or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple officially launches iPhone 4 Case Program

Apple officially launches iPhone 4 Case Program - Page 2

post #41 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Ordered a bumper even though I don't have any problems and have no intention of using it; I wonder how many other people will do the same just because it's free?

Or to protect its beautiful screen.
post #42 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

I wonder how many people will end up buying a case now that it's free even though they didn't experience reception issues

I bought a case from best buy right when I first got the phone 6/24. Never had a reception issue with the case on, though I did play with the phone without the case and did notice a drop in reception when antennagate was first announced!

Now I have a nice free backup case!
post #43 of 77
I have an iP4 since the day of its released that never dropped a call! As an early adopter I've been more impressed by this product than any I've seen in my entire life. And yes, I have experience Proximity Sensor issues, etc.

The bumper is an ugly strip of PVC, an eco-poison AAPL has been struggling to rid itself of for years. And it destroys the appearance of one of the greatest examples of industrial engineering and design I've ever laid my eyes on!

What the heck is AAPL thinking? I'm on record stating today is the lowest point in AAP's history.
post #44 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"You can return your undamaged iPhone 4 to any Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store within 30 days of purchase for a full refund," the site reads. "If you purchased your iPhone 4 from AT&T, you can also return it to an AT&T store."

That last statement implies that you can return an ATT purchase at Apple and you can't. If you bought it at ATT you must return it through ATT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

So this begs the question will I still get the case I ordered in the App or will the refund somehow stop it.

My guess is that the case order will be rejected. They are likely verifying only one per customer and those that bought a case already will have to take the refund because they want the actual stock for others that don't have a case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdasmith View Post

The software checks the IMEI number to make sure you're using an iPhone 4.

And likely (at some point in the game) that you haven't already gotten a case or a refund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemost View Post

Wow - Long time, no ship...
\t
IPHONE 4 BUMPERS BLACK-ZML
Ships: Aug 27
Delivers Sep 1 by Standard Shipping
Part Number: MC597ZM/A

That info would be for a straight up buy. Which you can't do while they have all the supply tied up in the free program. Makes total sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

What the heck is AAPL thinking? I'm on record stating today is the lowest point in AAP's history.

They were thinking that it's better PR and less costly to just give out the cases to those that want them than to try to explain to the masses that the bars don't actually mean squat in terms of your reception and that for 99% of the folks having calls drop it's because ATT in their area sucks.
post #45 of 77
Why didn't apple notify me about this app?
post #46 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

They were thinking that it's better PR and less costly to just give out the cases to those that want them than to try to explain to the masses that the bars don't actually mean squat in terms of your reception and that for 99% of the folks having calls drop it's because ATT in their area sucks.

Well, then please don't squeeze my Charmin!
post #47 of 77
Rock 'n' Roll
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #48 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

I wonder how many people will end up buying a case now that it's free even though they didn't experience reception issues

That would be me

Although i just bought a Gear4 case on Thursday. You know the Thursday before the Friday that Apple announced FREE cases. Kind of justifies spending £19.99.

The Pirates on Ebay must be loving Apple right now.

EDIT

And just before the iP4 haters attack me. No i didn't buy a case because of bad reception. Simply a precautionary measure in case it falls off the mantle piece on to the marble hearth...again!
post #49 of 77
Great.

\

Ships: Aug 27
Delivers Sep 1 by Standard Shipping
post #50 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Ordered a bumper even though I don't have any problems and have no intention of using it; I wonder how many other people will do the same just because it's free?

I'm not having any problems either (I can make the phone lose a bar by holding it with the case off, but it hasn't caused any problems with calls or data). But I got a third party case the day my phone arrived just to protect it. I thought long and hard about taking Apple up on the free case offer, because it's costing Apple profit and I am a stockholder. I don't "need" it, but I want it because I like the design much better than the one I bought. Had the bumper been available I would have bought one. Anyway, that's my rationalization for placing my order.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #51 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I'm not having any problems either (I can make the phone lose a bar by holding it with the case off, but it hasn't caused any problems with calls or data). But I got a third party case the day my phone arrived just to protect it. I thought long and hard about taking Apple up on the free case offer, because it's costing Apple profit and I am a stockholder. I don't "need" it, but I want it because I like the design much better than the one I bought. Had the bumper been available I would have bought one. Anyway, that's my rationalization for placing my order.

We don't have to justify it. It's free. Why not. Apple have done very nicely out of me over the last 20 years. They can clearly afford it. Actually they can't afford not too.
post #52 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

The other cases are:

Apple iPhone 4 Bumper - Black
Incase Snap Case for iPhone 4 - Smoke
Incase Snap Case for iPhone 4 - Clear
Belkin Shield Micra for iPhone 4 - Clear
Griffin Motif iPhone 4 - Diamonds/Smoke
Griffin Reveal Etch iPhone 4 - Black/Black Graphite
Speck Fitted Case iPhone 4 - Black Tartan
Speck PixelSkin HD iPhone 4 - Black
All on 3-5 week ship time.

The PixelSkin states 6-8 weeks as of 7-23-10 2:30pm PST
Mac Fantatic & web designer: http://www.modernmagic.com
http://www.about.me/jeffmayland http://www.modellabs.comhttp://www.primocraft.com2.53/4GB Macbook Pro 15", Mac Mini HTPC, iphone4,iphone1
Mac Fantatic & web designer: http://www.modernmagic.com
http://www.about.me/jeffmayland http://www.modellabs.comhttp://www.primocraft.com2.53/4GB Macbook Pro 15", Mac Mini HTPC, iphone4,iphone1
post #53 of 77
I researched all the cases in this program and am confident that the Clear Belkin Shield Micra Case is the best one of them all.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

post #54 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I am a shareholder myself but $1(Cost of the case) won't make any change in Apple's bottom line.

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

post #55 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

I am a shareholder myself but $1(Cost of the case) won't make any change in Apple's bottom line.

I'm not as sure as you are. A small difference, but not insignificant. The case was to retail for about $30, right? As high a quality as it is, I doubt it cost Apple more than $10--probably less. It was one of the few ready for sale at the time the phone was released, so they had the market to themselves for a short period. Even after, it's fairly unique bumper design which showed off the beautiful back of the phone and Apple name make it a compelling purchase. If only 20% of the first 2 million buyers got it, that's 8 million dollars of pure profit. I am confident this is an underestimate, especially in the long run. I think Apple has given away twice that in bottom line over the rest of the year.
post #56 of 77
Considering how extra-fragile the new iPhone is (due to the glass back), Apple should be giving away a free case regardless of reception issues. The glass back feels great, but really sucks when one bump in the corner cracks the entire back.
post #57 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliphord View Post

Considering how extra-fragile the new iPhone is (due to the glass back), Apple should be giving away a free case regardless of reception issues. The glass back feels great, but really sucks when one bump in the corner cracks the entire back.

Go buy yourself a case that meets your needs
Try to exert a little care when taking your IPHONE out
and HOLD onto your IPHONE when its in your hand

While this phone may be a little more fragile, I would have to say the DROIDS with the 4.3 inch screen are more fragile. Unfortunately we have to make some sacrifices to get a sleek and state of the art phone.
post #58 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by latafairam View Post

Why didn't apple notify me about this app?

That's funny, as they did email me.

[Singing]

"I'm so pretty,
Oh so pretty,
I'm so pretty and witty and....'

[/Singing]
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #59 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by billycuth View Post

So, I have not purchased my iphones yet because I have gift cards, and apparently you cannot buy a phone that is not in stock using gift cards...

My question is, what other cases are going to be included in this? Can someone who has the app let us know? I am fine with a bumper if I can get my hands on one, but would like to know what other cases will be included.

Here is the Engadget Case Article including screen shots of each page of the app. I researched all the choices Friday including phone calls to each manufacturer. I recommend the Clear Belkin Shield Micra Case.

I think it offers the most protection of all the choices.

post #60 of 77
I have to hand it to Steve. Limiting it to black bumpers is a devious/genius way to claw back a portion of bumper sales. No doubt some will pay to colourise the experience.
post #61 of 77
Being handled very professionally by Apple I got my refund. I'm sure we'll see some much more protective and stylish cases in a couple of weeks.
Had Apple had cases available from the start many people would have bought them and their may never have bee an antenna issue.
post #62 of 77
My bumpers shipping to me already. That's pretty quick.
post #63 of 77
I ended up going with the Griffin Reveal Etch iPhone 4 case. I liked the Speck Fitted Case as well, but wasn't sure about the raised diamonds.

Like others here, I do carry the iPhone 4 in my pocket a bit and wasn't sure about the ease of removal from the pocket without the propensity to drop it if it snagged on the pocket material.

One thing I will also say. I was absolutely stunned by the amount of damage that was NOT prevented by my case on my 3Gs. There ended up being two very visible pit-like scratches on the back and the silver ring around the front of the phone ended up being pitted as well. I installed the case the day I bought the phone, and NEVER took it off. Dust is funny stuff.

Now, mind you, these were very small, but surprising none-the-less. None of these markings prevented me from selling it to NextWorth in a "like new" condition, so there you go.

YMMV, but I would be curious about other's experiences with whatever case or bumper they receive from this offer.
post #64 of 77
any chance we'll be able to get non-black bumpers? I want a white one, but it says they're unavailable on Apple's site. If they're not giving them away, why can't u buy one?
post #65 of 77
It seems, Apple's switched all production lines to one single color to fulfill the demand.

Anyway, all available colors were looking really ailing with black model. There's not a single combination, which might have been seen as drawn up thoughtfully form aesthetic standpoint. And this is the most obvious shortcoming of Apple's bumpers. They're looking cheap and rustic. May be somewhat interesting as Apple history memorial, no more.

All cases proposed within the program are just cheap garbage.

Go grab it crybabies; you wanted it really bad.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #66 of 77
Well why don't you get one of the other ones?

It's not like Apple keeps you in a walled garden, they give you a choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

I have an iP4 since the day of its released that never dropped a call! As an early adopter I've been more impressed by this product than any I've seen in my entire life. And yes, I have experience Proximity Sensor issues, etc.

The bumper is an ugly strip of PVC, an eco-poison AAPL has been struggling to rid itself of for years. And it destroys the appearance of one of the greatest examples of industrial engineering and design I've ever laid my eyes on!

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #67 of 77
My black bumper showed up yesterday. I put it on, it's actually a nice case. It lasted all the way up until I went to plug it into my audio deck in my car. Case fail.

I still stand by the fact it's a great phone without a case. Has a good feel to it and I have yet to see a scratch on it even though it's been in my pocket with keys since release. As a matter of fact, I've never gotten a scratch on any of my iPhones since version 1 and they've all lived close to a keychain.

I don't have any reception issues in Phoenix without a case. Signal is strong. No Antenna-gate (ugh) here.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #68 of 77
I'm still fairly happy with my 3GS so was planning to upgrade to iPhone 4 in perhaps December (just before the UK VAT increase! :-) ) however this programme only runs until 30 Sep 10 - is there a new iPhone (I don't think so) or is Apple saying well we know there's an issue but we're doing the bear minimum to appease the customers who bought before they were aware of this issue, if you buy iPhone 4 after 30 Sep and you should know better?

This doesn't sit easy with me and it's a real mixed message. They really need to pull the videos of the other phones off their web site. Fundamentally those phones cannot be held in a way that shorts out two antennas; on the iPhone you can, whilst I don't have any comment on the real-life impact with that they are not comparing apples with apples so to speak.

Going slightly further off-topic and perhaps my little knowledge is dangerous here... but I haven't seen any mention when any of these tests are conducted on iPhone 4 whether then WiFI/Bluetooth is on or off. I suspect the effect on shorting the two antenna together is vastly different depending on whether the second aerial just becomes an extension to the first aerial or whether suddenly you have two (i.e. BT and UMTS or WiFI and UMTS) transmitters competing on a single aerial.
post #69 of 77
Well done Apple, you have done it again. How to come out of complaints with the iPhone 4 itself to complaint with Apples owen brand bumbers!!!!!

Purchased my UK iPhone on day 1 and got a Griffin case to protect it so as I can sell my phone in a year or 2 for top bucks.

However, when Apple decided to give me a case for free, I opted for their own Bumper (no way I was paying £25 for a piece of plactic otherwise). I waited patiently for the 5 week delivery period and as soon as the bumper arrived spent 5 minutes trying to get it out of the packaging without damaging it!

Put it on my phone and went to work......
Got to work where I have a retractable charge cable plugged into my laptop so as not to have trailing cables and... couldn't plug it in due to the thin plastic cover directly around the charge hole in the phone (Griffin don't have this). Got in the Car on the way home, placed the phone in my Belkin (yes they are available on the Apple store) car charger, all seemed fine. Until after a 2 hour drive with CoPilot running the phone died....Why, because it wasn't charging as the port wouldn't go in far enough due to the poor design of the Bumper!!!! Again no problem with the Belkin one.

No for the real issue... I work in Bristol where a Apple Store is located. I toke the Bumper in to get a replacement to be told two things;
1. They are aware of the problem and all of the staff in the store have changed their Bumpers due to their own Docks, Chargers, Stereos, Car units......
2. They cannot give a replacement as it was 'purchased' online

So..... Contact the returns number in the paperwork that came with the Bumper. Explained the issue and the rep agreed it was not ideal. He therefore asked if I could get a replacement, this toke a couple of days. I received and email from him confirming that I COULD NOT get a replacement for my bumper.

Therefore, if you want to get a guaranteed from Apple, BUY the bumper. If it is a gift they don;t have to uphold any warranty issues!!!!!
post #70 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by timshep View Post

Well done Apple, you have done it again. How to come out of complaints with the iPhone 4 itself to complaint with Apples owen brand bumbers!!!!!

Purchased my UK iPhone on day 1 and got a Griffin case to protect it so as I can sell my phone in a year or 2 for top bucks.

However, when Apple decided to give me a case for free, I opted for their own Bumper (no way I was paying £25 for a piece of plactic otherwise). I waited patiently for the 5 week delivery period and as soon as the bumper arrived spent 5 minutes trying to get it out of the packaging without damaging it!

Put it on my phone and went to work......
Got to work where I have a retractable charge cable plugged into my laptop so as not to have trailing cables and... couldn't plug it in due to the thin plastic cover directly around the charge hole in the phone (Griffin don't have this). Got in the Car on the way home, placed the phone in my Belkin (yes they are available on the Apple store) car charger, all seemed fine. Until after a 2 hour drive with CoPilot running the phone died....Why, because it wasn't charging as the port wouldn't go in far enough due to the poor design of the Bumper!!!! Again no problem with the Belkin one.

No for the real issue... I work in Bristol where a Apple Store is located. I toke the Bumper in to get a replacement to be told two things;
1. They are aware of the problem and all of the staff in the store have changed their Bumpers due to their own Docks, Chargers, Stereos, Car units......
2. They cannot give a replacement as it was 'purchased' online

So..... Contact the returns number in the paperwork that came with the Bumper. Explained the issue and the rep agreed it was not ideal. He therefore asked if I could get a replacement, this toke a couple of days. I received and email from him confirming that I COULD NOT get a replacement for my bumper.

Therefore, if you want to get a guaranteed from Apple, BUY the bumper. If it is a gift they don;t have to uphold any warranty issues!!!!!

No case ever made for iPhone has been compatible with any charging, docking, or other accessory. This is a given, and its common sense. The bumper does not interfere with the usage of the Apple charging cable, or the Apple earphones. It even works with most 3rd party audio jack connectors.

It does not work with any other 30 pin connector accessory, because they are all far too thick. Most accessories are using molds from 5 year old iPod cables and have not updated their manufacturing to be more in line with Apple product changes...in this case, in several years.

Nothing out of the ordinary here. Apple product, Apple case. iPhones are best used without any case whatsoever, including the iPhone 4, but if you feel the need to use an unnecessary case, you be prepared for it to not fit anything else in the eco system, after you've effectively changed the entire set of proportions.
post #71 of 77
I have never had any reception problems with my iPhone 4
Still i have several cases, becourse i like them, not becourse they solve problems
my favorite iPhone 4 case
my favorite iPhone 4 case
post #72 of 77
Wow, so I went today to check to see if Apple added any cases in colors I want, and now my phone is no longer eligible for a free case.. isn't that like... impossible?
post #73 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

Wow, so I went today to check to see if Apple added any cases in colors I want, and now my phone is no longer eligible for a free case.. isn't that like... impossible?

Doesn't make sense--the cut off date for the deal was Sept 30. The first paragraph of the article:
Quote:
As promised, Apple on Friday launched its iPhone 4 Case Program, granting free cases to customers who buy a phone through Sept. 30, and refunding those who already bought a protective "bumper" through an iPhone application.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #74 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Doesn't make sense--the cut off date for the deal was Sept 30. The first paragraph of the article:

But on apple's site talking about the deal, it clearly says

Quote:
For iPhone 4 purchases made before July 23, 2010, you must apply no later than August 22, 2010; otherwise, you must apply within 30 days of your iPhone 4 purchase. To qualify for this program, you must purchase your iPhone 4 by September 30, 2010.

sorry, dude. My case came yesterday--I'm very happy with it!
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #75 of 77
I went with a Net Style Case for iPhone 4 from SourcingMap. It is a great case, protecting the the back of the phone as well as the perimeter. i am really happy with it. As Apple launches its free case program http://www.apple.com/iphone/case-program/ , i have ordered an incase case through the app, hoping it reaches in 7 days. The only concern is that this is the first time i use the case from the brand, I am not sure if it is a good case or not.
post #76 of 77
So what's the update on what will happen AFTER Sept. 30? I still think they are going to release the iPhone 4.1 in black AND white with some sort of hardware fix.
Matyoroy!
Matyoroy!
post #77 of 77
Great content and very helpful thank and keep up the good work.
Thanks a lot for the information
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple officially launches iPhone 4 Case Program