or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Earnings Preview: Apple to surpass Microsoft in revenue this quarter

Earnings Preview: Apple to surpass Microsoft in revenue this quarter - Page 2

post #41 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Good. Do your job, and spare us, AppleStud (not fanboy)!

TechStud is back?
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #42 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

I have a real job at a real bank where i get paid to analyze companies, i don't need to freelance on apple fanboy sites.

If you are not familiar with Zaky's record of accuracy in regard to Apple your "real bank" should fire you.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #43 of 88
Zaky’s articles are my among my favourite on AI. What’s with all the asshats today?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #44 of 88
Quote:

Who is this idiot writing these analyses? Anybody with an accounting 101 class under their belt could do this.

Yeah, but those charts sure look pretty on my new MacBook Pro...
post #45 of 88
How much more clear can it be that "Antennagate" is a bug on the windshield of the Apple juggernaut.
post #46 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Since when does deserving have anything to do with a company's worth.

Not in the moral sense, but in whether its price to earnings ratio is too high. Since Apple's profits have been less than several other companies, does Apple's share price (and its market cap) "deserve" to be so high?
post #47 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyzaky View Post

Sorry I didn't choose to write a full 350 page dissertation. I didn't cherry pick which variables to use either. This article is one about revenue. Not about which company is more fundamentally sound, or more deserving of the largest market cap in the tech industry.

Correct. You wrote a seemingly in-depth article about revenue (specifically AAPL vs MSFT), in which you admit that revenue isolated is an irrelevant stat. So wouldn't that make this article, in all it's fluffy detail, rather pointless?

Yes, AAPL revenues will likely pass MSFT. That means NOTHING. My only point was that you could have used your space to discuss financial ratios that actually have *meaning* instead of using fluff to prop up a moot point.
post #48 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

That's because you're ignorant, apparently. Try this thing called "Google." It's magical.

Probably better than being just plain rude.
post #49 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

I think you mean touched, as in touched in the head!

At least we know why there was no iPhone 4 recall. Steve Mobs doesn't want to be second banana to monkey boy so we have to keep the numbers up.

Too bad these figures don't include the iPhone 4 and iPad return rates. No one will ever see those. Apple wouldn't want freak out the fanboi community by reveiling how many people return the iPhone 4 that can't hold a call and the flashless iPad that can't render 75 percent of the Internet.

We must be drinking some columbian kool aid to believe Apple is beating Microsoft at anything.

A quick look at the last press conference and the latest quarterly report shows, beyond any doubt whatsoever, how dumb your post really is. The only positive thing about your post is that it shows you to be a good argument for birth control.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
post #50 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnb View Post

Correct. You wrote a seemingly in-depth article about revenue (specifically AAPL vs MSFT), in which you admit that revenue isolated is an irrelevant stat. So wouldn't that make this article, in all it's fluffy detail, rather pointless?

Yes, AAPL revenues will likely pass MSFT. That means NOTHING. My only point was that you could have used your space to discuss financial ratios that actually have *meaning* instead of using fluff to prop up a moot point.

"Objection: argumentative."

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.
post #51 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

That's because you're ignorant, apparently. Try this thing called "Google." It's magical.

So I googled this, and as it turns out, there is really only 1 person who thinks this, the author in several articles.

I liked the article, just question the doom and gloom portion of having Apple in the lead. I have tried to get support from Microsoft in the past, many times. Rarely was I able to get a question answered about hardware, or much less software. I love being able to call Apple and get my issues fixed.
post #52 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

A quick look at the last press conference and the latest quarterly report shows, beyond any doubt whatsoever, how dumb your post really is. The only positive thing about your post is that it shows you to be a good argument for birth control.

I know people can disagree with each other but you think his mother should have aborted him...? Really???
post #53 of 88
Quote:

At least we know why there was no iPhone 4 recall. Steve Mobs doesn't want to be second banana to monkey boy so we have to keep the numbers up.

Too bad these figures don't include the iPhone 4 and iPad return rates. No one will ever see those. Apple wouldn't want freak out the fanboi community by reveiling how many people return the iPhone 4 that can't hold a call and the flashless iPad that can't render 75 percent of the Internet.

We must be drinking some columbian kool aid to believe Apple is beating Microsoft at anything.

Troll. You are relegated happily to under the ignore list bridge to grumble and sputter in obscurity - at least for this participant. Pity you cannot bring any real substance to these posts.
post #54 of 88
Quote:

Who is this idiot writing these analyses? Anybody with an accounting 101 class under their belt could do this.

If, when you bring a critique of an article you presented something other than unvarnished and unsubstantiated personal opinion. After all isn't there a saying that says something about opinions being like some anatomical reference - everyone has one?

ENlighten us then with your examples.
post #55 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I know people can disagree with each other but you think his mother should have aborted him...? Really???

Me thinks you take things too literally ... really. .... btw birth control doesn't automatically mean abortion ... usually means preventing pregnancies in the first place, imo.
post #56 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Nit picking. The point is, you need to tone down the crazy rhetoric if you want to be taken seriously beyond the group of people whose hopes lie in AAPL going up.

There is far more vituperation and "crazy rhetoric" in the so-called professional punditry and finacial analyses (The Street comes to mind immediately) than Mr. Zaky has offered in that article. I understand that you may disagree with him, but present a coherent argument, not diatribe.
post #57 of 88
Quote:

That's not what my readers think. This particular article has garnered my largest audience. It makes for a good story. You miss this point entirely. You also seem to miss the fact that I mention that I'll be taking up the issue of fundamental analysis in future articles. Moreover, you grossly underestimate the importance of revenue as a factor. its a big factor. For while a company, like Microsoft, may have high gross margins, another company can over take it in net profit and growth by posting far more revenue. Just let go of the banana man.
Andy M. Zaky
Bullish Cross
www.bullcross.com
Andy M. Zaky
Bullish Cross
www.bullcross.com
post #58 of 88
Sounds like you've got life all figured out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Me too. It is the single biggest source of pride in my life. Any time I'm feeling down, I just remember that I own an iPhone, and I become proud of myself again.
post #59 of 88
Quote:

I have a real job at a real bank where i get paid to analyze companies, i don't need to freelance on apple fanboy sites.

And I am the owner and CEO of a Fortune 50 company that audits banks (boy have we been busy lately!)

If you belong to any of the dozen or so bailed-out institutions, perhaps you need to bone up on your skills - you're obviously not pulling your weight.

/snark
post #60 of 88
Then I'll be first in line to ditch my crappy Cox DVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

What happens when Apple releases the iOS based Apple TV?
post #61 of 88
Quote:

Me thinks you take things too literally ... really.

You're probably right. An aborted foetus can be pretty funny. Amiright! *high five*
post #62 of 88
Then why do you have time to waste commenting on the boards?

Quote:

post #63 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

There is far more vituperation and "crazy rhetoric" in the so-called professional punditry and finacial analyses (The Street comes to mind immediately) than Mr. Zaky has offered in that article. I understand that you may disagree with him, but present a coherent argument, not diatribe.

I don't disagree with him - what he stated, as has already been pointed out on this thread, was both self evident and totally meaningless. What I posted was also not a diatribe.

Zaky does fine (great) with the financials. He just shouldn't be writing prose. It's crap. As an educated person it was painful to read. Here's an example of why:

Quote:
Steve Jobs and Co. will surpass its archenemies in Revenue this year.
Apple has closed the revenue gap on Microsoft (MSFT),
Apple will actually post more revenue than its rival in the 2010 and 2011 fiscal years.
Apple will have surpassed Microsoft in revenue for the first time in the companys recent history
Apple looks to surpass Microsofts quarterly revenue for the first time in recent history
And even if Apple doesnt beat Microsoft in sales this quarter
Apple to generate approximately $18 billion in revenue compared to a projected $15.16 billion expected out of Microsoft
conservative analyst estimates already put Apple ahead of Microsoft by nearly $3 billion next quarter
My estimates put Apple ahead by $3.8 billion as I expect Apple to record nearly $18.9 billion in revenue.
Apple will likely far surpass Microsoft in revenue for the entire 2010 and 2011 fiscal year
Apple to record $81.6 billion in revenue in 2011 thats about $11.6 billion above the $70 billion Im expecting out of Microsoft.
new age where Apple will regularly post higher revenue than Microsoft going forward.
Apple will be surpassing Microsoft in revenue in the near future
Apple will soon not only record more revenue than Microsoft, but will earn more in net income
the only way Apple can beat Microsoft in earnings is by simply outpacing it in sales

Now, maybe you need that much repetition, but I don't.
post #64 of 88
I think a lot of the anger stems from the perception that Apple got "screwed" by Microsoft in the late 80s/90s and its payback time now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateFlank View Post

\ There is one thing about technology that disappoints me: That is tech-users' inability to get along, see eye to eye, or generally agree about much of anything. Every company has innovations, and every company has mistakes. It's the classic battle of the fanboys, but it NEVER ENDS.... I love Apple. There's never been such a centralized, clean integration of new technology into the mainstream. This is what pushes the boundaries of our lifestyle. Yet I own a Mac and a PC. People are so caught up in opinions that they don't WANT progress unless it's from their company of choice. Every big company has to contribute for things to advance smoothly, or we'll get stuck in a nasty loop.

Financials are fun but they're only part of the big picture.

keep it real AI
post #65 of 88
Building hardware products also allows Apple to make the profit from the hardware as well as the software though. For example with the iPhone, Apple makes (gross) around $600 per phone. MS on its best day will only be making $15-$20 per software license on each Windows Mobile phone it sells. The only way MS's business model works is to get itself into a monopoly position. I don't see that happening for phones, "slates," and other mobile devices the way it worked for PC's.

Quote:

Comparing gross revenues of AAPL and MSFT is irrelevant. No two companies are exactly alike, and yes there are ways to compare two dissimilar companies.

While it is not "inappropriate" to compare a predominantly hardware-focused company with a predominantly software-focused company, it is inappropriate to tout gross revenues (as if it means something) while dismissing this fundamental difference.

In the end, a "fundamental comparison" would recognize that MSFT *can* "push more of its revenue to the bottom line" (i.e. profits) because APPL *must* push more of its revenue to the manufacturers that build its physical products.

AAPL will ALWAYS have a higher cost of revenue ratio because they must manufacture hardware. Unless AAPL can significantly grow its software and/or online services divisions, it will take *significantly* more gross revenue than MSFT in order to be more "profitable" than MSFT.

If you choose to ignore this basic concept when comparing these companies, you should reconsider whether participating in the equity markets makes the most sense.

AAPL has done an amazing job over the years, but using revenues as a measure for "full supremacy" and "dominance" seems like desperate Apple-vs-Microsoft fanboy fare. Both Dell and HP have much higher revenues than AAPL, so what does that mean?

"Crowning the supreme leader of the tech sector as a whole" when you've already arbitrarily narrowed down the list of candidates to the "two tech giants" AAPL and MSFT will certainly take a masterful combination of cherry-picked facts with convoluted, imbred logic.
post #66 of 88
Quote:

What I posted was also not a diatribe.

He just shouldn't be writing prose. It's crap. As an educated person it was painful to read.

With respect, I disagree. You said:

"Really? THAT in response to the suggestion that Apple and Microsoft are not similar companies operationally? Talk about drinking the Kool Aid. This guy is in love."

That reads a bit "diatribish" to me.

As for the quality of his prose? I might agree if this were literature. I find his style suitably serviceable for its purpose. To take him to task for repetition seems carping to me. But, to each his own.
post #67 of 88
Quote:

You're probably right. An aborted foetus can be pretty funny. Amiright! *high five*

You might want to reread my earlier post (amended to clarify what birth control means, imho). also fyi, no "o" in fetus( not trying to be picky) .. lastly I can't see the humor in your last post ... just me, I guess.
post #68 of 88
Quote:

Zaky does fine (great) with the financials. He just shouldn't be writing prose. It's crap. As an educated person it was painful to read.

Lets see your writing shall we? As an educated person you obvious feel not only entitled and arrogant, but that you have a greater mastery of the english language than those around you. I'm interesting in reading whatever analysis you've published.
Andy M. Zaky
Bullish Cross
www.bullcross.com
Andy M. Zaky
Bullish Cross
www.bullcross.com
post #69 of 88
Quote:

also fyi, no "o" in fetus.

It's the Queen's English lad. Your lot only have it on loan!
post #70 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

It's great to see Apple having its day once again, finally. Way back in 1982 I purchased my first Apple product, an Apple II+. Back then there were literally dozens of personal computers on the market, names the younger crowd have never heard of. I looked and looked and looked at most of them. It was plainly obvious that the Apple II+ stood head and shoulders above the rest in quality, features and design. It was also significantly more expensive. I thought long and hard and decided to pay my very first so-called Apple tax. I have never regretted that decision. Not once!

For those who weren't even born then the Apple II+ was headless and shipped with 48 kilobytes of ram. It was a one piece design with an integrated keyboard. The price for this beauty was $1295.00. You used a standard television as a monitor and a cassette tape player to input programs. When the Disk II arrived it was $695.00 for a storage capacity of 150 kilobytes on a single sided 5.25 inch floppy diskette.

To this day I believe Apple products to be superior to anything else on the market.

Same here. I worked for an educational publishing company that was getting involved in software development. We had the Radio Shack TRS-80 model 1, the Commodore 8032/4032/8064/4064 (40 or 80 column display, 32 or 64K of memory) and finally, the Apple II. When the Apple II came in, it seemed obvious that the Apple was the far better machine, even though the Commodore had some features (80 columns, more built-in memory) that Apple didn't have. Apple's ease of use, ease of adding interface cards and documentation were all far superior although their DOS used different commands than everyone else. (Catalog instead of Directory, etc.) I learned Basic from Apple's user guides.

The TRS-80 was a piece of junk. The keyboard had "keyboard bounce" - when you typed, it would inevitably record the keystroke multiple times, so you got "aaa" instead of "a". The Commodores were built relatively well, but when they came out with the Commodore 64 for the consumer market a few years later, the quality had gone downhill. It was a very popular home machine, but they were like the umbrellas you buy from 99 cent stores - you look at them and they break. I remember we had a room where we would pile the broken Commodore 64s against the wall. There must have been fifty of them.

Apple took the lead in creative software early on. One of Apple's earliest programs, a graphics program, was written by the musician Todd Rundgren. And Apple had "evangelists" - people responsible for getting you to produce software for the machines. No one from Tandy or Commodore ever came to see us, but people from Apple came all the time and in those days, if you joined the developer program, you got hardware at 50% off. When the IBM PC came out in late 1981, we added that, but it was never a big seller in K-12 schools because it was so expensive. The original model with perhaps 64K of memory (it might have been only 48K), 2 floppy drives and a 16 color monitor that supported both upper and lower case characters was about $5000 ($12,000 in 2010 dollars!)

A lot of people who constantly complain simply don't realize how much progress we've made. I only regret that Apple can't find a way to manufacture in the U.S. and keep those jobs here.
post #71 of 88
Quote:

Personally, I would like to see the iPhone return rates - just out of curiousity. I don't have one, but my boyfriend does, and his might drop one bar at the most with the "antenna issue," but we live in an urban area with a relatively strong signal. (And no, he is not using a case).

As far as the iPad goes, I don't know what you're smoking where it doesn't render "75 percent" of the internet. That's just ridiculous. I've had mine since launch day, and use it every day, and there have been a total of maybe 10 times where I haven't been able to load something because it was Flash-based. Granted, it varies a lot person-to-person based on what you browse, but 75%? Hardly.
post #72 of 88
Quote:

It's the Queen's English lad. Your lot only have it on loan!

My bad .... if I ever post in England, I'll be sure to do it correctly. lol
post #73 of 88
Quote:

Lets see your writing shall we? As an educated person you obvious feel not only entitled and arrogant, but that you have a greater mastery of the english language than those around you. I'm interesting in reading whatever analysis you've published.

Feel free. There are 1000+ unedited posts by me here. None of them are written at a 9th grade level like your writing. Some were written at a second grade level but that's a whole other question.

But you're using a straw man here - this is not about my writing, it's about yours. You are the one writing an article, the rest of us are just forum posters. And unfortunately, while we get all these articles for free, yours was considerably closer to that in value than most here on AI. You put a lot of words on the page, but nothing of any value. Stick to estimating earnings, that you're clearly good at.
post #74 of 88
Quote:

That's not what my readers think. This particular article has garnered my largest audience. It makes for a good story. You miss this point entirely. You also seem to miss the fact that I mention that I'll be taking up the issue of fundamental analysis in future articles. Moreover, you grossly underestimate the importance of revenue as a factor. its a big factor. For while a company, like Microsoft, may have high gross margins, another company can over take it in net profit and growth by posting far more revenue. Just let go of the banana man.

Cool, glad we agree that this article was intended for fan entertainment and lacks any serious analytical merit.

You missed my point... I agree that revenue is ONE important factor, but when comparing dissimilar companies it lacks meaning unless you consider the many OTHER factors. Comparing revenue a dozen times and throwing in hyperbole about "dominance", "supremacy", "supreme leader", etc does not make it any more significant. Well, unless you're a fan and are still holding on to that "Microsoft must lose" banana that Jobs publicly addressed back in '97.
post #75 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

How much more clear can it be that "Antennagate" is a bug on the windshield of the Apple juggernaut.

Like you, I am 100% certain of this statement. How much more clear can it be?
post #76 of 88
Quote:

Feel free. There are 1000+ unedited posts by me here. None of them are written at a 9th grade level like your writing. Some were written at a second grade level but that's a whole other question.

But you're using a straw man here - this is not about my writing, it's about yours. You are the one writing an article, the rest of us are just forum posters. And unfortunately, while we get all these articles for free, yours was considerably closer to that in value than most here on AI. You put a lot of words on the page, but nothing of any value. Stick to estimating earnings, that you're clearly good at.

Yup you nailed it perfectly. I'm writing at a 9th grade level which incidentally lead to my acceptance into several Top 10 law schools. But hey - who are they to judge when we have Cameron, an educated man.
Andy M. Zaky
Bullish Cross
www.bullcross.com
Andy M. Zaky
Bullish Cross
www.bullcross.com
post #77 of 88
post #78 of 88
Quote:

Yup you nailed it perfectly. I'm writing at a 9th grade level which incidentally lead to my acceptance into several Top 10 law schools. But hey - who are they to judge when we have Cameron, an educated man.

All this credential chest thumping reflects badly on both of you. Andy, you have no reason to be defensive. Cameron, your whole line of attack just seems gratuitous. You are both bright guys and should be above this kind of thing. Why don't you both just let it go.
post #79 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

All this credential chest thumping reflects badly on both of you. Andy, you have no reason to be defensive. Cameron, your whole line of attack just seems gratuitous. You are both bright guys and should be above this kind of thing. Why don't you both just let it go.

You're right.
Andy M. Zaky
Bullish Cross
www.bullcross.com
Andy M. Zaky
Bullish Cross
www.bullcross.com
post #80 of 88
Quote:

That put a fast end to this discussion...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Earnings Preview: Apple to surpass Microsoft in revenue this quarter