or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Official Christian Thread!

Official Christian Thread! - Page 6

post #201 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormhole View Post

Are you saying the god's word could not be understood...

God's word was well understood by all in the prevailing language of the time; no need to introduce some tangent discussion on the differences between high German and the low German language to derail a thread is evidently your want and traditional characteristic herein...
post #202 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Somewhere where the standard of living is high and taxes are lower, perhaps?

Notice I don't live in the US. But actually, taxes aren't the reason I left, though I do pay far less than I would in the States. I don't even have to denounce my citizenship because I am under the threshold where my income supersedes our tax treaty. And of course I don't have to pay State or local taxes... and where I am I don't have to pay sales tax or GST.

What am I saying? AFAIK you don't live in the US either (and in a place with a lower standard of living). At least to the threshold level, your taxes should be lower than they would be in the States as well. Are you even a US citizen?

Oh, I know i could live where taxes are lower... but, the post was in response to comparing churches (tithing) to government (taxes) ... church tithing being optional, government taxes NOT. The fact that you still pay taxes while living abroad (even if lower) simply reinforces my observation that no matter where you go you are subject to taxation by SOME government entity... whereas there is no legal requirement to pay a church tithe. (well... maybe... in some Muslim states... and just a few hundred years ago, in many christian states.)
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #203 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

God's word was well understood by all in the prevailing language of the time; no need to introduce some tangent discussion on the differences between high German and the low German language to derail a thread is evidently your want and traditional characteristic herein...

Really...?
Did you know that it was Adolf Hitler who demanded that the Catholic Church hold sermons in German language and not latin? That was 1928.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #204 of 444
"Son of God". On the surface, one heck of a claim. What does this term mean to Christians?
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #205 of 444
Quote:

Really...? Did you know that it was Adolf Hitler....

Only 203 posts before a known progressive liberal Godwin's it... return on topic to Christianity please!!!
post #206 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Oh, I know i could live where taxes are lower... but, the post was in response to comparing churches (tithing) to government (taxes) ... church tithing being optional, government taxes NOT. The fact that you still pay taxes while living abroad (even if lower) simply reinforces my observation that no matter where you go you are subject to taxation by SOME government entity... whereas there is no legal requirement to pay a church tithe. (well... maybe... in some Muslim states... and just a few hundred years ago, in many christian states.)

Well, you could move to somewhere where there are no roads, no police, no national defense, no social safety net, no court system, no jails, no currency, no public transportation, no airports, no border control, no customs, no public medical system, no disaster relief... etc.

Or do you not get it? TAXES PAY FOR STUFF. Duh.
post #207 of 444
Quote:

Or do you not get it? TAXES PAY FOR STUFF. Duh.

yes, but in THIS thread... the comparison was tithe vs taxes... voluntary vs mandatory. (not what gets done with the collected cash)
post #208 of 444
Quote:

yes, but in THIS thread... the comparison was tithe vs taxes... voluntary vs mandatory. (not what gets done with the collected cash)

And the consequences attached to not paying either of them. This attempt to draw such a string equivalency between a tithe and taxes is amusing and intellectually dishonest at best and rather troubling and disturbing at worst because it suggests an attempt to do a little sleight-of-hand on what taxes really are.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #209 of 444
Quote:

But as is the case with the Mormon Church, tithing is mandatory. It is not voluntary unless you want to leave the church.
post #210 of 444
Constitution 1: LDS 0
post #211 of 444
Amen.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #212 of 444
Quote:

But as is the case with the Mormon Church, tithing is mandatory. It is not voluntary unless you want to leave the church.

But if you don't pay, you don't get thrown in jail (after having your property confiscated first). Do you see the difference yet?

post #213 of 444
Quote:

I am not forced or coerced in any way to tithe. I do it because I can't afford not to. The temporal and spiritual blessings I have received from it are quite real.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #214 of 444
Quote:

And we demonstrated that you can simply stop going to church and not have to tithe anymore... but you can't "leave" the US (or any other country) and get away from taxes... taxes are still mandatory anywhere you go. I', not trying to discuss taxes so much as trying to demonstrate that comparing tithing to paying taxes is not even close.

It even qualifies as a POSITIVE thing about christianity... you can walk away from it when you grow up with no negative consequences!
post #215 of 444
Quote:

And we demonstrated that you can simply stop going to church and not have to tithe anymore... but you can't "leave" the US (or any other country) and get away from taxes... taxes are still mandatory anywhere you go. I', not trying to discuss taxes so much as trying to demonstrate that comparing tithing to paying taxes is not even close.

It even qualifies as a POSITIVE thing about christianity... you can walk away from it when you grow up with no negative consequences!

All Mor(m)ons should be ashamed that their fascist organization is using their tithing to promote inequality.
Don't send your idiot kids to my house in suits telling me about Jesus gay sex life.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #216 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

But if you don't pay, you don't get thrown in jail (after having your property confiscated first). Do you see the difference yet?

No, you don't see the similarity. It's next to impossible for a country of which you're a citizen to kick you out. Perhaps if it were easier, it would be done.
post #217 of 444
Quote:

No, you don't see the similarity. It's next to impossible for a country of which you're a citizen to kick you out. Perhaps if it were easier, it would be done.

The similarity is in your imagination. There is none in reality. The parallels are tenuous and superficial...at best. I have no idea why you are even trying to make this equivalence. What is the purpose of it? What is the point of it?

post #218 of 444
Quote:

All Mor(m)ons should be ashamed that their fascist organization is using their tithing to promote inequality.
Don't send your idiot kids to my house in suits telling me about Jesus gay sex life.

Church Statement on Proposition 8 Ruling

Quote:
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints regrets todays decision. California voters have twice been given the opportunity to vote on the definition of marriage in their state and both times have determined that marriage should be recognized as only between a man and a woman. We agree. Marriage between a man and a woman is the bedrock of society.

We recognize that this decision represents only the opening of a vigorous debate in the courts over the rights of the people to define and protect this most fundamental institutionmarriage.

There is no doubt that todays ruling will add to the marriage debate in this country, and we urge people on all sides of this issue to act in a spirit of mutual respect and civility toward those with a different opinion.

post #219 of 444
Are you a mormon, Jazzguru?

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #220 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Are you a mormon, Jazzguru?

Yes, I am.

post #221 of 444
So, you do know that native americans have been genetically proven not to be a lost tribe of Israel, right?

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #222 of 444
Quote:

So, you do know that native americans have been genetically proven not to be a lost tribe of Israel, right?

That is debatable. But my faith is not based on DNA evidence. It is in Jesus Christ, the Savior of all mankind.

But for your consideration:

DNA and the Book of Mormon

post #223 of 444
You being mormon makes a lot more sense. In the interest of full disclosure, I find mormonism to be far more detestable than many other faiths. You ruined the boy scouts. You were behind prop 8. The story is so incredibly thin it makes other people who believe in wacky shit say, "damn, that's some wacky shit."

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #224 of 444
I respect your opinion and your right to state it.

As an Eagle Scout, I think the Boy Scouts was one of the best things I participated in growing up.

We're taking the brunt of the wrath over Prop 8, but in reality a broad coalition of several organizations - religious and non-religious - supported it. Mormons are just an easy target.

post #225 of 444
As an Eagle Scout, I think the boy scouts are great. But not when they discriminate against atheists and gays. Before the mormons decided to make the boy scouts their official youth group, we didn't have this kind of bigotry.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #226 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

The similarity is in your imagination. There is none in reality. The parallels are tenuous and superficial...at best. I have no idea why you are even trying to make this equivalence. What is the purpose of it? What is the point of it?

Because self-serving hypocrisy disgusts me.
post #227 of 444
Quote:

As an Eagle Scout, I think the boy scouts are great. But not when they discriminate against atheists and gays...

Rubbish!

As I am sure you'd know as an Eagle Scout, the Boy Scouts of America (BSA), one of the largest private youth organizations in the United States, was founded as a Christian organization; that is its charter... if you don't believe in God and prefer alternate lifestyles don't try to join such a Christian organization or complain when it follows its charter - there are thousands of other organizations that you'd find more acceptable that cater to your beliefs!!!
post #228 of 444
Quote:

Because self-serving hypocrisy disgusts me.

Me too but, in your view, what is the hypocrisy in this instance?

post #229 of 444
Fanatical Muslim Taliban Members kill more innocent Christians aid workers:

Eight foreign medical workers killed in Afghanistan
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6760DN20100807
(Reuters) - Gunmen killed 10 medical workers, including eight foreigners, in Afghanistan's remote northeast, police and officials said on Saturday, and the Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack. A Christian aid group said those killed matched descriptions of members of one of its mobile eye clinics who had been traveling in northeastern Nuristan province and were heading back to Kabul after providing medical care for local Afghans.
post #230 of 444
Murder is bad. It violates the golden rule. Detestable actions. Completely.

Now, keeping that in mind...

Were these Christian aid workers also prosthelytizing? Again, it's not an excuse to commit murder. But I'm just wondering if that's the case.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #231 of 444
Quote:

Were these Christian aid workers also prosthelytizing? Again, it's not an excuse to commit murder. But I'm just wondering if that's the case.

Please explain how that is relevant? Is Islam such a fanatical religion so as to not allow other faiths to advertise? How is whether Christian aid workers were prosthelytizing at all an excuse for murder?
post #232 of 444
Murder is bad. It violates the golden rule. Detestable actions. Completely.

Now, keeping that in mind...

Is that any more clear for you now David? FFS.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #233 of 444
Quote:

? Is Islam such a fanatical religion so as to not allow other faiths to advertise??

Yes.

I certainly don't think it's worth killing someone, but some of them do.
IF they were prostletizing, they likely knew it would get them in trouble, but felt it was worth the risk. Even if they weren't, they had to know just being there was a risky proposition.

When in Rome ...
post #234 of 444
Quote:

IF they were prostletizing ...

If? What if they were? More important, isn't that what the Ground Zero Mosque is for in NYC? Since when is preaching - what the secular call prostletizing - a bad thing? Jesus Christ did that and we don't fault him for it.
post #235 of 444
Quote:

If? What if they were? More important, isn't that what the Ground Zero Mosque is for in NYC? Since when is preaching - what the secular call prostletizing - a bad thing? Jesus Christ did that and we don't fault him for it.

Well, supposedly they were there as medical workers, not preachers, hence the "IF".

If they were, well... they had to know the local authorities would frown on such behavior!!!

Yes, that's what the mosque is for, but I'm pretty sure that's still allowed in the U.S.

Some of us aren't too keen on having other people tell us we're gonna burn in the pits of hell if we don't believe in some imaginary man in the sky.

No, we didn't "fault" JC for it... we crucified him for it!
post #236 of 444
Solar Power for Churches

My CA rep sent me this. The cork came out. I am going to move into the" Jesus wants solar" biz. Let's pray together.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #237 of 444
Quote:

Well, supposedly they were there as medical workers, not preachers, hence the "IF".

If they were, well... they had to know the local authorities would frown on such behavior!!!

Yes, that's what the mosque is for, but I'm pretty sure that's still allowed in the U.S.

Some of us aren't too keen on having other people tell us we're gonna burn in the pits of hell if we don't believe in some imaginary man in the sky.

No, we didn't "fault" JC for it... we crucified him for it!

I have never had a Muslim ring my doorbell on a saturday and shove the Q'ran into my face. However no 3 weeks go by that some idiot christian does this with the bible.
I want the killing of these people to be legal. The bible is a weapon of mass dumbing down and I should be able to defend myself and my family against it without repercussions.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #238 of 444
Quote:

I have never had a Muslim ring my doorbell on a saturday and shove the Q'ran into my face. However no 3 weeks go by that some idiot christian does this with the bible...

Reality check here Worm; the fanatical Muslims are the one's strapping explosives to their chest and violently killing civilians while the fanatical Christians are the ones urging you to read scripture and peacefully spreading Christ's message... perhaps even you can see the difference!
post #239 of 444
Quote:

Reality check here Worm; the fanatical Muslims are the one's strapping explosives to their chest and violently killing civilians while the fanatical Christians are the ones urging you to read scripture and peacefully spreading Christ's message... perhaps even you can see the difference!

Radical Christians used and use guns to kill innocent people, doctors at that, use bombs to blow up buildings, They bless nuclear weapons and howitzers, I think even you can see the similarities.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #240 of 444
When I read about this, I was outraged that "Christians" could take part in something like this

http://www.examiner.com/x-44332-Colu...-the-Koran-Day

and then ask why we are hated in many parts of the world.
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Official Christian Thread!