or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Excited customers in 9 new countries brave long lines for Apple's iPad

Excited customers in 9 new countries brave long lines for Apple's iPad - Page 2

post #41 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyopiaRocks View Post

iPads! Double Rainbow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

What does this mean??!!!

Look at this and all will be clear.
post #42 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post

Look at this and all will be clear.

Haha awesome. F me that guy was f'ing high off his tits man.

Kids, drugs are bad, mmmkay?
post #43 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by min_t View Post

where are the red t-shirt made in china, designed in CA apple uniforms. would've been cool to see those. guess hk is still independent in spirit.

In most of these countries you have only Apple Premium or Authorised Resellers, not official Apple stores. So the resellers anyway can't copy the official Apple Store uniforms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

And I thought the US had cornered the Apple dork market...

There are hundreds of millions of dorks in Asia. Only they're not considered dorks, just upper-middle class with some cash to spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

IRELAND. Are you in?

He already has an iPad for a while, as do I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

OK, so one of the 9 countries has a way to get on a waiting list, haven't the local Apple divisions heard of preorders?

Due to extremely limited stocks it looks like iPad is not sold online at all so there wouldn't be a country-wide pre order system in most cases. It just depends on the local resellers and how they choose to do things. Remember, and I always make this point at the risk of being crucified for sounding anti-Apple, globally, one is highly dependent on resellers and they are very, very different from how Apple official does things sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

I do believe so, but that was, (I think) because the cellular models are intended for 3G which the other compatible network 2º is only beginning to roll out. So he was right in a way, but ignored the obvious universality of WiFi.

Or it could be that he just dumbed it down to avoid confusing the audience. Who knows...

Hah so NZ has only one major network with 3G? Muah ha ha ha... Sorry, couldn't resist. Middle Earth is cool.
post #44 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

Wow! Very high premium compared to the US prices. The wifi versions here are US $499, 599 and 699, respectively, compared to US $575, 827 and 921, respectively in NZ, based on the prices listed in the link provided by LowededWookie. A difference of US $76, 228 and 272, respectively.

Did you look at the same prices as me, according to Noel Leeming, the 16GB iPad is NZ$799, which before tax is NZ$710, which is US$517, which is an US$18 difference, and the 64GB version is around US$44 different. I would say that is pretty good for a very small market.

Quote:

Do the Apple products brought directly from the US. work as is in NZ? What is the tariff tax?

Yes they all work, you just need a different plug to charge them. There is no tarrif for bringing in computer equipment, you are meant to pay tax for all items over NZ$400
post #45 of 74
Quote:

Ah, but we're used to being mercilessly reamed here. Check out the price of a Chrysler 300 sometime for entertaining reading.

I'm in the 'States in December, so I will be availing myself of the odd doodad whilst there.

If there's an unlocked iP4, and if the antenna stuff has been engineered out by then (big if), it will be tempting to snag a couple to take back, one for me, one to sell.

The company is funding the iPad (for app dev stuff) so I don't need one for myself, but will look at bringing one back to sell if there's demand still.

In answer to the last bit, there's no import duty on personal imports except for certain categories, but many people get pinged for GST. About the only thing that gets in the way in importing CE kit is the different AC adapter/charger spec (we're on 50Hz 240v), but it's easy enough to buy those items here.

I am in Malaysia and have a US iPad. The charger works fine you just need the appropriate Apple "duck head" or just a travel adaptor for the plug part.
post #46 of 74
Quote:

I do believe so, but that was, (I think) because the cellular models are intended for 3G which the other compatible network 2º is only beginning to roll out. So he was right in a way, but ignored the obvious universality of WiFi.

Or it could be that he just dumbed it down to avoid confusing the audience. Who knows...

Well he missed the fact that Telecoms UTMS network is 850, and 1900MHz so a better fit to the iPad than Vodafones limited 2100MHz network.
post #47 of 74
Got to have a play in a couple of the stores in Auckland today around lunchtime. One had a cordon and security guards, but neither shop had any queues. I got to play with one quite quickly and never actually saw anyone purchase one from either store. Maybe the Kiwis are being more cautious. Either that or it's the psychological barrier of the high NZD prices stopping them snapping them up!
post #48 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Hah so NZ has only one major network with 3G? Muah ha ha ha... Sorry, couldn't resist. Middle Earth is cool.

Three now, 1 UTMS only (they are getting rid of thier CDMA-One network), 2 GSM/UTMS
post #49 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by cell-gfx View Post

Got to have a play in a couple of the stores in Auckland today around lunchtime. One had a cordon and security guards, but neither shop had any queues. I got to play with one quite quickly and never actually saw anyone purchase one from either store. Maybe the Kiwis are being more cautious. Either that or it's the psychological barrier of the high NZD prices stopping them snapping them up!

I was in a Noel Leeming today (in one of the non-iPad approved cities), someone was wanting to buy an iPad, the shop assistant told them Apple wouldn't let them transfer a unit from another shop, so if they wanted one they would have to drive to another city to get one.
post #50 of 74
Quote:
Is there a particular state where you would be? You should consider no sales tax states, if possible. [Edit: I just looked at the "no-sales tax" states, they might not be the best to visit during Winter.

Initially we're hitting WA before heading South to CA.

Quote:
More than likely there will be iPhone 4 by then. How much is the price of unlocked iPhones in New Zealand?

We don't have finalised prices for the iP4 yet, although the official release is July 30. We'll know next Friday. The 8GB 3Gs costs NZ$900 unlocked, but I got mine for $0.00 on my business plan. Nice phone too. Still getting used to typing on screen tho'.

Quote:
As to the antenna issue, I do not think they would peerform a major redesign before December. More than likely, if a casing is truly effective, one solution they may consider without redesign is to coat the antenna outer part to render it non-conductive. This would be more like "coating" the exposed antenna with a non-conductive transparent material that will no peel off.

Yeah, that's what I think pretty much. So I'm not holding my breath for the redesign/re-engineer scenario. But honestly, one can hope.

Quote:
Unless the issue persist, most likely any major redesign will coincide with the next upgrade for next year. My guess, one possibility would be a relocation of the "black gap".

Yep, the whole exposed metal antenna revisit would be a start again thing.

Quote:
What sort of Apps are being developed by your company? Are you a programmer yourself?

I work for a communications organisation, a local subsidiary of a multinational based in the US. One of the projects we're investigating porting to the iPad is device to device sync system using WiFi with the ability to resize graphical elements automagically to match the res and screen real estate.

I do program, but only to prototyping level. My area is in creative, which involves writing and some UI design. Sounds posher than it really is tho'.

Quote:
How big is the market for Apple products in NZ? And tariffs for imported goods[?} More than likely, Apple will always have a roll-out schedule that will be staggered. So, if New Zealanders are not too aversed with using adopters, they might be a potential gray market window for every product roll out.

Import duty (tariffs) here is particularly low. NZ has been a free trade leader, with few tariffs imposed on imports. We did that unilaterally and many of our trading partners choose not to follow our lead, disadvantaging our trade balance. But we have been successful in negotiating free trade agreements with other nations, the US excepted. However, there're signs that might change. One crosses one's fingers.

Apple has a market share that's similar to the US in percentage terms with around 90% of the smartphone market in terms of mobile apps monitored, the Mac has around 8% market share, and the iPod rules. So relatively speaking, Apple does well here.

post #51 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I was in a Noel Leeming today (in one of the non-iPad approved cities), someone was wanting to buy an iPad, the shop assistant told them Apple wouldn't let them transfer a unit from another shop, so if they wanted one they would have to drive to another city to get one.

Geez that's stink.

How the hell would Apple find out? Lousy customer service from NL and Apple both.
post #52 of 74
Quote:

Two majors, Vodafone and Telecom, and a newbie, 2º, all offering 3g. But 2º is still testing their 3G in most areas, so really don't count at the moment.

Oops - see this has already been answered. My bad.

As you were.

Hmmm... lots of Kiwis around here. Funny I never noticed that before.
post #53 of 74
Quote:

I am in Malaysia and have a US iPad. The charger works fine you just need the appropriate Apple "duck head" or just a travel adaptor for the plug part.

So you guys also have 240v and 50Hz AC?
post #54 of 74
Quote:

I thought New Zealand is one of the 9 countries listed for this launch? Maybe just through the Apple Store(s) or their local NZ subsidiariesonly for now?

What's the exchange rate to US dollars and VAT (value added tax) in New Zealand?

CGC

Yeah I was under the impression they would be sold mostly by Apple but I guess that meant Apple resellers. Incidentally that might mean we can get some through work yay.

The exchange rate puts the cost at $1076.48(NZ) but add on freight to the bottom of the world and duties you'd add a couple of hundred dollars.

In New Zealand we'd compare the exchange rate more to Australia which comes out to $1207.96(NZ) so once again add a few dollars for duties and add GST (Goods and Services Tax) and it works out relatively ok.
post #55 of 74
Quote:

Nope because Telecom's XT network is 3G. The problem with Telecom's XT network (aside from it being run by Telecom) is that it is AT&T equivalent service.

Vodafone is the far better network for data at the moment simply because they've been doing GSM since day one.
post #56 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

In New Zealand we'd compare the exchange rate more to Australia which comes out to $1207.96(NZ) so once again add a few dollars for duties and add GST (Goods and Services Tax) and it works out relatively ok.

There isn't any duty on computer equipment coming into NZ
post #57 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

In New Zealand we'd compare the exchange rate more to Australia .

no we wouldn't. Especially for a 'US' product.
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #58 of 74
I had high hopes that the IPad would turn out to be Apple's Netbook in the MacBook Air style. Very lightweight but with full Mac OSX capabilities, even more ideal for travellers. I was very disappointed to find it seems to be basically an oversized IPod. I guess like many others I will have to go for a NetBook after all.
post #59 of 74
Quote:

Yup. And same plugs as the pommies.
post #60 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by cell-gfx View Post

I reckon they'll almost all be gone by the weekend. If nothing else bought by people intending to sell them overseas...! Ala iPhone 3G/3GS etc.
post #61 of 74
Quote:

Quote:

The "US" adapter says 100-240V, 50-60 Hz AC, so you just need an adapter that changes the shape of the plug and it should work anywhere in the world. I can't find a way to get a official replacement head for other types of sockets.
post #62 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotia View Post

I had high hopes that the IPad would turn out to be Apple's Netbook in the MacBook Air style. Very lightweight but with full Mac OSX capabilities, even more ideal for travellers. I was very disappointed to find it seems to be basically an oversized IPod. I guess like many others I will have to go for a NetBook after all.

You really should experience the iPad before judging it...

Saying an iPad is an oversized iPod is like saying a swimming pool is an oversized bathtub!

... you can get away with whizzing in a swimming pool... a bathtub, not so much!

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #63 of 74
The iPad launch in Singapore was pure craziness..... Most of the resellers nearer to residential areas had all the stock of various capacity 3G iPad snapped up within the 1st hour of launch.

And by midday, almost all the iPad available national wide have been snapped up, even the WiFi-only iPads.

One thing to note on the launch at this round of 9 countries is that the Apple Online Store did not offer iPad. Even until today, it's still not available on Apple Online Store for these 9 countries, an indication that Apple is unable to meet demand on iPad globally.
post #64 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaicka View Post

The iPad launch in Singapore was pure craziness..... Most of the resellers nearer to residential areas had all the stock of various capacity 3G iPad snapped up within the 1st hour of launch.

And by midday, almost all the iPad available national wide have been snapped up, even the WiFi-only iPads.

One thing to note on the launch at this round of 9 countries is that the Apple Online Store did not offer iPad. Even until today, it's still not available on Apple Online Store for these 9 countries, an indication that Apple is unable to meet demand on iPad globally.

Good observation re: not available online, and thanks for the report on Singapore. Was wondering how it went. I only saw a few pics and reports on hardwarezone.com.sg
post #65 of 74
Quote:

The "US" adapter says 100-240V, 50-60 Hz AC, so you just need an adapter that changes the shape of the plug and it should work anywhere in the world. I can't find a way to get a official replacement head for other types of sockets.

The Apple official World Travel Adapter Kit has all the various "duck heads" replacement heads
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...co=MTY3ODQ5OTY
post #66 of 74
Quote:

I've heard of at least two other similar home-grown projects in India, but they really haven't panned out so far. The previous hyped super-cheap computer project from India turned out to be nothing more than a USB drive with a two line LCD screen. This new iteration does look interesting, so maybe they are getting it right? I don't expect that price to hold though, that's roughly the alleged price of the LCD that's in the iPad.

Those projects were aimed at students and they will be of low configuration. that much can be said from the price. However, I dont think they will see mainstream adaptation.
Heard of Olivepad for about 25k(rs). that would be the first 3g pad. But, I can say iPad can be pretty successful if it has the first come advantage though.
Same Apple. Same Mac. Different Take. Different Place. http://Applemacness.com
Same Apple. Same Mac. Different Take. Different Place. http://Applemacness.com
post #67 of 74
I've had one for a while now and it's not that exciting. It has weakling little apps. But I do like the email program, maps program, and photo browser. Very nice. I think there will be some more killer apps figured out soon, people are still getting their heads around what it should be for.
post #68 of 74
The 8GB 3GS is $A719 ($NZ882) in Australia + $A75 ($A92) to unlock it. Vodafone retail.

Quote:

We don't have finalised prices for the iP4 yet, although the official release is July 30. We'll know next Friday. The 8GB 3Gs costs NZ$900 unlocked, but I got mine for $0.00 on my business plan. Nice phone too. Still getting used to typing on screen tho'.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #69 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

no we wouldn't. Especially for a 'US' product.

Yes we do because our gear doesn't come from America it comes from Japan by way of Australia. Therefore we pay double the shipping and by the time we add GST we are just over Australian pricing.

It doesn't make sense to compare our rates to America because we don't even come close to American pricing.
post #70 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotia View Post

Unfortunately for you you've completely misunderstood the concept of a tablet and why tablets have failed in the past.

A tablet is not meant to be a desktop or laptop replacement like those stupidly underpowered netbooks are but are in fact meant to complement them allowing you to do tasks where even a laptop is too bulky... including the MacBook Air.

Look at the sci-fi world and you get a great idea of what a tablet is meant to be about. It's meant to be a device that hooks into a bigger system. Star Trek uses them like that, Babylon 5 had them, as well as others I can't think of off hand now. NONE of those shows ever showed them as being like laptops or netbooks and none of them ever had desktop styled operating systems on them.
post #71 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The 8GB 3GS is $A719 ($NZ882) in Australia + $A75 ($A92) to unlock it. Vodafone retail.

They're already unlocked here in New Zealand. In fact there has been no locked Apple devices here in New Zealand ever.
post #72 of 74
I was looking forward to getting my hands on one, here in Hong Kong, but when I learned that the current version of the iPad OS only supports simplified Chinese (the kind used in China and Singapore), I decided to skip this version. I do wonder how Chinese users in Hong Kong, Taiwan and those living overseas are going to deal with inputting Chinese text and/or importing data in Chinese. I have read of horror stories with Chinese song titles being converted to rubbish alphanumeric crap. I know there are apps that can take care of this problem, but they require jailbreaking the device. This is the exact same thing with all iPhones, which is why so far I have resisted buying one. Apple's fault. Don't the software guys at Apple get feedback from their Chinese users. Handwriting input in Chinese, on iPhones, takes forever, and whoever is watching over your shoulder can easily see what you're inputting. Maybe jailbreaking is the ONLY solution after all...
post #73 of 74
iPad for many people is a TOY. A very, very fun toy.

What's wrong with that?? I ask you.

You could drive a Hyundai or a Lexus. Do you "need" a Lexus? when the job being done is moving you from point A to point B?

Stupid rhetoric about "what is its purpose?" or "an oversized iPod touch".

Well, millions of people find fun and utility in it.

If it doesn't float your boat, don't buy it. And I bet you don't drive a Lexus either.

Freedom to buy and enjoy an Internet consumption device whose interface is nothing short of cool and smooth and amazing, is freedom you do indeed have.

But until you've spent a weekend with an iPad, why give us your reasons why it won't work, when it is already hugely popular? Lost cause.
post #74 of 74
Got my iPad in Dublin, Ireland last sunday the 25th and I must say up take must have been very slow or stocks were in large numbers. They had 10x 16GB WiFi models in stock 2 days after the launch day! No need for over night queuing in Ireland.

Maybe Ireland is looking forward to a WebOS or Android variant?!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Excited customers in 9 new countries brave long lines for Apple's iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Excited customers in 9 new countries brave long lines for Apple's iPad