or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unsure when it will be able to meet demand for iPhone 4, iPad

Apple unsure when it will be able to meet demand for iPhone 4, iPad

post #1 of 79
As Apple continues to face overwhelming demand for the iPhone 4 and iPad, selling every unit it can make, the company remains unsure when its production capacity can find equilibrium.

Both the iPad and iPhone 4 have been consistently sold out since each product launched last quarter. The company announced Tuesday that it has sold 3.27 million iPads thus far, while the launch of the iPhone 4 managed to sell 1.7 million handsets in its first three days of availability.

Apple executives were asked during the company's quarterly earnings conference call on Tuesday when they believe Apple will be able to produce enough hardware to meet consumer demand. Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook said he simply does not know.

"Currently we are still selling both of those products as fast as we can make them," Cook said. "So we are still quoting longer lead times than we'd like, and we're working around the clock to try to get supply/demand in balance. In the scheme of things, its' a good problem to have."

Cook said he doesn't view high demand as a "problem," ever, but he remains confident that the company will be able to increase capacity to meet consumer desire for the iPad. He indicated that Apple was genuinely surprised by consumer demand for the iPad, and initially was producing too few to meet the market demand that swelled and persisted after the device's April launch.

Apple has been "pleasantly surprised," Cook said, at how fast the iPad has sold to start. He said the product is not following a typical early adopter curve -- it's quickly broken into the mainstream.

"I don't know how high is high," he said. "Our gut tells us that this market is very big. And we believe that iPad is really defining the market, and we want to take full advantage of it. And so we are investing enormous time and resource in increasing our capability in getting iPad out to as many people as we can."

As for the iPhone 4, it launched just two days before Apple's fiscal quarter concluded on June 26. He said the company is still ramping up and increasing volume, but there is not one specific thing that has stood in the way of ramping up production.

"It's just a matter of getting up the ramp," Cook said.

The COO also said that Apple does not create artificial product shortages in order to generate hype. Apple is truly struggling to meet consumer demand for its products, and would prefer to sell as many as it could.

"The demand for iPhone 4 is absolutely stunning," Cook said. "And we are working very hard to catch up with demand, and I can't predict when that will occur, but I can tell you that everyone is working very hard to do it."
post #2 of 79
"it's absolutely stunning", alright.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #3 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"The demand for iPhone 4 is absolutely stunning," Cook said. "And we are working very hard to catch up with demand, and I can't predict when that will occur, but I can tell you that everyone is working very hard to do it."

Even all the negative and ridiculous press releases lately didn't help to diminish iP4 demand.
Well, seems like I will still have to wait for my device. I am so looking forward to get my hands on this beauty.
post #4 of 79
Apple owns PR. They can simply ignore it, create their own, and then just run with it. THAT is how strong their products are across the board.

This decade belongs to Apple. They've got the game all figured out for the next several years. Easy.
post #5 of 79
I'm personally just thrilled that the iPad is doing so well. We all kind of knew that the iPhone 4 would do well. As much as one might think that Apple may have been holding back product to create artificial demand, at this point it is clear that this is not the case.
post #6 of 79
I came here to read some troll trash. Where are they? I'm so disappointed.\
post #7 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

We're holding back troll content today to create artificial demand.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #8 of 79
Quote:

Ha. Everybody knows that people are sheep and buy apple goods cause they are brainwashed consumer know nothings... who can't even see the price label and make the rational choice of not wasting 10 times more money than in any other label.l.. but people are stoopid, I mean, this is the same generation that ten years ago was spending 10 times more money on Nike shoes just because of the brand, ya know.

(How's that for troll trash? Not enough?)

Bah, iPhone 4 will LOSE bigtime. Cause they can't even build antennas, for chrissakes. How fucking lame is that. They always choose their awful design over usability. These are people who rather have bad-ergonomic induced pains over their lifetimes than conceding their fanatic view over aesthetics. Which is crazy, since all their products are fugly, anyway.

When people know the TRUTH, they will leave Apple, like, 4evah. And then your stock will be worth zilch. ZILCH.

(I can produce this kind of shit forever too...)
post #9 of 79
I got rid of my iPhone for a Nokia.

Well not voluntarily... my 3GS accidentally took a swim yesterday. Now I have an old dumb flip phone Nokia until I can find a new iPhone. I hope they have at least one left between the three Apple stores in town.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #10 of 79
Can't wait to see what other 'new products' Jobs keeps referring too!
post #11 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Even all the negative and ridiculous press releases lately didn't help to diminish iP4 demand.

Of course not. There's a hugh audience that sees this as just an ATT issue since it hasn't had an actual effect on them.

And there's a hugh audience in the US that doesn't read blogs etc. So they have no idea all this fuss is going on.
post #12 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

Ha. Everybody knows that people are sheep and buy apple goods cause they are brainwashed consumer know nothings... who can't even see the price label and make the rational choice of not wasting 10 times more money than in any other label.l.. but people are stoopid, I mean, this is the same generation that ten years ago was spending 10 times more money on Nike shoes just because of the brand, ya know.

Bah, iPhone 4 will LOSE bigtime. Cause they can't even build antennas, for chrissakes. How fucking lame is that. They always choose their awful design over usability. These are people who rather have bad-ergonomic induced pains over their lifetimes than conceding their fanatic view over aesthetics. Which is crazy, since all their products are fugly, anyway.

When people know the TRUTH, they will leave Apple, like, 4evah. And then your stock will be worth zilch. ZILCH.

post #13 of 79
2dbl post
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #14 of 79
Where is the data on other product launches showing initial 4 week lead time - shrinking to 3 weeks - shrinking to 1 week - shrinking to 3 days - etc.

And where are the headlines proclaiming the day manufacturing volumes exactly meet demand?
post #15 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

it hit me that the pin in the ATT bottle neck has always been the touch
so maybe baby
a slew of 3g face time's coming out
ipod touch
nano phone
mbp
mba
atv

apples 100 million itunes accounts can now see each other and call for free over a super sized SERVER farm 3G >>>>4G/7G NET WORK

jrr says it best about the coming apple worldwide domination
>>>
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

>>>>>>>>>>
the iphone ipad and touch are still brand new under >> delevoped products

one ring to bind them >>>mobile me i guess

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #16 of 79
Quote:

I think you were a little too blunt and obvious. It's all about the subtlety. With posts like these, you wouldn't last very long.
post #17 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

jrr says it best about the coming apple worldwide domination
>>>
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

>>>>>>>>>>
the iphone ipad and touch are still brand new under >> delevoped products

one ring to bind them >>>mobile me i guess

So SJ is Sauron then I guess.

post #18 of 79
Pleasantly surprised is how I feel about iPad as well. I knew it would be successful, but I never imagined it would be quite this successful and I never imagined it would create quite such a large dent in the netbook market. Once I got hold of mine I was much less surprised though, the iPad is a wonderful piece of kit. Taking it into work I didn't get much done that day for everyone wanting to take a look and have a go on it. I'm sure quite a few of them will get one now. I did however contribute to the delay of at least one other person though, my first one was duff, thankfully the Apple support people were really helpful in taking it off me and sending me a replacement very quickly.
post #19 of 79
Like Apple can't find another plant to get these iPhones manufactured?! I'm loosing my faith in Apple as it clearly doesn't learn form past mistakes with the rollout of iPhones. They know the demand is huge so why don't they just meet up to the demand. I wouldn't like to have manufacturers that can't meet my demands!

It sounds so not Apple to not have full control over this situation!
post #20 of 79
Quote:

Quote:

Yupiiie. Just mention the devil and here they come!! And UHUUU this is a big rumpling troll. Wonder from which side of the moon he comes.
This is just too funny to be true.
post #21 of 79
i feel like i've read all of this before... in the previous 9 stories about the Q3 call.
i'm very psyched not only about the growth of iOS and it's halo of Mac sales, but also for Apple's inevitable foray into the HTPC/TV.

i don't care if the supply constraints are legitimate or fabricated; everyone is lining up to buy this stuff and my shares thank you all.
post #22 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo Decosta View Post

Like Apple can't find another plant to get these iPhones manufactured?! I'm loosing my faith in Apple as it clearly doesn't learn form past mistakes with the rollout of iPhones. They know the demand is huge so why don't they just meet up to the demand. I wouldn't like to have manufacturers that can't meet my demands!

It's one thing to predict demand for a product, it's quite another to be accurate about it. Yes, we all suspected that the next iPhone would be every much of a hit as it predecessors, but we didn't know how much more of a hit it would be. Neither did Apple, at least not enough to justify bringing an extra factory online for what might be unprecedented demand that never materialized. They obviously have to do something now, however, cause they're losing some sales.
post #23 of 79
Quote:

Thank you. I can sleep in peace tonight knowing you are out there alive and well.
post #24 of 79
Well, and yesterday the first signs came tha iPhone4 will arrive july/aug in Sweden. If they add countries I guess they must be coping somewhat at least.
post #25 of 79
Here's the deal...

Customer buys iPhone 4.
Customer not happy.
Customer returns iPhone 4.
Apple refurbishes said iPhone 4.
Customer buys iPhone 4.
Customer not happy.
Customer returns iPhone 4.
Apple refurbishes said iPhone 4.
Customer buys iPhone 4.

...ad infinutum

Apple cracks product recycling.

post #26 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

So SJ is Sauron then I guess.

no he is beren the wolf shape changer
who while standing in the golden halls of mandos far off in the middle sea is granted a new life for him and his love

balmer is sauron melkor's son
and his trolls do visit here

as in 9 rings
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #27 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Had the same thought. And I hope some of the news means new, not just refreshed or updated.

Would love to see an AppleTV that is better than my TiVo.

Would love to see a surprise that nobody predicted. A game changing one.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #28 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

balmer is sauron melkor's son
and his trolls do visit here

Balmer? You think he's smart enough?
post #29 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Had the same thought. And I hope some of the news means new, not just refreshed or updated.

Would love to see an AppleTV that is better than my TiVo.

Would love to see a surprise that nobody predicted. A game changing one.

Maybe they'll enter the video game console business and compete with the PS3, X-Box 360 and the Wii. (Of course I'm not serious).
post #30 of 79
Quote:

Balmer? You think he's smart enough?

Sauron may be very bad but definitely not as stupid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvsboPUjrGc
post #31 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Sauron may be very bad but definitely not as stupid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvsboPUjrGc

I think he drank a 12-pack of Red Bull before coming out on stage.
And what's with the skipping?
post #32 of 79
Quote:

Maybe they'll enter the video game console business and compete with the PS3, X-Box 360 and the Wii. (Of course I'm not serious).

Cameras used to always be stand alone devices. Now they are mostly just part of your phone. MP3 players too. Maybe gaming will go this way. Not part of your phone, but part of your home entertainment appliance. Apple has already cut a hunk out of portable gaming for itself by integrating it into music players, phones, and pads. Just a thought.
post #33 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Cameras used to always be stand alone devices. Now they are mostly just part of your phone. MP3 players too. Maybe gaming will go this way. Not part of your phone, but part of your home entertainment appliance. Apple has already cut a hunk out of portable gaming for itself by integrating it into music players, phones, and pads. Just a thought.

I think what is conceivable is gaming on a hypothetical redesigned AppleTV running a version of the iOS. Control would be accomplished via the iPod Touch or iPhone. I definitely think they need to bring some of these apps to the TV. All the TV manufacturers are doing it.
post #34 of 79
Quote:

And isn't it the very definition of sh*t - where all kinds of good things go in at one end and once all the good and useful stuff is removed all you have left is excrement.

On the other hand if you're a cow it's all good, and for that anology to work I guess that the cow patties that trolls leave behind serve to fertilize the ground for Apple users? Dunno - but I'm not going any further with this line of thought....

SQUIRREL!!!!!!!!
post #35 of 79
We all know the true reason why Apple can't meet demands for the iPad; it's because of the earlier predictions that it was DOOMED so Apple had to switch the productions to the iPhone 4
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #36 of 79
Quote:

I think he drank a 12-pack of Red Bull before coming out on stage.
And what's with the skipping?

Redbull???? more likely 10 lines of coke.
post #37 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo Decosta View Post

Those clueless idiots at Apple! Don't they know that there are endless sources of manufacturing in countries where the workforce is just sitting around picking their noses and waiting for something to do. And of course the flash makers, and the touch-screen makers and chip makers all have just scads of the stuff sitting around in piles waiting for someone to come and buy it.

Obviously Apple has NO idea how to run a successful business, and all their faithful are faltering in their faith as a result. So not only do we have a frackin' clueless company who couldn't manage their way out of a recession, or post impressive quarter on quarter gains, but now they are causing a crisis of faith among their ardent supporters!

C'mon Apple, Bobo sez all you have to do is go fire up a couple of dozen factories in these poor countries, shiv their lazy-ass workers into line and pour the parts into the bins and kick it into high gear for frack's sake!

Just DO IT!!!!!
post #38 of 79
Quote:

Are you mentally retarded or just chronically stupid? Wow.
post #39 of 79
so is Apple doomed or not? (I can't believe I'm the first to post this)
post #40 of 79
The only word of caution I would mention is that usually the hype (and hubris) is the highest right before the crash.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unsure when it will be able to meet demand for iPhone 4, iPad