only contained live pink floyd boots AIFF stlye

get your facts right

peace 9

This is probably your best post.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

no way
someone got some aud recorded shows or soundboards

and we traded them and those only
mainly non released non studio shows
pink floyd the who hendrix
doors early bob dylan

hendrix family contacted me and asked for any shows i had so they could add or fix there raw tapes
i gave them 18 shows
i gave roger waters 9 shows from 1970 jan to march 3

gilmour did not like what we did
nick mason is the one who gave all the sound board pink floyd recorded archives away for free in the late 1980's to his car racing buddies


i own 5000 cds i bought
i own 400 dvds i bought
i own 600 tv shows from itunes
i own 4 movies from itunes
i own 900 plus songs from itunes
i own over 200 discs os SW
all of this i paid for .

i RIAA sued me twice and lost , they applauded me in the end and gave me some cool neil young rare boots they owned <<live at massy >>

i am not a theif
if an artist puts sounds in the air and does not put those chords for sale
i may want to hear that show
my first ipod only contained live pink floyd boots AIFF stlye

get your facts right

peace 9

Ahh, to wish Waters and Gilmour could have mended the ways to give the world some more of Pink Floyd. It sounds like you've had some memorable experiences in life. Best wishes.
post #28 of 35
Along with metal cases and exposed antennas, I'm afraid this is yet another illustration that those high up at Apple still don't 'get' radio.

Quote:
The new data center is also rumored to be related to Apple's years old project code named iTunes Replay, an effort to deliver media streaming of users' own content to their mobile devices...

Unless someone lives in a small town or rural area, there's not enough cellular bandwidth in the spectrum to stream all this media to millions of mobile devices. If we want to listen to music or video on the go, we're going to have to load it on our mobile devices in advance. Cellular companies know this. That's why they're ending their unlimited data plans.

There is a solution, although I've yet to hear anyone discuss it. Digital television has lots of bandwidth, high antennas and power, and permits subchannels that they're currently using for less popular TV programming. There's no reason those data channels couldn't be used to broadcast any sort of data to mobile devices. People could watch popular events live or their smart phones could be smart enough to record for latter playback. And since data is data, music, magazines and newspapers could be distributed that same way.

The key is using digital TV as a broadcast medium for data in wide demand, freeing two-way cellular data spectrum for individual use. To give one example, it's be far more efficient to distribute a World Series game to everyone in a city via a single TV subchannel, than to send it thousands of times separately to individuals via cellular channels.

If Apple and others don't begin to think creatively about using the radio spectrum sensibly and efficiently, they're going to find the market for their new mobile devices drying up as cellular channels in major cities choke with excessive data demands. And if spectrum isn't used wisely, it'll have to be rationed with higher prices, reducing the potential market for iPhones.

--Michael W. Perry, author of Untangling Tolkien
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow, AI: Are you guys making a separate story of just about every sentence of the answers in the Q&A portion of the earnings call!?

You could easily bundle these into one or two stories. (Unless, of course, someone is getting paid by the story. )

Additional page views when you are paid by the click are a serious incentive for parsing stories into tiny bits of information. Gotta keep the advertisers happy!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

I thought I'd go looking how the Data Center is progressing from Google Earth, but apparently Apple can not only hide new products and software features but to hide a whole data center. All that is visible off Startown Road is the access road to the new facility the actual site location is hidden by a several year old Sat. Photo. Check it out.

Apple, Inc, 6081 Startown Road, Maiden, NC 28650-8772

Latitude: 35°35'20.30"N
Longitude: 81°15'34.52"W

Also the Address listed comes up on the wrong side of the divided highway but the Co-ordinates point to the middle of where the data center should be.

Nothing on Bing maps either, even though it says it's a 2010 shot.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

But if you look at Google Earth the Paved Entry road is visible off Startown Road and it's less than a year old but how convenient the adjacent photo image that contains the Data Center was not updated. You'd think Eric Schmidt would want to expose Apple's secret.

I think they will 'erase' anything requested of them.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquia33 View Post

Here is a video from Feb.
http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/a...e-idatacenter/

One can imagine the artificial intelligence bubbling just under the surface...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #33 of 35
That the media likes to hammer Apple about details on future products when they do these earning calls? Even after all these years, and all the mud slinging they like to hurl at Apple, they still act like kids trying to find out what going to be under the tree this Christmas. I never noticed this with Google or Microsoft, or even Dell. (Ok there's nothing exciting about Dell, but I put them in there because they "make" competing products).

The irony. "You guys suck and so does your phone!!!" "Hey, what are you working on there? Is this the line for it? Cool."
post #34 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerofTruth View Post

That the media likes to hammer Apple about details on future products when they do these earning calls? Even after all these years, and all the mud slinging they like to hurl at Apple, they still act like kids trying to find out what going to be under the tree this Christmas. I never noticed this with Google or Microsoft, or even Dell. (Ok there's nothing exciting about Dell, but I put them in there because they "make" competing products).

The irony. "You guys suck and so does your phone!!!" "Hey, what are you working on there? Is this the line for it? Cool."

They are all shameless dorks. With news outlets all offering iPhone apps these days, they are all far too eager to constantly hawk their app and have feature stories on the iPhone... constantly! Don't get me wrong, I love it and so does Apple's bottom line. And the beautiful thing is there is literally no competition in sight. Not Microsoft, not Google... nothing.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #35 of 35
All Past 2010 Full Record USA B2C Data
File Size: 12 gb - Compressed RAR Unique
EMAIL Record Count: Over 200+ Million!
Target Audience: Debt, Financial,Free

Gifts,Education,Payday,Mortgage,Auto Loan & More.
Only For $500
Email:convocash@gmail.com
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple executives dodge data center, FaceTime questions in earnings call