or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › T-Mobile, Apple rumored to be in 'advanced talks' for Q3 iPhone launch

T-Mobile, Apple rumored to be in 'advanced talks' for Q3 iPhone launch

post #1 of 72
T-Mobile USA is said to be in discussions with Apple to bring the iPhone to the wireless carrier this fall, ending AT&T's exclusive hold on the handset, according to a new rumor.

Citing a "highly placed source" at T-Mobile, Leander Kahney at Cult of Mac reported Wednesday that the wireless carrier and Apple are in "advanced talks." He placed an 80 percent likelihood that the iPhone will become available on T-Mobile's network this fall.

Apple became interested because of the influence of T-Mobile's parent company, Deutsche Telekom, the source indicated. T-Mobile is the smallest of the four carriers in the U.S., with 33.7 million customers.

As it currently is, the iPhone 4 is not compatible with T-Mobile's high-speed 3G network in the U.S., as the carrier uses the unique 1700MHz spectrum. The iPhone is compatible with UMTS/HSDPA 3G connections at the frequencies 850MHz, 1900MHz and 2100MHz. In other words, the handset would need a new internal radio to work with T-Mobile's network.

Apple and AT&T originally agreed to an exclusive deal through 2012, though it's believed the terms of that contract likely changed over the years.

The latest rumor comes as most expected the iPhone to first head to Verizon, as both The Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg reported this year that Apple is working on a CDMA iPhone that would be compatible with Verizon's network. Unlike T-Mobile's network, which uses the same technology but operates on a different frequency, Verizon is a completely different technology, which would require a more drastic redesign of the iPhone.
post #2 of 72
This actually sounds more comfortable.
post #3 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As it currently is, the iPhone 4 is not compatible with T-Mobile's high-speed 3G network in the U.S., as the carrier uses the unique 1700MHz spectrum. The iPhone is compatible with UMTS/HSDPA 3G connections at the frequencies 850MHz, 1900MHz and 2100MHz. In other words, the handset would need a new internal radio to work with T-Mobile's network.

I'd suggest that T-Mobile change their frequencies
post #4 of 72
But....but....but....but adding a new radio is just SOOOOOOOO expensive! NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!
post #5 of 72
Whatever, forget the 3G for now. I will use wifi and edge in the meantime, as long as ATT has a competitor that carries the iPhone. Since verizon is going to GSM 4G this year I can finally accept rumors of a Verizon iPhone next year. Until then let's at least have T-Mo as an option.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #6 of 72
I'd switch to T-Mobile.

For where I live, work and play around, T-Mobile gave me excellent coverage.

I'd bet $100 that they'd have all you can eat data for lower than what AT&T charged back in the day when they had infinite data plans.
post #7 of 72
Why does everyone think LTE is 4G? It isn't. It's 3.9G. Not a big deal, but just for clarification. Anyways, T-Mobile wouldn't be that hard since it's essentially the same chip, just swapping out frequencies. However I think Apple has their hands full and isn't really dedicating much time to T-Mobile.
post #8 of 72
Thanks to AI for providing the appropriate smiley:
post #9 of 72
I have to think this is not likely since Apple has likely maxed out the potential of the current Infineon chipsets with 5 operating bands: UMTS I/II/V/VI/VIII or (2100/1900/850/800/900), respectively.

They’d need to add band IV for T-Mobile USA. I’d think an announcement of NTT docomo as a carrier for the yet unannounced band VI (800MHz) makes more sense since they planned for it in the iPhone 4.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_fr...bands#UMTS-FDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

But....but....but....but adding a new radio is just SOOOOOOOO expensive! NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!

Says who? Don’t confuse the hurdles with making a CDMA iPhone with adding an operating band to the next iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Why does everyone think LTE is 4g? It isn't. It's 3.9G.

You can call it 3.9 but you can’t say 4? Why not 3.8, why 3.9? You don’t think rounding up 0.1 is okay considering the ‘xG’ nomenclature is in itself BS, which is why T-Mobile is already using ‘4G’ for HPSA.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #10 of 72
I would switch. I could see TMobile undercutting ATT and not requiring a data plan.
post #11 of 72
I've been very happy with AT&T coverage and service. It is on the expensive side though. The new $15 data plans help a little bit, but I'd still consider switching to T-mobile if they can offer a much cheaper package.

AT&T's early upgrade promotion makes much more sense if another carrier is getting the iPhone this fall. The loop-hole with that is I can still sell my iPhone 4 on ebay and easily recoup the cost of the phone + AT&T's early termination fee. I'd probably make money after everything's said and done.
post #12 of 72
80% of statistics are made up, including this one.
wait, 40% of statistics are made up, including this one.
there's a 20% chance that there's an iPhone coming to 80% of the markets in 40% of the carriers.

[how did this guy arrive at 80%?] pulled the number right out of his arse.
post #13 of 72
T-Mobile makes more sense than Verizon because of the similarities to AT&T's network.

Can't wait for the first threads about T-Mobile's horrible iPhone service!!! Woohoo!!!

post #14 of 72
I think The iPhone 4 is compatible with 1700.

Apple asked the FCC not to reveal all details of their application. I think they still have something up their sleeve.

Maybe when you bridge the two outside antennas you will get the perfect frequency
post #15 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Can't wait for the first threads about T-Mobile's horrible iPhone service!!! Woohoo!!!

I'm sure AT&T can't wait either.

-Chris
post #16 of 72
Quote:

T-Mobile USA is said to be in discussions with Apple to bring the iPhone to the wireless carrier this fall, ending AT&T's exclusive hold on the handset, according to a new rumor.

Coverage: http://t-mobile-coverage.t-mobile.co...st_global_cvg#

Click HSPA+ & 3G tab

Click See cities with HSPA+ at the end of the Expanding to 185 million people section

Check personal coverage: http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pcc.aspx
post #17 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberpongo View Post

I think The iPhone 4 is compatible with 1700.

Apple asked the FCC not to reveal all details of their application. I think they still have something up their sleeve.

Maybe when you bridge the two outside antennas you will get the perfect frequency

Check out this from Engadget. I don’t know of a single phone with 6 or more bands and don’t think Apple would only list 3 bands on their website, hiding two from their website, with a 6th hidden even from the FCC data. Nor do I think they submitted multiple devices to throw us off their trail. Makes no sense.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/07/i...-pentaband-3g/ Don’t get me wrong, my share of stock would love for this to happen, I just don’t think it’s likely given all the other evidence we have stating that it doesn’t have the 1700Mhz band.
post #18 of 72
Quote:

Unlike T-Mobile's network, which uses the same technology but operates on a different frequency, Verizon is a completely different technology, which would require a more drastic redesign of the iPhone.

Doesn't Verizon already have some phones which include SIM cards and are capable of operating on GSM?
post #19 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatdoro View Post

I've been very happy with AT&T coverage and service. It is on the expensive side though. The new $15 data plans help a little bit, but I'd still consider switching to T-mobile if they can offer a much cheaper package.

AT&T's early upgrade promotion makes much more sense if another carrier is getting the iPhone this fall. The loop-hole with that is I can still sell my iPhone 4 on ebay and easily recoup the cost of the phone + AT&T's early termination fee. I'd probably make money after everything's said and done.

That may not be possible for much longer. iPhones have a high resale value as a lot of people want to hack them for T-Mobile. Once they can get a new handset subsidized by T-Mobile, the market for used iphones may dry up. Or, at least the price may come down.
post #20 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You can call it 3.9 but you cant say 4? Why not 3.8, why 3.9? You dont think rounding up 0.1 is okay considering the xG nomenclature is in itself BS, which is why T-Mobile is already using 4G for HPSA.

You can call it 4G instead of 3.9G as long as you think 4Mbps is the same as 100Mbs.
post #21 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

I'd suggest that T-Mobile change their frequencies

It's possible this is easier.
post #22 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Doesn't Verizon already have some phones which include SIM cards and are capable of operating on GSM?

You cant simply add an Infineon GSM chip, or in this case UMTS chip, then call it a day. You need operating bands for that network type to make it work, which is why the iPhone doesnt work with T-Mobile USA for 3G (UMTS), only 2G voice/GPRS/EDGE(GSM), and why an unlocked AT&T iPhone will work perfectly on T-Mobile in Europe.

If you look at those World Mode phones offered by US CDMA carriers youll see that they dont include the UMTS operating bands needed for N. American (this affects Canada, too). They are designed for international travelers, likely Europe, but also designed to not detract from being locked into the original carrier.

edit: But dont take my word for it
BlackBerry Tour
CDMA/EV-DO Rev. A 800/1900 MHz
UMTS/HSPA: 2100 MHz [Europe, Asia, Oceania, Brazil]
GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900MHz So this will work on 2G on any GSM network, but there wont be any 3G capabilities.
post #23 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Coverage: http://t-mobile-coverage.t-mobile.co...st_global_cvg#

Click HSPA+ & 3G tab

Click See cities with HSPA+ at the end of the Expanding to 185 million people section

Check personal coverage: http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pcc.aspx

It's pretty bad, isn't it?
post #24 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I'd switch to T-Mobile.

I'd bet $100 that they'd have all you can eat data for lower than what AT&T charged back in the day when they had infinite data plans.

I totally agree with you, before I had the iPhone on AT&T I had T-Mobile and rarely (if ever) dropped a call. I'd jump ship. I even used the iPhone 1.0 (jailbroken) on T-Mobile and it was great.
post #25 of 72
Wake me when they actually launch it.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #26 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

You can call it 4G instead of 3.9G as long as you think 4Mbps is the same as 100Mbs.

I’m all for changing it from some silly initialism to define the “Generation” to a numeric speed value that actually tells you something.

PS: I’d also like the reception bars dropped altogether in favour of something useful or have them outright defined.
post #27 of 72
T-mobile is listed as one of the 10 brands that will disappear in 2011...why would Apple work with them???

http://patdollard.com/2010/07/10-big...ppear-in-2011/

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

post #28 of 72
Why does everyone seem to think that the iPhone will be made available on only one additional carrier?

If exlusivity is out the window Apple should make a phone for every carrier. Or would that be bad for business.
post #29 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I'd switch to T-Mobile.

Heh, not for long. Verizon is announcing their new limited-only data plans following AT&T as expected, T-Mobile will do the same before long.
post #30 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You can’t simply add an Infineon GSM chip, or in this case UMTS chip, then call it a day. You need operating bands for that network type to make it work, which is why the iPhone doesn’t work with T-Mobile USA for ‘3G’ (UMTS), only ‘2G’ voice/GPRS/EDGE(GSM), and why an unlocked AT&T iPhone will work perfectly on T-Mobile in Europe.

If you look at those “World Mode” phones offered by US CDMA carriers you’ll see that they don’t include the UMTS operating bands needed for N. American (this affects Canada, too). They are designed for international travelers, likely Europe, but also designed to not detract from being locked into the original carrier.

edit: But don’t take my word for it…
BlackBerry Tour
CDMA/EV-DO Rev. A 800/1900 MHz
UMTS/HSPA: 2100 MHz [Europe, Asia, Oceania, Brazil]
GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900MHz So this will work on ‘2G’ on any GSM network, but there won’t be any ‘3G’ capabilities.

So how is Verizon any different from T-Mobile USA in this regard? The article basically says "T-Mobile just uses different frequencies, but Verizon is totally different technology." It attempts to paint Verizon at a disadvantage compared to T-Mobile. The other question is does Verizon own any GSM towers in the US?
post #31 of 72
T-Mobile would be nice but you'd still have people complaining about coverage and dropped calls. They'd just be spreading the love.
post #32 of 72
About frakkin time, I have my iPhone with T-mobile right now. The original 2G is what I have, in my house the reception is really shitty, but everywhere else I have no problems
post #33 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

T-mobile is listed as one of the 10 brands that will disappear in 2011...why would Apple work with them???

http://patdollard.com/2010/07/10-big...ppear-in-2011/

They're in a position where they'll give Apple anything Apple wants... to be part of the iPhone economy.

Here's what I envision:
* Pentaband iPhone4 only, perhaps locked into that carrier by virtue of limited band assignment
(t-mobile will allow iPhones now on their network, but you'll only get 2G service)
* Apple has proven they can bring in the bucks and make money in a recession, primarily via their iPhone brand and hardware.
* Same kind of deal as with AT&T, massive profits for both tmobile and Apple, just like with AT&T's current arrangement
* Since it won't be a drastic change (just different carrier), existing AT&T iPhone users won't be tempted to jump (unless they hate AT&T)
* Apple gains marketshare in N.America and cements the "iPhone" standard for profit margins.
* tmobile gets to share spotlight with Steve, and tout it's new HSPA+ network.
post #34 of 72
Not really keen on T-Mobile, but an 80% chance sounds pretty interesting -

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/21/i...ile-usa-in-q3/
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #35 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

So how is Verizon any different from T-Mobile USA in this regard? The article basically says "T-Mobile just uses different frequencies, but Verizon is totally different technology." It attempts to paint Verizon at a disadvantage compared to T-Mobile. The other question is does Verizon own any GSM towers in the US?

Perhaps if you actually tried to participate on these forums in a sensible manner instead of usually pasting silly comments taken out of context youd understand by now that GSM/UMTS networks are nothing like CDMA/CDM2000 networks. That adding a TriQuint chip to add a single radio spectrum is nominal effort and cost that still uses the same Infineon baseband chip (providing you have room for that extra band), but adding an entirely new network type requires many chips, a lot of testing, different frequencies and will not fit in the same place, with the same size and power requirements or design like adding a single radio will, by comparison.

They paint Verizon at a disadvantage because THEY ARE. There is no way to make a single iPhone 4 that can work with Verizon at the same size and power efficiency that it is now, but its possible to swap the NTT docomo operating band for the T-Mobile USA operating band.

Verizon manages a CDMA network. That isnt to say they own, perhaps from an acquisition, some GSM networks, but they dont actively use them for their system. They arent going to either. They are going to be CDMA/CDMA2000/LTE.

edit: Here is a diagram of the 3GS. See the 3 TriQuint radio frequencies, all still using and connecting to the Infineon for 3G (UMTS)?
post #36 of 72
I love their customer service. Their prices are very cheap $39.99 unlimited calls and I pay another $29.95 for unlimited data on my Blackberry. I would love to have an iPhone on T-mobile, BUT I will say T-mobiles network can be very slow. My partner has an iPhone on ATT and when we compare speeds his phone usually beats mine and his 3 G on ATT often has service when I do not. But I can make call over WiFi on T-mobile which is one of the features that I cannot believe ATT will not allow Apple to use on its iPhones.
post #37 of 72
TMUSA doesn't add much to the table except being able to say you have an additional carrier. They have the smallest national 3G network in the country and cede to regional affiliates in parts of the country. T-Mobile is the solution that makes the most if you want an easy solution. Verizion makes a lot more sense for profit.
post #38 of 72
I'm from Canada and I was on T-Mobile while in the USA (had a choice between AT&T and T-Mobile).

I had data roaming disabled though... maybe data wouldn't have worked? I was definitely making calls...
post #39 of 72
T-Mobile is head and shoulders above every other cell carrier in every possible measure - throughput, customer service, the rates they charge - well, everything except for the number of towers.

If you live in a city of any size their coverage is fine. The dead zones out of town and behind big hills obviously are much larger than Verizon's and AT&T's.

I would love to see T_Mobile get the iPhone.
post #40 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

I would switch. I could see TMobile undercutting ATT and not requiring a data plan.

I don't think so. Steve will require the full Monty if you want an iPhone. Remember it's about the user experience. I do see t-mobile undercutting AT&T though.

Best
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › T-Mobile, Apple rumored to be in 'advanced talks' for Q3 iPhone launch