or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple opens new iPad-like MobileMe Calendar beta
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple opens new iPad-like MobileMe Calendar beta

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
Apple has launched its new beta V2 update of the MobileMe web-based Calendar, sending users announcements that allows them to opt into the new program, which brings shared calendaring and an iPad-like appearance.

Opting into the new beta upgrades the calendar data in a way that makes any changes connected to the new format. Users who choose to leave the beta will lose updated changes, as Apple warns in the signup process.

The new Calendar requires users to upgrade to the latest iOS 4 for iPhone and iPod touch, the latest Mac OS X 10.6.4 or the most recent MobileMe Control Panel 1.6.1 for Windows, and demands a modern web browser, minimally Safari 4, Firefox 3.6, or Internet Explore 8.

Apple also notes that the new calendar beta does not support Microsoft Outlook behind a proxy server, and does not support push updates for Windows and iPad users. The iPad will fetch new data when its Calendar is opened, while Outlook running on Windows will fetch new event data every five minutes. Other iOS devices and Mac will continue to receive push updates normally.

Users with lots of calendar data may be warned that their older data will be incrementally upgraded over the next hour.



Looks like iPad

The new MobileMe Calendar features an iPad-like slider control at the bottom for rapidly navigating to future and previous months, and a calendar and notes view that appear to be tear off pads of paper. Also like the iPad Calendar, it presents a Day summary and List view of upcoming events.

MobileMe users can opt in to the new beta by logging in and requesting an invite. The new Calendar update is the latest in an overhaul series that began with Mail. The new updates use the latest SproutCore frameworks to create a very desktop-like experience.


post #2 of 35
I missed using cmd-i and cmd-e to look and edit events on Snow/Leopard's iCal.... Double-click is a hassle to me sadly. I don't think they have it on the new beta version and with the aforementioned warning, not trying the beta after what happened to my mail beta.
post #3 of 35
Has anyone seen an actual invitation? I requested one, but the message was that I'd be contacted "in the coming weeks."
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #4 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Has anyone seen an actual invitation? I requested one, but the message was that I'd be contacted "in the coming weeks."

The invitation is probably just an e-mail. After all, that's what I got for the MobileMe Mail beta a few months ago. It was so nondescript that I don't even remember what it looked like or said. I just clicked on whatever link was in the message. I think I received the invite 3-4 weeks after I requested the invite. It was long enough after the signup for me to forget.

That said, I've given up playing with these service betas. I'd rather wait until the upgrade is publicly released to all.

What does it matter what the invitation e-mail looks like or when you get it? It's not like you have any control over such matters.
post #5 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Has anyone seen an actual invitation? I requested one, but the message was that I'd be contacted "in the coming weeks."

I received mine on Tuesday. It’s a lot more than a simple UI change. They are altering a lot of the backend which, as you can see, requires a manual setup on the iPad to connect the calendars, among other changes. This makes me wonder if it won’t be out of the Beta phase under they A) make it backwards compatible with older calendar software, or B) will wait until iOS version 4.x for the iPad is released. I would assume the latter.

Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #6 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

The invitation is probably just an e-mail.

Yep, just an email, with a follow up with some basic instructions and such if you accept.

Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #7 of 35
Everybody should note that if you're using BusyCal or BusySync, you should NOT opt-in to the MobileMe Calendar Beta, because it will NOT WORK with BusyCal or BusySync.

More details here:
http://blog.busymac.com/blog/2010/07...ndar-beta.html
post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss;

Has anyone seen an actual invitation? I requested one, but the message was that I'd be contacted "in the coming weeks."

I received mine today, but I have a couple of Leopard Machines sync through mobileme, a fairly big number of back events and then sync one of the Snow Leopard machines with google calendars through busysync. Sometimes I edit a bunch of entries with bento.

I think I'll wait.
post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash-reverse;

I missed using cmd-i and cmd-e to look and edit events on Snow/Leopard's iCal.... Double-click is a hassle to me sadly. I don't think they have it on the new beta version and with the aforementioned warning, not trying the beta after what happened to my mail beta.

I tend to use the inspector window (option-command-I) as the editing works much the same in snow leopard as it did in the tiger version. Close enough, but old habits die hard...
post #10 of 35
But does it have a week number?
post #11 of 35
Glad to see the iPad calendar app will be used in MobileMe on the web. That was one of the main selling points of iPad for me. I never could "connect" with the formatting of the iCal type of calendar. It's too sparse for me. But I recognize to each his/her own.

Am patiently awaiting my invitation.
post #12 of 35
I tried it and in my opinion it's very very well done

Giovanni B. Saccone
Creativity is just connecting things (Steve Jobs)
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

Reply

Giovanni B. Saccone
Creativity is just connecting things (Steve Jobs)
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

Reply
post #13 of 35
Hi all,

Anyone from UK been activated with the new Beta Cal yet? Accepted the invite as soon as I saw it but no email yet.

Thanks,

J
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1511 View Post

Hi all,

Anyone from UK been activated with the new Beta Cal yet? Accepted the invite as soon as I saw it but no email yet.

Thanks,

J

Got my email just before midnight. However the email beta invitation took at least 2 weeks to arrive after others had started to receive them. Depends when you asked for an invite, if you were in the mail beta (and perhaps if you actually used it enough/provided any feedback etc if you were) I suppose. It's clearly not just blanket acceptance on a first come first served basis.
post #15 of 35
Can you subscribe to calenders yet? I can't find a way to do it in the current MobileMe Calendar app.

(Note: I've only been using MobileMe for the past week.)
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #16 of 35
I got my invitation a day or two ago, but I am not sure what all the fuss is about because it seems little more than a cosmetic facelift. Sure, they put CalDAV as the underpinning, but how does that help people who need to work with CalDAV servers?

Maybe I am missing something, but there is still no way to get bi-directional synchronization between MobileMe calendar and office CalDAV servers such as Zimbra. I can sync Zimbra with iCal, but that cannot be synchronized with MobileMe and so MobileMe seems pretty much useless for anyone who relies on CalDAV servers.
post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcworth@charter.net View Post

I got my invitation a day or two ago, but I am not sure what all the fuss is about because it seems little more than a cosmetic facelift. Sure, they put CalDAV as the underpinning, but how does that help people who need to work with CalDAV servers?

Cosmetic facelifts can do wonders for usability, and this beta brings additional features as well. I especially like the fast-switching for months in the bottom toolbar, the new task list, and the enhanced day-view. All of these things, in addition to greater calendar support and improved visuals, make up a very good upgrade.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #18 of 35
Why oh why oh why are we STILL waiting for a simple calendar to show yearly view??? Hello people? It's a calendar for goodness sake.
aren't you going to miss being the smarter minority when Apple goes mainstream?
Reply
aren't you going to miss being the smarter minority when Apple goes mainstream?
Reply
post #19 of 35
The ios4 requirement for the iphone is a deal breaker for me (until I get my phone 4). I had to downgrade my 3g as ios4 made it unusably slow.
post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjnjnjn View Post

But does it have a week number?

Exactly! I cannot understand why iCal doesn't have week numbers. Nor iOS4 (or any other version for that matter). I don't see week numbers in all the screendumps on the internet. Sometimes it feels like Apple forgets that the world is bigger than the USA. No offense intended, but a simple thing as week numbers? In Holland we use it all the time at work. I presume Americans do as well? Don't you guys feel this is an omission?

Thanks for any feedback!

Cheers,
PhilBoogie
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
Reply
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
Reply
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarenf1 View Post

Why oh why oh why are we STILL waiting for a simple calendar to show yearly view??? Hello people? It's a calendar for goodness sake.

My rambling on the week numbers applies to your requested year view as well. Of course.
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
Reply
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
Reply
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Can you subscribe to calenders yet? I can't find a way to do it in the current MobileMe Calendar app.

(Note: I've only been using MobileMe for the past week.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcworth@charter.net View Post

I got my invitation a day or two ago, but I am not sure what all the fuss is about because it seems little more than a cosmetic facelift. Sure, they put CalDAV as the underpinning, but how does that help people who need to work with CalDAV servers?

Maybe I am missing something, but there is still no way to get bi-directional synchronization between MobileMe calendar and office CalDAV servers such as Zimbra. I can sync Zimbra with iCal, but that cannot be synchronized with MobileMe and so MobileMe seems pretty much useless for anyone who relies on CalDAV servers.

It is more than a cosmetic facelift. You can now share calendars with others who are part of the Beta program. You can give them read and write or just read only permissions.

Now I no longer need the Snow Leopard Server running the iCal server. It broke when I updated to 10.6.4 anyway. They obviously were paving the way for this. I wonder what the future of the Mac server software is now. They never really seemed to put their full effort into it.

Now the problem I have is that my wife did not request a Beta invite. So I am updated to the new iCal sharing feature yet, I can't share with her because we have to wait for the invite. I wonder if it will really take 2 weeks? Anyone know of a way to force the upgrade?

Just found this on their site:
Quote:
To sign up, go to me.com/calendar and click "Request an invitation." You will receive an email notification when you have been added to the beta (we will add members in the order of their request over the coming weeks).

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply
post #23 of 35
Want week or day numbers, year view, etc., there is a Feedback button in the lower left corner.

Of course you have to have MobileMe in the first place.

For further info, FAQ is a great place to start. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4037?viewlocale=en_US
post #24 of 35
There's no exchange support and worse, it disables exchange support. WTF apple?
Groupthink is bad, mkay. Think Different is the motto.
Reply
Groupthink is bad, mkay. Think Different is the motto.
Reply
post #25 of 35
I'm not a power user by any stretch of the imagination but I do use iCal quite a bit for "to do's and since I got my iPad I've had nothing but trouble syncing between my iPhone, iMac and iPad. Since the beta it's been all good.

I'm not sure what I was doing wrong but the iPad was the culprit. I never had any trouble with the iPhone/iMac. Whatever it was the new beta configuration seemed to iron it out.
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

I received mine today, but I have a couple of Leopard Machines sync through mobileme, a fairly big number of back events and then sync one of the Snow Leopard machines with google calendars through busysync. Sometimes I edit a bunch of entries with bento.

I think I'll wait.

Still have not seen an invitation. I use MobileMe to sync a Mac, iPad and touch. Been a subscriber since Day One. I'd probably wait too, but it looks like I won't have a choice. Strange, eh?

Also wondering when iCal will be upgraded to conform to the new interface.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #27 of 35
Said this before, will say this again. Please update iCal to this as well. Thank you.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #28 of 35
Hey, thats almost the same calendar date footer that I did create in my app last year.

Can I sue them? \
post #29 of 35
I sense a UI change coming on...
(as in, for all OS X or iOS)
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #30 of 35
well, call me names, but as long as .me is not free (or at least acceptable cheap), it's a no-use service for me anyways, even I have several iDevices. For now, I'll stay with the other free services as they are doing almost as good as .me
Enjoy!
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Want week or day numbers, year view, etc., there is a Feedback button in the lower left corner.

Of course you have to have MobileMe in the first place.

For further info, FAQ is a great place to start. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4037?viewlocale=en_US

Thanks for pointing this out. And the link. I did put in the request for week numbers. Actually right from iCal 1.0 Currently I am using iCal 3.0.8 but still no week numbers. Did give feedback through MobileMe as well. I just hope it won't take another xx years before we get week numbers.

Just don't understand why they don't add it. On the iPad there is room for it. On MobileMe there's room for it. iCal as well. Maybe it's a bit more challenging for the iPhone. List view is easy. Day view as well. Month view I wouldn't know where to put the week numbers in. But of course is can be done.
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
Reply
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
Reply
post #32 of 35
All this MobileMe updates are so undewhelming, one can hardly even call them updates to be frank.

MobileMe is one part of apple that requires some injection of talent, flair, and vision. It'not that bad, but it sure is underwhelming by apple standards.
post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Thanks for pointing this out. And the link. I did put in the request for week numbers. Actually right from iCal 1.0 Currently I am using iCal 3.0.8 but still no week numbers. Did give feedback through MobileMe as well. I just hope it won't take another xx years before we get week numbers.

Just don't understand why they don't add it. On the iPad there is room for it. On MobileMe there's room for it. iCal as well. Maybe it's a bit more challenging for the iPhone. List view is easy. Day view as well. Month view I wouldn't know where to put the week numbers in. But of course is can be done.

As with most things that Apple produces, less is better.

As the adage goes, the more choices one has the longer it takes to make a decision.

If I look through my old and new appointment books, I have only found one that has day/week numbers. So I would imagine that it isn't a feature that many people ask for.

In the interim, may I suggest DesktopCalendar. It is a ittle calendar application which changes your desktop into a calendar. It also shows today's date on the Dock or menu bar. And you can select show week numbers*. Great app. Have been using it on all my Macs for nearly 10 years now.

http://mac.sixfiles.com/dbase/files/...pcalendar.html

*To use ISO week number, check 'Use ISO week numbers' on the Week Number preference pane. Lot of customization available.
post #34 of 35
I just received the invitation.

If I accept does this mean I won't be able to sync or edit my calendar from my work account on the exchange server on my iPad or iPhone? Hopefully this a stupid question but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
Reply
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
Reply
post #35 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

As with most things that Apple produces, less is better.

As the adage goes, the more choices one has the longer it takes to make a decision.

If I look through my old and new appointment books, I have only found one that has day/week numbers. So I would imagine that it isn't a feature that many people ask for.

In the interim, may I suggest DesktopCalendar. It is a ittle calendar application which changes your desktop into a calendar. It also shows today's date on the Dock or menu bar. And you can select show week numbers*. Great app. Have been using it on all my Macs for nearly 10 years now.

http://mac.sixfiles.com/dbase/files/...pcalendar.html

*To use ISO week number, check 'Use ISO week numbers' on the Week Number preference pane. Lot of customization available.

Thank you Onhka! I will check out the sixfiles.com site.

Perhaps the companies that I have worked for are not your tipical American companies. Then again; I work for a lot of Dutch companies who do use weeknumbers a lot. So yeah, I Will be happy if Apple implements it as an option. But your view on 'the more choices' is very true indeed.

Cheers,
PhilBoogie
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
Reply
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple opens new iPad-like MobileMe Calendar beta