or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple adds Motorola Droid X to iPhone 4 death grip page

Apple adds Motorola Droid X to iPhone 4 death grip page - Page 5

post #161 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I agree and disagree. Yes, they are ready to move on but they will jump at the chance for any info that will paint Apple in a bad light. Media today is based on page hits and that is a first-come-first-serve business. The past and future dont matter, only the now, so I dont think a single media outlet is even concerned about how they looked a couple weeks ago on this issue.

I wasn't so much referring to the "media" as about individual, reputable journalists who have some pride and integrity involved in what they do. For them, looking like a fool is not so pleasant, and they realize that they were totally played on this issue.
post #162 of 271
According to Huber's Law, by the time the suffix "gate" gets appended to an issue, it has 90% blown over. N.B. The only "gate" exception to the rule is the original, the political dirty tricks break in at the Watergate. But then, "gate" wasn't added, it just was.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #163 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I wasn't so much referring to the "media" as about individual, reputable journalists who have some pride and integrity involved in what they do. For them, looking like a fool is not so pleasant, and they realize that they were totally played on this issue.

Point taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

According to Huber's Law, by the time the suffix "gate" gets appended to an issue, it has 90% blown over. N.B. The only "gate" exception to the rule is the original, the political dirty tricks break in at the Watergate. But then, "gate" wasn't added, it just was.

Suffix-cation?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #164 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by phalanx View Post

Please enlighten us where on any other phone you can put one finger and lose 5 bars? "Industry wide phenomena" my eye. Apple diluted this problem by talking about a "Death Grip". No one complained about a "Death Grip". They complained about the fact that if any part of their hand touched one spot on the side of the phone, it dropped calls. Grow up Apple, we are not in the 1st grade anymore, admit you screwed up and fix it, and move on. Don't point at your other classmates. MAN UP!!!! I guess the "great innovators" "missed a spot".

Apple did admit they made an imperfect phone and they are trying to move on. It's people like you that won't move on. The phones gotten great reviews, people are loving theirs and there's a line a mile long to get one. I think it's time for the "finger of death" naysayers to move on. The phone works fine. The finger of death is logically comparable to the death grip because in daily use you grip your phone, not finger it moron.
post #165 of 271
Quote:

PS: To those with bulging batteries, make sure you emphasis the bulge of the battery, the affect it has on other components, and the state the potential fire hazard. This is Apple’s problem, despite what the trolls want to tell you.

Absolutely right. I bought my 17" MacBook Pro in 2007. In February of this year, I took it to the Knox Street Apple Store with the bulging battery issue and they replaced it with no questions asked. I didn't have to emphasize anything other than I wanted a new battery.
post #166 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rind View Post

Havent so much as seen the new iPhone in person.

We decided to switch to Verizon since the Wife found out she gets a really nice discount from them. The plan will end up being cheaper then AT&T.
That is the only reason I agreed to switch as I really like the iPhone, But I like keeping money also

What's your wife get? I get 18% off my phone bill, but Verizon and AT&T both honor it.
post #167 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

And there're people saying exactly the same thing with their IP4s, even in this thread. What does that tell you? That Apple is lying, or that Apple is right that the issue happens to every phones and only affect a small part of user?

I have an iP4 and the most bars I've managed to lose is to go from 3 to 2. Also, the touch wasn't enough, I had to press the entire spot into the palm of my hand to make it do anything. The people who have starting 5 bars and can go to no signal really need to take their phone in for a replacement. The ars testing even showed that is way out of spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Absolutely right. I bought my 17" MacBook Pro in 2007. In February of this year, I took it to the Knox Street Apple Store with the bulging battery issue and they replaced it with no questions asked. I didn't have to emphasize anything other than I wanted a new battery.

Yep, bulging battery is a fire hazard and replaced on the spot. Anyone who says they are denying it is likely lying. On my old C2D MBP they replaced it without question and I didn't have Applecare and was way out of the normal warranty.
post #168 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

No, antennagate is about the Finger of Death, not about the deathgrip. Steve Jobs snookered his loyal followers into thinking that Apple is just like everyone else. WRONG. Only the iPhone 4 has the Finger of Death.

Show me another phone which you can touch with one finger and the signal goes to zero.

This is actually a strong selling point for me...

ALL phones have signal issues when held or touched in certain ways

With the iPhone I MAY have to move a single finger

With OTHER phones I may have to rearrange my entire natural grip.

I'm glad that this common problem is much easier to spot and fix on the iPhone. I'm also glad for the better overall signal strength I'll be getting with the iPhone's bold new antenna design.
post #169 of 271
Quote:

Suffix-cation?

Ooooo, I like it!

...and, you're right of course about the battery. Without hesitation, Apple replaced my out-of-warranty MBP bulging battery which caused a couple of keys to "stick".
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

post #170 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

And there're people saying exactly the same thing with their IP4s, even in this thread. What does that tell you? That Apple is lying, or that Apple is right that the issue happens to every phones and only affect a small part of user?

Given my personal (now 2 week) experience with the iPhone 4 while vacationing in Tahoe (the spouse bought one), I'm going with 'Apple Is Lying'... or at least being highly deceptive.

Note: Your experience may differ, but this one is mine and my family's based on the reality of actually using the handset)
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #171 of 271
Har!

This just goes to prove what we knew all along - all cellphones suffer signal loss if held in a certain way. But the Droid Death Grip "iPhone Killer" looses MUCH more than the iP4, which has the best reception of any phone.
post #172 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDukDong View Post

And why don't you stop lying, you pathetic Apple Butt-Boy.

Go to one of the grown-up Apple discussion sites like Macintouch, and you'll find plenty of reports about people who weren't given replacement batteries when their bulging batteries were out of warranty.

OT; What do you think they mean when a bunch of non-mac users say that they don't like macs because they think that the machines are tied out and have little control over computer? Speed/ OC/FSB at-cetera? Peace
post #173 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

It also won't have your iPhone Apps, that's if you've got any, enjoy your trip to the Android market, good luck finding replacements, don't forget to have your credit card handy.

As an avid customer of both 'markets', the truth is that the Android Market has a much larger percentage of quality apps that are either free of charge or priced less than their functionally-equal versions in the Apple Apps Store. As a matter of fact, some of the better GOOGLE Experience apps (Goggles, Talk, Voice, and Full TbT Navigation with Google Maps, etc.) have no real Apple Apps Store equivalents, and are Still Free.

Note: There's no better perspective than that of one having extensive experience with both environments.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #174 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

If you hold the iPhone in a natural way, it won't suffer from this and won't drop calls. If you insist on holding your finger over the antenna, it will drop bars, but for the most part still won't drop the call. If you are in a marginal signal area while participating in such hijinks, you might drop the call.

The problem is that when those jokers put their hijinks up on YouTube, the Bloggers go into a feeding frenzy.

This whole thing has been totally manufactured by the Bloggers. How can they sleep at night?

The fact of the matter is that the iP4 gets the best reception of any phone, bar none. If you hold it in a natural manner, it will not drop calls. But not when you want to hold it in some bizarre manner. Then you get hits in your Blog instead.
post #175 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

The problem is that when those jokers put their hijinks up on YouTube, the Bloggers go into a feeding frenzy.

This whole thing has been totally manufactured by the Bloggers. How can they sleep at night?

The fact of the matter is that the iP4 gets the best reception of any phone, bar none. If you hold it in a natural manner, it will not drop calls. But not when you want to hold it in some bizarre manner. Then you get hits in your Blog instead.

So...

What exactly constitutes a 'natural manner', or are you unaware that human beings differ dramatically in the sizes, shapes, and comfort-levels of their hands and fingers...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #176 of 271
good job , apple ! fxxk them all...
post #177 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

I do my best to avoid dealing with liars. If they lie once then they are likely to be lying about other things.

That is an excellent policy. That is why all these whiners are trying to paint Steve as a liar - so that people will buy their products instead. Somehow, I don't think it will work. Everybody knows that Steve is NOT a liar.

André Gil's Blog » Steve Jobs: From Genius to… Crazy and Liar?
http://blog.andregil.net/2010/04/ste...razy-and-liar/

Steve Jobs is a great liar « The Jason Calacanis Weblog
http://calacanis.com/2005/10/12/stev...-a-great-liar/

Lies, damn lies, and Steve Jobs keynotes | Technology | guardian.co.uk
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...esandstevejobs

Steve Jobs Blatently Lies About iPhone 4 Underlying Issue
http://www.ozcarguide.com/technology...per-steve-jobs

Larry Page Calls Steve Jobs A Liar
http://www.businessinsider.com/larry...history-2010-7

Steve Jobs Is a Bald-Faced Liar - 'Nutritional problem' a crock ...
http://www.newser.com/story/62725/st...aced-liar.html

Andy Plesser: "Steve Jobs is an Excellent Liar,"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andy-p..._b_604127.html

Jobs lies in "thoughts on Flash"
http://www.blixtsystems.com/2010/04/...ghts-on-flash/

iTunes Prize Winner Calls Steve Jobs a Liar!
http://chris.pirillo.com/itunes-priz...e-jobs-a-liar/

Steve Jobs' Big Fat Lies?
http://www.muktware.com/blog/02/2010/154

Apple, Liar, Liar Pants on Fire - iPhone 3G is not exactly the ...
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Apple...re-87931.shtml

Every one of these Bloggers needs to learn not to print such bad stories!
post #178 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondinperth View Post

good job , apple ! fxxk them all...

... and while your at it:

Apple please re-engineer the iPhone4's antenna system (Suggestion: put it back inside the case where it's far less susceptible to easy attenuation) so that you won't feel the need to go around doing all this 'blaming others for your error' and 'damage control' that does more to make you look whiny and petty than anything else.

I Know You Can Do It.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #179 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooru View Post

drop your phone and crack or shatter it and bam! you're out of $199 for a replacement. no sympathy, you broke it you pay!

Most everybody uses a case, so I don't think that will be a major problem.
post #180 of 271
Quote:

If my car's not working I don't care if it's the electrical system or the fuel system, all I care about is my car not working and I'll leave it to a mechanic to figure out why...

And if the mechanic lied to you and says "don't worry; all cars do that; let me show you videos of a Mercedes not running, and another of a Lexus not running..." would you exhibit such lemming-like incuriousness?
post #181 of 271
Quote:

Most everybody uses a case, so I don't think that will be a major problem.

Sweeping 'generalizations' are most often incorrect...

Any Actual Statistics... ?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #182 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Yes please teach us Prof... What is the correct or normal way to hold phone? The nerve.

Steve was holding it normally and correctly during the Keynote:

http://www.boncherry.com/blog/wp-con...steve-jobs.jpg

Here is the DeathGrip, which is neither correct nor normal:
http://images.apple.com/antenna/imag...g-20100715.jpg
post #183 of 271
Quote:

Users should never have to be told how to hold their phone, as it should be engineered to function efficiently no matter how it's held (within reason).
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #184 of 271
Quote:

It also won't have your iPhone Apps, that's if you've got any, enjoy your trip to the Android market, good luck finding replacements, don't forget to have your credit card handy.

I have a friend that recently switched from the iPhone to a Droid Incredible. He had absolutely no issues finding replacement apps. As said before, there are also plenty of unique apps on the Market that aren't available in the App Store (Google Experience apps, home screen launchers, overclocking, themes, etc). If it's not there, it won't be long until it does show up. Plenty of the developers are adding in Android equivalent apps.

And what do you mean about needing to have your credit card handy? As far as I can tell, you input it once and it remembers it for all future purchases, which is just like iTunes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habañero View Post

And if the mechanic lied to you and says "don't worry; all cars do that; let me show you videos of a Mercedes not running, and another of a Lexus not running..." would you exhibit such lemming-like incuriousness?

Not knowing at least what system's causing the issue and leaving it all up to the mechanic is a very dangerous thing to do indeed...

Quote:

I tried using "death grip" mode and it causes the fingers to be sandwiched uncomfortably against the face, as well as pushing the bottom of the phone away from the face. It's just awkward.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
post #185 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Users should never have to be told how to hold their phone, as it should be engineered to function efficiently no matter how it's held (within reason).

Why? Why should everything function any way anybody wants? A manufacturer makes something to function a certain way. If people like it, they buy it. If they don't, they complain as if apple owes them something. It functions well enough for most.
post #186 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcs123 View Post

Why? Why should everything function any way anybody wants? A manufacturer makes something to function a certain way. If people like it, they buy it. If they don't, they complain as if apple owes them something. It functions well enough for most.

Cellular phones are hardly a new invention, nor is Apple's iPhone brand new to the market, and as such, there already exist a reasonable standard/expectation with regard to how it can be held and still function properly.

Given that (again) human beings do come equipped with various hand/finger sizes, yes - including iPhone users, proper engineering would take this ergonomic variance into consideration without strictly dictating how the user must hold the phone.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #187 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Yes, correct. It's a light touch (reproducible with a single finger) rather than some kind of hard grip that causes problems with some iPhone 4 units.

This is the difference between the iPhone 4 and other phones.

And yet, Apple and others are still posting video after video showing someone purposefully gripping onto phones tight in order to show dropped bars. That's not the issue that was originally reported at all!

Well, no, all the initial videos put online showed the phone being gripped, which is why this has been dubbed the "death grip." Then once the 3G-spot was discovered, a few videos surfaced showing how the signal could be degraded with a touch of the finger to a very specific location on the phone.
post #188 of 271
I proved that his old Droid dropped signal to my colleague on the same day Apple had the "antenna-gate" meeting. His response was "Holy sh*t"

Another Verizon fan (mutual colleague) got the new Droid X and was surprised to see it drop as well but vowed to stick with Verizon although he admits the iPhone is a nicer phone.

I am hoping that Apple somehow comes up with a solution to this issue, gets a patent on it and then collect licensing fees from all the cell phone makers.

Time will tell.
post #189 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

I proved that his old Droid dropped signal to my colleague on the same day Apple had the "antenna-gate" meeting. His response was "Holy sh*t"

Another Verizon fan (mutual colleague) got the new Droid X and was surprised to see it drop as well but vowed to stick with Verizon although he admits the iPhone is a nicer phone.

I am hoping that Apple somehow comes up with a solution to this issue, gets a patent on it and then collect licensing fees from all the cell phone makers.

Time will tell.

The solution already exists: Put The Antenna(s) Back Inside The Handset.

Note: ...and there's probably no way to legitimately patent common sense.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #190 of 271
Quote:

The solution already exists: Put The Antenna(s) Back Inside The Handset.

Note: ...and there's probably no way to legitimately patent common sense.

Well, Apple tends to innovate well beyond other competitors. They tend to shake things up with their designs instead of seating around endlessly in a "Me Too" position.

That's why they re-invented the cell phone and re-invented the music industry and are leading the charge in mobile video conferencing amongst other things. That's why the competitors are mimicking Apple although poorly, as quickly as possible.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20...?tag=cnetRiver

Time will tell.
post #191 of 271
I just realized why this antennagate is getting such a long long play. It's like the Star Trek episode "Day of the Dove," where the Klingons and the crew of Enterprise mindlessly kill and maim each other day after day, not knowing that they are pawns of a malicious alien entity that thrive off the anger and hate.

That is why this not issue is being kept alive by both Mac, Windows and Google blog sites. They don't care who is right, as long as it generates a lot of angry and repetitive debate. This is the ultimate flame bait for this year. It keeps bring people back wanting more of the same, feeding the blog. They must be making a killing off this topic.

It's time to bury this issue. Nothing is solved and you guys have better things to do.

"Out! We need no urging to hate humans. But for the present, only a fool fights in a burning house."
- Kang to the entity, quoting a Klingon proverb

JoeG
post #192 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

... I am hoping that Apple somehow comes up with a solution to this issue, gets a patent on it and then collect licensing fees from all the cell phone makers.

Time will tell.

Better yet, *don't* licence it once it's found (Apple rarely licences out their stuff anyway, especially hardware solutions).

I mean all the other phones (according to their supporters), don't have this problem so why would they need to licence it?
post #193 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by joguide View Post

I just realized why this antennagate is getting such a long long play. It's like the Star Trek episode "Day of the Dove," where the Klingons and the crew of Enterprise mindlessly kill and maim each other day after day, not knowing that they are pawns of a malicious alien entity that thrive off the anger and hate.

That is why this not issue is being kept alive by both Mac, Windows and Google blog sites. They don't care who is right, as long as it generates a lot of angry and repetitive debate. This is the ultimate flame bait for this year. It keeps bring people back wanting more of the same, feeding the blog. They must be making a killing off this topic.

It's time to bury this issue. Nothing is solved and you guys have better things to do.

"Out! We need no urging to hate humans. But for the present, only a fool fights in a burning house."
- Kang to the entity, quoting a Klingon proverb

JoeG

Yes. It's time to bury this issue but there is another side this story which also comes down to making money and involves Apple's competitors. Did you notice how quickly Nokia and others jumped on the "antenna-gate" wagon to prop up their cell phones knowing very well that their phones did the same thing?

It is a "dog eat dog" world. Especially when you're in a leading position.

Time will tell.
post #194 of 271
The lies are starting to pile up in this thread. Now the haters are pretending to own the very device that they love to hate. One even overheard a sales associates steering potential customers away from the iPhone 4 - at not one, but two different stores. Now, after 4 weeks of referencing Consumer Reports et al., they've managed to score the sold out phone - an attempt to muster credibility? You betcha.

You people are ridiculous. Fail!
post #195 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

The lies are starting to pile up in this thread. Now the haters are pretending to own the very device that they love to hate. One even overheard a sales associates steering potential customers away from the iPhone 4 - at not one, but two different stores. Now, after 4 weeks of referencing Consumer Reports et al., they've managed to score the sold out phone - an attempt to muster credibility? You betcha.

You people are ridiculous. Fail!

Postulant: a person admitted to a religious order as a probationary candidate for membership

Keep the faith... If you continue with such baseless/blind fanatical rants, it's certain that the truly 'Apple Elite' will someday increase your probationary status to that of a full-fledged member.

Ridiculous Indeed!
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #196 of 271
Quote:

I've said this before here, but I'll say it again: just saying something involving two products does not an analogy make; the situations have to actually be analogous. The above is not actually an analogy; it's just a different situation involving two products.

A valid analogy with cars might be something like: all rear wheel drive cars suffer from oversteer. (That may not be strictly true, but it is something that affects many rear wheel drive cars in certain conditions.) The cars run, you can drive them, but there can be some handling problems under certain conditions.

Your "analogy" would only be a valid analogy if it were the case that iP4s didn't actually work at all. See the difference? There, you got schooled for free.
post #197 of 271
Quote:

Keep the faith... If you continue with such baseless/blind fanatical rants, it's certain that the truly 'Apple Elite' will someday increase your probationary status to that of a full-fledged member.

Thanks for the chuckle...
post #198 of 271
Too bad a lot of the Google Applications are exclusive to America, it's a very different experience in Australia, there are a lot of demo's, themes and ringtone makers which seem to dominate.

Prices are all over the place in euro's, dollars. pounds and zlotls for all I know

I've tried with a HTC Magic, Legend and SonyEricsson X10.

It is so much easier to plug a new iPhone into iTunes and hit sync.

Quote:

As an avid customer of both 'markets', the truth is that the Android Market has a much larger percentage of quality apps that are either free of charge or priced less than their functionally-equal versions in the Apple Apps Store. As a matter of fact, some of the better GOOGLE Experience apps (Goggles, Talk, Voice, and Full TbT Navigation with Google Maps, etc.) have no real Apple Apps Store equivalents, and are Still Free.

Note: There's no better perspective than that of one having extensive experience with both environments.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #199 of 271
There are two sides to every story. Every smartphone has reception issues under the wrong circumstances. But the iPhone 4 does have a unique problem. I found a summary of articles that look at the issue from both sides:

http://www.ankleskater.com/pagemaker...20100725180015
post #200 of 271
How would that be lying?

A car not running is a car not running.

A phone dropping bars is a phone dropping bars.

There is no lying involved.

Quote:

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple adds Motorola Droid X to iPhone 4 death grip page